Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Flex and Frooms and our producer Brook. It's actually just gone to the toilet.
Speaker 1: She's abandon us for a little tinkle. But it's fine. I was thinking broadly. I was going to talk about it with you on the show, but I'm still trying to formulate what the thought is. But I had a situation recently where someone was struggling near me, like in physical pain, and didn't say anything because they didn't want to disrupt the vibe I hate. And I was so sad because I was like, do you don't think you're more important than the vibe? Do you really think that we'd put you in a position where your comfort is less important than the vibe? You're insane, so never be me. No. So I'm trying to figure out, like what is what is the moral of the story, you know, like being an attention or could save your life. I don't know, but sometimes it is worth drawing attention to you and taking it away from something else just for the moment you're deserving of being seen. Maybe don't request it from everyone, but definitely like you're in a circle, they got you. It's really like painting me how I'm like observing people feel alone. I'm seeing a lot of that on my time when at the moment I'm like, damn, you guys really need a group chat or a best friend.
Speaker 2: Yeple and friends Keeter, Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. In very exciting news, my father turned sixty six a few weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Shout out to the big dog, big dog.
Speaker 2: Old loving it though. I just had this thought, you know, my I remember when I was born and my parents parents. I thought my parents' parents are so old. But if I have a baby now, my parents would be babe age that my grandparents were scary. Life. Life happens, guys.
Speaker 1: It definitely does continuously like happening unbeknownst to us and without our consent.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I live in just from my parents, So what do I do. I didn't organize a present for my dad. I'll say I'm gonna get some cupcakes, and uber Emm says, nah, none of that fancy shit. He likes the cupcakes that just have pink icing and smiley faces.
Speaker 1: He's one of mine.
Speaker 2: It's a simple man.
Speaker 1: He's kind of like you.
Speaker 2: Very specific food taste. Doesn't drink milk.
Speaker 1: Either, but I'm thinking of getting back into it because I want to eat crunchy nuts cereal, and the internet said my only alternative is water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not going to give or some people do orange juice. And anyway, Mum goes to the local bakery and gets these little tiny muffins, twelve of them. What happens later that night everyone with me.
Speaker 1: Gash stroke, three star health raaking go.
Speaker 2: Our family friends are over and everybody eats them, eats the cupcakes. My mom doesn't have one. But then once once everyone's gone, she like has a little bite on. There's stale. I'm not just stale. They are repugnant. My mum is so upset and embarrassed that she's just fed all of these guests these absolutely rancid cupcakes, and she goes, nope, I'm not having any other slove, goes down to the bakery.
Speaker 1: Oh. I thought she would have called the guests back to be like, hey, f yi, I don't know what happened there. That wasn't one of mine, that was one of theirs.
Speaker 2: So she doesn't let the guests be Instead, she's going straight to the source, walks over to the bakery the next day, demands a refund. Yeah small business, no ah.
Speaker 1: No, listen if medium franchise, franchise.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, your bakery. She didn't demand she's not a.
Speaker 1: Full time on card Yeah yeah no.
Speaker 2: But I mean that they were so bad that even my dad was like, oh, they're not good, and like he doesn't really have a palette. He just consumes, you know, he doesn't taste, he just hates. So basically got me thinking, you know, like most of the cupcakes had already been eaten. You know, she's bringing like half cupcake back to be.
Speaker 1: Like true, she's a stale the day later too, So how do you even know? How do we even know?
Speaker 2: But my big question is, FLEXI, you've eaten majority of the meal and you find a hair or you realize that it's actually gross, do you send it back?
Speaker 1: Is this why you told that whole story?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I want to know.
Speaker 2: Ah, Okay, let me let me paint the scene for you. Okay, you're sitting down at a restaurant. Let's say no boo, let's not say a restaurant.
Speaker 1: Let's redact.
Speaker 2: You're sitting down at a restaurant that you really like. That's like relatively good. It's not a chain restaurant, it's a local restaurant, but it's expensive. You sit down, put a napkin over your lap. Audio food, ravioli. The ravioli turns.
Speaker 1: Up, vodka pasta could change.
Speaker 2: The vodka pasta shows up your little sifting true trying to get the source all of their thing. You see a hair Oh, I'm not a regular hair. Oh it's always pubic. That's the rule of hair and food. Okay, yeah, it always comes from the pubic, came from below, And you think South Pole, what do you do? Do you send it back? Let's say you're you've got one quarter left, You've seen it right last minute. Do you send it back for a new or do you just ask for a refund.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't send it back for hair. I think that's just part of the risk you take when dining out. And honestly, I have watched a couple of chef shows in my life, and a lot of them just raw dogging it, like no gloves and just hair out. So I understand the land of the land. What I will send back every time, dirty dishware, dirty carp I. Don't care if it smells funny. If I'm catching a little residue of like a bit of dry what do what you call dried water? What's that called? Anyway? Do you get what I'm saying? I think so, the dried water and the glass, I'm sending it back. I'm sending it back. Can I tell you though? Really quickly? I was in Hobart, went to my favorite restaurant. It will not be named. You know, you know, you know, you know, shout out to Hobart. I take my two friends there. They one is vegan, vegetarian ish, you know, oscillates are the ones a trough heill eat whatever. So we order. I ordered a bunch of food for everyone. Now that my Palett's evolved, I'm like, I know how to do this. The food gets here and something's off. Now I've come here so many times, maybe ten, so I know what it should look like. It's not looking that way. The plating is different. But specifically I ordered corn for my vegan friend and the corn came on a bed of meat. Assorted me. I never seen this before. I never seen this. So as I pick up the corn by the skewer, the cop no no, no, by a little it's had a little skewer in it. I picked it up. I said, I guess, I guess it's fine. I put it on her plate. The waiter comes, He's like, I'm so sorry, that's not your food. I'm so sorry, it's not your food. Takes the corn I took off plate, assembles it back on the plate, goes to the next table. Hi, this is your food. Couldn't be me.
Speaker 2: It couldn't be me.
Speaker 1: It couldn't be me, Babe, I trust me. You shouldn't trust me. You're anyway. At that point, I said, I wish I was more of a vigilante, but I said, every man for himself to my.
Speaker 2: Community, it's better over here. Flex and rooms on kater Flexi. Recently, I was talking about intrusive thoughts right correct now. Over the last few weeks, I've decided I actually want to rephrase that term because I actually don't think what I'm experiencing is intrusive thoughts, because true intrusive thoughts are just that they're intrusive, and they're often disturbing or upsetting. And my intrusive thought being the fact that I'm having a dance off with a family that owns a milk.
Speaker 1: Bar reoccurring some spontaneous thoughts or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a what's it called? Not an intrusive thought? It's an impulsive thought? Anyway. I had a listener submission about what it could be. It's from a woman called Sophie, I consider her long term employee. Thank you, Sophie for your wack. She goes are the intrusive thoughts that aren't intrusive in bunny rabbits. I think the correct psychological terminology is recurring thoughts or recurring thought patterns highly associated with OCD. But we all have these thoughts, and it's safe to say we don't all have OCD. Anyway, Illi, boss, have a great day.
Speaker 1: X love that message. I really there are a few things I appreciate more than when people take the time out to continue the conversation with us, like that thing. Well, let's say we disagree on how to pronounce a word and someone's like, it's actually this. I'm like, yeah, thank you, that's helpful, Thanks for actually listening. You know what?
Speaker 2: An absolute pleasure? Unbeknownst to me, or rather against my will, anxiety seems to come up as a concept here on the flex and from show we do talk about philosophy against your will? No, not really, but you just talk about what you see, you know. I feel like, hmm, now I'm having anxiety. No, no, I'm joking. I'm joking. Essentially, I'm trying to figure out a new dictionary for how to talk about what I experience that gives power to how it actually feels, the specifics of it, not the broad like it's broadly a thought.
Speaker 1: No no, no, it's a very specific thing that's happening here.
Speaker 2: So instead of using the term anxiety and intrusive thoughts, and I must say this is off my own back. No one has called me in or out on this one. It's more rather a self censoring technique. I want to bring back worry. Yeah, let's talk about being worried. Let's say on a.
Speaker 1: It's nice to admit that I said it the other day to someone I'm really worried, like about a certain situation. She's like, there it is, You're dancing around it. You need I feel I think, No, no, not there it is, You're worried, I said, Damn.
Speaker 2: I do wonder though, if we need to come up with a whole new term, because even the term worried gives me a little top like reminds you of a toddler, like, oh, worry? What like worried sounds like obviously? Okay. Anxiety can be a disorder. It also can be a feeling. You can feel anxious about having anxiety or proper but it doesn't how do I feel distressed? No, distressed is like panic stations and.
Speaker 1: Worries, concerned, apprehensive, destray, doubtful.
Speaker 2: Nah, it's not giving.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I think maybe you'd be better off honoring like the complexity of the feeling as opposed to trying to squish it down into like a really clean word.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what I'm thinking. Let's say I feel whatever way about a situation and I go to my best friend, and I will say worry or anxiety based on how I want them to react and help me. So, if I go to my best friend and I say I'm really anxious about this thing, I'm wanting her to be like, oh, don't be silly, like da da da oh. For reason, if I go to her and say I'm really worried about this, then it's like this is something that we need to fix. This is something like to me.
Speaker 1: When your intention based language it is like when you're worried.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's more associated with something that you actually should be worried about, whereas anxiety is like something being like, Oh, don't be silly.
Speaker 1: They do say only fifteen percent of the things we worry about actually happen, so should we even be worried.
Speaker 2: As I've said previously, my mind is let you go into the fifteen percent.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my mind said, Hey, babe, statistics are real over here.
Speaker 2: Love good to think about. I reckon, but I would like to think about more intentional words. Not for any reason. I think you should be able to use whatever words you want when you're talking about your leved experience.
Speaker 1: But I disagree. Really yeah, I don't think English is the most helped full language. I think it's full of contradictions as a foundation. I mean the fact that we have a bunch of noises that sound similar but don't mean similar things, and that words that sound that they should mean something don't mean what they mean or and I'm like, okay, that's not helpful. But also I think there is a lot of power and saying what you mean, especially when you want to be understood as intended. And then sometimes I think that we feel really misunderstood, but we don't feel like it's our responsibility to like make people understand. Like if you don't get you don't get it. It's like, well, how are we going to find the words so you get it? Because I can't be in this hole alone. I need you to understand. That's why TikTok, you know, it's when you're speaking to someone.
Speaker 2: Sorry you say, that's why TikTok's so popular. Yeah, because they find specific feelings.
Speaker 1: Fuzzy wrecking ball, you know, when you when you're talking to someone like maybe like you're venting or not even venting, but like just like commiserating or like getting a thought or like debriefing even right, and you maybe I say like, I don't know, I'm just worried that if I say something it's going to give her the wrong impression. And then someone's like, oh, so, like you're scared. No, I didn't say that. Don't paraphrase like I'm telling you in so many words how I'm feeling. Don't try and make us sound simple. I'm really stressed because if I go to work tomorrow and I'm not prepared I'm going to feel like I'm insignificant at my job, and I'm going to feel like people are judging me. Sounds like you need a break. That's not what I said. Yeah, facts like I said. All that I said so you would understand what I'm going through, you know I do. Sometimes you just hit them like, yeah, that sounds really hard.
Speaker 2: Sorry that you're going through that. Love what I do want to do because sometimes I listen to the podcast back to go to sleep?
Speaker 1: Do you do that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Quecki?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, wait, there's a word that I try to say, the lashievious.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what's that word? I'm gonna get this up. Here we go, get it up.
Speaker 2: Lacivious feeling or revealing an overt sexual interest or desire. Ready, here we go.
Speaker 1: Lascivious. Can you read the definition again? Serous? No? You what's the definition? Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait wait, it's saying it wrong. Hold on, why is it servious? It's lacivious? Hold on a second, guys signing it? Wait, everybody'd be quite lascivious?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: It means feeling or revealing an overt sexual interest or desire.
Speaker 1: Why the fuck?
Speaker 2: Hold on? One? Was I just because I was gonna say lugivious.
Speaker 1: Hold on, so you you've been feeling that?
Speaker 2: No, I just always want to say lucivious as a word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to feel liscivious, but.
Speaker 2: Just period things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people aren't that lascivious to me?
Speaker 2: Huh? You fucking the dating apps?
Speaker 1: No, there's your shoe. No, I just like I need to see people in more in hornier context. I'm just standing around in a bar, is like, not inherently horny. It's for the girls, you know. It's all right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's how we need to do our Flex and Froom's date night.
Speaker 1: I relax by relax.
Speaker 2: Everybody bring a single friend. Let's go fam Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 1: They're the best. What did you oka? Am I the asshole for refusing to watch my niece while my sister gives birth. That is the question we're answering today on Flex and Froom comprehension. Hats on listening, Ears open. I seventeen year old male, have an older sister. She's twenty four. She has a two year old daughter, and she recently gave birth. It was early and unexpected, and our family went to the hospital. Everyone except for me, my sister, and my mum just expected me to watch my two year old niece. I don't know anything about watching kid. I don't know how to change a diaper or what they can eat. I tried to refuse and leave. I also had plans for that day, but my mom basically told me if I didn't watch my niece, i'd be grounded, and this was an emergency, and that I was being selfish. I left anyways, and now I'm grounded. My sister won't talk to me because my mom had to stay home with my niece. She's not happy either. I don't think i'm the asshole. I don't have any experience with the kid, and I already had plans that day. My mom was there for my niece's birth, so I don't know why it's so important to be there for the second.
Speaker 2: He really said.
Speaker 1: He said, life is hard for young boys.
Speaker 2: Let me stay home and play Xbox with the bros.
Speaker 1: Is he the asshole? I know you want me to say yes, but I don't think he is. Have you met seventeen year olds generally? Yes? Have you met seventeen year old youngest siblings? Siblings who have never had to look after another sibling before they don't have those tools. They don't have those skills, and I can imagine in a situation like this, he'd be purposely obtuse and would actually put that kid in more danger by gradually looking after him. Now, I will say, if you know you're going to give birth, some people don't happens accidentally on the toilet more than you think, more than you think, actually it does.
Speaker 2: Why is it always in hungry jacks?
Speaker 1: Huh you heard of that? No, haven't.
Speaker 2: You're at caf scene or a McDonald's. I've heard that one. I think comes around every six months. Okay, woman has accidental baby in toilet of McDonald's. Yeah, what a way to go.
Speaker 1: I love that. If you know you're going to give birth to a child, you kind of have a vague idea of when that's coming up. Let's get some some things put in order, like I don't know, maybe a babysitter, a family friend you trust, you know to be able to get that on lock. Can you really give birth stress free knowing your delinquent, obtuse younger sibling has take has to look after your current baby. I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: I just say bring the baby to the hospital. Oh, yeah, show it what life looks like whilst occurring.
Speaker 1: I guess two year olds need a lot of like attention.
Speaker 2: Dreckon the two year old child's ever seen its youngest sister get born in a hospital setting?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Out of the I reckon?
Speaker 2: What about it? The sun roof?
Speaker 1: Look, I'm gonna say sun roof desirian Ah.
Speaker 2: At a later date, I want to talk about how that offends some people. I put a meme on my story a while ago about how like it was, like, it's not your birthday, like you came out of a sunroof.
Speaker 1: Babes related though, when I went up dressed up as a blue person for Halloween, it was a slightly avatar related. I just wanted to a blue person. They wanted to do it for fun. I went to a house party there happened to be a baby there part of a Kendrick Lamar Jesus costume. Don't ask. I held the baby for a photo, took a photo, posted it. I said, guess what my costume is? Someone said postpartum depression. I liked it. Or why am I getting canceled? Why are you making jokes about postpartum depression? I said, Babe, Babe, do I have to explain that there's no joke. There's no joke, And now when I explain it, I look crazy. It's avatar James Cameron. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.