S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Coley.
S2: Hello, everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour, we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: I feel like it's an unfair expectation to put on someone that just because they have a disability, they can provide all of this advice and expertise on something. It's like we have accessibility consultants for a reason, who you can bring in for particular things. And if more venues hired those consultants, it would just mean that we could turn up and get on with the jobs that we've been employed to do and not have to take on all this extra stuff as well.
S2: Welcome to the program. If you live in Melbourne or you know somebody in the Melbourne area, there's an exciting event coming up later this month specifically focused on performing artists who are blind or have low vision, and their fights for accessibility in the sector. I'm going to be chatting with Lauren and Mikayla, two of the people involved in the panel, to discuss that very topic, and you'll hear from them very shortly. And then after you hear from Lauren and Michaela this week, I catch up with Vision Australia chair Bill jolly. He's celebrated six months in the role as chair, and I catch up with him to have a chat about how the six months have panned out. I hope you'll enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. Our first two guests today are involved in the panel The Working Artist Redefining Access, who minds our access business run as part of the Disrupting Site at Ableism series through the Arts Centre Melbourne, in conjunction with Vita Veritas. Their names are Lauren Hayes and Michaela Schmidt, and it's my great pleasure to welcome them now. Lauren. Michaela, welcome back to Talking Vision. Thank you very much for your time.
S3: Thanks for having us. Thanks for having us.
S2: Now, Lauren, I'll start with you as the moderator of the panel, could you tell us a bit about the panel itself as part of the Disrupting cited ableism series?
S3: Sure. So this panel is the last in the series of three workshops, with the previous two being focused on audio description. And this panel is a standalone one, so you don't have to have registered for the previous two workshops to attend. You can just come along to this. And the other two speakers are Michaela Schmidt, who you'll hear from in a moment, and Olivia muscat. And so we are going to be talking about some of the access barriers that face artists, particularly those who are blind, and ways that we can be addressing those challenges.
S2: Michaela, I'm keen to hear from you. Now, give us a bit of an introduction to yourself, but also your role on the panel on the day.
S4: Sure. So I'm a blind theatre performer and theatre maker. So like I do a combination of writing work and performing and directing and that sort of thing. And I, yeah, have been doing that for a few years now. I live regionally as well, so I've been based in regional Victoria, so a lot of disabled artists sort of tend to be are the ones that we hear about, tend to be more metro based. So I'll be bringing a regional perspective to the panel and trying to shine a light on some of the barriers that regional disabled artists face. And yeah, I also work a bit as a freelance access consultant and mainly for theatre companies and arts venues. So helping them with their physical access and particularly around access for blind patrons and artists. Yeah, helping to help companies make their work more accessible. Yeah, both for audience members, but also for artists who might want to come and work in their venues.
S2: And, Lauren, I'll come to you now. Same question your way. Give us a bit of an intro to yourself and also role as moderator on the panel.
S3: Yeah, sure. So I am similar to Michaela in some respects where I work as an access consultant within the arts sector, working with performers around how they can make their works more accessible, but also with artists with disabilities around making sure that their access requirements are met, but then thinking about audience perspectives as well, and ways that we can make events more accessible for consumers of art. I also work in the digital accessibility space, so I do audits of apps and websites to make sure they meet all of their web content accessibility guidelines and provide training around creating accessible content and the basics of screen readers. For people who may not be as familiar with those. I was formerly based in Melbourne and now I live in Aotearoa New Zealand and work across both countries. In terms of my role on the day as moderator, I'll really be fielding questions from the audience but also asking our panelists questions, but sharing insights. We're kind of we're going with with a little bit of a kind of bouncing ideas off each other sort of session rather than having it as a really formal thing, because we felt like working in a in a more casual way within a structure still, but we felt that would work better. I'm not going to give too much away, but we have some what we think are cool themes for the session that we want to explore, but you'll have to come along and find out what they are.
S2: And that session is also, of course, being run through Vita Veritas. So I'm interested to hear about how you and Michela came across Vita Veritas, got involved with them and with Nilgun, the founder. So, Lauren, I'll come back to you.
S3: So I first found out about Vita Veritas. I think it was through Melbourne Fringe because I was doing some work with them last year as an Access Advisory Panel member, and I believe they were working with Vita Veritas on some of their events, and I hadn't worked with them previously. So I just reached out to Nilgun and talked a little bit about what I'm doing in the space, and suggested that it would be good to meet, because it's always good to get to know other people in the sector and what they're up to and. Wondered if there might be ways that we could collaborate together. And so we've worked on a couple of projects already this year, and so I'm excited to be working on this panel as well with Nilgun and Makayla.
S2: How about you?
S4: So this panel is the first project I've worked on with Vita Veritas. I think I was actually recommended by Lauren, but um, Nilgun and I have it's one of those scenarios where we've heard each other's names around for a while now. Nilgun, the founder, offers audio description training, and because I've been doing theatre making for a few years now, I've worked with other non-disabled artists who were already connected with Nilgun and have done audio description training and stuff with her, which I think is really exciting. It's great to hear that the concept of audio description is becoming more widely known amongst mainstream artists. So yeah, that's exciting.
S2: Now, Lauren, I'm keen to come back to you and Mikayla, of course, afterwards to just get your perspectives on specifically how we can rework our understanding and practice of access when it does come to seeking and supporting disabled talent. So Lauren, keen to pick your brain about that.
S3: Yeah, I feel like this is a we could do hours and hours, honestly. Yes. And it's a really multi-layered kind of thing. So I guess like in every area of employment, there's the issues that you might experience around applying for a role and disclosing your disability. And when you get to a form that might say, well, do you have any access requirements? And it's such a broad question. And those access requirements could differ from job to job or role to role. And so it's really tricky to say it's almost it almost makes you feel as if people are looking for that kind of box ticking approach to meeting your access requirements. So I guess that's one aspect of it. Then once you have your foot in the door and you're working either as an arts worker, so you might be doing an administrative role or you may be working as a performer, it's then communicating your access requirements and feeling like you're being listened to and heard, but also being supported. So in my experience, just working with a lot of artists, people find that they have to be their own consultant, like their own access consultant, in addition to performing. So they can't just turn up and get on and perform. They have to advocate for the things that they need to make that work more accessible. Whereas if they had somebody who could work with them and perhaps advocate on their behalf, then that would take some of that pressure off a little bit. So I think it's just changing some of those expectations around what we are required to do as artists and perhaps not blending those, the artist and the consultant role as much because they can be quite different. And even though we cross both, sometimes I think separating them out a little bit is helpful. They're some of my perspectives, but I'd love to hear what Mikayla has to say as she's been performing much more recently than I have. So I think would have some fresher perspectives as well.
S2: Certainly. And in that regard, Mikayla will come to you right now.
S4: Well, all right. I don't know what I can add. That was pretty well said. But, um, I guess one thing for me is what Lauren touched on about being heard. So yeah, of course this is important in any career, but in the arts, networking is particularly important. You know, how I got to know people in the sector was by going to shows and introducing myself to other artists and arts workers at events. And one thing I learned pretty early on that was that figuring out my branding was going to be important because, as Lauren mentioned, you know, I primarily want to be a performer and an artist. And so often I get asked to be either just an access consultant or to be an access consultant on top of performing in a show. And so firstly, kind of working out my branding and having the confidence to make that clear to the people who might be contracting me as important to work out. But then also if I have made that really clear of what my role or my expertise is for that to actually be heard, I feel that, yeah, we're still learning in the sector to not just box disabled artists into those stereotyped disabled roles. So yeah, and I think particularly as a regional artist, I find that people think they're doing a really good thing by asking me to do everything, you know, the creative work and the accessibility work, because then they feel like, oh, we've been really good. We've employed someone local, someone regional to do everything. But that's not necessarily the bet. You know, it's possible to have more than one disabled person working on one project. That's totally fine. And so I think, yeah, learning to look a little bit further, do a little bit more research, because there are both disabled artists and access consultants out there, and I think people learning how to find them and do the networking, rather than us always having to be the ones reaching out and doing that networking would be great as well if you're not disabled. So yeah, I guess for the disabled person it's about thinking about your. Branding and what you're willing to do. And then for the non-disabled people, it's about doing more research and networking to find those people.
S3: Yeah, another really good example of that. And this happens not just in the art sector but anywhere. And it's quite common. So I think it's good. Just to mention, to illustrate this point, is that I know so many people who in their roles, which may have nothing to do with disability at all, people will come to them and say, oh, can you please check this part of our website or this document to make sure that it's accessible? Because they might be one of the only people with disabilities in that organisation. And so they want to make sure that they're meeting all of the accessibility guidelines. But that might not be a person's strength, and they're having to do that on top of their regular work. And even though I suppose they're incorporating it into their hours, so they're still getting paid. But I feel like it's an unfair expectation to put on someone that just because they have a disability, they can provide all of this advice and expertise on something. It's like we have accessibility consultants for a reason, who you can bring in for particular things. And if more venues hired those consultants on a regular basis, just to make sure that things were in check, both in terms of physical access and digital and then the art space, just being that person who can help with making sure an artist's requirements are met, it would just mean that we could turn up and get on with the jobs that we've been employed to do, and not have to take on all this extra stuff as well.
S5: Mhm. Mhm.
S2: As you mentioned earlier in the interview, this is a hugely wide ranging conversation that we could absolutely have for hours, but you'll have to head along to the panel to find out a little bit more about that. And speaking of which, Lauren will stay with you and get a few details about the panel where, when and how people can sign up to head along.
S3: Yeah, so the panel is going to be held at the channel, which is part of Arts Centre Melbourne. It's going to be on the 25th of June. So that's a Tuesday from three until 5 p.m. and you can find all the details and register if you Google Arts Centre Melbourne disrupting sighted ableism.
S2: Perfect. I've been speaking today with Lauren Hayes and Michaela Schmidt, both involved with the Working Artist Redefining Access, who minds our access business. Taking place on the 25th of June at the Channel at Arts Centre Melbourne. Lauren, Michaela, thank you very much for your time today and all the best with the panel.
S3: Thank you so much.
S2: I'm Sam Cully and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio. Associated stations of the Reading Radio Network and the Community Radio Network. As we all know on Vision Australia Radio. Everyone deserves to be heard. And that's why this month we're aiming to raise $50,000 to support the vital services that Vision Australia Radio continues to provide to the print disabled community. If you're able this month, please donate today by heading to the Vision Australia Radio website at VA radio.org. That's VA radio.org to make a donation. Every little bit helps and your generosity is of course greatly appreciated. And now back to the show and my chat with Bill jolly. A few weeks back, Bill jolly celebrated six months as chair of Vision Australia following the conclusion of Andrew Moffat's tenure as chair in October of 2023. And to mark the occasion, it was my great pleasure to catch up with Bill to look back over the past six months. Bill, welcome back to Talking Vision. Thank you very much for your time.
S6: Thanks, Sam. It's good to be with you.
S2: Now, Bill, of course, we are celebrating a rather momentous occasion. It's some six months, all over six months now that you have been the chair of Vision Australia. So I imagine that time's flown by in relative terms. What's the first six months been like for you?
S6: Well, it has gone along quite quickly, but I'm pleased to say also, Sam, it's gone along quite smoothly. At Vision Australia we've continued to do what we do, which is provide high quality services for people who are blind or have low vision and and it's my role as chair to make sure that the governance is attended to, that the infrastructure of the organisation is taken care of, and that everything's well positioned there so that our staff can continue to deliver services. It has been a pretty tough time for the Australian community generally over the last couple of years with inflation, which is eroding people's purchasing power. And we have the same problem at Vision Australia where costs increase, wages increase, but our government grants and other income doesn't necessarily or doesn't usually increase at the same rate. So we've had to be ever more frugal in our cost allocations and careful in our decision making. But I'm pleased that we have a very strong team headed by Ron Hutton, our CEO, and Justine Heath, our chief financial officer, and we've been able to keep things on an even keel over this period. And a highlight for us was, of course, Carols by Candlelight. And for the first time in many years, I, as chair, made a little appearance on Carols by Candlelight to thank the Australian public for their generous support of Vision Australia and in particular our children's services. And we raised more than $1 million last year through our partnership with channel nine and our lead sponsor, Aimee. So that was a very good way to lead into Christmas for us.
S2: Well, it's fantastic to see you pop up on the broadcast and there's a message. I'm sure a lot of Australians out there did treasure to hear from you at such a crucial time, and such a highlight for Vision Australia in the year, as you said, leading straight into Christmas. Now, Bill, in that little interlude at the time it was mentioned, your decades long, in fact almost lifelong association with Vision Australia and other blindness and low vision organisers associations within the sector. So what does it mean to you to have that sort of thing culminate in this role that you now occupy as chair of Vision Australia, an organisation with which you have had an association for so long?
S6: That's a very good question, and it makes me reflect about how as we go through life, our perspectives change. So my first involvement with a blindness organisation was when, at the age three, I went to the nursery school of the then Royal Victorian Institute for the blind. And then after that I went to Saint Paul's School, the Catholic school, as a boarder for the next ten years. And of course, I just took everything for granted, as little kids do, that this is the way that it was. But I didn't realise, of course, the challenge that having a blind child presents for that child's parents and in my case, my parents had four children who were. But no history in the family. So it was very important for them that the organizations were there to support and guide them in the nurturing and the raising of their children, and it was very important that they had high expectations of us children, and also that we had both peers and role models to look up to. And so as I've sort of gone through life initially as a youngster thinking that I wanted to change the world as young people often do, and realising as one gets older that most of the things that we do, we do for a pretty good reason. So it's my responsibility now to be the really the chief custodian of Vision Australia's culture and its service delivery. I'm reminded of then of how Vision Australia was or the predecessor. Organisations were very important for my parents, important for my family. Then, as we had one of our children who has low vision and is important today for the young parents and the parents of the young children who are new to the world of blindness and low vision. So that supportive role, that Vision Australia plays for families is a very important role. Plus, of course, our direct service that we provide to children, adults and to seniors so that as you go through life, you see often you see the same things but from different perspectives. And as I look back, I look back on an organisation, Vision Australia, which has a proud history through its predecessor organisations. It has also maintained very high standards of service and I've had a fair bit of international involvement and I'm quite satisfied that Australia's services to people who are blind or have low vision are world class, that Australia overall is a pretty good place to live, that it's a pretty good time for blind people to have been born with Braille and synthetic speech. And as I say, our services and our society infrastructure are pretty good.
S2: But within that environment, there are, of course, challenges that do present themselves. As you've mentioned already, the inflation and the funding aspect that many organisations Vision Australia, of course, included, that have to deal with that, especially in the not for profit sector. But what other sort of challenges do you perhaps foresee in 2024 and in the future, for example, the changes to the NDIS and what that will mean for blindness and low vision organisations as well as, you know, disability organisations more broadly.
S6: We actually think that the changes to the NDIS that are planned will not have much impact on people who are blind or have low vision, but more particularly on the organisations. So, for example, Sam, all of our staff, all of our frontline staff are fully accredited to provide services to people under the NDIS. So some of the proposed changes in terms of registration of staff just simply won't affect us. So we have very good clinical governance in Vision Australia. That is where we make sure that our staff have appropriate registration, that they have ongoing training and supervision, so we're pretty well set up there. I think one of the really interesting challenges coming forward for us, which is also an opportunity, comes out of this thing that everyone's talking about now called AI and AI or artificial intelligence, really means that we're having a giant or a great leap forward in the capacity of computers to do things. And these large language models, such as ChatGPT and the ones put out by Google and other companies, one that I use is by a company called perplexity. They will enable people to increase their productivity, to find information more quickly, to draft reports and school students, to draft answers to questions, which then they'll have the responsibility to go through and fix up properly. This is going to make a big difference to the whole of society, and we've got to see that it also works well for blind people, and that blind people using screen reader and magnification technology are able to also to get the benefits of AI. So we're having a look at that at Vision Australia and doing some specific work to help our clients to understand artificial intelligence and to understand how to use it. So as well as the traditional services that we've been having for many years, our services need to evolve as the. External environment changes. And that's something that we consider is very important. But we'll continue to provide those services for older people with our orthoptists and our occupational therapists. So we have the full range of services that continue, but we're always looking to do things a bit differently and do things more effectively. It's a very exciting time to be the chair of Vision Australia. I have a great team around me, other directors on the board and our leadership team headed by Ron. So it's a very good, very good time and I'm looking forward to the next couple of years being very beneficial for our clients.
S2: It's very exciting to hear about the advances in artificial intelligence. I am very interested to continue that conversation with you about artificial intelligence. Another time, Bill, that we could talk about that forever, but I think we'll, um, wrap up for now. Do you have any sort of final words that you'd like to share with our listeners as we finish up today in terms of looking forward to the future, the exciting things to come, but also what Vision Australia's role is looking like in 2024 and beyond.
S6: Well thanks Sam, I think that we're Vision Australia is well positioned moving forward through this year. Next year we have a stable environment. Inflation is coming down, which is good. We'll continue providing our services and I encourage people to reach out to Vision Australia. If you have any issues or concerns in relation to your daily living and other people, I thank you for your support of Vision Australia and we'll continue to do what we do to the very best of our ability and capacity to do so.
S2: I've been speaking today with Bill jolly, chair of Vision Australia, celebrating six months in the role as chair of Vision Australia, and it's been an absolute pleasure to catch up with you, Bill. Thank you again for your time and you're always welcome on Talking Vision any time in the future. Thank you very much.
S6: Thank you Sam, and it's good to be with you and with your listeners.
S2: And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember, we love hearing from you. So please get in touch any time on our email at Talking Vision. At Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all one word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Colly saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us any time during business hours on one 308 4746. That's one (300) 847-4106 or by visiting Vision Australia. Org that's Vision australia.org.