Speaker 1: Got anything good.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 1: Yesterday on the show we were talking about rom coms, and I said that The Notebook was a rom com, and I thought today we could talk about what do we think are the greatest rom coms of all time? Because actually, when you think about there have been so many, so many really really great rom coms, also loads of very tepid, bang average ones like Adam Sander has made some good ones, but even more bad ones, and I love The Sandman. But today we want to find out what are the greatest of all time? The goat rom coms. So we're going to form Goat Island, and on go Island only four of the greatest of all time rom coms can be on there. So you've really got to make your pitch count which movie and why there's a scene you'd like us to dig out as well? To back up your case, let me know nine four one four one oh four three. Jackie boy, what are you going? Do you love rom coms? First of all, I do love a good rom com.
Speaker 3: I love a rom com And this is the first DVD I ever owned. Ten Things I Hate about You, Brilliant Rock com. This is Heath Ledgio iconic scene where he's singing to Julia Styles on the bleaches of the soccer field. This is a Shakespeare play, modern adapt adaptation into the best rong com of all time.
Speaker 1: A couple of years ago during lockdown, we watched it, well, I watched it again. I watched it with my two teenage daughters. And it's still a great movie.
Speaker 3: It's still know what's the best thing about it? He didn't care what anybody think.
Speaker 4: It was his breakout movie, wasn't it. I think it probably is really discovered on an international scale. He was brilliant in it.
Speaker 5: Now tell me this what year was that out?
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety nine?
Speaker 1: Patsy, what are you going there? What do you think is your contender for greatest rom com of all time?
Speaker 5: For Go Island?
Speaker 6: I could fill all four spots with Bridget Jones one, two, three, four equally only No, No, No, how Dare You deserves its place?
Speaker 4: Absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 6: I think there's every woman can relate to a little bit of Bridget, just that awkwardness sometimes when trying to meet a partner, but also just being authentically herself. And and the scene I love most is where at the dinner party, Mark Darcy and her go down the staircase and it's where he proclaims that he's into her, and he says to her, with all of your you know, weird bits and all your weird sort of tendencies, I love you just the way you are. You don't need to change, Bridget You're perfect.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I just having it re enacted. We've got the clip, but we don't bloody need it. You'll recreating the street band on a keyboard.
Speaker 1: Come surrounded by this real cast of.
Speaker 5: What this is a clip you're talking about?
Speaker 7: I think, I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting, and you really are an appallingly bad public speaker, and you tend to let whatever is in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences. I realized that when I met you at the Turkey curry buffet that I was unforgivably rude and wearing a reindeer jumper that my mother had given me in the day before. But the thing is, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you very much.
Speaker 8: Apart from the smoking and the drinking and the vulcan mother and the verbal Diarry, I like him very much, just as you are.
Speaker 1: Bridgie Jones has to go on the Go Island. It's such a great It is one of the greatest rom comms of all time.
Speaker 5: You're right? And the fourth one, Patsy, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think I've got into saying this that throughout the other week. It's brilliant, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Oh my god? You're right.
Speaker 1: It is such a moving They really really they did something really special with that.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a great movie.
Speaker 1: I think it still leaves the door open for maybe even another one or two, but it is the fourth one is very very good.
Speaker 5: All right? What else should be on Go Island?
Speaker 7: The Christian O'Connell show podcast, What.
Speaker 1: Do you think is the greatest rom com of all time? We're looking to our four on Go Island? The greatest of all time?
Speaker 5: Island? Are the four the best romantic comedies? Make your case? Which movie you love? Nine? Four, one, four, one oh four three.
Speaker 1: I was just trying to work out which actor and actresses have been in the most like ten out of ten rom coms. I reckon it's between Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, because Hugh Grant obviously has been in low's his hit rate. Actually, so, I think about a lot of people saying how much they love love Actually right, she got Hugh, and that Bridget Jones is in notting Hill with another huge rom com star and a great actress, Judy Roberts as well.
Speaker 5: They've been in so many The.
Speaker 3: Other two I think of is Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson.
Speaker 1: Matthew Nay has a lower hit rate than anybody else, which is why since we realized and he's just stopped in rom Comms and actually become the true great actor I am, he just led them by. I can't count No one has mentioned any of the McConaughey he is when he was into rom Commons, which is so astonishing about his career. Then when he goes in and does like True Detective and all these incredible ether roles. Now you love Jack's contender then for greatest of all time, rom comm is a great one with Heath Ledger.
Speaker 5: Ten Things I Hate about.
Speaker 3: You, PATSI, You're absolutely right. It was his international breakout role. Ten Things I hate about you. And it was Heath Ledger's choice to sing can't take my eyes off of You on that clip that we listened to before, because originally it was going to be I touched myself by the the vinals.
Speaker 1: You don't want to hear a hormonal teenage boy college thing in this to audiences around the world.
Speaker 5: It's not the right.
Speaker 3: Thing, changes the whole.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: They're directors or someone that made a smarter choice. All right, there's sir tea some cools now nine four one four one o four three. What do you think is the greatest romantic comedy of all time? Danielle?
Speaker 5: What's it for you?
Speaker 2: When Harry met Sally?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's one of my favorite movies of all time. What do you love about it?
Speaker 8: Well, even apart from the cafe saying what my probably one of my favorite part is at the end on New Year's Eve when he finally realizes that he's they met for each other, and then he runs in and like you know, proclaims all the things that he doesn't understand about it, but despite all that, he just he loves her anyway.
Speaker 2: It's not because I'm lonely, and it's not for goods of New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as passible.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's a great movie, right, watch it every couple of years. When it came out, it was like nineteen eighty nine, I think, or nineteen ninety nine. That was the end of the eighties, and I was like sixteen or seventeen. I love that movie. Do you know it's only ninety six minutes, right. I think it's one of the perfect comedies. And what it is is like most romantic movies and romantic comedies, they're about the spark, they're about falling in love. What I loved about Harry When Harry Met Sallie's still now. It's about what happens over the years. I've been watching that as a young man, thinking if I get married, I hope it's someone like that. Next month, we're twenty seven years married together. I love When Harry Met Sally. It's such a great movie because over the ninety six odd minutes, their relationship grows over twelve years, they help each other through all these different breakups. There's a very different take on what it is not just to fall in love, but obviously to sustain it and to keep it going over the years. You're right, it's a great movie, Danielle.
Speaker 8: And then they have just quickly and then they have all those losses, all the old pop along the way, Yes, and just how they all may different stories. It's just the whole movie is just perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also when you watch it right, you should watch it again. It's a time wheek and it is the definitely the eighties. Men are wearing very big chunky sweaters that's not yet come back.
Speaker 5: Around this winter in Melbourne. I want to bring back big chunky sweaters Danielle. Thank you very much for saying that one.
Speaker 7: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast