Speaker 1: Hey, legends, Welcome back to the Mason cock Show. Big episode today. Plenty happened in the AFL. The subs, Yes, the super subs saved the day for quite a few teams. Over the weekend. We had Carlton close nail Boughder loss to Adelaide. We're gonna break that down. We also have West Coast Eagles get a w on the board. There's plenty going on this episode. We have no idea who the top it's gonna be, but we're gonna dive into this more starting now. All right, ladies and gentlemen, we've got a big episode. I feel rested. I feel a bit rested over the weekend. The weekend off, you know, had a little bit of a biewek for the column of Football Club. But there was a lot of footy on the weekend that we're gonna cover here, but without further ado, welcome brighton to the pod.
Speaker 2: Big big week. Last week we were both seek both struck down. Rough you a little different to me. You had the gastro. I just had the man flu.
Speaker 1: The worst feeling on a flight with gastro. Couldn't think of a worse experience, just terrible.
Speaker 2: It's risky. It's like akin to like going through the Burnley Tunnel. You get trapped in there. Some people have a phobia of trapped places.
Speaker 1: In the West Gate like trap there and you're like, oh man, it was so bad when getting to the point where you like take off you're allowed to get out of your seat or anything, and it kind of like hit me. And I looked at the hostess and I said, I'm gonna need to switch seats. I'm an exit row. I swapped seats to the seat next to the bathroom because it was that bad. And she was like, if you need to get up, you can go. And I think you could see it in my face. You could just see it and it was coming. And it was a rough flight, only an hour hour and a half from Adelaide, but yeah, it wasn't great. And then you got I had.
Speaker 2: The man flew, which is different. I just had flem and stuff coming out, but I didn't have the other stuff, didn't have the both ends stuff, which is like there's that horror story of the I reckon. It happened last year where someone lost it on a plane and they filmed it and they was like boo all the way down.
Speaker 1: The hallwaycon for it was just liquid. I could tell a story of someone doing that in the car as a kid, in my parents' car as a kid. That's another story there. But we're going to get into the footy broken. We got plenty, but it's sorry to everyone listening. There's cringe way to go about this from the beginning. But we'll go straight into what we start every podcast with the clangers of the week. What do you have?
Speaker 2: Well, I went with Jake Stringer. He's not the clanger. I'm not playing Jake Stringer. Jake Stringer had a great game on the weekend, and he's been in great form this year and consistent. But this one he went up and won a free kick for a one v four, which is great. You saw all these Bulldogs players coming from everywhere and there's Jake one man out, gets the free kick, ball, dribbles over to back to Kyle Langford. So Stringer was probably a meter outside the goal square. You probably want to take that kick, yeah, but Kyle Langford gets it, looks at the He's like, yeah, well you can play on. He's like okay, looks back, sees Jake Stringer in the square. Black that the free kick and he's like, come on, yeah, give it, give it, it's mine, give it to give it to me, and he just dribbles it through Carl lang for just like nah, I actually screw you, I want it and just kicks the goal and like I mean, Jake Stringer. It took a couple of attempts after the game to be like he got I reckon. He got interviewed like three times and it was like what were you thinking, Like, well, you're upset, and he's like, nah, like our goal, team goal or whatever. I think BUCKS was going like it was a it's really like ess Anon barometer thing, like you want the team to be like it's our goal, not my goal. And then eventually they got it out of him and it's like, mate, I earned it. I worked hard for that, Like just give me the ball and I would have put it through, but no, he had a good game, and I mean leave it, leave it to Stringer. It's it's his. He earned it, given the ball, given the ball, so he's my clanger is car length.
Speaker 1: There's nothing worse than seeing well, if you get a free kick, some midfielder just grab it, plays on, gets smothered and the ball goes back another fifteen. You're like, come on, then, I.
Speaker 2: See it with you all the time, like you draw a free kick, like miracles happen, and then you'll see like Nick Dakos comes through. By the time getting that film, you're in the background looking around for like, where's the ball? It's my free kick and Nick Dakos is already thirty meters away.
Speaker 1: Fifty and I'm still figuring out what's going on.
Speaker 2: They were They're the ones that cost you getting into those double figures, like, yeah, the big double figure games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just robbed. What's your I've got one from the Richmond West Coast game, which was a big game this week. I didn't really expect that, but we're gonna get into it later.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I had Harry. Now we all know, very very meticulously looked at person at the moment right now number one draft picked. Everyone's looking at them going okay, now, this whole thing is the matchup of him and Dusty. They're like, oh, the two bulls going out at ball Dusty. Yeah, And it just was one of the things they asked him was like, oh, if you get a chance, you know, do a little finned off the Dusty too. Dusty, what you do it? And he's like, yeah, I mean I assume so. And they pumped it up. They pumped it beyond boy.
Speaker 2: You know what was the thing? They interviewed barrass during the week and that bloke is loose because his thing, this I don't know.
Speaker 1: Pumped him up to be the next guard to football.
Speaker 2: This wouldn't fly at most places. But he's like, oh yeah, at the piss up, he just fights the rucks. It's like, what do you mean at the piss up, don't say at the piss up he batches the rucks less on the piss up.
Speaker 1: Outside down. He's a good player, but not on the weekend. And then there was a moment in the contest right that he got the ball and Dusties in front of him. He kind of like just barely nudges him with the hand, and the comte was like, you know, like the DiCaprio remember from Wolf Wash over there, and then they're like, oh man, he did the Dusty and Dusty incredible, incredible scenes. I can't believe it. I can't believe what I've seen with my eyes. It was just a little brush. It wasn't really it was it was as if he had like literally picked him up and thrown him to the ground and done a proper fend off. But it was nothing, and it just everyone was just waiting for that moment. They just blew it up as media does, to be a massive ordeal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was kind of it's like on the back pedal falling over and gets the handball out or whatever. It was like, he did it. He did it. I think it was more impressive last week where he got like the record for most broken tackles or whatever, and he's like he's a teenager like that. That was insane. I want to move this one up from the rundown, but the real don't argue that should have got all the attention and no one's talking about it. Is I call him my key because it's a lot easier to say, what's the Mikey lafout.
Speaker 1: Teerful pronouncing right?
Speaker 2: But he absolutely killed a bloke. He like tried to jump on him like a jumping spider tackle and he just held him in one hand and just threw him through the earth. It was theiest like don't argue I've ever seen, like ever, And yeah, but everyone just glossed over it because they're all looking for the Harley Red Dustin Martin like, don't argue, but yeah, so what are you giving it to the commentators?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're to the commentators on Harley Reed versus Dusty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get.
Speaker 1: Into the games you got right off the bat. We got Melbourne versus Brisbane. You could say this was an upset. This is at the MCG, Brisbane known to you know, have the fortress up, there comes down away game, Melbourne at home and Melbourne takes the l.
Speaker 2: Yeah you could, Yeah, you could say it was an upset. It was definitely an upset. I feel like where Brisbane's at. Everyone in the commentary around they can't win at the G or whatever. And if you look at the score, sixty to eighty two, very flat flattering. Melbourne had a shot after the siren. They could have brought it back to like seventeen. But this was an ass kicking. Yeah, Brisbane flogged Melbourne like they made them look second rate like it was. It was a pretty dominant performance by Brisbane and didn't they handle it well because he jumped straight into Noah Ainsworth taunting Petty, which is yeah, this I mean, they don't forget because forget. This thing came up a couple of years ago. We all know the incident. Peddy was brought to tears after a taunt and then yeah, Noah Ainsworth, who I'm not gonna lie. I had to look up to see who he was. I didn't know who Noahrainsworth was. Shoot me. I think he's played fifty games anyway, he's the big wig out there. He did a double taunt, which not a lot of people picked up because he was on the you're a big fan of on the mark, the mark as well, you like the market can't do much anymore? Well, well you could say that Petty's kind of gone a bit thin in the feather department. I don't think that's not obvious, but he's got a bit of a landing patch at the back. And Noah Ainsworth was bent over on the mark doing circles above his head, going like you're going board back there. Then he missed. Then he gave him are you going to cry?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: So yeah, it didn't go down well kind of in the Brisbane camp, well, at least outwardly. I don't know if they celebrated it inwardly, but yeah, it was a it was a big game, big win for him. You want to see him do it with a bit more respect. But lucky Neil, two fifty fifty yea for him? Have you you would have been close to him playing in the midfield as the ruck. Yeah, how's he go about it?
Speaker 1: He's very good. He's one of those people whenever you play against him, it's hit it away from him and see where like is on the field, See where he is in front of you. Tap it the other direction so he can't get it. He's an absolute ball and side. I mean two and fifty games to rack that up. I'm not sure how old he's anything. He's around thirty years old, but he's been a start of the game, Brola medalist. Obviously he's he's absolutely smashed it. So two and fifty games hak him accomplishment? Chaired off at the end, rightfully. I know we have this whole thing of like one hundred hundred and fifty two hundred, what do we chair off? What do we do extra? All these kind of stuff that we always contemplate. But two fifty I got the clap off, which was pretty cool. And you know, to win a game that probably a lot of people didn't expect you to win massively awesome, awesome experience, one who'll look back on.
Speaker 2: Finally, Okay, so the chair ride for two fifty, I said, not massive on it, but if it depends where they are in their career, if you see him winding up or whatever. Both teams did the guard of honor for the chair ride. I don't see that. I don't think two point fifty your Melbourne. Right, you're Melbourne. You just got flogged on your home deck and you're going over to be like, well done mate, thanks for flogging us, great job. I can't believe that the Melbourne fans aren't sitting there going yeah, good one, lucky Neil, like they're not sticking behind.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's many Melbourne fans.
Speaker 2: No, you wouldn't think so. But yeah, it looked like Melbourne were really limping towards that. By I reckon, they're going to have to look back at the decision for this zero round because I reckon a lot of teams that started the week earlier kind of limping towards this by period. We saw it with a couple of teams on the weekend. Collingwood were kind of lucky to get across the line in the end against Hawthorne.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of those teams that played the Round zero were teams that made the finals and had a longer season except Yeah, so it's kind of an interesting thought process behind that of like you have a shorter offseason, then the other teams that didn't make finals that wouldn't be in Round zero. Yeah. If you look at the teams that kind of played in that first or the zero round, most of those were teams that they wanted to kind of build anticipation, build kind of a big crowd and hype around you know, them playing in that first game. So you can't see both sides of it. But yeah, Melbourne bye week next week. I think Richmond also has a bye week next week, so a bit of refreshers for them. But we'll move into the next game. Western Bulldogs versus Essendon. Now we talked about Jake Stringer massive game, Yeah, and this one. Western Bulldogs is probably the story out of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I feel like I've been saying it forever, but it's got to be the most frustrating team in the camp if you go for him and you look at their list and what they've got, They've got one of the most.
Speaker 1: You're saying Western Bulldogs is more frustrating than the North Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, like, if you're a North Melbourne fan, you know what you're in for, you expect, you're expecting it. Bulldogs fans are like up and about there. You know, the projection was top eight, probably a chance to go for top four depending on their back line is probably the question marks. But like the Ford line is like human. Like they've got Rory lob who they paid money and got on a contract and he's playing in the VFL. They got Sam Darcy, They've got Jamara hugil Hagen, They've got Aaron Norton, Like, they got Cody Weightman at their feet. That's a pretty crazy forward line just kick it in there. Just but their midfield, Like they've dropped McCrae. He came back in. They got the bond. They got Adam Trelaw, who doesn't get any plaudits for a bloke that's going out there and getting thirty seven and kicking at least a goal a week. They got Liba who's in like career best form. Somehow, I don't know how he is English as a rock like Tim English all the current all Australian ruckman. So you're looking at that and you're going, okay, like maybe the back line like they got Liam Jones down back, Gerree down back, like they got some like experience down there. People are talking about maybe moving the astronaut back, so which is where he played all his junior footing. Anyway, Like you look at that and you go, they should be good, and you've they should have been good for the past every year since twenty sixteen really and they're just not getting it done. And it's and you can already feel it if you're a fan. I'm not even like a Bulldog supporter, and I look at this, going, yeah, where dude, the exact same season we had every other season where we'll beat a really good team and then we'll lose to a mid team and we'll struggle against a low team and then we'll beat a good team. Like they're out. The perform they put against Geelong last week was like outstanding. One team just had to win that, and unfortunately for the Bulldogs it was Geelong. And then this week like essenon, you knew they were going to be on because they stunk it up the week before they like, so you knew the pressure was coming, and then they just didn't show up. They just didn't show up. Only he struggled, he got seventeen. Liber was quiet, and then there was an incident with liber where yeah, he got tackled really hard by Jake Stringer. Then he went in, got a hard ball, did this three sixty, got the ball out, and not too long after that it kind of looked he just fell over pretty much face first down. Beverage came out after the game saying, yeah, he lost his footing. I think they're talking about an ankle issue. Yeah, it just didn't look good. Have you seen the incident?
Speaker 1: I have, and it was somewhat jarring. I think with all the kind of talk I ker cushion and everything else, and for him just kind of stumble hit the ground after kind of contests, you automatically think, right, like, he's probably had his head hit at some point in a nice minute, and yeah, he kind of I think he'd come out and the logs of someone said that he had an ankle issue and they kind of blame on that, and then he went to concussion protocols and I think he might be missing this week, but you there's so much I guess attension around it. Obviously that's going to come out, and the vision of it looked, you know, quite nasty, like of just someone kind of looking normal and then all of a sudden it kind of hits him and then he just kind of like stumbles and falls over. I think that's it's not great vision to see, and I think obviously like the media saw that, and you know, that came out as obviously a talking point for the week. But hopefully he's all right. I'm not really sure obviously the direction it's kind of gone as far as his health, but you know, we always say prayers up for this kind of stuff because you know it is something that can be an issue for a long time. But yeah, Libaz's been playing really well over the year. He's hilarious on the front bire the other day if you saw it, so but yeah, hopefully he's okay. But it was quite concerning vision. I think that kind of came out of this game and probably one of the biggest talking points. I know, the Western Bulldogs didn't probably play up to the potential they wanted to, but I still think that they're a good team. I know, like everyone's other comments, but like we're five or six games into this season and there's still a lot to play out. I don't we all have these stress and anxiety around teams playing well not playing well, like Geelong's the undefeated and you know, whatever it may be. But like you were saying, I look at their list and I was like, they're capable to do whatever they want to do, and they can. It's really up to them in the direction they're going to take as far as whether they make the eight or night. And I think this is a one off, hopefully experience for them, losing to Essendon in that way that they'll learn from and move on and be able to be better from it.
Speaker 2: I hope for Bulldogs fans, you're right, but I think it's a tail we've all seen too much. There was a let's not take away from Essendon because they came out and I feel like a blip for them was last week where you know, they had that really down performance and there's no kind of you know, glossing over that. But I feel like they're starting to build that edge that they call it. But just pressure, it's it's really just pressure's gas pressure, tackles, get in their face and yeah, it's great. And they threw a couple of kids in like Ji Caldwell, but in particular Sam Durham, and I told the kids they're not kids, but like young younger players. You normally fall back on your senior players that have proven it and done it before. But they threw Durham in there against Bond like going one on like head to head, finished with seventeen, but Durham went really well finished in the twenties for touches six clearances, like yeah, so there's exciting signs for Essen and they still don't have two meter Peter. He's going to come back in, but he's going to slot in there with big Jakie Stringer. I reckon, it's just string as paddic, just get out of way. Todd Goldstein is like the Goldstein kind of experiment, if you will. As I reckon, it's been really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of question marks around that whether he'd be able to play forward, and yeah, I think he's just providing that contest and then letting their smiles get to get to there. And that's sometimes what you need from a big man, so be able to bail out to them.
Speaker 2: Exciting times for Essenon fans are head.
Speaker 1: I just we talked about it and made a few little, you know movements, moved the Magnets a bit, got a few different people in, made some trades, most active in the off season. I felt like, and now they're kind of seeing the fruition of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just compete.
Speaker 1: We'll move into the next game. We got jobs versus Saint Kilda, the one point thriller for your boys, but not without some concerns.
Speaker 2: Did you see I don't know if you saw this. I think it was on bounce after the game. I think it was in Canberra this game. So and it was they're like, oh, we'll catch the flight or whatever. We're probably going to lose this game down by a fair bit Saint Kilda at the time. Yeah, so their team, as you do, admin staff started pulling all the you know, the brand down off the wall and then as Saint Kilda just kept kicking goal, go, go go, they realized they were within a goal with a couple of minutes left, so they putting the back up. We might have might have the media in the rooms post game, but yeah, St Kilda did well to fight it out Cameriti kicked a goal with forty seconds to go that kind of gave them a chance. And then it was the super Subpetling. Ye, a lot of good subs this week, which we'll get to, but Peteling going back with the flight, like flat out back with the flight, took a diving mark. It was what a throwback. Brett Kirk two thousand and five Grand Final, Oh yeah, threw himself back, took the mark and then double leg cramped up. I don't know if that was just a bit of acting to delay the clock, but it was very much that. For all those Sydney two thousand and five fans, you'll remember that well, but yeah, it was. It was a great game GWS though a lot of injuries, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of injuries we got. Sam Taylor had is one of the big kind of concerns out of that camp. Obviously massive for them in their back line. One of the best defenders in the game under concussion protocols knocked himself out and we're going to be out for a while, so it.
Speaker 2: Was unconscious for a bare amount of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was concerning for sure.
Speaker 2: He was going for a spoil and it looked like a clasher heads and then he was just out for a long time. There was a bit of talk because Kingsley was coaching from the boundary line and when that all happened, obviously the protocols kicking the place, they come out with the cart like safety precautions. He was able to just rally his team to the boundary line and give him a bit of a speech to be like, get out there, go do this. Rossie. He's up in the box big and he's running down so essentially that. But it took him. They timed it. It took him about two and a half minutes to get from the box down to the ground. So Kingsley's got the head start on him, you can say a lot two and a half minutes, so they reckon it's an unfair advantage.
Speaker 1: It would make me laugh more than seeing Rossie doing stadium stairs CG practing for this the MCG.
Speaker 2: It would have taken him about five minutes. It's quite a hike at the MCG. If you ever sat in the.
Speaker 1: Box, yeah, I've asked here and I was told about.
Speaker 2: The living the on the bucks. But they also had Canelio, Kelly Briggs all injured in the game, All big dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, solid, he looks solid.
Speaker 2: Man, He's like, I don't know, he just big. He's just like a midfielder, bit bigger, thick, thick points thick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a few injuries out of that one, we'll move on to the next one. This is a thriller, now this I did watch this game and it was I feel like the game of the round.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: Carlton versus Adelaide. Going into this game. Look, I think we said it last week, Adelaide, good luck.
Speaker 2: Second to piss. We said, get it out of the thirties. If you could score the forties fifties, we'll be laughing. They scored a one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, scored one hundred, which was two points more than the Carlton Football Club. Now Carlton being undefeated obviously going into this game, a lot of people looked at it as a shoeing of a w on the on the win column. But yeah, they get the lost versus outlaid over at Marvel Stadium and there was one person that saved the game at the end, all X player ex teammate of mine, Mark Kean, the Irishman.
Speaker 2: How good, Oh he's gone clock, he's playing some good footy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he got I know, god, I think he had a head knocker in the year. Yeah, but he's come back over an Adelaid. He's proven himself and he's gone pretty well. So shout out to LLIKENI.
Speaker 2: Good kick, big big body, big body.
Speaker 1: We used to get in scuffles in training quite a bit. A few but a few separations between myself and Keeny from other teammates.
Speaker 2: Bring up like a stat you know, like there's a stat that always gets I don't know who the statistic statisticians are that work at some of these like broadcasters, But how can they bring up one and then like everyone runs with it? And they last week when Adelaide got pumped and they only scored thirty, they brought up a stat and was like, oh, apparently Adelaide win like a hundred percent of games they score one hundred in and then they lose games that they don't score one hundred in and it's like, no shit, Like I score a hundred, any team's probably gonna win like one hundreds of pretty high score to get.
Speaker 1: So I think it took through the statistics to find that one.
Speaker 2: I don't know what genius dragged that one out, but here we go Adelaide one hundred and they got the win over one hundred on the dot. Look at that. Go but Tons came out of this. Another super sub, Sam Berry came on kicked the match winner. He's got the noodle hairs, the straw. Yeah, he's very good, very good, very very good.
Speaker 1: Shake your head like everyone else is from very good.
Speaker 2: To very bad. Because we got always who had a chance to win the game for Carlton running it and I reckon. Every Carlton fan was already celebrating because they're the tight game Kings, They're the new Collingwood as they like to call themselves. And and he's got the run in and he kicked that much grass. He was I don't know what he was. It was rough. He was kind of under pressure, but he was really running into what's an open goal square and just kicked all the grass and unfortunately couldn't get Carlton across.
Speaker 1: The marble.
Speaker 2: Sneaks up on you. There was more incidents out of this because Matt Crouch coming in like a freight train elbow tucked, lined him up, put him in his sights headshot bang, And he gets a week for almost putting someone in a wheelchair, which so I don't know where we're at with that. I won't well, hard ball get implies that you're going for the ball.
Speaker 1: You see.
Speaker 2: That's the problem because that crouch was all Man killed him and then the ball was just there by circumstances like oh beauty, no one wants this goes So yeah, I don't know a week for that seems like a massive missed opportunity. I don't want to like put players in it. You could take the names out of it, but just that that action, terrible, terrible action that could result in massive long term damage and just the lucky fact that it didn't shouldn't excuse the action. You should go none of that. That's stupid and get that out of our game. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: You have to be cautious obviously, like if you go in, you know, at pace like you did, like you have to make sure you get body like you can't. You can't. If you miss it, it's going to be weeks, you know to that point. So it is one of those things obviously, like the faster you go, the harder the HiT's going to be. So if you really kind of or you know, there's that moment in footy where the balls like kind of someone else's probably like sixty forty right, and you're kind of off and you're like going at full pace and you're like, well, I don't want to back out of this, but I still want to go for the ball, and you kind of smash them to the man. At the same time, you have to make sure you kind of get that body whenever you hit it. So, yeah, it's obviously we talked about every week. Anything that's head high now is going to be looked at as a week, and yeah, this is a This was one of the I guess question marks over the weekend was this crush bump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's I think was the telltale signs. Where as fans you get told to look for the telltale signs, Like with a bump, what do you do? Don't leave the ground, You don't leave the ground it you don't hit the head. If you hit the head and you've left the ground, telltale sign, you're going to get weeks. Well, this was you're coming in. You know you're going to be second to the ball, so you've got to adjust your action on the way in. He didn't do that and only got a week I still feel like it should have been more anyway, plenty out of this text. Walker kicked for the text in a text that's not it. That's not a bag, is it?
Speaker 1: F four five? Also Kroner kicked four. Rankin kicked three twenty three touches.
Speaker 2: But his game was good dynamic Rankins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard that one on the line. It kind of looked like Carlton had it and then all of a sudden it got like bubbled out the back and he's just thrown it on his boot and kicked it through the line.
Speaker 2: He's slowly like we he's always had those flashes of like freaking brilliance, but like it was more about consistency, and he's putting in one hell of a season so far, consistent, even though Adelaide's been a bit down. Now, your boy Sam Wash tell us about his game because it was he for everyone who doesn't know, he's been out with a broken back. As Mike Tyson would say, it's it's spiny, it's finals. So yeah, he's been done buried. Anyway, he comes back and I think he has an okay game.
Speaker 1: Thirty four touches, thirteen tackles, eight clearances. I think he could tick that as a good game. Thirteen tackles, that's crazy, that's solid.
Speaker 2: Some point, maybe around the eight tackle mark, you've got to be looking at your teammates. Gone, Am I the only one out here tackling?
Speaker 1: Do we go triple doubles here?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Do you do that on basketball? You do triple doubles? But I feel like in footy, if you're getting over ten tackles, like you should be looking at the triple double.
Speaker 2: Ringed more clearances.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, But now he had an amazing game on return. A lot of Carlton fans out there waiting for this guy to come back and play for him. So he is a big part of their machine and what they go or how they go about it. So it was good to see him back doing it at his best, and it was an important game for him to be back.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately they lost, but he's definitely one of the reasons they were still in this game.
Speaker 2: So it's crazy the game that he had. And then you had kern O kicking four, Harry kick two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still they look it's still takes. At the end, it was back forth, back forth, back forth, back forth. It kind of reminded me like, sorry, Collingwood versus Essen and Jamie kicks it on the siren. I was just sitting there thinking like this might happen, like whether it's Adelaide or it's Carlton, and I always thinking whenever he hit the ground, I was like, oh, this might be the seiler, you know, and then misses it and then all of a sudden Adelaide goes down to the other end. It was just it was an intense game where it was close one way, then close the other one, and then close one mind and then close the other way, and back and forth, back and forth. It was entertaining to watch.
Speaker 2: I did have the Collingwood feeling there for a moment where it was like Adelaide kicked the goal with Sam Berry and then I was like, there's there's too much time on Carlton's going to get it done, and they just couldn't get it done because Alwa's Ally's ah. But we go into the Gold Coast this one. We go into the Gold Coast game because your boys, your boys the Gold Coast. Look at this, I don't know correlation causation. They scored over one hundred oh and they won.
Speaker 1: One hundred and nine to fifty six. That's weird. Hawthorn signs up on Hoday. We're going well, we're going. Well, it's gold so called the Gold Coast Son's Community. I don't even say this correctly.
Speaker 2: It's so much Gold Coast Son's community because something can be wrong, some Dwayne Russell's Sea bomb action could come out. But we had a super sub again, Yeah, we had Dave Swallow, absolute veteran for the club at this stage, came on and kicked three goals in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a nice little top up right, get off from by a decent amount, and you're going, that's good to kind of come in. You know, the game is pretty much ready to go, ready to steal up. I'm just gonna get a few out the backs.
Speaker 2: You know, if you're one of these super subs that come on, you're Sam Berry or your David Swallow when you're winning the game or you're kicking three in the last quarter, you know how the subs have to do that extra running.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I was going to say. This is the best part of like coming on and being that sub. You know you don't have to do the running after. Yeah, like you don't have to do the top up stuff after you're not sitting there while everyone's in the background doing the post came interviews and stuff, and you're doing laps around the MCG just getting extra KZM because only ran three during the game. That's the best part of getting activated as a sub with plenty of time life.
Speaker 2: That's what I reckon. If you're Sam Berry, You're like, mate, I'm tired from winning the game. I can't be out there doing the extra running. King came on, kicked four, four close to a bag, could have been huge. Four is still good.
Speaker 1: We like four.
Speaker 2: Noah Anderson thirty six and a goal that's delicious. Guinea watch. We always look at Guinea gin. He kicked his goal on the run. Nice little it's a snap, I guess from about forty ourt big one and then through the dart even though his team was getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought flogged. You told me it was a dart today, I thought it was a beer pong that was just a bit more lafted like a beer pong.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a different dart to the Collingwood. The Collingwood dart was like a real luper. This one was more of a straight like dart. But it didn't help because they got pumped and sam Mitchell came out and you could just tell he's like, this is the moment where coaching really kicks in, and he was Flatter's attack and it was just disappointing. So it's probably the worst performance the boys are put up in his time, I think, or even quite some time. But yeah, Gold Coast Sons all for the winners here, big win. You don't want to go up there at the what do you call like the It's I like the Portress because it makes sense, but the sun. If you go up and versus the Sons, you're gonna get burned. Something. We'll work.
Speaker 1: We'll go to the next game. That port versus three. Now Port Adelai got the three point win over three or sixty six to sixty three, and this was another class one. Jason Hornan Francis kicked the game winner a little snap around the corner. Interviewed after the game, it feel, you know, how are you feeling in the moment? You know, he goes, I was hooping myself, which now I think it was not ring for another word. That starts with shi and then finishes with something else.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we're like, we're fine with shitting, We're fine.
Speaker 1: Chair seven. I was like, just make sure no cussing kids.
Speaker 2: Still, I reckon, I'm more disgusted by pooping.
Speaker 1: Really, this is a weird word. But yes, he did close the game out for a massive moment, got the steeler for him and Jason. Horn Francis a lot of media attention of over him over the last kind of couple of years, and I think now he's really kind of starting to blossom as a footballer and everyone's looking at him as the real deal. I know there's a lot of questions obviously the North Melbourne and stuff and then coming over to Port Adelaide and a lot of criticism on the way it kind of was all handled, but I think now you're looking at it and you're seeing how he's playing on. Yeah, that was probably the right, right decision.
Speaker 2: I think it's win win in the end. If you look at it, horn Francis is like, he's already really good.
Speaker 1: Now. You know. My favorite part about horn Francis is his name. I like, Horney Frank sucks up the double socks, old school look, man, I'm all for it. Credit to him. I know you're listening.
Speaker 2: We were talking about Luckyman either doesn't need to. We were talking about Lucky Neil before and he said that he has to get the low socks because he can't fit the big socks over his calves big cars.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I think Tomahawk's in that same boat, like big calves can't fit the full socks. Yeah, I don't know who's the biggest calves down at the Pires.
Speaker 1: Big cars was the biggest star, just big tree trunks. Another one came out of this the Dixon back and forth with Ken Heinckley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love Hinkers and I think he knows how to fire the big beast up because he just went down there and he was prodding him. You could see him at the break and he was just there was a bit of back and forth mainly one way from Ken Hinckley, and then you could see Charlie turned around and there's steam coming out of his nose and out of his ears, and Ken Hinckley turned around with a smile.
Speaker 1: Exactly what.
Speaker 2: He just prodded, the poked the bear and then sent him out there.
Speaker 1: It's like you just put gasoline on the five.
Speaker 2: The defender lining up on Charlie Dixon and you see him come back just steam and you're like, I thought, I held him pretty quiet to this point.
Speaker 1: It's probably one of those things where you go for the handshake and trol just gone for them. We're back into it.
Speaker 2: But I love it. I love Charlie Dixon. But yeah, he responded, had a good game after that point. So yeah, I think Hinkers knows how to get the best out of his.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's had quite a bit of time with Charlie, so I know he would know his his character well and what kind of makes him hyped up and what kind of you know, there's different players need different kind of love, right, do different stuff for each part? Yeah for sure, Yeah, different stuff for different players. He wouldn't have a crack of me unless I really deserved it. I feel like, yeah, and I have got this, not like a crazy spray. I think of the sprays of like you know, some of the other people I've seen throughout history of AFL, and it's not it's not those, it's not the Paul Ruse on the phone you know you down, but yeah, it's it's different for each player. I think I'm probably more of the relaxed, chilled out one. I think it's also because whenever you yell at me, I'm just kind of like, yeah, yeah, okay, alright, cool, I got you. I'll do that.
Speaker 2: I'm try. No, you can't, let's coach.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can yell at me all you want. It's not going to make me better. It's like I'm doing it. I'm trying my travel. I don't have the levels still like as some other angry bloke comes out and just starts ripping people.
Speaker 1: I do love it that Brazi always comes up to me pregame and like gets me hyped up because he's one of those us you could hype up like if you just give them a little bit, and he goes full fledged with it.
Speaker 2: I like the guys that are like I'll show you, they're the easiest to coach because you go, mate, you're having the ship turns around.
Speaker 1: We'll go on to the next Max Geelong versus North Melbourne. That cats undefeated.
Speaker 2: Now like and not even like killing it. They're doing it pretty easy. To be fair, I haven't had the hardest run to this point. So there's there's still there's two undefeated teams left and I feel like Geelong they've got a couple of testers to come up and we'll see where they're really at. We've been saying that about a few teams like Essenon and Saint Kilda. Was still I don't know. There's a lot.
Speaker 1: Of stuff of like you know, teams you think would win losing and there's still a lot to be kind of filtered out. I feel like there's not a clear top eight. No by no means a ship.
Speaker 2: No, it's still going. So Geelong absolutely murdered North Jazz Cameron obviously is always going to be the main culprit because Hawkins out. Hawkins out late. So Jazz kicked six twenty one disposals eleven score involvements, so he pretty much touched everything that led to a score. But to be fair to it, what do we say for Jezza, Oh Jezz the when he did the Grand Final and his celebration of the best celebration, got it in super slow motion.
Speaker 1: Be even better if you actually did it to a beer on the sidelines. I mean they were up by that much from I think you could have.
Speaker 2: I think he's talked about it before, but when he cracked it in slow mo, although it's not a real can. I feel like you could see front it was it was that. Yeah, so I don't know everything he touched turned the gold and yeah, I don't know. I think this is more of like North. I feel should be further down the path, like they've been rebuilding for multiple coaches and multiple years. Now we need to see a bit more promise they've got. It's not like they're just running out there with like soup cans. Like they've got a pretty good young list. So we will see fluctuations, but we need to see some upward trajectory. We need to see some wins. I feel bad for, you know, like poor Ben McKay who's now across it Essendon. He played for nine years and had eight wins. Mate, Oh that's so rough. So he's probably going to cover that in one year with Essen n that's crazy. And now like North is still there, like they're still there. It's yeah, it's it must be painful for their senior players that are like, come on, we need these kids to start blossoming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd have to be as a senior player there you'd be going, okay, well, we always are refreshing. So it seems like I feel like I'm always on like the am I getting too old to be here and still you know, and like you have to provide the leadership for the kids. So if you're not a leader there as an older, older player, they're probably looking to get rid of you and just keep filtering through people that are going to be you know, career players for them. Yeah, so it'd be an interesting thing being older there, but it is, you know, credits to the Cats. They're five and oh, first time since twenty seventeen the Cats have been there. And this is the funny thing, right, Like the Cats didn't make finals, didn't make finals last year after winning a grand final, so they have now they're five and oh, and it's like, well, I hold it up, Like was maybe some of the injuries and stuff they had last year the reasoning they weren't you know, in the top eight at the end of the year, and they still have that talent that's on that list. You know, we're looking at the Cats of twenty twenty two rather than the Cats of twenty twenty three, which they're going to make the top eight.
Speaker 2: Or they were criticized for having the slow start last year, which you know, most people just dismissed. But you know, at this stage last year they were in way worse shape than they are now and it took them a long time to get back on the road and then they just couldn't get it back. So they've had a way sharper start to the year and maybe that was as a result of the slow start last year. But yeah, they're absolutely killing it at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, of killing ye speaking of killing it, our West Coast Eagles.
Speaker 2: Wow, did not see it go. Wow, did not see it coming.
Speaker 1: In West Coast in front of their fans at home versus Richmond.
Speaker 2: And it started terribly for him.
Speaker 1: You know what they did, kicked over one hundred points.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy, I would believe it.
Speaker 2: It started with Richmond kicked the first few of the game and it was like, are they king to dish this up against Richmond at home? Like you got to fire a shot? And did they ever? Because they just kept piling on the pain. Harley Reid watched every week twenty seven touches kicked the goal and don't argue Dusty, which we touched on at the start of the podcast. Massive thing Dusty, you know, like Dusty gives a ship, don't care.
Speaker 1: He's like, whatever, I'm getting paid.
Speaker 2: Jake Waterman, who you know is the West Coast Forward. West Coast Forward has been a bit depleted over the with Oscar Allen going down at the start of the year. But yeah, he bobbed up and kicked six goals.
Speaker 1: Six eighteen disposals. I'm not sure what the Waterman is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're gonna have yeah, like it's a the sprinkler.
Speaker 1: Sprinkler Jake was Yeah, some asm r for everyone.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good one.
Speaker 1: Pretty good failed.
Speaker 2: That the highlight of the game, except for the obviously mikey La foul with his don't argue with death. He kicked three goals twelve touches. Probably had to do too much.
Speaker 1: It's actually one of my favorite players.
Speaker 2: That wife fast, good kick, strong, exciting player, but one of the old dogs. He's getting to be an old dog now. Nick Floston, Yeah, he just took one of the all time speckis And the best part about it was he did not land on his feet. You got to take the big hang and then go down on your side. Took it all the way to the ground, did all the check mark things to be an absolute hanger minus getting pumped at home. So the commentary is a bit so so that's important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the commentary with Mark of the Year is almost just superportant as the mark.
Speaker 2: Which is what I think affected Jeremy Howe because he was taking so many marks. The commentators were just like, oh, yeah, there's how another one.
Speaker 1: Not even surprised. That's what he does every week.
Speaker 2: Come on, you got to give it something. But yeah, massive hang by him over there in the West. Unfortunately Richmon couldn't get it done. But as we said, they go into a much needed buy, have a break because their team is ravaged by injury. They hardly got anyone left out there.
Speaker 1: But it is it is a credit to West Coast. I know we always uh you know, you see them in North Mellow and everyone kind of puts them together is how many wins are going to get this season. It's good for them and I think their motivation going through the year to get a win on the board early. So you get that pressure of oh my gosh, we haven't won a game yet. We haven't won a game yet, we haven't won a game yet. Every single week that gets thrown out. Now, now you kind of got that put behind you. You can go forward and say, all right, cool, let's build on this. I think that's massive form. So credit to West Coast being Richmond by a decent margin there over almost forty points in the West in front of their home fans. It would have been a you know, a shining light to see what's been a rough couple of years.
Speaker 2: It was nice. It was nice, feel good moment.
Speaker 1: Well that is That's that's it for the first episode of two. Obviously, we have another episode coming out later this week on Thursday. Of the preview. But the other clubs that didn't play over the weekend, Collingwood and Sydney.
Speaker 2: We get back because we needed back. It was boring a lot of close results. But you know when your team's not playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a different feel, isn't it. It's a bit of a different feel. Yeah, well you I enjoyed it the weekend. Yeah, that had a great weekend. Right, we're going to get into it in the next episode. Man, you're gonna make fun of what I'm wearing. Apparently is not acceptable. So we're going to get into that in the next episode is coming out on Thursdays, so make sure you set your calendars, click the download. I think it's the subscribe. If you click the subscribe, we'll come up more often. So whenever we do have a new episode out, you'll know. So make sure you hit that.
Speaker 2: You can hit a bell. Hit the bell, I think it is rating. You may as well hit the five stars. We're not talenty of five stars. But if this isn't five stars, I don't know what he is. But yeah, and then go over social channels like damn share that you know, jumping.
Speaker 1: Jeez, love it. Braden puts a lot of work in the background for it, so make sure you give them plenty of love on that. And shout out to the guy I saw wearing the Mason Cox Show merch at dinner last night. You're an absolute legend. But that is it for the first episode. Everyone, Thank you so much for listening. Like I said, make sure you you check out the Thursday episode. It's coming out and we're gonna do a preview of everything. But that is it from last weekend's round. Have an incredible week and we'll talk to you so peace. Yeah,