S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host Sam Colley.
S2: Hello, everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: People with a disability within employment, they're more than just their disability. They have lots of skills and talent to offer an organisation. And it's just really important with a campaign like this, that we make it clear that it's not complicated and that you could get a really good person by being an inclusive workplace.
S2: Welcome to the program. This week we chat to Karen Strauss and Brooke Carter from the Australian Disability Network. They're here to talk all about the upcoming It's Not hard to be inclusive campaign running in the six week lead up to International Day of People with disabilities, as well as a mentoring program which will be opening in just over a month's time. That conversation is coming up very shortly, so make sure to stick around. Then after you hear from Cranbrook, I'm joined by Sarah Bloedorn, manager of the Vision Australia Library, here to chat to us all about some changes that are going on at the library. And we finish up today with a little bit of news and information. I hope you enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. With the Australian Disability Network are embarking on a couple of really exciting programs over the next few weeks, including the It's Not Hard to Be inclusive campaign in the lead up to International Day of People with disabilities to have a chat with us all about this, as well as the range of mentoring programs run through the Australian Disability Network. It's my great pleasure to be joined by Brooke Carter and Corinne Strauss. Corinne, Brooke, welcome back to Talking Vision. Thank you very much for your time today.
S4: Thanks, Sam.
S3: Thank you for having us, Sam.
S2: Corinne, I'll start with you. I'd love to have a chat about the Pace mentoring program today. So could you give us a bit of an overview of the program?
S4: I can, but I'll tell you that Brooke has got her hands all over it. Um, but the Pace mentoring program is established to provide mentoring support for job seekers with Disability and to connect them with mentors within our member organization. And it's over about a 16 week period. We do it twice a year, and it is quite a transformational experience, transformational for a person with a disability who is seeking guidance around career progression or job applications or whatever it is that is related to their career. No matter your age, and at the same time, for the mentors, very often the mentors don't have an understanding or a lived experience with disability. And so this is a great way to build understanding of the barriers that people with disability face in attaining jobs or getting career progression in their organization.
S2: Okay. Now, as you've said, Brooke does have her hands all over this one. So, Brooke, I'd love to come to you and get your insights on the pace, mentoring program.
S3: Thanks, Sam. As Karins highlighted, it really is a great program with matching the mentors and the mentees together. We've been running the program for quite a few years. I do believe it turned ten last year. Wow.
S2: Oh my God.
S3: Happy birthday. Running. Thank you. We've been running it for a while. It's a really great program. It really teaches mentees the really important soft skills that you need to apply for a job and get through all of those steps that we all find really tricky. But having those extra conversations that you might need to have when you are a person that has a disability as well, and having the opportunity to flesh those out with a mentor is a really great experience. And that's where we see a lot of the growth come from from mentees at the start of the program, towards the end of the program. And as Corinne touched on as well, it's it's a great learning opportunity for the mentors as well. They really take a lot out of it for both their own professional career. They implement it into their own workplaces as well within their organizations, but they're also taking it out into their personal life as well. So there's so many areas around that inclusion that those lessons are being implemented. It really does make an impact, I guess, on everybody involved in the program as well.
S2: Brooke, I'd love to hear about your involvement in the program. I understand you've been quite heavily involved in the Pace mentoring program personally, so tell us a bit about that experience.
S3: So with the Pace mentoring program, I'm a program coordinator. So my role is to support and interact with all of the applicants that come through the programs. We do all the matching and we really get to hear about their stories through the program. I also do the mid program check ins with our mentors and our mentees, the one that I have had personal experiences with the stepping into program. But on a professional level, I've obviously had a lot of interaction with the Pace mentoring program, and I love it when we get to the end and we get to hear from guest speakers about their experiences and their stories and what an impact and just seeing that growth from the start of the program to the end of the program, it's really rewarding.
S4: Totally. And as a mentor in the program, Sam, it's great to see your mentees because I have mentored a few people in the Pace program myself, and it's great to see the mentees come into the program often lacking in confidence. And then by the end of 16 weeks, you actually see how they've built their confidence around their job seeking process and feeling confident to ask the questions that they maybe would have been reluctant to ask, or to imagine what they imagined was impossible. Initially. So, you know, dreaming big, encouraging them to think big and be bold in their actions. But at the same time, you know, as a mentor, we also learn the barriers that they face. And so in one of my cases, my mentee was facing incredible barriers around the job seeking process and the recruitment process because the job application forms were inaccessible to them. And so they didn't have somebody to contact to ask for an adjustment, or they wanted more information because they needed a lot more information before they could process the application. And so you see these barriers and you just wonder, why do we do that? You know, it should be accessible for everyone, never mind people with disability. But yeah, so great learnings for both ways.
S2: Oh certainly are great learnings. And as you've said Karen, there is quite a lot still to go in certain areas. As I understand, Australian Disability Network has just kicked off a six week campaign in the lead up to International Day of People with disability, entitled It's Not Hard to Be Inclusive. Now, this is a super important campaign involving a lot of businesses around Australia. So tell us a bit about that and the barriers that it's looking to knock down to enable employees and jobseekers with disabilities to find meaningful work around the country.
S4: Thanks, Sam. So yes, this is probably one of the biggest campaigns we've ever run at Australian Disability Network and it's super exciting. First thing to say is that we've created this amazing video, which people can see on our website, or if you go to our LinkedIn profile, and also very important to let people know that we've created an audio description version of the short film that's on our website. So it's inclusive for everyone to hear or see. But first of all, that's the big thing. Is this wonderful video about it's not hard and it's about comedy as well. It's got a comedic flavour around it, which is fabulous, and we've got a media pack. So if you go to our website, organizations can download the media pack and tap into it, and obviously our members get more information in advance. Whereas if you're not a member, you just get it every week as it rolls. But the first week we're going to be talking about choosing inclusion. The second week we will talk about inclusive communication, about creating accessible and understanding and engaging communications for everyone. Very often it's the thing that people forget to do. And then the third week we will do inclusive access. So we'll talk about creating environments where everyone can participate with ease and respect. And so what environment are we operating in where we are not being inclusive of people with disability, and that includes people with invisible disability or non-visible disability, as well as people with physical disability. The fourth week we're going to focus around inclusive recruitment. This is where we see loads of barriers for people with disability. And then the fifth week we're going to do workplace adjustments and talk about workplace adjustments and tools and resources around that. And we've done a huge amount of research in that space. And we've got lots of recommendations and tools and tips for people to be better at introducing workplace adjustment policies in their organisation, and also for people with disability to know how to ask for their adjustments. And then the final week, week six is inclusive attitudes. This is actually about fostering a culture of respect and understanding and equality in the workplace. And then the final week is a celebration and reflection of the progress we've made over the period of time. So great campaign, a great campaign for all Australians to participate in all employers, no matter how big or small you are. And all the material we've created is fully inclusive for everyone. And hopefully by doing this six week campaign, we can build better understanding and break down barriers for people with disability.
S2: I want to touch on that a bit with both of you about that progress that is being made, but also things you've observed that still need to be tackled, and you've spoken a little bit about the barriers a few of your mentees have faced and all that sort of thing. But, um, Brooke, I might start with you. I'd love to chat to you about the importance of a campaign. Like it's not hard to be inclusive, given both of us are people who have low vision. What does this sort of campaign mean for you? And being involved with such a big campaign over the next six weeks.
S3: Thanks, Sam. Yes. As being a person that does have low vision, these campaigns are really important. It's great that we have a day to celebrate, but we need campaigns like this to start the conversation early and continue the conversations as well. The employment space. It has improved a little bit, but there's still a lot of work to do in creating those opportunities. And a campaign like this really highlights some of the things that may be considered being complex to do, but they're actually not. They might be small, but they're so important. You know, having inclusive communication, having an inclusive recruitment process, making sure the environment is accessible beyond just the physical environment as well. What does that look like digitally? And simple things, just as being independent and having dignity to go through your workplace on your own. That's so important. They might seem complicated to put in place, but really they're not. And I guess a campaign like this, and as big as this, provides lots of different resources for different organizations and really assist them to have those conversations. And I think really we just need to have it grow wider and wider and having more conversations so that people like yourself and myself, Sam, that do have an extra added thing to be concerned about that doesn't have to be a concern anymore. People with a disability within employment, they're more than just their disability. They have lots of skills and talent to offer an organisation, and it's just really important with a campaign like this, that we make it clear that it's not complicated and that you could get a really good person by being an inclusive workplace.
S2: Definitely. And Karen, I'd love to get your thoughts as well. In a similar vein, what would you like to let our listeners know about?
S4: I would say to people who are listening today who may not have a disability, that inclusion is not hard. People with disability want to be given the same opportunity as anyone else. And if you put the right adjustments in and support and create an inclusive environment, you will find that they are incredible, great contributors to our community and to our workplace. And really, I think open your mind to what are you doing day by day that is creating barriers for people with disability. And a great example is things like our documents. When we create documents and emails and reports, are we making sure that those documents are accessible for everyone to read? You know, when we have meetings or we checking to see that people with physical disability can access the venue? Let's just think about everyone when we plan to do stuff. And so I think this campaign is a really good reminder of the small things that we can do to be welcoming and inclusive of all people with disability, not just as employees, but as customers and as friends.
S2: Absolutely. And now, Corinne, I'll stay with you finally to just get some details about how people can find out a little bit more about the Australian Disability Network. The programs that they are running, such as the Pace mentoring program, or just a bit more information about the It's Not hard to be inclusive campaign.
S4: I guess. I am so happy to do that. So the first thing I'd say to people who are listening to this, jump on to our website, Australian Disability Network, and you will find in the website there is a spot called News and Events, and you'll be able to find the link to the it's not hard to be inclusive material. And the video, the awesome video that's there. Also on LinkedIn and Facebook. We're putting a lot of stuff on socials. Australian disability network. The other thing is to let people know is that Australian Disability Network is an organisation that is there to help employers, biggest Australian employers that you can think of right through to the Prime Minister and Cabinet Office, right through to, you know, federal, state government, local government and all the biggest brands. Our job is to help build their capability and confidence to welcome and include people with disability in their organisation. And so we provide a whole range of tools and resources. We also provide opportunities to connect people with disability into our organisation, into our member organisations and through the Pace mentoring program, as well as through the internship program, which is amazing and I think it's gold standard. I don't know of many organisations around the world that do what we do around our mentoring and internship program. So if you want to learn more about what we do and how we do it, just jump on our website or otherwise contact us at Australian Disability Network. Our website is fully inclusive and accessible, and we're more than happy to chat to anyone who would like to know more. But LinkedIn is also a really good place to follow us as well, and all the work we do and follow Brooke's amazing work. She's a great team member. We love having her on her team. She's the most calm and collected person I know, and she's a great contributor to the organisation and an advocate for people with disability.
S2: Yes, I can definitely attest to that one. Karen, I have had quite a lot to do with Brooke over the years, and it's always been a pleasure to work with you, Brooke, and great to have you and Karen back on the show today. So thank you both very much for your time.
S4: Thanks, Sam.
S3: Thank you. Sam.
S2: That's Karen Strauss and Brooke Carter. They're from the Australian Ion disability network. Chatting to me today all about the Pace mentoring program and the upcoming It's Not Hard to Be Inclusive campaign. I'm Sam Culley and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio. Associated Stations of Reading Radio and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that conversation there with Corin and Brooke from the Australian Disability Network. If you missed any part of that conversation or you'd love to hear it again. Talking vision is available on your favorite podcast platform or through the Vision Australia library. You can also find the show on the Vision Australia Radio website at RVA radio.org. That's RVA radio all one word.org. If you are a Vision Australia Library member, you may have heard the exciting news about the recent changes to the library over the past week or so. Well, to have a little bit of a chat about this, I'm very pleased to be joined by a regular of ours on Talking Vision. Sarah Bloedorn, manager of the Vision Australia Library. Sarah, welcome back. Thanks so much for your time.
S3: Thanks for having me.
S2: Now there's some exciting changes going on at the Vision Australia Library. So what is changing? What can people look forward to?
S5: Yeah, we're always trying to keep people on their toes at the library for sure, but very excited to share about a systems change that we've had. I know often I come on here and talk about programs and books, but we don't often think about the system that actually runs our library. Everything happening kind of behind the scenes to make sure it works well and we've just implemented a new and improved library system. So what does that mean in real speak? Well, what we've done is we've made it easier for you to use your library and to find the things that you want to read, which is really what we're all looking for, isn't it? In terms of a library service. Certainly we've introduced many more categories that when you're searching, you can get more accurate search results. So you're really finding the things that you want to read. And you can also use these categories when you're setting up your preferences. So we can automatically allocate library resources to you. We've made some other changes around how the catalogue searches for languages other than English, so that you can find different languages, should you like to read in that way. And our categories have now moved from 50 to over 200 categories. So to explain that in real time, I guess, you know, someone might come to us and say, I really love romance books. I'd love to read a romance book, but they might want a really specific romance, and they might be getting books that they're not enjoying. So now you can break down a category like romance, which is quite broad really, to things like historical romance or modern romance. You can be a bit more selective. So hopefully say if we send you five books, you know, four of them are going to be right instead of potentially previously, if it was a little bit broad, you might only get one that you really loved. So this way you can be really specific. Another example is thinking about kind of your crime and mystery genre, which we know is our most popular. Within that, there's so many subgenres that you might not think of, but you might really like. So for example, something like spy fiction, or you might like thrillers, or you might just like your classic detective mystery, so you can choose those. And then hopefully with that, find lots of great books that you enjoy.
S2: Okay, so there's lots of changes out there, lots of different things going on. But what isn't changing, Sarah? What's staying the same? Yeah.
S5: Great question. And we know that with change, people can be a bit concerned that something will be taken away. But I can assure you that the library system is working as it always has been. So for anybody that hasn't used the library for a little while and are listening to this, when you go to log on, it will all log you on as usual, you don't need to change your username or password, and when you go in, you're going to find your books that you had there before, your subscriptions, etc. so really nothing changes unless you want it to. And in terms of the categories, you can go in and change those. And I can explain about that a little bit more. But if you don't want to, if you're really satisfied with the books that you're getting at the moment, no worries, just leave it and keep reading and enjoying your library.
S2: Okay, so let's go into a little bit more detail about how people can explore the new library and find their way around all the new features that are available.
S5: Sure. So once you've logged in to the system, we encourage you to have a look around and to explore the new features. For example, just do a search and try out the new search functionality. That's a really simple way to get to grips with some of the changes. With your advanced search experience, we encourage you to use the new categories and subcategories to get more accurate results. And if you've set up your library resources to be auto allocated, then please check and have a look at the new categories which I mentioned previously, which we now have. So for example, we've got the category of action, intrigue, crime and War. And below that is 16 different subcategories to choose from. So like I mentioned you've got crime fiction, but you've also got suspense fiction or psychological fiction. So have a look through that and tick the boxes that you want. Any that you don't tick, you won't receive those ones. So that's great. If you're wanting to exclude anything, just don't tick the box. Of course, if you would like any help with this, we're very happy to take you through the process of the categories. Probably a few minutes on a phone call with one of our librarians. So please, if that feels more comfortable, give us a call. Our number is 1300 847 466. And we can either speak to you over the phone then, or we can organise a call back in your time. And we can go through the categories with you.
S2: Okay. Perfect that number again one 308 47466. And Sarah, would there be some other contact details that people could get in touch with you? I guess some other ways, if they do have some questions or some issues, is there maybe an email or a there might be an FAQ on a website somewhere?
S5: Yeah, absolutely. So we've got lots of information about the changes. So feel free to check out our website which will be updating. And we do have a very extensive frequently asked questions section. So that's Vision Australia. Org slash services slash library. And if you go to the library news section there'll be information there. And you're very welcome to email us as well where Vision Australia library at Vision australia.org. Sorry, that's a bit of a long one. I'll say it again. Vision Australia library at Vision australia.org. Email us with any questions or to request a call back.
S2: Cool. Thanks so much Sarah. I've been speaking today with Sarah Bloedorn, manager of the Vision Australia Library, here to chat to me all about the latest changes in the library to improve the service and the experience for library members who are blind or have low vision. Sarah, thank you so much for your time today. Great to catch up with you. You too. Thank you. Now, we caught up with Brooke and Karen from the Australian Disability Network earlier in the show, but the Australian Disability Network is also putting out the call out for people with Disabilities in Greater Melbourne to join a 45 minute in-person user testing interview for a major banking organisation. The purpose of this session is to gather feedback that will help improve online and mobile banking services to better meet accessibility needs. As we said, the session will run for 45 minutes. It's located at a suitable in-person venue, and participants will be compensated $150 for their time. If you're interested, please complete the User Experience Questionnaire by November 4th by heading to the Vision Australia Radio homepage and clicking through the link to the User Experience Questionnaire. Now that Vision Australia Radio home page again, that's VR radio.org. VR radio.org. Org to have your say. And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember, we love hearing from you. So please get in touch any time on our email at Talking Vision. At Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all one word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Collins saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on 1300 847 406. That's 1300 847 406 or by visiting Vision australia.org. That's Vision australia.org.