S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Colley.
S2: Hello everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour, we talk matters of blindness and low vision. Welcome to the program. We've got a little bit of a different show in store for you this week as we present a few interviews from the carnival day, broadcast live from the opening day of Midsummer Festival at the Alexandra Gardens in Melbourne. Midsummer is the preeminent festival in Victoria for the Lgbtqia+ community, and today we've got three interviews from the guests on the program over the three hours. Starting off with Blind Ambassador Karen Negroni followed up with Nilsson Govan from Vita Veritas, who's here to tell us all about some audio. Describe tell us of the festival. And last but certainly not least, we're joined by Lina mona from women with disabilities Victoria, who are committed to creating a safer and more inclusive state for women with disabilities. I hope you'll enjoy this special Midsummer Festival edition of Talking Vision. And now his man test with Karen test kicked off the interview with Karen by asking him about his low vision journey.
S3: Absolutely. So I live with Usher syndrome. That's a combination of retinitis pigmentosa that causes blindness and partial hearing loss as well. So you're probably going to see me walking around with my cane and my hearing aids in. It's a degenerative condition. So I was diagnosed when I was about 13. And now at 37, I have less than 3% of sight remaining. And in a few years that'll be gone too. But you live with what you have, and I, you know, I can't can't even think of being happier other than having a disability.
S4: It's an interesting, you know, it's because I was born blind and so I never had any sight. And so I never really knew, you know, what it was like to have sights that must have been quite an adjustment for you.
S3: You know, that's a really interesting question. Someone actually asked me once, would you rather be born blind or born sighted and lose your sight? And I didn't know how to answer that question to be honest with you, because I was confused. So I looked it up and then I started watching stuff on YouTube, and there was this, uh, talk show where they had a fully blind person that was born blind, and someone who has retinitis pigmentosa that has lost their sight over time. And the person that was born blind said, I would rather be born blind, because if I lost my sight over time, I'd be really pissed off. And then the person who was born fully sighted and started to lose their sight said they would rather be born sighted and lose their sight slowly over time because at least they got to see something. So I would yeah, like to throw that back onto you. What do you think about that?
S4: Well, I think I agree with the with the born blind. In some ways it would have been lovely to see some of the wonderful things in, you know, being able to see things like sunsets and colors and, you know, rather than just imagine them. But also it would have made my life so much difficult, so much more difficult if I had lost my sight later. So, yeah, I think I think it sounds like we're, you know, we're happy with we're happy with how life turned out. Yeah. Which is a good thing. Yes.
S3: It's a great thing.
S5: Absolutely.
S2: It's tricky for me because I'm right in the middle. I've always, um, had, um, that problem where I've just. I have had vision conditions my whole life but been, you know, regarded as quote unquote, not blind enough, but, um, I think being able to see artworks and scenery and landscapes and things, at least having those memories that have stuck with you for the rest of your life, just in some ways that can cheer you up. In some ways, you just think back to a good time when you had that sort of experience. But, um, it is definitely a very tricky question because, um, as I said, with some with low vision, at some it's right in the middle. But, um, Karen will come back to you. You've mentioned previously the need to come out twice. So could you explain what that's about?
S3: Absolutely. So, well, first things first, I meant mid-summer. So the obvious first one is being gay. Uh, I think growing up, um, back then, there was a certain perception that if you're gay, you're supposed to be flamboyant or, you know, you've got to be loud and out there. And for me, I didn't fit that mold to me. I just looked at myself as a normal guy who happens to be gay. So when I met people, you know, it was like, oh, well, you don't look gay or you don't act gay. And I was like, what does that even mean? And then the second closet being, because my eyes look normal, and then people see me with a cane and when my cane is away, when I used to manage without my cane and I would tell them that I'm blind, they wouldn't believe me. So I would have to sort of convince them and explain the whole blindness is a spectrum thing to them, and it almost felt like coming out of a closet, because I hid my blindness for a really long time, because I felt a sense of shame. I'm not going to like growing up, you know, as a gay guy in a world where there's so much emphasis on the way you look now, you add to that having a disability that requires me having to use a cane. So I felt a sense of shame back then. Obviously, I don't feel like that anymore. But yeah, I did feel like I had to come out of the blind closet because I would have to hide it, uh, because I didn't want to be judged. And then I would tell people and then explain the whole thing.
S2: Would you say there needs to be a bit more awareness of blindness and low vision still?
S3: Absolutely. This is why I'm on a mission to raise awareness. And I started my work as an advocate about two years ago, and that started from me having to give up my marketing career, a career that depended extremely on my side because I was a graphic designer, a filmmaker, and when I reached the stage where I could not use a laptop. Now, don't get me wrong, blind people can use laptops, but blind people cannot use a graphic design software like Photoshop or film editing software. That's quite complex. So I had to quote unquote, retire from that career. And then I felt like I sort of hit rock bottom. That was not a really good time for me mental health wise, because I really felt lost. And that was, I guess, my calling when it came to being an advocate. And I was so sick and tired of people telling me that I don't look blind, and that came with judgment. It wasn't, you know, uh, some people said, you don't look blind, as if it's a compliment. I'm like, what does that even mean? And I said, would you tell someone from China, you don't look Chinese? Would you tell someone from America, you don't look American like, you know, what does that even mean? And that's what led me to. Raise awareness. And I guess that's why I'm sitting here today. So I'm glad it worked out in that sense, you know.
S4: Well, you know, um, one of the, the main themes for this live broadcast is really talking about the intersectionality between the queer community and the community of people with disabilities. So, I mean, as, as a gay man with a disability, I mean, what are some of the the challenges that you've been faced with?
S3: I could write a book. I mean, I don't even know where to begin. There's, you know, there is so much judgment out there. It's it's so like it's not for the faint hearted. I've said this before, you know, uh, a lot of people think people with disabilities are weak. And I'm like, dude, like, you have no idea how hard it is. Like, if you have a disability and you're out there living life, you're strong. Like, don't ever underestimate a person with a disability.
S2: And do you think every person living with blindness or low vision should be an advocate for their community, or what's your sort of perspective on that?
S3: So look, I will say this, I'm really passionate about it, but it's it takes a toll on your mental health. You know, it does.
S2: Yeah.
S3: When you're constantly talking about it, there are days where I get tired and, you know, because I don't have a big following at all like that on social media, but like I do have a bit of a following. And like, if I don't post, you know, for a couple of days, I'll get messages that you okay, you haven't posted. I look forward to your messages. And there are times where I hit, uh, I guess, um, fatigue as an advocate. And I don't think it's for everyone. You don't have to be an advocate if you want to be an advocate, be an advocate. But my only my only suggestion is be proud, you know, don't don't live in shame. Uh, you are who you are for a reason. And this is your destiny. And, you know, that sounds really philosophical, but you don't have to be an advocate, but don't live in shame. And it's also not easy to not live in shame, because I lived in shame for a long time.
S4: And you know that that message, you know, don't live in. I mean, that's just that's applicable to to everything that we are celebrating and promoting and raising awareness of today. So I mean, that's just a fantastic quote. So you moved to Melbourne last year. Is that right?
S6: Correct. Uh, February last year.
S3: So I've been here for about almost a year now.
S4: So have you felt welcomed by the Melbourne queer community or maybe a bit on the outer? What's what's been your experience with that?
S3: Absolutely. So look, back in Perth, I was really bad gay. I didn't do a lot of gay things. I didn't go to gay festivals. Didn't do, didn't do.
S5: Okay, I don't know. You know, there's.
S3: Such a thing. Trust me, I was not I was not, you know, one of those people that was out there at pride events and. No, not at all. Um, and I think partly to do with my side. And then I was approached by, um, a lovely person called Emma from Chillout Festival in Daylesford, and she invited me to attend as ambassador when I was in Albany in WA. And that sort of opened my eyes. And that's when I was first introduced to the queer community in Melbourne, and so welcoming and so lovely. And, you know, I just sort of started thinking I had this fear in my head that I'll be judged, you know, for being a person with a disability. And now look at me. I'm sitting at midsummer with you awesome people talking about life as a gay blind person, you know? So I'm so thrilled, uh, and I'm a little mad at myself for not doing this sooner, but I think everything happens for a reason at the right time.
S2: Certainly it does. And it's a it's a new year. I don't know if some new year, new year kind of New Year's resolution time, but, um, are you energized or exhausted at the thought of fighting the fight?
S3: What are you talking about? I'm always exhausted. Even sometimes I'm so exhausted from being exhausted. You know, like, it's just one of those things where I just want a day off. Absolutely. And then after the day off, you want a day off because you had a day off.
S5: Day off from.
S4: The day off.
S3: Yeah, yeah. Look, when you live with a condition where you can't see and you can't hear properly, it's quite taxing. Uh, it gets quite tiring. Um, and, you know, as an advocate, I feel like I have to be strong for other people all the time. Uh, so does, you know, there are definitely times where I feel so tired that I just need to hide in my house with the doors closed.
S6: Yes.
S4: Yeah. Of course, I sometimes feel exactly the same way, if I'm honest.
S6: So.
S4: Yeah, I'm sure that's wonderfully validating for a lot of our listeners.
S6: Absolutely.
S3: It's okay to be antisocial. It's okay to not want to see anyone.
S4: Yes. And can you tell us why you decided to become an ambassador at this year's mid-summer?
S3: Well, I, you know, well, firstly, they asked me and I'm thrilled. And I guess the reason I'm thrilled is because a young Karen would have never believed that a disabled Karen would be an advocate at such a big gay festival, you know? So when the opportunity came along, it was just like it wasn't even a, um, I was like, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, because I want to be that person that I didn't have when I was a kid.
S2: Of course. Absolutely.
S4: Well, I'm sure young, I'm sure young Karen would be extremely proud. Um. Of what? Of what older Karen has achieved.
S3: Yes. Minus the weight gain. But, yeah.
S4: We've all done that.
S5: Oh. So. Yeah.
S2: Uh, especially after, um, the festive season. All the wonderful meals and bits and pieces and, you know, letting your hair down and having having a bit of fun.
S4: And that's what Carnival is about, really. It is it is celebrating the diversity in in our community is what Virgin Australia is also about. And, you know, people of all shapes and sizes, genders, sexualities, you know, abilities, you know that that's what today is all about. And that's why we're so happy to be celebrating the just how glorious that is 100%.
S2: And you've talked about young Karen, which is, ironically, the old Karen, but we'll work that out later. But how can we follow 2024? Karen, you know, how can we support him?
S3: Well, when I find that, I'll let you know, uh, because I can barely keep up with what's going on. But what? I guess I'm on a mission now to do things that I didn't think I would do. Perfect example, being sitting here today at a midsummer festival as a proud gay man with a disability. So my my plan is to keep going. I am blessed to have, uh, two jobs, one being at Guide Dogs Australia, which is where I get to share my lived experience to raise awareness, and then my own job, which is life as an advocate, which is where I get to create content with my own twist, because I'm not one of those serious advocates, and I often get in trouble on Instagram because my sense of humor is a little strange. I guess. You know, I would post things and then people either love it or they're like, dude, what are you what are you doing? That makes no sense, you know? So I guess 2024 Karen, you can follow me on Instagram if you like. It's just my first name, last name with an N in the middle. So it's Karen and Granny, and, uh, what I do is I share my life as someone with retinitis pigmentosa usher syndrome. I use my graphic design skills to simulate what it is that someone like me does see, and I found that that's really helping people that have family members that have retinitis pigmentosa, because now they can actually see what they love once. See if that makes sense.
S2: It does. No. It's been an absolute pleasure to chat with you today, Karen. I've been speaking today with Karen Nagorny, a blind ambassador from the Midsummer Festival, who joined us today to chat all about his wonderful advocacy work. Karen, it's been a pleasure to chat with you. Um, yeah. Thank you so much for your time.
S5: I don't want to.
S3: Leave, though.
S5: I'm having so much fun. I know I miss you. Oh, we could talk forever.
S2: But unfortunately, we've got to go. I'm Sam Cole, and you're listening to this special Midsummer Festival edition of Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio, associated stations of RPM and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that interview there with Karen Negroni. If you missed any part of that interview with Karen or you'd love to listen to it again. Talking vision is, of course, available on the Vision Australia Radio website at RVA radio.org. That's RVA radio.org. You can also find the program on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. And now his man Tess with Neil Gunn. Tess began the interview with Nil Gun by asking her about when the organization was founded and what prompted them to get it off the ground.
S7: It was formed in 2020, but it is off the back of a 25 year career in disability arts and working as an inclusive arts practitioner, collaborating with lots of diverse artists and makers, including people and performers and artists who are blind and have low vision. And come 2020. Yes, during the pandemic. What a time to form a company. It's a not for profit bringing along the amazing staff that had been working with over time and improving inclusion of accessible events in festivals across performing and visual arts. So. Oh wow. So once we were trained by the then access Coordinator, Janine Sidhu and Katrina Gab, we were absolutely passionate about bringing accessible arts to the independent, small, medium and big arts sector.
S2: And now tell us a little bit more about the carnival day guided tours.
S7: The carnival day guided tours, uh, tailored. So there's no formal tour as such, but that the tours can happen at any time upon request, by prior arrangement, by ringing the access hotline, and also finding us at the information tent. We want to tailor it to the. Because there's so much to experience at this carnival that it can be tailored to people's interests.
S2: That's fantastic news, because there's so many different things for people to discover. So really exciting to hear that, um, people can have their own unique experience.
S4: It certainly is very, very tailored to, you know, the individual. It's fantastic. And I mean, is this the first time that, you know, these tours have been made available at midsummer.
S7: In the carnival context? Um, no, it's been we've been available and on site every year for the past, I think three years. And prior to that there was a design tool by description Victoria back then that also attracted a large volume of people in a group based experience. Um, we we are still sort of raising community awareness, as you know, about the accessibility and inclusion at festivals like this. And so I think, um, after this year, conversation could be had around, you know, really designing a more formalized tours whilst keeping the individual sort of tailored tours going as well.
S5: Okay.
S2: And, um, no. Go on. How do you think Midsummer's going in their efforts to be more accessible?
S7: I feel that midsummer have a lot of integrity in their intentions and their commitments, and they demonstrate that in really tangible ways. And the ways that they express that is by involving the community, the blind and low vision community from weather advisory groups or consultants, um, engaging different artists, um, and increasing programming of accessible events and that consultation and being led by the community as well, in terms of their interests into what would be really suitable, um, to offer the community in terms of their, you know, training. And it's an organisational approach and there is a really big saturation. It's not one area of the organisation that is sort of upskilling and improving their capacity, their capabilities and their confidence. But all tiers, from top to bottom, um, right down to our volunteers. And, you know, there's resources and that attitude, which is the most important one, which is, you know, continuous improvement like that feedback loop is so important in terms of how access evolves in the arts broadly as well as across Midsummer Festival.
S4: So there's an exciting event happening on the 1st of February at the Art centre at the Overflow Theatre. Tell us about that.
S7: So the production is called overflow, which is taking place at the Arts Centre Melbourne, um, specifically at the Fairfax Theatre on the 1st of February. And overflow premiered in London in 2020, and it's followed by an Australian season in 2022. And it's coming back again this year. Critically acclaimed, it gives voice to trans identities and. Written by Travis Benza and directed by Dino Demetriades. And in terms of Travis's quote, they say club toilets have taught me more about sisterhood than any book. Oh well. And so the stage is set as a toilet, as a cubicle where Rosie is inside, and there's all these different encounters and monologues and stories that are told in that space.
S5: Oh my God.
S2: Yeah, that sounds incredible. Unmissable. And just finally nail gun. There's a couple more exciting events going on the Victoria's Pride Travelling Touch Tour, and also the Nocturnal Hot and Bothered Tactile Tour. So just to wrap up, tell us a bit about them.
S7: Well, I want to talk about Victoria's Pride Travelling Touch Tour because it follows on from the success of the inaugural one that we ran last year. It was booked out like overnight like hotcakes. And so we're running it again this time, you know, again with that community feedback, a little bit longer with more interaction with different artists. But it's essentially curated to encompass art, music, roving performances, tactile and participatory activities, going into different bars and businesses and really getting to be immersed in that community, that street party, the atmosphere in a really guided and supportive and fun and dynamic way. So that takes place on Sunday, the 11th of February, 1:00 to 5:00, and you can get more information and download the flyer from the midsummer Victoria's Pride website. And we are asking people to book in because we know it can get booked out. And by contacting me for your booking, you can also request a guide as well.
S2: Certainly get in touch with Nail gun. Get in touch with Veritas. There's an absolute plethora of amazing tours to get involved with, so thank you very much, Neil Gunn, for creating better accessibility of the Carnival space. It's just been an absolute pleasure to catch up with you today to hear all about it.
S7: Thank you so much.
S2: And now here's my end of it with Lena. I began by asking Lena to give us a brief history of women with disabilities. Victoria.
S4: Our organization started in.
S8: 1995, where a small group of women in the state came together, realizing that a lot of their needs weren't being advocated for, and they decided to do something and got incorporated. And we've been powering through ever since. We've got a staff base of about 50 members of staff now who work all across the state in community inclusion teams, workforce development teams that we work to make other workforces more accessible and inclusive for women with disabilities, as well as running leadership programs across the state, both in town and in regions far and wide across Victoria.
S9: Great. And can you tell us about some of your organization's recent wins?
S8: For sure. One that comes to mind, especially relevant to midsummer is a event that our youth experts ran. So that's a group of young women and non-binary people with disabilities who are aged between 18 and 25. They put on an event at the Pride Center last year called Prior to Conversations, and that celebrated the intersectionality of being queer and having disability. And it was a beautiful event and everybody just really enjoyed the day. And we've got a recording of it that people can look at online or listen to, and we've got promotional materials that were created for the event at our store here at the carnival.
S2: Okay. Now, Lena, we're gonna talk about yourself for a little bit. So just if you'll indulge us, what is your specific role at women with Disabilities Victoria for people out there?
S8: Yeah, thanks. So I manage Gender-Based Violence Research and Evaluation at Women with Disabilities Victoria. So I cover three different programs that are about prevention of gender based violence, as well as creating research links around those topics for the organization. So our programs provide training for workers who work across the state that are looking to prevent gender based violence in a systematic way, as well as creating more accessible, inclusive workforces. So making it possible so that women with disabilities can take part in those organizations as well. And to do that, we create resources, factsheets about preventing violence, about the specific forms of Gender-Based violence that women with disabilities experience, and what we can do to challenge ableism and sexism together.
S9: Awesome. And what does it mean to women living with disability to have a resource like that you've got?
S8: Well, as a woman with disabilities myself, I know it's empowering. Like, we can see our voices included in the resources that we make, and they are more accessible. They found in a wide variety of formats, and it means that it was seeing these resources around and seeing more people take them on and take on our training means that the world can be a little bit safer and more inclusive, and that we will be listened to and believed when we report violence or challenge what we experience when people are being ableist or are perpetrating violence against us.
S2: And Lena, what is your main motivation for being at Carnival today? You've spoken a bit about it there, but what sort of drives you to, you know, get involved with these sort of things?
S8: I guess my main motivation would be that we're here in the community. Women with disabilities are part of every community of Victoria, and we want to celebrate who we are loud, proud, queer, wild and we want to access all parts of queer spaces. I went to an event last year hosted by inclusive. Rainbow voices is a new organization specifically for queer people with disabilities and I. It really resonated to me how there's so many organizations or disability spaces that aren't super accessible for people who are also queer, and there's so many spaces in the queer community that aren't accessible for people with disabilities. And so just by taking up space and showing that we exist, and that we are creating resources that fit into that intersection, and that we are challenging the ableism that we experience together, and also learning more about who is in every community. That's really important to us. Yeah, yeah.
S9: And do you feel that queer community living with disability get the support they need from the wider community? I mean, you've touched on it there that you're providing resources for the community to be able to support. Do you feel there's still a lot of work to do in that space?
S8: That's absolutely more that our organization can do, that other organizations can do. And to me, the first thing that we can do for our community is by showing up, listening and taking on feedback about what can we do better. Yeah. So absolutely, there's more. And we're listening.
S9: Yeah. Awesome.
S2: And Lena, just finally, um, some exciting things to look forward to in 2024, I'm sure from a women with disabilities Victoria standpoint. So what is coming up in 2024 for people to look forward to.
S8: Are so many things, um, some that would probably be of more interest to me than others. But the first couple of things that I can think of, we have the having. Conference. Members of the Community Inclusion team are taking part in that. I don't have the date off the top of my head, so I'm sorry. You'll have you'll have to Google it on your website. Um, and there's also a really wonderful, uh, International Women's Day event on March 6th, and our guest speaker is about to be announced, I believe. So grab your pen and paper and write that one down in your calendar. It's not to be missed.
S2: Lena, thank you so much. I've been speaking today with Lena molnar, the Prevention of Gender based Violence project coordinator at women with disabilities, Victoria. Lena, thank you so much for your time today. It was a pleasure to catch up with you and hear all about your work.
S8: Absolutely. My pleasure. Thanks for having us.
S2: And that's all the time we have for today on this special Mid-Summer Festival edition of Talking Vision. Talking vision is a production of Vision Australia Radio. Thanks to all involved with helping make the show happen and as always, we love your feedback and comments, so do feel free to get in touch on Talking Vision at Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all. One word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Culley saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Virgin Australia by phoning us anytime during business hours on one 308 40746. That's one 384 746 or by visiting Vision australia.org that's Vision Australia call.