S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Colley.
S2: Hello, everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour, we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: Music can have such a profound impact on people. And you don't have to be a musician by any means for that to be true. But to use music in a therapeutic context is such a privilege for me. I think what makes music therapy so crucial is that it can be an incredible way to connect with someone, and to give them a voice, when sometimes other therapies may not have been the answer. Music therapy can be such a motivating way of achieving these functional outcomes.
S2: Welcome to the program. This week we feature a very important conversation, and you might have heard about this in the news recently. We're talking about music therapy with music therapist Emily Shanahan, somebody I've had a great deal of respect for over the past two decades with her work in music therapy. And that conversation is coming up very shortly. So make sure to stick around. And then after we hear from Emily, Maureen from the library is back to preview some new events coming up in the Vision Australia library for members in 2025. And on that book theme, we finish up with a reader recommended from Francis Caitlin. I hope you'll enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. Following the news in recent weeks that music and art therapies were currently under review by the NDIS. Questions have been posed around the evidence that music and art therapies provide such a vital service, which has been responded to in overwhelming fashion by not only therapists but so many participants out there over the years, myself included, who have benefited so much from music therapy. And in that vein, it's my absolute pleasure to welcome somebody I've known for quite a long time. Music therapist Emily Shanahan to Talking vision. Emily. Hello. Welcome to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for your time.
S3: Oh, it's great to be here, Sam. Thank you so much for the invitation.
S2: It's great to connect up with you. Let's just get a bit of an overview of yourself and your work in the music therapy space.
S3: Well, I have been a music therapist for a very long time now. I think where we first crossed paths was about 24 years ago. The vibe in Burwood.
S2: That's right. Yep.
S3: And, um. Yeah, it sounds crazy that it's that long ago.
S2: It does. Really?
S3: I'm still. Yeah, I'm still working in the field, and I've spent a fair bit of time in specialist schools and pediatric hospitals and in early intervention. I've been doing on occasions a bit of teaching at Melbourne Uni in the subjects of clinical improvisation and simulated practicum. And I'm currently working in early intervention in a community healthcare setting.
S2: Oh, fantastic. And, um, let's just go into a bit about what we are here to chat about today. Now, people have no doubt probably followed the news recently, in the past few weeks with a lot of I guess uncertainty is the word we'd use around the future of music and art therapies going into 2025. So I'd just like to get some thoughts from yourself, and I suppose the sector and other colleagues of yours and how you've reacted to this recent news regarding the funding changes.
S3: Yeah, I think I mean, you really hit the nail on the head with the word uncertainty because it was a complete shock when we found out about this, that the funding was going to be cut. And as a result, it's been a really challenging couple of weeks for music therapists, but also for our participants who are now feeling a little bit on edge, like there will be 8000 participants who will be impacted by funding cuts if this goes ahead. And so, I mean, that is an enormous number of people who are going to be really, seriously impacted. The Music Therapy Association has been incredible. Like their response is amazing. As registered music therapist, we're pretty used to having to fight for our cause, but this has really been extreme as a positive. I guess the support that we've felt from each other and the community has been incredible. And our petition to keep music therapy as an NDIS funded therapeutic support is it's now reached 58,000 signatures.
S2: Oh my God, that's incredible. No, that's, um, that's really pleasing to hear that it's gotten such a really amazing response like that. But it really does speak to the importance of music therapy. And this ties into something you and I are both acutely aware of. And that's why music therapy is so crucial to so many people in the community. Now let's go into that because there's so much we can unpack here. There's so many different aspects, and I know the impact that it's had for me, but I'd just love to get your thoughts and go to the heart of why it's so important, and why it really means so much to be involved in that sector.
S3: Yeah. Great question, I think. I mean, music can have such a profound impact on people. And you don't have to be a musician by any means for that to be true. But to use music in the therapeutic context is such a privilege for me. I think what makes music therapy so crucial is that it can be an incredible way to connect with someone, and to give them a voice, when sometimes other therapies may not have been the answer. And I think we're hearing a lot of stories about this at the moment in the news. So many participants saying I couldn't access other things. I couldn't you know, I think music therapy can be such a motivating way of achieving these functional outcomes. And look, that's the language that's really important to funding supports like the Ndia. Is that functional outcomes, those things like improved participation and independence in daily practical activities. So this is what's being funded. And as a therapist that we're really trying to prove that what we're doing is impacting the daily lives of our participants.
S2: And I must say, I'd vouch for that 100%. You know, this is something I've gotten involved in since a very young age. And I think without music therapy, there's a bunch of doors that wouldn't have been opened. Although, you know, I have always been quite musically inclined. I've had perfect pitch and all that sort of thing. But responding to that, when you're 3 or 4 and then people sort of think, oh, okay, there's, you know, something there. So it moves on to the next kind of thing. And having that involvement with other people as well, that social element and, you know, making music together. And and that's just been so fun as well. And that was just, you know, have memories that last a lifetime. And then one of those people is now a world touring. You know, singer in a rock band and you just think, oh my God. Well, that just wouldn't have been possible without music therapy. And there's so much to unpack and so many great stories to share and all that sort of thing as well.
S3: Would it be okay for me to say, Sam? Yeah. So I think when you met me in 2001 and we there was a choir and a few performances that happened and a lot of laughing and learning. I think from that group there are quite a number who are working professionally in music.
S2: Yes.
S3: And I mean, that's just incredible that talking of functional goals that, you know, people have it now is their vocation. Yeah, I learnt a lot in that setting and look perfect pitch. How amazing. Not a skill that I have, but so many people at rehab had these incredible skills that that it was just beautiful using music to embrace that together.
S2: That's exactly it. And, you know, one of those was the late, great Dorothy Hamilton, who sadly left us a few months back now. She had such a profound impact on Braille music and getting kids who are totally blind and getting them into music and teaching them that music is accessible in that way. And, um, absolutely. We had a conversation with one of the transcribers of Braille music, Geordie Howell, who works at Vision Australia, and she's quite a central figure or has been in the braille music camps over the past almost two decades now, both as a student and going back and helping out as a teacher. So there's so many different connections and ways that Braille music can interface with other parts of, you know, the music therapy space. And so that's that's also quite interesting. What sort of things would you have to say in terms of music therapy in particular with relation to blindness and low vision. I know we've spoken a bit about the interactions with people through our vibe, but what sort of things have really stood out for you over the decades in terms of how those two kind of interact?
S3: Thinking about it in terms of the language that we're needing to use with the NDIS and those functional outcomes. I've been doing some work with a young student who is blind, and it's about those daily supports around, you know, how you might have a shower or how you might go into a public space and things that you need to think about. So we might do chanting or breathwork and relaxation activities around that, or we might create songs together to the point where they can be used independently to help with those goals. And I think in terms of accessibility, I think music is just something for so many people that I've worked with has just been particularly Accessible because there are just so many skills in that area.
S2: Finally, Emily, I think we'll get back to particularly what you and others in the music therapy space are hoping for, anticipating in terms of next steps that you'd like to see from the government and from the Ndia going forward in the next weeks and months to come.
S3: I guess ultimately what we're hoping for would be for this decision to be reversed. Yes. And for the government to keep music therapy as an NDIS funded therapeutic support. Our association did meet with Minister Bill shorten recently, and he did acknowledge the importance of music therapy as an evidence based support. And now there's going to be an independent review that will maintain and ensure the quality of the therapeutic services. So Doctor Stephen Duckett has been appointed to review the evidence, and the Amta has requested that he provide some copies of evidence that founded why this decision happened originally. But yeah, we also hope, I guess, that he meet with participants and their families to hear firsthand about the work that we're doing and the impact that that can have. And I finally, I'd say probably as an allied health profession, that we're fighting to have the same standards and review processes as colleagues, for example, those in speech pathology or occupational therapy. So, yeah, we're hoping it will be a very comprehensive review and that will be consulted through the decision making process. And I think we need some time really before any changes happen in the pricing guidelines. Yeah.
S2: And Emily, if people would love to find out a bit more about music therapy, what's the best place to head to?
S3: I would say the best place to head to is our website, which is awesome. Org. I'll spell it out just in case that will help a u s t m t a o o u. And there are a few drop down columns, but the one about music therapy then drops down to music therapy and the NDIS, if that is what they're specifically looking for. And in there there is a disability evidence summary which is really informative and written by many, many clever music therapists and definitely worth a read. There are also lots of videos about music therapy which tell stories of music therapy in different working in early intervention or working in aged care, and they're really amazing resources to have a listen to if people are interested.
S2: Perfect. Well, I've been speaking today with Emily Shanahan about the changes in music therapy and the future of both music and art therapies in 2025, so we both follow that with great interest. Emily, thank you so much for your time today. It was great to catch up with you again and chat all about music therapy.
S3: My pleasure Sam, and thank you so much for your support.
S2: On Sam Culley and you're listening to Talking Vision on a Vision Australia Radio, associated Stations of Reading Radio and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that conversation as much as I did with Emily Shanahan. If you missed any part of that conversation with Emily or you'd love to hear it again. Talking vision is available on the Vision Australia Radio website. VA radio.org. That's VA radio all one word.org where you can find talking, vision and so many other programs on the Vision Australia radio network. You can also find Talking Vision on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. And speaking of the library, well, it's a happy New Year and happy new library with a bunch of really exciting events coming up in the Vision Australia Library for members in 2025, and to have a chat with us all about these. It's my great pleasure to welcome back Maureen from the library. Maureen, welcome back to Talking Vision. Great to have you.
S4: I love being on Talking Vision. I get to live my dream of being a radio personality.
S2: And we certainly love to have you. And because it's the New year, happy New Year as well. There's a lot of exciting things coming up for people out there in the world of the library in 2025. So let's get a bit of an overview.
S4: Well, we have a massive year planned for 2025. We have 16 programs we'll be running, which involves over 61 individual sessions over the coming 12 months. So it's going to be heaps of fun. There's some new programs that are there to excite everyone. We've resurrected some favourites from previous years that had had a bit of a rest, and then we have our staples from this year that everybody loves, so hopefully there'll be something for everyone.
S2: What are some new programs that people can look forward to?
S4: Ah, well, under the realm of a reading program. So we sort of do reading and writing ones. We have our new book, chap with the Vision Australia Library. So in that program we will have a Vision Australia librarian that will be present with me. And they'll give a review of two newly released mainstream best selling books, so they'll have a discussion of what's really good about the book. What? Tell us a bit about the author and really give a sort of warts and all appraisal of the book. And then once they've gone through their two books, we're going to go around the group and all the participants that are present, those that want to will tell us what they've been reading and they'll give a review of their recent reads, so they'll get to channel their inner Margaret Pomeranz or whoever they want to be. And they can be highly critical, or they can be glowing with their praise. And the idea is that in the span of that hour, and we're going to do it quarterly, that we will have the opportunity to fill your bookshelf with a whole lot of new books, and that you've got an idea of, you know what's good about them, which ones you want to read, and just a little bit of a taste to get you excited.
S2: Yeah, no, that sounds a lot of fun. Very well received, but let's keep on that theme of the favorites out there. The programs that people absolutely loved to get involved with that are making a return in 2025. So let's have a chat about a couple of those. What are some really popular favorites that are making a return for people to look forward to?
S4: One of our favorites that's really popular is our In conversations with our authors. So we'll have six authors coming in this year and the same format as previous years, will introduce the author, give a little bit of an overview, and then have about 45 minutes or so interrogating them, usually finding out about a new release book. And then people have the opportunity to submit questions either online during the session, or they can actually submit questions during the registration process. And then we'll have a variety of interviewers that will be there for us. So we'll have myself interviewing Emily Maguire on Valentine's Day. So that's an easy date for everyone to remember. And Emily's got a new book that's just been released called rapture, and she's an award winning author, so that's going to be a load of fun. Uh, we will have two authors coming in with the Melbourne Writers Festival in May, and that will be a hybrid event. So we will have everyone able to watch online, but they also have the opportunity to come into Qiyong and see them in person. And then we will have three more authors later in the year, and they will be interviewed by Sarah Bloedorn, who's a library manager, Leanne Sajjadi. And we're also having Dave Tredinnick do one of ours as well. Oh, fantastic. So just roll out a whole lot of different interviewing styles, because otherwise people get bored of the sound of my voice.
S2: No, no, no one can get bored of that. Don't worry. But yeah, it's very exciting to have Leanne and Sarah involved, and especially Dave. He's a lot of fun. So I think a lot of people will love to hear from Dave what Dave did.
S4: One of our conversations earlier this year with les and his son Ben and daughter Emily. And that was very, very well received. It was very cheeky.
S2: Oh, yeah, I love that. No, he's, um he's he can be quite cheeky. It's, um. Quite. It's always fun. It's always a bit unpredictable. He's a bit off the wall sometimes. So. Yeah, a lot of lot of things to look forward to there. And Maureen, there's something else exciting that's pretty new. You're gonna have a few conversations with the narrators, the people behind the scenes who make it all happen.
S4: We are one of the things we do at the end of all of our programs and events is a post-event evaluation. So we ask people, what did you like about it? What did you enjoy? What you'd like to see more of? And we asked them for any ideas, so I can't even take credit for this one. This one came from the feedback from a number of our members saying that they'd love to have the opportunity to speak with the narrators and to chat with the narrators, and to get to know these people, because a lot of our members have been listening to books that have been narrated by the same people for the last 20, 30, 40 years. And it's like a friend that they invite into their home. So they're very attached to them. So we are going to have Meet your Vision Australia Library narrators. We're going to start with 2 in 2025. So we're going to put a toe into the water and see how they're received. And they'll have a three part structure. So first I'll do an introduction to the narrator with a little brief overview of their history with Vision Australia. And then what they're going to do is a reading from their favorite book that they've narrated for the library. So. Or even one that they really would have liked to have narrated. So they'll actually read for 20 or 30 minutes live from one of their favorite books, maybe one solid section, or it might be a couple of excerpts. And then afterwards we'll have an interview with the narrator, including questions that our members have put in during the registration process or that they popped into the zoom chat. So it's a lovely opportunity to get to know them as a person, but also to listen to them reading something that they really enjoy as distinct from something that you know, has been imposed upon them now.
S2: Um, speaking of things that people can look forward to, if people are listening to this and thinking, oh wow, that all sounds fantastic, I'd love to get involved. Where do I go to find out more? Let's give people some details that they can get in touch with the library.
S4: Well, the best place they can go really is the Vision Australia Library website, which is Vision Australia Library. And if you just scan down that first page to the What's On section, you'll see all the upcoming events that we have. So we usually have about six up there at a time. So you'll see the next six that are upcoming which will be reading and writing events. But in addition to that, we also list all of our events in our bi monthly newsletter. So I really encourage everyone to make sure that they are receiving the newsletter, and all library members will receive it unless they've opted out of having email communication, which they can change if they want to. And that lists all the upcoming events that we have. And then the other place they can always come on is to listen to your show, to listen to Francis Collins show, to listen to Peter Greco's show. And I'm always on there talking about what's new and what's coming up for us as well.
S2: Oh, perfect. All right. Well, I've been speaking today with Maureen from the library, chatting to us all about the exciting events coming up for Vision Australia library members in 2025. Maureen, great to have you as always. Happy 2025 and look forward to hearing how all the events go.
S4: I hope you have a wonderful year and I get to come and chat all throughout the year and tell everyone about our new events.
S2: Absolutely looking forward to it.
S4: Thanks, Sam.
S2: And now here's Frances Keelan with a reader recommended.
S5: Thank you Sam. It has been 60 years since Mary Poppins first hit our cinemas. So I thought it'd be good to have a sample of Julie Andrews book home. Her memoir. Over the years, Julie Andrews has been much interviewed in the press and on television, but she has never before revealed the true story of her childhood and upbringing. In home, she vividly recreates the years before the movies, and idyllic early childhood in Surrey was cut short when her parents divorced and her mother remarried. The family moved to London and there are vivid scenes of life during the Blitz. Her mother went into musical theatre with her stepfather, who encouraged Julie to have singing lessons, which led to the discovery that her voice had phenomenal range and strength for someone her age. Before long, she was appearing on stage with her parents. She soon realised how much she enjoyed looking out into the black auditorium with the spotlights on her. By the time she was a teenager, she was supporting her whole family with her singing. A London Palladium pantomime led to a leading role in The Boyfriend on Broadway at 19 parts in My Fair Lady, opposite Rex Harrison and Camelot with Richard Burton soon followed, and there are wonderful anecdotes about the actors and actresses of her day. But this is far more than a collection of show stories. Home is an honest, touching and revealing memoir of the early life of a true icon. Let's hear a sample of Home by Julie Andrews, narrated by Julie Andrews.
S6: I am told that the first comprehensible word I uttered as a child was home. My father was driving his second hand. Austin seven. My mother was in the passenger seat beside him, holding me on her lap as we approached our modest house. Dad braked the car to turn on to the pocket handkerchiefs, square of concrete by the gate, and apparently I quietly, tentatively said the word home. My mother told me there was a slight upward inflection in my voice. Not a question so much as a trying of the word on the tongue with perhaps the delicious discovery of connection, the word to the place. My parents wanted to be sure they had heard me correctly. So dad drove around the lanes once again, and as we returned, it seems I repeated the word. My mother must have said it more than once upon arrival at our house, perhaps with satisfaction or relief, or maybe to instill in her young daughter a sense of comfort and safety. The word has carried enormous resonance for me ever since. Home.
S5: So that was home by Julie Andrews. If you would like to borrow that book, or if you would like to find out more about Vision Australia Library, just give them a call on one 365 4656. That's one 365 4656. Or you can email library at Vision Australia. That's library at Vision Australia.
S2: And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember, we love hearing from you. So please get in touch anytime on our email at Talking Vision at Vision Australia. Org. That's talking vision all one word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Corley saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on one 384 7486. That's one 384 7486 or by visiting Vision Australia. That's Vision Australia. Org.