Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name's Sanatasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. My name is Victoria Devine and we are back with another Shopback Money Diary, which I am so excited for. As always, we are bringing to the table a very exciting story and this week our Money Diarist has written in and said I moved out of home and interstate at seventeen.
Speaker 1: With just one suitcase.
Speaker 4: I am now twenty five years old working as a registered nurse in a jail. It is now my third year out of UNI and I made ninety eight thousand dollars this past financial year.
Speaker 1: I live with my partner and we have two dogs.
Speaker 4: This financial year, we've decided to get on board with the first Home super Saver scheme and contribute an additional six hundred dollars each to our super each fortnighte. We have a three year goal of buying our first home. Money Diarist, What a story. Oh my gosh, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: I am so excited to talk to you.
Speaker 4: I have so many questions, from talking about you moving out at seventeen to how you're going to make use of the first time Super Savor scheme.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to do a money diary?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: All right, well let's just jump into it with the first stock standard question. Can you tell me a little bit more about your money story?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay. So I think the first two money values that I had were instilled on me when I was a child, which is, don't spend more than you earn, so if you can't afford to buy something, just don't buy it. And then the other thing was differentiate between what you want and what you need.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 3: So growing up. I came from a dual income family. I did gymnastics, piano lessons, my brother's got to do tennis lessons, guitar lessons, saxophone lessons. We got to go on and your family holidays. We went on all the school camps, all the school excursions. We got to do all of those things. But my parents always provided everything that we needed and also that all the extra curriculars. But if it came to like things that we wanted, they didn't just go out and splurge on things that we wanted. Like Mum would never just go out and take me shopping and be like okay, go and choose like whatever you want and we'll buy it. It was always like, if you want something, save it up for your birthdays or Christmas time, and then if you still want it at that time, like a month or two weeks out from that time, let me know and then you can have that for your birthday or Christmas. So it was always taught to like wait for the things that I wanted for special occasions and get them as presents rather than just like getting everything that I wanted. So you know, all the needs were provided for, but the ones were always I was taught to wait and yeah.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's a pretty good money value to be taught. Do you feel like you've upheld those as an adult?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like, I feel like as an adult, I'm actually very indecisive, and I always have to think about, oh do I really want this? Like, think about all the pros and cons and way of all the risks. So I think, yeah, definitely I've brought that up into my adulthood as well.
Speaker 4: Oh I love this all right, I want to know more next. I know you said in your message what you do and what you earn, but I want to know. Let's answer the question properly. What do you do for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm a registered nurse. I work in a metropolitan correctional center. The past financial year, I earned ninety eight thousand dollars, but that includes overtime and penalty rates as well, so my base is around seventy five thousand, but I got to own a bit extra due to doing overtime and weekends.
Speaker 4: What does working in a correctional facility as a nurse actually entail, because I'm assuming that's quite different to being a nurse in a maternity ward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is different. It's kind of like working in comparatively to like working as a nurse in like a doctor's clinic. It's called like community style nursing. We work inside a clinic that's situated inside our section of the jail. So we deal sort of deal with chronic diseases.
Speaker 1: We're in care.
Speaker 3: We do like pathology. We do a lot of triarging where first responders if there's an emergency, we deal with a lot of self harm, a lot of mental health issues. That kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Wow, and with that, how do I'm just being really pervy, now, how do the people in the correctional facility reach out to I guess someone in your position. Do they just get to come into the clinic whenever they want? Do they have to book an appointment?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How does this work?
Speaker 3: We have a system it's called a self referral system. So if it's like a non urgent issue or matter, like for example, someone's like I've got some rush on my skin, we have like letterbox at the front of the clinic and they can write on this professional sort of referral that we have and pop it in the letterbox and then every evening we collect the all the I guess our letters from the letterbox and then we triarge them onto the appropriate wait list depending on what they're requesting. But if it's an emergency, they'll usually be an emergency response called and then we will go out to the wing. Or if it's like someone collapsed or someone having chest pains or a self harm, we will take our emergency bag and go directly to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, I had no idea it would be a letterbox system.
Speaker 4: That's so like, it's just so interesting learning about how other people's jobs work.
Speaker 1: I'm going to come back to that.
Speaker 4: I want to know next though, money Darist, what is your big money goal?
Speaker 1: What are you currently working towards.
Speaker 3: We're currently working towards buying our first.
Speaker 4: House, which is very exciting. What's that going to cost? Twen's that going to happen?
Speaker 3: And how well, look, we're hoping three years time. Look, we kind of are hoping to get something around like between seven hundred thousand and nine hundred thousand. So yeah, we're looking to save up about one hundred thousand for a deposit.
Speaker 4: And let's be super pervy. I want to know what's your partner do how much do they earn? And what does this goal look like when you're budgeting it out? Like, is that one hundred dollars a week? You're saving six hundred dollars a week? What does it look like?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, So my partner, he is a carpenter and he works for a company at the moment and he's on about seventy five thousand, although next year he is going out on his own and starting his own business.
Speaker 1: Oh fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both of us contribute six hundred dollars per fortnite into our super accounts. That's salary sacrificed. So I think that works out to be around fifteen thousand, six hundred each per year or something like that.
Speaker 1: Does that is perfect maths?
Speaker 4: And if your times up by two, that's thirty one thousand, two hundred dollars, which means that you are very on track to meet your goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's our goal.
Speaker 1: That's so exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, hopefully all right.
Speaker 4: Next question I've got for you, do you currently have any investments? If so, what are they?
Speaker 3: No, I don't have any investments apart from my super account.
Speaker 4: Not a bad place to be, especially if you've got a big money goal of saving for a house. I feel like sometimes it can actually be helpful to turbocharge a goal, achieve that, then you know, get some other structures in place, and look at investing later. As much as I talk about it all the time, there's just not enough money to do absolutely everything all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, No, I've just started reading your investing book, and I am really interested in starting. I never even really thought about, like, it didn't even cross my mind about investing before I joined the Shees on the Money group or started listening to your podcast last year.
Speaker 4: So it makes my heart so happy when people say that, because I'm like, oh my gosh, you're going to end up with investments that you might not have had and be hopefully in a better financial position because you got to hang out with us.
Speaker 1: Like how cool is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so exciting. I'm so grateful too.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. No, let's not stroke my ego. Let's go back to the questions. I want to know, do you currently have any debt?
Speaker 1: If so, what is it?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do, So I have a car loan. So I got that at the start of last year, so about eighteen months ago. It's a five year loan. So the loan was forty four thousand plus interest. So the total debt is around fifty two thousand for five years, and I have about thirty four thousand, five hundred remaining of.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me whether, and I think this is going to confuse a few people, is there a balloon on that debt?
Speaker 3: No, there's no balloon on that debt.
Speaker 4: So when I asked the question for those of you listening along who might have been like, why are you talking about balloons when we're talking about debt. A balloon is where you sign up to a you know, car loan for example, and our money dirist just said, got a car loan, had it for about eighteen months. It's forty four thousand dollar car I'm going to pay off this fifty two thousand dollars debt, which if you divide that by the five years that you said you were going to paid off in that means that you're probably paying around ten four hundred dollars each and every single year.
Speaker 1: However, often loan companies.
Speaker 4: Will say, oh my gosh, money Darist, would you prefer lower repayments and a balloon at the end, And you're like, oh, yeah, that sounds good. I'd much prefer to pay five thousand dollars off instead of ten thousand dollars off a year, which means there's a really big payout amount at the end of that five years. So you might have paid off your loan, but you still have maybe twenty dollars at the end to paid off. And I always find that to be a relatively sticky position to be in because you haven't paid off the asset and you only have a few options. You can either refinance that debt, which you know, who knows what your cash flow looks like at that point in time, or you can trade in your vehicle and get a new debt, which is what people in the finance industry want you to do because it means that you are staying in the debt ecosystem, benefiting them. And you think that you're in the right position because you never had to pay off the full debt, when in reality that doesn't put you ahead. So I'm glad to hear that you don't have a balloon, because sometimes they can prove to be a little bit prickly. Yeah, anyway, that is a side note.
Speaker 1: Did they offer you a balloon?
Speaker 3: No? So I specifically chose a car and chose a company that didn't have a balloon, because when I went shopping, I decided that after looking at a few cars and looking at my options, I decided that I did not want to have a balloon. I just wanted to have the full thing paid in five years.
Speaker 4: Fair, all right, I do have to be really pervy now though. You can't tell me that you spent fifty two thousand dollars on a car and not tell me what kind of car it is.
Speaker 1: What did you buy?
Speaker 3: I feel like you might be disappointed.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm not ever disappointed. I'm just real pervy. I wouldn't know. I couldn't care less.
Speaker 4: It's all about your money values and what you spend your money on, and it sounds like you've made a decision that's in line with those values.
Speaker 1: So ten out of ten, what have you bought?
Speaker 3: So I got a Honda crb Oh?
Speaker 4: I thought you were gonna tell me it's like something really disappointing, Like, oh, Victoria, I spent fifty two thousand dollars on a Toyota Yaris and I would have been like, babe, like that's not a good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I specifically chose this car because I do want to have it for the next like fifteen years, and I know that it'll be a good car when I eventually have kids, and it'll sort of see me out for the you know, a good chunk of my future.
Speaker 4: She's a thinker. We'd love to see it all right. Next question I have is talk to me. Do you use shop back? Yes?
Speaker 3: I do use shot back, So I think so far i've made one hundred and forty four dollars.
Speaker 1: I love this. What are you buying when you're purchasing things on shop backs?
Speaker 3: So we went overseas back in August. Most of that comes from booking dot com actually from all our accommodation and flights and clok and stuff activities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred and forty four bucks is a fancy dinner out that is definitely worth using it for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ten out of ten.
Speaker 4: L Right onto other good money habits. I want to know, what do you think your best money habit is?
Speaker 3: So I've actually got a couple of good ones. So, because I work in a jail, it is actually quite a lot of effort to go out and buy lunch or go out and get lunch because we have to like we have to sign in, we have to get our keys out, to get our alarm out, we have to get our bags checked, get our body scanned. So a good habit because of that is I always bring my lunch to work.
Speaker 4: Oh I love this, but not the reasons why I feel like I hate going through airport security. Yeah, and you've just explained that you have to do that every day for a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So because of that, I'm saving money on lunch because I'm always bringing lunch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is very fair. All right, turning the table around, I want to know what is your worst money habit, my friend?
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's actually something I used to do but I am really working on. Before I read your first book, I just had two bank accounts, which was I just had my spendings and my savings account, and so each fortnight I would just put like I don't know, like six or seven hundred dollars just into my savings account. But I never really had like a clear goal of what I wanted to do with that. It was just sort of sitting there. And so then towards the end of each four at night, when like something would pop up, like a friend would say, oh, do you want to go out for dinner or go for a brunch or something. I'll look at my account and be like, oh, I don't have much left in my spendings, or just transfer from my savings. And so I went through like a vicious cycle of transferring back and forth from spendings to savings.
Speaker 1: Super common.
Speaker 3: But since reading your first book, I actually have now set up my bank accounts the way that you suggested, and it's really working out for me.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: I love to hear that. Obviously I'm a bit biased.
Speaker 4: I do think that system works because not only did I create it, but I use it all the time. But it's honestly so fun to hear that other people are using it. How long did it take you to set all of that up and kind of get into the swing of it.
Speaker 3: Not long, Maybe like a couple of days.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so quick. Yeah, and it's going well thus far. I love to hear it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going really well. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, last question before we go to really quick break, because I have a billion questions for you. What grade would you give your money habits if we forced you to give yourself a grade?
Speaker 3: I would say a B.
Speaker 4: Why would you say a bee and what would it take to get you to an A plus?
Speaker 3: I would say a B because I think I have some good money habits and I think that, like, I kind of have clear goals and I know what I want, and I'm kind of good at organizing my money and my choices. But I think to get it to an A, I would probably need to start investing and just taking it to the next level.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's really achievable though, So it's not as though you need to overcome heaps of adversity to get there. I love that, and it sounds like you're on exactly the right path.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to a really quick break because I want to know a little bit more about your money story. You mentioned that you moved out of home and interstate at seventeen with just one suitcase, So don't go anywhere. We're going to dive into that right after this quick break. All right, money diarist, I want to jump back into it asap because I feel like in our first set of questions we really didn't cover this at all, but you wrote it as the first sentence in your message to us, you said, I moved out of home and interstate at seventeen with just one suitcase.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 4: Why when we're how give us some context because it sounds like now you're absolutely flourishing. But that doesn't sound like a story where you would expect to be in the position you were in today.
Speaker 1: Am I right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, Look, it's actually not as gloomy as like it kind of sounds.
Speaker 1: Oh, you just tried to click bait me.
Speaker 4: I see you, I see you trying to get on the show, trying to get on the show by giving me a juicy story and then tell me it's not so juicy.
Speaker 1: But let us know what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I finished high school when I was seventeen, and then my parents sort of pushed me to move out. They were like, you know, like it's time for you to move on. It'd be really great for you to go to this UNI. It's you know, across the state. You know, we've kind of already enrolled you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, this is not the story I expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, this was like, so I finished high school in like November, and then by February the following year, I had moved into state and I flew because I was going to be living in Dawns at UNI, so all I could take was one twenty kilo suitcase. And that's kind of how I started, Yeah, living in a different state from my parents, and I have not moved back.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's such a big move. You're now twenty five. You work in a jail. Did you ever think that as a nurse, that's where you saw yourself? Like, I feel like that's quite neat nursing if I'm honest.
Speaker 3: Look, I didn't even know it was a thing.
Speaker 1: Neither did I until you wrote into me.
Speaker 3: Um Still in my final year of nursing, I had I think it was like my second or third last place when I had three weeks at a juvenile center, and I absolutely loved it. I love the team, I love the staff. I loved the sort of work that they did. And the manager at the time wrote me a letter of recommendation for my new grad to apply with Justice Health. So that's yeah, kind of what I did.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, how exciting.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's such a special area to be in as well, because not only is it confronting, and I would argue quite diverse in the issues that you would see because it's not just a GP clinic, right You akin to to like, oh, it's like kind of being a nurse in a GP setting, but it's not really because you've got emergency and then you've got mental health on top of that. Like is this something that you had to get extra training for or like how many different areas of your nursing degree are you using at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what I found is that, like I pretty much learned most of what I know on the job. Like, yes, at UNI, I learned like all the theory and that kind of thing at UNI, But when I started the job was when I've really learned sort of everything. Yeah. So I've been given lots of opportunities through my work as well. So I've become an authorized nurse immunizer, so I've done the immunization course. I've done pathology so I can tape gloves, and I've done like CPR assess the course so I can assess people doing CPR. I've done like preceptor course so where I can sort of nurture and be that support person for new stuff coming on. So I've been given lots of opportunities through my job at the moment to sort of expand my skills as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, I feel like that's such a diverse space to go into because obviously it's kind of like its own ecosystem in a way. Yeah, it's not necessarily you going, oh my gosh, this is a particular area of nursing. I want like you would just get exposed to so much. In saying that, I feel like that might weigh heavily on your own mental health.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 4: How are you looking after yourself in what I would argue as a relatively taxing mentally job.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, I think one of the good things about where I work is that because I have to go specifically into work, I can sort of differentiate home and work because I'm actually going to work and work there and then I'm leaving it there and then coming home.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is, because it's a jail, we're not allowed to take our phones in with us, so while I'm at work, I don't have any access to the outside world. My phone's left in my car. And then when I finish work, I go to my car, and then that's when I sort of switch from you know, home me to work me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's on a so interesting because it's not something that I've been confronted with before. This is going to be a left field question, but if I'm thinking it, I'm assuming a lot of other people are thinking.
Speaker 1: It as well.
Speaker 4: Does the idea that you know people in jail have potentially done some things that you might not agree with ever impact your ability to look after them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I mean like sort of we try not to know exactly what they've done, but of course you get some high profile people in there, I mean, and words spreads fast and you kind of find out. Yeah, of course what they've done. But I just sort of see it as I'm just there to look after their healthcare, and you know it, actually it doesn't affect me or matter what they've done, because at that moment, I'm just there to look at them as you know, a patient and how I can help them with their health care at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think that that's a really important delineation to make because I think I would really struggle in that circumstance to be like, oh, I need to help you, but I don't really want to because you don't sound like the kindest human on the other side of this money diarist, I feel like the other concern I have, because we're basically best friends now, is you're going to work every day in a jail.
Speaker 1: How are you keeping safe?
Speaker 4: Like, is this something that your job is a little bit more risky because of its location or is there extra security or how does that work for you?
Speaker 3: Yes, So with our job, we will never be just alone one on one with a patient, so we have officers around us at all times, so it'll never just be a nurse and a patient. It will be a nurse, an officer, and a patient at all times. So whenever we go, even if we go to an emergency, we can't get to the patient even if they're you know, needing CPR on the ground until an officer is present. So it's always safety first, right, And we also carry a juress alarm on us, so that's attached to a belt on us, and that's a tilt alarm as well, so if you bend over, that alarm will go off, So if you're in a sticky situation you can sort of discreetly use that as well.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what how does that work? So what happens if you just, you know, bend over to pick.
Speaker 4: Up the pen you dropped. I would do that three million times a day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we kind of learn to bend with our knees when you first start there. It's often set off a false alarm quite a lot, which is quite annoying for them. But yeah, it happens quite a lot, and especially going to the toilet as well.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, so we do.
Speaker 3: Like the way I wear mine is I don't have my belt looped around through my pants. I just have it sitting on top of my pants and then so like this sounds weird, but when I go to the toilet, I just sort of lift up and hold my belt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, that makes sense, so it doesn't yell. So what you're saying is if this tilts, you will literally have an alarm goal elf that I'm assuming it is a silent alarm that then says you're in trouble and need a hand.
Speaker 3: That's right, And then you'll have like a team of officers running to the toilet or running to wherever you are to see what's going on.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, one I would be in trouble all the time. But true, that's kind of intelligent that you can just set it off by tipping over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can also set it off by pressing the big red button.
Speaker 1: That would help you. But I just have this idea in my head that if ever you were in a pickle, you would just play dad and it would work for you. Like, that's that's great, all right.
Speaker 4: I'm going to take these places that it shouldn't go for a money diary, so I think we might leave it their money diarist.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your story.
Speaker 4: Not only have I learned a lot about the correctional facility that you work in, I feel like I've learned a lot about you and your goals and what you're working towards. And I just feel like this has been a really interesting money diary. So thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Well, unfortunately, guys, that is all we have time for today. We will see you guys on Wednesday. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 1: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 4: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sheirper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine