Speaker 1: A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn Brady or work our windows my world rison the dust. Only good babs are all down. I don't much, but yeah, I know I'll big get and what I want. It don't matter where. This is the pickup, Hi, guys, it's a pick up with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 2: And you've got a very important appointment tonight. Laura, and you were just telling me about.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving the show today to go and get my girls, to go and do a mad dash to Kmart to go and get everything that we need to make Easter hats for the Easter hat parade.
Speaker 2: What are you going? You're going like a wide brim a cap. What's the base?
Speaker 1: The problem with Easter hat parades is that you really have to work with whatever you can find. So it's a bit of a scavenger hunt. Because you hear me out, I don't think that's true. I think you can do more. Shops need to like sell things that are specific for making the Easter hats. You gotta go hunting. You gotta find, like we things to hot glue gun on it, or it's a paper mache or crepe paper, like it's a whole thing. I just loved Pitchy doing it. I do it every year. What are you talking about last year? I went and bought like fake flowers, and so she had like ornaments of rabbits stuck on her hat and then fake flowers around the ornaments. It was a masterpiece. She held onto that one. It's still in the cupboard.
Speaker 3: You know. One of the only things I've ever won in life. Couldn't even win The Bachelor. The only thing I ever won was the easter hat parade when I was about five years old.
Speaker 2: I nailed it. We had to do a well do you still do it?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: Do I do an actual parade? The parade around?
Speaker 2: Oh, we were on the catwalk. I'd gone to modeling classes. I did model classes.
Speaker 3: I knew how to walk, and I strutted that hat and I had you know what won me?
Speaker 2: Plus my mum.
Speaker 3: It was a full easter hat parade, like beautiful hat, but it was a wide brim and she put like, we're in the outback where you put like cork to get the flies away, And so I had like an outback cork swinging around my head.
Speaker 1: Sorry, was it cork? Or was it tiny little easter eggs, because that would have been.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe she did the East trokes. I can't remember, but it was to keep the flies away.
Speaker 1: I thought I won. I mean that gives me some that gives me some inspo. Maybe I can do that, but with Easter eggs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she'll probably win if you do that.
Speaker 1: I do have to get her into modeling school. That's probably the ones.
Speaker 2: I'll come around this afternoon. I'll show her some things.
Speaker 1: Now. Look, I have been unintentionally, slightly intentionally. It started off intentional. It was intentional, but now it's unintentional rage baiting people on the internet. Now, if you don't know what rage baiting is, it's basically when you create content on Instagram with the intention of making people angry.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's pretty self explanatory, Like you're baiting the rage.
Speaker 1: I'm baiting the rage. Yeah. My husband and I, Matt, we have been doing a renovation and we've been documenting the process over the last couple of months. It's been nine months. And let me tell you, we have put some blood, sweat and tears into this renovation and dollars and some cash. It is eclectic, it is weird. I mean you described as a Willy Wonker house, but we wanted to have a house that was like colorful and fun that when you walked into it, you felt like you're on a holiday.
Speaker 2: It is a fun house. You got to put those sunglasses onto walking.
Speaker 1: Over the last couple of months, we've realized that people either love it or they hate it. And in the last week we've started to do room reveals because we were our own little mini block here. The first one was the bathroom, the second one was the kitchen. And I just want to say I was not prepared for how angry renovation content makes people.
Speaker 2: You baited too hard.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean to age. The problem is that when past rage baiting and now it's like people are just being me and I'm like, this is still my house, guys. So this is what I mean by it's making people enraged. Firstly, Daily Mail has written an article about how enraged people are if you want to go and look for it. But also it things like this, oh, actually funny. Her handle is plain Jane, so maybe it's why she doesn't like it, but she wrote love that for you. You were being stubborn with your style. I just don't understand how it works though it doesn't work with the natural simplicity. It's ugly.
Speaker 2: Wow, imagine writing someone.
Speaker 1: Here's another review. Oh my god, that marble is hideous. Here's another review from Stacy Yuck. The cupboard doesn't match anything and the tiles are just horrible.
Speaker 2: Hang on in the kitchen or we're stillroom.
Speaker 1: We're in the bathroom now. Marble fixtures and layout is the only saving grace. This person wrote, well, you would be ripped to pieces by SHANEA blaze. Let's put it that way. It's a no from me too.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it's not the block. Shane is not coming to stay.
Speaker 1: Someone wrote you couldn't pay me to stay here, and I was like, you'll never get to stay here.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Sharon, you're not invited.
Speaker 1: And then the last one was and this was about the kitchen reveal, So that was the second room that we were like really excited to share with everyone. And someone wrote better than your crap.
Speaker 3: Bathroom at these private dms written publicly.
Speaker 1: Look, I'll be honest, I.
Speaker 3: Guess you do put it out there. You open yourself up when you say what do you think? Yeah, which you did do so you have to expect people to say that they don't like.
Speaker 1: I want people to know that, like, I'm okay with it because, like we there's been a lot of kind feedback. There's been a lot of people who love it. There's been a lot of people who are into the maxim minimalist, like eclectic style of a crazy house that's got personality, and then there are people who are not, And I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Producer Grace, why don't we get some of the block judges on, why don't we get one of them on, let's show them some of the house. Let's get and see what they think, what Shana thinks, Let's see what SHANEA thinks.
Speaker 1: Darren Palmer, Darren Palmer is going to be like, it's a monstrosity, let's do it. Yeah, I'm down. My only worry is someone saying things like, oh my god, it's getting worse. And I was like, guys, we've shown the best two rooms. You started from the top, like it really is. It really does get worse.
Speaker 3: There's a really interesting discussion going down all the way over in Italy.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The reason that I want to talk about this is because it's something that I have been thinking about recently getting married. Whose name I'm going to take my fiancees or not? What are we going to name our kids? Whose name are going to give them?
Speaker 2: But over in.
Speaker 3: Italy there's a politician named Dario Francescini who is proposing a new bill that any children born will automatically take the mother's surname instead of the father's surname. Now, we know in Australia that the default usually is the father's name, but you can choose, so you can if you both agree to, you can say, you know, we're going to to give it a hyphen double barrel, or we're going to give it the mother's name, or whatever it is. But kids in Italy are automatically registered with their father's surname, and the mother's surname is only permitted if the father is absent from the child's life. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean I read this. I have opinions on it for multiple reasons, but I think it is really an injustice, and I know that that's one thing he said. He described it as centuries old injustice. But it is an injustice if the only time the mother's name is permitted to be the chosen name is in the absence of a dad, because the thing is, there's a lot of dads who might show up as a really half assed parent who then may be in and out of that kid's life for the rest of their life. I understand that that's a possibility. And it may be also that the mum does know who the father is, but they're not together and he's not an active participant in the child's life. Like, there's so many reasons, so many reasons why it shouldn't just be the default of the dad's name. It should always be a conversation. But I think like having it like this and having it written into legislation means that it makes it really hard for moms who want to be able to have the same last names as their children and also have that connection to them.
Speaker 3: So do you think here in Australia would you ever want it to be the default that it was the mother's surname that was give passed on.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I don't think we need it to be a default here because I think we have the opportunity of choice. The problem is, though, is that we are still very steeped in tradition that most women take on their partner's name. There's definitely been changes. I didn't take on my partner's last name when we got married. My name's Burn, his last name's Johnson. There's definitely people who are breaking from that. However, I would be lying if I didn't say that. They're like literal years and years and years, and my upbringing and everything else didn't influence my decision making when it came to me having children. I never took on Matt's last name. But when I was pregnant with Marley, it wasn't even a consideration as to whether she would have my last name or Matt's last name. It was as though it was just an expectation. So we never discussed it, and both my both my children or our children were still happily married. Both our children have the last name Johnson, and I don't share that last name with them. And in our family it's fine, because you know, I grew up in a family that had lots of last names, because my mum got remarried and I had a half brother who's you know, my brother, but we all had different last names. However, it is interesting to me that even though I think I am progressive in this space I have no interest in changing my last name. That it didn't even occur to me that my kids having my last name was an option.
Speaker 3: Did that not even come on to your radar when you were getting married, that maybe you could give them your name.
Speaker 1: No, Because I you know, regardless of whether we are together forever or not, he's a great dad. I know he will always be a co parent. I think we're going to be together forever. That's not me saying otherwise. But I knew that I had a great parent in him, so it doesn't bother me that they had the last name. The thing is, that's not always the case. And I think about my brother growing up. So my mom, she had my little brother, we've got a quite a big age gap, and he has a different last name to me. His dad was absent from from the day he was born. My mom raised him as a single mom.
Speaker 2: She doesn't even get the name.
Speaker 1: And like they were married, you know, it was a very tremultuous relationship. He was a horrible person, and my mum ended up keeping her married name his last name because she didn't want my brother to grow up in a household where he was the only one who had a different name.
Speaker 3: Maybe she didn't think of that as an option. She could have also changed his last name.
Speaker 1: The problem is is once it's on a birth certificate, you have to get their approval to change the name. You can't as a mum just change a name. So I think the problem is is that a lot of women in Australia and across the world are in situations where they have no contact with their ex'es or their past anders. They may not even be nice people, and yet their children have to carry the last name of that person because it was never an option to them.
Speaker 3: Well, it is interesting the arguing against this. There's another politician over there, Mateo Salvini. He has said that if this bill comes into place, we are wiping these fathers off the face of the earth, which I think is interesting because for centuries, what have we done wiped the women off the face of the earth pretty much.
Speaker 1: I think that my argument to that is I don't I don't have a last name as my kids, but I'm still their mum. I haven't been wiped off the face of this earth exactly. My role and responsibility as a mum is not defined by the fact that I don't have the same last name as my kids one hundred percent. Yeah, I think that. I mean that to me just feels very fragile, ego unfortunately interesting to see what happens.
Speaker 3: I feel like Italy and France are usually pretty progressive with these kind of things, So watch this space.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done your DNA test, like an ancestry test.
Speaker 2: I actually haven't, but I've never felt the need to.
Speaker 1: Are you just a bit curious about like I don't know your family tree and like what it is? What's your maker?
Speaker 2: I mean if you are questioning where I'm from?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you have questions about me, I can definitely go and get it done.
Speaker 2: I don't belong to my parents.
Speaker 1: No, i's this going. Do you know something? I don't, Brittany, this is your life? No, I find it really fascinating. And so my husband and I we actually did DNA tests together recently, ancestry DNA tests, and we got an email saying that their results were inconclusive. So we weren't able to get our results back. And I don't know, but I'm gonna do it again because I made these big jokes to Matt and I was like, what if, like they found out something because when you do it. You have to submit like this is my dad, this is my mom, this, and you submit as much as your family tree as you possibly can. And I was like, what if the reason why they kept it is because they found out something they don't want us to know about it, Like maybe your dad's not your dad.
Speaker 2: They don't want to blow up your life.
Speaker 1: Maybe my uncle's not my uncle.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but like, look, I think they'd tell you if you're your uncle of your uncle's that's not that impactful.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, I think it is. Anyway, this article that came out, so a woman kind of she went and did all the different DNA tests. There's a couple that are really big ones in Australia. One's my heritage obviously ancestry DNA, which I think most people know of. And then there's also another one which is kind of like the crem Dela Creme of DNA tests called twenty.
Speaker 2: Three And me, hasn't that just gone into what's it called receivership?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you know more about it than I.
Speaker 2: You're like the krem Dela Creme. I'm like, it just went down to go go.
Speaker 1: Do you know why they say it's the crem dela creme purely because it's the most expensive, it's meant to be the most thorough. But in the experience of this woman, it absolutely wasn't the case. But one thing she did find out plot twist. She found out that her childhood crush, who she had been obsessed with and in love with for the majority of her adolescents, turned out to be her cousin. Imagine if you found out not when you know, not a childhood crush. Imagine if you found out like you were dating. There was a.
Speaker 2: Couple that found out in America. She did the DNA test.
Speaker 3: She found out that her husband or fiance was a direct relation to her, and she was going to bury that information.
Speaker 2: Tell him I can't remember, I'm on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 3: Produce your grace park to look it up.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So there was a couple who discovered, after ten years of marriage and having three children that they were cousins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they found out via DNA.
Speaker 1: You just stay if you're being married and you've got kids, it's goorn too far. You're in two DP, you've already done all that.
Speaker 2: You're in white lotus territory.
Speaker 1: Just staying there. Look, I mean we opened up the text line and also I did a call out on my Instagram for this. You would be shocked by how many people discovered really salacious things about their families or about their lives. This One girl wrote in and said that her grandma had six kids and they all did their ancestry tests as grandchildren, and they found out that the grandma had been having an affair with the farmer who lived on the farm next door, in Italian farmer, and the youngest three children were not actually their grandfathers, but it was this Italian farmer. So three of the kids had the Italian heritage in DNA, and they were all linked to a different dad.
Speaker 2: They were all having a rumble behind the shed.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't just her, just the grandma. The kids absolutely were not rumbling, They all weren't.
Speaker 2: But they were Wow.
Speaker 1: Good on her. People who found out that their biological dad just wasn't like their dad, wasn't their dad. Loads of those came in. That would be a really sad discovery. Imagining thirty years old and finding out that your dad's not actually a biological dad. Know that that is gut wrenching and your mum did the dirty all those over there. Another girl wrote, my sister found out that she has a different dad. There's a lot of dads out here that are finding out that they either have kids that they didn't know they had, or that they're not the father to the kids they thought they did have.
Speaker 2: I just think, let dead dogs lie. What that's the saying, isn't it?
Speaker 3: This is why I would worry about going and doing a test, not that I think anything would come of it, but I'm happy with my life. I don't need the disruption. If it came out then my dad wasn't my dad, which he definitely is. Hang On, I don't want to go anywhere my dad is my dad. I don't have any queries, but I'm just saying sometimes I think ignorance is bliss.
Speaker 1: How's this one? This girl found out that Ivan Malatt is her dad's second cousin. See you know that's Skelton in a wardrobe and a closet.
Speaker 3: You don't need to know about it related to a psychopath?
Speaker 2: What are you going to do with that information?
Speaker 1: Anyway? We've got to call her on the line, Rosie, What did you find out from your ancestry? DNA hibrit high Lord time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't myself directly, but it was a family member. It was probably in her late fifties at the time. She'd been doing the whole ancestry journey for a long amount of time with her sister and her dad wasn't her real dad, and it was actually the next door neighbor when she was growing up.
Speaker 1: I linking to the neighbor though, how did she get there?
Speaker 4: I think maybe that family had also been doing kind of their own journey, so there was already DNA kind of in the system that was able to be linked. Yeah, a bit of a shock.
Speaker 3: So did his neighbor. What's the outcome here? Did the neighbor take her on as like the dad?
Speaker 4: So look, I'm not sure he was actually alive, but I do know that she's now in touch with the children that he did have, so she has kind of got other siblings out there, and she's in very much the same mindset as you said, Britt, Like, you know, my great grandfather was her dad, that's who raised her. So still kind of her opinion, but kind of good story is which is yeah, kind of got some more family members out of it.
Speaker 2: So that's nice, all right, you sold me, I'll go do one.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do one because I'm frightened to what I might find out.
Speaker 3: To be honest, you need to do one because you've done it and it came back inconclusive. So either they're saying that you're one of those avatars and your DNA doesn't match the humans, or something is a myths, so we need to get.
Speaker 2: To the bottom of that.
Speaker 1: That is not a story arc that I want to unpack on radio.
Speaker 2: That you're an avatar, that you're not related to your parents.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, well that is it from us today.