Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 1: Jackie. Well, what were kids do? They have no idea about?
Speaker 3: When you wanted to walk through for a game hints and tips, you had to call an Nintendo hot lone.
Speaker 1: I want to get like cheat cost stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, the particular game I was playing was Game Boys Pokemon YEP, and I couldn't get through the dark cave with the diglets and I had to call this line and.
Speaker 1: For was it one of those sort of premium lines.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I didn't even get to the point where they gave me the walkthrough because I got told off my parents for calling their hot r But Nintendo would have a hot line that you can call and ask a specialist about games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these days you'll just watch what is it on Twitch? They're on with all their cheat codes and YouTube. They've got all these hacks. The other thing that I I was bore of my kids the other day with this is like years ago, before texting and mobile phones and everything like that, you simply go around to your friend's house just to see if they were in. You'd have to knock on the door, as nobody else'd buy their mum or Dad, and they might not be in. If they weren't in, there was that walk of shame when you had to then get the bus home or that. So kids the data that would ever have any idea, there's no whatsapping or anything like that. You had to go around somebody's house and walk out whether or not they're coming out to play. All right, let's tack some calls then about what will kids today have no idea about? On Facebook page? The terrifying excitement of a girl giving you her house number to ask you out. Radio Mike, who I believe is a friend of yours, paying one dollar sixty nine for a track on iTunes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found an old eyeball the other day. I said, that's so much money trapped in that fee. I mean so much money now going to stream.
Speaker 4: It for like ten bucks a month or whatever it is on Spotify multiplayer meant sitting beside your brother playing Super Mario Brothers on the snares and then starting a full on brawl. That's from mer Joe waiting for computer games to load off the cassette tape, then realizing it fell because the volume was wrong. Servo attendance, Christian. I remember in Australia when there were a tendency used to fill up your car for you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I only say that as an American thing in American movies.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's from Nick. Now, Peter, what would kids today have no idea about.
Speaker 5: No idea about the classic wall phone, the landline with the extended cord. I'd be talking to my girlfriend and I wanted to tell I love her, and I'd go into the cupboard and shut the door so now and us could hear it, and I'd say, I love you.
Speaker 1: This is how we used to be. This is love in the eighties. I was the same as you.
Speaker 4: My dad wouldn't step to the long cord, so I actually drag the phone into the understairs cupboard, shut myself in the dock and go love you.
Speaker 3: Terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was illicit love in the eighties.
Speaker 4: You'll like hiding on that phone and then you were your sister would yell at you You've been on too long.
Speaker 1: Peter.
Speaker 4: Were also only allowed to make calls to friends in the evening when it was half priced.
Speaker 2: Oh look, that was about the case.
Speaker 5: And I'd tell you whenever the landline would ring, it'd be like now the phone's ringing. Who is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the world's calling.
Speaker 4: Who's come through the land with a message for us to that special line through earth? Peter, thank you very much, you call mate, that's calling the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, Ryan, Yah.
Speaker 1: Welcome to show. And what would kiss today?
Speaker 3: Have no idea about the way to tell if your friends were home, there would be a pile of bikes out in the front of their house.
Speaker 4: You are all just dumped on top of each other and there was like an orgy of bikes there. Definitely, Ryan, thank you very much. Chicolle's got a peete. We well, kids today have no idea about.
Speaker 2: Ah, the magic and wonder of a cassette tape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there.
Speaker 4: Were enough very flimsy tenants, you weren't they spoiling it with that pencil and then we get chewed up in the tape.
Speaker 2: Deck putting a bit of sticky tape over the tab so you could record over a recorded tape, and the elation of actually fast forwarding is stopping right at the beginning of the track.
Speaker 1: It was a fine art. It was a fine art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you did that, people would steer in wonder. You were a legend. It was great, But yeah, you could have also the drama of having to try and pull the tape out, or listening to a song that slowed right down in the middle because you heard it too much, but that it was fantastic.
Speaker 4: There was the other thing that if you left on the dashboard in the heat and it got all mounted, that was the end of that album. I'm not in the ocean in the car, all right, Pete, thank you very much. Christian overhead projectors and transparencies in school classrooms, do you remember the OHP, that loud noise that used to make as well? And they used to have that piece of paper where they wouldn't want you reading ahead or too much the lesson.
Speaker 1: They were to get really protective about that cover that over.
Speaker 3: They would block out the Christians.
Speaker 4: Coming, all the good stuff's yet to come.
Speaker 3: I feel like they always put that transparent piece of paper down the wrong way first and then had to flip it over.
Speaker 1: Every lesson we're talking about.
Speaker 4: What were kids these days have no idea about cars without air conditioning or power steering. Yeah, pain by check feels like a real old school thing now, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Christian.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying I did this, but connecting your friends vcr to yours, to illegally copy movie, paying twenty five cents per text, creating ring tones, pushing corresponding numbers.
Speaker 3: Remember in text when we was paying for every text and you had one hundred and sixty characters and you'd start backspace, backspace, What can I lose? So this is on the cost of one text now too.
Speaker 4: Tapping out phone number on a rotary dial phone using the button and the cradle, if your parents had put a lock in it. My dad did put a lock on it. Kids would have no idea about handing an assignment on floppy disk, hearing the pips on a payphone. Christian when the Christmas countdown to number one was a really really big thing about who it's going to be this year.
Speaker 1: And then Romperum. I remember Romperum. They used to say grace before the kids had their snacks. They were to.
Speaker 4: Say this God is great, God is good, and let us thank him for our food. As a kid, it bothered me installed us that good and food do not rhyme.
Speaker 3: Only on paper. Looks right, yeah, sound right?
Speaker 1: Thank you Carol.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go back to what kids today would have no idea about.
Speaker 6: Tim Yeah, I'm the guy that people rang up if they got stuck on a video game. I'm the guy.
Speaker 1: So who did you work for?
Speaker 6: I worked, but it was my first job, my very first job I had, and I always say I picked way too early.
Speaker 3: I found it incredible. So I used to call the Nintendo hotline in time before Internet, when you couldn't get tips or walk throughs. I called the Nintendo hot line to a guy who knew essentially every part of every game. How did you know so much about the games?
Speaker 6: We basically played them? So we in our hotline we had two huge cupboards full of games.
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 6: What was Basically you came into work, you cracked them. So there was four main guys and I was one of them, and we were all called Sega masters at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember masters. I remember we had a game some of my friends. Do you remember wonder Boy?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, wonderful game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wonderful game. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can never very far on that, which I'd called you if you about you about then, Tim.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we could have. But ironically, the most common game we ever got called up about was a game called that Alex Kidd in Miracle World, and it was like every second call was about this game. And the first thing they'd say is I'm stuck in a room and say, all right, we're just given the sequence and we'd say some wave moon starts, some moon waves, fish starfish, and they were the symbols. But they had the war cave up to finish the game.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a song off Rump Room.
Speaker 1: Was a different kind of song.
Speaker 6: We all have nightmares about that room because we can still remember the scenon.
Speaker 1: Well, lovely to chat, Tim, Thank you very much to give us a call.
Speaker 6: Nowhere's guys, they're around. Bite The Christian O'Connell Show podcast