S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Coley.
S2: Hello, everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour, we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: I just really enjoy giving back to the community and helping with different initiatives that make a difference. And other than my day job, I'm also a City of Greater Geelong councillor. And so it's those types of community initiatives that always spark my interest. So I didn't necessarily have any exposure to people that have challenges with vision. It was just that I saw this initiative, my love for running, and I thought, if I can help those that are not able to get out and about and have a run without some assistance, why wouldn't I do that? And so that's really been my my incentive.
S2: Welcome to the program. This week we've got a bit of a regional flavor on talking vision, as we feature a voice familiar to a lot of people in Bendigo. It's Bruce Lee's as he catches up with Graham Knight. Now they're both part of the Bendigo Amateur Radio and Electronics Club or Barak, and they're always looking for new members, including amateur radio enthusiasts who are blind or have low vision. So if that sounds like you, stay tuned as that interviews not very far away at all. Then after we hear from Bruce and Graham, I catch up with Eddie Connell from Geelong. Achilles, the new branch of Achilles. Australia, which is setting up their first event on the 8th of September at the Geelong Botanical Gardens. And then finally to wrap up the show this week, I'm joined by Liz Dalakouras, the editor of Foyer Information, for an FYI update. I hope you'll enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. And now here's Vision Australia Radio bendigo's very own Bruce Lee's.
S4: Now with me in the studio, I have Graham Knight who is a radio amateur operator.
S2: Vk3 Grk.
S4: Just for the record, now before we get talking about radio fests and all these things, what is the difference between amateur radio and ham radio?
S5: Well, okay, Bruce, thanks for having me in, by the way. Um, amateur radio and ham radio are basically the same thing. The term ham radio goes back quite a long way. Uh, and there's probably a little bit of, um, I guess, um, controversy about how the word ham came about. But, um, one theory is that it's all about hamming it up and actors and that sort of thing. And also, um, ham radio operators, uh, used Morse code as well. Well, some do, if they like Morse code. And going back in the day, there was a terminology called ham fisted. And so when you use your Morse code key with your, your hand on the Morse code key, it's a little bit like a ham fist, ham fisted. So there's probably a couple of reasons why the term ham radio came about, but it's actually amateur radio.
S4: Much the same thing. In other words, interchanging.
S5: Yes. Yeah.
S4: All right. So now amateur radio, what do amateur radio operators do and how do they do it. You've already mentioned Morse code. Yeah.
S5: Well amateur radio is all about experimenting in the science of radio, whether that be electronics transmitters, receivers, antennas. It's different to broadcast radio. What the listeners are listening to now is broadcast radio. Some amateurs are involved in broadcast radio as well, but it's all about the technical aspects of amateur radio and communications communicating overseas, um, and experimenting with electronics. There's all sorts of modes you can experiment with Am, FM, sideband, digital modes, digital amateur television, satellites so amateur radio operators can use from the very oldest technology, from Morse code and valve radios, right up to the latest cutting edge technology, and even use satellites and speak to astronauts on the International Space Station.
S4: Now, this is a self-interested question. I'm going to ask how how smart do you have to be to be an amateur radio operator?
S5: Okay, Bruce. Well, there's actually three levels of licensing. Um, many years ago, it was a lot harder to get involved with. You needed to have a greater depth of knowledge as far as electronics these days. There's the foundation license, which is the basic license. There's the standard license, and there's the advanced license. Now, the foundation license is the most basic license and requires a very basic knowledge of electronics and antenna theory and safety. Safety, of course, is very important. And radio regulations. So there's not a lot of maths involved. And there's a book that you can purchase that makes it a lot easier to study with. And then you have to go for your assessment, which is a 25 multiple choice question exam and a practical assessment.
S4: Now, I understand you are indeed an assessor.
S5: Yes, I am an assessor. Bruce.
S4: Yes. What is, uh, what age do we go down to? For instance, are we talking about high school students?
S5: Uh, there's no, um, minimum age. Uh, so I've actually put through, taught and assessed, uh, a couple of ten year olds, uh, a couple of years ago. And they did. They did very well. So you can be as young as you like, or you can be as old as you like. Mhm. Um, so we have a lot of amateurs that are um, quite young and uh, quite old.
S4: So quite a big spread and not to be put off. You did give it a very technical description but, but you can get in on the, the foundation level you caught it and make, make a start from there. Now of course, we're on Vision Australia radio here, right through Australia. People that are visually impaired, I understand, are not only welcome but assisted in getting amateur radio licenses.
S5: Yes. Well, as far as the assessment goes, Bruce, we have special assessors that are qualified to provide special assessments for, for example, uh, visually impaired people. Mhm. Uh, and that may involve for example, I did one assessment where I enlarged the assessment paper up to A3 and that was suitable for this particular person. And she found that quite quite good. Mhm. Um or it might require the assessor to read the questions so the, the assessor can adapt the assessment um in accordance with the requirements.
S4: How does one, assuming that one's studied and passed that test that way? How does one then operate the equipment? These these devices can be quite technical can't they.
S5: Well, most radios today a lot of modern radios have is.
S4: The two way radio.
S5: Yes. The amateur radio equipment, the transceiver. We'll have a particular button that you can press that will verbally announce the frequency and the mode and tell you all sorts of things about what the radio is doing, so you know what frequency you're on. You know where to turn the dial to. Uh, so the radios are actually equipped to make it easier for various people.
S4: I've heard that there is a gentleman, certainly one in South Australia, that is in an aged care home, and he's probably in his 80s, and he's got a little walkie talkie that he could talk all over the world with, and he finds it. Just push the button and go.
S5: Yeah, it's pretty amazing. Um, so that technology is all about internet linking. So there's certain repeaters or nodes, as they call it, um, uh, that you can access with your radio via radio waves to that particular node or repeater. And in turn, that repeater or node is connected into an amateur radio network that allows you to connect up to different repeaters or nodes worldwide. So you can effectively be there with a small handheld walkie talkie type radio talking all over the world. So that type of thing is very good for people in, uh, homes and things like.
S4: That, or requiring a device that's simple to use.
S5: Yes, and it's fairly simple to use and without too much technical knowledge required.
S4: Now, talking about technical knowledge and interest, let's give the plug to in. In your case, particularly in Bendigo, the Bendigo Amateur Radio and Electronics Club, of which you and I are a member, is holding a radio fest. Yes, on Radio Fest.
S5: So it's called a radio fest and not just a ham fest. Uh, because, um, we're wanting to attract people interested in multiple facets of communication. So a lot of ham fests are called just that ham fests or amateur radio fests. Uh, some are called radio fests. And, um, we're calling it a radio fest to attract people not only just into amateur radio, but maybe CB radio as well. And CB radio is also a fun and practical thing to get into as well.
S4: You don't have to pass a license for that.
S5: You don't need an individual license for CB radio and CB can also be very practical for communications. And one thing I like to promote and ask people about is their communications plan. Because these days we're reliant on mobile phones and internet and networks and things like that. When they fail. What can you use? Amateur radio or CB radio as well can possibly be a practical alternative form of communications.
S4: So this radio fest is going to be when and where.
S5: So it's going to be on Sunday the 18th of August at the Bendigo East Hall, 35 Lansell Street at 10 a.m..
S4: Okay. And I understand it is going to be a glorified swap meet. Well, yes.
S5: Yes. Also you can call it a swap meet as well. Yeah. Uh, and some say, you know, some people get rid of their junk and pass it on to others. But, uh, it's a swap meet. And also, uh, there'll be a company called Elite Communications, which will be joining us. They're relatively new company from Queensland, and they'll actually have quite a number of tables. And they specialise in amateur radio and CB radio as well, including. 27MHz and UHF CB radio.
S4: Well, going back to the aspiring amateur, this is a good way to get into the the hobby, dare I call it that or interest because you can obtain second hand gear at things like this very easily.
S5: Yes, that's very popular for obtaining second hand equipment at these radio fests as well.
S4: Okay. Radio Fest 18th of August, which is a Sunday. Mhm. All right. That's great. So Graham what would be the best way maybe online to find out more information about amateur radio and indeed Bendigo Amateur Radio Club and the Radio Fest.
S5: Well they could start by looking up our website at Barrick Neto and Barrick is Barrick. And they could also Google Wireless Institute of Australia as well. There's a whole lot of information on their website too.
S4: And that represents all of Australia. Exactly.
S5: Yes.
S4: Graham Vk3 Grk, thank you very much for coming in and telling us about amateur ham radio and the radio fest, and indeed how it can be something that people with visual impairment can be very much involved.
S5: That's okay. Thanks for having me. Bruce Vk3, triple F, I'll sign off.
S2: On Sam Culley and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio, associated Stations of Reading Radio and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that conversation there between Bruce and Graham about Barak and the upcoming Radio Fest taking place on the 18th of August. If you missed any part of that conversation with Bruce and Graham and you'd love to hear it again, Talking vision is available on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. You can also find the latest episode of Talking Vision as well as past episodes on the Vision Australia Radio website at VA radio.org that's VA radio.org. In some exciting news, Achilles Australia will be setting up its first regional branch in Geelong, where people with disabilities can enjoy the social, recreational and health benefits of an active lifestyle. To tell us more about Achilles Geelong and fill us in with all the details about their first event, which will be taking place in just a few weeks time, I'm joined by one of the people who made it all happen, Eddie Contel. Eddie, welcome to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for your time.
S3: Thank you Sam. I'm really looking forward to chatting to you.
S2: Now, Eddie, before we jump in for people out there who may or may not be familiar, what is Achilles?
S3: So Achilles is an organization that commenced in New York quite some time ago, and it really was established to assist athletes that have, um, some challenges, whether it be physical or with vision or other. And it was then taken up here in Australia and, uh, started um, I think one of the first ones was Achilles in Melbourne. And so what that group is doing, and they're doing a very good job down there, is people that have challenges with vision but would like to participate in running or walking in a safe environment. Achilles offers trained, sighted guides that are able to guide people with those activities, and they do that in and around the Melbourne Botanical Gardens, or running tracks that are in proximity to there. So that's what Achilles does. It really just helps people to be able to participate in activities where they may need to have an aid, but predominantly people that have challenges with vision.
S2: But in some exciting news, Eddie Achilles is also coming to Geelong. So tell us a bit about that and how that's all going.
S3: It is exciting. You're hearing it first here, Sam. So yes, we've been talking about this and working on the concept of introducing Achilles chapter in Geelong for quite some time, but got really active about six months ago and through the good help and support of Achilles Melbourne, we're now commencing a chapter in Geelong and we're starting with our first guided walk and running activity on the 8th of September.
S2: Oh wow. That's fantastic. And how did you get involved with Achilles?
S3: Well, on a really enthusiastic runner. And so any opportunity that I get to go for a run, I take it. And because I work in Melbourne, I quite often stay in Melbourne. And when running around the botanical gardens there, I couldn't help but notice all of the great Achilles folk with their bright yellow t shirts, helping people run around the botanical gardens. So it really, I suppose, attracted my interest. And so when I found out more about what they do, I just thought, this is just such a fantastic initiative because I know just how much I enjoy running. And if I wasn't able to do that, how disappointed I would be. And so I imagine there's many people in the same place as myself, and the fact that I actually live in Geelong and we're such a growing community. In fact, as long as one of the fastest growing regional cities in Australia, I thought there's a real opportunity for us to introduce something in Geelong. And so when I introduced myself to the vice president at Achilles Melbourne, a beautiful lady by the name of Amanda Kwong, she certainly was very supportive as the whole team has been there at Achilles Melbourne, and they certainly encouraged me to to see if we could get something to happen in Geelong. And that's how it's come about.
S2: We'll get back to that event on the 8th of September in a little bit, Eddie. But before we do that, I just want to find out a little bit more about you. Had you had much exposure to the world of blindness or low vision before you jumped in and got involved with Achilles?
S3: No, to be honest, I didn't. I suppose my background is, is that I just really enjoy giving back to the community and helping with different initiatives that make a difference. And other than my day job, I'm also a City of Greater Geelong councillor. And so it's those types of community initiatives that always sparked my interest. So I didn't necessarily have any exposure to people that have challenges with vision. It was just that I saw this initiative, my love for running, and I thought, if I can help those that are not able to get out and about and have a run without some assistance, why wouldn't I do that? And so that's really been my my incentive.
S2: Let's, um, get back on to that event on the 8th of September that's coming up. Tell us a bit more about that.
S3: Yes. So at this stage we've still got a little bit more to organise. But at this stage we're looking to kick off at 9:30 a.m. in the Geelong Botanical Garden. There's a very well known circuit there that's called the Eastern Park Circuit, and it really starts at the main barbecue rotunda area there in the gardens. And so we're going to have people from Achilles Melbourne down supporting us, and we're just encouraging as many people as we possibly can to come down and try and learn more about what we're doing, and if they need help to do that, they should reach out to us to see if we can help them get there. And we'd just love to be able to share the joys of running and walking around the beautiful environment of the Geelong Botanical Gardens with as many people as we can.
S2: What are some future plans for Achilles? What are you looking forward to and what would you love to see happen in the future in terms of ideas you might have, or places you'd like to go or things like that?
S3: That's a great question. Yes. Well, first and foremost, I really hope we can get enough people interested to participate in the joys of running and walking so that we can at least hold regular sessions throughout the month, and whether that be once a month to start with or every weekend, depending on what the demand is. That would be first and foremost. But going forward, some of the things I'd like to see is for us to participate in different fund runs. And, you know, we have the 21 kilometer half marathon here in Geelong. I know that people from Achilles in different areas of Australia have participated in that before, and we'd love to be able to help people out to participate in different fund runs and whether it be marathons or other. And the other thing that I'd like to also hope that we might be able to do is maybe some outings to places like the You Yangs, where we could do a little bit of hiking as well. So it's things of that nature that I think we'll be able to expand into a.
S2: Lot of exciting options there. So let's see how that all pans out. So we've got our fingers crossed that there is quite a significant uptake in things just go from strength to strength. But of course in order for that to happen, we need people to join up. So what is the best way for people to sign up to Achilles to come and have a walk or a run or a hike with the Geelong crew?
S3: I think at the moment, the best way of going about that would be either to phone the Achilles number, which I will give you, or to email us, and we can certainly provide more information or simply just turn up at 9:30 a.m. or thereabouts to the Geelong Botanical Gardens at the big barbecue rotunda area, and you'll be greeted warmly by all of the support crew that are there, and we can just kick it off from there.
S2: Let's, um, get those contact details now in case people would like to sign up or perhaps find out more, or pass it on to some family or friends they think would be perfect.
S3: That's fantastic. Well, our phone number is 0474 243 179. So that's 0474 243 179. And the email address it's a little bit tricky but it's basically one word and it's Geelong Achilles, which is ach I double l e s Australia at gmail.com.
S2: Okay. And do you have perhaps some websites or social media that people could head to?
S3: Yes, we are going to be commencing in the next week or so. A Facebook page, but also an Achilles Melbourne has a Facebook page. And so if you go onto the Achilles Melbourne Facebook page, our information will be there as well.
S2: Well that all sounds fantastic. Really looking forward to hearing how that all goes. I've been speaking today with Eddie Connell from Geelong Achilles, which is just kicking off, so we wish them all the very best for the future and all the best for the event on September 8th. Eddie, thanks so much for your time today. It's great to catch up with you and hear all about Geelong Achilles.
S3: Thank you Sam. Really look forward to meeting you in person one day.
S2: August is upon us, so what better time than to catch up with the editor of Foyer Information, otherwise known as FYI Liz Dalakouras to get the latest update on a couple of issues. Yep, that's right, we're covering not one but two issues of foyer information today. So without further ado, here's Liz right now. Liz, welcome back to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for your time.
S6: Thank you for having me, Sam. It's nice to be there.
S2: Now we're covering a couple of issues of FYI this week there's an issue that recently came out. So what were the highlights from that one that you'd love to let our listeners know about?
S6: Um, some really big news that's actually happening in South Australia is that there's been new changes to e-scooters, and their footpath regulations, and e-scooters are now allowed to go on the footpath along with with pedestrians, which is actually quite dangerous for the blind and low vision community certainly is.
S2: What else can people expect from that issue?
S6: So something else to share is Sister Helen Clifton Marin has been awarded the medal of the Order of Australia in the General Division for outstanding contributions to special needs education and the Catholic Church in Australia. She became blind as an adult and has championed special needs education, has been a devoted religious leader and advocate, and is an overall amazing woman, so the award was very well deserved.
S2: That certainly sounds pretty well deserved. That's a great story to follow up on. So yeah, that's really cool. Now what else can people expect from that one?
S6: There's also been an announcement on an update on the delay of the New Aged Care Act. The Albanese government has expressed its gratitude to the people involved, who gave them input into the proposed New Aged Care Act. They are taking it all into consideration and the bill will not be introduced until 2025. But there is updates coming soon.
S2: Okay, fantastic news there. And that is those three from the previous issue of FYI, which just came out to people's inboxes last week. But there's also an issue coming up, Liz. So give us a bit of a highlight package of that one as well.
S6: So the highlights would be something very, very cool. Vision Australia has worked with Mattel and we have developed Blind Barbie now available in Australia.
S2: Oh my.
S6: God. Other. Yeah. Some other exciting news is we have partnered with Telstra. They are going to close their 3G networks come August 31st. But we do sell the Blind Shell Classic which works with 4G. Your mobile phone most likely already supports 4G, but if you are still using a 3G phone, you will need to upgrade. You can visit us online for more information.
S2: And finally, Liz, what else is there in store for people?
S6: So it's exciting for us to announce that our Home Care Packages program is now available in New South Wales.
S2: Wow, that's really cool. Okay. Yeah. And if people would like to find out more about FII, or perhaps sign up to get on to the mailing list, that new sign up process is still in the pipeline. But in the meantime, you can head to Vision Australia's website at Vision australia.org. That's Vision australia.org to find out all the latest about fire information, otherwise known as FYI. But for all those stories and more, check out for your information Vision Australia's fortnightly newsletter with all the latest news and information of interest to the blind and low vision community. Liz, thanks so much for your time today. Great to catch up with you again and hear all about the latest issues of FYI.
S6: Not a problem. Thank you for having me, Sam. A pleasure as always.
S2: And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember we love hearing from you. So please get in touch anytime on our email at Talking Vision at Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all. One word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Kerley saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on 1300 847 406. That's one (300) 847-4106 or by visiting Vision australia.org. That's Vision australia.org.