Speaker 1: Welcome to them, Christian No Common Show podcast. So, how many of you have ever thought about doing stand up comedy and then your very next thought is, oh, my god, it'll be terrifying I die up there. It will kill me, it will destroy me, it will crush me or break my heart. That's a conversation a lot of people have in their heads. Isn't it about stand up when you're not just watching it laughing along thinking I'd love to do that? Is that it is a great feeling. And you've all had this when you're with your friends and you make them laugh. Everyone's had that experience, right, whether it's in the office or over a couple of drinks with family, with friends, and it's one of the best feelings in the world is to hear laughter, right. It just this. It's why stand up comedies are one of the biggest sort of art forms in the world and one of the biggest Netflix shows, and they pay people like Ricky Gervais and de Chappelle millions to have an hour long stand up special on there. There's something really amazing about the sound of laughter when you can create it. And you would have done this in your life when you're incredibly relaxed. It actually just happens. You don't even think about what did I just say? It just came to you, didn't it. The words they all just came together, and it's like it came through you. And then the thought of like, oh, on a manute, how the hell do I make that happen in a room? And then I'm really really nervous. I don't suddenly feel remotely funny. And now I'm annoyed that I've actually even got into this situation where I'm going to get up there and do it, and what will I say? So I think there's a lovely Tibetan thought where they always say first thought, best thought, because we're often in life. I'd love to do that. Then you have all these other thoughts that get in the way, and that's fear, isn't it holding you back? I just think, do you know what? Mel who works on the show, said to me Friday that she really wants to give stand up comedy a go, but she was frightened about heckled. It will just be too much for her. So I said, what about if I host tonight and we hire a pub and the audience are there, and there are lovely, big hearted listeners, which we know you all are. And there's one golden rule. You don't heckle anyone who's coming up because you respect what it is they're doing and what giant their little steps to get up to that look stage. But they're really really big steps, and often it's only a little steps sometimes going from fear to join happiness. It's a scene in your life, that's what it is. And I think one day, if you're lucky, you'll be looking back on what you did for those highlights, those scenes in your life, and the only highlights you will have on there. There are things that you said yes to even if you didn't know. You couldn't guarantee how it was going to go because you wouldn't get married. The overwhelming odds are it won't work out. We all know how many couples end up breaking up, getting divorced. You wouldn't get married, you wouldn't have kids, because that will break your heart as well. That's hard as well as joyful as well. So I heard you. If you've really thought about it, come and do it. Email me, call me. I'd a lovely email from a guy yesterday evening who literally been having almost like a heckling conversation with himself, just simply saying, bloody, el is taking me all day just to sum up the courage to send you this email. But what the hell, Life's too short for regrets. I'd love to give it a go. They go, Shane Faulkner, well done. That's the kind of and we want, right someone who's just a bit curious at the moment. And please don't see it that you have to be brilliant up there. You have to be amazing up there. I can't do stand up that way. I can't do this radio show this week. You can't do any anything like that. You simply just have to go up there and tell us a story. And we will help you find that story. I will. I'm literally going to clear time after the show. We will help you find the story. We're coaching through how you actually tell us story, and give you some little skills that you can use up there. And I tell you one thing, I guarantee that when you come off stage, you feel amazing. You really did something that ninety nine point nine nine nine nine percent of the world are terrified of. It's always number one, it's number one ahead of dying is a fear of public speaking, right, and you're going to go and do it. And I'm going to put on a night where people want to come along. They will want you to do well. Everyone that I think has got a good story in them, at least we hear them every day on the show. So who is interested in a moment and all we got a bit at the moment is curious. Don't start to thinking I don't even know what the story is. We can out with that. Nine one four, one oh four three up first this morning, very excited by this, Gus. Good morning, Good, good morning, Christian. How are you now, Gus? I got your email yesterday. You're fifteen, is that right?
Speaker 2: I'm fifteen?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: And you're interested in doing standup comedy?
Speaker 2: I have always, ever since I can remember, I love loved comedy like It's something that I love so much. And you know, if I had the opportunity to give it a go, you know that'd be a dream come true to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And what kind of comedians or comedy shows do you like, Gus?
Speaker 2: I loved Ricky, I love RICHI Davais, I idolize him. I love his stand up comedy shows. And his shows. I think he's a genius.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is. Yeah, he's a brilliant standard commit You've got good standards and good taste already, Gus. And what kind of thing do you think you would talk about? Gus? At fifteen, would you talk about your life at school? And mom and dad?
Speaker 2: Would I would think so. I think i'd talk about my life at school and some other interesting stories. I've moved schools eight times, so I've got a bit of a bit of experience. I've got some interesting stories, and I would think that I'm a funny person and I'd love to give this a guy to be awesome.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you one thing you are. You're a natural talker, Gus. You're very very good. Are you really fifteen? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was fifteen year ten?
Speaker 1: You could actually just be a DJ. Just hear you chat. You've got more presence than I do.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 2: That means a lot, mate.
Speaker 1: You notice he didn't say no. I like the confidence there and the swagger. You need a bit of that Gus as wells Can I just ask you? Why have you moved school eight times? What's happened? Have you been thrown out?
Speaker 2: I've lived in many different places, and.
Speaker 1: All right, James Bond, this is incredible, Gus. I think you're the kind of person that we need on there. Gus, I'd love to have you as part of this.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, it'd be awesome great, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so you off to school now, Gus.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Yes, thanks Christian, Thanks, thank you for your time. Christian.
Speaker 1: All right, if you want to come and join no night nine four one four one I four three first thought, best thought, don't overthink it. If you're interested, that's it. Just call me nowto Christian O'Connell Show podcast. Do you want to come and join us? Then I'll be hosting it. Ja's gonna do a spot as well. The rest of the spots will be you. If you've ever thought about doing stand up comedy, let that be the only thought you need. Pick up the phone. Email me if you want today, Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com dot AU A night where there's one golden rule, there's no heckling. We're gonna host it. We'll find a little pub the next two weeks. The audience will be on your side. We will help you out with your set that you'll perform. Who wants to give it a go? Who wants to have an adventure up there? You know what's nothing worse some nice When you see a friend and they go, what are you mean up to you? You go, oh, not really, but as if you go, oh, I didn't stand up comedy, then I'm like, they're gonna go You're gonna be a hero. They go, what when did that happen? You've already got a story. They won't even care about whether or not you did well. You did stand up comedy, and you can tell them what story work and what it was all like. They're actually jenious you managed to do something like that. Nine four one for one oh four three. Good morning Sue, Good morning Christian. All right, Sue, So tell us about yourself first, Sue, What do you do? Sue?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a professional. I've got a doctorate in philosophy. So i can't tell you exactly what I do because i'm a professional and I have to represent these two places.
Speaker 5: I work on my own.
Speaker 3: Business and one is for a well known university. I can't do my brand because I have to be professional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you've got a job like that and you've got to perform it to a certain level. There's I guess no outlet you know for human mucking around.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean my students and I'm we muck around quite a lot because we work with kids. When where I work with people who are going to work with kids, and so we do play and we do muck around.
Speaker 6: But there's no space for dark humor, gotcha?
Speaker 1: And so you've always stands a given, stand up a go. Uh.
Speaker 3: It was only when I was listening to you yesterday, really, Christian, I guess it just struck a chord. It was. It was that moment of inspiration where I went, oh my gosh, this could be my outlet. I just I was listening to you, and I'm like, I've been searching for something. I spent my life helping people and doing awesome stuff and giving back to the community because I'm such a privileged white Anglo Celtic woman that I had a great life. But you know, when I want to get into that dark kind of Judas Lucy kind of before her kind of jam, I'm not allowed to do it.
Speaker 1: Great, Well, it sounds like you do need an outlet for that soup. All right, Well, Sue, thank you very much for finding the courage to actually give us a call come on the show today.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, good and hey, Gus is awesome fifteen.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, all right. So at the moment then what we're doing is we're just chatting to people who were interested in the moment where we try and sort of look at numbers and stuff like that. But Sue, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and my nubby, love you.
Speaker 6: Nubby, my nubby compass over an espresso any or a breakfast juice and in different times, what's Christians?
Speaker 1: Gotcha?
Speaker 3: He's my non hubby, right yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I don't know, We've got a lot of work to do with some of these people. They're all okay, we are so cooling, they're very very well. Maybe that isn't the closer, the whole nubby bit, you know, we lose that, We lose that closer, all right, Debbie, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Debbie, Good morning, Christian.
Speaker 5: How are you today?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Debbie. Why don't you tell us about yourself? Dips?
Speaker 5: All right, Well, I'm a street I think comedy is something always enjoyed.
Speaker 1: We couldn't hear the beginning bit, mate, Sorry, I don't know if it's your phone connection round a bit, but we missed out the start, so well, sorry, that's your fault. I think it was just yes, So tell us take you from the top. Then who are you?
Speaker 5: Okay? So I'm a grandmother of three grandchildren. I am in my six years. The only public speaking I've done is like back in the day, like a topwear lady, you know some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my mom used to go to all those tupperware parties.
Speaker 4: And I have worked in the veterinary industry and I'll currently work in a hospital of work you need to. And I have lots of really funny stories that I think will make people laugh and you will have yeah, And I enjoy making people laugh. And there's nothing better than a good belly laugh. So when I heard you guys talking about.
Speaker 3: I reckon that might be a bit of fun.
Speaker 6: I reckon I could get that a crack.
Speaker 1: You will be able to give it a crack. I can tell you you're going to smash it. You're going to join You're so like you. I like you, Ready, you cheer this up. I'll tell you what. Those tupperware ladies are pretty tough crowds. If you can deal right with the Tupperware ladies are one of those. You'll be fine in a comedy club. Trust me, that's going to be a cakewalk for you. Afterwards, you want a little bit of commission on the side. Say you listen, I'll be down the downstairs and the bar sitting tupperware.
Speaker 5: That's a good idea.
Speaker 1: Well listen, you know what you you sound like you've got. I bet you've got loads of great stories that you've had, a proper stuff. You've got stuff that is tying to be shared.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Debbie, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to hire you right now. You're on the bill.
Speaker 5: My goodness, Oh wow, awesome, thank you so much, Christian, you're.
Speaker 1: On the lineup. Yep, Debbie, you're going to do really well. Okay, we'll be in touch. But you.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you so much. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Day yay up, Aware, I'll speak to you later. Bye. This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast