S1: Nothing's off limits. It's off limits. Bringing together experts and people with lived experience to discuss the topics we love to avoid but absolutely need to talk about made with the support of efficient Australia and the NDIS information linkages and capacity building grants, including grants.
S2: Hello and welcome to the series where nothing's off limits. My name is Polly, and together with my co-host Tess, we're continuing to delve into those subjects which might usually be considered off limits, discussing them openly and honestly and through the specific lens of blindness and no vision.
S3: And as always, you can download this fabulous podcast via the Vision Australia website. Just go to Vision Australia dot org and type. Nothing's off limits into the search engine, and you'll be directed to our web page where you can subscribe to make sure you don't miss any episodes or if you'd like, you can tune in by Vision Australia Radio and this is our last episode. We're so sad and we were so hoping that we could all be in the studio together for the final time. But unfortunately with lockdown, we're all doing a fabulous recording session from home, so we do apologise if the quality of the podcast isn't fantastic. We hope you're really going to love it because we're really excited about it now. We probably
S2: absolutely. That's right. And yes, I'm talking to you from my wardrobe, so I enjoyed the ambient sound effects. And so in this episode, we're talking about
S4: identity, community
S2: and disclosure, and the way that we identify ourselves can impact the way that we're viewed in our communities. And for people who are blind or have low
S4: vision accepting
S2: that they have a disability and disclosing that disability to others can be challenging. So we've lined up a number of guests who have lived experience in this area while thinking about the way we are viewed by others.
S4: It's important
S2: to think about how we view
S4: ourselves, and so we
S2: asked you how you would describe yourself using just three words, and we got some really interesting answers.
S1: Nothing's off limits with Tess and Polly. Polly, how would you describe yourself? In three words cold, dark and handsome. Kind there and fees are fair and fierce. That's a good mix.
S5: How would I describe myself in three? Would I think I'm very calm?
S3: I'm resourceful and I'm resilient,
S6: fun, happy,
S1: cruisy, fun, energetic and sport obsessed. That took me quite a while to
S7: think about, but I think I'd describe myself as loyal,
S1: determined and curious, enthusiastic,
S6: passionate about
S8: technology. Me, in three words. Radio presenter, twin, windy and London are in exile, although I think that comes to about seven words. Sorry about that.
S1: You're listening to a Vision Australia Radio podcast. Nothing's off limits with Tess and Polly.
S3: It's time to welcome our first guest for this episode. Now we often find ourselves subject to labelling from others, whether it's family, friends, people in the community, so we're going to ask our guests to introduce themselves. Jason Weiter is possibly a familiar voice to some of our listeners. Jason, thank you for joining us. And how would you introduce yourself?
S6: Hi, Tess. Hopefully, you know what? That's probably how I do generally introduce myself to people with a good hello and a smile on my face. Look, when I think about it, it all depends on the city and the situation that Tom brought into. I guess in most instances, instances I should say I do introduce myself having a vision impairment. I will go up to the person is usually the person I would say is that I'm not actually here drunk. Although I look at it, I am blind. So I put a bit of a comical spin on it. And that usually gets a conversation going. A bit of an icebreaker.
S5: And I'm sure you get addicted to a lot of blind drunk jokes as well along the way. So I would
S6: absolutely look at the clock and you know, the only one looked like a fool and you don't even have to be drawn to do. No hangovers in the morning.
S2: Jason, do you identify as having a disability? I mean, is that how you would describe it?
S6: Yeah, I do. Look, I am quite open about it. I mean, it is the truth. I think, you know, the definition of a disability is something that either as a condition that limits one's myriad senses or activities or is a disadvantage, it puts someone at a disadvantage. Now my eyesight having very low eyesight, that's definitely a loss of a major sense. And that does limit, you know, what I can do in the community, and it puts any disadvantage to people that are fully sighted is the true for my eyes. Like I would say, I have a disability, and it's just what it is. I mean, you should see my playing golf, for instance, in my mind. So I'd ask them to point me in the right direction of the whole thing, to point me the opposite. Just the story. I think that's a disadvantage.
S2: Or you just need new friends. I'm not sure
S6: who. Maybe that might be that. But look what role. All jokes aside, I don't see a need to hide the fact that I have a disability. Yeah.
S2: Leading on from that, how important is it for you that those around you accept that you have a disability? So it sounds like you have a really good relationship with your friends and that you're already comfortable about it? And you know, that's supportive, but also, you know, making fun sometimes. So is that acceptance a really important part?
S6: I'm going to be honest here, and I don't want to sound discourteous to others. Say this, you know, it's not really that important. It would be nice if everyone could accept the fact that, yes, I have a disability, this is it, and that Jayson Tatum, who he is. I'm not going to let it stop me doing the things I want to do.
S2: So it sounds like actually the really important thing for you is your own acceptance of having a disability.
S6: Definitely not. Say that is probably the most important step, a far more important than what others think and how they accept be. The world is not going to stop because I have a idea. So why should I stop doing the things that I do? It probably has asked different things. For instance, disability, bodybuilding and playing blind tennis. Now these are things I would never have got into in the past, and these are probably things that I wouldn't even have a competitive edge on in the past. But now having low eyesight and accepting that and going out and taking on these activities has allowed me to become good at something. I also think that I accepting my disability. It prevents me from doing reckless things from time to time, so I don't want to go out and take that calf or sun dry blamed on June 11 vehicles on the road and maybe conditions. That's a
S2: really interesting point, and it sounds like you really have taken ownership of your disability, and that's something
S4: that you haven't
S2: struggled with. Or has that been a process for you?
S6: The moment I knew my eyesight was deteriorating, what was happening, it was just like, Well, let's move on. You know, I think it's something I've grown up with in the past. I've had medical conditions, probably since day one, so I've had to adapt. I guess I learnt at an early age how to adapt to things and then say, Well, look, I'm not going to be able to do this. Let's find something else more realistic and let's progress. That is something that I wanted to do. I had my heart set on it. I would make modifications to look at ways I could do that and then allowing people to see that I can still do it and that's going well, and we didn't accept me for that anyway. So their experiences like, well, you guys, and he's what he's doing, we accept him for that.
S4: And how did you
S2: think more broadly, disability kind of sits within the community? Do you
S4: think that there's a stigma
S2: around discussing disability, around having a disability in the wider community?
S6: I think that's sort of one of the things that sits on a scale. So you'll have those that will say, Look, disability is what it is. It's fine, it's part of life. Then you'll have the other side to say disability is that dirty work and something we don't want to discuss. We want to put it aside, and I think there's a lot of reasons to come to this. I'm not a sociologist or anything like that, so I don't know the ins and outs of it all. Well, what I see in the community is that more often than not, it's not the actual person with a disability, and it's not the person who's not closely associated with disability. It's the people in the middle, the family members or carers or support workers who want to sort of say that, well, don't call them disabled and say that any part of everyday commuter, they require the same as everybody else and that can get you always want to encourage. People who have a disability can do things, but at the same time, it can be harmful because if we put someone in a situation where we saying you quite capable to do exactly what someone who's got a disability can do and they can put their life in danger. So we would only be screening that. So we saying that and saying, Okay, well, let's just disregard the term disability. It shouldn't exist. If we don't, what do we call? Those are people that are going to be disadvantaged or they're going to have trouble, is an actor and you would say he coaches people and he has these terms that goes on to say that you all have a disability and the Disabilities Act, in my eyes, that sort of something that stands out to me. I guess it's one of those things that reaches out to say, Look, we have a disability that doesn't define me.
S2: I wondered if you had any advice you can share about that disclosure component. So whether it's disclosing to people that you were just meeting when you're out and about or whether it's in a more formal environment like, say, starting a new job or even going on a date? Have you got any advice about how you can disclose
S4: your disability
S2: in a way that, as you said, makes you feel that you have the agency over it?
S6: Take control over that one? I think it comes down to a Typekit disability. Just like some of the some of the most openly obvious, you don't need to disclose and cause a disability yourself to disclose to everybody around you. Tarantino for missing a limb or you need to get around a white cane. But then when there are those that are listening, I suppose it comes down to the person how confident they are to disclose that. Do they need to disclose it? And if he don't disclose what one of the reasons why she disclose it, because in my opinion is the truth is always best. I think it's always important to disclose it upfront, first and foremost, because it gets that side of things at the way. The advice I gave is just to be open. Like I said, when you introduce it, tell them upfront. First and foremost, they will probably respect you all for a honest and then you will probably get people. Those I will say is a personal issue. They're just not capable as someone else at end of the day, that can affect people as well.
S2: Jason, thank you so much. As ever, you were on our first program, so it's so lovely to have you bookending the series. And I love your advice about, you know, maybe if you're confident enough going on the front foot and that's your way of kind of taking ownership of how you want to represent yourself,
S4: that's as ever
S2: fascinating and really
S4: helpful.
S6: Always a pleasure feeling sorry. Thank you so much for having me on.
S1: You're listening to Nothing's Off Limits Where Tess and Polly did you know? Vision Australia has produced a range of stand up for your rights guides to support you to understand and exercise your rights. For more information visit Vision Australia dot org or call one 800 eight four seven four double six. Vision Australia Blindness Low Vision Opportunity. How would you like to support the blind community, those with low vision or a print
S4: disability whilst promoting
S1: your business at the same
S4: time? You can.
S1: By sponsoring Vision Australia Radio Hour packages are tailored to your needs. Promote your products or services in this area or right across our network in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Albury and Regional Victoria.
S4: You'll be surprised
S1: how affordable community radio is. Tell us how we can
S4: help you visit via
S1: radio dot org and click on the sponsorship link for more info.
S2: We now have a panel of two guests, and both Courtney McKay and Adelina Holloway will be familiar voices to some of our listeners. They're both here to talk about their experiences around identity and disclosure. Thank you both so much for coming back. How would you two introduce yourselves? Maybe starting with you, Courtney.
S4: Yeah, OK. So in this context, which is semi professional and where blindness and low vision is a topic of conversation, I might say that I'm a psychologist with lived experience of blindness. I've got 15 years of experience working in not for profits and local government, and I'm currently managing Vision Australia's children and young people team in Queensland.
S2: Adelina, how would you introduce yourself?
S7: Usually, my guide dog Tilly does a bit of an introduction in that I am visually impaired, so she and people usually look at her, look at me, look at her, look at me and kind of think, is she or isn't she? Because I don't as vision impaired except that I have her? I'll get asked a question straight up, Is she mine? You disclose that point? Yes, she's mine. And yes, I have low vision and I, but I still can see. I can see you and I can see my surrounds, and that usually relaxes the person. And then I will also say that, you know, I'm a middle aged mom of a couple of teenagers and fierce advocate for different, not less. And and, you know, I'm a kind of fairly confident, outspoken middle aged female who's become more and more a fierce advocate for people with disability.
S5: So how
S4: big a part of your
S5: identity is your disability?
S7: You know what, it hadn't been until about three years ago when I had a of or have had a marriage breakdown, and it caused a lot of stress that caused me a lot of vision loss and quite a considerable amount of vision loss, and I really had to realise that I couldn't hide from this anymore. It's around about the same time I got the dog, so I was a real pretender. I would pretend I was sighted, not disclosed to many at all and still try and be as sighted as I possibly could be. So I never identified really until about three years ago. Now, to answer your question, I probably identify all of the time.
S4: Yeah, it's definitely a big part of my life. Being blonde sort of dictates how I do everything, how I move, how I communicate. It's right at the forefront of how I operate. It's not necessarily always at the forefront of my mind, though. I just get on and do things. But it's definitely the reason why I'm doing those things in ways that differ from everyone around me.
S5: I think that makes a lot of sense. I think new disability can really barriers to how much a
S4: part of your
S5: identity is, so it's wonderful to get to slightly different
S4: perspectives and how much is acceptance.
S2: And this is something we talked about with Jason as well. How much is your own acceptance of your disability? A key factor? Courtney, how about you?
S4: Yeah. So we've talked about grief in one of the earlier episodes bargaining and denial, natural paths or natural states associated with grief. A little bit like Adelina said. You're entitled to your denial. You're entitled to try and work around the disability as you're adjusting to it. But resistance definitely burns a lot of energy, and at some point I have come to the understanding that that energy is better used on working towards what's good and possible for me and the people I love. So getting on with terms with reality is an important daily practice and I try to engage in. If you are
S2: struggling with that, what are some of the kinds of things that you can do to become more accepting of your
S4: disability? Among the most effective things that I've done to become more accepting is to rub shoulders with other people with disabilities and people that I admire because of their strong identification as somebody with a disability, their pride in who they are and learn from them. That's really accelerated some of my growth as a person and my ability to be out in the world representing my community in a way that, yeah, feels comfortable for me and you, Adelina
S7: me trying to hide and cover up and pretend was exhausting and absolutely exhausting, and I just didn't want to do it anymore. And I realized when I started to work back in Australia and work in the NDIS space, and I was privileged to have a role where I would stand up in front of people and tell them how supports could change their lives. And I could do that from a place of lived experience. So I realised that, no, I didn't want to stand there and tell people what I what I could say and what I could do, but what I couldn't do and how I could do it with support. So that's when I sort of started by put my advocacy have had on really, you know, now that I'm almost privileged to be in this position now because I can change people's lives so by my lived experience and how I can educate them on how they can live a full life because often people in such. A bad place, and I now use my voice to be part way, change that for them and show them that, Hey, you know what? It's possible, it's possible to still be very empowered, especially as a woman. I speak a lot with women to be empowered as a woman, and you can still be a beautiful and desirable and well dressed and wear those heeled boots in that dress and we have a guide dog in your head. You know, that's that's my passion, and that's what I try. So that has really helped me come into my own as someone with vision loss. Absolutely.
S2: I'm just really interested about, I guess, the change that's come in around NDIS, where
S4: you have to talk
S2: about the things that you're not able to do in order for that to be the understanding about what support you need.
S4: How much do you think that's changed
S2: the dynamic of how you think about yourself?
S7: We have to now teach people how to speak the language of the NDIS, and it's really hard for someone to sit there and say, for instance, they ridiculously worded some of these questions like, you know, there's a self-care section, can you dress yourself? And everyone wants to say, yes, of course I can dress myself. We have to teach them how to say no. Yes, I can do it, but I need assistance. In my case, yes, I can dress myself, but I need help choosing color. I need help putting makeup on in that then comes on top of that. I need an occupational therapist. I need perhaps someone to show me how to put makeup on. Is a vision impaired woman. I need better lighting in my bathroom. I need my magnification, so we need to change the way people are thinking. So instead of just saying Yes, I can do this myself, yes, I could do so, but
S4: I need help. That's fascinating.
S2: Courtney, have you found any, I guess, changes about how you feel about yourself or how you present yourself going through the NDIS process?
S4: It's pretty common that when you are long term vision impaired or you've had a disability of any kind for a long time, you've become really good at work arounds and everything that you do has been adjusted. You're using tools using strategies that the average person on the street couldn't even imagine. But because they've become every day to you, you don't necessarily know how to articulate them, to break them down into tiny little chunks and feed them to somebody who has no experience of your disability. But that is what you have to do. You have to be able to articulate all of those work around. So you can say, Well, yes, I can do this thing that I require x y z in order to be able to do that above and beyond what the average person does. So for me to lead an ordinary life, I have all of these adaptations, some of which will require funding for me to be able to continue Adelina.
S5: You mentioned before the importance of emphasizing being different instead of saying, Listen, can you tell us a little bit about why that's important?
S7: Yeah, absolutely. So you know, in a nutshell, it's I try to, you know, empower people with that thought that you're not less than anyone else because you have a disability. You just do things differently. You know, we we can do anything that anyone else can within our limits of having low vision. But we just as Courtney said, before we just do it, we adapt the way we do it. So, you know, we considered a computer and do our job, but we need assistive technology to do that. You know, I can I can walk to work and commute to my workplace, but I need my dog beside me to help me to do that. It's just those little tweaks we have in life to now enable us to to do things differently. But we are certainly no less than anyone else
S2: on, Hey, how do you negotiate those boundaries around helping people to understand a disability? What's not kind of taking on the responsibility of being everyone's teachable moment? I know that's something we've kind of touched on
S4: before,
S2: but that's a really tough thing to
S4: do. Yeah. And I thought of running a bit of a cost benefit analysis when I bump into people. So I'm looking at whether or not they have the capacity to learn if they're deeply invested in a particular way of seeing things, and that gives them a sense of power. Then I know that it's probably not going to be productive to push, you know, I come across a lot of people that are just not that great at perceiving and integrating new information generally. Sometimes it's time limits, so it might only be a passing exchange. I will do things differently then, as opposed to if we have a bit more time to explore, and I'm also thinking about my emotional reserves. So if I'm already depleted, then it might not be worth trying to educate somebody when I'm feeling like that versus when I have the energy to do it. If it's service, I'll try to work with a person directly the service provider. But if they're combative and I sense they want to dominate me, then I'll send the feedback up the line, hopefully to somebody who's a little bit more reasonable. So it's about balancing my capacity, their capacity and the impact on my community. Oh, that's
S2: fantastic. A fantastic kind of methodology to use.
S5: Finally, Adelaide, Matt and Courtney, what are some steps that people could take to make it easier to disclose because we know that disclosing can be very challenging? Adelina, would you like to?
S7: Yeah, look. I think that something I've learned in disclosure is using it as an opportunity to educate as well. So when I disclosed, though, have done in the past. Sure. Except I've got low vision, but I've just explained what that what that what that looks like for me. And I would let them know what I can see. You know, I can see your face, I can see you standing in front of me. I can tell you you're wearing a dark color, but I probably can't see beyond that. You know, just give me a little bit of a context of what I can see. And just to give them an understanding. And it makes it when I do that, it tends to make them a little bit more comfortable. OK, then I can look her in the eye and I know she's going to make eye contact with me to some degree. Or it also helps if I'm out and about, especially in dimly lit situations. If I disclosed before I go into the venue to someone who may not doesn't know me very well or just met. You know, it's it's just having the confidence to be able to explain to people what, what, what you can see and how they can help you. I a bunch of friends. I was in Byron Bay once and one of my friends pulled me back from not stepping outside of the car. This before I had my dog and he screamed to me and he was very, very mad with me. I've known him since university and he said to me, Adalind, we just need to know what you can and can't see, so we know how to support you. So he swore. I just said, So, you know, stop being so bloody independent and tell us how otherwise you're going to get killed, you know? So and that was a that was by then they kind of did an intervention with me that night and sort of said, You know, we we need to know you're obviously not the woman you were at university. Clearly, you can't see what you used to be able to see. So we need to know now so we know how to support you. And then it just takes the pressure off us as well. And I never looked at it like that before. I've had to really think about how it affects the other person and how it affects those around me.
S4: Yeah, I think when people acquire vision loss for the first time or they're new to disability generally, that there's a real aversion to joining the community and identifying as somebody who's one of many with with a disability. But one of the benefits, I guess, of being part of our community is that you get to review a range of approaches, what other people have done before, and you can choose what things might look like for you. And that includes in relation to how you disclosure disability. I would recommend that people think about different situations because it will vary, as we've talked about already today. And I also think people need to be gentle with themselves because you'll be learning about how to do this well for yourself, for the rest of your life, and you'll choose and change your mind over and over and over again.
S5: That is a wonderful note to end on. Adelina Courtney, thank you so much for being here and sharing your lived experience with this is just being such
S7: a privilege chatting to you
S4: and wonderful to be here and congratulations on a great series.
S7: Guys, thank you for having me. Have a be a part of it. I've really enjoyed it and I hope it helps lots of people out there. I really do. Well done, guys.
S2: Thank you both so much and Jason too. And as ever, this is just the start of the conversation about identity, community and disclosure. And you can visit the Vision Australia website for some useful resources and information, including an article with some tips about how you can dispose your disability to employees.
S4: We've just finished
S5: our last episode of Tommy. Can I don't know what to think about this, but we could not have done it without some very special people. I have the great honour of first and foremost, thanking our wonderful collection of guests. We, I mean, look, I'm sure that people would love to listen to Polly and I just chattering white. We certainly do as
S2: short as sure.
S4: But yes,
S5: for those who don't feel like listening to us, just having our guests have brought something just fantastic for podcast. Thank you to everyone who participated in the box pops just added some fantastic color. Thank you to our listeners. Our wonderful listeners mean what would be the point of creating a podcast that you to listen to us and tell us where we're going right or going wrong? And finally, I speak on behalf of Polly and myself. It is most important, so much so very important to thank our wonderful producer, Jace. You're a huge shout out today because he has just been a wonderful source of support and expertise. He holds us in line cases in line when when Polly and I are having too much fun and not easy.
S2: Not an easy task.
S5: No, it's really not and really more than anything else we could not have done without him.
S4: So thank you, guys.
S1: Thanks, guys. It's the lived experience of our guests that really pulled it together. I really appreciate everyone's
S4: efforts, completely stressed
S2: and remembered. This episode and early episodes of Nothing's Off Limits can be downloaded from the Vision Australia website. Just go to Vision Australia dot org and type. Nothing's off limits into the search engine and you'll find our web page and you can catch up with all 10 episodes, as well as resources that go along with them. And we'd love to. Your feedback about the series of what you liked, what you didn't like and what you suggest should there be a second series? You can reach us on nothing's off limits at Vision Australia dot org that's nothing's off limits at Vision Australia. Org No apostrophe upon apologies there for the grammar experts. But we do hope to be with you again soon. Until then, thank you so much for joining us for the show where nothing's off limits.
S1: That was nothing's off limits. Made with the support of efficient Australia and the NDIS information linkages and capacity building grant. Learn more about our radio and podcast offerings by visiting V.J. Radio, dot org and access all there is to know about our range of client services via our website. Vision Australia dot org. We thank everyone who participated in this episode, but especially you for listening today. We rely on your support, so please share this podcast with just one person today and brighten our day or write us on your preferred podcast platform. Bye for now.