Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast. Monday morning is to Christian O'Connell's show. So we're into the last week of the Games in Paris, and by an extraordinary chance, I've got a new neighbor five doors down. A couple of months ago, Steve Hooker moved in. Now. Steve Hooker won gold in the pond vault in two thousand and eight at the Games in two thousand and eight in Beijing. So Steve is actually part of the Channel nine coverage. You can hear him this week commentating all the track events. And Steve is live in Paris right now. Steve Hooker, are you.
Speaker 2: There, Christian? How are you mad? We're good?
Speaker 1: So take us through first of all, before we get into the athletes and what's going on this week, describe to us and what the games are like in Paris.
Speaker 2: Pretty amazing here. Actually, Paris itself is quiet. It's safe and quiet. It's safe and quiet as I ever seen that. So if you're a tourist in Paris, you can get straight up to the apple cower. He gets streightded to love. It's pretty amazing. But I would just like the track and field tonight and tonight was tonight we run Stilburn Bronze and the women tire jump and Noah Lyles one one hundred meters. It was pretty unforgettable evening to start the front.
Speaker 1: And so what can we get excited about over the next couple of days because your old event is coming up, isn't it? In about twenty four hours time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, Curtis Marshall takes on the greatest of all time Mondo to planters and bear in mind is the greatest of all time at twenty four years age, so there's a long time ago to elaborate on that to him. But yeah, Curtis goes up against Mondo tomorrow night. Curtis won a world championship medal last year, so he's a big chance to back that up. So we'll all be rooting to him.
Speaker 1: And what do you think the plant is going to get? I was seeing some of it yesterday. He's just so much better than everybody else.
Speaker 2: He's firstly faster. He runs over ten meters a second, so that's pretty quick.
Speaker 1: He does over ten meters a second.
Speaker 2: He runs ten meters a second holding a five meter twenty piece of fiberglass and had to get that into a plant box that's thirty centimeters wide. So it's pretty phenomenal what he does. But he also does all of that super smooth. He's been pop volting since he was five years old old. His dad was a five meter eighty pole volter. His mum was an elite hat athlete from Sweden, so that he's coaching team as well. There's a complete natural and he's a genetic freak and I love watching it, even though it makes me feel quite bad about myself.
Speaker 1: In shade on your what did you do six oh six?
Speaker 2: Or is that you've got your goal amazingly? Six six? You know, nearly thirty centimeters la twenty centimeters longer than what he's down firth. Okay, now, what do you mean he.
Speaker 1: Was pole vaulting from the age of five. What's the what's he doing jumping over the bed or a mattress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, he had a pole volt pit in his backyard. So his older brother's pole vaulted, and he grew up in Louisiana and had a yeah, pole volt pit in the backyard, so just had a pull in his hands his whole life.
Speaker 1: That is crazy. I want to see this level of dedication with you coaching your own kids. Now, see because Steve lives down the road for me, I want to see your kids pole vaulting in the backyard.
Speaker 2: Well we shout of we should have have a little bit. Yeah, we had a little pole vault in our front yard, not a fool's pit like Mondo, but a few little mats, so they've they've had to play with it. My two oldest boys, four year old actually has done a bit broomstick povot, so he's a year ahead of Mondo. So afulle how that goes?
Speaker 1: What a strange sight to stand in Christian's backyard and see Steve Hooker's children volding three fences down. And so what else are you looking forward to this week? Because obviously Australia have just had an amazing week in the pool the beer Max thing. There have been so many golden moments, size amazing run over the weekend. What are the other highlights that people can still get excited about because I think we've got greedy Now we've been spoiled last week with just how many golds for Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a few things for that. Look, I don't know if it'll be gold, but I feel like we've got some podiums coming up, certainly some goals, and I'm covering a field event on the Channel nine, so you to tune in and watch those, Curtis, Tomorrow is a real chance. Tomorrow morning, Nina Kennedy and the polevot women's side kicks off and she's a gold medal favorite. And then we've got the women's javeling and we've got three metal chances, and probably right now mckenzi little is the gold medal favorite in women's javelin as well, and Matt Denny. Matt Denny kicks off his campaign tomorrow morning in the discuss as well, and he's our metal favorite as well. So we've got plenty coming up in the athletics, in the field.
Speaker 1: Brillimp Steve, Before we go, just tell me this what is it? Have you had the what the hell is that you stood in the middle of the radio interview with Melbourne? Please gend noisiest bits of Paris to speak to us. Steve.
Speaker 2: I've got one thing for you before I go. It's been tomorrow. Can you can you put my beIN out for me? Mate?
Speaker 1: Yes? Of course, Yeah, Tuesday nights. It's the recycling one, Steve, So I'll drag your bins out the sign. I won't disrupt the pole vaulting set up. You've got levers.
Speaker 2: We up the front yard, leave the poplot seting up alone. And yeah, the recycling great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll get the whip snipper as well, because your hedges are looking a bit rough as well, so I'll do all of that as well. Steve would catch up with you later on this week. Please move off the schonz of all right, cheer Steve. Bye.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast