Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch Up podcast.
Speaker 2: It is us and we are back, and thank goodness for that.
Speaker 3: Springer Sprung people.
Speaker 2: I don't care what you say whether talk is important for social conditioning. I need to know that you understand that it is now spring and daylight savings and it feels good. We don't agree on that. That's okay, but I need to understand why asap. Anyway, enjoy the show.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on KEDA. I have been accused past. It's been an accusation that I am living in the past that I love Nostalgi. It's giving two thousand and four as my current thing that I'm interested in.
Speaker 3: I'm always surprised that you know current pop culture references.
Speaker 1: I know they just slip through. Yeah, it's not intentional. I wonder what it is I was thinking today. I'm actually good at remembering things from all ears.
Speaker 3: It's not just the early two times.
Speaker 2: Because you're an old soul. They don't want to know this about Freumiana. She's an old soul. She's been here before her dad in a young woman's body. No, man, what the hell it's very clear.
Speaker 1: Crazy how someone can rub off from you that hard that much, thinking that, oh no.
Speaker 3: We're different species and same same.
Speaker 1: It comes to light he is also living in the eighties, so do slightly difference for real? Anyway? I have wondered also though, why are we doing all of these reboots guys that come up with a bit of fresh material? And I came across this TikTok? Are you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm really ready? This is great?
Speaker 1: Why have people looked the same for the last twenty years?
Speaker 4: Oh, but this is a question people should be asking, not just how people.
Speaker 3: Let's expand the question a little bit.
Speaker 1: Why is it the case that.
Speaker 4: In twenty years very little has changed in the material relationships of anyone's life?
Speaker 3: Watching this TikTok? Has there been a nearly.
Speaker 4: NonStop recreation of nostalgic old tropes in Hollywood? Just everything is a remake of a remake of a reboot of a reboot of something that was made forty fifty years ago.
Speaker 1: Or try to find an answer.
Speaker 5: Let's listen to this guy, Mark Fisher.
Speaker 1: Fisher's most famous for.
Speaker 4: His book Capitalist Realism and what Capitalist Realism basically means in Natchell is that capitalism is the only thing you can imagine, you cannot imagine existing in a system outside of it. In this world today, not just in New York, but all over the world, we all basically live in that system, especially Hollywood, especially places.
Speaker 3: That make art.
Speaker 4: But wait a minute, Brandon, I thought that art was basically supposed to challenge things like power structures. Yeah, maybe on the level of the superficial, but actually most art, most art.
Speaker 1: Produced today, whether it's music or.
Speaker 5: Architecture, or movies or TV shows or fashion, doesn't try to challenge any of the deeper material relations that capitalism has us trapped within.
Speaker 3: It makes total sense, It makes extreme sense.
Speaker 2: Capitalist realism is the best way to put it, because, especially in this current capitalist society from a Western lens and Australian lens, you know, is all we know, and things that serve to challenge that idea don't really get that far. They stay so hypothetical because I think we recognize that so much would need to change to adopt anything drastically new. I mean, that's also why we get really excited about tech advancements, because we really don't have to do much personally. We just get this new thing impressioned upon us. I do with that or don't do it, that is up to you.
Speaker 1: September iPhone RA release, Yeah exactly. That man walks on that stage and my eyes appealed. Really not at all.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: I couldn't give our rats us truly. I just would prefer to stay with the thirteen Imax pro.
Speaker 2: I've been saying this, I would. I'm happy to say with the phone I have now it was this gadget. Since when we're tech Girl is when the early adopters. I'm like, it's all the same. That's the illusion is wearing off. Unfortunately, bring the illusion back. Make us feel like we're going to achieve our that we can achieve our wildest dreams, and that everything is new and fresh and fun. The illusion broken. Everything is the same. Nothing changes, History repeats itself, blur.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm going to get into history this year. I'm joining you reading.
Speaker 3: I never read that. I did. I did have a history podcast.
Speaker 2: I think we forgot which I guess Spotify's third original Australian podcast production.
Speaker 3: But you know there's that's that's an ancient ancient history.
Speaker 2: At this point, add is that before aftercrafts.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 2: This has got to be the most Melbourne thing I've done thus far. I did move, technically, I don't know four months ago. Do I spend any time there? No, But that's okay because these are the implications of impulsive decisions. Sometimes they eat and sometimes they add, you know, two to three flights four flights a week to your roster bro I will say, though, Melbourne is really delivering on its promise of being amazing. I've got really truly no complaints aside from the weather, but that's not unique. And plus it's pumping in spring for sure. It's blue sky, suns out, hotch Melbourne.
Speaker 1: And spring like Grandfa Noald Die areas. Yes, the city sings.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love the sport culture there. But I will say, yes, very Melbourne experience. I dined at a restaurant that did not exist. No, it's not AI, but it's the most accessible yet exclusive experience I've had. Basically, I went to a dining experience by this real person who's a fictional character called Greeto.
Speaker 3: What shapes you? You're from Melbourne?
Speaker 2: You let me know how this is. I'm learning as I go. So basically, greeto. This fictional character that's a real person hosted this elusive dinner event that I was invited to by friends. I was just a plus one, a friend of a friend. I was one of ten people. Now this is not just a rinky dink. Send the text pull through. There was an Instagram page made branding a logo of printed men. You cover charge less than fifty bucks for three courses, babe, some incredible It was artisan. It was just such a cool experience because number one, I can't think of anything like that I've been to in Sydney that wouldn't cost me literally four and a half thousand dollars. And in this instance, by the time I got there and you remove the smoke and mirrors, it really was a.
Speaker 3: Guy who cooks or likes to cook. I don't know if he's a chef.
Speaker 2: I don't know his story, but he hosts dinner parties that you can pay to attend.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 2: And you only know that they're happening if you know him, I guess. And then by word of mouth, he tells someone, who tells someone, who tells someone, and then we all.
Speaker 3: Pay to go.
Speaker 2: And it was actually quite nice because you end up meeting all these people that you wouldn't necessarily go to dinner with.
Speaker 3: Of course they were fans of.
Speaker 1: The show four Anything Everyone in four people who were between the age of eighteen No it's too young, twenty and twenty five Flex and Frooms Fam. Did they say anything about me? That's all not particularly so.
Speaker 3: I don't know any worry about what. I'd have to go back in the archives to get it.
Speaker 2: But I will say the way that it came up was late, so like we had already been inside, done the small talk, had the first course, getting quite into the second course, and then it was like, so, like, how's the show going?
Speaker 1: With Rooms there? They would a name check, got a name check.
Speaker 2: Good to know that there are ops everywhere, according Guardian Angels, but they know who they are and somebody is always watching and I love to see it. I'll let you know if I go to any other Melbourne Codd experience what I'm being this summer is gonna be a big one.
Speaker 3: Mummay can I listen to Flex and Rooms? Flex and Rooms?
Speaker 1: Okada, hate to inform you, but apparently you are drinking your water wrong you listening? It's you The only reason why I know this to be true, is that I thought there was only one way to drink water.
Speaker 3: Down the gullet. Yeah, golp, golp, golp, golp.
Speaker 1: A little suppository wouldn't go a straight now and then.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is a verified sauce. The source is TikTok, but you know, do with that information what you will.
Speaker 6: This is the quickest and easiest way to stay hydriden. You're going to take a pinch of sugar put into a glass, blue bit of salt water into a glass, you get get lemon citric acid.
Speaker 1: Bro, she's having me on flags.
Speaker 6: Something about something about the carbo silter water from a fridge. No, you don't mean those electrolyte packers. You can just do this and like you can control how much sugars in there.
Speaker 3: Soon you drinking water need to be a cocktail.
Speaker 2: And the thing that's getting me is I've fallen for this once before, not personally in my actions, but water was trending on TikTok.
Speaker 3: I said, what's this about. Everyone's like flavored water's just come out. It's really great.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, Okay, you know, it's like actual natural water with natural flavoring. It was literally Americans to suck this discovering cordial.
Speaker 3: Flavored watertop.
Speaker 2: It was like, if you're trying to lose weight, get your water and take up just add flavoring pipes.
Speaker 1: What about vitamin water two thousand and four, Well that I trust, bring it, bring us back to being like finally healthy food that tastes good. Vitamin water. The dragon fruit, oh really that's the purple one, right, or the pinky pinky Yeah, the cranberry beautiful. The thing is, I don't know if it's just like my FBI agent is trying to like tell me something.
Speaker 3: Because I have been drinking more traditional water. I have been.
Speaker 2: Keeping the intake up noticed I'm not going to be doing the salt sugar lemon combo. But if another TikTok would come up to explain why the salt sugar lemon combo works, then I might give it a go. I just don't have those on me every Also, girlies, this whole warm lemon water in the morning styles.
Speaker 3: Start not good. My dentist said it erodes.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I gotta say it.
Speaker 3: The boom is coming out and I'd like to see it.
Speaker 1: I don't think the metabolism is getting bousted by a little bit of a warm water boxing girls. Seriously, Oh, don't shoot the messenger, actually do a whole Yeah, the expos is bubbling with it.
Speaker 2: What I just need if there are any engineers out there, any academics, any human encyclopedias. I need someone to filter this information through to give me the information I need to. I need a device, an app that I can say, take this video, tell me what is factual?
Speaker 1: You know, you could actually like this is a little thing for TikTok. You could create a whole page which is fact checker, like doctor Carl.
Speaker 3: But for TikTok, so I should I should do labor rimiani. What is the best thing to happen to you this week?
Speaker 1: Oh, the best thing to happened to me this week was, Oh my god, I took a plane ride to an undisclosed location. Okay, okay, it was giving a getaway with a special someone. Oh, this is completely a lie, but there is a part of it that's true. I was on a plane and I was sitting in the window seat, which I opted for. I almost paid a bit more money, but of course I bargained on the phone. They said it's it's usually usually nine dollars will wave it for you. And I said, you know, how would you do the pretty privileges radiators.
Speaker 3: Through before you booked a flight to get cheaper seats?
Speaker 1: Yah?
Speaker 3: Huh, I know.
Speaker 1: I just worked out, Well, this is so vague and it sounds like a life you, I know. But the point of that, the moral of the story is true, and I'll get a truth there another bit of truth. I got three seats in a row, three seats in a row on a flat.
Speaker 3: Did you use them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, babe, I lay all the way down. Really it was a short flight. But when you get three seats you need to take advantage of it because it doesn't happen that often lying fall down. Yeah, it was giving a premium. It was giving business economy. Imagine I imagine like I've had a friend that's been relocated somewhere on business class.
Speaker 3: Right, relocated somewhere.
Speaker 1: Okayns witness protection, and they talk about going on business Like, God, you didn't want to be staying in that job for ever because I could never go back from business. That's why by the time I'm at a retirement age, I want to be in business. But anything before that, I gotta I gotta slog it out. What is the best thing that's happened to you this week? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can't think of the best, but a highlight.
Speaker 2: I've been using this app called mid Journey. It's this chat GPT type thing that makes images.
Speaker 3: Don't roll your eyes, sorry, but you on your apps. I can't, I know, I know, but it's fun.
Speaker 2: It's like a chat GPT type thing that makes images, and it's just cool watching technology do its thing. I think the transition from a three mobile like fifteen years ago to an iPhone was the last big technological shift that felt important to me.
Speaker 3: That was like night and day. Yes, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 3: Watching AI do stuff feel similarly.
Speaker 1: You're not scared, you're excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you get scared, you get left behind. And what happens you get left behind dried up. I'm not saying be leader of the pack.
Speaker 3: Don't do that. Don't stop buying what do you call those NFTs?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I mean I think they'll have their day. I do own it an FT, yeah, and what's it worth down the bloody shale?
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't start buying NFTs.
Speaker 2: But there's something to say about being not the first adopter, second or third, but in the thousands, one hundred thousands, Like right now on Threads, I was the five millionth person to join.
Speaker 3: That felt like a good number. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I'm on on sixty million up.
Speaker 3: Embarrassing.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, tune in de cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.