Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the sitdown. I'm Viv Christie, managing editor of US joe In Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Mattrolope, a writer for oz open dot Com and viv this week, why are we sitting down with Alexipopperin.
Speaker 1: Well, we are sitting down with Alexi because he is riding an absolute high in his career at the moment. He arrives at the US Open as a seated player for the first time at a Grand Slam tournament, on the back of his first ATP Master's one thousand title in Montreal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I actually didn't do this interview. It was you and John Hooven, us host of the Aoshow Weekly, and you guys were lucky enough to catch Alexi early Melbourne time from New York, which was really cool and it was just great to hear him talk about the kind of place he's out in his career at the moment, the wave of confidence he's riding and you know what might lie ahead.
Speaker 1: Alexi, thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 1: We are talking to you in what we would have to describe as a career best season. You've had a third round run at the Olympics, a series of top ten wins, and our first ATP Masters one thousand title. It must be feeling pretty good for you right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely feeling good. You know, I've had it, I would say, up to this point, a little up and down year, topsy turvy year. But yeah, last week really really showed that I'm able to play at that level and play consistently at that level, which is, you know, a testament to all the hard work we've done over the past two years.
Speaker 4: An incredible run and some big performances within that Montreal title with wins over Shelton, dimetro of her catch quarter and rub lev tell me first of all about the personal significance of this title win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely it's massive for me. You know, I don't take many players in their career, go through their career when you know, and win a Mass one thousand, and for me to be able to do that is honestly, it is a dream come true. But at the same time, you know, the work doesn't stop here. You know, we still have goals and we saw have ambitions or our own as a team where as to where we want to get to it or how we want to play and it's definitely not the last Master final that I want to play in and try and win. So you know, I've got big ambitions and know we were straight back to work as soon as soon as we were done.
Speaker 4: Fantastic attitude. And I'm sure you would have seen some of the media coverage back home here in Australia where a lot of the focus was on the historical significance the first Australian man in twenty one years to win a title of this magnitude, and of course that was since Leyton Hewitt. So what does it mean to you to have been the first man in over two decades to replicate what he did at Indian Wells in two thousand and three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely an honor. You know, I think Lane's been a really big part of kind of my my professional career, you know, as David's cub captain, as you know, is kind of, you know, the kind of role model leader that all Aussie boys inside the top und all Aussie talnis players kind of looked to. And you know he's really helped a lot throughout all of our careers and you know, to have him by my side and kind of, you know, kind of helped me along the way is really amazing. And for me to be able to you know, win this title and first since he did it is a true honor and definitely something I'm really proud of, Alexi.
Speaker 1: Who else would you say has been influential in your career so far?
Speaker 3: You know, I think my team right now that I have, my two coaches have been have been unbelievable for me, Nevil Godwin and Xavier in the least. I think those two they came in at around about the same time, never came in a little bit later than Xavier, and you know, they kind of flip my game upside down and kind of mentally helped me get back on the right track after my very disappointing year into the twenty two. And also, you know, the team, the rest of the team that I've surrounded myself, Valentine match is your I Evan, my sitness coach who I recently hired, and I think he was kind of the missing piece and the puzzle, you know, he was. He's been believable since he's been on the team, kind of integrated in straight away and also baftly I can't. I can't forget my family, you know, the the sacrifices that they've made for me and then my brother for our tennis careers. You know, they've they've really sacrificed so much, you know, leaving Australia at a very early age and kind of focusing on tennis, and my parent and my mom not missing a match or practice until I was about to twenty one, twenty two years old, which is amazing, and my dad, you know, always finding a way to be able to pay for all of this because you know, tennis isn't chieved at all, and it's it's it's definitely something that I'm eternally grateful for my parents.
Speaker 4: For a big rankings rise following that title, and that means you'll be entering the US Open as a seed. Tell me about what that does to your mindset, entering a major as a seed, the good and the bad aspects.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's much different to entering a tournament of seed on not the seed. You know, for me, it's it's really important the process that we kind of implement before the tournament and during the tournament, you know, because it's it's it's there's no different. You know, you go to every Grand Slatin and you try and win it. And for me, that's always been kind of my idea. I've always thought that I could go deep in Slams, and you know, I think I've showed it with consistent third round runs and haven't been able to kind of pass the third round hurdle, which has been a shame. I've had some close matches over the past few years. But you know, for me, it's it's not not much changes. You know, the preparation is still the same, the mentality is still the same. You go into might try to win it and then we see what comes.
Speaker 4: You know, last week on the podcast, we had Simon Ray from the Game Insight Group and Dad some analysis on your performances in Montreal and notice that your return of serve numbers were just through the roof, growing exponentially throughout the latter stages of that title. Have you been putting work into that area.
Speaker 1: Of your game?
Speaker 4: If not, where have you been focusing your attention this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely something that we've we've highlighted as a place that we have to improve in. We have been putting work, but not kind of over the top work, and all we've been focusing on is our return. It's not that kind of work, but there were a few, you know, adjustments that we made. And also I feel like this year I've been returning much better on the faster surfaces. For some reason, it's just sort of clicked in my head a little bit since the start of the year. Honestly, again, you know, that's something that comes to you as a tennis player just naturally. You know, it's just some things click unexplainably, and you're able to return a little bit better, or hit a forehand a little bit better, or serve a little bit better, and you know, you try and understand those feelings and you just roll with them, honestly, And that's what that's what I've been doing in the last few months. And I feel like on the grass I returned quite well. I was quite comfortable returning on the grass, and also honestly on the clay. So for me, it's it's been a big, big improvement and and it's something that hopefully will continue improving. But you know, we've been working a lot on my serve actually, that's probably been the main thing that we've been focusing on trying trying to have a variety, variety on my serve. You know, I'm able to serve you know, a big two thirty kilometer an hour serve. But for me to be able to change the pace, change the change the direction, that's that's something that kind of you know, it took me a while to kind of grass because you know, when you're able to serve big, you kind just want to continue serving beag. But it becomes quite easier to return, believe it or not, because players get adjusted to it and they kind of start figuring out what you do. So if you start mixing it in a few kicks when they least expected, then you know your first the big bomb becomes more effective. Great insights, Alexi.
Speaker 1: You say that you said that not much changes for you after winning in Montreal, But what about the perspective and I guess the confidence boost that you gain from beating such a series of big names, and you know you also save match points against Dimotrov in that run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely it's definitely helps with the confidence. But I don't think me beating what one top ten player, you know, is something new. You know, I've been able to do it in the past a few times. But for me, the biggest thing that I keep saying after that tournament is beating three of those top ten players and five top twenty players in one week. That kind of consistency, it doesn't come easy and it's not something that you know, I've been able to do in my career. And that was kind of the first week while I was able to put you know, a string of six matches against high quality opponents and beat them. So for me, that's that's the most pleasing thing and the most that's the thing that builds the most confidence in me.
Speaker 1: How much inspiration did you take from your Olympics experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's been. There was a lot of inspiration honestly, you know, seeing other athletes, seeing other you know, the best athletes in the world and there and their respective sports, you know, seeing how they go about their business. You know, it kind of gives you a liarm of inside as to how you should be going about your business. And you know, it just showed me that what I've been doing was kind of the right thing. As all athletes, you know are super focused on the nutrition, super focus on their gym work, and you know, they go and do their head stuff. But off the court, you know that they're amazing human beings and you know, I think think it's I think that just you know, highlighted the faact that you know, what I was doing was the right part and the right way and that I just had to stick with it. In one of these days it would click and you know that that's something that you know, being in that big village seeing other athletes, seeing how they worked. Yeah, highlight But at that.
Speaker 1: Watching from Afar, it seemed like there's well it always does seem like there's such a great team spirit among the Australian players. Does does it help to spend time with the likes of Layton and obviously you're friends with Alex and other players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely does for sure. No, I think us as a Davis Cup squad, you know, we've made back to back Davis Cup finals and that wouldn't come if we didn't get along as a squad as players and also the boys that haven't been on the Davis Cup squad, you know, like viog Oags, you know, Rinky, you know all of those guys. We all get along super well. You know, we all go we try and get a round of golf and every now and then. You know, me and Demon have been close since we've been kids, you know, and we've kind of been pushing each other to higher standards and to kind of improve in our game. And that's kind of the competitiveness that you want in tennis and in sport. And you know, I think having so many players inside the top hundred now seeing then we can and helping them and kind of and practicing together and helping each other, you know that not many countries have this, and we're super lucky to have it, and we definitely don't take it for granted.
Speaker 1: And you know, obviously the odd round of golf here and there. What else are you doing off court to decompress away from tennis?
Speaker 3: Honestly, A lot of it is golf. I just I love my golfum because yeah, I to be honest, I travel with my golf clubs to some places to be able to play, to be afule to play golf, well you know, uh yeah, And you know I like to spend time with Tim, but a lot of the time, you know, I I just really enjoyed playing golf and and you know, spending time with my girlfriend off the court. You know, we like to go to some plays here and there. We'd like to go to dinner together, So it's a it's very Yeah, I have a few things that I like to do and sometimes when I really like it, I like to I like to play and PlayStation. So that's that's that's about it.
Speaker 1: We know that you're famously close to your family. As as you mentioned earlier, what was their reaction after your your winning Montreal?
Speaker 3: Surely it was amazing. I think I called them as soon as I got into the gym and and called my girlfriend and added my family to the to the chat and to the call, and yeah, there were tears flowing, there was a there was a lot of congratulations and and uh, super proud and some time as my parents can get a little bit ahead of themselves and say, you know, go win the slab now, and I was thanks, I'm trying to tell them, you know, I just take it easy, let's enjoy this one first and then and then we'll think about the rest. So yeah, but honestly, everybody was just super proud, and you know, they know that I wouldn't be able to do this without them, and I'm eternally grateful to them.
Speaker 4: Alexie, if you can take your mind back to the start of the year, a lot of players, I guess cast their goals for the year. Can you tell us what your goals were at the beginning of twenty twenty four and how they've changed now that you've got this Master's one thousand title under your belt.
Speaker 3: You know, I think in terms of goals, I don't really set myself goals. I like to go buy the you know, the day to day work, the goals off the court in practice and how we and how we practice and how we go about our business, and that for me is the most important thing. And the ranking and the results will naturally come if you're able to do it consistently. So for me, it's that's a huge part of the process, and goals is not really a big thing for me. I really don't like setting ranking goals, au toonament goals or any of that stuff, because for me, it just it puts my mind. I only focus on that, and for me, that's not the that's not the way to go about it.
Speaker 1: What are you most looking forward to over the next few months.
Speaker 3: I'm just I know it's a it's getting a little bit old, but just the process, honestly, just the just the constant work off the court. For me, that's that's the most enjoyable thing, you know, going to going to the gym, practicing on court with my team, spending some time with my team, you know, on on and off the court, you know, for me, that's that's the that's the thing that I look to the most. And then for me, you know, the confidence that I have right now. I was telling my team the other day that, you know, it's so amazing to be able to play tennis when you're high on confidence, because I've I've been really low in confidence and that's really not enjoyable at all. But to be able to step on court and feel like you're able to produce any shot or do anything, that's a feeling that you try and keep forever. And that's the feeling that I'll be trying to keep for a very wrong time, just to play in confidence. Because you know, these guys in the top ten, top five, you know, I think they constantly nearly we can week out play with confidence, and they can produce the kind of shots and tennis that they're producing. We can weak out and that's something you know, you take one week on Montreal, you feel like that confidence flowing, you wanted to proceed into the next week, and that's that's something that I'm looking for, but to hopefully I can continue that confidence going.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like you are enjoying your tennis a lot, and we are certainly enjoying watching you as well.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Yeah, it's definitely fun playing tennis right now.
Speaker 2: Well, Viv, that was a great check. Congratulations. I really enjoyed the note that that interview finished on. I'm really enjoying my tennis. You can just hear that Alexi and all the work he's doing, the team he's got around him, and the momentum he's built. He's really enjoying writing that wave, and it sounds like he's very excited to see where his career might go from here. So I think US Open could be really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Matt. It was really great to catch up with Alexi and he is obviously in a really great spot at the moment. He's enjoying his tennis. He's feeling a real sense of belonging. I think after such a series of great wins in Montreal, and yeah, I'm equally excited to see what he does next. Yeah, we'll be back next week with another episode of sit Down, and in the meantime, you can tune into John and the team on The Aos Show weekly on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes below, and please remember to subscribe, rate, and review. We'll see you next week, vib.
Speaker 1: Look forward to it.
Speaker 3: Matt