S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Colley.
S2: Hello everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: The biggest thing, I think, for the blind, low vision climate is having a site guide that can read the wall for them and guide them up that wall, the best and most efficient way possible. And that's where Ben comes in, not just as my coach, but also as my guide. Who can. We basically develop a strong communication bond to help me get the supply off that wall as possible.
S2: Welcome to the program. This week we feature the second of our para climbers heading to the AFC Para Climbing World Cups later this year, starting in the USA and moving over to Austria and then France later in the year. His name is Jason Water. You may have heard him on the show before. He's joining me today with his coach and sighted guide, Ben Dalby. You'll hear from them very shortly, so make sure to stick around and then after you hear from Jason and Ben Leon from the libraries on the show, to tell us a little bit about some events coming up in the Vision Australia library. And to finish off today, we hear from Jason Gibbs. He's telling us all about 100 K your way, a way to get fit and active over the month of April, while also raising vital funds for Vision Australia. I hope you enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. Last week we heard from Sarah Larkham, who was heading along to the FSA World Cups later this year in Salt Lake City as part of the Australian para climbing team. Well, today we've got a second member of the team. His name is Jason Water. He's a name you may be familiar with if you're a long term listen to the show. He's been on the show a few times. He joins me today alongside his sighted guide and coach Ben Dalby, to chat about power climbing and how to get involved. Jason. Ben, welcome to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for your time.
S4: Thanks for having us.
S3: Yeah, thanks. Good to chat.
S2: Tell us a little bit more about yourselves and involvement in para climbing. Jason will come to you first.
S3: Okay, well, I've only I'm new to the scene of climbing. I started training with Ben less than a year ago, and I fell into it because I took one of my personal training clients to a climbing gym where Ben worked. And when I saw my client go up the wall, I thought, I'll have a try too. So I did, and from there I haven't looked down since. Um, but yeah, it's, um, been quite an experience. And then after I've done that, I thought, I'm going to look into this to see what sporting avenues there were. And so happens that there was a para climbing division to it. And there is also a blind category for it. So I decided straight away then that I have to compete and so reach out to Ben. He jumped on board. So yeah, jumped on board to help. And here we are now, ready to compete in the New South Wales and Act state titles and going hopefully on to Innsbruck in Austria.
S2: Fantastic. And, um, Ben will come to you now.
S4: So my history with climbing goes back about 11 years. I started climbing when I was a teenager, started coaching maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I started setting climbs 2 or 3 years ago. I've started building climbing walls, building climbing holds. So I'm very much enmeshed in the climbing community. And now I'm also coaching. And Jason, a vision impaired climber and planning and coaching, oversees site guidance for him. So sort of very much involved in almost all aspects of climbing at the moment. And it's very exciting to be able to go overseas and sort of do what I love.
S2: Now we've heard a little bit about para climbing itself, but Jason, could you tell us a little bit about some specifics to para climbing for people who are blind or have low vision in particular, people may be wondering if there are sort of any differences, what sort of adaptations and aspects there are to that.
S5: Sure.
S3: Well, as I said, I'm pretty new to the sport, so I don't know all that much. But what I do know for the blind and low vision, we have three categories that we do. Most of the sports. So we except for the exception of B4. So there's the B1 category, which is those who have the least sight and they would generally wear a blindfold whilst climbing. Then the B2 division, which is my category and that is those with some vision. For me there's no vision, my left eye and very, very central vision in my right eye. And then you have B3 again. For my understanding, they set the climb accordingly to the vision impairment. So for B1 the climb might be a lot easier than it is for a base rate climber. Again, that's my understanding. That could potentially all use the same climb. But the biggest thing I think for the blind low vision climbers is having a site guide that can read the wall for them and guide them up. That will be the best and most efficient way possible. And that's where Ben comes in, not just as my coach, but also as my site guide. Who can. We basically develop a strong communication bond to help me get that wall as possible. Also for my understanding is the ropes they use is quite different. So mainstream climbers will do what they call lean climbing, where you've got to clip yourself in at intervals up the wall, whereas the para climbing community or para climbing teams, they will use a top rope. So you're secured from the top so there's no clipping in.
S2: And Ben, had you done any work with blind or low vision athletes before you met Jason?
S4: No, not really. I had seen a couple low vision climbers in the gym before, but never really anything with them. I had seen a few other things coming through the gym as well. One is got an amputated leg, another one who was wheelchair bound but never actively coached them, never actively coached anyone with any sort of disability. And to Jason, what's.
S2: The learning curve been like as a sighted guide? What sort of been really you've taken like a duck to water or what else has been kind of a challenge or, you know, what sort of that experience been like for you?
S4: Yeah, it's been good that I've been climbing for so long, and I've been coaching for so long because a lot of the skill. Giving good advice on how to climb up through the roof, but it has been much harder than a normal coach client, because I have to sort of adapt to Jason's current knowledge and ability about climbing. So if Jason was like a climber before having gone blind, I think it would have been a whole lot easier because he had already had quite a good intuition for climbing. But because Jason's come to it after already lost a lot of his vision, we have to sort of start from absolute basics and really build up our communication style and his knowledge around climbing and sort of add complexities to our own language as we're going. So we're both sort of learning from each other as we go and both adapting our communication style as we go, which is quite interesting, but it's quite challenging as well.
S2: Oh for sure. And Jason, what sort of been the process for you that you and Ben have settled upon? What sort of the way that you've decided that seems to work for you both really? Well?
S3: Well, I think it's something we're constantly trialling and error and basically adapting and adjusting here and there. But I think really what was working for us is more of the playful side of it where you get we can get pretty jocular about things, but I think for us, the best way of communication, we've tried to use these less as best. So Ben's trying to teach me more to climb intuitively and then call when I need it, or when he sees me struggling. Um, my biggest issues are with my feet because, again, not just with the blindness, but with the diabetic neuropathy. I don't have great sensation in my feet and arms and legs and hands and stuff, so I don't have that proprioception. And if I'm not feeling secure, then Ben will remind me that my foothold is secure or the grip is secure. Again, just bringing on that reassurance. But yeah, again, I think like it's always changing the way we are communicating.
S4: Yeah, I think it's a bit early days to say that we have any sort of communication style that's set in stone. Um fair enough. Yeah. Constantly sort of revising it and adapting it as we go.
S2: And Jason, how can people get involved in para climbing if they're interested in getting active and having a climb?
S3: Yeah, that's a great question, because I really don't want to be the only one in the blind category in my division competing against myself the whole time. So there are a number of ways you could probably get involved. Um, I found out through my local gym who put me on to adaptive climbing. Victoria, I do know there's also adaptive climbing in New South Wales, and I potentially think there's also one out based out in Queensland. But my best recommendations for that would be Google search adaptive climbing. Also look at para climbing and then talking to your local climbing gym. There's bound to be someone there that's going to help you out and point you in the right direction. And if you look at the Australian Sports Climbing website and contact them, they will definitely be able to help you out.
S4: I'm not sure if Jason had any idea when he went to Gravity Works, that he'd be able to find a coach, and eventually a site guide to help them compete overseas, but you'd be surprised by how helpful gym staff can be like. The climbing community is amazing. They always surprised me with how generous they are going to be with their time and their skills. They can just be so vast, so it's always worth asking someone.
S2: Now, Jason, I understand there's a way for people out there to support the para climbing team. So tell us a little bit about that.
S3: I'd like to say that you can support the Australian team. There is a Sports Foundation in Australia page that you can go and provide a small donation and contribute to getting the team over to these World Cups and any small donation small. I just always encouraged and grateful for.
S2: And of course, the um, ifSc World Cups are coming up shortly and the first one in Salt Lake City. So, Jason, what are you looking forward to there, and how do you think the team will go?
S3: Well, I feel that some of our team members are going to crush it there. I definitely think, um, Sarah Larkin is going to do extremely well. I'm also hoping for the others going over there to do pretty good. They are pretty adept climbers and they look good on the wall. Far better than me, that's for sure. I won't be attending Salt Lake City. We had a few hurdles when it comes to insurance and all my medical conditions, but we will be looking at taking part in Innsbruck, which is in Austria, and that will be at the end of June, July. So I've got a bit of time, and I've also got a chance to see how the rest of the Aussie team fare in the World Cup in Salt Lake City beforehand, and I will be definitely cheering them on from home. Yeah, it's very exciting.
S2: And Ben, what are you looking forward to over the next? You know, a few months with the mates there?
S4: I am very keen to see the Germans. Brook I mean it's it's a massive gym, um, with like the best resources around the world. And the competition wall outdoors is, like, quite spectacular. So, like, I, I can imagine that it's going to look way cooler in person. And then you can ever imagine on the screen or online. So I'm very much looking forward to.
S2: That in this book is a fantastic town as well to visit and. Obviously super alpine and super mountain oriented. So that's absolutely I could be climbing heaven. So that's really exciting to head along there and check that out. Now Jason, what is the best way for people to follow along with the Australian para climbing team as they head along to the World Cups? How can people keep in touch with and keep tabs on what Tom, you and Ben are up to?
S3: Well, Ben and I are constantly posting on social media about our little shenanigans, about what we're doing to lead up to it. Best way to follow it, I would say, is through social media outlets. So looking up sports climbing Australia and sports climbing Victoria also adaptive climbing Victoria will have some. And looking at the ifSc website, social media pages and YouTube channels, I believe Ben would be more in it to look.
S4: I think probably probably Jason as well. Jason weiter 99 zero and myself at Druid holds on Instagram. There's yeah.
S2: Yeah. Now we always like a good Instagram.
S3: Yeah well we're trying to make it, uh, engaging. Um, I'm sure we may offend a few people along the way and we do apologize in advance, but anyone who knows me knows what to expect.
S2: Yeah, that's certainly true. Oh, thank you so much to you both. I've been speaking today with Jason Water and Ben Dalby, chatting to me all about the upcoming para climbing World Cups and para climbing in general, and building that partnership between climber and sighted guide. That's obviously so important for climbers around Australia and the world who are blind or have low vision. And of course, we encourage everyone out there to get involved in para climbing. So definitely keep in touch with them and follow along with their journey. I'm Sam Culley and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio, Associated Stations of Reading Radio and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that conversation there with Jason and Ben, talking all about para climbing and the upcoming World Cups. If you missed any part of that conversation with Jason and Ben, or you'd love to listen to it again. Talking vision is available on the Vision Style Radio website at RVA radio.org. That's VA radio.org. You can also find the program on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. And now speaking of the Vision Australia Library, here's Leanne. Leanne, welcome back to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for your time as always.
S6: Great to be with you, Sam.
S2: Now let's hear a bit about some upcoming exciting events that are happening in the library for the month of March and April and beyond. So what sort of things can people look forward to?
S6: Yeah, so we're really looking forward to kicking off our In Conversation author series for the year on the 25th of March. We are welcoming the brilliant Alexis writes and will be in conversation with Astrid Edwards. Alexis, right, is one of Australia's really most celebrated authors. So she's a First Nations author. She is a Myles Franklin winner and a stellar prize winner, and she'll be discussing her most recent work, a novel titled praiseworthy, which is in production and will hopefully be in the library very soon. But praiseworthy has just been longlisted for the 2024 Stella Prize and has been really described as quite a groundbreaking novel. So yeah, she's a brilliant Australian writer, very important Australian writer, telling important stories from a First Nations perspective.
S2: And what else can people look forward to checking out over the next little while?
S6: Sure. So we are continuing with our regular Treat Yourself book chat, which is always a lot of fun. So this is a group of library members who get together with our librarians to discuss different genres of writing. Last month in February, we met on Valentine's Day and we spoke about romance writing, which was a delight. But next month in April will be getting together on the 15th of April to look at science fiction, which can be a bit of a polarising genre, probably not the most popular genre among our readers generally, but I do know we have a few very dedicated sci fi fantasy fiction readers in our library, so this one's especially for them, but also for any of our members who might be interested in expanding their reading lists.
S2: Okay, and speaking of reading lists, I'm sure there are quite a few popular reads over the past year, so it's a bit early to kind of have a look back over 2024. But of course 2023 has been and gone. And what were the most popular things from the Vision Australia library over that time?
S6: Yeah, yeah. So of course we, you know, love to put together our stats and see what was popular over the years. I can share with you the ten most popular downloads from our Daisy audio collection amongst our library members, in no particular order, but look in the list was probably one of the most borrowed books across all Australian public libraries in 2023, and that is Prince Harry's memoir, spare. So that was a massive force in publishing last year. So that was one of our most downloaded in our top ten. We're pretty heavy on kind of crime writing in fiction Australia library. So we've got a few James Patterson titles. So Mary, Mary and the Big Bad Wolf, also a, uh, Sidney Sheldon title morning, Noon and Night. Alice Peters is another really popular kind of mystery writer. His novel Saint Peter's Fair is in the list. And Lee child, who's always kind of a perennial favorite. A couple of her novels are in that list as well. So we have Persuader and The Midnight Line. I'm also nice to see a couple of fantasy novels in there from Samantha Shannon. Um, so A Day of Fallen at night and also the song rising.
S2: Okay. Yeah. The, um, the crime and mystery genres are always a hit with Virgin Australia library readers. Yeah. So it's not surprising in the slightest to hear that they've, um, featured right up the top. And I'm sure there'll be a lot of huge releases coming. Over the next few months. So next time we catch up, we might have to hear a little bit more about them. But in the meantime, if people are interested in joining the Vision Australia library, what's the best way for them to do that?
S6: So, so you can join online if you head over to our website Vision Australia. Org forward slash library and follow the links to join the library. We have an online form. If you don't have an email address or just prefer to talk to someone over the phone, you can also give our team a call so you can call them on 1300 654 656. There are a really helpful team and we'll be able to assist you not just in joining up the library, but also chatting to you about your different options for how you might like to start reading from our collection.
S2: That number again 1300 654 656 to give the library a call. And Leanne with those events, what sort of format are they running over and what's the best way to register?
S6: Sure. So those programs that I mentioned are in Conversation and Treat Your Shelf are all running via zoom. So you can join us wherever you are across the country. If you're interested in registering, head on over to our website. So Vision Australia. Org forward slash library. Navigate to the What's On section and you'll find the direct event links there where you can register.
S2: I've been speaking today with Leanne from the library, all about the latest events and taking a look back over the most popular raids from 2023, in the Vision Australia Library. Leanne, thank you so much for your time. It was a pleasure to catch up once again and chat all about the Vision Australia library.
S6: Always great to be with you Sam.
S2: Over the whole month of April. That's April 1st to April 30th. People around Australia are encouraged to go 100 K their way in support of Virgin Australia and the vital services they provide, such as Virgin Australia right here. And that's where our next guest, Jason Gipps, comes into the picture. He's one of the key figures in Virgin Australia Radio, putting his hand up to go 100 K his way, and it's my great pleasure to be chatting with him right now. Jason, welcome back to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for being on the show. Thanks, Sam. I appreciate the red carpet. That was really nice. Good touch. No worries. Now, um, Jason, let's get right to the heart of things. What is 100 K your way?
S7: Yeah, it's a great new fundraiser for Vision Australia. First year last year, actually. Sam. So, um, Vision Australia launched the 100 K Your Way challenge, uh, which is effectively giving, uh, individuals that take part in the opportunity to do 100 KS their way. So that could be doing 100km across the month, uh, walking or running? Rolling, swimming, however you want to do it and you can do a mix of it. So we thought, you know what, we're going to get behind this, uh, a little bit more this year, and we're going to come up with our own Vision Australia radio teams. So your listeners have the opportunity to join one of our teams. Okay.
S2: And how do the listeners join up in question, Jason. Yeah, it's really simple.
S7: Sam. You can go to our website, RVA radio.org, and there's a nice big banner there for 100 K your way. You can click on that banner and all the details are there and effectively are asking if you want to get involved, get fit across the month of April, uh, do your 100 K your way. You can join one of our Vision Australia radio teams. So we will have a VA Radio Perth team and Adelaide team, a Melbourne team and a regional radio team. And you can join whichever one you want. I'm actually based in Melbourne, but I've decided to be the team captain for my peeps in Perth.
S2: Let's have a little bit of a chat about the importance of the funds that will be raised. 300 K your way. What sort of services does this money go towards?
S7: Yeah, so great question Sam. The 100 K your way effectively supports people who are living with blindness or low vision to live the life they choose. In the case of our Vision Australia radio teams, all funds raised will go to support the ongoing daily works of our national radio network. So what we're doing right now cost a bit of money. Traditionally, we've had a radiothon each year to encourage our listeners to support what we do by making a tax deductible donation. And this year, we're kind of starting with this and giving people the opportunity to do a little bit of peer to peer fundraising. So any money that you raise by carrying out your 100 K challenge in the month of April, we'll go to the general works of Vision Australia Radio. So it costs us a little over $2.2 million annually to keep what you're hearing on air, right across our 17 radio services nationwide. We already know. You already know, because people like Sam do a great job of telling you weekly on talking vision of the importance of the service. So it's a really great opportunity to get fit and get behind a fundraising cause that will support what we do here at VA radio.
S2: In regards to the specifics around the websites that people can head to. Just to wrap up, Jason, what are the specific locations that people should head to?
S7: Yeah, so just remember our website because we bang on about it all day. VA radio org. It's a nice one to remember. You click on the track banner, choose which team you'd like to join, and then what you do is you set up your own little personal page and it's easy as pie. You just follow the prompts. It takes us about a minute and a half to set it up, and it'll guide you for the rest of the way, so you can then ask friends and family to support you in your cause, and you'll get little emails along that journey thanking you for the money you've raised so far. There'll be a chance to win some prizes along the way, and you can also encourage others to join the team that you've joined as well. So you can go your own way and, you know, walk each day or, you know, have a few big walks across the month and only do it on a few occasions. Totally up to you. And if you don't want to join a team, but you would like to support the cause with a donation, you can do that too.
S2: Very easy. Oh, wonderful. Okay, so that's 100 K your way. Taking place over the month of April, the whole month of April, from April 1st to April 30th, raising vital funds for Vision Australia Radio and the vital services they provide.
S7: That's right Sam, and you can sign up at any time and you can donate at any time as well. So even if you're, you know, leave it a little bit late and it's the 5th of April, 10th of April, you can sign up.
S2: Perfect. And every little bit helps. And we look forward to hearing all the stories of people out there going 100 K their way and getting fit and active for a great cause.
S7: Are you gonna do 100 KS? There are.
S2: Possibly, you know, we'll see how we go. I've been speaking today with Jason Gibbs from Virgin Australia Radio, one of the key rings. Ladies in going $100 his way over the month of April from April 1st to April 30th. Jason, thanks so much for your time today and telling us all about 100 Koa. Really look forward to hearing all the stories.
S7: Thanks, Sam. Appreciate your time.
S2: And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember, we love hearing from you. So please get in touch anytime on our email at Talking Vision. At Vision australia.org. That's talking vision or one word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Cowley saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on one 308 4746. That's one 384 746 or by visiting Vision australia.org. That's Vision Australia call.