Speaker 1: My Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app with Brittle.
Speaker 2: And Laura Bird Radio. What Our Windows?
Speaker 3: That's my world, Risen the dust only good fab Dougle.
Speaker 2: I've done much, but yeah I'm.
Speaker 3: Not our big get and what I want it don't matter where goes.
Speaker 2: This is the pick up, Hi, guys, it's the pickup. We've bred Hockey and Laura Bird. What are you laughing?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Nothing?
Speaker 1: Something I was thinking about though. I recently came across this reel that when.
Speaker 2: We want to stop starting.
Speaker 3: A reel that went viral.
Speaker 1: That's all I do is spend my time on Instagram doom scrolling Mom and Mia, who are quite a big podcast producer. They recently posted a little video and it was about smelling ants. I have a question for you, brit If it ant gets crushed near you, or like you step on an ant, or like you kill an ant by accident.
Speaker 2: Can you smell it? Not?
Speaker 1: Like can you smell any odor being emitted from the ant?
Speaker 2: But I don't crush an ant near my face.
Speaker 1: No, But it doesn't matter, like if you could.
Speaker 3: If I walked on an ant and crushed it I would smell it from upright.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or if you were sitting down at a picnic or something and you crushed an ant by accident, and you have you ever smelt like a weird smell coming from an ant?
Speaker 2: No, but this is all weird common No. Then the thing is is you can't smell ants? Oh no, what have I got to do?
Speaker 1: So apparently this is like the most useless superpower that there is. And there are some people in the world who can smell ants, and there are some people who can't. And I can smell ants, And I always thought ants smell awful if they're being stepped on, and everyone can smell them. But apparently it's only twenty percent of the population can smell ant.
Speaker 3: So if you're walking down the street, you're just walking, there's a little ant trail you step on and keep walking.
Speaker 2: You snow.
Speaker 1: For example, like if I'm out in the backyard playing with the girls, like on the courtyard area, and I'm sitting on the ground and I put my hand down and I've squished an ant on my hand.
Speaker 2: And then you smell your hair.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, even if I brush it off, I'm not sniffing hair. Sniff I can smell it, like if it's crushed on me or near me. The smell is so pungent and like peppery and weird.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tuk me through this. Is there a point? No?
Speaker 3: Okay, great, just wanted to check if there was a purpose to that. I'm glad that you can smell ants, lore am I.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for you. You don't want to talk about ant sniffing. No, I'm good. You're just jealous because I'm more superior. I have so much fomo.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sure you guys just heard that we are supposed to be talking about married at first signe and how all the contestants just got their phones back.
Speaker 3: But more pressing news has just made itself known and we do need to break it down.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so we were talking about sniffing ants before hear me out. Things are not Things are not as rogue as what you might think they are.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be known for that. Laura was talking about sniffing ants. Brittany most certainly was not.
Speaker 1: So there is a thing going around currently online which is the fact that some people can smell ants and like the acid that they emit if they've been stepped on or crushed other people can't. Apparently only twenty percent of the population can smell ants.
Speaker 2: So then that happened. We talked about that already.
Speaker 1: We left that go because we were gonna then talk about Siena and whoever else a, Feena and everyone else who married at first sights, who got their phones back and have been texting and showing all of there been unveiling stuff on Instagram.
Speaker 2: No one cares. You can get that information anywhere.
Speaker 1: What you can't get from anywhere is what we talked about in the break just then, and that is that Brittany can't smell the rain.
Speaker 2: That's not no. The more important part of this is I said I can't smell rain.
Speaker 3: I got a beuse hurled at me by everyone in this room saying, yes I can. Every single human can smell rain, and I said, no, they can't produce a grace. You did some googling there, What did you come up with about rain smelling?
Speaker 2: Uh? Not, everyone can smell the rain. I am thank you sent into orbit. I am on another planet. Now you can also call me Katy Perry.
Speaker 1: So the smell of rain is the word for it is called petrocor I thought it was literally a basic human joy. I thought every single person it was like watching a sunset sniff in the rain. Answer, it's not a pleasant smell. So I don't think you should be jealous about that one. If you can't smell the rain, that to me is absolutely shocking.
Speaker 2: I'm doing okay, though, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're gonna no, we're gonna end this conversation. You're gonna need to book yourself in the therapy. The fact that you've missed out on this your whole life is insane to me.
Speaker 2: We are of equal success here.
Speaker 3: And I've also grown up not smelling rain, like it hasn't altered my life's journey.
Speaker 2: But you haven't felt true joy passion. I don't know what happened. I don't know if this happened off the back of COVID.
Speaker 3: I have been able to start smelling it loosely the last couple of years, so like, I get something and it's still a new thing, and I'm like, is that the rain?
Speaker 2: So I think I'm smelling it?
Speaker 1: So you've gained powers post COVID, because most people lost their powers post COVID. It's like this really earthy, rich muddy smell, but it's it's nice. I know I'm not describing it well, but it smells beautiful.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know something else? Crazy? Oh god, do you know that there are some people.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it's call produced grace get on the Google people that.
Speaker 2: Like hear color like every like that cough, that cough. I'm getting green gunk. I'm getting green gunk. Maybe I have whatever it is. Maybe I'm getting chest infection, getting flu. It's called synesthesia. Oh synesthesia, Okay, I did think it was that, but I think.
Speaker 3: I think for example, like so people can hear a color, like someone's voice can.
Speaker 2: Have a color.
Speaker 3: I think mine would be like floral pink. Like you ask what I'm saying, like it's like it's in your face?
Speaker 2: What do you reply?
Speaker 1: I have seen this before, And there's a little boy online who does this and like every so like every key on a piano has a different color attached to it. And that was how they found out that he sees the same colors.
Speaker 2: And in the comment section, what was really interesting is.
Speaker 1: That there were heaps of other people who had this same I don't know what you'd call it, it's not condition not a disorder, but just way of I guess perceived in the world. So he would be like, oh, there, you know, E on a piano is green to me and B is blue. And people in the comments were who also had whatever the word is. I'm not going to pretend like a thank you, Yeah, exactly that one, Britt. They also were seeing the identical color that he was seeing for their own hearing.
Speaker 2: So it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: I'm I don't know how I feel about it, but producer Grace is telling us that's enough of.
Speaker 1: Everybody who can't smell rain or smell ants.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, you know whatever, Laura.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you have ever had like a horror housemate story, but there is an article online that is absolutely sending me. There's a twenty four year old guy that says that his roommate, the roommate from hell, went into the fridge and stole.
Speaker 2: His cake, like a whole cake, a piece.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I want to eat this cake.
Speaker 3: It's not wine. I'm going to eat it anyway. I'm going to ignore everything else and eat it.
Speaker 2: Why was the cake in his room? It was in the fridge.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, it was a room mate the cake wasn't under the bed like he said.
Speaker 1: He went into his room and took his cake, and I was like, weird place to keep your cake.
Speaker 3: Path Okay, well just stay with me. So his roommate's gone and stolen the cake. Turns out is allergic to something in the cake. He had like a full blown reaction, had to go to the hospital in an ambulance, had to get an EpiPen like this was a really serious condition. Off the back of that, he got a bill for all the medical fees. He then thinks it's not fair that he has to pay it because it wasn't his cake. So he has passed the bill onto his flatmate, who's he stole his cake?
Speaker 2: Are you following me? If I made that stit, you made it really convoluted. But I understand saying.
Speaker 3: Knowling's roomate's cake. He had an allergic reaction, went to hospital, a huge medical bill. Then he was like, do you know what stuff you? You poisoned me with your cake? You pay it, And the flatmate's like, bro, you stole my cake.
Speaker 2: You poisoned yourself.
Speaker 1: What I love about that story is he told it the exact same way, just not animated. The second time stole just a faster If you're going to take your housemates feet firstly, if you if you're allergic, I would say by the age of twenty four, you're probably aware of the things that you're an aflacti to normally not everyone, but like you would normally have a bit of a gauge of what it is that you're allergic to. If you're going to go into the fridge, take something that's very clearly not yours of your housemates. If you end up in hospital, that's a new power. You're paying for those bills. It's like you also should have to pay for those bills and the caqu eight.
Speaker 2: But it's like.
Speaker 3: Stealing a car and then crashing it and then saying that they need to pay your hospital bills, like when you stole it.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing. It's wild to me that he even thought he could pass his bill on.
Speaker 1: Do you know what my old housemate used to do This was we were in our twenties and like no one had any money because we're all UNI students and we were just doing our best. But I used to really like connoisseur ice cream. It was like my one treat I would always buy the same one Macadamian.
Speaker 2: I had it in the freezer, and.
Speaker 1: This dude I live with would eat the entire tub in like three days would be gone.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have even had a scoop and he would have eaten the whole thing, so rude.
Speaker 1: So then he would replace it, but he would always replace it with just like the no name, no frills, whatever. It was that the cheapest version of ice cream that he could get. And he used to make me so I write, I rate so I was like, you can't substitute something for something less.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And then he.
Speaker 1: Would not eat that because he didn't like it. And I was like, well, no one does. We've got Georgia on that bad. I didn't end up in hospital, Georgia. Do you have a horror house meat story?
Speaker 4: I do. So I had a housemate who had a bit of a habit of borrowing and not replacing, you know, the standard, and so we sort of sat on it for a while. We didn't say much until one day we found saucy fingerprints in the butter. Oh Le is.
Speaker 1: Making himself a sausage sandwich and he's spreading it with his fingers.
Speaker 2: No, maybe I don't. Yeah, straight from the my kids do that, but therefore it's actually revolting.
Speaker 3: No one should eat butter on its own, whether it's a fer my kids do.
Speaker 2: They eat it straight straight from the straight from the sauce.
Speaker 4: But then the real kicker is that we asked him about it and just you know, can you not do that? And he burst into tears. How old was this guy, like fully grown? I think at the time he was like twenty eight that about I don't know, but I felt terrible about it, because you know, maybe the guy has stuff going on. I don't know. So I felt terrible and I brought him some chocolate to apologize.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I also think that this just screams as someone who's highly sensitive to criticism, like, there's no way that anyone who's you know, sound mine is crying over that. They'd be like, yeah, you got me, shouldn't do that, that's bad. What ended up happening? Did you how long just stay with this guy? Live with him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: So he was my partner's bruemte that I ended up just sort of being around. But yes, I bought him chocolate and then he said sorry. But then did it again, he's a repead fan.
Speaker 3: Do you know what my most hated thing in the world, Like there is sorry, nothing food, My most hated food is butter. Like the thought of butter in my mouth or on my fingertips is the prevalent of people when they have nails on a chalkboard.
Speaker 2: You know that visceral feel Like I love the cake.
Speaker 1: Thing you've taken home from that you're so upset by the butter story that.
Speaker 3: Trees bumps because I'm thinking about butter touching me my thing.
Speaker 1: We are talking about horror housemates stories.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The reason that this started is because there's a guy overseas who eighties housemates cake ended up in hospital with anaphylaxis and then tried to give the housemate whose cakey stole the hospital bills and make him pay.
Speaker 2: Absolutely wild. I wonder what cake it was?
Speaker 1: Irrelevant, but like that curiosity nutcake, I had to be nuts pea campire, maybe Maceadamian nutcake yep makes nuts slice.
Speaker 2: Also, though, if you know your.
Speaker 1: Housemates allergic to nuts, you probably shouldn't have it in the communal fridge.
Speaker 2: We didn't. Okay, I'm giving my back too much leeway.
Speaker 1: Now the reason why this is just continuing to ongo is because I've lived in a lot of sharehouses. I've had so many different housemates over the years, and I feel like I've had a couple of horror housemates as well. I lived with this one guy. He was in a long distance relationship. You know, he barely got to speak to his partner because the timing difference was like very other side of the world, and he was a little bit of a hermit, so he lacked to say in his own room a lot.
Speaker 2: He also had the rule that no one in.
Speaker 1: The house was allowed to go into his bedroom ever, didn't matter what had happened, do not enter my room. Yeah, fine, it was like a teenage boys room, but he wasn't a teenage boy anyway. This one day, we couldn't find the remote control, and we just knew he'd taken it into his room because he had the same TV in his room that we had in the lound room, so he wasn't home open the door. It is putrid, like there is stuff everywhere. But not only is there stuff everywhere, there is a lotion, like a body lotion, right next to the bed, and scrunched up bits of tissue all around his sad little single bed all over the floor.
Speaker 2: But don't you shame this poor guy.
Speaker 1: The single bed has nothing to do with No, it's because it was the whole thing. It was the whole spectrum. It was overpoweringly disgusting that a couple of weeks later he ended up moving out.
Speaker 2: Those two things weren't correlative, but it was. You can't ask you not to go into his room.
Speaker 1: You cannot leave bodily fluids on the floor of anywhere. It's still a communal household, even if it's your room.
Speaker 2: Did you test them? I didn't step him. No, Okay, do you know what? You actually can't talk? I know I can talk, we can, but we're not listening. No, you can.
Speaker 3: I happen to know your old housemates, and I happen to have Jess on the line because I also happened to know you weren't perfect.
Speaker 1: Jess, don't you dare I'm very very good friends. My old housemate Jess in particular, who's also married to nurs are two of my best friends.
Speaker 2: You would never throw me under the bar. Please, can you have silence?
Speaker 5: Laura?
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, Hi, tell us what you had to deal with?
Speaker 5: Anyone that knows the love Laura knows that she fries and a bit of chaos. And we used to always joke about this because Laura, you would either never ever change the toilet roll or you would change it to such an deranged degree with nothing in between. So I'm talking like, never ever ever change, or we'd have five toilet rolls half used on the go at any given time, to the point where we joked, say, your favorite part of the toilet roll was the gloey bit that you just like unsticking your fresh roll of toilet paper. It got to the point where Ness went around and gooped up all of the toilet rolls. I think she put them in your bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you put them in your bed.
Speaker 5: It was absolutely unhinged.
Speaker 2: That's so passive aggressive.
Speaker 5: This is even as it was just outright aggressive. It was just pure aggression.
Speaker 2: This is the thing.
Speaker 1: So Jess and Ness are a couple, and like you, guys, both communicated very differently. You would just tell me when something's wrong, but Ness would not say anything, just kind of be quiet through the day and then send me a passive aggressive dex when she got to it.
Speaker 5: But to be fair to you, in true Laura fashion. About once a week you would cook the whole house the most delicious surf right, and everything would be forgiven and we would just start the cycle again a fresh week.
Speaker 3: Every do you know what, I go to Laura's house now and I have to take more in toilet paper. There is never it's always empty rolls in any bathroom in your house.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Matt's one. I mean, he has a lot of bug bears with me. But one of the things he hates about me is that when I change a role, I don't take the cardboard bit downstairs. I just put the cardboard bit on top of the toilet roll for that to be someone else's problem. You sorry, Jazz, You know what. You guys are so well putting out with me. I loved living with your my favorite housemates of all my housemates, trying to think of you, what other.
Speaker 2: Ones were you?
Speaker 5: My favorite part of visiting you now is that every time I go to your house, you say sorry for the mess like that, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Totally all right, shut up, get on the phone.
Speaker 2: Thank you, bye, Jazz. Do you know love you?
Speaker 4: Bye?
Speaker 3: I always had a really good housemaids. I was just trying to think. But then I remember this one thing. I lived with this guy who was this is unheard of clean freak like to the point that he sat me down one day and asked me to leave. He told me I needed to move out because I left an avocado seed once on the sink.
Speaker 1: I've seen your bathroom though, too, Britt, you're chaotic as well.
Speaker 3: That's not messy, though, that's just I have too many products. I have like twenty five thousand products.
Speaker 2: But this was no.
Speaker 3: I was immaculate in this house. One avocado scene, and he said, I think it's time for you to leave. And you know what, I said, No, yes, I think it's time for you to get therapy.
Speaker 2: I didn't leave. Yep, that's it. Anyway, let's get out of here.
Speaker 3: I think we've all established what we.
Speaker 2: Want to do. Laura is a messy housemaid.
Speaker 1: So many people, anyone who's ever lived in a sharehouse has a horror housemaid story. Send them into us. Go to the pickup on Instagram. We want to hear your stories because like this is this is the deep, relatable content that everyone needs.