Speaker 1: Come on in.
Speaker 2: Hello everyone, Happy Thursday.
Speaker 3: Hello everybody.
Speaker 4: I just read the cutest article and this is such a feel good for your little Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Did you know this?
Speaker 4: So people who receive frequent hugs get sick less often and they recover more easily than those who do not get hugged.
Speaker 3: Brah We can all hug each other. And my partner lives on the other side of the world.
Speaker 4: You don't just have to hug your boyfriend. You could hug anyone. Hug your dog, hug your kids.
Speaker 2: Hugy GP when you're going to get checked, hug anyone?
Speaker 3: Are you allowed to hug your GP?
Speaker 2: I've hugged my GP.
Speaker 3: What do you How did they respond?
Speaker 5: He was a prostate check. I can't remember, but he definitely touched me consentually.
Speaker 2: I don't quite remember.
Speaker 4: Someone touching her insides is not quite agree.
Speaker 5: Okay, want to quickly test it. You hug Britt Laura and just see if it instantly gives you.
Speaker 3: I'm a hugger, though I love a hut.
Speaker 2: We all are we hugged today on microphone?
Speaker 4: Sure some people out there who aren't huggers, and I think they don't know what they're missing.
Speaker 2: Out on Yeah, people hate the physical touch.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a real hugger.
Speaker 2: There we go. We'll go out and hug someone today as per the pickup.
Speaker 4: That's your orders everyone, Yeah, go hug someone and it's good for your help.
Speaker 5: You'll feel better. Hey, listen, changing things up for a bit as we start the show, we're starting on a more somber note. As you would have heard by now, the devastating news came through this morning that our former one direction Styly and Pain has passed away today at age thirty one. So this on behalf of the pickup is our tribute to him.
Speaker 4: Ask Uncut, So Ask Uncut is something we do every Thursday. We also do it on Life on Cut on our podcast, and it's where you guys call up. We can deep, darker burning questions and we do our best to answer them. And look, today's one might be a little bit controversial.
Speaker 5: Yes, this is going to be a hit, a nerve for those who love to celebrate the holidays. Kathy joins us live today. Hi Kathy, what's going on in your life?
Speaker 6: Hi? Look, I've got this really big problem. So if I had my way, I've had my Christmas decorations up tomorrow, but my husband doesn't want them up until Christmas Eve. And I'm just not too sure how to fix this dilemma, and more importantly, how I can win Christmas.
Speaker 2: Eve Christmas dilemma.
Speaker 6: Honey, I know it's not right.
Speaker 3: This is way too soon.
Speaker 1: I'm on your husband's side in that sense, but also Christmas Eve is way too late.
Speaker 3: That's like neither of these work for me. I disagree. I think go for it.
Speaker 4: It's not even Halloween more, I know, but you know what, it's Halloween very soon, and you know that it's the second, the second that Halloween is ended, all of like your David Jones, your coals, you came up, everyone's gonna have the Christmas decorations ready to go.
Speaker 2: They already are. It's happening, little Marshmallow Santas.
Speaker 3: That's happening for consumerism. They want it, they want your money.
Speaker 1: I don't think you should be putting Christmas decorations up till maybe, like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Four weeks before, five weeks before.
Speaker 5: First of December is when my family has traditionally done it, and we always take it down on New Year's Day.
Speaker 2: It's a tradition. It's a month.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but who says Kathy? I'm with you. You live your Christmas life. If you are that jolly and that joyful and you want to get some decorations up, go for it.
Speaker 7: What is he? What is he?
Speaker 3: What do you put up?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: How how hard do you go?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Inside outside? I just really go for it. And I've got a special Christmas T shirt I'd really like to bring out now, but maybe.
Speaker 2: I think that's too money.
Speaker 3: Now they've got Christmas jump as it came out, now ya.
Speaker 2: They're highly flammable those things.
Speaker 3: That's all right, Well, I mean stay away from it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be a bit of a psychic. Y.
Speaker 5: I'm predicting you're one of those people that instead of taking the Christmas tree down, you just cover it in a white sheet and leave it up all year round.
Speaker 3: The whole next year.
Speaker 6: I've got cats and dogs. They bring it down for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, because that's insane behavior when people do that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think find the happy medium.
Speaker 1: You've got to keep your husband happy as well, So let's just find a happy medium.
Speaker 2: Wait, how long you've you been together? Is just a new marriage.
Speaker 6: We've been together twenty years?
Speaker 2: So do you have this fight every business.
Speaker 6: No, I win most years.
Speaker 4: It is the date getting progressively earlier, Like every year you kind of creepy forward and for it's gonna be March, and you're like, time to put him back up.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 6: I think that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, she's too early. Happy medium be first of December for the end.
Speaker 3: Of November, so it's a month before. I think middle of November.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's okay, he said, Now you've been vetoed.
Speaker 3: It's too early.
Speaker 2: Do you make him do it? Is that the problem? Kathy? Like? Do you force him to get up the step ladder and nail in the festjournal? Then maybe hire a hobby or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I reckon you can. What is it when you pay a fiver or something? What's the air tasker? Air tasking that just.
Speaker 3: Get it done?
Speaker 2: Hey, do you mind coming to my house wearing the shirt? Is compulsory?
Speaker 5: I don't think that's gonna work, Kathy.
Speaker 6: I think that's going down another road. But I'm still feeling like I'm hearing the earliest good.
Speaker 4: No, that's what she's You lean into what you want to do, and I'm I think it's joyful and go for it.
Speaker 1: Problems Merry Christmas, Cathy.
Speaker 2: It's basically Christmas.
Speaker 3: Pretty much is down. It's the downhill run now of the year.
Speaker 4: It already feels like I've heard Mariah carry a couple of times. People have started talking about her again, and that means it's coming.
Speaker 2: She's defrosting.
Speaker 5: If you've got a Christmas related question now until the end of the year, we're only doing Christmas related to ask gun.
Speaker 3: Cuts, Welcome back to Christmas, especially the figure.
Speaker 5: That's not true. But you can dms at the pickup. We'll get you on the show that held Kathy Fie Kathy.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm going to flip the vibe here a little bit. Guys. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: After the break, we're going to be speaking to someone that I think has probably one of the most interesting and unusual jobs in Australia. I didn't even know this existed. He's the coffin whisperer. His job is to go to people's deathbeds, get their last confessions or their instructions for their funeral, and then carry them out after they've passed away.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'm a sick o honor joining his necks on the pickup I'm a bit.
Speaker 1: Of a sicko Mitch and Laura. That's not a surprise to anyone, But I cannot tell you how excited I am for this chat that we're about to have. We're about to speak to Bill Edgar, who I think has one of the most interesting, creepy, intriguing, disturbing jobs in Australia. So he's a businessman, he's a counselor, he's an author, he's a private detective sure, but the best part is he's a coffin confessor. This is what he calls himself. Bill's job is to go to people's deathbeds. So people as they know they don't have much time left, or maybe they do whatever it is they He goes to their deathbed and he gets their dying wish and their dying confession. So maybe it's something that this dying person wants to happen at their own funeral. Maybe it's just something they want to confess. And Bill has to go and stand up at the funeral or the grave site and like and say the confession, Hey, I know Johnny's passed away, he's employed me to blah blah blah blah. And then they get all these secrets out. It's actually insane. I find it so fascinating. He charges ten thousand dollars to do this, and I have so many questions around, like the how, the why, the what the deepest secrets? So I have got Bill on the phone to have a chat toy, Hi Bill, Welcome to the pickup.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Hi Bill, Bill. How does one end up.
Speaker 1: Confessing people's dying last wish?
Speaker 7: Oh? You know what, It started as a joke. I just told a dying man that I crash his funeral for him, and he took me up on the offer.
Speaker 4: When you said you're going to crash his funeral, like, why were you crashing his funeral?
Speaker 3: What was the like?
Speaker 4: What was the sentiment behind it that he needed his funeral crashed?
Speaker 7: Oh? I got to meet this gentleman probably eight ten weeks before his death, and we were talking about death, the afterlife and everything in between, and I suggested he do a eulogy and he said that he'd been through enough funerals where the eulogy isn't played out of disrespect or whatever it is. And I just said, yeah, it just as a joke, you know what. Graham I can always crash your funeral for you, mate. And a couple of weeks later, I get a text and he says, Bill, You're going to crash my funeral for me, and I'm going to pay you ten grand to do it.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a what a fee he put on that for you?
Speaker 5: And what was what was it that you crashed? Would you mind telling us, like, what happened? What did you have to say?
Speaker 7: Well, his best mate, while performing the eulogy with his crocodile tears to two to three minutes into that eulogy, I was to stand up, excuse myself and say to the crowd, excuse me. My name's phil Epia. S down, shove up or buger off. The man in the coffin's got something to say. And this is what it is, you know, best made of mine. You've been trying to screw my wife while I'm on my deathbed. And if my brother, his wife and their daughter at my funeral, they can bugger off too. I haven't seen him in thirty years. Their vultures get lost.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what happened when you said this?
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, you could hear a pin drop. But at the same time, those that truly loved the man. They knew and understood. And the best mate ob looks, he just ran out. He left really quickly. The other three that were in attendance, they stood up and they left as well, and a few other people left. I think they thought they were going to get targeted. But it was his fill and it is his funeral, so why not he got to have you stay.
Speaker 4: I wann't know what happened with the wife. I mean, was the wife was she still there? Was she did she get up and leave? Or was she was the one who was telling him that this was happening.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she was very grateful for what happened. This this so called best mate is no longer in her life or you know, anywhere around them. She was very upset about the best mate trying to do what he was trying to do. Oh wow. And obviously she didn't want to put too much on her dying husband. But at the same time, he could see everything from his bedroom on, you know. And it was one of those cases that when you're lying on your deathbed and you, yeah, you got no energy, you sleep most of the time, you've got no confidentation, you've got nothing, and then you needed help.
Speaker 2: Edgar, is there a line for you? Do you think to yourself, I want this to be ethical? Is there any ethical element to it? Or no? Will you do absolutely anything once that, once you've been.
Speaker 7: Paid, I know no, it's definitely ethics and morals and my integrity. I mean, look, at the end of the day, I am an investigator. I'd like to investigate everybody's claims. I'm very careful. I sit with my clients and we go through everything. I will not act for a third party. In other words, if you wanted me to crash your mother's or father's here, I can't do that. I can only crash on behalf of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, hold on, this is very, very exciting.
Speaker 5: Why don't we go to a break you let's get some story, some deathbed confession stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I need more.
Speaker 2: You're happy to stick around and tell us some after this, Bill, absolutely all right, stay there.
Speaker 5: We're back after this with the Coffin Confessor on the pickup Britt, Laura and Mitch joined by Bill Edgar. He's the Coffin Confessor. He's a counsel as an author, he's a businessman, a detective, and he's channeling his work now into going to the deathbed of people that are terminally ill, getting a secret that they want off their chest, and then revealing it to their friends and family.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 1: Hey, Bill, is there ever any requests that someone has asked you to do that you've had to put your foot down and say I can't do that, that's too far.
Speaker 7: It was, but I ended up doing it anyway because I am the coffee professor and it was a message. It was for me to actually be a lady suicide note and that was confronting. But at the same time, there's nothing that was going to stop this lady doing what she did.
Speaker 5: Wow, that can be a real tense job. I can only imagine. Tell us one of the craziest confessions that you've ever had to do. Like if you're at a pub having a couple of beers and your mates, go, tell us us the best story.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 7: I think I got to say the best story, or the most confronting story for me, was going to the viewing of the body and pin pricking the body because the person was petrified of being fremated.
Speaker 4: Alight, Oh no, they wanted you to all in check and make sure they were dead.
Speaker 3: That's awful.
Speaker 7: Well, that's right. We all have a phobia, we all have a fear, and we've all got a skeleton in the closet. So it's just one of those jobs that had to be done. So now I'm placing items in coffins, mobile phone, Soto's jewelry, whatever it is. Plus, I'm delivering gifts from the afterlife, which is a beautiful thing to do. I rock up at somebody's house. It could be six seven, eight months after somebody's died, on an anniversary of birthday, and I'm delivering a.
Speaker 3: Gift that's really special.
Speaker 4: Do you find that these people because you're spending time with people in the most vulnerable last moments? Do many people who you've spoken to have regrets or are there things that they wish they'd done differently about their life? And that's the type of thing that you're enacting or taking.
Speaker 7: Out, you know, I believe we all have that moment, you know, especially I noticed it more on the people's saft beds that they wish they had more time and time to one thing we can't buy, we can't there's nothing we can do. Time. It just comes in the name. So it's really one of those things that people wish they had time. But I got to say, everybody that I've met who's now no longer alive, they've all said the same thing as in, they're not the fear of death is nothing. They don't see your death. What they see you is leaving their loved ones behind. That's the biggest fear. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, if you had to say the juiciest secret that you've had to pass on, what is it?
Speaker 7: Oh, the juiciest would have to be the lady who passed away and left me a message to tell her son that his sister was his mother grandmother.
Speaker 2: Oh my my, oh wow, and ten thousand dollars you could have that experience.
Speaker 3: To me, that to me sounds horrible.
Speaker 4: Imagine that being how you find out, like you don't need to know that after the fact, is they're going to die and take that wish with them. I just I wouldn't want to know. I think that's so how did you respond to it?
Speaker 3: She's like, I'm Grandma's sister.
Speaker 7: I think it's one of those things that you know, people can't seem to live or let go of things, and so they hire me to do that for them. At the same time, I've asked many a person that why meet, you know, why not do it yourself, or why not get a friend, and they just have no trust to or or they just can't do it when it's issues of infidelity, and I find that either revenge people doing it as a revenge thing, or they're coming clean and going you know what. So recently I crashed a fear or where the lady said that she knew her husband had been sleeping around and that she decided to do the same, and he had no idea. But when he did find out, he broke down terribly. And I said, well, you know what, man, she found out you were doing it, and she let it go, but you kept doing it. So now she's done it.
Speaker 5: You're more so the confrontation expert, right than it is the Coffin Confessor. I mean people hate confrontation. I guess that is why people are so drawn to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, almost a huge thing. Yeah, for sure. At the end of the day, keep telling people I'm just a messenger. It's not me, it's your luve.
Speaker 5: Look, if you want more from Bill Edgar, you can get his book The Coffin Confessor. More stories like that inside Hey, thanks for coming on the show, Bill, very exciting stuff interesting.
Speaker 7: Thanks Bill so much and your listeners good man.
Speaker 2: And if you wanted services, DM Bill.
Speaker 4: I just think, I mean, going like I think, when you're going to die, having such vengeance or wanting to, like, you know, enact revenge on someone, it just seems really sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's their dying wish. If it makes them happy, I think them.
Speaker 2: All right, we're done, let's get out of here. We need to end the show.