S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Colley.
S2: Hello everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: It wouldn't work without the volunteers. We've got, I suppose, about 15 to 20 regular volunteers. And then we've got a few others that we can call on at short notice. But anybody who is listening, please, if you want to be a reader, a volunteer, as a reader or a panel operator or both, please get in touch with us.
S2: Welcome to the program. In the lead up to World Radio Day on the 13th of February, we're chatting to a few people who've been heavily involved in the community radio sector, specifically radio for people with a print disability. This week we catch up with chairman of the Virgin Australia Radio service in Shepparton, Peter Simpson, who's been involved at the station for over six years now. You'll hear from Peter very shortly, so make sure to stick around. And then after you hear from Peter, I catch up with Jason Gibbs, who's been heavily involved in setting up the Midsummer Carnival Day broadcast, which will be taking place on the 21st of January on Virgin Australia Radio between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.. And finally on the program this week. Sam from the shop is back to tell us all about the latest from the vision store, and we finish with a little bit of news and information. I hope you enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. I'm here with Peter Simpson today, one of the hard working volunteers at the Shepparton station of Vision Australia Radio. Peter, welcome to Talking Vision. Thank you very much for your time.
S3: Oh thank you, Sam, it's great to be with you.
S2: Now, Peter, firstly, let's go back a bit. How much can you tell us about the history of the service and the Shepparton station in particular?
S3: Well, the Shepparton service started in around about 2002 and it was set up in the building that was at that stage owned by Vision Australia and a lot of very keen volunteers and a couple of paid staff spent a lot of time setting up the nominated room in the building, which is just inside the front door. And of course, one of the big projects was to soundproof the room, put acoustic tiles up on the walls and also set up a mixer and all the appropriate equipment for a radio station. So that was around about 2002, and that's where we got our kickoff.
S2: And it's of course extremely important the work we do with providing access to local news and information, especially through local programs. So tell us a little bit about that and the importance of those programs for people from the print disabled community.
S3: Yeah, sure. Well, our number one priority is the Shepparton and District newspaper, which is called The Ship News. And we put that to air Monday to Friday between 1 and 2:00. And that's our that's our main program that we, we try if we, if we have volunteers that can't make it, at the very least we try and get that paper to air every day because that's the news for all the people in this area. And on top of that, we do things like the newspapers from Benalla, from Kyabram, from Yarrawonga. So our mainstay is still the ship of the news, but we have at least 3 or 4 other papers that we're putting to air regularly.
S2: And of course, this wouldn't be possible without the hard work and dedication of volunteers throughout the network, especially in regional areas where it is, as you've said, so crucially important to get that local news out to the community. So tell us a little bit about the input and the importance of volunteers in delivering the service.
S3: Well, you're 100% right. I mean, it wouldn't work without the volunteers. We've got, I suppose, about 15 to 20 regular volunteers. And then we've got a few others that we can call on at short notice, but. We've got a corps of people who I almost don't need to put out a roster every week. They they sort of know when they're going to be on. They're committed to doing it. And a lot of them have been committed to doing it for well over ten years. I think our longest serving volunteer goes back about 18 years. So we've certainly got a great core of people. We're always looking for more people, but the ones that we do have are very, very reliable and they love doing the job. They love the fact that they can get on the air, read the papers and know that they're helping people in the local community. They're all people who are basically either retired or semi-retired and actually being on during the day. We we don't get many people who are full time employed, but, um, yeah, the volunteers are absolutely fantastic. They they all arrive early. They all do their own preparation work. They all create a run sheet. They've got very good at working out exactly how long an article is going to run for. And they've got it down to a fine art. And all I need to do is make sure that it all happens. And I do the presenting on a Friday and also do the panel operating on a Friday. And I'm also the go to when other shifts can't be filled. I usually nominate myself to go and make sure that it all happens.
S2: Tell us a little bit more about your role in supporting the local service. How long have you been involved with and what sort of shows have you been involved with over that time?
S3: Okay, well, I started six years ago and when I moved to Shepherd, I was involved with Vision Australia Radio back in the 80s, and because of employment and because I went and did some study, I got out for quite a few years. Then in 2017, my wife and I moved to Shepparton and I thought, yeah, I'm going to get involved with this again. So I went down and saw the local people. They said, we'd love to have you on board. So I took up a role as a panel operator and presenter, and I did that for about a year. And then our local volunteer coordinator, Pam Power, said to me one day, we've got no one to do the rosters. So I said, all right, well, look, I'll do the rosters, but only on a temporary basis. Five years later, I'm still doing the right thing. Okay. I've got very used to it. And every time I say to the other volunteers, does anybody want to take this over? I get a very blank look and they all say, thanks, but no thanks.
S2: So it looks.
S3: Like I'm going to be stuck with the rosters. And on top of that, on the on the chairman of the steering committee for the Vision Australia radio service. And all that means is that I'm the sort of the go between between, um, the volunteers and the people from Virgin Australia Radio who are full time employed, like, uh, Conrad Brown and Dale Simpson and Callum Padgett when he was with us. So I'm sort of the conduit between the volunteers and the official people of Vision Australia.
S2: Certainly a man of many talents, some great to have you on and, you know, really have a chat about all the wonderful things that you've been involved with. But just finally, Peter, I think, let's just have a chat about feedback on the service and the best way for people to provide feedback on the service from local listeners and I guess, um, promoting some volunteer opportunities as well.
S3: That's very true, Sam, because this is one of my pet things that I'm always pushing for. The volunteers say to me, how many people are actually listening? You know, we're happy to do the service. We want to know how many people are listening. So all I can say is, if you hear this interview and you're listening to Vision Australia, Radio Shepparton, please, please, please contact us at radio at Vision australia.org. Or you can call us on, uh, one 384 7466 and tell us what you think. We're happy to get positive feedback. We're happy to get negative feedback. We're happy if you just ring up and say, yes, we listen to the service. But at the moment, ratings are carried out in the Melbourne suburban areas, of course, because they do ratings surveys for the commercial stations as well. So it's easy for them to find out how many people are listening to community radio station. But in the country we don't have that luxury. So we really would love to know how many people are listening and how many people think that we're doing a good job or a bad job. And on top of that, what you would like to hear that we can improve. And I mean, we're happy to spend. More hours on air in in Shepparton. We're happy to run local stories. We're happy to read local books, we're happy to talk about local history, but we need to find out what it is that our listeners want to hear. That's really the important thing. As for volunteers, well, look, I've seen a lot of people come and go. Unfortunately, in six years some have retired. Sadly, a couple of them have passed away. As they've just moved on and decided to do other things. But it is a continual effort to try and find new people who are willing to come along, give it a go, and hopefully stay with us and enjoy reading on air like so many of us do. So all I can say to those people is, please, if you're interested, give us a call on those phone numbers that will repeat before we we go. Or you can contact our local regional coordinator, Pam Power, who'd be happy to talk to you about what it is we do and how you can get involved. I guess the important thing is that you're happy to read out loud, and you're happy to sit in front of a microphone and actually read local newspapers. The one thing, Sam, that I always struggle for is getting enough people to be panel operators. I don't know why they seem to shy away. As soon as you say, look, you're a fantastic reader, but how about you do some panel operating as well? Oh no, no, I'm not. I'm not technical savvy. You know, I really don't want to touch the panels, though, and I'd sooner or not. But in actual fact, as you know, and I know there's nothing frightening about it. It's only a bunch of faders and a few buttons. That's very true. Not really. It's not really that hard, though. Anybody who's listening, please, if you want to be a reader, a volunteer, as a reader or a panel operator or both, please get in touch with us.
S2: That's it. I remember I did have a bit of trepidation at first before I knew what it sort of entailed, but as soon as you get shown through the panel, you're like, wow, this is amazing. It's so user friendly and definitely encourage everybody out there to get behind the panel. And it's absolutely fantastic. And it does open up a lot of opportunities for being involved with some fantastic programs. So definitely for all people out there, give it a shot. You'll never know what could happen. Now those contact details again. So that email that paid as mentioned that's Radio Navigation Australia. Org Radio Navigation Australia. Org to get in touch. Or of course you can give us a ring on one 384 746. That's 1300 847 466. I've been speaking today with Peter Simpson from the Virgin Australia Radio service in Shepparton, catching up with me today to chat all about the service and the work that the volunteers in Shepparton have been doing for the past over, for over the past two decades. That's it, that's it. Thank you very much, Peter. It was an absolute pleasure to chat with you.
S3: Absolutely. You too. Can I just add one more thing? I thought earlier that if local people want to get involved, uh, you can also phone our local coordinate. And she's more than happy to talk to people. And her number is 0456 980 149. And she's the regional coordinator for volunteers and at Vision Australia. She handles radio and also the various other activities that regional Australia do in this area. So please get in touch.
S2: No worries. And that's some that's Pam there that you can get in touch with.
S3: So yeah Pam Pam Power.
S2: Absolutely get in touch with Pam. Peter, thank you very much.
S3: Okay then. Sam, it's a pleasure to talk with you and hope it all goes well.
S2: I'm Sam Culley and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia. Radio associated stations of RPI and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that conversation there with Peter Simpson from Shepparton. If you missed any part of that conversation with Peter or you'd love to listen to it again. Talking vision is available on the Vision Australia Radio website at npr.org. That's via radio.org. You can also find the program on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. And now please enjoy my conversation with Jason. I'm here today with the lovely Jason Gibbs, who's here to chat all about the upcoming Midsummer Festival broadcast happening on Sunday the 21st of January. Jason, welcome to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for your time. Thanks, Sam.
S4: I always love coming in to have a chat with you.
S2: Now, firstly, Jason, let's get to the heart of things. What is Midsummer Festival?
S4: Yeah, well, Midsummer Festival is described by many as Melbourne's premier queer arts and culture festival. It's been going for many, many years, over a few decades. And it's really the place that, uh, Australia's, um, well, mostly Melbourne and Victoria's lgbtiq+ community come together to celebrate community and have a great time. Cool.
S2: And how is Virgin Australia Radio getting involved? Jason.
S4: Very excited. Sam. This has been something about nine months in the making. We had an idea to support the festival as a Access and inclusion partner and thankfully Mid-Summer welcomed us with opening arms. So, uh, really the objective is to make the festival more accessible to our blind and low vision listeners and community, but also support the festival in being more accessible.
S2: Okay, now we've covered the how, Jason, but let's go into the why. Why is vision Australia Radio getting involved?
S4: Yeah, quite similar, I guess, Sam, to what I guess, uh, other, uh, not for profits and uh, and corporates are thinking it's really just a very good, uh, festival to support, um, people from a diversity and inclusion perspective. We want to make sure that we're supporting our listeners. Our listeners are a broad church. We are diverse. We are very, very different from one another. But we all are similar in other ways. Um, and, uh, and this festival is a great opportunity for people to come together to experience what the Lgbtq+ community is all about and just to have a great time. The other thing worth noting is we do get data on what our listeners are, um, who they are and what they do, how they identify. And quite interestingly, uh, our most recent data shared that around 27% of our audience, uh, identify as being part of this community. Okay.
S2: And tell us about the carnival day in particular. Jason.
S4: Carnival is such a fun day, Sam. Um, it's usually the first day on the midsummer festival calendar, and you can, uh, be as adventurous or as conservative as you want from that day. Some people go along just to put the picnic blanket down and bring some cheese and drinks with their friends. Other people just take full advantage of what's happening on the various stages where there's, um, arts, cabaret music, music, uh, musical performances, uh, comedy. Sometimes just it's it's such a great event. There's also a community stall around about 100 organizations, corporates services come together to showcase the supports that they have for the Lgbtq+ community, their friends and their allies.
S2: And just, um, finally, Jason, let's, um, tell our listeners about, um, what we've got in store for people out there on the 21st of January on the day.
S4: I keep saying, we're excited about this. We're excited about that. But this is the thing we're most excited about. We will be broadcasting live from the community space. So if you do come along to Midsummer Carnival Day on the 21st of January from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., uh, we will be broadcasting live for the first time from the space, interviewing a range of people within the community, um, supporters of the community, and learning about the great services that are out there for folk. But the main objective for our broadcast is really to focus the attention on the intersection of queerness and disability. We know a lot of people who live with disability, who do identify as being part of the queer community, are often seen in one box, you know, put in one box or the other, and vice versa. So it's really a celebration of that connection where people are, they identify as living with disability and a part of the LGBTQ plus community. And this is really a day to celebrate these people and, and, you know, share, share stories, uh, share experiences, uh, across that three hours and, and celebrate who these people are and how we can support them.
S2: And how can people enjoy the midsummer broadcast? Both, um, people hearing this this way. In the lead up, but also for people who might be hearing this after Sunday.
S4: Yeah. So if you do have a chance to tune in, are Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. this Sunday, January 21st. You can listen across Virgin Australia Radio Services Victoria wide in Melbourne on VA digital. Now that's not to be confused with V Iris, who is, uh, where we're simulcasting the Australian Open. Uh, so very busy time for Virgin Australia Radio. Or you can listen to our Melbourne stream at VA radio. Org. If you do miss that broadcast or you're hearing this a little bit later, because the program does go into repeat, you'll be able to follow us on Facebook. Just look for VA Radio Network, and we'll have all the details there about how you can listen to the podcast and Sam Collins recap show next week.
S2: That's absolutely right. Okay, so a lot of things for you to look forward to out there. And, Jason, what else will be, um, happening at the Virgin Australia stall on the day for people to look forward to?
S4: Yeah. Well, of course, during the broadcast, uh, you can come along and watch what we do. Might even get you on the mic and share your thoughts about why you're there for the day. And a couple shout outs, maybe. Yes. After our broadcast at 1:00, we'll have, uh, most notably the retail team featuring at our stall, sharing a bunch of assistive technology. And the thing I really like about this, Sam, is, um, for people that aren't connected to the blind and low vision community, it's really often the assistive technology that gets people thinking about the needs of the community that we represent. So it'll be an opportunity for people to come down, have a look at this technology, talk to our team, learn a little bit about our services and a little bit more about Vision Australia Radio. Whether you might like to volunteer, sponsored, donate. Uh, we might even have some giveaways and some, uh, and a raffle too. Oh, okay.
S2: Lots to look forward to. And that's right.
S4: Through till 5:00. Yep.
S2: So make sure to head down. I've been speaking today with Jason Gipps, one of the chief organisers of this fantastic midsummer Festival show, which will be happening on the 21st of January. Jason, thank you very much for your time today and looking forward to getting involved.
S4: Thank you Sam.
S2: I'm here today with Sam from the shop, who's here to tell us all about some exciting new deals at the Vision Australia store. Sam, welcome back to Talking Vision. Happy new year.
S5: Happy New Year to you as well, Sam. Thank you for having me.
S2: Now, firstly, Sam, there's a clearance sale, as I understand it going on at the shop. Tell us a bit about that.
S5: That's correct. So for our end of life products, we are running a clearance sale which has started from the new year. It will last until basically stocks last. Um, some products are up to 70% off. So make sure you get in quick because it's things like magnifiers and other daily living aids.
S2: Okay. And um, we're going with a bit of a phone related theme today in regards to things that are out now but also upcoming. So tell us about that.
S5: Yeah. So I thought today I could talk about some phones that we currently sell and then something that's coming out maybe later in the year. So at the moment we have a phone called the Oli Tech. Easy flip. Now it's an easy to use mobile phone with large buttons and voice guidance. So it's perfect for an elderly relative who may be struggles with knowing which buttons are where. Um, some of the features it has include a photo dial option so you can save the picture of a family member to a certain number, and then have them just press that number and it would call them straight away. And another great feature it has is flip to answer, which is essentially when somebody rings the phone without pressing any buttons. As you flip it, it will answer the call. And then as you close the lid, it hangs up. So it makes it a lot easier for people, rather than navigating buttons to just simply flip the phone open.
S2: Okay, those are certainly some cool little features for sure. But Sam, what's upcoming for people to look forward to later in the year?
S5: Yeah, so we've got a big button phone with a cordless handset. So this is essentially a hybrid phone where you have two units. One is the actual landline phone, which is a corded phone, and the other part is the cordless phone. So the benefit of this is that you have the sort of traditional style phone with large buttons for a person to use as the main station. They can keep this maybe in the kitchen or the lounge room, and it has an additional station which you can keep in maybe a bedroom. The side unit is a cordless phone with large buttons, meaning that you don't have to sort of stay in the one spot you can move around while you you're on the phone.
S2: Okay, a lot of options there for both mobile and landline based and all those sort of things with the large buttons and large print for people who have very low vision to be able to use. And those also come with um, Braille on the, um, the tactile buttons, is that right?
S5: Yeah. So most of the buttons will have some form of, um, braille or something to acknowledge which button is where.
S2: Oh, perfect. Okay. And for people who are interested in having a look at what the store is offering right now, what's the best way for them to get in contact and have a look on the website?
S5: Of course. So as you open our website, the first link you should see is the clearance sale. So it's it pops right up when you're on the home page. And we also in the actual store itself, have a nice table set up with all the clearance sale items so you can come down and check it out.
S2: Okay. Perfect. And that website Shopper Vision australia.org that's shop Vision australia.org. And does the shop have a number in particular Sam that people can ring.
S5: I would say the best way to get in contact with us would be to ring the General Vision Australia number, and then be asked to put through to a specific shop.
S2: Perfect. So that's 1300 847 461 308 47466. And ask all about the shop. I've been speaking today with Sam Dry, otherwise known as Sam from the shop, all about the latest offerings and upcoming offers from the Virgin Australia store. Sam, thanks so much for your time today. It was a pleasure to catch up with you again.
S5: Thanks so much for having me, Sam.
S2: And now, before we wrap up a little bit of news and information. Monash University is seeking people aged between 18 and 30 with low vision or blindness who are interested in learning dance, to join a research workshop. The research will involve brainstorming technology driven ideas with the guidance of dance teachers to improve accessible education, and will be conducted in Melbourne. All participants will receive an electronic gift card valued at $50 per hour spent on the workshop, and a $50 gift card for any optional interviews afterwards. Travel costs for the designated workshop location will also be reimbursed. For more information and to access the explanatory statement, contact student researcher Maduka DaSilva by email at Madhukar da Silva at Monash Edu. That's mid air UK. Dot da silva@monash.edu or call 0452 373 585. That's 0452 373 585. And that's all we have time for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a production of Vision Australia Radio. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together. And remember we love your feedback and comments. So please do get in touch on Talking Vision at Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all. One word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Culley saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Virgin Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on one 308 4746. That's one 384 746 or by visiting Vision australia.org that's Vision Australia call.