S1: From Vision Australia. This is talking vision. And now here's your host, Sam Coley.
S2: Hello everyone. It's great to be here with you. And for the next half hour we talk matters of blindness and low vision.
S3: I was at a point where I'd been looking for a job for probably about two years, and I was getting a bit fed up and I just had another rejection. So this sounded very interesting and it just sounded really great to upskill. And yeah, so just decided to do it and got accepted. Luckilly. And yeah, it's been great.
S2: Welcome to the program. This week I speak with three participants in the Career Visions program, a Queensland based program through Vision Australia to build job readiness and help participants scale themselves up for a place in the workforce. This week you'll hear from Sarah, Serena and Michael alongside the program coordinator, Harmony downs, who will join us later in the interview. That's coming up very soon, so make sure to stay tuned. After that conversation, we are hearing from Deb Deshaies. She's celebrated six months as CEO of Blind Citizens Australia and to celebrate the milestone, she joined me to give us an overview of the past six months at BCA. I hope you'll enjoy this week's episode of Talking Vision. I began my interview with the Career Visions participants by asking them to give an overview of the Career Visions program from their point of view. I started off by asking Sara and then moved on to Serena and finally Michael.
S3: Yeah, so from my point of view, it's split up into three clear parts. The first part is we go to TAFE to get a certificate that will have at the end of the program. Then there's the part of computer training. And then towards the end of the week we do career development sessions. So we have workshops on things like how to advocate for yourself in the workplace. But then we also have people like business owners, small business owners, or had a lady who worked for a not for profit organisation and they come in and talk to us about their different areas of expertise, all in an effort to get us career ready.
S2: And Serena, what's your understanding of the program?
S4: What I've seen so far is that we do a fair bit of basic computer knowledge, because obviously in the workforce today, you can't avoid it. Followed up, as we learn those computer techniques, we get more and more into those things. And then we have various workshops giving us the skills that we need for the workplace, giving us what we don't already have or maybe haven't experienced recently, and making sure that we're ready for those situations, and also showing us pathways that we might actually be able to take.
S2: And lastly, Michael, we'll come to you. What's your overview?
S5: The holistic sort of outcome that I think they're trying to achieve is that we all get employment at the end of the day, but also but the program involves, as lady said, you know, the TAFE and the PC skills and the presentations, but also amongst that we're moving. We're not in one place all the time. So we move from room to room. So we got to get used to, you know, breaking down the computer and setting it up in a new room. And also, we've been involved in a real live project with Vision Australia is having an open day in June, and we've all been assigned roles there as well. So apart from the practical skills we're learning, we're also being thrown into a real life situation as well. So it's just a the whole program is designed to get us back into, um, you know, into a working situation.
S2: With the three of you. Are you comfortable chatting about your vision conditions? Would you be okay going into detail about that? Sarah, we'll come to you.
S3: I'm sorry. I have hypoplasia of the optic nerve as well as nystagmus. And I was born with both conditions. So basically the hypoplasia makes me very short sighted. The optic nerve is too thin, so I have to look very closely at things. And I've only just started using a cane to get around areas that I don't know well. But I still have a bit of vision so can get around by myself in areas that I know quite well.
S2: I've also got a bit of nystagmus myself, so I can totally get where you're coming from with that. And you know, the impact that can have on the focus and the balance and all that thing. So yeah, totally, totally get where you're coming from there. So, Serena, how about you?
S4: Yep. So I lost my vision at a very young age. I don't actually remember having vision. So probably a good thing in a way that was due to a tumour on the brain, which damaged the optic nerve, to the point where I have only a little bit of light perception left in my right eye, but everything else is completely gone as a result, though, I grew up using mobility techniques, cane predominantly, but other aides as they got integrated. Over the years, people have told me that my mobility is quite good. I have been using it since I think I was in Darwin and using buses on my own at the age of eight I think. So, yeah, a lot. Lots of experience with it. And uh, my field is technology, so I like to play around with the new mobility tech that comes out. So it just gives you an idea of what it can be if you start early.
S2: Great to hear you got some positive feedback over the years. That's always wonderful to boost your confidence a little bit and, you know, give you that feeling that you're definitely on the right track and you're doing something right. So that's always a wonderful feeling. Now Michael will, um, come to you.
S5: Yeah. So I, uh, have retinitis pigmentosa. I got diagnosed around about 2005 or so, but I think I had it a long time before that. But I was working in sport, and I finished up at the end of 2019 because my work involved, inside and outside work and outside work got a bit difficult with people trying to fend footys away from me and that sort of thing. But I have a cane and I have a torch, the retinitis pigmentosa, basically. I've got ten degrees of vision and I'm not blind as well. So I have a cane and a torch to help me out when I get into situations where I'm not familiar. And yeah, that's about where I am at the moment.
S2: I'm keen to hear about how you found out about career visions and what sort of motivated you to get involved. You have spoken about this a little bit already, the three of you, but I'm interested to go into a bit more detail. So, Sarah, I'll come back to you.
S3: Yeah. So I saw an email saying that. Was closing soon. Obviously don't read my emails properly because I missed all the other ones about it, and I was at a point where I'd been looking for a job for probably about two years, and I was getting a bit fed up and I just had another rejection. So this sounded very interesting, and then spoke to Harmony and came in for an interview with some others in the employment services team, and it just sounded really great to upskill and further the computer skills and everything that I already had. Yeah, so just decided to do it and got accepted. Luckilly and yeah, it's been great.
S2: And Serena, we'll come to you. Now, I know you've talked about your technology background a bit. Did that have much of a bearing on your choice to get involved in the Career Visions program to further that or what sort of, um, your motivation?
S4: Yeah. So I haven't had any employment for a long time. Many, many years. I've only ever done voluntary work briefly, and I attempted to do a TAFE course a year or two ago, and that didn't go so well. So I kind of got a little bit burnt from that. But then through Job club here at Vision Australia and through a friend that I have that is in Job Club, I found out about this program and I also saw it on the website when I was browsing the website, and I decided there and then, yep, I'm going to go for this and give it a go. And uh, again, I came in for an interview and got accepted. I was kind of surprised. On the technology front, yes, I do use technology quite a lot in my life. Fortunately for me, I have used computers for a long time. That's given me a lot of experience with them, but what I lacked was experience using things like office. So if I was going to get a job, that would be my major downfall, and I needed to find a way to learn what I needed to know for that stuff. And this seemed to be one of the better ways to do that, because just going through TAFE really didn't do things for me too well. They didn't know how to help me. Whereas Vision Australia does have that process happening.
S2: Some unfortunate, all too common to hear that sort of thing happening with various courses that they just don't really understand, um, what the needs are for people who are blind or have low vision. And that's an ongoing conversation. We can certainly have another time. That's, uh, that's hours long one there. So certainly, certainly can, um, have a long chat about that. But Michael, I'm going to come to you. We've spoken already a little bit about your desire to get back into the workforce after being retired for a few years now, but tell us a little bit about some other motivations behind getting involved in career visions on top of that.
S5: Oh yeah. Well, I've been a client of Vision Australia for about since I retired, and, um, I was encouraged by Robert Terry to apply for this, but I was always I was keen to get into some sort of work, some sort of part time work, because I live alone and I miss I just miss the whole camaraderie and the going into work and having that social interaction. And, um, I know people, you know, dream about being retired, but I think retirement is sort of overrated unless you got really lots of things to do. So the biggest motivation was to get him back to the social interaction and that camaraderie of a workplace.
S2: Yeah, exactly. It does give a lot of purpose to people as well, and it's always handy to have a bit of extra money floating around. That's always a fantastic little side effect from that. But what I'm interested to do now is hear about what you've all enjoyed the most about being in touch with career visions and taking part in the program. So, Sarah, what I'll do is I'll come back to you.
S3: I've enjoyed a few things, but probably the standout for me has been computer classes with Lee Jones here at Vision Australia. Just learning the keyboard commands and everything because as I said, like I had a bit of computer knowledge with Microsoft programs, but even just these few weeks of learning has helped me to go a lot quicker in putting spreadsheets together and documents just with the keyboard commands. So that's been so invaluable to me. And then, yeah, just getting to meet a bunch of awesome people has been really cool.
S2: And Sarina, how about you? What's been the most enjoyable part?
S4: Probably for me, ironically, as strange as it might sound, not so much the computer side of things, but just seeing how internally business is run. Because that's not something I've got any experience with, uh, in any real sense. So seeing some of this and learning how this works, that's going to be invaluable, because again, it's like I've volunteered for Coast Guard. You don't really have any of this in that environment. So this is kind of a bit of a culture shock in a way. The computer side of things. Yeah, that's easy. It's the other stuff that I'm liking finding out about.
S2: Yeah. It's always fantastic to come up with new skills and learn something new. Michael, has that been something you've enjoyed as well? What sort have been the best part for you?
S5: Well, just enjoy meeting the other participants in the program because we've all. Got their own little own separate stories we've all got here, you know, different ways. But we're all here trying to, um, you know, end with a positive outcome. But also coming into Vision Australia, it's a positive. The, you know, the vibe of the place. It's a positive place to come to. Everyone seems to be, um, you know, working towards a, um, a good result for everyone. So it's a pleasure coming in here every day.
S2: And joining me finally is the coordinator of the Career Visions program. One of the people making it all happen. Harmony down. So harmony, welcome to the show.
S6: Thanks.
S3: It's great to be.
S6: Here, Sam.
S2: So quickly, harmony, just give us a little bit of a final bit of info about the program, how people can get involved and how it's all happened.
S6: Sure. So Career Visions is a funded program through the Skilling Queenslanders for work initiative, which is a grant application process that we do to the Queensland Government, and it's administered by the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training. So when we're looking to put in these applications, we have between an 18 to 24 week funded traineeship program. So this one is running for 22 weeks and has a focus on work skills development. The first 12 weeks they're working with us at Vision Australia and they do their accredited training at TAFE and their certificate one in work skills, followed by a range of computer based training and professional development activities for the first 12 weeks. In this process, we identify their strengths and their career aspirations, and they head off to a work placement for ten weeks where they can further flex all their awesome superpowers that they gain throughout the 22 weeks that they have with us. This is an annual funded grant program, and so we were really lucky this year to include the Open Day event, which is held on the 8th of June, and it's being run with the children's and young people's team and has a lot of investment from the local community, as well as local and state federal government. The other aspects of the Career Visions program is that it leverages a lot of our staff with lived experience of low vision and blindness, so we know what it takes, and we know what it's like to feel like you're trying to carve out where you want to go. So it's a big investment by Vision Australia as well as the government. And it's a great partnership and it's a really great program that each year we run, if we're successful and hopefully next year in 2025, we'll have the Eoi's out again in February next year. So yeah, that's it.
S2: It's been great to chat with you all. I've been speaking today with Sarah, Serena and Michael, as well as Harmony downs, all involved in the Career Visions program at Vision Australia. On Sam Corley and you're listening to Talking Vision on Vision Australia Radio, Associated Stations of Reading Radio and the Community Radio Network. I hope you enjoyed that conversation there with Sarah, Serena and Michael alongside Harmony. If you missed any part of that conversation or you'd love to hear it again. Talking vision is available on the Vision Australia Radio website VA radio.org. That's VA radio.org. You can also find the program on the podcast app of your choice or through the Vision Australia library. Coming up next, I speak with Chief Executive Officer of Blind Citizens Australia, Deb Deshaies, who recently celebrated six months in the role as CEO. I began my interview with Deb by asking her to have a look back over the past six months and give us her thoughts and feelings on what's no doubt been quite a whirlwind that's rolled around super quick.
S7: Well, Sam, I think you just said it yourself that it has been a whirlwind and it has gone extremely fast. In fact, when I got to the six month mark, I thought, gosh, it actually feels like I've been here a couple of years. So definitely very busy. But I've thoroughly enjoyed returning to BCA and settling into a different seat, and was previously general Manager of Projects and Engagement for those listeners who weren't aware, and then left the organisation for probably about three months to apply for this role and then have returned. But look, yeah, probably extremely busy is the only way that I could describe it, particularly because I entered in the midst of an audit and some really critical grant applications were due for consideration and submission, and then that all led into our annual general meeting. So I think from mid October to pretty much Christmas Eve, it was just rapid trying to ensure that the team was supported throughout those processes, the board as well, and preparation for the AGM, you know, and that all ran parallel to just the day to day operational needs. And of course, most importantly, and something that I value very much is forming those relationships with our members, with our team of staff and directors, you know, partner organisations such as Vision Australia and our disability representative organisations in the community. You know, we have many connections and it's for me it was about just trying to understand who's who, you know, where's the roadmap as such around the other disability organisations. You know, the key people in those organisations that we've been collaborating with, people in the community. What are some other options for us to broaden the work and educate others on the whole purpose of BCA and the work that we do? So extremely busy. Yes, I think I saw a few times.
S2: Yeah, absolutely. And Deb, you mentioned those connections there, which have, you know, no doubt stood you in very good stead, including, of course, your time with Vision Australia and other blindness and low vision organisations alongside Blind Citizens Australia, where of course you find yourself. Now, what sort of advantage has that given you to have those sort of experiences in other parts of the blindness and low vision sector, as you do head into this role as CEO?
S7: Um, I think just an appreciation for the differences in the organisation, you know, service delivery versus advocacy, appreciation for all the work that's done, obviously, having an existing relationship with Ron Horton. So it's been really great to connect him with Ron and his team again and Bill jolly, as well as now the president, because we've got the memorandum of understanding with Vision Australia. So I've certainly found that a really smooth transition and great just to already have that understanding, as I say, of service delivery of a lot of the people in the organisation not having to then I suppose go back and go, oh, what do Vision Australia do? What do Guide Dogs do? What do some of the other disability organisations do? Great to connect in with Dan Stubbs again to in his role I think pretty sure that was in my first week. Actually went to a roundtable there led by Dan, which was fantastic. So I think, you know, I feel very fortunate to have had those previous experiences and knowledge of what each organisation and leadership styles, and we're all striving for the same thing. Sam. It's just we provide our purpose at BCA and service delivery. It's just obviously done in different ways, but as much as we can collaborate as possible, then that's definitely what I subscribe to and look forward to that. Continue.
S2: And no doubt, in those past six months there have been quite a few challenges and things to overcome. But what's that been like for blind citizens? Australia going into a world post Covid, changes to the NDIS and other such things like that? What have sort of been the biggest things to deal with I guess over the past six months?
S7: I mean, for Covid obviously pretty I think we've all the whole world's got pretty familiar, haven't we? Yeah for sure. Accepting of the way in which our lives are now. And in fact, sometimes, you know, when you, you know, you walk around the streets, you think, did we actually ever have Covid? Because it's just like we never did. It's so busy, you know, rare. Will you perhaps be offered a mask or or notice someone wearing a mask? But for BCA, we were already working remotely, which was under Emma's leadership. So we didn't need to really adapt ourselves in terms of where's everyone working? Do we have offices? That type of scenario that a lot of other organisations went through? So we were a little bit more prepared, which was great, but particularly changed in terms of how our staff operate getting out and about now and then. There's probably still more relating to my role. I probably am away from the home desk on average two days a week, and that's fantastic because it's going out and connecting with, as you mentioned, the Ndia, building those relationships and understanding more about what their intentions are moving forward for disability representative organisations. I think also, well, one of our biggest challenges and one thing that certainly kept me very busy, and one of the things that I'm very much looking forward to is knowing the outcome of our grant applications. It's made now and a significant amount of our team's contracts finishing 30th of June of this year. We've been doing a lot of work to submit some applications, so that's kept us very busy in terms of applying for some critical grants to keep our advocacy work going, to keep some of our projects going, such as our own area for employment, and that as soon as we know, Sam will hopefully continue to keep us busy. If we are successful, I'm going to be positive and see it as you know, very likely. But it's just that not knowing. So that's something that we're looking forward to hearing more about.
S2: And staying on that positive note, Deb, I think it's also worth looking back over some highlights, some of the really exciting things that have taken place over the past six months. So what have you really been able to look back and enjoy and think? You know, that was really great. We were part of such and such or, you know, this was a great sort of instance where something really fantastic happened within or outside of the organisation.
S7: I think one of the main things is building our relationships outside the four walls of BCA so that we are more heard, known, seen out in the community and with other disability organisations internally. We've contracted a fundraising manager to work on a range of fundraising activities to increase our support for BCA and the Geoffrey Blyth Foundation, we've got our upcoming national volunteer celebrations. It's just the second year that we're actually running that, and I was involved in it last year, so I'm really pleased to see that we're doing that again. I just feel like there's so many things. Sam, you know, from an advocacy point of view, there's been so many areas and writing policies in so many areas that we just continue to do. And when we do our annual report, I know you're only asking me six months, but when we do do the year and review, it's so full, it's like, oh, I think over 40 pages of all the different things that BCA has been able to contribute to collaborate on influence, you know, change the way in which our members receive a service or supports. So I can't really pick one highlight. I do also want to be.
S2: Impossible to pick just one. Absolutely, yeah.
S7: But just want to acknowledge the board as well. And I came back to BCA, spent a lot of time with the owner would. So I feel very fortunate that we've been able to actually even be in person a few times. And one of those occasions was at the Mastercard event that BCA was selected to receive the profits from the ticket sales, but it was great to work on that alongside Fiona, and just to spend more time with her, having her perspective on the organisation, you know, and her her leadership as our president as well. But the rest of the board have been fantastic. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them at a much deeper level. Um, we welcomed Robin and Neil as two newer directors. Unfortunately, we farewelled Pru and Joanne. I mean, change happens all the time, but you know, it was great even just to have that short period of time working alongside them as well.
S2: Looking forward to the rest of the year. Deb. And the uncertainty notwithstanding, there is quite a lot of things, no doubt. To look forward to for the rest of 2024. So what are some really exciting things coming up for BCA over the rest of the year that you and the team, and all the clients and BCA members out there can look forward to.
S7: Well, Sam, as I said earlier, it does hinge on the outcome of our grant applications. I do want to acknowledge the team, though, right now are very much doing their absolute best to continue to provide the peer connect programs to all of our members, you know, continuing to advocate in all the necessary, you know, necessary areas, whether they be individual or for systemic related matters. We hope to continue all of that work. Can't really say how much or what that will look like, but we certainly will hope and have our fingers crossed that we'll be able to continue to extend on some of our peer connect programs, hopefully continue our An Eye to the future employment program. We also have the scholarships. We'll continue to do those, which is really fantastic to be able to acknowledge those who want to go out and do some study, and to be able to assist them to purchase a much needed items that they need for their studies. But yeah, I'm just being honest and transparent. Sam, it's really tricky to say what we'll look like from 1st of July onwards. We are just doing what we can now with what we have and are very hopeful for the future.
S2: That's very good to have that, um, positive outlook. But we do appreciate your honesty and being realistic about things that are going on in the space and the nature of not for profit and all those sort of things. So absolutely, a lot of people out there would perfectly understand that for sure. A lot of people very familiar with that. But we do keep our fingers crossed as well and look forward to hearing about some hopefully positive news in the not too distant future. So thank you very much for your time today. I've been speaking today with Deb Deshaies, chief executive Officer of Blind Citizens Australia, just past the six month mark as CEO of BCA, and it's been an absolute pleasure to chat with you today. Deb, thank you very much for your time.
S7: Oh no, thank you, Sam. Appreciate the invitation and just engaging and I'm sure we'll speak again shortly hopefully.
S8: Yeah, absolutely. One of our grants for sure. I can give.
S7: You a little bit more around what do we look like moving forward.
S2: Excellent. Thank you so much. And that's all the time we have for today. You've been listening to Talking Vision. Talking vision is a Vision Australia radio production. Thanks to all involved with putting the show together every week. And remember, we love hearing from you. So please get in touch any time on our email at Talking Vision. At Vision australia.org. That's talking vision all one word at Vision australia.org. But until next week it's Sam Colly saying bye for now.
S1: You can contact Vision Australia by phoning us any time during business hours on one 308 4746. That's one (300) 847-4106 or by visiting Vision Australia. Org that's Vision australia.org.