Speaker 1: Tammy Hembro is Australia's most talked about influencer. At nineteen, she made it big on social media when she shared her fitness journey while pregnant.
Speaker 2: This is my first blog again, so like it might be a little bad. I don't know if it's going to be boring or what, but hope you guys enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Tammy's life is far from boring. The fitness influencer and her family are Australia's answer to the Kardashians. In fact, she's even been involved in a few Kardashian scandals herself.
Speaker 3: A model explains why she had to leave Kaylie Janno's Los Angeles birthday party in a stretcher.
Speaker 1: By sharing her life online, Tammy has attracted over twenty million followers and built an empire worth fifty million dollars. What has really kept her followers glued are her romantic relationships. Over the last ten years, the internet has borne witness to three engagements, three children, one epic wedding and now a divorce. We are journalist Sophie and Kate Talbert and in this special Outspoken series, we explored the real story behind the rise of Tammy Hembro. This is going to be our most highly requested deep dive. Every time we put up a question box asking who you want us to discuss, Tammy Hembro is number one. There's a definite fascination with her and I can see why because she has lived her life so publicly for so long now, but she's always kept it interesting for us. She's always kept her followers on their toes, particularly when it comes to her relationships. Oh she has now I want to go back to the beginning. So. Tammy was born on the twenty second of April nineteen ninety four to her parents, Natalie Stanley and Mark Hembro. So it's pretty crazy because her parents actually met in Trinidad Tobago back in nineteen eighty nine when her dad was acting in a TV show called The Last Island. So Natalie was born in Trinidad and ended up moving back to Australia with Mark. So Tammy was the youngest of her parents' three daughters. She grew up with her sisters Amy and Emily, who are four and two years old at rest, respectively. Tammy has described her childhood as being simple but fun. Her family moved around a bit but she spent most of her younger years in the Curumbin Valley, which is a really beautiful part of the Gold Coast which actually borders with New South Wales and it used to be part of the Southeast Queensland Rainforest. And am I surprise people to hear? But the town that Tammy grew up in had just eighty people, while only a handful of kids went to her primary school. And Tammy said that she was naturally a very shy kid who was a barefoot flower child. It did surprise me that she grew up in such a small town. She doesn't really give off small town vibes, does show now while she was a shy kid, she grew up wanting to follow in her dad's footsteps and become an actor. So in Tammy's book Step Up, she described her dad as being somewhat famous in Australia. So I had to do a stalk of Mark Hembrose Wikipedia. And he was a guest actor in a lot of eighties and nineties TV shows that I'm not familiar with, as well as acting in a lot of theater productions. The one TV role I got excited about was he was a guest singer on Mister Squiggle. He also played Georgie Saint on fifty five episodes of The Young Doctors in the late seventies. He was interviewed on Matt Zakowski's podcast Hastened to That one. He you could tell he loved talking about his acting days. Can you say about himself? That made me that too. He was very sweet. He seemed very eccentric. That's the vibe that I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Tammy's parents ended up getting divorced when she and her sisters were very young, and in her book, Tammy said her parents fought a lot, to the point where her sisters and her don't know how they were even together. And when her parents split, Tammy and her sisters ended up living with their dad on a farm. So the house they lived in was this old reception venue where they used tables as walls and they had an outside bath. After seeing the lifestyle that Tammy is living now, I can't picture her living on a farm, but it is quite nice to know these details about her childhood now. Tammy's mum, Natalie, went on to marry a successful businesess man and had four more children, ava Scarlet, Honre and Maximus, and a lot of people have compared Natalie to Chris Jennet. That is because there has always been this comparison that the Hembros are Australia's answer to the Kardashian family because there's so many sisters, so many siblings, and also because Tammy's mom looks a bit like Chris Jenny. I mean, there is an uncanny resemblance there. She has got the dark hair, she definitely looks a lot like her. I think the comparison between the Hembros and the Kardashians is often made also because there was a crossover there, and we will go into that later in this series. Now, when Tammy was twelve, she decided to move to Singapore to be with her mum and her stepdad and her sisters Amy and Emily had already made the move to the island country, but Tammy saw out her primary schooling in Queensland. So Tammy's life in Singapore was the complete opposite of what she'd been living in rural Queensland. Her stepdad was, as you said, Sophi, an extremely successful businessman and they were living an absolute life of luxury, and Tammy said it was unlike anything she had seen up close before and had only seen in the movies. Why am I getting crazy rich agents in my head? I love that movie. We have been visiting Singapore since our early teenage years, and it is such an incredible place. Like you say that as if we're there all the time. I think I've been there like five times. Five times is quite a lot. I love in Singapore how you can only drive a new car, so there's only new cars on the road. You can't have an old bomb. A lot of people are walking around in designer gear. It's got a very rich vibe to it. In Tammy's books, she wrote a lot about what a pivotal part her stepdad's library played in this change. She said that reading books about successful business people in the library made her want to become one herself. I love the fact that they were living in such an opulent house that they had their own library. I think that really bates a picture of our successful He was in business. Yeah, And it was clear that Tammy was really motivated by this success that she saw with her stepdad and wanted to follow in his entrepreneurial footsteps. Knowing that she wanted to make it big for a long time, Tammy didn't know what she actually wanted to do. And Tammy said she began spiraling after leaving high school and started partying and smoking weed and she had no motivation and felt lost and depressed. And that was until she discovered meditation, which she said changed her. So from meditation, she turned to yoga and became an instructor and she then found her passion for fitness and exercise in the gym. Yeah, and when she moved back to Australia, she ended up enrolling in a business degree at Bond University and chose to study business for two reasons. The first was she wanted to follow in a step dad's footsteps, and the second was because she didn't want to work at nine to five, which a lot of us can relate to. While Tammy was starting at university, this is when she started to share fitness content on her Instagram. And this was at a time when Instagram was really at its infancy stage. No one was sharing content like this, and it didn't take Tammy long to hit fifteen thousand followers on the platform, which was a pretty substantial following back then because Instagram, as you said, it wasn't very popular. We didn't have heaps of influencers on it like we do now, And in the meantime, Tammy wasn't enjoying UNI. The only class that really made sense to her was one about entrepreneurship, and it was in that class that she decided she wanted to be her own boss, and she figured she may as well make the most of the following she had and launched a business. So at nineteen, with one month of her studies to go, Tammy dropped out of UNI to become an entrepreneur. I don't get this. Why would you not just stick it out for one more month? No, just to get the piece of paper. Yeah, because it gives you so much credibility and something to fall back on if things didn't go to plan. I remember hearing that Sarah's day had I think one semester left or half a year left of her teaching degree, and it always surprised me that she didn't just complete it. Mmmm. I know, I really don't get it either.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Life had other plans for Tammy, though. Just as she started working on her business idea, she accidentally fell pregnant with her first son, Wolf. She was just nineteen at the time, and was told her life was ruined. That's terrible. It is as a message to tell someone who has fallen pregnant unexpectedly so young. Well, she really showed everyone, didn't She Now her baby daddy was Reese Hawkins, a guy Tammy had been dating for only a few months. In a YouTube Q and A in twenty sixteen, this is what Tammy said about her timeline with Reese. How long have me and Race been together?
Speaker 3: We've been together like three years? Well longer than three years. Wait, how's Wolf? We weren't together for that long before we found out we're pregnant with Wolf. Actually probably just like a couple of months. That sounds so bad, but we were actually like so in love, like we knew we wanted to be together forever anyway already. Like I'm pretty sure Reese told me he was in love with me like a week after we met, and I didn't say it back, And I'm kidding I did.
Speaker 1: I loved watching this whole Q and A, the way she spoke about Reese. It was so funny watching about knowing what we all know now, just seeing how young and in love they actually were at the time. It sounds very old school because they actually met at a bar, which obviously everyone seemed to meet on the apps or by sliding into DMS now and Tammy said it was love at first sight. He's more of what she said about that encounter.
Speaker 3: We first met at a bar. I was actually pretty intoxicated, not gonna lie. I was with a couple of girlfriends and our friends were friends with his friends. When I first saw him, I went up to him and I grabbed his face, and I was like, you are so beautiful, because he was literally like the most beautiful man I ever saw. So it was kind of love at first sight. I didn't honestly, I didn't remember the full night like all that clearly. But the next weekend I was going to a friend's party. He was actually like really good friends with the guy who was having the party, so he was there as well, which was just such a coincidence, and we just talked on night. We hung out together that whole night time at the party. We fell in love from there. We were just inseparable. He was obsessed with me, like he was not gonna lie, pretty obsessed with me. But I was obsessed with him too.
Speaker 1: So I love that she grabbed his face and said he was a beautiful man. Because she's right, he is a stunning looking man, say aesthetically a beautiful man. Well. As for finding out she was pregnant with Wolf, Tammy said that she and Reese were both in shock. According to Tammy, she couldn't speak and Reese looked like he was about to pass out. Once they did get over the initial shock, though, they said that they were both very excited now. When it came to choosing the now infamous name, Tammy said.
Speaker 2: This, what made you name wolf?
Speaker 3: Wolf? We were in the car one day and I just remember throwing it out, was like wolf, and I think Reese was like at first, like I don't think so, but then it grew on him and he was like, yeah. We had a few other names as well, but all the names that I liked were like really out there. A wolf was one we chose.
Speaker 1: I want to know what these other names were, because for me, particularly ten years ago or over ten years ago, wolf would have been pretty out Yeah. The other names must have been are really out there now if you do cast him mind. Back to twenty twenty two, Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott originally named their son Wolf, but later changed his name to Air, and almost two months after giving birth, Kylie wrote on her Instagram story, FYI, our son's name isn't Wolf anymore. We just really didn't feel like it was him. Just wanted to share because I keep seeing Wolf everywhere. It's rumored that Kylie changed the name because of Tammy. We will go into Tammy's connection to the Kardashians a little bit later, but from a top level. Kylie and Tammy became friends after she modeled for Chloe's brand Good American, and Tammy was infamously stretched out of Kylie's twenty first birthday party and was also linked to Kylie's ex Tiger, So it is likely that Kylie was well aware of Tammy's son's name, and just hours after Kylie went public with her son's name, Tammy shared a photo of her and her son Wolf with the caption Wolfe's mum. At the time, Tammy was also pregnant with her third child, Posey, and she had a lot of people trying to guess her unborn child's name. Tammy responded to one of the name guesses on TikTok with the comment, actually like the name Stormy. At the moment. Stormy Now is, of course the name of Kylie's first child. I absolutely love the pettiness of influencer and celebrity baby names because it's the biggest fuck you if you copy someone's name. But in the real world it would be taken as quite a compliment if you like someone's name.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think there would still be people that would be annoyed, particularly if you had had a run in with that person. But I think the influencers are just trying so hard to be unique. Yeah, there is an element of that too. Now back to nineteen year old Tammy. After dropping out of UNI, she found herself pregnant and working as a telemarketer selling solar panels while she worked on her business idea. And Tammy said that the job sucked and she would cry after shifts because people would hang up on her. Can you imagine if you were someone that got a call from Tammy herbroke Why do I feel like she wouldn't be that good on the phone. I feel like she would grumble in that situation. I think anyone would. It doesn't sound like a fun job. No, Well, she ended up leaving that job to work in a clothing store, but she said that she was barely making ends meet and the highlight of her day was posting about the gym, so she went five times a week even while she was pregnant. And while most people love that she was young, pregnant, and positive, Tammy also copped criticism online for working out while she was pregnant. She was even told that her body wouldn't be the same after she had a baby, so she couldn't be a fitness guru. I'm really feeling for nineteen year old Tammy here. It seems like she is facing some very unfair judgment and criticism now. In her book, Tammy said that when people tell her she can't do something, it gives her more motivation. So it seemed like this really made her more determined to prove the naysayers wrong, and she forged ahead with the idea of her own business. And ironically, Tammy's following skyrocketed when she started sharing about her pregnancy and motherhood alongside fitness Now. The goal was to save enough money to launch her business idea, a fitness ebook called Tammy Fit, and she was motivated to launch an e book because her gym post got so many likes that she figured a workout guide was the perfect business idea. The initial outlay was four hundred dollars for someone to illustrate the exercises in the PDF, so once she saved the money, she quit her job in retail and focused on tammy Fit full time. Now. The launch of tammy Fit coincided with another massive milestone for Tammy, the birth of her first child, so Wolfe was born via an emergency C section. Tammy did plan on having a vaginal birth without medical intervention, but said it didn't take long for her to be rolling on the floor in pain, begging for an epidural, but instead the best of us, doesn't it now. Unfortunately, a Wolf's heartbeat was elevated and he was in distress, so they opted for the emergency C section. I feel like Tammy was really clever and strategic about the release date because almost immediately after the birth of wolf that's when she launched her fitness ebook, and that is when so many eyeballs would have been on her page because so many people were so interested in this young mum who was having her first child at nineteen. I mean, yes, it was a strategic move in the sense that people would buy it, but it was really difficult for her personally because it was such a double whammy for her. She was dealing with being a first time mum and also a first time business owner, so in between looking after her newborn son, Wolf, Tammy sent out the PDFs herself. She also started earning money from Instagram promotions, and she saved all the money she earned from the PDFs and her Instagram promos and put it all back into her her business. So she decided to take her PDF guides to the next level and launched an app. At the time, no one else was doing fitness apps, and Tammy did what her stepdad taught her capitalize, reinvest, and grow, so all the money she earned was invested straight back into the Tammy Fit app. We now know that app has been downloaded over one point seven million times. It's pretty remarkable and I don't think enough people give Tammy Hembro credit over her business brain and just how she was able to grow something from nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the accolades did begin rolling in for Tammy Hembro and critics started calling her an overnight success. But before she even had the chance to revel in her success, life threw another challenge at her at twenty one, she became pregnant with her second child, sas Gear, when Wolf was just six months old. She also now had a million dollar business to look after. Whilst this would be challenging, I think it also worked really well for her Instagram because people were excited that there was another pregnancy that they could follow along with. I mean, it's a bit confusing whether this pregnancy was planned or not, because in Tammy's book she acted as if falling pregnant a second time wasn't planned. But in a Q and A back in twenty sixteen, she said this and.
Speaker 3: Saskia was planned. We were like, let's just get another one out of the way, so then we'll has a little friend to play with. I didn't realize how hard it would actually be, but is so. I'm glad we had both of them and the most beautiful, amazing thing that's ever happened to us.
Speaker 1: I feel like Tammy would have said that Saski was planned due to a lot of judgment online and oh this is a mistake. Oh they haven't been together for very long. Yeah, exactly. She probably felt like she needed to defend it, and now years later she can say, actually, it wasn't a planned thing. Now. Tammy wanted to try a vaginal birth with Saskia, but by the end of her pregnancy she discovered she had a condition which created extra amnionic fluid around the baby, so she was advised to have another C section. Saskia was born at thirty seven weeks and five days, and the post birth recovery was really tough on Tammy. Her scarcely open and she had to have it dressed and packed every day for a month. Looking back at an old blog from this time, I was really shocked to discover the whole Saskia was a month old, her dad, Reese Hawkins, went on a boy's trip to Bali. Keep in mind Tammy was still having to get her scar dressed daily, and at this point she also had a toddler to look after. So Red Flagg got a good move, and knowing what I know now, it is clear that things were becoming rocky between the pair. As a viewer, it appeared like Tammy was doing everything while he was doing the absolute bare minimum. Yeah, in one blog I saw he was complaining about how tired he was, Yet Tammy had been the one getting up and doing all of the feeding with a newborn without any help. In Tammy's book, she opened up about this and wrote, my partner was busy when the babies were born, so it was all down to me. I was determined to do it all by myself, which again highlights to me how remarkable this woman is. She's nineteen and twenty one and she's running a business whilst looking after two very young kids. Rather than slowing down, Tammy did the complete opposite. So, with two children under two and a million dollar business to run, Tammy decided to launch an active wear brand, Saskia Collection, named after her newborn daughter. A lot of people thought she was taking on too much, but for Tammy, it was a move that felt right. She's very smart. She knew that she had to strike while the iron's hot. She has a newborn daughter, there's a lot of interest around her. Let's launch an active wear brand named after the daughter, who has a unique name.
Speaker 2: It is genius.
Speaker 1: It was a smart move because she had a lot of brands who wanted to sponsor her, and she was having to wear these brands on her Instagram even though she didn't actually like any of the clothes and For Tammy, she had started her own business so she didn't have to do what people told her to do, and she was starting to I feel like she had a boss telling her what to wear and when to wear it, and she didn't like it, so she's like, I just want to make my own clothing line. That's interesting because Kayla, it'ds seen, has had a similar philosophy where she didn't want to have so many sponsored posts on her Instagram. She wanted to have her own app and her own brand so that she didn't have to rely on it. And Kayla has been someone even though she doesn't have her own active wear brand, who has just worn whatever whatever she likes, not because she's getting paid to do so. Hmmm. Well, with Tammy, it got to the point where she couldn't physically do it all anymore with her two businesses, and finally she asked for some help and that came in the form of her older sister Amy working with her at sask A Collection. And at the time, sadly, Tammy felt like she couldn't trust outsiders because she had people trying to leach off her. There'd be so many people trying to grow a following off the back of her and potentially also people spreading rumors about her and her relationship if they got into deep Yeah, exactly, and with Amy being her sister, she felt like she could trust her, plus she actually had her own business experience. Unfortunately, though, it didn't take long for things to deteriorate between the sisters, so Tammy and Amy began having constant arguments about the direction of the business, and Tammy felt like Amy wouldn't listen to her or respect that she was the boss. Oh, we've all been there before, haven't we running businesses with sisters. It's a very interesting dynamic because I feel like everyone wants to be the boss, and it would be difficult having your younger sister telling you what to do. It's particularly difficult when you're all the same age and you'll want to be the boss's well or. Tammy actually ended up firing Amy from her role as general manager of Saskia Collection. It's just something that we would do, and Tammy says their relationship improved as soon as they stopped working together. Is that a bit of a sign? Okay, no, we will still be working together. Funnily enough, Amy is now the general manager of Tammy fit and Tammy says Amy was instrumental in her business's success, so maybe it was just the wrong business model. Yeah, And in an interview she said she wouldn't have been able to do it without Amy. Lovely Now. In her book, Tammy revealed that relationships are the most important thing to her, but it also her Achilles heel, which I think we can all probably agree upon. She said she was struggling to juggle her business and personal life and then everything came tumbling down. After four years, two children, and a pear shaped engagement ring, Tammy broke up with Reese Hawkins in June twenty eighteen, and in her book, Tammy explained it got to the point where every time she spoke to Reese things fell further apart.
Speaker 2: Of course, there's love there and kids involved too, so you try again and again as hard as you can to make it work until it doesn't. For a long time, feeling guilty about the inevitable fallout stopped me from taking the action I knew my partner and I needed. When things don't work out, many people find it hard not to blame themselves, and sure, I'm all for a ability, but in these situations. It's not really your fault or the other person's fault either. It's the relationship. The relationship failed, not you, not one, not the other, but your combination.
Speaker 1: Now Tammy said it took everything within her to see it as a failed relationship rather than a failed Tammy and to keep going. She said she felt intense guilt, which made her want to become a supermum. She wrote, I told myself I had to do it all to be at all. There's no mother guilt like broken relationship, mother guilt and desperation that your kids won't be sad because of it. In her book, Tammy didn't refer to Reese by his name, but instead called him Wolf and Saskia's dad. And in recent years she's tried to be really respectful of Reese and the role that he plays in his kids lives because she's really aware that anything she says about him in the media, her kids can go and read. Yeah. She has put a lot of effort into her co parenting relationship with Reese Hawkins. Now. Tammy revealed that breaking up with Reese was the hardest thing she's ever gone through as a child of divorce parents. She hated the idea of becoming a single mum, and she had been so determined to make things work, but in the end, she said that they were young, and people change.
Speaker 2: We grew in opposite directions. What do you do when your home life isn't the happy dream your heart chose for you? Do you stay together for the kids? The longer we stayed together, the more unhappy our home became, and I didn't want to want my kid's idea of what a healthy relationship looks like. In the end, it was a straightforward decision. Do what was best for my home and my children, do what was best for us all.
Speaker 1: No one can underestimate how huge this breakup was on social media. As you touched on Kate, we'd had this perfect engagement with the pear shaped ring, which a lot of people have focused on in years to come because people liked to compare her different engagement rings. But they really did hold up this idea that they were the perfect young couple. Everyone thought, Wow, I want to be a young mom and dad like Reese and Tammy, and then that illusion seemed to be shattered when they broke up. Yeah, and this is the point where everyone became utterly obsessed with Tammy Hembro's love life because we met her as a young pregnant woman who had a partner, this doting partner he was painted online to be, and suddenly there were cracks in this perfect image. Yeah, and whilst we have touched on the fact that Tammy has been very respectful and a great co parent in the years to come, when things were fresh after this breakup, there was a lot of animosity between the pair and there was a bit of slinging publicly online, which we will get into in next week's episode, because that is where we are going to.
Speaker 2: Leave you today.
Speaker 1: Next time we will be diving deep into the aftermath of Tammy and Reese's breakup. While the couple vowed to remain civil for their children, it didn't take long for a slinging match to erupt as new partners entered the picture, and in the midst of it all, Tammy Hembro made Internet national headlines for all the wrong reasons. Thank you again for listening to Outspoken. This podcast was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide Plains. We pay respect to elders past and present