Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. Thereby, Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Stephen k Amos, the latest eliminated celebrity from I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here for twenty twenty four. This international renowned funny man was an absolute joy in the camp this year, providing endless stories and entertainment for all of his camp mates every day. Stephen wowed the camp mates with his endless tales of famous faces that he's encountered, his origins in the comedy scene, and a hilarious emergency that saw him turn his beloved Porsche into a Porterloo. However, it was Steven's ability to share some of his home truths with the camp, opening up about his experiences of racial violence. I do quickly want to point out that Stephen's choice of charity was Banksier Palliative Care Services, which is a non for profit that provides a central, twenty four hour holistic palliative care and support to children and adults living with progressive and terminal illnesses. Stephen will reveal if he had been asked to do the UK version of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here. And also he explains the difference between the countries and how their shows differ. We will get a tease of what sort of jungle content we can expect to see in his upcoming comedy show and why he might lose.
Speaker 2: A few of his new friends.
Speaker 1: I will also talk about his relationship with Australian comedians and find out if his previous established relationship with Julia Morris helped him get on the show. I'm also going to talk about how this show has changed him for life and what sort of changes he's going to make in his life moving forward. There's actually so much to unpack with Stephen kay, so sit back and relax as we unpack his time in the South African jungle.
Speaker 2: Hi Stephen, how are you Ben? Yes? It is it is Ben.
Speaker 3: Ben Norwick right. Yes, one of my oldest friend in the UK comedian is called Ben Norris.
Speaker 2: I hate him. He's got my name. He keeps trying to bump me off all of these programs.
Speaker 3: What you might be in I'm.
Speaker 2: Australia's version of Ben Norris?
Speaker 1: But can I tell you that for a very long time, if you typed in my name, up came a very handsome photo of me. And now when you type in my name, it's your old mate from overseas.
Speaker 3: Got to get rid of him, I hear you. I love a word in and I'll get him to change his name. By deed poll, I'm happy with. My name is Stephen Kate amos an anagrammer, which is the spokesman by.
Speaker 2: The way, amazing, amazing. I do like that. I hadn't put that together, but I'm glad you've pointed it out. Book.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on surviving the jungle, but also surviving living with Australian celebrities.
Speaker 3: I know that was one of the weird things about going into the jungle because I literally knew nobody. Obviously, I had seen Margin in the middle, so I knew who Thank You was, I didn't know him. I also knew who Tristan was, so I've done the Studio ten program he used thought, but I literally had no idea who anyone else was. I felt like a duck out of water. I was thrown in literally at the deep end and had to get to know Boom from scratch, which in a weird way was an advantage. I had no preconceived ideas about anybody.
Speaker 1: Did you ask one of the producers if you could wear like a little earpiece so they could talk into your ear and say, right, you talk me to guy.
Speaker 2: She's an influencer, she was on Big Brother.
Speaker 3: Do you know what? I should have done that? But there was something about getting to know people from the start, and I think that's what we've all lost, that kind of human touch, that human connection, because we're so addicted to this little device in our hands, a mobile phone. And that's the genius of this show, actually, because you're forced could have conversations and forced to get to know people with a phone in hand. There's so many other distractions we could easily use. I mean, how many times have you been in a restaurant or a bar and you've seen a group of friends savner each other and some of them are literally on their phones, not being present.
Speaker 2: I mean, you would know this.
Speaker 1: I did a series of Big Brother, and I was in there for four months, and so had no phone for four months. And after about three months, I decided in my mind that when they get gave me my phone back, I wouldn't want it. I was like living off the land. I'm hanging up all electronic equipment, you know, but very quickly you will get back, you know, to being in love with your phone again.
Speaker 3: Oh do you know what then, I'm going to say this now, I'm going to make sure that I spend at least one or two days a month where I put my phone down because it was so cathartic and I don't want to be that person that loses everything I've been, that I've learned, or that i've that has really enhanced who I am. From my experience in the jungle, we don't need to be on our phones twenty four seven. Nothing is that important. Think about it. From my point of view. We have had no access to the news. I mean that I watched the news on a regular basis because I helped you with being across what's happening in the world culturally that I can maybe make jokes about or reference about. But in my full weeks in that jungle, nothing mattered. You know. Of course, we want to keep in touch with our friends and our family, but you know what, I don't need to scroll through TikTok, I don't need to scroll from Facebook nothing is that important.
Speaker 1: Especially watching other people, and I mean it is an enormous amount of sort of naval gazing, is what you call it. But you know what I wanted to ask you. You know, there are so many international versions of I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here. Is this the first time you've been asked to do one of them? Because I mean, you would be not out of place being in the UK one or the American version.
Speaker 3: I've been asked to take part in other versions, but what attracted me to the Australian version is, as far as I'm aware, it's not about conflict. You don't seem to throw people in there that you know sparks are going to fly. I'm not about convict in my day to day life. I don't really want to be on a TV show where it's designed for me to annoyed with somebody. If it happens naturally to the course of events, fine, But if you put like if you put me in the jungle with someone whose political and aspirational way of life is completely different to mine, that is as a starting point is very difficult. And I understand that there is also a level of respect that we go into these shows with I want to have that respect from my fellow camp mate and not have a preconceived notion of who they are, what they've beliefs are, and therefore be on the back foot straight away.
Speaker 1: Okay, so who out of these two people would you prefer to go into the jungle? But let's just say, because now you've got to taste for it, he decided to do the UK one. What about Kate Hopkins or Meghan Michael Which one of those two?
Speaker 3: I would love to be in the jungle with Megan Markle because I think it. Yeah, I think that she can give me or us an insight into what she's actually been through, not all the press there about her, know what people's opinions are about her. But then Kate Opkins, she's known for being, you know, very opinionated. You know what we've all got, We've all got opinions. I don't need to be around yours twenty four to seven because the benefit of the life that we all live is that I don't have to listen to you. I can switch off my ears. But if I'm stuck in a place where we have to talk to each other, oh my good. As Katie rain in rain your neck in love?
Speaker 1: What about Sky though, because like Sky, I mean, she's a fan favorite. She's probably going to take this whole thing out and people love her. But I have myself spent about seventy two hours with her in a row and I rang her mum and got her mum to pick her up from my house and to take her home because I was done. Did you wish that you had the luxury of calling Sky's mum at any point and asking for her to be taken home?
Speaker 3: You know? Are we perfectly wanted to know? I've all the Bible mentioned. Spy was not the one I wish I could bring their mum. There were a couple of people in there, but I do wish I could call them mom. But Sky was not one of them. Guy. I found to be so pure, so genuine, and so honest and also willing to give anything a try and also learned. And she made me laugh. That woman has good a pure heart. I can't say that for everybody but.
Speaker 1: Me. Don't worry, Stephen, Why don't you would know this? But Denise Drysdale is actually a very I grew up with her.
Speaker 3: I had no idea about that connection and I'm going to say Denise did not pull any punching she you were laterally going on, and she knew what she was going to be, what she didn't want to do, And we had a connection because both in showbillys, both work in comedy, and both at a certain age and her, Oh yeah, there's the knowing glances kept coming back and forth between myself and Denise.
Speaker 2: I love her for that. I mean I grew up with it.
Speaker 1: Like when she was offering KHN instructions on how to fix the fire and he didn't take that very well. I was like, that's how I grew up. That's Denise's fairy to the point. She didn't beat around the bush. She gave you very clear instructions and you were able to actually finish the task that she would give you because of the clarity of it.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Then there's nothing worse than too many cooks broiling the broth. One person take charge, say what we need to do, and let's execute it. That's what we missed when Karen left. That's all we missed when Denise left, because oh, I don't know if you saw the day after Calm left and we all were too many chefs in the kitchen. I was like, mate, just be quiet. You didn't do this when karm was here. You won't mind this. Spend Denise with here? What wrong would you be?
Speaker 1: Because those two are quite frightening. But you know quickly I wanted to ask you. You know you have become this fan favorite. It's a shocked Australia. I don't think you've been giving your phone back so you wouldn't know. But people are outraged that you were eliminated. I don't think we've seen anyone being as outraged like a celebrity that's had this much outrage. And poor Brittany Hockley, everyone's like pointing the finger at her and saying you.
Speaker 2: Get out of here. They want her gone.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I need to ask you this, what's the relationship like with Brittany Hockley inside the camp because Australia doesn't seem like they've connected as genuinely to her as they have to you.
Speaker 3: Oh that's that's interesting. I don't obviously, I don't know what's been shown. I haven't seen any of the series at all. I only got out yesterday. But what I was doing for myself I was putting my heart on my sleeve. I thought, yes, I do comedy. It's very niche area and so therefore I want the rest of us say it to see what I'm about. I'm a black British man of Nigerian heritage, and I'm going to be honest. I don't have a huge social media following like Britney Doll. And maybe it's social media following that it's backing certain people. But all I wanted to do in that jungle was to be my authentic self and if that came through, I'm very proud of that. I'm very proud to mention the things I did mention. I'm also very proud to be supporting the charity. Thanks your Parents of Care Service. And yeah, people thought that brilliant. As try as I'm concerned that the program and the editors will only screen what people do and say. If you don't say and don't do it, they won't show it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting because you know, you've sort of touched on a few things there as a comedian, you've only ever really been able to sort of choose what you want to share with us. And by doing a show like this where it's kind of what's and all, and you're relinquishing the control of what people are going to say to some producers. Were you nervous and did you try and sense yourself at all when talking about really personal issues, because you did talk about them and that was kind of I think the mack of who you were in this show.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do appreciate that comment because I went in this show. I thought I was going to I thought I was going to be guarded. I thought I was going to not let my armor down. But when you're in a space where there are people around you who are respectful, who are asking questions that come from a good place, and when there is nothing to do, you do find yourself letting down your guard and being vulnerable. And I didn't expect it from me. That wasn't my plan, But you know, after a week, after three days in that space, I found myself being free because the others were also being free. I'm not sure if I've got to know Brittany very well, but most of the others I think I did get to know quite well. And I really appreciated the time that they gave me. And yeah, and they're listening is.
Speaker 1: Peter Diacos also mentioned to you that he very funny. He was being funny, very pay to Diacos, but he said, if you mentioned me in any of your comedy acts that his legal people will.
Speaker 2: Be onto you.
Speaker 1: Well I would want to know though, because I don't think Peter Daycos would even end up in your material. But if you started to think about how you're going to use this experience in your shows.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, then the only thing I was missing in that jungle was my dictive phone, or my my voice notes, my mobile phone, or a pen and a pad to write down note because I am I'm furiously just thinking right, well, that's a funny thing. I hope I remember that. But honestly, when I come back to Australia in a couple of days time, the show that I was planning to do will definitely change because I'll be revealing what and all. Who knows, I might even lose a few of the friends I've just made.
Speaker 2: You just got my you know what, I'm going to be really honest.
Speaker 1: Up until this point, I was like, you know, when you come to Melbourne, I'm going to come and see it. You know the way that you know your mates say that they're going to come and see the show. But now that you've said that, I am front row, I am top dollar.
Speaker 2: I want to be there things.
Speaker 3: It's going to be water and or people may be surprised because you know, I saw some things and I heard something, but I'm pretty certain didn't make the edit, And yeah, I wouldveal all.
Speaker 1: Do you know the only thing that I would say that you'd want to have a forever little porthole back into the jungle was to maybe watch Callum Hole showering every day. To me, that sounds like something I personally would never forget and be happy to have living rent free in my mind forever.
Speaker 3: Do you know what? Because I knew that he was banding there behind me a couple of times in the nude. I mean, I'm not that confident. I don't want to scare people, so I couldn't turn around. And I can imagine if I was nude in the shower with couple people at home watching, I'll probably take their eyes out. That's right, I'm veriod typed I can live with.
Speaker 1: Just before you go, I wanted to ask you with your experience of being here in Australia and doing so many comedy shows. Who are your mates in Australia that you've connected with in the comedy circuit, because you do all spend quite a lot of time together.
Speaker 2: Who are the ones that are continuing?
Speaker 3: He got so many good mates across the comedy scene. People think the comedians are very competitive, but you know what we're not. It's not a massive community and a lot of a lot of well known comics in Australia. I knew back in the UK when a lot of them were doing some stuff over there. So I will count Tom Gleeson as a friend if you Fanagan as a friend. Dave Hughes, Julia Morris, Dave Thornton in.
Speaker 1: The show, that's a good question to ask you did Julia? Did she pull a few strings? Is that how you ended up in this show?
Speaker 3: No? And I'm not even joking. A couple of weeks ago, I was well, a couple of weeks ago in Seidbury. I was in Adelaide and I saw Pete Elliott and I saw a nazine and I was definitely want to ask them at their experience of being in a jungle, but I couldn't, and you know, I couldn't think to Julia. I didn't want to give her a heads up. I didn't want to give me any chips, so I went in totally cold. But one of the biggest friend of mine right was hoping that maybe they'd featured some of it. In My Time in a Jungle was the lovely Cal Wilson, who was with me and was a very good support for me at a time in my life back ten years or when I needed it. And I know she had the jungle experience and the outpouring of love and grief when we lost Cow last year was just tepin. So what a beautiful soul she was and we will be sorely missed.
Speaker 2: And she always Yeah, she's immortalized.
Speaker 1: You know. You know, I've never you know, I've been in this industry for a very long time and I've met a lot of people, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad word about Cow. She knew everyone, She had a lot of face time with people. Anyway, So this is this podcast about you, my friend. This is all about doing. I need to finish off by asking who do you think is going to win? Not who you think, actually who do you want to win? I think that's a more interesting question.
Speaker 3: That's a very interesting question. I really would like two people to come out on top.
Speaker 2: No, we can't do that.
Speaker 3: I'll just go on. Yeah, okay, right, who do I want to win? I want Tristan to win.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, he's gone because I.
Speaker 3: Think he's such a genuine guy. What you see is what you get. He was dubbed the voice of reason in the jungle for a reason. Very calm, very good in a stressing situation. And a team leader as well. What a man, What a wonderful, wonderful man.
Speaker 1: I filmed a show once and I was in a green room with him for about two hours. You know when they put you in a green room forever when they're filming a TV show and you look at who's in the green room and you think, oh fuck, I've got to talk to this Person's bloody job for the next half now. Anyway, we were in there for ages while they were setting up. It was hughesy, we have a problem, so Dave Hughes's show. So I spent a name with Priston. This is about five years ago, mind you, and he was delightful and good to look at as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's a very lovely man and he let his hair go living shade and looks like a rugged James Bond. But I've got a feeling Australian might go for a big personality, you know, your callum and but you know, if there was any justice in the world, it'll go to Tristan.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, I have to wrap up. But the last thing I ask anyone who joins my podcast, and I'm so delighted. Let me tell you that you have been on my podcast. Like there's some people you think you'd never get the chance to speak to, so this is so exciting for me.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Ben, And honestly, Ben, I'm going to be in Melbourne in about three weeks. I'll do make sure we keep in touch somehow, and you have to come to the gig. I will, as you said, be in the front row and I'll tend some secrets after after.
Speaker 1: The show, I'm taking you out for a drink, buddy. But yeah, I think that I'm taking you up on that offer. But just before you go, what is something from behind the scenes of what it's like to be a celebrity that gets asked to do the show? Now, I'm fully aware that you don't know what we have seen, but what about something that is kind of like a behind the scenes secret of when you get asked to do this.
Speaker 3: Show, well, when you get asked to do a show like this, a couple of things go through your mind. You think, a hy is there's some sort of secret plan? Do you want to expose you for something? And then you've kind of think it's a challenge. What a challenge it would be to go into a situation where you are devoid on any electronics, no word from the outside world, from friends or family or news. Can you cope? Can you cope surviving on the basic that we need to divide, basic food, basic sleeping conditions, at one with nature? Can you do it? Does no matter what age you are. And if you can do that, you can do.
Speaker 2: Anything that is amazing? And you, my friend, amazing.
Speaker 1: You are now an Australian legend, a global legend before, but now an Australian legend. And I think everyone has opened their hearts to you. And I really can't wait to see what doors open for you from this experience because I kind of feel like, out of everyone in there, you have the most to offer and you're going to be welcomed the most, if that's possible.
Speaker 3: Well, that's such a lovely thing to say, and thank you very much. I wrote said I tried to be my authentic self. I don't normally have an opportunity to open up like I did on this program. And I'm so grateful to the producers and the behind the tunes folks who let that happen, because, as I say, I've got no idea what they showed. And you know, after three days, you cannot be anything but be yourself, and if that showed, I am very humble and grateful for the opportunity to speak for the charity that I was rooting for. And a long may this continued, of.
Speaker 1: Course, you know, I mean, you could have taken a lot of people out of the show and it would have been the same show. But I will finish on saying it wouldn't have been the same series with Andrew, So thank you. I have to let you go because they're going to shove you on a car and take you somewhere else, hopefully without a blindfold, and hopefully somewhere where they're going to give you something good date.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Ben, and I'll see raised in a seat
Speaker 2: Think, take care of yourself.