Speaker 1: My name's Aatasha Bamblet. I'm a proud First Nations woman and I'm here to acknowledge country t Glenn Young Ganya nianar Kaka yah y and beIN Ahaka nian Our gay In Mbina, yakarum Jar, Dominyama, Domaghawaka Woman, Damon Imlan Bomber bang Gadabomba in and now in wakah Ghana on yak rum Jar water Nadaa. Hello, beautiful friends, we gather on the lands of the Aboriginal people. We thank acknowledge and respect the Abiginal people's land that we're gathering on today. Take pleasure in all the land and respect all that you see. She's on the Money podcast acknowledges culture, country, community and connections, bringing you the tools, knowledge and resources for you to thrive.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that lets you be pervy about other people's money habits for educational purposes, of course. Welcome back to another episode of Money Diaries, where I get the absolute pleasure of chatting to one of our incredible Shees on the Money community members all about their journey let's jump straight into it, because this week I got an email and it sounded exactly like this. Hi, she's on the money. I am our woman working in the male dominated area of security. I didn't set out to work in this field, but when my husband saw a gap in the industry, especially the lack of women, we knew we had to do something about it. Together, we built a successful business that not only provides exceptional security services, but creates opportunities for women in this space. I've seen firsthand how this work can boost confidence, leadership skills, and self belief, and I'm passionate about helping more women step into that power. I'd love to share what this journey has meant for me. Moneyed Diarist, Welcome to the show. I am so excited about this. I feel like I don't work in security, but like we're both about empowering women to step into their power, and like that means we're on the same page.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 3: I love this. So as always, before we dive into getting to ask the juicy questions, I want to know what grade would you give your money habits from A through to F If I asked you to give them a grade?
Speaker 4: Oh, I would give myself a B minus. It's still a work in progress.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, let's learn a little bit more about that money, darist. Can you tell me a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 4: Sure? So, growing up, money wasn't something we talked about in our family. My parents came from very humble beginnings. They each had twelve to thirteen siblings. Wow, I know, it was insane. So not surprisingly they stuck with two children.
Speaker 3: They were like, we are not signed up for that rodeo exactly.
Speaker 4: So they provided the essentials, you know, putting us through school, but there was no money knowledge and so and when my dad had stopped working, it was pretty much, you know, just getting by. So my attitude towards money was very cautious, and I had no idea about creating wealth. Yeah, so then I met my husband. How'd you meet your husband? We have to know the jucy details, like we're just girls, all right. He's an entrepreneur, and you know, he came from a family of successful business owners. So that really helped me see money and business through a new lens. So I would watch him from the sidelines while I stayed in my depressing nine to five job, and I just I was observing just how his lifestyle was different to mine, even though we were married, right, you.
Speaker 3: Lived under the same roof.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was getting up in the morning, miserable, ready to go to work, and he was just so switched on. He'd be executing ideas with ease. I would just witness this level of freedom, both financially and time wise, even though he was so busy. He just had this flexibility that I didn't have being in a full time nine to five job. So, yeah, just seeing that difference really made me want to come into that. But I had so much fear in built in me because I didn't have those beginnings I had. You know, I wasn't scared of the level of hard work that would come with it or being very busy. It was just the fear of my own capabilities. Am I capable of doing this? What if I fail? I'm not used to this idea. I wasn't raised on this. So you start making up those excuses that because you didn't have that foundation, that you couldn't possibly get into this fold of the business world. But as soon as I recognized that my nine to five was actually bringing me down and affecting my health, I really had to make a change, and so I had missed the fear and the uncertainty. I took that leap and I went into business with my husband, and at that time he had recognized early on that there was a need for women in security. So I went and got my license and I was doing casual shifts here and there. It was a little bit daunting for me because I think that old way of thinking, with that perspective of only men should be doing security, or you have to be a certain size you know, I'm quite a smaller size frame, So it was a little bit intimidating at first, to be honest, and having to deal with intoxication and all of those kind of extreme situations is a little bit daunting at first. But my husband was there guiding me, obviously, making sure it was a safe space and that we had a very type team every time we worked together through COVID. When COVID hit, we actually set ourselves down south so the southwest of Wa. When the borders were closed, everyone started traveling and driving down south to the southwest of Wa for their holidays, so that place was flourishing when the city was closed down. So we built our security business through there, and we worked very closely together, and that's when I really learned a lot, not just about security, but about myself. He taught me about men, you know, and their behavior, and I was really able to navigate big crowds and different personalities. And I just developed so much in that space of time through that guidance and doing that work ongoingly, and it just it lit something in me and I just wanted to carry on with that. So I'm in this zone now where I'm leveling up and I'm actually taking a direction towards empowerment and purpose now, so it's not just building the security business. I'm actually wanting to take this into a level of conversation and empowerment towards women in security because reflecting on it, I have developed so much in myself and I've overcome so many fears and built so much confidence in dealing with people and odd behaviors. You know, I think a lot of the time we can avoid certain behaviors. You know, we might just go, oh, just you know, just cut that person out of our life, but at some point you still have to deal with it. So if you know how to navigate it, then you can You're just going to be better and better each time. So I'm now in this direction of wanting to become a speaker and empower women alongside building the security business.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's cool. I love that. So tell me now, obviously you own a security company and work as a security Is it a security guard? Is that what you would say? Like, how do I explain your job?
Speaker 4: So there's a number of different services. So you've got your security guard, You've got crowd control, you've got personal security, patrols, asset protection, so we cover all of that. Wow. Yeah, it's quite broad.
Speaker 3: So that's not just like I'm assuming it's like, you know, if a festival happens, then call you up and be like, hey, we need security for the festival. But like, tell me a bit more about like the personal security, because I'm assuming that's a bit bougier, Like that sounds fancy, Like if you're asking for personal security, you're probably like someone very high profile.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do get called for those type of jobs. Close personal protection is very different and it takes a certain level of skill and thankfully I got to do quite a bit of that in the beginning. I know you said it's bougie and I can see this perspective of that, but I guess I'm still in that work zine way totally.
Speaker 3: It's like when people think that my job's like super glamorous, They're like, oh my goodness, a podcast that must be so glamorous, And I'm like, babe, I'm not wearing any shoes right now. You know, my dog's on the floor. I've just eaten four mini size mass bars. Like it's not as fancy as it looks, but like, I mean, when you like showcase a job, you go, that's pretty fancy, right, Like it's the shiny parts of other people's roles, right.
Speaker 4: It's so true, and I get that, I really do. But there's so much work involved because you're the one that's on the front line and you need to make sure that that client and I will just say client, it doesn't matter who they are, whether they're a dignitary or if they're a celebrity, they still need that level of care and privacy. You know, you can't be you know, on the job and trying to take selfies with this person is completely unprofessional.
Speaker 3: You couldn't hire me, Like I don't want to take selfies with people, but like just blacklist to me from your company now, because I'd want to know all their gossip, Like I'd be in the car with them and I'd be like eavesdropping on all their conversations, Like I couldn't control myself. You're a better per something I could ever be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely a skill. You do have to shift your perspective, you know, and I suppose once you do it more regularly, you do see them as a client and you just want to please that client and make sure that you've delivered a service, that you've represented your company and yourself and ultimately they're they're happy and they're safe, you know, because that's the objective of our role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, all right, So how much do you get paid in a role like this? So do you mean in as a guard or no you in general?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I will say that our business is in the seven figures.
Speaker 3: That's very cool. And is that all reinvested into your business or do you guys get to take home a lot of that? Like what does that split look like?
Speaker 4: The split? I think it's fair, But we do reinvest a lot into the business because that's the main way to really level up. So anything anything that we are spending on ourselves is ideally going to give us a return on the business. But you know, we do make sure that we pay ourselves first, you know, and just cover the expenses that we need to live. But ultimately the larger expenses are reinvested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. So talk to me about big money goals, like what are you currently working towards.
Speaker 4: So I am working towards incorporating a training division within the security business, and that would ultimately bring in more females into this fold of this male dominated industry and just opportunities to empower and to build confidence. I can see myself and a lot of women, both mums and the younger women coming out of high school where you don't know what you're doing, you don't really know where you want to go. And that's how I ended up in that, you know, sort of nine to five office job was just sort of just I need some stability until I work out what I want to do. But I really really feel like the tools that you're given through working and security can help you in your entire life. You know, you're learning to set boundaries, You're learning to recognize people's behavior before something escalates. And then de escalation methods as well. So those kind of things can really play out in your life. And I just feel like it's leveling up your life. And I think if you get that early on, you can really do a lot with your goals successfully, but also avoid a lot of unsafe situations you know that people can get themselves into.
Speaker 3: Totally. I love that for you. And on a personal side, do you like buying property? Are you saving for retirement?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What does that look like?
Speaker 4: We are saving up for a house. So we've avoided any big debts and we've paid off any smaller ones, so we're doing pretty well. But yeah, ultimately to get the dream home, but we want to be able to pay out. We don't want to take on any debt, so we're just working towards that for our dream home and property maybe overseas as well we're looking at So, yeah.
Speaker 3: That is very fancy. What do you mean property overseas?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that buying a villa in Bali? Is that buying a whole resort in Italy? Like? What where are we going? What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Specifically? It would be a home in Portugal?
Speaker 3: Oh, bouhie, I did not see that coming. So like, guys, when she said seven figures, she means like good seven figures, Like people don't just buy their homes outright and then have a holiday home in Portugal. Like I feel like that escalated pretty rapidly.
Speaker 4: We love that place. I highly highly recommend that place, like I.
Speaker 3: Love that for you. This is goals. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. I've got a lot of questions for you. I want to talk about your take on debt. I want to talk about investments and your best and worst money habits. So guys that don't go anywhere, all right, money dirist, We are back, and I want to talk about investing. As a business owner, your bus guest investment is very likely to be your business, so talk to me about your thoughts on investing, like how you're reinvesting into your business. But then also are you investing outside of your business?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so investing within the business. We've also got a safety division, so we're purchasing products in line with safety and we're incorporating that into the security business as well, so that we can offer our clients not just security services, but now we've got safety products. So we've sort of gone into that as well in terms of investment. Just recently we've been doing some speaking courses to really get out there and promote ourselves into to bigger client tele and to do a lot more in terms of training and inductions with our staff too, also offering training to our client cients who might want to train up their staff de escalation methods within the bar industry as well, So that's another thing that we're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very cool. And like if we look at I guess investment from the perspective of you being able to buy home in Portugal and pay for your home outright and retire comfortably, how are you guys working towards that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got a few little side hustles, but it's just flipping a few things here and their marketplace. We're just really really good with saving little things. So that's all just building up. And so after we pay ourselves what we need to sort of get by anything that we work additionally, or anything we get from marketplace sales or anything of the sort, or if we sell something through the business, it all goes into one sort of big savings account and that's when we might buy something else and flip it and then make money on that and just builds over time. So it's something that we just want to sit on and just let it grow. That's where we're going with that is kind of yeah, it's a safe, quiet option, all right.
Speaker 3: Tell me a little bit more about debt. So at the start of the episode we were talking about like you purchasing your dream home. I want to know more about that, but also why you're adverse to taking on a mortgage for a property purchase.
Speaker 4: Well, we've just gone through a few things over the years where we've you know, we've seen you know, different businesses be affected by different things and COVID all of those factors, and having debt was a real burden, you know, even if it's a small debt, we've seen it with other people as well, and we just we don't want to take that on. And now that we've got my son, you know, he's three years old, now, okay, it really shifts the way you think of things. So it's particularly in the last three years that we've been very okay, we do not want to hold this debt. We don't want to have any debts. So let's work on it now so that by the time he's in school. You know, we can have established ourselves with zero debt, with a home and you know, just move forward.
Speaker 3: How close are we to achieving that goal?
Speaker 4: I would say a quarter of the way.
Speaker 3: That's exciting though, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how fun?
Speaker 3: All right, So tell me a little bit more about this debt side of things. When you say, oh, we don't really want to take on debt, is that just like personal debts that you're like, oh, well, we don't know. If you know, we went through COVID again and no one could work. We don't want to have personal debts we had to pay off or is that stretching into business, Like, tell me a bit more about how that works.
Speaker 4: We don't have any personal credit cards. We've just avoided taking on any debts. So say, for example, if we needed to buy a car, you know, we would look at ways to or you know, we would look at the savings and what we can accumulate. How much do we need to have the balance of the total of that car so that we can just buy it out right? And that's what we've done. We don't get loans on the cars, we don't get credit cards. So yeah, that's that's how we're just looking at it. It's like, if we can avoid it, and if we've got a lump sum of money, let's work around that lump sum of money. And anything that comes up as well, you know, whether it's insurance or things. We avoid those repayment plans where you might accumulate more interest and pay things outright. We just would prefer to pay things outright and then we don't have to think about it anymore.
Speaker 3: No, that makes absolute sense. It sounds like you're a super savvy saver. So what do you think is your best money habit?
Speaker 4: My best money habit, I would just say what we're doing at the moment is paying yourself first for the essentials, and then any extra income or anything that you flip, you just put into savings and just let that accumulate. And it's always that savings account that we will look back on and go, Okay, what do we need to buy upfront at the moment, whether it's an investment or if it's a vehicle or whatever it is that's sitting there. You know, it's just accumulating, you know, some great interest you haven't touched because it's in a completely separate account. So it's not being factored into your weekly expenses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that makes total sense. But what do you think is your worst money have it?
Speaker 4: Because I'm on this journey of self development, my worst money havebit is if I'm online and I see a great course or I see you know, a great roadmap or something that's going to be very helpful for me in my journey, I tend to just click and buy. Yeah, so that's my worst money is that I end up doing that. And it's great if I use it, but you know, to be honest, half of the time it's sitting.
Speaker 3: In my inboss and then you're like, oh, I can't. I don't have time for that. I'll get to it one time, and then you forget about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have been there, absolutely, especially when they're so good at like the marketing and branding, and I'm like, oh my god, this is going to be the thing, this is going to be fantastic, and then you get it and you're like, oh damn, damn, I could have done that myself.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a great idea at one in the morning when.
Speaker 3: You're scroll one hundred, no way, So get that all right? Tell me at the start of this episode, you said, I reckon, I'm a B minus. But you've told us that you've built an epic business, and you know, you and your husband are working towards buying your dream home completely outright and then one day having a holiday home in Portugal, which would be very very cool. But you said, I'm a B minus. What would it take to get to being like an A plus in your books?
Speaker 4: I think it would be. Actually, you know, now that I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: It, you're pretty good at money. Hey, I'm like, where's this B minus come from? Girlfriend?
Speaker 4: I mean, when you say it out loud, Yeah, it's very different, you know, so I have to give yeah, I have to give us more credit than that, you know. And I think you know, if I were to rate it again, yeah, I would be on the you know, a A minus.
Speaker 3: See, I reckon, you're doing so well, and it sounds like you guys are like, okay, cool, We've got this strategy. This is what we're going to do, this is how we're going to do it. I love it. It's been very fun. I mean, I don't think I'll ever be in a situation where I can buy a holiday home in Portugal that would be elite but I adore that. I got to learn about your story and what you're getting up to and how you're absolutely killing it, especially because you want to just I don't know what you want to do is so important, Like boosting confidence on leadership skills and self belief for women is so important, and we are definitely on the same page about that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I love that.
Speaker 3: Adore, Well, thank you so much for joining us for a money diary. It has been an absolute pleasure, and I just know people are going to be listening to this being like Wow, she's so cool, like that is an elite money story. So I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, wonderful, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: If I shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDSTM D and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money sherper P T Y L T D A B N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight A F s L four five one two eight nine