S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host Sam Colley.
S2: Hello, everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour, we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: Altered States is really leading the way in several instances. Like to have 100 deaf and disabled artists involved in the program is phenomenal. Like that is work, employment and representation and being able to really create incredible artwork and putting that on the main stages across really important venues in Melbourne. It's an opportunity to see our communities work.
S2: Welcome to the program. We've got a bit of an arts and creative bent this week as we chat with Nilgun Guven and Sara Hobolt. They're involved in a disability led arts festival taking place over 12 days between the second and 13th of October. You can find out a lot more about that very shortly as that interview is just around the corner. Then after our chat with Sara and Nilgun, I'll catch up with Fiona Tolmie, Artistic Director of the other film festival, which is taking place roughly around the same time over two weeks from the 3rd to the 16th of October. I hope you'll enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. Altar'd State is Australia's disability led arts initiative celebrating deaf and disabled artists creativity Activity and culture. It's happening over 12 days, starting with today up until the 13th of October. And to have a chat with me about Altar'd State. It's my great pleasure to welcome access Consultant Sara Hobolt and CEO of Vita Veritas, Nilgun Güven. Sara Nilgun, welcome to the show. Thanks so much for your time.
S3: Thanks for having us, Sara.
S2: I'll start with you. Give us a bit of an intro to yourself.
S3: Yeah, sure. My name is Sara Hobolt and I am the access consultant for Altar'd State, which is amazing programming that's in partnership with Arts Centre Melbourne and Arts Access Victoria. My background is as a performer, as an access consultant and as an arts manager across Australia and internationally.
S2: And Nilgun a few of our listeners might have already heard your voice before, but for the benefit of people who may not have. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
S4: Sure, I'm Nilgun and I'm the artistic director CEO of Vita Veritas, otherwise known as VRV, a not for profit organization that does many things but especially provides access, consultancy and services to the performing and visual arts industries in Victoria. And we're a major sort of access provider for various events and festivals that happen across the year and for Altar'd state 2024.
S2: Now, Sarah, I'll come back to you. Let's have a chat about Altar'd state in particular, what is Alter State and what can people expect?
S3: Alter state is an incredible set of programming across eight venues in Melbourne. It really places the immense value of deaf and disabled artists at the center of the programming, which means that there's over 100 artists who are deaf and disabled in the program showcasing their work, giving us really amazing performance work, dance work, performance art, film, visual arts, exhibitions, workshops. It's super exciting. It's from the 2nd to the 13th of October and there's quite a few things on offer.
S2: Nilgun did you have anything to add there?
S4: I should add that the type of access that we provide and will be providing across the festival coming up is centered around audio description, services and tactile tours. So we'll be audio describing a number of performances, symposiums, different events that are taking place.
S3: And the cool thing about that is that the team at Delta State have committed to a lot of events being audio described, so there's so much to choose from. So for example, we have Private View, which is a theatre dance work by Restless Theatre, and they are on from the 2nd to the 6th of October. And there's audio description for every session, which is super exciting. We don't see that very often, so I'm very excited.
S2: Yeah, that's super exciting. So in terms of audio description and those tactile tours, that's some fantastic accessibility features there. But Sarah, what other accessibility features can people look forward to if they do head along to alter state?
S3: Sure. We place access at the core of everything we do, which means that we consider it at every level. So for example, audience can, when they buy a ticket, they can indicate whether they need physical access or Auslan interpreting or audio description. Or they can also tell us if there are any other access requirements that they have that they would like us to consider. We put on access services with events as well, but we are also here to create some bespoke and really welcoming experiences. So we have Auslan interpreted events, we have audio described events. We also have a quiet room at all. You know, almost all of our venues because we have eight venues across the city. And so we also have services like if you go to an event at Arts Centre Melbourne, you're able to ring up the welcome desk ahead of time and welcome. Staff can meet you at the taxi or the Uber or guide you around the venue. For example, there in Arts Centre Melbourne, there's an audio button actually in the lift. There are places for assistance animals to go to the toilet. There's a lot of bespoke human centred help that's available. People are wearing bright red Altar'd state shirts when you arrive at the Arts Centre Melbourne venue, and we also work with our partner venues to also increase their awareness and provision of access to. So a lot of events also have visual stories. Some people call them social scripts or social stories, but a guide before you arrive to understand what to expect from the experience.
S2: You've mentioned Art Centre Melbourne there, but I'm keen to hear about a few of the other venues and the accessibility with those. I know there've been a few performers in the past that I've spoken to who have expressed a desire to really push for more accessible venues, so could you tell us a bit about some of those other seven venues? You don't have to go into huge detail about all seven, but give us a bit of a highlight package of the main sort of places that people can look forward to heading along to.
