Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast, Happy Tuesday, Little Tiny Freaks. A couple of weeks ago, I found myself for the Royal National Park up north, about forty five kilometers from the CBD. It's crazy to me, we don't get this in Victoria. You drive for half an hour, You're in National Park right outside Australia's most cosmopolitan city. Like just doesn't make her mind. In New South Wales, you'd be so proud that you have residency here, guys, residency you know, like you got a long stint. Yeah, I had to get here on my own, Robbolition.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so Mickey and I are the real Necker baby.
Speaker 1: Like honestly, yeah.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: But anyway, where I went allegedly had sharks. So I want to ask you, Flexi and Mickey and everyone else listening, would you swim in shark infested waters not only for a bit, but also because it's really hot when you go for a hike. You alwayslex broops. Let's go, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for Flexi is a big question of the week.
Speaker 2: I love doing this series so much. We've had a few big questions. The first one.
Speaker 1: Was big, but not that big. Hey.
Speaker 2: The first one was what's the worst way someone could describe you? The second big question we had is why do your friends like you? Or why do you think? At the very least, and our third big question, what have you decided is your purpose for life?
Speaker 1: WHOA?
Speaker 2: And I'm asking because for a few reasons, But the one that's got me is someone who's raised quite religious or in a religious household, and then has now broadened my interest into spirituality and esotericism and all these things that provide meaning right or at least a direction for how to filter what's happening in life. I start to think to myself, does everybody feel this way? Is everybody going around living day to day thinking this is all for some grander meaning? For me? For example, every day I get up and I think to myself, is this what I'm actually here to do? Like of all the sperms of all the eggs that have the opportunity to vie for my position, I made it. I was fighting on the way out, and now that I'm here, is this It is this what I meant to be doing? And I don't think and I don't want to sway anyone else's opinion on what life's purpose is, and we don't usually answer the question before we pose it. But I would say there is no grand, singular purpose and that's the confusing thing. But I think unless you give yourself a purpose, you kin'dt always live and regret a little bit because you don't have anything to measure your history by. Let's say you say, oh, the purpose for life is just to love and be loved.
Speaker 1: Yeap.
Speaker 2: When you do things that aren't in alignment, like you're like, well, I don't love my work. Go find something that you want to do that you really love. H I don't love my social life. Okay, well you can make some small adjustments. But let's say life doesn't have a purpose for you and you're also not enjoying yourself. Where do you make adjustments to, like, figure out how to make it good for yourself?
Speaker 1: Your depressants great sunlight.
Speaker 2: And sunlight that'll do it. So that is the question for the week. How it goes is on our Instagram Flex and frooms. We post a question box on our Instagram story and that is where you can put your answer and then we'll discuss your answers and see if we can find not even just a singular response, but just to get a bit of a barometer check on what you feel and why you feel it, so we can be closer to you and you in turn can be closer to us.
Speaker 1: There is a Guardian article about pet theft in Australia. This is really sad, guys. They publish a following story with the title They're My Kids, Pet theft, pet detectives and the rise of the multi species family. Well, so allegedly there's been the advent of a thing called pet detective Why because we are seeing that people are actually stealing pets. You know.
Speaker 2: Actually kind of makes sense because I would say, on average twice a week I see someone post a story being like has anybody seen this cat? Has aybody seen this cat? And I, as someone who doesn't own pets, she's like, damn, are those all running away? Like what's going on there? No, they're being taken.
Speaker 1: So the advent of pet detectives reflects a broader change in the way many in wealthy societies interact with and value pets. So over the past few years, the price of pets, particularly dogs, and especially fashionable breeds has vastly increased.
Speaker 2: What do we talk about why during lockdown?
Speaker 1: My dad wanted a dog? Okay, okay, classic, it is not likely that that man shows an interesting pets. However, he was infected by the kavoodle crase and he said, I want one of them kovoodle dogs, which is a poodle and a cavalier. I think is that what the kovoodle is and they're the real extensive ones.
Speaker 2: Hey, how many want to talk?
Speaker 1: Watch cup round dog? Give ten k? Oh, it's giving ten k about twelve years ago to get a little tiny toy poodle. We were talking about two k, which.
Speaker 2: Was the higher inflation hit every industry.
Speaker 1: Ten k during COVID. Okay, eight k probably, but like I'm.
Speaker 2: Wanting to add the little things you gotta get out of the vet bills and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it makes sense that somebody wants to steal a little krusty kavoodle, although I do believe they are the krusties of animals. So alongside the dollar value rise, pets have become. Pets have come to occupy an increasingly intimate role in Australian households, and with this the business of not only keeping pets but stealing and retrieving them has changed.
Speaker 2: So was the presumption that because the idea of a pets role has changed and it's seen as this luxury item, this luxury whatever, the people stealing them aren't doing so for emotional reasons, like I want a dog and you have a cute one. But it's the value. Like, for example, if I have this ten thousand dollar dog it goes missing, I say, dog's missing. Here's a reward two K. And then you give the dog back, you make some cash.
Speaker 1: Is that we were talking. I didn't think it was that deep. Oh. I was thinking more like people want the type of dog, but they don't want to pay for it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, so they see Like, I don't know what's worse. Let's do a show of hands. We've got four people in the room.
Speaker 1: What's worse.
Speaker 2: Somebody stealing the pet for the payday of the reward of giving it back, or somebody stealing a pet because they want that pet and can't afford it.
Speaker 1: The latter is way worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the latter is working it because just being like I want that dog and I'm not going to pay for it.
Speaker 1: I never really understood the crazy about dogs like, in fact, I wrote it quite a scape.
Speaker 2: She's very confusing because chiuahas are a huge part of your.
Speaker 1: Virtual, massive, massive the idea of them. But I will say we have a family dog called Pepper, a toy poodle. She's a cutest dog on earth, and it's very confusing. My sister just sends me photos of Pepper sleeping with her body curled up with her head on the pillow. And when I see that animal like, I finally understand why people love pets.
Speaker 2: When did this family dog come to be twenty ten?
Speaker 1: Should know last legs? And when she dies, I'm gonna be actually just start loving her about five years ago. But actually no, maybe even the last year. She's become very posed these timelines. Guys, I know my limits. I'm not gonna do yeah anyway, so watch out if you lose a pet. There is such a thing called a pet detective. Google Guardian pet detective and then you'll probably find someone. But yeah, one detective found this woman's four chuabas in a boot of a car that it was like so good to be reunited with her.
Speaker 2: Doggies, Listen, it's okay to be embarrassing. We have said before that being cringe is on the direct path to being successful in any manner of the way. So we don't want to pretend that embarrassment isn't a necessary part of life, but I do think we can take some precautions to ensure that we're not embarrassing ourselves for no good reason. Tell me why a video of Hailey Bieber is surfacing on my on my feet and plenty of feeds around the world. World. What we witness is Hailey Bieber being filmed from almost a bird's eye view, top down right to give the impression that somebody is filming her close up, and she's kind of looking at the camera and looking away and talking and kind of responding. And the video that I saw didn't have any sounds, so what we could gather is that she was being filmed by Justin and then she was kind of responding to his compliments, giggling, looking away, being coy. Why did some eagle eyed fan or hater decide to screenshot the video zoom into her pupil for a reflection that showed Hailey's arm holding the phone stop. I can't what do you have to be going through to be experiencing that? I can tell you Haley and Justin have been married since twenty eighteen. Number one. That's a long time, and that whole relationship they've been fighting allegations of not being in love on her end. People are so convinced that she's in love with Justin on Justin's and people are convinced that he is not in love with her, that he's in love with Selena, and that he's in this relationship out of convenience because it's nice to have someone dote on you. For those who do not know, Hailey Bieber was a very very very intense Justin Bieber fan, a fanatic. She went to meet and greets all of that. So her trajectory from fan to wife.
Speaker 1: She killed it.
Speaker 2: Plenty of us are looking for the rule book now. The interesting thing is because the Internet has been poking holes in their relationship. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. And there have been heaps of instances where Justin has been fanning the flames of that narrative of not being in love with her, not wanting to be with her. One of them was recently when Selena and Kylie were bullying Haley on the internet or her fans it's conjecture at this point, but basically, there was bullying happening on the internet. It was getting very obvious that Selena was saying things that would then carry on to Haley's fans, and Hailey would get bullied and vice versa. I said at that point in time, and I said this on radio, that all of this could be squashed if Justin would just clear it up. Yep, stand by your wife and say, hey, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I don't care. I love my wife. Don't talk about us. Zip Lips. Didn't say anything, didn't infer anything, just went about living his life and posting Tell me why not. Weeks later, I'm at Coachella, Frank Ocean does the worst performance of his life. The whole Internet's like this was terrible. Why does Justin climb out of his hole to start making posts in defense of Frank Ocean? You guys don't understand this guy's amazing? La la la. I'm with you, bro all the way. Where is this energy for your wife? It was not there, which makes me think. And I've got a quick question for you for on a scale of one to ten, or maybe one to cringe. How bad is this really faking an intimate moment with your partner to present a united front? And secondly, what lengths would you go to to present a united I feel like I've.
Speaker 1: Done much worse really, just like in terms of it's it's kind of reminds me of like the hand in the shot, Like if I'm hanging out with a with a man friend, I'm gonna be putting it on the story. Do you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 2: E like, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think like I think it's cute. I just I'm just really trying in this life to just not think anything ever is cringe, because I think the cringe thing is to like be mean.
Speaker 2: I think it's sad. Yeah, it's not even like cringe implies like a little bit of humor to it or like there's something quite laughable. But if you just put the facts on the table, you've been with someone for five six seven, they've been married for five years, maybe together for six or seven years, but you've spent this whole relationship trying trying to prove to the world that you are solid, you are fine. Maybe you know the paparazzi called us looking onhappy. But that's what they do. They manufacture these moments. We are fine, we are happy, and you've gone out of your way to manufacture an intimate moment that did not happen. It is not real. How do you come back from that? Do you just not address it? And maybe she doesn't have to address it right now, but the time will come, you know. I feel as though a lot of people can delude themselves into thinking that their situation isn't as bad as it is because they can present the United Front and say, well, if you take the right photos and say the right things, then people weren't read between the lines. Things are not that air tight.
Speaker 1: Flex ands flexi. We have been speaking recently about sport, yes people, the act of playing a sport YEP and one thing that I realized when I was watching the Matildas I was very very privy to the commentary when I watched the game. I watched it once in a pub, once at the actual field amazing, and then the third time at a friend's house with a bunch of girls, so all very different scenarios. The first time that I watched the game was when I was at the stadium and I realized that, Like I was looking at the players and like looking at their hair, or like looking at mary dog gloves on, and like looking at Samco's boots. And I was going to put a story out being like, oh my god, I love the chicken the pink boots as a joke, but I was like, this is going to be lost on everyone. They're going to know that I'm not joking anyway. Then when I was at the pub, I was sitting near this table of guys and I'm always like very interested in, you know, the typical sport person who enjoys sport at the pub, which is this stereotypical Australian man, and how they kind of like we'll swear at the TV or do this and that. And I wanted to say, when they're watching women, is that going to change, Like are they going to say, oh, you b word like da da. And there was a guy in the pub doing that, and I was like, this is so interesting hearing you say it. It sounds so eatful. Yeah, because I already have this already sensitive to it, so sensitive to it, and also have grown up like in footy watching kind of like things environment environments. Then I'm watching with a bunch of girlfriends at home and we were talking about how it's so hard to not comment on the way the players look, and I'm trying to figure out, trying to deduce in my own mind, like is this just something that we do to all people that are visual on TV or because then we were saying oh. At the same time, it was when that AFL player I don't know his name, got his shirt ripped off and everyone's like, oh, we objectifying therasy like sleigh, And I was thinking, how like catching myself like wanting to say, oh, that person looks like this or this person looks like this. But then we were talking to group, being like, oh, we actually don't want to.
Speaker 2: Do that, and especially now because we realize that under the umbrella of commenting on people's bodies, it's also positively commenting or what we attribute to be a positive comment you, oh, like have you been working out or you look so toned or whatever it might be. It's like, place, Yeah, it's a tricky one.
Speaker 1: I thought about it with you, like when I used to comment on like the outfits who you were wearing, Like even there's so many little nuances to commenting on what people are wearing or doing like perceiving someone and making it very obvious that is then permissible for other people to do it. Yeah, sometimes also not favorable.
Speaker 2: So and to clarify what we were discussing as a couple of months ago. For me, the best way I can put it is the relationship that threw me and I have can also bleed out into the environment that we're in because we like to invite everybody into what we're doing, what we're saying, and how we're communicating, and it can be very tricky for other people to determine. I can imagine how to engage with us based on this standard that we've set of like openness and everybody's invited and it's outgoing. And so for me, would comment on what I was wearing, like, oh I like this outfit, or you know FLEX is wearing this day, it's out for today, whatever, And I used to tell her not to do it, not because I didn't want her to comment on what I look like, but I've been in a lot of environments where other people comment on what I look like and I can't tell if it's positive or derogatory, And because they would see through me doing it and it's set to standard of how to do it. I was like, I don't know how you actually feel about me though. I don't know how you feel about my outfit. I don't know how you feel about my makeup. So I don't want anyone to talk about it in an environment where it's going to encourage everybody else to start doing it as well. So it's more like a behavioral thing, like instead of us. It's easier for us to assess how we do us around other people than to start making rules for each individual person that observes us being friends.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly flex and free. I like that FLEXI would you swim in shark infested waters? Yes, I swim.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you have to perpetuate stereotypes. It's epigenetic trauma for me. I know where my ancestors came from.
Speaker 1: Important.
Speaker 2: What I will say though, is I'm happy to get in the water, float around, enjoy myself. I like a pool, I like a spa, I like a hot tub. I don't love a beach. I don't love an.
Speaker 1: Ocean, A wide ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think if there are animals in it, I don't want to be in it.
Speaker 1: And unfortunately it's like not knowing where your food comes from. Like it's very easy to just be in the water and think there's not fishes here. Then I go on the Bondye Shark drone and I'm seeing actual whales below swimmers. So yeah, it's real out there, guys. I went to the National Park to a place called Flint and Steel Beach pretty.
Speaker 2: Sure Northern Oh said it's an arrow away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a narroway from bond Eye And going down into the National Reserve, we chat to the chick who's like the park ranger, and we're like, oh, we like brought our bathers. We just happened to bring up on in to swim, and she's like, you shouldn't swim. You're like, what, like there's no signage, like we've randomly brought up swimming to you. She's like, it's bull shark breeding season. I wouldn't swim there. And we thought, what the hell, because you know, you got.
Speaker 2: A discern is it like a duty of care from a corporation or like a girly to girly.
Speaker 1: And my friend is like, I've looked on all the like trail things like telling us about hikes, and they said it's fine. To swim there. We're the only people on the beach. Why do I go in?
Speaker 2: Why are you playing with fire? If she if the person literally at the entrance to your utopia saying it's not safe there for you, baby, it's hell out here. It's horror. It's shark infested waters. You can't double back and say, I've actually been on the website. I said it's fine. What was the website published two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: We'll put a photo in this. I looked over across the water from a large van. I scanned like there was nothing. There was not even fish in the water, Like it was just.
Speaker 2: Like I was in Greek reading season.
Speaker 1: So they're gonna come around the corner and bite your dick off. I wasn't the only one there. I wasn't, So you're sam, Yeah, babe, got down in the cozies. Considered a little nudy moment, but too much, too much deliciousness to blame it.
Speaker 2: This is such a far cry from the through me of four months ago, who almost drowned in Balley got caught in a rip was parodying, I might even say, preaching sea and being safety now is saying rip is a no go, but shark infested waders were happy to see.
Speaker 1: How we go there in a in an area which you can't get to buy a ambulance. One k hike anyway, Flint Steel Beach guys, once bull season is over, highly recommend was gorgeous sat sign making on a orange rock. After all, he said, it was honestly like magical.
Speaker 2: And you came up drenched and she was like, you guys did it?
Speaker 1: Dumb bitch idiots. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio