Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kernye Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to another one of our.
Speaker 4: Very special money diaries where we get to talk with one of our beautiful She's on the Money community members all about their money story. Let's jump in because this week I got a message and it went like this, Hi V, I'm a single mum, a teacher. I'm renting my house out on Airbnb whilst I've moved back in with my parents and I have made an extra forty one thousand dollars in twelve months from being on Airbnb money diarist.
Speaker 1: Forty one grands, basically someone's whole salary. What the heck?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's ver pretty amazing. And I actually got the idea from one of your podcasts.
Speaker 4: I'm going to hit up Airbnb for a sponsorship. I'm going to be like, hi, mbab, it's me. I'm basically funding your entire business at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it was Georgia or Jess that just said that one of their brothers was doing it on the weekend. Yeah, and I just going, oh, that's actually a great idea. I'll give that a go and see.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, So how did that go with you? I guess having to move back in with your parents and stuff like.
Speaker 5: It wasn't ideal. We built our house over like during COVID, and we were only in it for six months before we separated, which was unfortunate, but it was a bit hectic. I had decided to do the airbnb literally just before I moved back home with mum and dad, and I had my first booking ready to go, and he hadn't moved his stuff out just yet, so it was literally awkward. He moved out one day and then the booking was the very next day, and it was like mayhem. It was like an episode of the Block where they're getting all their life stuff Freddy. Yeah, so my parents even helped me with that. His mum helped me as well.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, a door.
Speaker 4: All right, I want to know before we get further into it, because I've got so many questions. I feel like you've just given us so many like tipbits and like things that I'm like, are the spoilers?
Speaker 1: I think they are? But money dos?
Speaker 4: What grade would you give your money habits if I asked you to grade them from A through to F.
Speaker 5: I was talking with my partner about this last night, and I think it being minus.
Speaker 4: All right, well let's learn more about it. My favorite question in the entire universe, money diarist. Can you tell me a little bit more about your money story?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So, growing up, it's very middle class family. My parents were divorced when I was nine months old, but my stepdad was in the picture from like two and we never wanted for anything, so we you know, did music lessons, did dance class, but money wasn't really talked about at all. So when I was eighteen. My mum recommended I got a credit card because then you'd get a good credit score, even though that's not what we do in a tire as I was learned.
Speaker 1: That's fine. She was doing the best she could with the resources and knowledge she had.
Speaker 5: Yep, financial literacy. Interesting. Yeah, but I was lucky that I didn't actually splurge too much. I paid it off every month. I had like a four grand loan towards my car, and yeah, I paid it off consistently. So my money story, yes, that's pretty much it. I think I've always been a really good saver. So I ended up saving like one hundred grand towards my first house.
Speaker 1: No you didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've built twice. I was with my first boyfriend for like nine years, so we built out in the Racklyn area anyway, like we'd separated, and I got a settlement out of that, and then I ended up paying my hegsteat off with it because I wanted to be debt free. Reconnected with my high school sweetheart ten years later, we got back together and got married, had our little munchkin.
Speaker 1: No you didn't, that's so sweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know you have a bam beanie together, we too, but then it's ended.
Speaker 1: So what that was a roller coaster.
Speaker 5: It was crazy, right, He ended up cheating and leaving me for a twenty three year old, so it was like I.
Speaker 1: Got to work out in the long term really nicely for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I mean I'd realive it every day just to have her.
Speaker 4: So yeah, no, one hundred percent, Like, yeah, straight in the bin with that, man, I love it.
Speaker 1: Or tell me a bit more. You mentioned you.
Speaker 4: Got a credit card at eighteen and a four thousand dollar loan for a car, and I feel like these are things that in people's money stories can send you one of two ways, and it sounds like it sent you down the route of just being a really good saver. And you were like, I have these financial responsibilities, I'm going to pay them off, and you know, I've got a credit card and going to pay that off monthly. Whereas some people go down that route, get a credit card, end up in mass amounts of debt. They might get a car loan of four grand and then four grand turns into eight grand, and like things compound, Where did you learn to save? Because being able to save on a teacher's salary one hundred thousand dollars is body impressive, but I also really want to learn from that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I read The Barefoot Investor a while back, but I think I've just been saving before then anyway, Like I knew we're going to buy a block of land and then we'd be paying in installments when you're building, so I just wanted to have a buffer. I'd like to say I'm as good at saving right now, but it's changed a little bit with everything. Yeah, I don't actually know where I got it from, to be honest, because it wasn't spoken about. I think I just decided to do it, and I saw that he, my partner at the time, wasn't saving at all, so I made sounds wrong if I save made But I got him to contribute as well, so we were saving for it together. And even though at at one hundred grand it was probably like seventy thousand of it was mine, at least I got him to save.
Speaker 1: Yeah along the way, that's so good. I love that.
Speaker 4: Now you've just mentioned in I guess the start of your money story that you had your first partner, you were with them for nine years, and then you got with your high school sweetheart, which took me on an absolute roller coaster, had a baby. But how did you come out of both of those relationships financially stable?
Speaker 5: So with the first one, we were engaged, we hadn't lived together before, and I would not recommend that again, but I just felt like it was a bit of a controlling relationship, and I decided to end it, and we decided that he would buy me out of the house. So we kept negotiating back and forth, and yeah, I walked away from it fairly well, it was still a loss, but to walk away with seventy seven grand at the end of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's kind of clean, but also probably not taking into consideration too much else.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly. And then I've paid off the thirty grand left owing on my hex debt. I'd always been contributing, like the voluntary contribution, Yeah, the contributions along the way, so it wasn't too high. And then when I reconnected with my high school sweetheart, we ended up going to America and traveling a bit. We had separate accounts, so that was all separate, but he put his on a credit card and I didn't put.
Speaker 1: Mine on a credit card. That's okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And there were a few flags along the way. So I found out, probably about I want to say, twelve months in, that he had sixty grand worth of debt, which I feel like now I would be saying that at the very start of a relationship, like communicating upfront about finances. So we decided that I would pay our rent when we moved in together. I'd pay the rent, I'd pay the utilities, and he just worked on paying down the debt.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you know what.
Speaker 4: I think that a lot of people will go, what the hell were you doing? Money, diarist, But if you're reconnecting with somebody and you're like, I see future with this person, you obviously trusted them enough to have an actual child with them. I'm assuming that when that decision was made, it was because you were going to be life partners, not because you were going to, you know, just let this man freeload off you, right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what happened next We.
Speaker 5: Rented two separate places together, and then we ended up deciding when my daughter was three months old, that we would move back in with my parents because building and paying rent was just going to be an absolute fortune yep. Because the block of land was also quite expensive.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: And then COVID happened and the building process slowed down, so instead of being there for one year, we were there for three. It was very trying, but we both had jobs where he could leave the house. I think he probably would have ventured a lot sooner if he wasn't able to leave the house.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Fair being with the endless. Yeah, but I get on with my parents really well, and it's great having a support network takes a village. Yeah, and then we moved into our place in November twenty twenty two, and then we were in here for about six months, and Yeah, it got to like May, and she said that he wanted a divorce and there was no talking about it. I go into a marriage believing that you tried to make it work, like you might go to therapy or like you hash it out. So I was a bit taken aback by that.
Speaker 4: Obviously, did you know the whole circumstance, like as to why he was no okay? So that would have taken you even more by I guess chance you would have been like, well, what the hell, like, can't we work on this?
Speaker 1: And he in the backgrounds like, no, I have a new family.
Speaker 5: Prest too much. It was like total blindsight.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, my whole heart.
Speaker 5: Oh oh look, I'm so happy now.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah he's out, he's canceled. We don't care about this man, No, absolutely not. How did you then find out somebody else was involved?
Speaker 5: So it was fun. There are a few different things. So he actually brought her up to me because we were cohabitating still. Yeah, for I think it was like two months after Yeah, because the first reason he'd given was just that he was finding himself. He hadn't felt like himself since he was twelve. I was like, okay, that's news to me. He'd had depression, but he hadn't medicated for it, and he just started taking these tablets and said, you know what, I've started taking the tablets and now I feel nothing for you. I was like, wow, okay, well how about we go back to the doctor and.
Speaker 1: We talked to our doctor because that's not normal, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's not give up on a marriage. Yeah. And then a couple of weeks later he mentioned her and okay, that sounds really soon, and yeah, it wasn't great. He was basically going to her house on the weekends, and then because his car was broken, he was parking her car out the front of her house because she had two vehicles so he could use one of hers, and I was just like, you need to leave this house, like this is toxic. We were really good in front of our daughter, like yeah, there was no swearing, carrying on or anything, but it hurt a lot. Like every time to see her car out the front of our house, I was like, how is this happening? It was really surreal.
Speaker 1: That's wild. What a douchebag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so glad you're out of that circumstance. You deserve so much better. But it blows my mind, like the male audacity, like I've supported you, like I've gotten you out of debt, Like he's probably still in debt.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest, because I know he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go exactly, Like do you know what, He's one of the few people that deserves it. Yeah, my monkey is all right, tell me a little bit more about you, less about him. I want to know what do you do for work? How much money do you earn? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I am a Grade five teacher and I earned just under one hundred and fourteen K a year, including super.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been teaching for ten years, so yeap deserved. And I started renting out the house on Airbnb. So I've made about thirty five k on Airbnb and then the rest of the other four grand was made up from booking dot Com, which I decided to also do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go hard to go home. I love you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Tell me a bit about that.
Speaker 4: Though, because I'm interested in just understanding how airbnb works, because I feel like in the media at the moment, especially over the last few weeks, and I know you're in Victoria, but we've been talking a lot about this introduction of the seven and a half percent airbnb tax.
Speaker 1: What are your takes on that? How does that all work?
Speaker 5: It definitely makes an impact. Like already I'm paying tax for the first time this year. Normally you get tax back. That's not chance for me at all. This here and having that extra seven point five percent with it come in, it's probably not looking viable to keep going with it. To be honest, I would rather either sell the house or rent it out permanently because it is like having two jobs, Like because I clean up myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go package. So I want to ask a bit more about it. Because this Airbnb tax of seven and a half percent is being introduced in the hopes that it will free up more long term rentals from short term rentals. What does that actually look like for you? Would this mean that you can afford to rent it out to people at a reasonable amount or you know you mentioned before. I think I might have to sell it like that defeats the purpose from my perspective.
Speaker 5: I have a high mortgage. I would rather be able to save a lot more, and I know that I won't be able to meet the mortgage with just the rental income. That's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, So I think it's a bit tricky. Obviously, you can't time the market. So I will either rent it out for twelve fourteen months and then see what the market's like, maybe rented out for another year, or I'll try and list it. I haven't decided yet, but I'm going to make the final call, probably December or January.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair. Anyway, let's move on from that. I feel like that's really exciting. You've bought a house, like you still own a house, but what's your big money goal? What are you currently working towards?
Speaker 5: Big money goal at the moment is to actually get my mortgage to start with a seven, not an eight.
Speaker 1: Yep, that feels nice. That will take some pressure off.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm very close to doing that now it's sitting at eight hundred and six. But then you obviously get the mortgage interest payments and then it's like, oh and now we're back to eight ten. Yeah, but that's one of my big money goals. And then next would be investing more. I've started to, but I want to get into it a lot more than I am and do it consistently.
Speaker 1: What would that look like?
Speaker 5: So at the moment, I have some automatic payments set up, I don't have them for investing. So my treats to myself when our financial agreement was all done was two bioshares in my own name.
Speaker 1: So I did that, Koween. How did you buy those?
Speaker 5: I did it through IBKR, it's interactive brokers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I got onto them through my brother, who's obsessed with Tesla and investing and things like that.
Speaker 1: Helpful person to have in your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's good with economics and everything. So I went to him for advice on that one. And also I don't know, like the last twelve months has been a roller coaster and.
Speaker 1: Actually understandably so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, paying the lawyer fees which actually went as higher compared to other stories I've heard, yeah, recently. But getting the house in my name was a very stressful event. I was very lucky my dad actually helped me with that. So my ex and I came to an agreement. He wanted one hundred grand to get out of the property, and I obviously didn't have a fare hundred grand in my back pockets. So my dad gifted me fifty grand, which I know is total privileged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also like I'm so glad you had access to that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the other fifty grand was made up of basically he never has to pay child support ever. Again, like we looked at wages and I know, like the assessments changed constantly, but him owning his own small business, it was going to be hard to chase him up for payments regardless.
Speaker 4: I'm just being judgy because I don't like what he's done to you, Like, sorry, your money, darst.
Speaker 1: We're basically best. He's now dirty. I hate him. He's cut he's done. No, you don't deserve this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And basically I got the house put in my name a week before interest rates went up, and it was the timing was insane, like I wouldn't have been able to get across the line.
Speaker 4: No, absolutely not like it got in. But also it felt like a kick in the darts. But you also wouldn't have got it put into your name if it hadn't happened at that point in time.
Speaker 1: The world is a funny place to live.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was ents.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: All right, well let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, I actually want to ask you a few more questions about IBK and how you're investing and what the future of that looks like. Don't go anywhere, guys. All right, money diarist, we are back, and I want to talk more about investments less about your Dogyx. Although I feel like it's interesting when we have these conversations, especially because it's so fresh, like it's so part of your money conversation and your money story, and I really want to, you know, even ask more about this child support stuff you mentioned before.
Speaker 1: But let's go with investments. First.
Speaker 4: You mentioned you're investing with IBKR. What amount did you invest? What's the plan there? You mentioned you don't have anything automated, Like, at what point will you do that? Because it sounds like you're probably doing absolutely fine, but given the Airbnb tax and your tax is coming up soon and interest rates, I'm assuming like money isn't the easiest thing in the entire world right now, and it's a bit of a juggling act.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent. Yeah, and I feel like I knew that i'd be paying tax, but at the same time, I don't think I put enough away, And so at the moment, I'm actually using one of your money hacks, the ten K save up one oh adore to make sure I've got that sitting there. Four taps.
Speaker 4: I need to rebrand them so they're even fancier for your fridge as they're great.
Speaker 5: So the first thing I wanted to do was literally specifically by Tesla shares. So I have four of those, and I have four shares in AMD as well. So at the moment, it's sitting at two point five k in investments. I used to look at it every single day. Right now I don't listening to the podcast. I'm just like no, let it sit there. It's fine. It's not a loss unless you've sold for a loss. Yeah, but I think I would like to automate it so that pretty much every pay cycle some of it's going into that platform, so that I can invest it straight away. And I want to diversify it more and look into ETFs. That would be a goal.
Speaker 4: Now you mentioned you're invested in AMD. Is that on the Australian Stock Exchange or is that an American stock exchange?
Speaker 5: Americansges?
Speaker 4: Okay, So tell me what AMD is because here in Australia AMD is Arrow Minerals and I'm very confused as to why you would buy Arrow Minerals and Tesla, Like those ethics aren't ethicching for me right now? I was like, no, that doesn't make sense, Like that story doesn't check out. I'm pretty sure AMD is something else.
Speaker 5: No, AMD is different. My brother got me into it. He'd already made like twenty k and AMD shays and that helped him to put a deposit on his first property. I don't actually know much about them. It's like microchips, like computer chips and things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've looked it up. It's advanced micro devices and they do a lot of quote cutting edge AI data centers, business computing solutions, and gaming with AMD processes.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's why I love that, and I love that.
Speaker 4: I guess you've got someone in on that that's probably done all of the research into flow and you're like, you know what, I would just ride this wave with you.
Speaker 1: I trust you. This makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the amount of spreadsheets my brother has is crazy.
Speaker 1: I've probably got along with him.
Speaker 4: He sounds like a good boy if he likes spreadsheets ten out of ten. I want to talk about debt. You mentioned before that your mortgage starts with an eighth trite. Now you drop to the number like eight ten, you want to get it down to seven hundred. But can you give me a little bit more info? One, do you have any other debts?
Speaker 1: But two? What's your house worth?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: When did you purchase it? All of the nitty gritty so we can understand where it's standing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so at the moment it's valued at one point two.
Speaker 1: Oh nice for some Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think realistically it's more like one to one point one. But it's nice because, yeah, then you've got the equity if you need it. But yeah, at the moment, it's eight hundred and six owing on it, So my mortgage is about four and a half a month, which is a lot.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is a lot, but I mean you're sitting on what nearly four hundred thousand dollars worth of equity, so that is nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not too shabby.
Speaker 1: How does fitting that mortgage repayment into your salary go? Is it tied?
Speaker 4: Is it something that you're like, yep, that works? Like what's that looking like at the moment?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's not tight, but it's it's not as good as it was last year based on all the rate increases. So I pay fortnightly. I get paid fortnightly as well, so it just comes out then I don't see it, and I'm left with about nine hundred the next day after my mortgage comes out. Yeah, and then obviously I'm also paying the bills for the house, and I contribute a third towards bills at my parents' house, so there's always bills coming in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you have any other personal debt?
Speaker 5: No? None.
Speaker 4: Before the break you said, hey, I let my ex partner Douche canoe boy, have you know the fifty grand? And now he doesn't have to pay child support. How's that playing into effect? Like is that good financial decision? Is it a bad financial decision? Like is it something that you're like, I don't care. I just want to get rid of him. But what does that look like?
Speaker 5: Basically, while she's at kindy still, he will contribute a third of her kindy costs, So he contributes about two hundred dollars a month for those That's nice.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize children were so cheap, Like, I'm having one soon. If it's only going to cost me what like six hundred dollars a month and money win, Like, that's a good deal.
Speaker 1: She goes like.
Speaker 5: Three days a week and we've got family that help on other days, which is great. And when you've got the government childcare subsidy as well, it cuts it down. So but then once she starts school next to you, that will stop. And basically we just agreed that, like if there's huge medical costs or anything like the excursions or camps, we will go fifty to fifty yep. But besides that, Yeah, he doesn't have to pay any child's port. I got the house.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, I'm not You're like, I am actually the winner here because there's a cheeky nearly four hundred thousand dollars worth of equity in there, and that cost you one hundred grand, So like that's a money win. Is that also because he earns a different amount like you said earlier in the episode, you're one hundred and fourteen k including souper, Is he earning a similar amount or less or what does that look like to make that make sense.
Speaker 5: I don't know what his finances look like now, Like I do get the assessment but comes back, but I don't know how accurate that assessment actually is because he's not one to do his taxes right on time or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah tooke, I love this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, turn out of ten red flag, red flag, crimson flag.
Speaker 1: There's multiple of them.
Speaker 4: I thought it meant that there was a party, so I was interested.
Speaker 1: So many flags, so much fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was earning about ninety K when we were together, and then he gave his job in wanted to work full time, be his own boss, so that went right down to forty grand straight away. And it was going to be very tight, like I think I heard from child support, and it was going to be basically sixty dollars a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, not worth it. I'll take the house, thank you. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: I was like, you're kidding, And that ended up literally just being shy of fifty grand until she's eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's fair.
Speaker 4: And when it comes to I guess actual childcare, do you have her fifty to fifty or is that more your primary care giver?
Speaker 5: Because of that, I am the primary care giver.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised to his credit.
Speaker 5: I think he's actually been a better father since the separation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's like not that many lies that you're hiding now, sir.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was like the hardest part. When he said he wanted a divorce. I was like, I can't see my child fifty fifty No. Absolutely, then, yeah, especially when like I know that I did like ninety five percent.
Speaker 1: Of the work with her exactly.
Speaker 5: He was totally fine to sign off on seventy five percent for me and twenty five for him, And that was when we were doing all the finances in the settlement. And then he's wanted more time with her, yep, and I don't want to keep her from him. We balance it pretty good. He has her three nights one week, two nights.
Speaker 1: The following week. Okay, that seems like a good balance.
Speaker 4: And to be honest, as a single mum, it might be nice as much as we love our kids and want them around all the time, like just having a bit of breathing room might be a nice thing, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's true. My partner and I like, he's also got a child, so we can match up the weekend.
Speaker 1: It's weesome. Tell me, I want to be pervy. You've got a new partner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's still fairly new. We're five months in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if you've got kids, I feel like people with kids take things more seriously because they're like, I'm not going to get kids involved unless this woman's legit.
Speaker 1: So that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just met her.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so excited for you. All right.
Speaker 4: I want to know, let's keep on with the episode. I keep getting railroaded.
Speaker 1: I want to know, what is your best money habit, best.
Speaker 5: Money to have it? I would say using shot back has saved me about four hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: Four hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like buying a mattress, and like the extra would go from shot back and you're just like, Wow, Like being purchases money has really helped. Yeah, but even like the small ones as well, Like if I'm shopping at the iconic the.
Speaker 4: Dress I'm wearing today, I got so much cash back on money in it was basically free.
Speaker 5: And you should buy the voucher and then also get shot back as well.
Speaker 1: See, you're a genius.
Speaker 5: I only last it from you.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm calling your a genius. I'm like, who would come up with that idea?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Crazy exactly.
Speaker 5: I also use like the seven eleven fuel.
Speaker 4: App as Oh my gosh, I'm obsessed with the seven eleven fuel app.
Speaker 1: Do you like fuel lock or are you.
Speaker 4: Looking at like the sandwich prices, because like the other day they sent me a notification they were like, all our sandwiches are four dollars for the week, and I was like, excuse me, that's such a good deal. So I had seven eleven sandwiches for an entire week for lunch.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad.
Speaker 5: Mine's just for the fuel lock at the moment, but that's a good saving there with the sandwiches.
Speaker 4: How often do you check your fuel lock? Are you like rechecking it seeing if there's anywhere cheaper?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I have been, but I tend to lock it in like probably like a Tuesday or Wednesday, and.
Speaker 1: That's when the fuel's the best price.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly. And then some areas are just always cheaper than others, So I'll lock it in when I'm at home compared to my partner's place because it's just cheaper out my way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, like when you go on the app, it only shows you the five seven eleven's closest to you. So like when my husband's driving and we're driving through different locations, I like to get to see if it changes and I'm like, oh, got that one. Like it's like the adult version of you remember the Pokemon game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like that, but better.
Speaker 4: You would save actual money, and you look, that's crazy exactly.
Speaker 5: Like that show was like two dollars thirty last week and I got it for a dollar eighty nine.
Speaker 4: I'm like money, wait behavior, And it's not even the money win. It's like that sense of grandeur that you get. You're like I am so good, Like I'm basically a genius.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 1: I adore it.
Speaker 4: I do want to bring the mood down though, what's your worst money habit?
Speaker 5: Worst when I have it with the I think budgeting. So even though my brother's great with spreadsheets, I'm not. So I think being consistent with a budget. And it also makes it a bit tricky because like when you've got Airbnb and booking dot com, it's like getting paid multiple times in a week or.
Speaker 1: It's hard to track.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, well I've got like a separate bank account just for the AIRBNBA.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, do you have separate banking Please tell me you do to be track of it.
Speaker 5: Good queen, Yep, I'll end up not being consistent enough. I use up bank and so I have different savers. But I just feel like I need to set up more automatic payments. But because it's so variable with how much money comes in each week with the Airbnb, yeah, sometimes consistent.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah no.
Speaker 4: And you said before that you get paid fortnightly, so you're dealing with that on a relatively short timeframe. So I'm assuming that, like projecting is something that you don't do a lot of.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, So like if Rederick comes up, do you find yourself in a bit of a mad scramble being like Oh my gosh, red Ro's up.
Speaker 1: But I feel like I paid this last week.
Speaker 5: I'm not so bad with that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's me. Yeah, two thousand percent me.
Speaker 5: No, I do it, like, yeah, the four installments are year yeah.
Speaker 1: Smart for the REGI.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's not too much of a shock. I know it's going to be in October, so I know it's coming, and I'm starting to get my emergency fund up. I need that to be better. That would be something to work on.
Speaker 4: See, I need to learn from you because I bought my car back in like twenty ten. It was November, just before Christmas, and I paid my REGRO at that point in time and my insurance and now for the last ten plus years I have been screwed every single November with getting my REDRO. I'm in full because I'm like, oh, I don't want to break it up, like I may as well just pay it. And then straight after I've paid it, they're like, oh, by the way, your insurance has gone up because your car really sucks and you need a new one. But I haven't let go of it. So I get REGI and insurance in the same month, and I mean I do cash flow it don't worry guys, Like, I'm not that bad, but it still hurts.
Speaker 1: Like even if I've got the money, I don't want to give you the money, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, Like my car insurance is due at the same time as my house insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't it a joke.
Speaker 4: It's almost like you set everything up and like did like this financial health check and like cleanse and then all of a sudden, this one month just becomes financial get screwed month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's what it feels like. Let's be honest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do you think you could do to be better at budgeting? Like is it about forecasting? Is it planning or what would that look like?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think it is like I know that the big ones that are coming up, Like I know my rates that you're in February, and I pay them annually because I'd rather just do one big hit even though you hit No.
Speaker 1: I totally get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but also yeah, like budgeting, I was doing the Glenn James spreadsheet, but I just feel like I haven't gone back to it, and I need to do that.
Speaker 1: I love Glenn James, He's one of my best friends. Let's be honest.
Speaker 4: I think If you're in the She's on the Money community, you know that Glenn James runs my Millennial Money, which should be my biggest competitor, but he's basically one of my greatest friends.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to one up him.
Speaker 4: I'm going to gift you my Budget and cash Flow master Class because it's more automated than Glenn's.
Speaker 5: I'm secretly hoping you would.
Speaker 1: I really I love this. Do you know what it worked?
Speaker 5: You got me and manifested it.
Speaker 1: So I love this.
Speaker 4: I'm going to gift you the Money master Class because I feel like it will take it to the next level and like help you project. But it also tells you where to put things in different accounts without you having to like redo it yourself. Like all you have to do is tell me what your expenses are and then it will spit out like a beautiful pie chart and be like, well, this is how you're spending. This is what it looks like. Also, these are the accounts you need to put that money into. And it's got like separate incomes, so you could put your Airbnb income and like change that and see what each month looks like or each fortnite looks like. Because you can change it all, but I think that that will change it. I love that you manifested it, and you're like, I really want it, I really want it.
Speaker 1: No, adore it.
Speaker 4: Let's also give the community a little bonus while I'm here.
Speaker 1: I will set up a code.
Speaker 4: It will be POD fifty and it will give you fifty bucks off the money masterclass, so you can do it alongside our money diarists. I feel like that's a good one. I'm glad you manifested that, but I adore you, Glenn James. But I also spent nine months building a spreadsheet that would just do the work for my community instead of them having to do it.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the hardest part, right.
Speaker 4: Like we can all sit down and write out our budgets and that's very sexy, but then we put it to the side and don't think about it, like I need you to tell me how much do I need to transfer every single week or every single fortnight to that account or I automate that and then it'll work for you and then all you have to do is maybe like check in once a month, then go oh well, actually airbnbing come looked different or it looked the same or it looked less like I feel like that will potentially work a bit better for you also because you're really busy.
Speaker 5: Yes, I am, Oh for sure.
Speaker 1: I love this. I feel like I'm so inspired by your story.
Speaker 4: Like I'm so sorry that your ex was a douche canoe, but that's okay. I feel like you've moved on and it sounds like you're really happy in this new relationship and that makes my whole heart so happy. But it sounds like you've achieved for a lot and you're young, and that is crazy to me. So I want to know, now that we've had a chat, what grade would you give your money habits? Would it still be a B minus? Would you change it? If not, that's okay, But how would we get to an A plus?
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, B minus to a bee maybe a B. I think what I want to do going forward to get to that A would be definitely diversifying more and getting more into investing. And also I want to start contributing water super Yeah, my soup is pretty healthy at the moment, is at one hundred and four khih very pretty good for my age. Yeah, but I only had six months off with my daughter, so yeah, actually contributing extra towards that great. Yeah, I don't want to be teaching when i'm sixty.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: I feel like that it's a really good plan. But I also need to remind you, Money Diarist, you are a single mum. You are killing it, but you're also a single mom, so take the pressure off. We don't need to be doing everything at once, like even the fact that you are a homeowner and you've got a really nice amount of equity. I'm just I'm so excited for your future because it's going to be good, and I promise the path that you're on, you're not going to be teaching a sixty, so or be fine.
Speaker 1: You will live your dreams.
Speaker 4: But unfortunately, Money Direst, this is we have time for today. It's all we could fit into our half an hour organized slot. It has been a pleasure getting to know you, and thank you so much for being so generous with your story and sharing so much. I know that our community loves learning and loves getting to know our diarists, so I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 1: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and Sheese on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper p T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine