S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Colley.
S2: Hello, everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour, we talk matters of blindness and low vision. A lot of blind and vision impaired people don't have a lot of confidence. So if somebody says no, you can't do that, they go, oh, okay, I can't do it now. I'll walk off and find something else to do. So if anyone listening out there wants to get fitter or whatever, be confident, say, hey, I want to go and into this gym, I want to go hiking, I want to experience this and you should find a way of doing it. Welcome to the program. This week we're heading over to South Australia to have a chat with a couple of show hosts from Vision Australia Radio in Adelaide. It's Sam Richard and Lizzie Eastham from Studio One who are taking part in the 100 K Your Way challenge, and there's still time to join them. If you're interested in walking, running, swing riding or moving 100 K your way over the month of April to raise vital funds for Vision Australia Radio and the services they provide to the blind, low vision and print disabled communities. That interview is coming up very shortly, so make sure to stick around and after you hear from Lizzie and Sam, Frances Caitlin is back on the program for a reader recommended, and we finish up once again with a little bit of news and information. I hope you enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. In the past couple of weeks, we've spoken to a couple of people from Melbourne and Perth taking part in the 100 K Your Way challenge to feel good, get moving and raise funds to support people who live with blindness or low vision. In case you haven't heard of the challenge, by now, people across Australia are walking, riding, swimming, running or moving 100 K their way across the month of April. And two such people from Adelaide this week are Sam Rickard and Lizzie Eastham, the co-hosts of Studio One on Virgin Australia radio in Adelaide. And it's my great pleasure to welcome them. Now, Sam, Lizzie, welcome to Talking Vision. Thanks so much for coming back and having a chat.
S3: Well, we're glad to be back. Mr. Sam C.
S4: Thanks for having us.
S2: Now, as people are well aware, you're both the hosts of Studio One. So tell us a little bit about the show before we jump into the 100 K chat.
S4: So Studio One is a show that looks at life from a blind and low vision point of view. Yeah, we cover topics that are experienced by blind, vision impaired people on a daily basis, such as, you know, public transport and technology and all sorts of other stuff.
S3: The general idea is that we're going out to a wider audience plus, so it provides some degree of education to people who may not know everything there is to know about being vision impaired or blind, but also if you are vision impaired and blind or blind and listening, it will give you this sort of ah, yes, I understand that. So this is this wry smile as you hear some of the stuff we're talking about. So we aim to entertain and inform.
S2: And some of course, this month is an opportunity to entertain and inform people out there across Australia in another way, through the hundred K Your Way challenge, where they can follow all the participants, including yourself and Lizzie, on social media and various other channels as you walk, run, swim, ride, do whatever you want to do to get up to those 100km. But also there is a vital purpose to this, of course, to raise important funds for Vision Australia and get people thinking about the challenges that people who are blind or have low vision face when they want to get fit and healthy. So you know, what sort of motivated you to get involved, Sam? What really sort of kicked that off for you?
S3: I've got an email from our volunteer coordinator, Guillaume, who said, oh, am I? We're raising a team. Would you like to be on it? So I said, all right, we'll give this a go. And because I can be sort of physical if I need to be, I used to do a little bit of running when I was younger, so, uh, yeah, I sort of thought, oh, I'll give that a go. And that's why I've been sort of hobbling around like an old man building up about seven K's per day or thereabouts.
S4: Like I say, a little bit of running. Yeah.
S2: Just, you know, casually. An Olympic bronze medallist. No big deal.
S4: Yeah. That's it.
S3: But also. But, uh, as things will start going along and it's like, well, my work wife over here who does a lot more exercise than I do and probably is better connected than I am, and I got her involved as well.
S2: And Lizzy, has that been going for you, apart from the encouragement from Sam and, you know, getting involved that way, what was your motivation in particular?
S4: Well, I'm very passionate about people with blindness or low vision, gaining fitness and mobility and keeping that fitness. Unfortunately, a lot of people with blindness or vision impairment are conditioned to believe that there is this barrier that stops them from being able to be mobile or fit. And for me, as someone who's had struggles with their health and someone who is now, I think I would consider myself to be fairly, you know, I'm fit enough, you know? So I just thought this challenge would be a good way to show others that you can be fit. You can be mobile despite your disability. And, uh, I have actually already done my 100 K. In fact, I did it within four days, so I had to. Yeah, I had to reset my goal to 250 K, and it looks like I'm probably going to get that by the end of this week. So I'm going to have to keep pushing the goal up.
S2: That's incredible. Wow. That's unbelievable. You've already smashed that 100 K. That's amazing. And it sounds like you've overcome any sort of barriers or challenges that might have kept you from perhaps in the past, getting as fit as you like. Have either of you experienced any sort of accessibility challenges or barriers or obstacles to getting as fit as you'd like in terms of, you know, walking, running, biking? How's that been for you both with your lived experience? Of blindness or low vision. What sort of that experience being like? Sam, I'll start with you.
S3: So I found it interesting that the higher you go up as far as qualification, as far as an athlete goes, for example, the easier it does become for you because you have a lot of stuff thrown at you. It's the casual fitness person or the person just getting started out that has problems getting access to gyms and things like that. When I got to a certain stage as an athlete, I could actually pick and choose training groups to be involved with and get discounts at gymnasiums and stuff like that. So for me that no, there hasn't been a lot of problems, but that because there was a particular life that I was leading at the time, if I decide to get back into it now, who knows? But as I said, I'm an old man. I don't want to do things like that anymore.
S2: Oh, well, let's see. What about you? Yeah.
S4: So I actually experienced quite a number of challenges. I was about four years ago. I was pretty overweight, about 20 kilos heavier than I am now, and I wanted to get into hiking and nobody wanted to hike with me. You know, I was volunteering and working with a lot of blindness organisations here in Adelaide, and there weren't too many people that were willing to take the risk to take a blind person hiking. Fortunately, I was able to meet up with another volunteer at Beyond Blindness. He was my hiking partner at the time, and he agreed to take me three times a week on these massive hikes, 20 to 25 days, and I used to be completely wrecked. But before then, yeah, actually going to a gym and engaging with the class and training was quite difficult for me to find people that were reliable or that were willing to take the risk to, to take me to do those sort of activities. Now, of course, I'm in para cycling. I compete. So, you know, I have a regular pilot both on the road and track. I have a seeing eye dog who is fantastic, and I have lots of people that are willing to walk or hike with me if need be. So yeah, whilst it's I've been able to overcome those challenges, I think I'm one of the lucky ones. There are a lot of people that meet a lot of barriers and then, you know, because of that, it's more it's easier to just give up.
S3: I think one of the things that, uh, something that me and Lucy have in common is our confidence. We are extremely confident people. So if there's a door thrown our way, we'll push the thing open again. And a lot of blind and vision impaired people don't have a lot of confidence. So if somebody says no, you can't do that, they go, oh, okay, I can't do it now. I'll walk off and find something else to do. So if anyone listening out there wants to get fitter or whatever, be confident, say, hey, I want to go and into this gym, I want to go hiking, I want to experience this and you should find a way of doing it. Now this with this wonderful NDIS, then you should be able to find at least a worker that will help you out anyway.
S4: And that's the thing I just wanted to add to. The benefits of physical fitness and mobility far outweigh the the few rejections you might get. Or you know, the the discomfort that you might experience trying to engage with that, or even just trying to get fit. At first, the benefits far outweigh any of the cons.
S2: And, you know, with, um, with the hiking, there's that added element of, you know, having the uneven ground and different surfaces and different terrains. Lizzie, how did you go with that? And, you know, navigating that sort of thing when you're hiking and if you're comfortable sharing the nature of your vision condition and how that impacted on your hiking, tell us a little bit about that, if that's okay with you. Yeah, yeah.
S4: So I have September optic dysplasia, which basically means that the optic nerve that connects to my eyes to my brain is not fully developed. It's sort of like a frayed television. Cable is how I like to explain it. So that means that for all intents and purposes, I'm totally blind. Luckily for me, the hiking partner that I had for a number of years was, um, Polish and an X mountain tour guide slash mountain rescue. Uh, so he was quite inventive and out of the box when it came to his thinking. So he actually rigged up a system whereby I was connected to him via a length of climbing rope and a tent tube, and I was connected to his backpack. So I was directly behind him, and he could direct me just by steering himself. And I also had Nordic poles to hike with. So I had my balance, and he was pretty good at warning me of obstacles. So that's sort of how I did that. Unfortunately, he passed away a couple of years ago, so I obviously I don't hike with him anymore, but I still enjoy hiking. So now I go with Lacey, my seeing eye dog, and I have a support worker, and we tend to pick the trails that are a bit more safer, things like Anstey Hill. Where there's lots of fire roads and just gravel tracks and not so many rocky surfaces to trip up on.
S3: I think that's a good trick, really, is that, yes, we've got a good excuse. If we want to do things a bit easier, then start with the easier things. So start with the easier trails. That's what I yeah. When I go skiing I go I stayed on the the learning slope there because I wasn't confident to do anything further.
S4: Unfortunately I didn't get that luxury. Sam, this guy, Mark was my hiking partner. It was a bit of a he liked to really push my boundaries and limits. And I remember the first hike we went on. We were climbing down rocks like big boulders and climbing up these really steep banks and crossing streams and all sorts. So wow, I never got to start out easy, but as a result, I can now enjoy the easier trails. Yes.
S2: Do that.
S3: Do anything.
S4: Yeah, that's certainly that's it.
S2: Yeah. That was probably the approach he was taking. And you know, it's wonderful to have those sort of people that really boost your confidence and your self-belief and give you the opportunity to surprise yourself and be like, oh my God, I can't believe I just did that. I'm Sam Culley and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio, Associated Stations of Reading Radio and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed the first half of my conversation with Sam, Richard and Lizzie Eastham. They're chatting to me all about 100 K your way and their challenge and how it's gone so far. If you're interested in hearing from Sam and Lizzie again, or you've missed any part of our conversation today, Talking vision is, of course, available on the Vision Australia Radio website, RVA radio.org. That's RVA radio.org, where you can find all past episodes of Talking Vision, including this one. But if podcasts are more your thing or you're a Vision Australia Library member, Talking Vision is also available on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. And now back to the second half of my conversation with Sam and Lizzie. I'm back now with Sam, Richard and Lizzie Eastham, co-hosts of Studio One on Vision Australia Radio in Adelaide, having a chat with me today about their hundred K Your Way challenge and how they're progressing so far. Now let's have a little bit of a chat about your favorite spots so far, where you've gone and exercised and got in your way towards 100 K, or in your case, Lizzie smashed it already in the first week. That's unbelievable. But Sam will come to you. What's been your sort of location of choice so far or series of locations?
S3: Most of it has actually just been going to and from work. I got a choice of two ways of getting to work. One is to sit on a bus for an hour, and the other is to, uh, sit on a train for half an hour and then walk for half an hour. So I've usually gone for that option. So really nothing as much has changed. It's a case of just going to and from work. It keeps me relatively fit. But no. The other location, of course, is if anyone has watched has looked on Facebook. Um, we did a few publicity shots of me running around the car park. And yes, if we talk about barriers, the barrier for me was it's been a very long time since I've done sprints, so I was aching like nothing.
S2: Else.
S3: After that.
S2: Oh no, I'm good.
S4: I remember seeing you on the Thursday too, and you were like, oh, I can barely walk. So I feel old.
S2: I am old.
S5: Oh yeah. One thing.
S2: And Lizzie, what's been your, um, your biking spots of choice? Where have you like to cycle around?
S4: Well, unfortunately for me, most of my training during the week is done on an indoor trainer. So, uh, in my training room is my prime location. But I was fortunate enough to get out on Saturday. We had some really glorious weather here in Adelaide, and we rode to a place called Waterfall Gully, which is a lovely little hiking slash lunching spot in the Adelaide Hills, and we just sort of rode around there for a while, and the smell of the plants and the feel of the breeze and the sun and and seeing all the other hikers and cyclists out was just absolutely amazing. And it just reminds me of how lucky I am to be mobile, to be able to ride or hike wherever I like. Hey, I'm a poet. There you go. I love it and be able to experience this, you know, this prime sort of area.
S2: Okay, now let's see. We've already established you've broken your 100 K barrier, but how many KS have you done specifically so far?
S4: 174. Wow. I'm okay tonight. I've got another training session and I think I'll be getting about 35 K done, so that will probably put me at about 210. Wow.
S2: Okay Sam how many have you done so far? It sounds like both of us have a bit of catching up to do.
S3: Yeah, if I calculate it properly. So as I said on average since Monday. So yeah, it's a fair bit to go. Let's put it away a fair bit to go. Come on.
S4: Slacker.
S5: Let's go. Oh I'm the same again.
S2: Yeah I've only I've only done 20. I really need to step my game up. But um, it's still plenty of time to go. A lot of wonderful walking spots. Like, I've, um. I took a few photos the other day. I walked to the local lake, about half hour walk one way from my house, and that's, um, two thirds of it's mostly through parkland. And there's an absolutely beautiful, big natural, like, natural steps down. And but you can take a ramp, um, which I actually do. It's much more accessible than trying to judge where the steps are. And with no depth perception. That's much, much safer to just go down the little gravel ramp. But, um. Yeah. Beautiful. Like. Beautiful trays. And, um, so that's certainly a great sort of 5 or 6 k round trip. Now, I believe those walking photos there of the lake that I was talking about, those have gone up on the social media 400 k your way in the past couple of days. But um, Sam, speaking of socials and, you know, pages for people to head to and donate to hundred K your way and your specific campaigns, what's the best way for people to do that?
S3: If you go to the Vision Australia Radio website via radio.org, there is a link to the uh 100 K fundraising uh page. And if you find you'll find us both on the Adelaide teams page there, so you can see how amazing my co-worker here is going. Or you can see me just plodding along. So if you want to support the winning team, then feel free to do that. And we I will not think anything less of you, but if you want to support the poor old man who is just plodding along, then feel free to support me.
S4: Sam, if I wasn't doing the hand required support, you are all right. I'll do the 100 K for you if I could. No.
S3: Yeah, that's.
S5: That's just a that's exactly what.
S3: I want to hear. Thank you very much.
S5: Yeah. You're welcome.
S4: Anytime.
S2: Uh, that's RVA radio.org. And head to the hundred K Your Way page, which is right up on the front page front and center. You can't miss it and go in there and support the Adelaide team. Or you can of course support the Melbourne team and go check us out. We're just as good, but we'll see how things go. Um, we'll get some healthy competition. We've already gone head to head with the Perth team with Kate and Co, so that's been an interesting one. But yeah, if people are interested in perhaps following, you know, your socials or stuff like that, where could they possibly follow to you know say a bit a few more action shots and bits and pieces.
S3: So we have well I've been posting a little bit on Facebook. So VA radio. Yeah. So the VA Radio Network page on Facebook, uh, you can see how someone like me does actually try to run I suppose. Uh, otherwise, yes. If these same, uh, pages will actually give you progress reports and things like that. I mean, Lizzy, have you been.
S5: Showing any.
S3: Action shots or fantastic.
S5: Things on upload, anything? Oh, yes.
S4: I can't.
S5: See someone's got someone's got.
S3: A new computer and hasn't worked out how to use it yet.
S4: So although I'm saying that I do have the most epic video from Friday night at the Village Room, so. Well, if I can get that uploaded. Yes, that was pretty impressive.
S2: Now we shall.
S3: See what we shall see. So, uh, but otherwise you may hear about our exploits in future on studio one, but we'll probably wait until the end of April to do that. Or as we're sort of halfway through right now.
S2: Well, that sounds incredibly exciting for our Studio One listeners out there to look forward to. So tune in in late April to hear a little bit more from Sam and Lizzy about how they've gone over this month of April in their hundred K Your Way challenge. I've been speaking today with the host of Studio One, Sam Richard and Lizzie Eastham, who have been wonderful enough today to join me to chat all about how they're going as they make their way towards 100 K over the month of April, or in Liz's case, well over. So it's been an absolute pleasure to catch up with you both and hear all about it. Thanks so much for your time.
S5: Thank you for having us.
S2: And now here's Frances Kelland with a reader recommended.
S6: This week's reader recommended is Bitter Wash Road by Gary Disher. When Hirsch heads up Bitter Wash Road to investigate gunfire, he finds himself cut off without backup. A pair of thrill killers has been targeting isolated farmhouses on lonely back roads, but Hersh's first thought is that backup is nearby and about to put a bullet in him. That's because Hirsch is a whistleblower, formerly a promising metropolitan officer, now demoted and exiled to a one cop station in South Australia's wheat belt called a dog by his brother. Officers with threats and pistol cartridges in the mailbox. But the shots on Bitter Wash Road don't tally with Hirsch's assumptions. The truth turns out to be a lot more mundane, and the events that unfold subsequently a hell of a lot more sinister. Let's hear a sample of Better Wash Road by Gary Disher. It's narrated by Ivan Neville.
S7: On a Monday morning in September, three weeks into the job, the new copper Tibetan took a call from his sergeant. Shots fired on Bitter Wash Road. Know it vaguely, Sarge. Hirsh said vaguely. You've been sitting on your ass for three weeks, or you've been poking around like I asked. I'm poking around, Sarge. You can cover a lot of ground in that time. Sarge, I told you, didn't I? No dropkicks. Loud and clear, Sarge. No dropkicks on my watch, Sergeant Kropp said. And no smart asses. He switched gears, telling Hersh that a woman motorist had called it in. No name mentioned tourist on her way to look at the wildflowers. Heard shots when she pulled over to photograph the ten hut crop. Paused. You're with me. The ten hut. Hirsch didn't have a clue. Sarge. So get your ass out there. Let me know what you find, Sarge. This is farming country, the sergeant said, in case Hirsch hadn't worked it out yet. The Shake Shack is likely to take pot shots at rabbits, but you never know.
S6: That was Bitter Wash Road by Gary Disher. If you would like to listen to that book or read it in Braille, you can always call the library on one 300 654 (656) 613-0065 4656. Or you can email them at library at Vision Australia. Org that's library at Vision Australia. Org.
S2: And now to finish off this week with a bit of news and information and vision 2020. Australia are thrilled to announce that the speaker for their 2024 Barry Jones Vision Oration is summer and Winter Paralympic medallist Jess Gallagher. The annual oration recognises an outstanding Australian who has worked tirelessly to eliminate preventable blindness and vision loss, or played an important role in ensuring the full participation in society of people who are blind or have low vision. Jess was 17 when she was diagnosed with a rare degenerative eye disease, and although her diagnosis impacted her sporting dreams as a netball, just pursued multiple sporting ambitions to represent her country and become the first Australian athlete to medal at a Summer and Winter games and successfully represented Australia in three sports in 2023. RMIT University awarded Jess an honorary doctorate in Social Sciences, and she has been a past board director and advocate for vision 2020 Australia, as well as a Vision Australia Ambassador. Her oration will deliver a personal insight of the journey of resilience and reinvention for an athlete with low vision, hosted by a vision 2020 Australia chair, The Honourable Christopher Pyne. The oration will be held virtually and live from 1:30 p.m. Australian Eastern Standard Time on April the 23rd, with a Q&A session following the Barry Jones Vision oration is proudly presented by the Fred Hollows Foundation, one of Australia's leading international development organisations, which recently launched a new five year plan to tackle the growing eHealth crisis. You can register to attend the 2024 Barry Jones Vision Oration by heading to the vision 2020 Australia website and following the registration link to the event on the front page. That website is vision 2020 australia.org.eu. That's vision 2020 australia.org.edu. And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember we love hearing from you. So please get in touch anytime on our email at Talking Vision. At Vision australia.org. That's talking vision or one word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Cully saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Virgin Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on one 308 4746. That's one 384 746 or by visiting Vision australia.org that's Vision Australia call.