S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Colley.
S2: Hello everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: We put some really textured, wiry wool in people's hands and say, I want you to touch this and imagine that this is worked within this canvas, within this portrait, has really given people a different experience of this Archibald winning work.
S2: Welcome to the program. If you're an art lover who is blind or has low vision, and you live in a regional town in New South Wales or Victoria, you may be in luck as over the next few months the Archibald Prize may be heading in your direction as they bring a tactile exhibition to regional galleries around Australia. For the remainder of this year and into 2024. I had a chat with one of the organisers of the exhibition on the show this week and you'll hear from her very shortly, then following on from that in the second half of the program this week, we've got some highlights from the 2023 Vision Australia Annual General Meeting, which recently took place at Vision Australia's Kooyong head office. I hope you enjoyed this week's episode of Talking Vision. Our next guest is the senior Producer of Access programs at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, who are holding a Tactile Archibald Prize exhibition heading around the country to regional art galleries over the remainder of this year and into 2024. Her name is Danielle Golota and it's my great pleasure to be speaking with her now. Danielle, welcome to Talking Vision. Thank you very much for your time today.
S3: Thank you. Sam, thank you for the invitation.
S2: Let's have a chat about the tactile. Archibald, could you give our listeners a bit of an update?
S3: Over the last 15 years, the Art Gallery of New South Wales has always offered access programs in association with the Archibald Prize. And one in particular is our audio description program. And for our audio description program of the Archibald Prize, we always focus on about 6 to 8 artworks, where we invite people to come into the exhibition and hear very detailed descriptions of the portraits in the last 10 to 12 years. To support our audio description program, we have been producing tactile cutout reliefs that are handmade out of different types of cardboard and textured surfaces to accompany those detailed visual descriptions. Since becoming aware of Vision Australia's print media department and the amazing work that they do to make text and visual resources accessible, we've been working with your team there with their technology to actually rather than create handmade, tactile resources that have a limited lifetime, we've been working with your team to create acrylic 2D reliefs of a selected number of portraits for when people visit the Archibald Prize, they can have a tactile experience as well as here a visual description within an audio description program.
S2: Now, Danielle, let's have a chat about those audio description programs for our listeners who are blind or have low vision. Before we get back to the Archibald, tell us a bit about those.
S3: The gallery regularly provides free audio description programs, normally the first Wednesday and Saturday of the month. Those programs are online through our access programs, and I welcome whoever's listening to Log On or to call the Art Gallery New South Wales and come along and experience art and ideas within a small focus group model.
S2: Okay, perfect. That's definitely something for our New South Wales based listeners to get excited about. But just in relation to the Archibald back onto that topic. What's been the process behind selecting the portraits in particular, and which ones are selected to be converted into this tactile format? Is there any particular style that is sort of preferred, or is there any thought process that goes behind that?
S3: Definitely. Firstly, we focused on the 2023 exhibition that is just finished at the Art Gallery of New South Wales in Sydney, and now is touring to six other galleries. The way we made our selection is that we always focus on the winner, because the Archibald Prize being the most prestigious art prize in Australia, with the winner winning 100,000. It's always reported and repeated on the ABC news, so people would love to know who won. So we focus on the winning portrait and this year the winning portrait was by Julia Gutmann and the title of the work was head in the Sky feed on the ground. The other work we always focus on in our audio description program and subsequently had a tactile version created, is the Packing Room Prize and the Packing Room prize is awarded by the staff at the Art Gallery of New South Wales, who literally unpack all the finalists. And this year we had 949 entrants and we had 57 finalists. So the packing room prize is an important prize because we know that our staff have spent time observing, carrying, presenting the 949 works to our Board of trustees. So we always get that work printed. And then the other works that we've selected this year really try to highlight the broad approach to portraiture. So in 2023, we ensured that we had a breadth of examples, such as full length bust portraits that have a focus on the artist's gestures and body language, as well as portraits that really highlighted narratives that often were told through objects and the background that the subject is sitting in.
S2: And what's really interesting for me, Daniel, is the format of the winning portrait this year, Julia Guzman's work, head in the Sky, fat on the ground. As we discussed just earlier with the portrait of the singer songwriter Montana, which I believe was a collage of sorts, and that has its own sort of tactile elements to it in a natural sense, in an organic sense, where the medium that is being used is quite easy, perhaps in theory, to transfer into this accessible tactile format. Has that been the case?
S3: Well, it's I'm so glad you've brought up that Julia Goodman's work is a collage of fabrics that is layered through that sort of cutting and sewing. So it actually has been a really fantastic work to connect with all visitors, but in particular with people for people with low vision or who are blind, because not only did we have the relief acrylic that erase lines and show the different texture, so every time there's a different pattern or a different collage piece, you will feel a different texture. But in reality, what we've been able to do is actually we've been able to use felt and different fabrics and sew them together as a facsimile that people could actually touch while we were describing the artwork. And when we talk about our audio description programs, we often talk about the opportunity for art and ideas. The Archibald Prize celebrates great Australians and celebrates the relationship between an artist and a subject. And there's all walks of life. So Julia Goodman's work has been a joy to actually work with, because you've got a whole range of sensory experiences. We're able to actually play some of Montaigne's recordings because being a musician, you can get a sense of what she sounds like, a sense of her audio communication. We have facsimiles of fabric because Julia Goodman's practice is a community based practice where she invites people to donate clothing to donate fabric, and she sews them within her works. And I think we've been able to put in people's hands the materials that this work has been created by. And I have to say, a lot of people have had a lot of joy in actually getting their head around how her head has actually been created, because her hair is this beautiful, rich mass of wiry, curly wool that has been lovingly stitched. So to actually put some really textured, wiry wool in people's hands and say, I want you to touch this and imagine that this is worked within this canvas, within this portrait, has really given people a different experience of this Archibald winning work to prior years, which are often works 100% in oil or acrylic. So yes, it's been a delight to work with.
S2: This work are wonderful, and the works are of course, heading around the country on tour for the Archibald Prize tour for people to head along and have their own experiences with the works and be guided through the gallery. But Danielle, tell us about the tour that's going on over the remainder of this year and into 2024 for people to head along to, where are the pieces heading to next?
S3: So after being in Sydney, currently it's in Mornington Peninsula until Sunday, November the 5th in Victoria, and then the exhibition travels to Biggar to South East Centre for contemporary Art in Bega. Then it travels to Goulburn, to Goulburn Regional Art Gallery, then it travels back towards Sydney to the Hawkesbury Regional Gallery next year. Another two regional areas is Tamworth Regional Gallery, and then its final resting place for 2024 is the glass House, Port Macquarie. So again we're the art gallery of New South Wales, which means that the gallery is very. Eager to share its collection and touring exhibitions beyond the city, metropolis and to regional centres plus one centre outside of Melbourne in regional Victoria, allowing more people to access and enjoy art and ideas.
S2: And to find out more about the prize itself, the accessible components of the exhibitions and also where to find more information about audio description and the dates when they will be near the towns in question. Where are the best places for people to head to grab all of that info and more?
S3: I would suggest that you get online to the Art Gallery of New South Wales website, and if you click on to touring exhibitions and go to Archibald Prize 2023 tour. When you click on that page, you will get the dates and the locations that I've just listed. And when you click on each of those regional galleries, you'll go directly to that art centre or museums website. And what I would do if I was, for example, planning to go to Tamworth or to go to Hawkesbury, I probably would contact them maybe a couple of weeks before I went and just confirm that you were coming in, and you would really love to experience the tactile resources and possibly have a conversation with an educator, a staff member or a volunteer to support that visual description and to get a better understanding of the work. In addition, what I would suggest is that if you go into the Archibald Prize 2023 web page, every portrait has an audio recording of the wall label, and our wall labels give the really important information of the title, the artist, the medium dimension, and then just a brief description of the subject and a little bit about the artist's history. So there's the online component of the wall label. There's the tactile resources that you can engage with within the exhibition. And I think if you're able to email or call the galleries prior to attending, I'm sure that they can organise for a staff member or volunteer to describe the works to you.
S2: Before that, the best starting point is, of course, the Art Gallery of New South Wales website, Art Gallery dot New South Wales gov dot that's art gallery all one word.nsw.gov dot iu to head along and find out all about the exhibitions that the gallery is currently holding. Plus of course, all the information and more about the Archibald Prize and the tactile components thereof, plus the regional tour of the pieces heading around to a gallery near you. Danielle, thank you so much for your time today. I've been speaking today with Danielle Golota from the Art Gallery of New South Wales, who's here to chat to me all about the Archibald Prize exhibition, including the Tactile Archibald component and the regional tour taking place for the remainder of this year and into 2024. Danielle, thank you very much for your time today. It's a pleasure to catch up with you and hear all about the exhibit.
S3: Thank you Sam, it was a pleasure speaking with you.
S2: I'm Sam Culley and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio, associated Stations of Air and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that conversation there with Danielle from the Art Gallery of New South Wales. As always, if you've missed any part of the programme this week or you'd love to listen to it again, Talking vision can be found on the Vision Australia Radio website, on your favourite podcast platform or through the Vision Australia library. And now here are some highlights from the recent Vision Australia AGM. To start off with, the first person you'll hear from is Amber Collins. Amber was recently elected as a new director on the board of Vision Australia, and you'll hear from her now.
S4: Thank you everyone. I'm being told to come over here. Bit closer. Yeah. Okay. Here. I don't know how come my back to people. But anyway, thank you very much. And it's lovely to meet you all. And I look forward to getting to know more of you in the future. But as a little sort of potted history of me, I'm a Melbourne person, born and educated here before I spent my career in the UK and the US. My career has been predominantly in the advertising, branding and marketing sectors, very much focused on retail and logistics. I have three children here in Melbourne where we've resettled. My eldest son was born with glaucoma, very limited vision and subsequently lost his vision in 2019. I have a daughter who's up in Anu and a young one doing VCE. I've spent my entire career focused on customers, in this case clients. I'm absolutely obsessed on improving outcomes for every single experience and interaction that people have with this organisation. I've been a customer of Vision Australia and I've been a customer of various other organisations in the sector in the NDS, NDIS. I understand the problems that people, many people face. So I feel like I can hopefully bring not just my passion and commitment for the sector but also a very, very much a client based view on on how it feels to be served by organisations such as Vision Australia. I'm super, super proud to be part of it. I'm thrilled that Andrew and Bill have put their faith in me, and I'm hoping that I can contribute widely and deeply on a number of issues and serve my board colleagues who I hold in great regard. Well, I look forward to meeting you over the years ahead. Thank you very much.
S2: Amber Collins, they're speaking at the recent Vision Australia AGM. The next person you'll hear from this week is Paul Hedley. Paul is a member of the Vision Australia Client reference Group, a group established to gain advice and feedback on specific matters relating to the experience of clients who are blind or have low vision. Let's hear from Paul now.
S5: Hi everyone. I'm Paul Hedley. I joined the client reference group about six years ago when a Vision Australia, a client of Vision Australia, for nearly probably eight years. And you know, I thought, well, when someone said there was a client reference group, I thought, well, I might go and join that because then I can have a say about some things and, and hopefully help Vision Australia become a better organisation. I guess what I've learned over the time is that and you know, I'll stand corrected. I guess my original thoughts of what I was going to do as part of the client reference group have really been blown away. And I stand here six years down the track, having really gotten involved in the business of Vision Australia and and truly understand how hard Vision Australia works to make things happen and the complexity of all the funding sources like the NDIS and my aged care, you know, and their constant changing and all that sort of stuff and vision Australia has to adapt and change all the time and, and I just really applaud the amount of effort by the staff and the management and the board that goes into ensuring that they can still provide the best products and services and support for all the clients. So a lot of the time when I first joined, I thought, well, I didn't really know what I was going to be doing. And I walked in here six years ago and I was a bit nervous and all that sort of stuff. Anyway, over the course of the last six years, I think the CRC has evolved, I think, between the and the board and the management. We've both realised that there's a great opportunity to really use the lived experience of the CRC and our greater client base to look at making everything work a lot better, to get the lived experience, the feedback, to really use that information to work like a co-design situation, to just improve things and be agile and provide the best service and for what I've been involved in. This year. There's been some strategic projects and the SIG gives lots and lots of its time to, I guess, give their input and feedback to help Vision Australia make sure the projects succeed. One of the first projects that we got involved in this year was that it was on Employment, and Vision Australia, ran an ideation workshop down here in February, and while the CRG attended and quite a few other stakeholders, and it was a two day event. I can tell you we worked really hard, but it was an amazing experience and I know there was a lot of good outcomes from that. And since then there's been another workshop and quite a few focus groups and all that sort of stuff in the new employment program that is being developed is going to be sensational. I guess I'm a real advocate for it. I lost my vision eight years ago, pretty late in life, and I work full time. I'm an engineer and I didn't know how I was going to keep working, and that's why it's close to my heart. I managed somehow to retain my job and keep moving forward. But there's many people that I meet. I do a lot of quality living groups and peer support, and I meet many people that have lost their sight later in life, and they just don't know how to get a job or retain their job. And unfortunately, there's many that just don't. And so I think the importance of this new employment program is so good. I think it's going to make a huge difference to the blind and low vision community. Some of the other things that we've been involved in is around emotional support. As we're on mentioned, there's the new program that's come out for the kids. There's a lot of work being done around older Australians where they're developing, trying to share the quality living process with peer support through the aged care providers and help the older Australians deal with vision loss. There's lots of things around emotional support and again, it's very close to my heart. As I say, I'm very involved in quality living and the impact of vision loss is huge and we all need to support when we need it. And just just to round out, I guess I'm moving into the last year of my tenure in the Client Reference group, and this year we've had three new members join. That's Kim Brown Alps and Sam Byrne. You know, I've got to know them over the last couple of days. And one of the key attributes that you need to be part of the client reference group is passion. And these guys exude passion. And when I do finally step away from the client reference group at the end of this time next year, I'm sure I'll be leaving the group in good hands with those guys. So I'd just like to welcome them officially to the group and wish them all the best in the future.
S2: Client reference Group member Paul Hedley there. And last but certainly not least, Visual Australia CEO Ron Hutton was pleased to announce the Vision Australia Awards, which went to three individuals, the third of which, outgoing chair Andrew Moffatt, will be available to hear as a separate interview highlight on the Vision Australia Radio website. But for the time being, here's Ron with the first two Vision Australia Awards.
S6: The first Vision Australia award is to a gentleman called Richard Lyle. Richard Lyle is a part of the black and white committee of double Bay, and they have for 85 years raised funds for predecessor organisations consistently for children who are blind or have low vision in the New South Wales and broader Australia. Richard Lyle has volunteered for the Black and White Committee for 55 zero of those years, and that is pretty much a remarkable contribution as a regular. He's a regular master of ceremonies, and pretty much every event that I go into, and probably every event, you go to Larry because you've done a few of those, you're Richard is the person running the events. Richard can't be with us today. They're running in one of their regular lunches at Otto's in Sydney in a few weeks time, and I'm going to present him his Vision Australia award at that event. Our second award today is for Lara. Natalie. Lara, you're in the audience here. Are you going to come up? Why don't you come on up? Kate's going to put a microphone in your hand. Because I might just get you to say a few words. Lara, you're a role model for so many young Australians who are blind or low vision. I've known you for, I think, seven years now, and I've seen you grow, which has been absolutely fantastic. You're an accomplished performer. You've been on Carol's by Candlelight last year, and you're going to be performing again this year on Carols by Candlelight.
S7: Yeah.
S6: You're you're going to graduate very shortly. I think you told me just before that that was it yesterday that you completed your Masters of degree in music therapy.
S7: Yes, it was shortly.
S6: And you and I, we've had a great relationship over the years as as friends and colleagues. And I'm delighted to present you with a vision. Australia award, which I think I have right here with me. That's. Andrew's behind you, Lara. Right here is your Vision Australia award. Oh, wow. Congratulations.
S7: Thanks so much, Ron. And thanks so much to everyone at Virgin Australia for supporting me over the years. I've been a client since the age of six and I've received various services such as OT employment. Um and I used to attend the school holiday programs when I was at school, so we did like different activities and outings and things like that. Um, and I'd also like to thank my amazing parents for, um, supporting me throughout my life. And thanks to Duncan and Wendy from Platinum Creative, um, for being. I'm very supportive managers. For Duncan's my manager, and they're both here today, so thank you.
S6: Well done. Laura, thank you very much. You.
S2: And that's all we have time for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a production of Vision Australia Radio. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together. And remember we love your feedback and comments. So please do get in touch on Talking Vision at Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all. One word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Colley saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on one 308 4746. That's one 380 474 W6 or by visiting Vision australia.org. That's Vision Australia call.