S3: Absolutely. So our venues are, we've mentioned Art Centre Melbourne, but there's also Arts House in North Melbourne, the Footscray Community Arts Centre, the Melbourne Recital Centre, the Victorian College of the Arts, the Monash University Performing Arts and the National Gallery of Victoria, and also the Fitzroy North Library. We've been in discussion with a lot of these venues over the course of the year in terms of talking about how to increase access and but more importantly, talking about how to actually talk about the access that already exists. So one of the things that I'm finding in this role is that there's a really great intentions, and there's also access elements that people just don't know already exist. So I know it would it would take a long time to go through all of these venues. So I guess my main tip is to call up or contact each venue and have a real conversation with them if you're interested to go into any of the events. For example, at Arts House, they have a dedicated box office and welcome team. There is physical access. There will be Auslan interpreter and audio described events there. It's actually where the closing night party will be, which will be really, really fun. So that one's called disabled and sexy. So we're definitely here to have a good time at Altar'd State.
S2: Yeah, it sounds like it. But yeah, those are some really important conversations, obviously, that people are having around Melbourne. And you know, I have, as I mentioned, you know, spoken to a few people who have talked about how they've been barred from accessing certain venues because there's been steps or the stages too high up, and it causes issues with people who have coordination and mobility disabilities and things like that. So it's really important to hear that access is such a central aspect of alter State. It is really important.
S3: And we also we definitely working with artists with disability, like we definitely have ramps going up to the stages, for example. So you know, as I said before, access is at all levels. And that includes having staff like I, you know, I am a person with low vision. There are many people within the programming staff across the venues that do identify with disability. So with that lived experience in the mix, we can place access more at the core and the center of what we do because we have no choice not to.
S2: Essentially, now, Nilgun, I think this is a chance for you to jump in and give your thoughts if you'd like to.
S4: Sure. Having engaged with a number of those venues, I also know that they've received, you know, access and inclusion training to improve their confidence and awareness. And they have a number of resources on their websites that have been developed in consultation with the community. Verbal maps, different guides, especially for Melbourne Recital Centre and Arts House and other things to mention around the festival. Just adding to Sarah's list is that there is live captioning and that there are a number of events online, and a huge amount of the events are free. Registrations are required and for things like performances especially there is ticketing and prices associated with that. But a real plus is that quite a lot of the festival is, yeah, free.
S2: Yeah, that's a huge bonus and that's great to hear that. You know, it's accessible in that way as well. It's, you know, really affordable for a lot of people out there. But Sarah, what I'd like to get into now is just talking about why these events are so important for people around Melbourne with disabilities. Why is something like alter States such an important festival for people to have access to?
S3: Oh, that is such a great question. There's a number of reasons why it's important. Alter States is really leading the way in several instances. Like to have 100 deaf and disabled artists involved in the program is phenomenal. Like that is work, employment and representation and being able to really create incredible artwork and putting that on the main stages across really important venues in Melbourne. It's an opportunity to see our communities work. We do have people who are blind and low vision in the program. For example, at the National Gallery of Victoria, we have a workshop that is led by someone who identifies as having low vision, so we're able to work essentially. The second reason is for audiences, really, I haven't seen many instances where every single session has access. So as someone who uses audio description, I can choose which night or which day or which session I go to to actually view the work, which means that I can actually live my life and have the same choice as everybody else in order to go. Actually, no, I can't make the Friday night, but hey, I can make the Sunday matinee and actually have that choice, which is really amazing. And it's also a chance to connect with peers, with people within our community, have a social time, have a good time, meet people, network as well as to see the work because we also have social Auslan interpreters that will arrive early to assist with conversations. And Nilgun is also providing describer guides, for example. So there's a combination of modes that access is also being provided. So it's very rare to see that anywhere not just in Melbourne. So I would get amongst it if I were you. Like it's a good opportunity.
S2: Yeah. Sounds fantastic. Now. Nilgun did you have anything to add there? Sure.
S4: I'm going to show my age a little bit by saying that Alta State Festival is definitely feeling missing gap of at least like ten years, where previously there were disability arts festivals called awakenings, for example, the Art of difference festival, and they were important opportunities back then for artists from all around to gather and showcase their work. So there's been a real missing space and Altar'd state has filled that. And it also highlights contemporary art and contemporary practice, disabled led practice, and just speaking about audience development, we really want to encourage people to consider, you know, attending for all the reasons Sarah highlighted, especially young people and families and parents and educators to see amazing artists on stage, amazing artists speaking about their work, and to also have the opportunity to contribute and feedback about what future festivals could look like and be.
S3: The other thing that's super cool about this program is that we're placing First Nations first, so we have a First Nations yarning circle, and we also acknowledge the intersectionality of our community. So on the 13th of October, we also have an event for deaf and disabled people of color. And those are all audio described in and also interpreted as well. So it's really, really nice time in Melbourne to value and acknowledge all of our contributions and who we are and connect with each other.
S4: The theme for this year's festival and the manifesto performance that's taking place on the 12th. So manifesto is the performance devised by Transmit Futures Ensemble. The artistic director, Andy Snelling, and the ensemble present their interpretations of audience responses that are central to the alter state provocation, which is what are our dreams and ideas for the future. So that is a really interesting collaboration that has audience engagement coming into and being presented through their work called manifesto.
S2: There might be a lot of people out there right now thinking, oh my God, this all sounds fantastic. I'd love to head along, get involved, you know, sign up, find out more, all that sort of thing. So you know, what's the best way for people to book a ticket, register to head along to the event? Or, you know, just find out more about all the events that are going on throughout Alta State.
S3: Absolutely. You can buy tickets over the phone by calling 1301 82183, or you can email ticketing at Arts Centre Melbourne. Com.au because a number of the events are free, you can just elect to put how many tickets you want or you can fill in that companion card ticket box if you want to. You can also buy tickets or register in person by going to the theatre's building box office on level five at Arts Centre Melbourne for the Arts Centre, Melbourne. Programming, for example. Um, and if you'd like to go to an event at one of our seven other venues, you can check the Alter State website, which is Arts Centre Melbourne. Com.au alter state. Or you can ring up those venues that I mentioned before. You can phone, you can email, you can go in person, or you can also register via the website.
S2: Sarah Nogan, thanks so much for your time today. Look forward to hearing how Altar'd state goes and having you back on talking vision in the future.
S3: Thanks, Sam.
S4: I'm Sam.
S2: I'm Sam Coley, and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio. Associated stations of the Radio Reading Network and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that interview there with Nilgun and Sarah. If you missed any part of that interview, or you'd love to hear from Nilgun and Sarah again. Talking vision is available on the Vision Australia Radio website at VA radio Dot org. That's v a radio all one word.org. Or you can find the program on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. Continuing on the arts and creative theme today we're moving into the world of film now with the other film festival, which is taking place over two weeks from the 3rd to the 16th of October through the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Melbourne. To have a chat with me all about the other film festival. It's my great pleasure to be joined by artistic director Fiona Twomey. Fiona, welcome to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for joining me today. Awesome.
S5: Thank you so much for the invitation. And I'm both excited and honoured to be here with you.
S2: Let's start with a bit of an overview of the other film festival. What is that all about?
S5: The other film festival is or was. It was Australia's first international disability film festival. And as you know, we're actually celebrating our 20th anniversary this year. It's had a lot of different incarnations or versions of how it's been delivered over the years, and we now sort of split it up. We have three streams, so there's a screening program, an industry program, and a community program. And what I'm here to talk to you today about is our screening program that we're working on in partnership with ACMi and starts on Thursday.
S2: That's right. Thursday the 3rd of October. Now, how many days is that running for? From the third.
S5: Well, actually it runs for a fortnight.
S2: So wonderful.
S5: Two weeks. It goes from the 3rd of October to the sixth, Wednesday the 16th of October, and it's available online for free. And that's on ACMi. So here in Melbourne, they were formerly known as the Australian Centre for Moving Image. So many people might know there in Federation Square, but they actually have a streaming platform called cinema three, and this is the third year we've worked with them in this way. So the other film festivals, our screening program, all the films are free to watch and available to watch across Australia during those dates.
S2: Oh, fantastic. So tell us a little bit about what Arts access Victoria has in store for people this year to celebrate that 20th anniversary of the other film festival? As you've mentioned, it's been going on in, you know, various capacities over the years.
S5: The other film festival, our screening program, is a big way that we're celebrating, and this year's theme is agency. And why we chose that is that we really try to focus and prioritise films that are actually made by and feature, you know, authentically deaf and disabled people and where we have power and agency in those films. So agency itself, but highlights the self-determination of deaf and disabled people. So often we're denied power and agency in our own lives. So we chose these films because they explore agency and storytelling, and we really feel like they reveal untold stories and ways of being in the world, and that's really important to us. Who's telling the story? That there's an authenticity, a power, but that they're powerful, but also hopefully, you know, enjoyable. And there's some that are comedies, there's some that are dramas, there's some that are documentaries. So we just sort of want to explore the full spectrum of a world that many of us live in, but we don't actually really get to experience very often, you know, in film and television.
S2: And following on from that, it's really important to speak about why these things, like the other film festival, are so important to raise these topics in the general public to shed light on, as you've said, the issues of agency and autonomy of people with disabilities. So why do you think the other film festival has been so successful over the past two decades? To really tell these stories and raise awareness of the issues that disabled people face every day?
S5: You know, to reflect on it, it is a big achievement. But it's also, you know, not easy as well. You know, we're quite a small team working on the film festival, but we do have a really big ambition or vision to what we want to achieve. But I think that so many of us, we just don't want to have a very narrow, you know, stereotypical understanding of what so many of our lives are like. It just makes for a much richer world for storytelling, but for screen. But also can, I think, make a difference in people's lives. If you actually do experience like a reflection back of what your life is like, or learning about someone else's life and understanding it so they're more than stories in a way, if that makes sense.
S2: It does. Battles. Yeah. For sure.
S5: It's really important to us that everything is accessible. Yes. So all these films are audio described and captioned. And, you know, when we do do events in person, that's a given that things will be audio described and captioned. But then we have a whole other range of access services that we make sure are embedded into the festival. You know, that's something that's been important since day one. So even 20 years ago, you know, one of the and one of the reasons why it's even called the Other Film Festival is back then, very few, if any mainstream film festivals offered audio description and captioning. And I mean a lot more do now, but it's often not the whole program. It's just selected films or selected sessions or, you know, even I know in mainstream cinemas it can still be very challenging to get access to the audio description for film. So that's just really important for us to try to really offer an equitable film festival experience for everyone.
S2: Moving on to the films Themselves, I understand, Fiona. There's a couple out there that particularly feature people who are blind or have low vision quite heavily. I'm quite interested to hear about those, if you were to tell us about that.
S5: Well, should I just say overall there's 11 films, there's three feature documentaries and then eight estranged short films, and two of those short films. There's one film called The Flower Man, which is about Otto, a young musician who grows competition orchids in his home under the flight path. And we join him in the final days before a major competition. And as we were talking just before, I think, you know, the actor who's in this, the main actor in this film, and he also composed the music, which is Nelson Rupert.
S2: That's right.
S5: Yep. And my understanding is also, Nelson collaborated quite closely on the script with the writer director Evangeline Reid. And this is a really it's a very beautiful film, but I think to the way it's constructed and framed is that Evangeline and Nelson really wanted to give an experience of just how you might experience the world if you are blind or have low vision, or may have some partial sight. So even the framing of how it is really explores that, and kind of so to me, it actually becomes very sort of cinematic because it's using both the visual medium and the soundtrack, along with the story and of course, the performances, you know, to create this very strong cinematic world.
S2: And how can people find out more about these movies, about the other film festival, or perhaps even more broadly, the work that Arts Access Victoria is doing in the disability space?
S5: I think the main thing, if you go to Arts Access Victoria's website, so it's arts access. Com.au and on our front page we've got a link and we're promoting, you know, the other film festival 224 which is sort of nickname is tough and you can link on that to there. And then there'll be a link going up soon or it's there now to how to book tickets, and it takes you to the ACMi cinema three website. And you can, as we said, all those are free. There's also quite a detailed access page that steps you through how to sign up for free so you can access ACMi cinema three to then watch the films. And it also explains how to access the audio description and or captions as well. And I'll just say so we're out of the films. I'm just on the ACMi cinema three site now. There's the three feature films which are rewards for The Try, which is a locally made Australian film featuring Restless Dance Theatre, which is a disability dance ensemble, and Chunky Move, their swimming pool from UK, which is made by a neurodivergent collective. And it sort of explores the world from an autistic perspective. And then a Canadian film called Leilani's Fortune. So each of those films you can sign up for individually, but for the short films, you can either sign up for each film individually, or you can just take the shorts bundle, and then you'll have all of the eight films come into your kind of library on your ACMi cinema. Three free membership on the platform.
S2: I've been speaking today with Fiona Twomey, chatting to me today about the upcoming other film festival, running from the 3rd to the 16th of October through the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, otherwise known as ACMi. Fiona, thanks so much for your time today. It was great to catch up with you and chat all about Toff.
S5: Oh, thank you so much, Sam. And, um, thank you for having me and I hope everyone will go to ACMi cinema three and watch the other film festival.
S2: And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember, we love hearing from you. So please get in touch anytime on our email at Talking Vision. At Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all one word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Colley saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on 1300 847 486. That's 1300 847 486 or by visiting Vision australia.org. That's Vision australia.org.