Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. You are with Flexi and Free me.
Speaker 3: And the other day my friend broke up with their long term partner.
Speaker 1: How long.
Speaker 3: I would say seven years as a b one voice, and it's not looking good.
Speaker 4: Brave your friend listening, like, actually, I think I'm quite fine.
Speaker 3: And they downloaded a dating app for the first time ever. So I'm sitting with them and I'm showing them the lay of the land on this dating app, hinge name Drop. They had the standout sections. So this is a section where you can give people a rose. There's about ten eligible singles they've chosen that you can give a rose to, one a day or whatever.
Speaker 4: And it's presumed that this is like the best of the bunch, like the pick of the litter, pick of the okay.
Speaker 3: A runt freezer. And I'm looking through them and I see, oh my god, this is a guy that I've seen before. About an hour earlier, I was looking through my Instagram story views and this guy had like lovehearted one of my stories, which as we know, means obsessed with me. And so I clicked into him and I was looking at him and like, I was like.
Speaker 4: Oh, do you feel betrayed that he's on dating apps when he's liking your Instagram stories?
Speaker 1: Is that the problem?
Speaker 3: And then I was like, I need to get to the bottom of this. I know that he's seen my Instagram and so I probably have a free pass to slide into the dms, not to say that I want to date him, but rather to dig further because I want to know how do these people get into the road section? Are they paying money? Do they know that they're there? And so I messaged him and I said.
Speaker 1: You message the guy you recognized?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I had never seen him before. Here's a familiar face though I think he's on TV.
Speaker 4: This feels romantic, like a meet cute like Starcross lovers to be like.
Speaker 3: That, all right, I go, hey, f crying on the app or on instadms. Okay, my name is Lucinda. What do I get? The same minute, I am a massive fan smiley space smiley face. I go, ha haha, oh iconic, thank you. This is the randomest thing ever. But I just downloaded Hinge and went on the rose section and saw.
Speaker 1: You randomt thing ever. Shut This literally never happened.
Speaker 4: I was taking a walk through slum Loord village and came across your profile, and I thought, I organized that face. So I got out a Slummord village back into Farming Princess's house.
Speaker 3: And went to the row section and saw you and need to know if you know that they put you there? Exclamation mark, question mark.
Speaker 4: This is so crazy because if I was to be like, how did you recognize me there and here?
Speaker 1: Now you look crazy. It's not really adding up.
Speaker 4: As like a seamless flow of events.
Speaker 1: It's giving me like this.
Speaker 3: This is where plausible, where plausible deniability comes in. I then said, I want to talk about the section on my radio show. I mean, if they give you a radio show, you use the radio shows ladies. I wanted to know if people who are actually in there know that they are. Then a screenshot I said, standouts ha ha ha, he goes, oh my god, ha ha. I had no idea. I wish I wasn't in there, ha, I said, king, don't need to be humble, yeah, but go off. And then I said, ha, I think it's a good I'm going to contact Hinge and see how they calculated it.
Speaker 1: Are you the cops? What's going on?
Speaker 4: I found your profile taken a screenshot's evidence. I don't want to contact him. I'm going to do everything, but ask him on a day.
Speaker 3: And then I said, I thought, I and see if someone on there actually knows. First, then I finished, good luck, my king, salute, laughing face, and then he said, doing God's work for all of us.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and singe.
Speaker 4: So you said I would never go there, but I will use your likeness and your information and your experience for content.
Speaker 1: Thank you God, bless Flex.
Speaker 3: I'm just giving you the lowdown on F. It's not flexing frms. It's a guy starting with the name F. And yeah, I can't dox him, but no, you'll know who is all right here is recognize this man.
Speaker 4: Flexy ah, not even a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me mouth it to you.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, got it.
Speaker 3: Apparently he's the same age as us. When I see professional people, I think they're way older than me. Just bite the fact that I'm twenty four. It's so weird.
Speaker 1: It's my eyes.
Speaker 3: I think that's pretty interesting that they don't know. I mean, i'd want to know if I'm in Standouts. Hell, I have my profile open for half an hour and I start having a fucking panic attack, like, who's who can see me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What I will say is I assumed that the standouts were from the most liked profiles. Oh so like people who are receiving a lot of likes are going to be in standouts because algorithmically speaking, Hinge wants you to keep using the app.
Speaker 1: And so if you.
Speaker 4: Are also serve the most liked person number one, your odds of like actually having a conversation slim. But you're but because they're like attractive, you're incentiviz to stay on the app because like they're like hot. People are here and I could talk to them if we match.
Speaker 2: You know what they do?
Speaker 3: Can't confed more toniyd until we talk to a rep, and even then it's going to be a slim pickins.
Speaker 2: Let's talk to.
Speaker 3: When you download the app again, they put three hotties up the top.
Speaker 2: Then you start sifting through.
Speaker 1: Oh what do you get?
Speaker 3: You know, who aren't my type and people whose type I wouldn't be. And then just as you run out of likes because you can only like a certain amount of people a day, they hit you with a hottie.
Speaker 1: That's incredible, they do it.
Speaker 2: I swear it happened to me.
Speaker 1: I mean, good on them.
Speaker 4: I think what we need to remember about dating apps is it's a business model, and a very good one at that. It's selling you the prospect of love, which I think for most people is what they're searching for.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I prefer the prospect more than the real deal.
Speaker 4: I'd say yeah, because I think if if people wanted the real, real deal, you'd go to like a match maker.
Speaker 2: Should we do that? I don't know if they have.
Speaker 1: I need like a government match maker. Give me the census. Let me start looking at some things.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like, I don't want like a personality different one. I need like my doctor, get my blue book, you know, get my birth certificate. Get the sensors and pair me with people. Don't go on psychic vibes, not just the stats.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, are you on hinge?
Speaker 2: Are you on any dating apps?
Speaker 4: RYA?
Speaker 2: Is there any good over there?
Speaker 3: Haven't been in a while. No any matches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but everyone's like dipping in, dipping out babes here on tour. You get a nut, you go, you know, you get it? Not you go?
Speaker 2: It's too expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the price of love babe or clout.
Speaker 2: Should I reapply?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know what, No, I can't.
Speaker 3: It's like twelve dollars of bloody. It's like twenty four dollars a month. Yeah, I can't pay for that, not for the nut, not for unless it's a premium nut.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: If let's see is like LinkedIn, it's like a CV thing.
Speaker 1: It's good for optics to be seen and be seen.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon it is on that? Yeah? I did?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Ray is good?
Speaker 3: I made a really good friend off raya great shout out king you know who you are?
Speaker 1: Babes, what's going on? I'm looking at you.
Speaker 4: Something just changed, like your body got snatched. I don't know, like something happened.
Speaker 3: So we gotta we're gonna just wait for the Hinge representative to figure out the algorithm.
Speaker 1: I think they'll lie, that's for sure. I don't think we need to wait.
Speaker 4: I think if we were to speculate for sixty more minutes, we'd figure it out. The whole idea is like they're selling the prospect of love. I did try something the last time I was on Hinge. Where if you Because obviously the thought of giving someone a rose is just the most insufferable thing ever, very embarrassing. And what you often find is it like the hotties are in the rose section or the standout sections, and like everybody else is in the everybody else section. So what you do is you say no to every rose. You say no, no, no, no, no. You keep saying no because in the algorithm be like, Okay, that's not your type. We'll put the people you like in the rose section in quotations, and then all your feed becomes hotties.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to try that.
Speaker 1: I try it.
Speaker 2: It works.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to go back on a dating app for.
Speaker 1: Study.
Speaker 2: Let me just a few more people research.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, tune in to Cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.