Speaker 1: I heard podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura.
Speaker 1: Ben Baby, your work, our windows done.
Speaker 3: That's my world.
Speaker 1: Rison the dust only good fabs all down.
Speaker 4: I've don't much, but yeah I know I'll big get and what I want.
Speaker 2: It don't matter where. This is the pickup.
Speaker 1: Happy Friday everyone, the end of the week, It's the Pickup with Brett Hapily.
Speaker 3: And Laura Ben.
Speaker 2: Hey exciting.
Speaker 3: I'm going to the logis this week.
Speaker 1: Are you okay? Have you got your dress? Have you got your hair? Have you got everything?
Speaker 2: Have a hair on my head?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm one of the stuff.
Speaker 4: I have a dress. It is very sparkly like covered in sequence and it is a two tone silver and gold dress.
Speaker 1: I think I did peak sequence last year. I couldn't do sequence again.
Speaker 3: I went all mirrorball.
Speaker 1: I went as a full disco ball. You gotta hung me from that ceiling and spun me around.
Speaker 4: You were yeah, So I'm going, Yeah, I'm going a bit of gold, bit of silver.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I'm sad to miss it this year.
Speaker 1: But I also the thought of trying to pull myself into a dress at the trimester.
Speaker 3: Just did not feel that excited.
Speaker 2: You come, but you're away on fun things.
Speaker 1: No, I'm away working. But I also I don't know. Can you wear flats to the logis?
Speaker 3: Can you wear? Can you? Who can do whatever you want to do?
Speaker 1: I feel like the only person who's wearing flats to the logis is Julia Morris. I mean she's up for a gold so she can do whatever she wants.
Speaker 4: I think Poe might have one year as well. I don't know quote me on that if she's listening post. Sorry if you didn't, I feel like she might have. I don't know where why that's popped into my head. But hey, Jimmy Barnsey singing, I'm pretty excited.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited he's performing there. He's going to be so good.
Speaker 1: I mean it will be amazing local careless. Well, I'm excited to see because I love I love how excited you are.
Speaker 3: Then you were talking about one.
Speaker 1: Of the other musicians who's playing the logos this year, and I'm I'm not, you know, for someone who works in radio, I should know more musicians.
Speaker 3: I know, Jimmy, who anyone is? I don't know. It's such a shame. I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's a shame.
Speaker 1: It's like I have celebrity amnesia. Honestly, I don't know what it is. It's like the name to face recognition, Like I know, like what the songs are when they start playing. But if someone just like tells me the name of a musician, my brain can never connect it to the music.
Speaker 3: I just can't do it.
Speaker 2: Well, Jimmy Barns is playing, so I am excited.
Speaker 3: Legend, I know who he is.
Speaker 2: What are you taking it?
Speaker 1: Okay, I know who Jimmy Barns. This looks speaking of what stars. I don't want to do that. It is the big battle. BRIT's Book Week battle is biguan.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a lot of alliteration there, BRIT's.
Speaker 3: Big Book Week Battle.
Speaker 1: Okay, So earlier this week we had my daughter Mary May on the show. She's six years old. It is a very big moment in our household, and that is because it is her first big school book week. We've done KINDI book weeks, We've done preschool book weeks. I may have forgotten about them, but we did them. This is the very first one that Marley is going to be at kindergarten and like it's a big deal when you're in school.
Speaker 4: It's also the first book week she's going to have where someone's remembered it was book week and gone to the effort to make her a costume.
Speaker 2: Cazilla has, in fact forgotten every year.
Speaker 3: I may have forgotten, I still look.
Speaker 1: We still managed to make her a costume, and Marley looked a fantastic And she'll tell you herself because she's.
Speaker 3: Here in the studio. Marley may welcome back, sweetheart.
Speaker 4: Hi, So you came in earlier in the week and you told us your two outfits.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us again.
Speaker 3: What they were? Lady Bag and Swift?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ladybug and Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: The competition was firstly the.
Speaker 1: Brit So kindly offered herself up Marley to make you a costume. Are you excited to see what Annie Brittany's made for you? I wonder if you can tell which one britt made or which one she.
Speaker 3: Bought from Spotlight.
Speaker 1: Which one do you think you're gonna like better the one that Arnie Brittany.
Speaker 2: Made, or do you think you're gonna like a store one or my one? You're well, let's see let's bring the costumes out.
Speaker 4: And we'll see if you still feel the same way. You're gonna get to pick whatever you want.
Speaker 2: There's no right or wrong. You're not gonna hurt Arnie Britney's feelings. If you want to pick one, you just pick whatever you like the best. Okay, I'm gonna that's my eyes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, close close your eyes. We'll do a great unveiling.
Speaker 3: All right, it's like fashion week. It's the Pickups fashion Week.
Speaker 1: But Annie Brittany Marley, the very first costume that you requested from Arnie Brittany was Ladybug.
Speaker 3: Please open your eyes here it is so I'm going to talk you through it.
Speaker 4: What you're seeing here, it's very on trend, very in fashion. We've got a core red color with some beautiful circular black spots.
Speaker 2: That is the Ladybug's shell.
Speaker 3: Up the top here.
Speaker 4: You did request a blue wig, so there is a blue blue head.
Speaker 1: I think actually do not want a wig. She wanted to have hair doodlers in her hair.
Speaker 2: It's optional. If you don't want to wear the wig, you don't have to.
Speaker 4: And then we have an imasks so you're like a super Ladybug.
Speaker 2: So he Dore's an eye mask up the top. So this is option one. We even put some glitter on the spots.
Speaker 3: I like it, do you? Because you looked a bit concerned when it first came here.
Speaker 1: Your eyes were like this, What do you like about it?
Speaker 6: Because there's glitter?
Speaker 3: Where's the glitter on the dots?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: What do you think of the wig? I know you didn't want a wig, but what do you think of it?
Speaker 3: I don't you don't like? Well?
Speaker 4: Are you excited to see the costume that any Brittany's made for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, well let's bring in costume number two. Close your eyes, Marley.
Speaker 3: All right, Marley, open your eyes? What do you think?
Speaker 6: I like it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So this is what you request said was Taylor Swift. So I did my best to try and think. You're not allowed to wear swimmers to school, so we made you this Taylor Swift costume. Now, have a look at these glasses they like? Can you see what it says on there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What it? There's Marley May?
Speaker 2: Yes, they're your own sunglasses.
Speaker 6: Did you stick the beads on?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Huh? From scratch with my bare hands?
Speaker 6: You buy glasses and then you put bleats on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I wanted you to look like Taylor Swift, but like a Marley may version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Marley look at the back.
Speaker 6: It's just lovely.
Speaker 1: It says love And do you like all the sparkles and the sequins?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What do you think it looks like? Do you think it looks like a Taylor Swift costume?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Let's turn it around again? Like what's in the pocket there? Look what you get? A microfer?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Those sunglasses look so.
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: Hey Mary, why did you choose Taylor Swift? What's your favorite thing about Taylor Swift?
Speaker 6: I like her because I like her songs, and because I like my name tiny Taylor?
Speaker 3: And why did you get your fringe cut?
Speaker 6: Because I wanted to be Taylor?
Speaker 1: Okay, can you sing some a Taylor Swift song? I said you wanted it to be shaken Off reckon? You can sing a bit of shake it Off?
Speaker 6: I don't know it because I don't have.
Speaker 3: The song on.
Speaker 1: What about if we sing a bit like and the play is gonna play, play play, play play.
Speaker 6: And the ship is gonna shake chake check check check, shake it off, shake it off, shake it off, shake it off?
Speaker 1: If you had to pick your favorite costume? Molly, which ones are gonna be? Lady Bug or Taylor Swift?
Speaker 6: Taylor Swiftney Brittany.
Speaker 3: Honey, Brittany did very good, didn't she? Okay, who makes a better costume? Mommy or Honnie? Brittany Off? She's like, well, Mom's ever made me one?
Speaker 2: Things were coming in today, Miley.
Speaker 3: May bye, Maley.
Speaker 1: You guys will heard the debate, the gen Z versus the millennial debate.
Speaker 3: It's as old as time itself.
Speaker 2: Why do they hate us?
Speaker 3: Why do they hate us? They bully us?
Speaker 1: So GenZ think that millennials are losers and I we know not. We are cool with a K. We've lived a life. Okay, we've seen it all. We were there before mobile phones existed, and we saw the dawn of the Nokia phot phones.
Speaker 2: I can remember when the Internet came in.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that like bubble Apple computer, the colorful one that everyone had had, like the green back and it was see through in the front.
Speaker 2: I didn't have that.
Speaker 4: The computer that I had was like the biggest box you've ever seen. It was not a color It was like we suffered through dial up connection. Like we've done it all.
Speaker 1: We paid the way to make it easier for gen z who now in some ways get to.
Speaker 3: Cruise into technology in life.
Speaker 1: And I know that they have their own battles, but let me tell you, Millennials are not losers.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm going to say.
Speaker 4: I'm going to make a statement bowl statement one hundred times over.
Speaker 2: I'd rather live in our generation than Miss Joe.
Speaker 1: I think everyone says that it's the whole adage of like back in my day, I had to walk shoeless for seventeen kilometers to school.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's every generation because the generation.
Speaker 4: Before us wouldn't have thought there was better because things have become easier. But we were there when life started to get good, and now it's escalated too much. It's too much this, too much complication with the Internet and things like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, speaking of life getting good, I came across something on socials and I it was such a nostalgic moment for me because I think that the clubbing days of us in our twenties and I'm talking early two thousands, Like if you were clubbing back in two thousand to two thousand and five, you were going to feel this in your deep dark soul. Okay, we hear you because we all lived it, we all remember. And I listened to this and I was like the nostalgia and the place that it takes me back to have a listen.
Speaker 5: Hi, this messages for gen Z stopping me to millennials because guess what you could never you I could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 5: Take you to a club in twenty ten and you would literally probably die. You're getting ready? What are you wearing? Not sneakers? You wouldn't be quite dead in.
Speaker 2: A pair of ten isshues.
Speaker 3: No, baby, you have.
Speaker 5: Your six inch ten dollars Charlotte roose heels that are going to destroy your feet. And we're not wearing baggy jeans and tank tops. No, we're wearing tooby dresses. They start here, they end just at your own and that's it.
Speaker 3: That's what you got.
Speaker 1: We used to go to the club in the middle of winter wearing literally no clothes, like nothing, and then you you'd contemplate, or do I take a jacket? Do I not take a jacket? And then if you did take.
Speaker 3: A jacket, you would go there with your girlfriends.
Speaker 1: You would pile up all your handbags either on the seat next to you, like on like a bench or directly on the floor, and then you'd put that jacket over the top as like it protected it from theft, and you were dance around it until five am in the wrning like what were we all doing?
Speaker 3: But you'd also have.
Speaker 4: To be like battling through the smoke and the cigarettes to be like cigarette burns on you because everyone's allowed smoking side still like that last couple of years before smoking got banned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do you also remember the doing a lap? So like once you once you're a bit passed, like you've danced, you've grinded to a few songs, you really got down and dirty, and then you'd go and do a lap. So you'd peruse around the club, just a couple of laps.
Speaker 2: Would call it cutting a lap.
Speaker 3: Say, hey, want to cuddle cuddle up?
Speaker 1: You grab one girlfriend, go and cut a lap with the fuck out. Producer Grace is a bit younger than us, and she's looking at us like we stick in the head. But you do that so that you could check who you might want to make out.
Speaker 4: With that night, Producer Grace, And this will make you die a little bit inside.
Speaker 2: You'd go out on a Saturday night, not for a special occasion. It's not a birthday or anything. It's just like Saturday night.
Speaker 4: Come Monday, there would be an entire Facebook album with one hundred and fifty hundred and sixty kotos from that one night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, so I kind of came in to the point where we were still putting up Facebook albums, but I wasn't cutting a lap or whatever that is.
Speaker 2: You have to cut a lap because you have to see what's out there.
Speaker 3: What potential are you going to make out with? Yeah, there's no such thing as tinder.
Speaker 4: How else are you going to know who was in the room because if you were a la, if you're on the dance floor for like half an hour, forty five minutes, who knows you came into that other room?
Speaker 3: Who knows you?
Speaker 4: At the bar, you had to and people would have to hold the fort. The bag fought because the bags were on the ground. So you're like, you guys, stay, we'll cuddle up, we'll come back, and then you cuddle up.
Speaker 1: I have so many visceral memories of like everyone just like sweating, like deep in the club. We've all been dancing for hours, and like you would see your friend and some random dude would come up and start like grinding up behind them, and you have to gauge like they would have to give you a look either they were in help, like are they into it or not, and you would just have to try and decipher from your friend's facial expressions and then you'd either have to go and save her. It sounds outrageous now because it's so against like everything, all the consent conversations and everything else that we have, But back in the day.
Speaker 3: We were just all trying to stay alive at the club and.
Speaker 4: You know the song Do you know the song? When I think of the club at Barnum.
Speaker 3: Gee, don't from the windows.
Speaker 1: The last thing I want to say is I know, brit you said that you would upload an album from its Saturday night, but often it was a Wednesday, because Wednesday was UNI night day, all right, and we were out. It didn't matter if it was a week night. It didn't matter if it was a weekend. We got up and we went to work the next day or school, even if you'd had two hours sleep. You just sucked it up and you made it happen. And that's what millennials could do and j could never could have.
Speaker 4: W for five days because of the blisters, the pear on the feet.
Speaker 1: You're still black from the two thousands shower it. After weeks of protesting, I have managed to get this across the line.
Speaker 2: There actually hasn't been any protesting.
Speaker 3: That's not true.
Speaker 1: Every time I try and bring a fun fact, you laugh at me and tell me it's terrible. Get a drum roll, everyone, because it's time for fun Fact Friday.
Speaker 3: Now, if you've been listening to the show over the.
Speaker 1: Last couple of weeks, I've brought some really interesting facts.
Speaker 3: Might be animal facts, something about a frog.
Speaker 2: Trying to avoid animal facts to be fair until now.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what we are going to coin from here forward as fun Fact Friday and Britt I have a list of facts. Thank you for letting me do this, which firstly, I would be surprised if you know any of these. So it's Friday, great day to learn a few things going into the weekend. Maybe you need some like pub banter so you can sit down with your mates and seem like you're worldly and you know things beyond just what the Internet tells you.
Speaker 2: So it's an education piece because I.
Speaker 1: Care about everyone's, you know, really being well educated in this world and also being able to strike up a conversation with your neighbor or your friend.
Speaker 3: All right, first one off the ranks.
Speaker 2: Had your conversations sound fun? Hey, Sally, hope you've been well? Hey, did you know I can imagine that going down over the fence.
Speaker 3: This is why my neighbor hates me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, do you know this? What is Barbie Doll's full name? Barbara's something something, Yeah, don't worry, I'll tell you. It's Barbara Millicent Roberts Millicent.
Speaker 4: I always think of millipede when I hear the word milicine.
Speaker 3: Why do you think of millipede? Just because the miller or there's a fact in itself.
Speaker 1: All right, with another one for you. The platypus doesn't have a stomach at all. There are sophagus, just go straight into their intestines. Didn't know that seems like a terrible evolutionary like thing. Surely that just seems like you don't get enough nutrients. Is I think they're thriving alright, But I actually think they're not thriving. I think the numbers have plummeted. There's hardly any in the wild, and pats they're rarely spotted.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's a good one for you.
Speaker 2: They're sorry. I'm going to give you a fact.
Speaker 4: They're not spotted because they're super shy.
Speaker 3: I think it's because they're extince Si Grace, can you please check. I'm plan they're in danger.
Speaker 2: The platypus is an extremely shy animal.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's conservation status Producer Grace is on the case is near.
Speaker 3: Threatened, but it is not currently endangered.
Speaker 2: And is that shy?
Speaker 7: But raising your fact on your fact, Yes, they are widely described as shy and reclusive.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's why they high.
Speaker 3: They see you coming in and they're like, no, no, this is true. There's also not many of them.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad that we were both right in that conversation. Speaking of animal facts, have you ever heard of ferret legging? Sounds like a sexy move.
Speaker 3: No, I really don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how this exists, but I'm glad that it does and now that I know about it. Ferret legging is an endurance sport in which competitors attempt to keep ferrets trapped in their pants for as long as possible, or.
Speaker 3: You can't laugh about that. I'm a cruelty. That's not funny. It's not funny, but it exists, and.
Speaker 1: The fact that it exists is outrageous. I love to know what country that came from. Producer Grace can also check that one up while I continue.
Speaker 7: It was once popular among coal miners in Yorkshire, England.
Speaker 2: It was, and they probably killed them.
Speaker 1: Going all right, Britt, did you know that it's impossible to hum while holding your nose?
Speaker 3: Try it. That's not really humming. I can't let the air up. No one wants to hear that.
Speaker 1: Everyone in cars across Australia produce and Grace let that in. If you just saw someone holding their nose, you know that they're all listening to the.
Speaker 3: Same station as you. Okay, lemons float in water, but limes sink.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Pope, I don't know how to take that one.
Speaker 1: The Pope cannot be an organ downer. You can never have a bit of the Pope in you.
Speaker 2: Why is that a religious thing?
Speaker 3: Ah? I can tell you why? Yeah, thanks Chrace.
Speaker 2: Laura says she brings backs, but she just googles them. She actually don't know anything about.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know the reasons. I know the fact.
Speaker 7: So once the Pope dies, his entire body is considered to belong to the Catholic Church and it has to be intact.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but there were people that might need those organs. Yeah, but the pope's really old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got a crush on the Pope. Don't have a crush on the plot, do you.
Speaker 1: Grace has a bit of a weird pope fetish, which we've established. She saw this AI daddy. She saw this AI photo of the Pope once where he's wearing a puffer jacket, and she thought he.
Speaker 3: Was really cool.
Speaker 2: He did in that in a way he looks cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got two more of you. Finland has more saunas than they do cars.
Speaker 2: I know that, so on the capital of the world, yep.
Speaker 3: And animals can also.
Speaker 1: I know that we all complain about being allergic to cats or being allergic to dogs. You know, you can't have them in your house for whatever reason, and I'm sure that that's hard for you. But have you ever thought about the fact that animals can also be allergic to humans?
Speaker 3: Can they?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They can?
Speaker 4: Aren't they more allergic to like their moisturizers and perfumes on the human, not the.
Speaker 3: Human potentially, but I didn't dig.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I don't know if that was beneficial.
Speaker 1: I hope everyone is going to have a great weekend, and if you're feeling a little bit stuck for conversations, you.
Speaker 3: Just need to help you out. I think you made them dumber.
Speaker 2: I think that worked in the opposite way.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone's actually understands what. I can't wait for the next one Fact Friday. That's it Fromvascar.
Speaker 2: All anyone took from that is that the pope or a buffer jacket