Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, cust millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our Friday episodes where we get our little team together and celebrate you our incredible She's on the Money community. This week, Miss j S. Greech is going to be sharing her favorite money wins. Miss beck Sayed is back and.
Speaker 4: She has a couple of broke tips for us.
Speaker 2: We're going to be talking this week about a juicy money dilemma. This week, we're going to be answering a question about how to be smart with your money when you're single, and we're going to be unpacking something that you slid into our DMS about this week. We're talking about what to do when you've got concerns about your partner's spending habits. Before we get there, though, Beck, Jess, how are your weeks?
Speaker 5: Jess, you go first, Thank you.
Speaker 4: My wik's been good, nothing exciting. I've been watching a lot of beame rush TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I sent you the first video that came up on you. Yeah, and I was like, I'm working on the algorithm for you.
Speaker 4: I have a curator. It's like every second video and I'm living for and all I can think about is how much I would have bodied being a sorority girl, because they do like all these cute themes for each day.
Speaker 2: And Jess was actually born to be American, Yeah, in like the non offensive way yeah no no, no, no no, but like in the Deep South sorority. Yeah, Jess was meant to be born into a billionaire household so that she could like seem everything not work, like just.
Speaker 4: I would have been a great rich housewife. Yeah, I'm okay with that. Work towards that, work towards Yeah, it's not impossible. I just know that you would have been living your best life. Like I just know that if I said to Jess tomorrow we're going to get up, We're going to go to Starbucks, her ears would.
Speaker 2: Already be pricked. Yes, we're going to Target. We're going to walk around Target. We're going to go to pilates. At lunch time, we're going to go get cobb salads and some Crispy diet coke. She'd be like, I'll do anything. It's fun.
Speaker 4: Whenever we go to the US for a work trip, it's like we had to cosplay it for Like.
Speaker 5: Do you know those tiktoks where it's like they show the college girls like they're about to go to college and they're like, my name's.
Speaker 4: And I'm going all this.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 5: I can see that for you.
Speaker 4: I don't want anything.
Speaker 5: Else for you.
Speaker 2: I just want that to come to fruition. So if there is a billionaire listening that would like to adopt Jess so she can live her best American sorority girl life, yes.
Speaker 4: I'll be like maturity student already takes thirty.
Speaker 2: School with skin like that, baby, girl, you know what you could do instead? Mormon Housewife.
Speaker 4: Did you say that they're making a reality show?
Speaker 2: No, but I want to watch it.
Speaker 4: What is it The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives or something like that, say less less in the conversation. We'll have this conversation later.
Speaker 2: We've just piped up Jess and made her believe that things that are never going to happen might happen. So I love that.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Cow's your week, my week, My week, my week.
Speaker 5: I got back from Sydney.
Speaker 2: Birthday month.
Speaker 5: It's birthday month. It is a bit of a shame. I do feel like the birthday magic's wearing off. It's now like midway through August, so I'm like.
Speaker 4: You're right at the end of July, which makes it hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, oh how much can I stretch this?
Speaker 4: You know? But I'm still trying.
Speaker 2: So it really feels like the month. Yeah, we're only I think true.
Speaker 4: Okay, it does not exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's probably true.
Speaker 5: And once this is over, then we've got Halloween, we've got Christmas. Like the magic just.
Speaker 4: No, get it, you get it.
Speaker 5: But no, my week's been really good. It's been really I'm still trying to like look for a house, So anyone anywhere out there. I think at this point I'm only going north side. I'm a beggar and I can't be a chooser. So if anyone has also she's being a chooser by refusing to go east side.
Speaker 4: What's outside or west side?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's true. I think I will still be a choosing. But no, if anything comes up, but I'm like, hey, Idlberg doesn't sound so bad, then maybe that's still north side.
Speaker 2: I have no idea if we from the west, so I'll go west. Geography is just not for me.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll go anywhere. So that's that's my current situation. So the weeks, yeah, it's been but otherwise it's been good. What about you good?
Speaker 2: Mine has been decidedly more boring than yours. I feel like I've finally got into the daycare group. I am loving it, and I feel like we should talk about this because I feel like so many mums on TikTok and Instagram they're always talking about like, oh my gosh, I feel so guilty going back to work, or I feel so guilty that my kid's in daycare. Harvey loves it, like he is having the best time ever. So they have this little app where they upload photos throughout the day and tell you what they're up to, and I'm just like, these are things that I just don't have the brain capacity for. Like he's doing all these sensory activities and like last week they did baby Olympics for real. Turns out maybe our educator is a really great storyteller, because like the written thing said, oh my gosh, the kids put on a spectacular performance today they were doing artistic gymnastics, and Harvey really shone through. And then there's just this picture of my baby who cannot sit up, laying on a mat looking like a little sweet potato holding a rainbow ribbon rattle, and that's his artistic gymnast and like I mean the other kids, because obviously the app gets updated with all the kids they're like doing like climbing activities and like running races and stuff, and it was just so wholesome, and I just know that he's having the best time while I get to come back to work and be my best self. And I just think it's so good and we need to talk more about this, because like my week has been made knowing that he's had a good week at daycare. And then I come home and I'm like, tell me about your baby day, like what did you do? Obviously he can't respond yet. I'm not that delusional, but I like go through the app and I'm like, oh, you did this, and then did you have this? And oh you had a bottle at this time, and you know, I tell him about my day and I'm like, this is going to work for us. I really like it. So yeah, a bit boring back at work, back in the office, so I feel like I've spent a few days in the office more than what I would usually, But so good, so good.
Speaker 5: You gotta keep your sanity. You got to talk to people. You're in age.
Speaker 2: I feel like you do. And I mean, if you want to stay home, great, like fantastic. It's different horses for different courses. But I just knew this was going to be part of the narrative. And I have had a few messages from people because I've posted on my Instagram like Harvey is like daycare fit or whatever. They're like, oh my gosh, how are you going with daycare? Do you feel guilty? And I'm like, hold up, why is that part of the Yeah, why is that part of the narrative? Why would I feel guilty? Do you know how expensive daycare is? Like if I turned around to you, Beck and said I'm spending one hundred and ninety two dollars a day on you, You'd be like blessed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey, yeah, I would be like, do you feel guilty?
Speaker 2: Well no, no, So I just yeah. I think it's important to talk about because it's meant that I am so much happier at work as well, knowing that he's happy and having a really good time. But that's not what today's about. Today's about our community. So let's dive straight in, Jess, I saw the money Wins thread this week and there were some good ones. What have you pulled out to share?
Speaker 4: Alrighty, My first one this week comes from Natasha who said she's currently putting up curtains throughout her house. She got a quote and they said for one room, a singular room, it was going to cost her over twelve hundred dollars. Crazy who new curtains were so expensive?
Speaker 2: Not me, I know, we did remember when we got that quote.
Speaker 4: For the the office, and then well we did a bit of a Natasha, we decided to do it ourselves, which is exactly what she did. She went to Spotlight. They had a forty percent off sale. She got all of her curtains for six hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Money win, money Win. We did basically the same thing, but we got them through Freedom and we just installed them ourselves.
Speaker 5: What do they do, Like, we're just like, you know those sheer.
Speaker 2: Curtains y, Yeah, Like it was so expensive.
Speaker 5: And they like they just hang them, but you could just.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming they also make them like they hang them, And I mean you do get the extra bonus of having them like trimmed to the right size. Sure, we did that ourselves. Have you met Jess. She's now the proud owner of a sewing machine. She can do anything.
Speaker 4: Crafty queens. Next tipt of money Win from Anthea, who said, money Win, We've built a chicken coop out the back. This one's for you back. We had stuff laying around on our block. We only were forty dollars out of pocket for lax and basic stuff like screws and buckets. They already had the space in the yard and they repurposed a aviary that their dad had built twenty eight years ago. Oh my gosh, very wholesome. And there is a photo of the chicken coop. I love photo pictures a whole house literally like you could.
Speaker 2: Is it in the north boat. Probably there's going to be an issue if it's not a chicken coop. No worries.
Speaker 4: Next, even of money win from Alicia, who said, I bought a very old, very burnt le crust pot for anyone who doesn't know le cruse ah like super bougie, very expensive, like four hundred dollars pots, but they're very well made, their cast iron. They last you a lifetime.
Speaker 2: I really, but I can't justify it.
Speaker 4: I agree they're stunning.
Speaker 2: I don't do enough like of that baking to get the proper lucrat like I just don't have. Like if you said, Victoria's a fry pan that you'd use every night for dinner while cooking yourmaly spoons, I'd be like slate can invest. No, not a.
Speaker 4: Dutch And I think they do other stuff, but I'm not sure anyway. At least she found this one for fifty bucks on Facebook marketplace. She cleaned it up with a lot of scrubbing and soaking and it looks perfect now. She put in a photo and it was ninety percent off of the normal retail price.
Speaker 5: Oh look at her.
Speaker 4: What a good job she did.
Speaker 5: That is so good.
Speaker 2: Do you know what this woman? Woman after my own heart? Really? I think that she would like my cleaning stories highlight on my Instagram because I'm a cleaner at heart. Have you seen me in a canar ive and cleaner?
Speaker 4: She loves to scrub.
Speaker 2: I love it. Do you think I'm joking? Beck? No, after the show, I'm going to show you my highlights. I've seen you.
Speaker 5: I've seen you. If I'm in a room with you and a can of oven spray, I know that I'm not being seen.
Speaker 2: That's real tops and only spray oven spray outside.
Speaker 4: Beck, Oh my gosh, all ranks you win. From Matilda who said last night she got to see Beauty in the Beast with a friend and they only paid twenty four dollars per ticket because they won the lottery, it's definitely worth entering the lotteries. So I'm getting there with the context. It's definitely worth entering the lotteries. On the Today ticks app, there's one for Wicked two. You might remember me saying a while ago I was trying to win tickets. Wicked didn't win, sadly, but.
Speaker 2: I never saw Wicked buy.
Speaker 4: You can often enter last minute lottery when they have extra seats left in the theater. They'll sometimes do it like the stage door, but apps like today Ticks also do it and you enter and you just go in the for a chance to be able to buy like a really cheap ticket. So in this case, they were doing twenty four dollar tickets to see Beauty in the Beast musical.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. I feel like they're so expensive nowadays.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, I feel like the ride at the back seats are still like eighty ninety bucks normally, and you know, up into the hundreds depending on how close you get, So twenty four dollars is still my god.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just thinking, wait, she won the lottery and still had to pay.
Speaker 5: Someone writes in one day, is like my money win is I won the powerball?
Speaker 2: My god. I had a client. I had a client do that, not a pre existing client. This is a number of years ago. They came to me and said I need financial advice, and I was like, great, no worries come my way. And I was thinking like, oh, this is probably like, you know, going to be a smaller client because you know, you have in your head like maybe what a client's going to be like after you read their fact find and like a few details and they had omitted that. I was thinking, okay, Uni student, like probably like we're going to talk about budget and cash flow. And she's like, so I won like five million dollars And I was like, sorry, what she's like? And I just I don't really know what to do. And I was like, this is very exciting. Who knows? And she's like, well, a while ago you said on a podcast like you don't have to tell anyone, so I haven't told anyone. And I was like, oh, okay, so you claimed the money yet, And I'm thinking that maybe it's a joke. Any way, full financial Plan. It was not a joke. She didn't end up telling her parents, doing some incredible things for her family. She donated some money, she set herself up full life, but imagine winning five meal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys about.
Speaker 2: What I would do, and like she was most worried at that time. Sorry, I know that the person who one listens to the show still so hi Congress, but she was so worried in that meeting with me. She's like, do I have to pay you now, or like can I pay you later because I don't have the money now, Like I can't pay for advice now. And I was like, oh, this is fine, this is fine, no worries, You're good for it. Imagine being like, I know I have five million dollars coming, but I'm worried about you know, a three thousand dollars invoice, Like I get it, yeah, but holy moly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, how does that feel to live my dream?
Speaker 4: I literally completely well speaking of living the dreams and quit and moved to America. Totally. I'd becoming a I'd be my own rich, stay at homehouse.
Speaker 3: You're like, I'm living to Utah for your leader.
Speaker 4: Might have been from Amanda talking about random crazy things. Apparently Amazon Prime is filming a movie on the Goldie with Mark Warwerk, and they asked if they could do some filming on their cane farm. They pay them twenty grand for three or four days of filming on their property.
Speaker 2: You can have my house.
Speaker 4: Literally, god crazy?
Speaker 5: Is there any like negotiations? She's probably didn't mention or they would just like, hey, we'll give you no idea.
Speaker 4: I mean, if someone said to me, hey, twenty grand to use it, I'd be like, buy all me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you want me to clean the house first?
Speaker 4: Literally, I'll do that. I'll sweep the fields, I'll do whatever I've got to do the field.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, like your cane field is going to feature in a movie with you imagine seeing the movie being like kids, that's my cane.
Speaker 4: Literally that's They.
Speaker 5: Could pay me three dollars and I'd still do that. That's really really cool.
Speaker 4: So fun. And the last I have money in from myself And a little reminder, it's after pay Day starting today after pay Day's sales have been going on all week though, which I have been taking advantage of. But I wanted to buy something online. Actually, this jacket that I'm wearing right now, I wanted to buy.
Speaker 2: Already complimented on that it's very cute, but like it looks very Garney, which is obviously very do you know what you would love Garney. I'm gonna show you after it's expensive. It's a gateway. You're not going to appreciate me for showing you, but you will appreciate the fashion. But it looks very Garney, which is expensive. And then just was like, huh, I did a.
Speaker 4: Jess, Yeah, it's from Glassons Fan. I was wondering, but I wanted to buy it online it was sold out and after pay sale was only online. But I went into the store anyway, and I just said, hey, like, I saw this jacket online but it was on sale online, but it's not on sale here. And they said, oh, we can just price match it for you so I could get my size. So if something you want is a part of the sales, but it maybe is sold out in your size or your color or whatever, and they have it in store, it's worth coming in store and just trying to see if you can get a price match, because I think a lot of the times the stores will be happy to just have the sale because a lot of people are probably not shopping in store this week because they're using the after pay sales instead. And reminder, you don't need to use after pay to take advantage of the after pay sales because I've never had after pay. I just want to take advantage of the sales.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I was about to say oft and they'll have a discount code for you to use for after pay day that's like after pay day or something, and you can use it even though your payment method is not after pay, because it makes the sense, right, like it makes sense for the company to make the most of people who also don't have after paid they might want to give that a crack.
Speaker 4: They literally just branded it with their name. It's like smart mouk, but you don't need to use it at all.
Speaker 2: Seeh I also have a money when that I want to share is that, Okay, please do this one's for the Kindle goalies out there. So I currently have Kindle Unlimited, and if you have Kindle Unlimited, you know that you don't get every single book that you might want to read. Anyway, Kindle app is having a massive sale and lots of the books that I want to read at the moment are like eighty to ninety percent off, so they're only costing a couple of dollars to add to my Kindle. So I've gone through added a heap of them and I'm really excited about it. But that didn't come from me. That actually came I was in the office yesterday and the Zella girls were like, they're Kindle giralies. Like Maddie in the office, she reads like three books a week. I don't know how she's like a speed reader and she doesn't even use the dyslexic font jesslexic fon Oh my gosh, yes, what's that? Oh side note, So on your kindle you can like change the fonts and like how it's viewed and like the font size and stuff. Right, yes, yes, but you're gonna love this, Jess. So there is a font called open dyslexic and you don't have to be dyslexic to use it. And I'm obsessed with it because it's basically been crafted to be easier on your eyes to flow along the words and read quicker. So I use it and it makes my kindle experience just much nicer, much easier. We got into this debate in the office a couple of weeks ago because we have an internal we have book club at work. We're very cool, thanks for asking, and we're currently reading something. I say, we'll try the font that I'm obsessed with, and all the girls were like, that looks like clown font does not look legible, Victoria, and I was like, give it a crack. Went in yesterday and Georgia was like, Victoria, I'm really sorry, but like this is the best font ever I'm reading so much quicker. It is so good, So give it a try. It's already on your kindle, like you don't have to download or do anything, but it makes it so much quicker. And that's not what I came here to tell you. It came you to tell you that lots of books, they are cheap.
Speaker 4: Right now, excellent.
Speaker 5: We love that.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to have a look.
Speaker 2: Would you like some broke tips though, because we've taken over this segment.
Speaker 5: Hey, no, that's quite all right. I'll be very quick. Don't mind me. I'm just going to read you two from the community. One for myself.
Speaker 2: Well I didn't see that come yeah, I had sort of changed it off a little bit.
Speaker 5: Okay. So the first one comes from a friend of mine. I posted on my story your girlfriend if you're no, not my girlfriend, this time?
Speaker 2: Not my girlfriend. I like how she here, he always says this time because we all know, we always.
Speaker 5: We all know. No, she's in the UK, so the time zone makes it very hard to ask her before I come in here in a panic, what do I do because she's currently asleep?
Speaker 2: But wake up, it's broke tip time.
Speaker 5: So this one comes from Jacinta who says, buy upsized am Pole fuel vouchers on shop back seven percent off, then scan your Woolies card for points. Okay, Queen, that sounds like a great idea.
Speaker 2: Not just that's genius. You're like hacking the system. You get a better discount on fuel, do you reckon? You could also use your like supermarket discount, I reckon, like you stack them triple whamm it, you could stack them, oh, discount stacking.
Speaker 4: There's lots of upsized cash back this week with after Payday too, so like, have a look at your favorite brands and stuff. Because I got something on the Iconic it was twenty cent cash back, So I was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually bought something. It was for work. I bought something on the Adobe website and I actually got fifty percent cash back on shot back. Amazing, Wow, fifty isn't that good and do expensive?
Speaker 5: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: I was like money win because I actually had to purchase it. It wasn't like I said to read. Yeah, I had to purchase some Adobe pdafreeder for work, which was not that sexy. But then when I got fifty business cash back, I was like, Okay, so that's now my money money.
Speaker 5: Wow. Anyway, sorry story there, No, don't be sorry at all. The next one comes from Bex. And now I just want to preface this by saying that this person did have permission to do this. So the office next door I'm assuming to their office had to clear out, and this person dumpster dove and sold items on Marketplace and just got a free hundred fifty bucks, which is really good because sometimes we do that here at this office, and like we're not throwing out like old broken lounges, like we're throwing out office chairs and desks that we don't use anymore and just everything like key cups, all these things.
Speaker 2: Really put it on Facebook Marketplace, Well.
Speaker 5: That's what you do if you're doing it for your own house. But if it's like an office clear out, which is what was happening here, and what does happen in this office too, no one's going through.
Speaker 2: It's a picture of it, like and say, we're gonna put all of this outside, and it's at this location. You can come and take it from, you know, near the dumpster or whatever. I just hate the idea that it's all going to waste.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think if it's like a big company where there's like so many people and the person in charge isn't going to be doing that. Ye, they're just like.
Speaker 2: But if you if I did for our office. We recently packed up one of our Zella officers and we put so much stuff on Facebook marketplace because I was like, I can't imagine throwing it out obviously, I don't want to put it into storage, Like it just feels so wasteful totally, and like it technically could have been sold, Like I definitely could have made money from it. But you know, when you want something to just move, I'm like, I know if I put this like set of bookcases up for free, someone's going to go, that's a money win and come and collect it that same day. Like this stuff moves. Definitely offer it because like even like desk chairs and stuff, like if you're in a share.
Speaker 4: Expensive like five hundred dollars, isn't like crazy.
Speaker 2: This woman she's been complaining. I'm calling her out publicly now. She has been complaining for what would you say, twelve months I worked at the company, two years, three years. She's like, I don't have a good desk set up at home, Like I don't have a good desk chair I don't have a desk. I really want one of those standing desks. I've said I'll pay for it. I'm like, I will buy that for you. Not only will I buy it for you, just put it on my credit card. You've got the details. Have you done it? Are you still complaining about it?
Speaker 5: I'm just going.
Speaker 2: To get to a point where I just send it to her house and it's not going to be what she wants because she won't tell me what she wants.
Speaker 4: But I'll out.
Speaker 2: The amount of money this woman spends it the chiropractor significantly what a new desk would compay for a.
Speaker 4: Desk by now true, which is like an imagine the way would the fun in that bay?
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly. I imagine with a little treadmill. Do you think you'd be one of those?
Speaker 4: Sometimes I try. I put my laptop on the there's like a bar for your hands. Sometimes I balance the laptop, but it's very it's dangerous game.
Speaker 2: And sometimes you zoomor and she's like wobbling and you're like, oh, she's on the walking treadmill. I actually laughed so much because she even has a spare room in her house beck for a study to go that is waiting for this desk that she still hasn't order.
Speaker 5: Maybe do it right before July so that you know.
Speaker 2: She leaves this office one do you want let's order it all the gear?
Speaker 4: No idea anyway? Tip?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, okay, So my one is also I just want to shout out to my friend Amy who also did the same thing, because I don't want them to think that I'm stealing their idea.
Speaker 2: But I can't why I had to disclaim it before. I was like, I didn't come up with the kindle thing Maddie in the office did, Sorry?
Speaker 1: Credit?
Speaker 4: Where credit is you?
Speaker 5: And I know that this is one that we've probably mentioned before about like you know, like house sitting, pet sitting, all this kind of stuff. But my broke tip is have a look, especially if you're in a situation like where you're kind of like maybe needing to move. I guess it's more for if you have the time, if you have the luxury of time, and you do have the option to kind of like go into a share house or rent your own house or whatever, but it could also help people who really are an urgent need of you know how accommodation. There are websites where you can house sit for like long periods of time, and I think that there are some that actually pay you as well, so you get free accommodation. Sometimes you are actually paid and you're just in someone else's house and you're you know, obviously, I think you need if you're going to like register a on a website for other people to find you, you do need some credentials or something. Police checkers like that.
Speaker 2: We've used one of those websites before when Steve and I have gone on holiday because I don't like putting my pets in categories yeah and or like the doggery or whatever it is. And so they do have police checks, like they all checked, and they often have really good reviews so you can see what other pet parents have said, like oh, Beck actually left the house so clean and my pets are really happy, and that makes you like feel a lot better. Yes, But then there's usually an interview process too, so like you might come to my place for a coffee, meet the pets, and then I get a feel for you and then I go, yeah, it should be great, so like it's not just like a random coming into your house. I don't feel no totally, so I think, yeah, if you're in a position like myself, or you just need housing, or you just want to save a buck, try out house sitting. I feel like that's a really good one, but I kind of want to I don't know if this is building on it or just questioning it. I feel like it would low keep the genius even if you have accommodation to house it over winter. Oh yeah, and like so that you're not paying your electricity bill or your game brand, go live in someone else's house, use their heater, get paid for that privilege. Turn off the heater at home.
Speaker 5: That's such a great idea. Or if you want it. If you do want to go on holiday, you already know that you're going on holiday from this period to this period. If this just happens register.
Speaker 2: Especially if you've booked a holiday in advance, which I'm assuming most people do. Like go pop yourself up genius.
Speaker 5: Yeah totally, So that's me for this.
Speaker 2: I love that. I think that's a good one. Beck Let's go to a really quick break because I am excited to get into the nitty gritty. On the flip side, we're gonna be talking about being smart with your money when you're single and then we're gonna be talking about a topic that you slid into our DMS about which this week we're talking about what do you do when you've got concerns about your partner's spending? So don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 2: There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi. Girls. First of all, I really love your podcast and Victoria your book has completely changed my life. I've noticed that a lot of money diarists who call in are part of a couple, but a lot of them seem to be like double income, which is a little bit of the wind in the back. And I notice a lot of the finance talk and finance world is sort of centered around a world where almost everyone seems to be in a couple. I feel like, on top of that, the tacks brackets are kind of stacked against singles, particularly like I'm thirty seven, I'm divorced, I'm trying my best on my own, I've only just started investing, and I just feel like the whole finance world is screaming at me to couple because it's so much easier. Do you, I guess, have any tips for how to be smart when you're on your own and when you're not looking to couple, because I'm not really interested in sharing my finances.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question, and I have been thinking about this a lot recently. So first, thank you, how nice. I love that you've read my book. Also, I noticed your accent. Can you move in with Jess? But I don't think we talk about this enough because I think we are often like women power right, Like, if you're not in the right relationship, just leave, like you don't deserve that. I totally get that. But the expense of being single, especially right now, is astronomical. You are paying so much more just to exist. Think about it like this, right, Like, when I was twenty one, I was single, I lived in a sharehouse, and if I had been listening to this podcast episode, I'd be like, oh, well, it's not that bad, Like I have housemates. You could just get housemates. By the time you get to thirty five or forty, you don't want housemates. You want your own sacred space. You want your own property, and you want your own options. You want your own car, like you don't want to be reliant on someone else. So it literally doubles. The cost of Most things be significantly cheaper if you split it with someone else. But even in a one bedroom apartment, like let's say you've got a one bedroom apartment here in Melbourne, you're paying like five hundred bucks a week. Obviously that's a lot of money, but if you were splitting it, it was two fifty a week. Immediately, your accommodation is so much cheaper. Get a car. Maybe you live in the city, you only need one car in the household, but if you're single, that entire expense is on you. Groceries, cleaning products, everything doubles, and it then makes the pressure of going out so much higher because you know you're going out. Yes, you're only paying for you, but you've got all of these other expenses in the background that you're coupled up friends don't have and like you and your friend, like one could be on seventy grand and the others on seventy grand, but in a couple, their disposable income is going to be so much higher. So even though you're like, we're on part we earn the same amount, you have different commitments and obligations. And I think that it needs to be spoken about more. And I mean, this is probably a really good time to shout out some single queens in our community who are doing that that want to share their stories on money diaries. I am ready to chat with you, but we also do have a lot of single diaries. I think the best thing that you can do is use your podcasting app. So if you type in single she's on the money money diaries, a couple should come up. Because historically, if you were looking for them by the name of the episode, the SEO on podcasting apps didn't pick up the caption or the show notes to explain what that diary is about. Now it does, so it's much easier to find our content, which we love. But I think that we need to talk about more single costs. It's so hard being single, and I'm assuming that there are a lot of people in our community who are like, look, there's nothing wrong with my relationship. I'm not in love anymore, but it's not worth leaving, so CBF. I'm living my best life right now. I don't, particularly in this economy, want to go and get a single apartment, like you know, we've fallen into this, like I don't know dance of just living together as housemates. I don't really want to change right now because it's just too much of an upheaval. I have friends in that position, and I just go, what's the advice, Beck, you're good at a broke tip. You've been single not now though, Yeah, what's that like for you?
Speaker 5: That's such a great question. And it's like it's that's such a good thing that this person has pointed out because I didn't even really notice. But there's something that I hold very close to me is that I kind of have never ever been a deity person Like I've never been like you must be with someone. It's never been my life's goal, my life's dream. Before Jess, the person i'm dating now, there was nothing before. Nothing I didn't care. I'd never thought about I love ever being in a relationship because it just like if it comes up organically, cool, if not, whatever. But I'm in a very different position where I do live in the sharehouse and I don't really want to live by myself at the moment. I did notice this is a side note. I've I started spending way more money when I started dating, but that's because she's my princess you want. It is such a good point because now that I'm like looking at maybe wanting to buy my own apartment one day and maybe wanting to live by myself one day, I'm like, oh, this is so expensive, but.
Speaker 2: It's astronomical even in your situation where you're like, right now, I'm not incurring these costs personally, But like, would living on your own be an option for you.
Speaker 5: At the moment? Probably not if I want to stay exactly where I am. But if I want to like move out a little bit more to cheaper places, absolutely I could do that. I just I don't have that desire at the moment. But I think, like I would always this isn't really even that great advice, but I would always put my own personal happiness, make sure all my buckets are full in every other way. Maybe you have community, maybe you have work, maybe you have friends, all these other things. If at the core of myself and at the end of every day I feel full and happy. I have been broke for so long that that doesn't actually bother me as much. But I know that we're in a very different position because this person who has rang in with their dilemma, I'm sure they're probably in a different life stage so they can't really rely on like, as long as you're happy, it doesn't matter. So I totally understand that, but I think, yeah, just nothing's worth you know, your happiness. So if you're like getting in a situation where you're dating someone just because it's a lot actually cheaper to live, it's probably not worth it at the end of the day. I know that's not great money.
Speaker 2: Advice, No, no, no, no, but it's real advice. And I'm about to ask Jess the same question. Just is in a very different situation. She lives with her partner, they've got no intention of breaking up. This is a dramatization, but like, Jess, what would your life look like if you were single right now? Because you have a really nice house, you've got you know, a duel income, like you've got two cars, all of this like stuff that a lot of people go, oh my gosh, like goals. But like, if you were to become single financially, what do you think that would look like?
Speaker 4: It's hard to picture you because I've been in a relation nine years, I think at this point, so well, yeah, I've never when I was single, I was living in a share house.
Speaker 2: I was in like.
Speaker 4: Iah, that's the same things made me like it's it was a very different experience. I think, like, could I afford to keep like if worst case there we broke up, could I pay all of our rent because we're on like a lease, Yes, I could. Like could I continue to live my lifestyle? Yes, okay, career, but I think like the big thing, thank you, But I think the big thing is that exactly what our listener highlighted, I would have to make compromises in your lifestyle. So I probably would not like I wouldn't be able to invest the money that I'm investing because that money would have to go towards rent. Ye, I would probably be saving significantly less if anything towards my house deposit. I would have to cut my discretionary spending, so like, could I keep like, could I pay my rent? Could I pay my bills? Yes, but at the cost of a lot of things, which I think is kind of the point that our listener was making.
Speaker 2: To compromise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like, is it possible to live by yourself? Of course it is, but it is a lot harder, and I think it would be I would find it really hard because I would have to change the goalposts that I've had for so long. And I can understand how for our listeners, she's saying, oh, well, I'm not investing, and that might be something that she's really wanting to do because she's motivated and she's read the book and she's listened to the show, but she's like, well, where do I get the money from? And I think the really harsh reality is you may not be able to just pull it out of thin air, like as much as I want to be able to say, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, baby, actually he's a plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I genuinely think like if that was me in that situation tomorrow, I didn't have a boyfriend anymore and I had to sort it out, like that would be my reality. It would be, well, I can't do the things that I wanted.
Speaker 2: She's a resourceful queen, so we know she would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it would look different, and like there are lots of like I would say, the biggest thing would be to look at increasing your income decreasing your expenditure. Obviously we don't know anything about what our listener, you know, her personal situation, but like where you can can you negotiate a pay rise, can you take on a little bit of extra work, like can you get a side hustle or a second job or whatever? Can you make cuts other things that you're willing to cut or are even able to But beyond that, I think, like I don't even fully know what to say to be honestly, it just it sucks, is what I want to acknowledge. Like it just you can't especially in a cost of living christ Yeah, like I don't want everything's so much more expensive. Yeah, And I don't want to sound tone deaf in saying, well, it is what it is. But I also I don't necessarily know what advice I have to give you other than acknowledging that it's a shit situation. And you know, if you can make those cuts and adjustments like that'll help a little bit, but like, honestly, I just fully recognize that it's so much hard when you're single.
Speaker 2: Real and I mean the grass is always greener round like your friends that are coupled up that are you know, maybe it's like me, right, I am so happily coupled up, like I adore my husband, don't want to change it. Sometimes I look at my single friend and I'm like, it must be nice to go out and do whatever you want. Oh it's Wednesday and you're having espresso martinis. Can't relate to have a baby, Like we always look at different situations with rose colored glasses on. And you know what, my friend's probably looking back at me, going like I can't wait to find husband and finally have a baby. And I think that putting blinkers back on when it comes to your budget is really important here. Like, I know it's tough, I know it's hard. It is going to look significantly different to your coupled up friends who are able to share expenses, but that is not your reality, So stop comparing yourself to that situation. It's like when I say, and I've said this before on the podcast, you can't give a budget template to someone who earns forty thousand dollars and expect that same budget template to work for someone who has a four hundred thousand dollar income. Not only are they going to have different amounts of cash to disperse, but they could be in different situations. Like that forty thousand dollars a year income earner could be a single mum who you know is just cutting her teeth to get by, and it's incredible at this point that she's breaking even every single month but can't save it, can't invest. I think we need to see it often as a season of life, not to say you have to couple up, because like, you could be single by choice for the rest of your life, and that is an epic outcome if that's your choice. But I think we need to put some blinkers on and go, well, what resources am I working with? How much is coming into my account? What are my long term goals? What do I want to achieve? Because at the end of the day, every normal person has to make compromises in their budget to achieve their goals. And we go back to Jess right, and like, I'm using you as an example because I think that it is a very good example because you know, you would be in a position that a lot of people go, oh my gosh, I would love to be in Jess's position, where I have my house deposits saved, like I've got a really nice boyfriend, Like we have two cars in the driveway, like everything's okay, we're paying rent. But for me to compare that person to you, it's crippling them because even with that lifestyle that other people are envious of, Jess, there are still things that I know you're making compromises on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like there are still.
Speaker 2: Things that Jess is like, oh, I'm definitely not able to do, you know. And we've had this conversation before. You're like, I really love pilates, but I'm not going to do two classes a week. I'm going to drop back to one because it's just getting expensive. And I'm not saying like that's a luxury. It's just an example. Don't for two seconds think that I am completely dystopian in the type of lifestyles we lead. But even Jess is making compromises to live the lifestyle that she wants to live, and I mean we all do that, So I think it's don't compare yourself to others. Yeah, not only are you not on the same journey, but you just don't even have the same resources. Like if Jess compared herself to me, it's completely different. Again, I also have a completely different set of expenses that Jess is not incurring. I pay for daycare, I pay for nappies, I pay for formula, and just like, oh, they wouldn't be in my budget. Yeah, so why are we looking at the way that I do things? And I think that's why I get so frustrated when I see these percentage based budgets recommend it and people go theye, well, how much should I be saving? Well, I don't know, because I haven't had time to break down your entire budget and work out what your non negotiable costs are and what discretionary income we have left to play with. And that's what we should be talking about, none of this like, oh, Jess, you actually need to be saving ten percent, because ten percent for someone on four hundred grand, that's so much money. Yeah, ten percent for someone who is on forty thousand dollars and a single mum mate, that's way too much. There's no room in her budget to save. So we need to just look at our own situations and go, well, with the situation I'm in and the resources that are coming in, what is possible and what does this look like? And then if you're not happy with that, what levers can we trigger to change? And what compromise are we making? And it's not something you want to hear, right, like no one wants to hear, oh beck will actually to achieve the life you want, It's actually going to mean compromising, like no one wants that. I don't want to hear that. You don't want to hear that. But that's the reality of the situation. And while it's not that sexy, that's something we can work with, Like, that's something we can take and go Okay, well, actually that's quite tangible. I'm gonna go do this for me. I'm going to create a plan. I'm going to see if that works. And if investing is a goal, how much do you have? If saving for a holidays a goal, what's that going to look like? And there are just lots of different levers that we can pull. You want to go on a holiday back, great, how much is it going to cost? Five grand? Okay, holy moly, how long is that going to take you. It might take longer, but it doesn't mean we can't achieve the same thing. Yes, So I think that's probably where I would go with it. And it's back to the blinkers, like, stop comparing yourselves, because I've just gone around the table and there are very different experiences. But we're in the same company, we're in the same group, and still we're not comparable.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's so true. I do would to say one last thing, really, really really I love this just in case our listener is in this kind of like because I feel like societally we are living in a world where it is assumed that you're in a couple. Yeah, I really really don't like But anyway, that's the story for another time. There are so many like assumptions here, and one of them is that once you hit a certain age, you're no longer allowed to live in a sharehouse because it's like I don't know a mate.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: Basically, just in case our listener has that on their radar but is thinking, like, I don't know if I'm I don't know, too old or too whatever. I mean, if you want your own space, if you want to do that, of course, but just in case that's a thought. You are never ever too old, especially in this economy. A lot of people, a lot of like people who once were in relationships or just never have been or just never want to be kind of like getting together in this beautiful like you can find some really beautiful.
Speaker 2: Friend single back like ever single.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I won't live alone, No, it's it's quite but you can also you know, sometimes a friend. Yeah, you've made some and you can like find these people like very floss or whatever your state's equivalent is. Find people that are similar to your age or similar personality or whatever.
Speaker 2: Very terrible housemate, kick him out, kick him out.
Speaker 4: That's a great story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like my housemate who used to still my underwear. Anyway, moving on, we have.
Speaker 4: Another relationship seemed question actually today I'm excited about this one.
Speaker 2: Guys. So we had a DM this week and it sounded a lot like this because I'm going to read it to you for Baden Becka you readyary. So she's on the money. I think my partner has an Amazon addiction. He pays for the Prime membership for the free postage, so it's his go to whenever he wants to shop. Now it's getting to the stage where a package turns up every other day. When I bring it up, he gets defensive and says, they're all things we need. But I think that they're nice to have, and I don't think we'd buy them if Amazon wasn't so convenient with the postage that he's already paid for. I don't want to police his purchases. But all of these costs are really adding up, and we've got goals we're meant to be saving four Can you please help? Sounds like my house. I think if you're my husband at me.
Speaker 5: I think that like if it starts to eat into your future goals, so I mean, I guess it would be if you're like spending so much money on Amazon or whatever. It might be, if you have like future goals that you set together and that's really encroaching on that. Then it's all about communication, isn't it. Wow, It's key.
Speaker 2: It's like we could just delete this entire segment of our podcast ever, replace it with just a quicker reminder that communication is key.
Speaker 4: All right, have a good day, guys, exactly.
Speaker 5: But I think if if you're like with me and my partner, for example, like our finances aren't tied together. So I feel like if I was in a posision where I was not yet exactly and who knows.
Speaker 2: But anyway, honestly, I'm at the point where I'm surprised they aren't living together yet, Like it's just it's very you hold it, but.
Speaker 5: We are very alternative. Actually we will be together.
Speaker 2: Very When she was saying, you know, I might want to live by myself at some stages, like really, really you do, that's really cute.
Speaker 5: I'm trying so hard not to like live this very stereotypical lifestyle.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite thing. Like my best friend is gay as well, and whenever she's met someone historically, I'm always like, so how long until you move in? And she's like, no, it won't happen, won't happen, Like we're not silly, Victoria. And then the next week so we signed a lease.
Speaker 1: Really I didn't see that Coming's.
Speaker 5: Gonna be for sure? Yeah, I guess like at this point our finances aren't iied together. So if I was spending all my money on something that made me happy or just like was maybe like an addiction of some kind, that is my own problem to deal with. And she can like have a little say and like be like, oh, I'm noticing your maybe addicted to buying things on Amazon. But that's like that's as far as it goes in terms of like affecting her and vice versa. So I guess if you're at that point, like again like cute communication, but if it's not affecting you, ah in your financial goals, I guess it still is in an indirect way. Yeah, I really feel like that's a very annoying than say, but communication is everything.
Speaker 2: Just got argue you also have an Amazon addiction.
Speaker 4: I love Chek, I do Do you pay for Prime?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 4: Yet me too?
Speaker 2: They just I don't even know. I think it's carry a pigeon beck, Like the stuff gets there so quick.
Speaker 4: It's the fact that I ordered something that I did, realized I needed very last minute at like eleven o'clock, and by eight am the next morning my doors. Really it was crazy, who crazy?
Speaker 2: That's actually more efficient than waiting for JB High Fighter open and going out and getting it myself there. Like so I can empathize, but jess if it was becoming a problem, what will be a look at To me?
Speaker 4: It's a very simple solution, and I don't know if that means that I'm oversimplifying it. But it's just a matter of how much money do you have allocated for just verationary spending's going.
Speaker 2: To go with it. I was like, have you done a budget? No one wants to hear that anymore, Like everyone's over me going budget budget, budget, budget.
Speaker 4: But it's like it's for a reason if you I'm assuming they're sharing expenses because she's saying that it's compromising their shared goals, in which case I would say that when you share expenses, and obviously it's totally up to you as a couple how you structure your expenditure, but you should each have an allocation from my perspective of money that you can spend on whatever you want. So like you each get twenty bucks a week or fifty bucks a week or whatever fits within.
Speaker 2: Your budget, and that's not questioned.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Literally, it's like you, that's your money. If you want to buy a coffee every day, if you want to go out for drinks on Friday night, if you want to buy ten million things on Amazon, as long as it fits within that allocated money, that's your money to spend. Anything outside of that then becomes Okay, that is a cost that needs to be discussed because you've got your money that's allocated for spending, for fun money, as Victoria calls it. If you've spent your fun money, then it's kind of you need to talk, well, are we going to take more money away from our holiday fund or whatever it is? To me, it's as simple as that. So if you don't have allocated discretionary spending, implement it. If you do have it and he's going over it, then it's a conversation that needs to be had about, Okay, well we set these ground rules or these amounts of money that we could spend, and you're going over that, and that's compromising other things. So do we need to redo our budget or do you need to stop pressing ad to cut? And you know that's a conversation between you guys.
Speaker 2: But is that like that's quite simple. I know that it's probably a bit emotionally charged as well, because you're probably seeing all these packages arrive and every single time you see them arrive, you're probably getting like, oh another one, Like you're getting frustrated with this. So we need to probably sit down and do as Jess is recommending, go have a look at your budget. What is going on there? Is this actually coming out of their fund money? If not, what is it coming out of and have you, I guess zoomed out and looked at the bigger picture you mentioned before my fun money, And I think that it's a really good idea to label it that way. I know, so like actually's on the money We pay monthly, right, So I get my income into my account every month, but then I have an autodirect debit transfer that happens every single week on a Thursday to my fun money account. And I know if I wanted to purchase something on Amazon but there was nothing in there, I just put it off a bit until I have more fun money. And I think that that helps me a lot because I know it's a consistent, Like I know that every single week I have that amount that I can spend money on and it's not eating into our bigger goals. It would be a bigger conversation for Steve and I if it was and I was moving money from different places to make these purchases. But for me, I'm like, oh, I spent it all, Okay, I wait to next Thursday. I'm still going to order it like it's still happening. But I'm allowed to do that because that's within our budgeting like parameters, I suppose, So is it within that? If not, how are you going to manage for that? If you feel like you're not on the same page about budgeting and spending and all of these purchases, I would argue that bringing up his Amazon purchases as the main point of the conversation isn't a good idea. I'd actually go, Hey, I'm feeling a little bit in disarray. I'd really love to do a refresh, like let's just do a brand new budget, start from scrap should we can go through all of our expenses and that way, one, you're doing a really nice financial health check on your own financial health. But you're also able to bring this up as a really small part of a bigger conversation about where as a couple you're heading. Because it can be quite confrontational. I know that if I went to Jess and said, Jess, you're spending too much on Amazon, she'd be like, what, No, I'm not. You spend so much on drinks, and you know, you go out with your friends and you're always paying for coffee she might be right, like she might be spending her fun money and mine just looks different. But because I don't have anything physical that I bring homese is so much more visible than mine. So I think we need to just zoom out a bit, have a look at the big picture, communicate, and do a budget. That's usually what gets everyone back on the same page. And then if you identify that that is an issue that is eating into your goals, then we can have a conversation about what that looks like and how maybe we could change that or maybe setting limits. Because at the end of the day, I think we need to enjoy the journey, like we need to be enjoying life at the same time as working towards financial freedom. I mean, don't get me wrong, the fire community financial independence retire early, they wouldn't have this, But I think that to be on the best page. Guess what I'm going to say.
Speaker 4: Communication, Oh yeah, that a part, a really healthy part of communication is clarity, right, and to give yourself clarity.
Speaker 2: Conversation tools and communication tools do look like budgets and things that you can bring to the table that are structured, so these conversations aren't as emotional they're not, Jess, I feel like you're spending too much. They are. Hey, I can see from the budget that we are overspending in this area. How can we strip that back? And then it can be an open conversation where no one feels like they're being attacked, because the second you start attacking someone, especially about money, they're going to shut down and never want to talk to you again. I don't want to talk about money if you're going to make me feel bad about it. That's not for me. Thanks, though, I'd actually prefer to go back into debt.
Speaker 5: Yeah. What did the community have to say?
Speaker 2: So we did, as always ask the community. First question we asked was should both partners agree on a purchase if it is not considered to be necessary. Forty six percent of you said yes, Agreement is key in relationships. Fifty four percent of you said no. Each person can decide for themselves. Do you discuss unnecessary purchases or are you like me and you just have fun money? And if it's above and beyond fun money, we have to discuss it.
Speaker 4: We don't share funds, so it's a household purchase.
Speaker 2: What if you're going to buy a TV like New TV for the launde room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if we were going to buy like a big piece of furniture or something, that would be a conversation for sure, probably aesthetics.
Speaker 5: I would imagine you're probably like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like I'm probably wanting the more expensive, pretty item and he's like the fifty dollars whatever is fine if you're here, I mean, sit down, sit down, sir. You don't get it. There's a conversation to be had there.
Speaker 2: But is there a limit? Do you reckon? Like do we need to discuss a fifty dollar purchase?
Speaker 4: It's hard to take because for us, the only things that we share expenses for are like Bill's groceries, rent, Yeah, pretty much. I think like anything to me, yeah, kind of anything over fifty bucks feels expensive, especially if it's out, Like if I had to buy laundry detergent pods, which are like sixty dollars or safee.
Speaker 2: I got a bug in the other date reject shop though, came down to like thirty cents a pod.
Speaker 4: You're welcome love the reatar shop. You mean, so like if it was something like that that, like, yes, it's technically over the fifty dollar limit, but like we need it, then no. But if it was, Oh, I want to buy us a sixty dollar vase from shared funds. Not that that's something we would spend shared funds on, but if that was the case, then yeah, that would be a conversation for us.
Speaker 2: I feel like I still are and I don't know if this is a bad thing or not, but when I want to make a big purchase, I still ask Steve, even though it's my own money, because I kind of want validation fair. I'm like, oh, so I'm thinking about buying this coat. It's kind of expensive. Do you think it's cute? Do you think I'm going to get were? I'm not really asking him if I can buy it. I'm kind of like discussing the purchase. It's yeah, I'm like, do you like it? He's the worst friend when it comes to fashion. No bare, He's like, no, yeah, if you feel good in it, you should get it. So that's not what I'm asking. That is not what I'm asking. He's like, is it a trap? Like every time I do I look good? He's like, this is a trap?
Speaker 4: Like the answer is always the answer.
Speaker 2: Is always yes, Like it's not a trap. You should have learnt by Now, next question that we asked the community, We said, is it okay to set spending limits for your partner if you're worried about their online shopping habits? Sixty four percent of you said yes, it's reasonable budgeting, and thirty six percent of you said no, that's true controlling.
Speaker 4: I think for me it's the free like you have to set it together. Like I don't think I could turn around and say to my partner you can only spend one hundred dollars a week.
Speaker 2: I'm not your mum exactly.
Speaker 4: Like I think you should come to that decision together about your shared expenses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think again, get this, this is gonna really blow your minds. Actually comes back to your budget. So like you will have worked out all of your non negotiable costs, those things that we can't avoid. Then we're going to see what discretionary cash we have available to allocate. We're going to set our savings and investments, and then from there we're going to have some cash left over to play with once that's allocated. I'm not saying, Jess, you can only spend that. I'm saying to achieve everything that we're achieving. This is the amount allocated each month for us to play with, and if you want to earn more, we need to go back to the drawing board. Either reshuffle the budget to make a little bit more wiggle room, or look at things like increasing our income or moving to a different location or everything. Unfortunately is about compromise because we can't just have our cake and eat it too, And like that's sad but true. We did, as always, asked the community for their two cents, and we had a couple of really good comments. So someone said, sounds like they need discretionary spending limits. Each can spend x amount per week without asking permission. Feel like that's a great place to start. Someone else said, my partner didn't tell me I couldn't purchase things, but helped me see it wasn't worth it. And I'm actually really glad that's nice. Someone else said, I too, am the Amazon addict in the situation, so I'm just here for the advice police. I love that someone else said, create a spreadsheet just for him to record the amount of value in each month. It might help to be able to see the bigger picture. I think that's a pretty good one. But again, I feel like i'd be pretty pissed off if you did that to me, like being honest, if somebody sat me down, if my husband sat me down and said, I think that your online spending is a little bit much. So I've created a spreadshee enough documented all the costs, so I'd be like, Okay, there's no other way for me to feel except for attacked here. So I feel like again, going back to the bigger picture is more constructive. But if it works for you, give it a crack. Someone else said, you can offer an opinion, but you can't control what someone else chooses to spend their money on, which I think is really important as well. True we said just before, Jess, we're not your parents, like You're in a relationship, and a relationship is give and take, and it's about equal contribution. So I think it's important to remember that. Someone else said, imagine what we would say if a husband tried to control his wife's spending totally.
Speaker 4: You know it's not for the gender lens on it, but you know it goes both ways.
Speaker 2: And then we'll leave you with one last one. Someone else said, is he still contributing to what was agreed to for the joint goals? If so, it's then his money to spend. Yeah, so I feel like that's fair just because you don't see value in the things he sees value in. Maybe that's a bigger conversation. But again, just do a budget. Start from scrappy. It's crazy. I get this. There's actually an entirely free one on my website. You can download it for free. I made it, so you know.
Speaker 4: It's going to be good.
Speaker 2: It's truly good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's lots of stuff on the resources page too. Just a little shout out to that web page because everybody dms us and says where do I get those savings hacks? All those savings goals? They're just on our website. You can download them, you can print them, you can frame them, you can do whatever you want with them. You can hand them out at work, you can put it on your fridge. I don't care what you do with them, as long as you're saving money. So with that, let's leave it. Have a good week, guys, and we will see you bright and early on Monday for a money diary. Bye, guys. Bye. The advice shared on Shees on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an in s men or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 7: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 7: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sherper p T y lt D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFS L four five one two eight nine