Speaker 1: Funnily enough, something I want to talk about today is parenting. And I say that's funny because I don't have kids. I don't parent. But there was a post that sort of got my attention online from this woman. Her name is on Instagram k d Kasa. She is seventy thousand followers, so she has a little bit of a following there, and she posted something that has taken off and got millions of views and sparked a huge debate online about parenting styles and can you parent or slash punish your children for negative behavior with exercise. Now, she's put a photo up and her son is outside running on like beautiful manicured lawn, and she has said, you talk back, laps, you hit your sister laps, you don't put your shoes on when asked, barefoot sprints bro. Obviously that's a bit of a joke, but it sparked this huge debate on if your child is messing up, is it okay for the punishment instead of go sit in the corner or you're grounded or sitting in your room, is it okay for the punishment to be like, hey, you're going to go cut a lap of the house you're gonna go cut a lap of the yard, You're gonna do twenty pushups or whatever it is, it's okay to bring exercise into When.
Speaker 2: You say that, there was heaps of comments like what was the general consensus in the comments section?
Speaker 1: Two thousands thousands for it?
Speaker 2: Against it?
Speaker 1: No, both, No, A lot of people saying you can't punish your children with that, that like you're doing the wrong thing. You're giving them a negative association with exercise. And then a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Say, maybe that's probably a fair point.
Speaker 1: Well no, because I thought of when I read through it, I'm sort of pro that this is okay. And the reason I say that is she had to keep amending her as it grew to millions of followers. She kept amending her statement about what she would, her thoughts and why she thinks it's okay. And she's like, think about when you are anxious or when you have built up energy or whatever it is, when you go in exercise, it releases and doorphins, it becomes positive and you feel good. She's like, this, this is as much as them, these kids going to burn off some energy so that they can be better behaved. As it is about learning some discipline and structure.
Speaker 2: What do you think I think when it comes to discipline, I put that in like you know, a quotation marks. The reason why people get so angry is because they think of the most extreme version, like if you're if Lola hits her sister and I'm like, Lola, you know, go outside and run around the backyard and come back inside. I mean, what's the difference between that and saying, Lola, you can have a time out.
Speaker 3: Taking some calls here at the pickup, give us a buys Crystal's call. What are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 4: I think absolutely not. I don't want my kids to think that if they do something wrong, I'm going to just throw them outside and make them run around. I think that there's better way to teach your kids.
Speaker 2: What do you do though, when they do something wrong? How do you do it?
Speaker 4: I sit down and I chat to them about it and enforced boundaries and things like that. But I definitely would not punish my kids by making them do exercise or be like drop and give me twenty No way, I think I would.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think it's later. I think it really is the easy way out for parents. Jamie's joined us Hi, what's your thoughts on this? Jamie High?
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, my dad did it with me and my siblings when we were younger, and I do it with my girls now with my husband. Were you were a basketball family, we were made to run suicides whenever we misbehaved.
Speaker 1: And what's your relationship with exercise now that he made you do that?
Speaker 5: Amazing? We walk every day, we run and I leave about ten houses from my parents.
Speaker 1: So I grew up like this too. But it wasn't never framed as a punishment, And I think that's the thing. I think it's like my parents would be like this, four of us kids eighteen months apart. They'd be like, you guys are doing my heading. You're mucking up. Go burn some energy, get outside, come back in an hour, go play, go ride your bike. And the fact is half the time it fixes the problem because you do have energy to burn.
Speaker 3: It's a parent based.
Speaker 5: On the kid.
Speaker 3: You know, if you've got a feit, a kid boy running around a fairy suit, I mean, for God's sake, don't make him do laps. I hate you for it. Speaking for personal experience.
Speaker 2: All right, well, look coming up, As everybody knows, there was some pretty big news that came out this morning, which is Biden has pulled out of the race for running for president. But I got myself into a bit of trouble on the weekend because I read a headline that wasn't true.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's eggs on the pickup.