Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order, Kernie Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money Podcast Millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where we get to talk with one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Now, let's dive straight in, because this week we got a letter and it sounded like this, Dear, She's on the Money. I was told I'd never qualify for an investment property loan, but I proved them wrong and bought two in just seven months. Growing up, I was taught early that money is hard to earn and quick to lose. By the age of thirteen, I was teaching drum lessons for ten dollars a session, which taught me the power of saving. Now, at twenty four, I'm self employed with two positively geared properties, and I'm just getting started my goal to build a ten property portfolio and secure a financial future on my own terms. With a mix of savvy hard work and inspiration from the She's on the money community, I'm showing the big dreams really can come true. Money Diarist from ten bucks for a drum lesson to having two properties and the plan is ten that's a bit of a financial glow up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm on the way. But yeah, it's a bit crazy to think of it like that.
Speaker 4: I love this so much. I am so excited. Let's dive straight in. But before we get there, money rist, what grade would you give your money habits If I asked you to give them a grade from eight through to F, I.
Speaker 2: Would probably give myself a solid b ooh, a solid bee.
Speaker 4: All right, let's dive into it. I want to know tell me a bit more about your money story.
Speaker 2: Yep. So, when I grew up, my parents had two government jobs and we had everything that we needed. I was very fortunate to live in the home that I lived in and have the family who are super supportive. We all grew up. All my siblings were doing music, so my parents paid for us to do our music tuitions, but we also did a lot of extension bands. When I went to high school, my primary school band can asked me to tutor a student. He actually said it was going to be twenty bucks an hour, and I thought.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a good deal.
Speaker 2: I know, I thought I was going to be getting more than what people at macas get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But then I realized it was only thirty minutes a week.
Speaker 4: Oh but still.
Speaker 2: You know what you get what you get, yeah, yeah, but still it was fantastic because I just would hop off the bus on my way home from school, do my lesson, and then head home, so it was super easy. When I was in year eight, my brother and I were in an extension band for the region and we went to our band rehearsal and the idea was kind of prop to us that there would be an international tour to both Hong Kong and China.
Speaker 4: You're going to have to tell me, I'm sorry, what is an extension band.
Speaker 2: It's like outside of school. So if you were advanced at your instrument, you would then audition for an additional program to do outside of school.
Speaker 4: Ooh, you're an advanced musician.
Speaker 2: Yes, some might say. Yeah. So we came home and we told my parents that there was this option for us to go overseas on this tour, and my dad said, yes, that sounds awesome. You can do it, but you have to pay for it yourself.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. And you were like, oh, this is not how I saw this conversation going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm thinking I'm earning ten dollars a week doing one lesson a week. How am I going to afford a trip to China? So my mum had this idea of us getting those Cabri chocolate boxes and selling them at soccer games and netball matches. Smart and that's the route that we went down. Yeah, So we ended up going every weekend, going to netball courts, soccer games, taking them to school, taking them to band and honestly, the amount of chocolates we sold it was ridiculous.
Speaker 4: But everyone loves a giant Fredo, Like I mean, the second you offer me a giant caramelo koala babe, like say less.
Speaker 2: And you know what, the caramelo koalas were the ones that would sell the most. We had a lady who would buy them by the box.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because she's a genius.
Speaker 2: And so we would go and sell them at school and we would sell like toblerons as well, so toblerones and like two spars and all the different kind of cabri chocolate. And my mum she's like, you should sell the toblerns for two dollars because they're a boogie chocolate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, smart woman, she's a business lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get a bit more profit. So we started selling them at school. But we noticed that there was another kid selling chocolate at school, but his toblerones were only a dollar.
Speaker 4: Oh, you've got to market competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what my brother did, and this is I think where the light bulb moment went off for me on how to be savvy with money, he went and bought all of the toblerones off, chucked them in our boxes, and we went off and sold them for two dollars each.
Speaker 4: Honestly, you are business moguls. You were born for business that's actually iconic. He won, you.
Speaker 2: Won exactly exactly, and it just was like a light bulb moment of you know, you can still get your cake and eat it too, you can. You know, everyone can win.
Speaker 4: I adore that. I think it's so funny. In my mortgage breaking business, I don't think that's going to work for me, but in a product based business could potentially be a great strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then we ended up going on that tour. We raised eight grand total.
Speaker 4: What eight thousand dollars from Cadbury Chocolates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's a lot, it's a lot. My mum was saying, we're selling so much chocolates that soon we're going to become chocolates. We just were a chocolate family. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that. I love that side hustle queen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we went on the tour and it was fantastic. And then two years later we were offered the opportunity to go on another international tour and this one was to Europe. So guess how we got us there?
Speaker 4: Hey, Cabri, you heard of us before?
Speaker 2: Yep? We caught up Cabri and we sold another eight grand worth of chocolate.
Speaker 4: Oh my God, I love that, and I love that it was like you guys were so involved in the fundraising for that, so like it totally benefited you. But you learned a lot about financial literacy, about negotiating, about like putting in the work. I'm obsessed with that. Bring back the Cabri chocolate sales. Although do you reckon that they're like five dollars of chocolate nowadays, because I feel like it used to be like a dollar for a giant Caramela Koala.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty expensive now. I don't know what the profit was like, but when we did it, it was I think we're making about twenty dollars a box. So you purchase the box for thirty dollars and then you sell the whole box for fifty, So we'd make a twenty dollar probit, which is a lot of boxes to sell one hundred percent us going. Yeah. And then the following year, my brother was in year twelve and he was in a different band to me, but they were going to America. So, being the good sister I am, I pulled up my sleeves and I started selling chocolates with him. I'm another four grand for him to go and then The following year, it was my turn and my band was going to America, so we sold another four grand worth of chocolate. So to all throughout my high school life, I sold twenty four thousand dollars worth of chocolate.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Cadbrey, you're welcome, because if you're spending thirty dollars to buy that box, we all know it costs them two dollars to make. You've basically kept Cabri in business.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely crazy. I can't believe that we sold that much. But when I go past the network courts, I thank goodness I don't play netball. I go past and I get a little bit of like, oh, I don't want to be here anymore. I've spent too much time here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's fair, that's fair. I feel like you'd be a bit triggered. But for twenty four thousand dollars, I'll take that feeling any day. That's absolutely fine with me.
Speaker 2: And I think growing up and having my dad be so adamant, like you can do it, but you have to put in the effort yourself has put a really strong worth ethic, especially in all of us kids, because we love what we do and we put a lot of effort into our jobs, and it really shows like we're happy to put in that time because we know what the outcome will be.
Speaker 4: I love that. I feel like it's teaching work ethic really young. Yeah, and it was for a bigger cause it wasn't just you getting a whole heap of cash and then seeing what to do with it. Like you had a purpose, you had an outcome. You got to see that be achieved. I think that's just it's really cool, and we.
Speaker 2: Valued it so much more because we spent all of those hours going and putting in the hard work so that we could go on these trips one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And they are not cheap, Like, those trips are expensive. And imagine if your parents had to cough up twenty four thousand dollars for you to, you know, pursue your band dreams. It just is not feasible for the average family, Like that's just not an option. But you still got these opportunities because you guys got involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly. But yeah, I went on and I ended up doing a design degree. I didn't go down the music route. I wanted to kind of stray away from my brother we already played the same instrument, and he was already going down the music route. So I changed my direction and I ended up doing a Bachelor of Design, and throughout my work I was still tutoring. I had about twenty students drum students at the stage, and I was charging a bit more. I wasn't at the ten dollars per half an hour anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very nice for a NUS.
Speaker 2: And my grandparents ended up getting quite unwell. My grandmother had dementia and my granddad had Alzheimer's and they were at the stage where they started to need someone to care for them, and so I volunteered. I popped my hand up and I would care for them.
Speaker 4: Oh, you are so special.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it was the best experience. It was in their last three years of life. And the connection that you build when you're seeing, especially a grandparent who you view in a certain way when you're young, and then being an adult and having to care for them and help them eat and help them walk and do exercises. It has taught me a lot of people's skills, but also it's given me a lot of reflection that life is so sure and you don't know which way it's going to turn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and those diseases are heartbreaking, Like, those diseases are things that I would never wish on anybody because they're just slowly chipping away at who you are and what you were. And like watching that, as much as I can see that you're so grateful for the experience, it would have been heartbreaking at the same time because they're losing themselves and that is Oh, you're such a special person for stepping up and doing that. Because as much as you're saying like, oh, it's such an opportunity, like, it also would have been a really rough gig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was tough, but I have been brought up in the most exceptional family. We're a huge family and we are always there for everyone. Everybody has a place and if I needed help, I know anyone would drop a hat to be there.
Speaker 4: I love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't even a question, like I just knew yes, I And especially because I was kind of finishing up my degree, I had part time work. I had a bit more time on my hands compared to everybody else working full time.
Speaker 4: You're like, well that fits me, no worries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was also the time around COVID. So I was having a hard time finding a job in like a corporate world to do design, so spending my time with them was much preferred. But also it was a lot more valued to me. And because I cared for them, I was then able to start thinking, Okay, what do I want to do, Like I had a bit more time under my sleep, kind of like a gap year but for a few years, and I decided I'm going to start my own clothing brand.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah. And I had a chat to my dad.
Speaker 2: I said, Dad, I'm going to start my own clothing brand. And he said, that is the dumbest thing you could do.
Speaker 4: You can always trust your dad to give you some brutal honesty, can't you.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he said, do you really want to be self employed? You're going to have to do your own super You're not going to have any leave, no maternity leave, no holiday leave, no sickly trust me, it's just put it in the two high basket. You don't want to do it, just go get a normal job and work for someone else. And I just was like, oh, that sounds boring.
Speaker 4: You're preaching to the converted, Like I'm at a point in my career now, where if I worked for somebody else, i'd be fired the same day that I started employment with them. So like, yes, not for me, but also it's definitely the safer option. At the end of the day. Having a consistent paycheck coming in is so valuable. Like the amount of stress that you carry as a business owner insane. But tell me, what did you do. Did you listen to your dad's advice?
Speaker 2: No, I did not, And I went off and I started my own brand, and I had the best time. I woke up every morning and I loved what I was doing. But also keep in mind, I was self employed since I was thirteen. I was teaching music lessons from a very young age. I knew how to talk to clients. I knew how to you know, have those people skills to run your own business. And I just had finished my degree and I was ready to give it a crack. So I had my own brand. I was selling online, I was selling in stores, I was doing runway shows.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was thriving. It was going quite well, but I just was starting to feel a bit burnt out from doing the marketing, the sales, negotiating with the manufacturers. There's so many different hats that you need to wear. And I listened to a podcast of She's on the Money, one of the earlier episodes, and you were talking about freelancing, and it was like a light bulb moment, and I thought, oh, my goodness, I can do all of this for somebody else as a freelancer. Still work on my terms, and I kind of chose the roles that I liked the most and the ones that I was best at. So now I am a freelance designer and I do that for clients instead of doing it all for me.
Speaker 4: What that's so cool? I love that I get to be a timey little part of that journey and that you're like, oh, you planted a little seed and then that grew and now I'm thriving. I love this. I mean, you would have thrived anyway, but like, I like that I got to be part of that. That is legit so cool. So tell me about what you now officially do for work and how much money you earn.
Speaker 2: So I am a freelance designer and I'm also a music tutor, and the last financial year that we had, I earned one hundred and nine thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: What one hundred grand and you're just doing your own thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, And the year before I had earned seventy thousand dollars, and then the year before that when I had just started, only in the last few months I earned thirty grand.
Speaker 4: That is really good. I love that. So are you paying your own super? Is a very good question because your dad turned around and said, ah, you'd have to pay your own super.
Speaker 2: Yes. I do my own super, and sometimes I pay a little bit more because I know that it's very important. Sometimes I put fifteen percent in.
Speaker 4: Oh an icon? How's that going for you? Dad?
Speaker 2: So my super is currently sitting at thirty two thousand, four hundred.
Speaker 4: How good's that? And how old are you?
Speaker 2: I'm twenty four.
Speaker 4: That is an epic amount of superannuation for someone who is only twenty four to have, Like you're I mean this in the most non condescending way ever. You're just the baby, like you are starting your career and you're earning six figures. Be for real, what other twenty four year old is out there paying their own superannuation, running their own business and earning six figures. That's so cool. I'm so proud of you. I adore this so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's absolutely crazy, And I drive in between my jobs to different schools and I just think, like, I'm so lucky that I get to do this for work, Like I have the best job, I work with this people, and I'm loving my life, like I'm so grateful that this is how everything's turned out. And the crazy thing is, no one's given it to me. I've just pushed and pushed and pushed and have made it happen for myself.
Speaker 4: I adore that. It's the tiny little things along the way that end up not being tiny and little, like selling Cabri chocolates and teaching you that you can run your own little business and it doesn't have to be complicated and you can raise funds in a way that makes sense. And then from there you're like, well it's not that hard, Like I could definitely, you know, do some music tutoring and charge some money from that, and it just starts to grow. It's like these tiny little seeds and I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're in this position where if I said, hey, money, dires, can we check back in in you know, a year or two years, you could be like, yeah, so I'm earning one fifty. Like it's just going to grow from here on in, especially as your reputation increases as a freelance designer.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually insane because I don't have to market myself anymore. For example, I just finished with a client last week and already an old client has come back ready to do their next range with me. So people are constantly coming back.
Speaker 4: I love that. So tell me what does a freelance designer do, because that sounds cool. Are you going in and helping clients create ranges for their businesses or like I need to know it sounds so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a brand or an individual. Usually it's individuals who have other jobs. Maybe they're a stay at home mom, or they work in accounting and they just need a creative output. They come to me and they say, hey, I'm wanting to start up a brand, or I'm wanting to develop a range or come out with a product, and I work with them on developing that product. I then do the technical documents so that it can be sent to a factory to produce it. I also do logo design and print design and all the graphics for their brand, and then I send them on their way and they can go and produce it.
Speaker 4: What and you get paid to do the good bit of business and then hey, guys, you run it. I don't want to do the accounting. I don't want to have a thing to do with your accounting software or like the clients or the issues. Like have fun, bye, and then you get to go do it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and every project is different.
Speaker 4: You are a genius. I love this. That sounds so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is fun. And I've done so many different things. I feel like my scope of work has changed from if I had just gone and worked with a singular brand. I've done dog apparel, swimwear, active, where, men's wear, bridle, everything, like, so many different areas.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna snoop you later. No one else can do that, but I get to you. I'm going to snoop you later. I cannot wait to see more about this, because I didn't even know that was a thing, Like I just assumed that. You know, if you were starting a dog apparel business, right, you would have to be the designer and create these products and you wouldn't really have the support. But then that's your literal job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of the time. The people that are starting these brands are more analytical. They want to do the business and the selling and the marketing. They don't want to do the design and the construction and chat with the manufacturers. So I'm able to just slot in and assist where I'm needed.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that. I want to make a product based business now, so we will have to talk. I have no idea what I want to do, how I want to do it, but that just sounds so fun. Like oh, and even getting to collaborate with people over exciting ideas of something new starting. It's like when I'm sitting down to write like a new course or something, I'm just so high on life because I'm like, oh my god, Like we get to create this brand new product and it's all of those dreams and wishes at the start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: So tell me money, Darist, what are your big money goals? What are you currently working towards.
Speaker 2: I am working towards owning ten investment properties.
Speaker 4: Okay, where does that come from? Why?
Speaker 2: Ten? I just think ten is a nice number, and I just think like it's just out of reach. But I've already kind of started snowballing, and I think I'll be able to get there. You're already twenty percent of the way there, Yeah, which is kind of crazy to think.
Speaker 4: It's actually insane, like you're twenty percent of the way there and then the next one will be thirty, Like it actually starts to snowball. Why property? Why not the share market? Why not you know, building business that you can sell, given you're actually very good at that. What about property is so sticky for you?
Speaker 2: Well? I never actually thought that I was going to go into property. My parents didn't have investment properties. They owned the house that we live in, but there was nothing externally. No one I really knew had like multiple properties. And I was on Instagram. I was scrolling and I saw the fire's egin and he was a twenty something year old who had six properties, And I thought, what, how can this twenty year old have six properties when I'm also a twenty year old? Like what makes him so special? And I had a chat to him and he had talked to me about his strategy positively gearing, negatively gearing. What even is strata? Like I live at home with my parents, I'm so fortunate that I don't have to pay rent. I've never had to pay any of these things, and I wanted to learn more about it. So I started reading. I read a few books, and I just realized, I think this is the asset for me. Also knowing that if something happens and I need to go live somewhere, or if I decide to move to a different state, I can do that. I have that freedom and that flexibility.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that, And I feel like that's you've nailed it right, Like you've nailed it in terms of you've worked out that that's the asset class for you that works the best. Because at the end of the day, I think so many people want to look at a spreadsheet and go, oh, V what asset class returns the most. And if we compare the four main asset classes in Australia, cash, fixed interest, property, and the share market, the share market returns the highest on average, right, But that doesn't mean it's the right asset class for everybody. That just means that on paper, it returns the most. Whereas you sound passionate about property, you're driven. You're motivated, Like you can't pay someone to be passionate and motivated and driven about the share market, whereas when it's property and if that's the right asset class for you, you're going to go no, no, no v. I'm so motivated to get to my next investment property, Whereas if I said, oh, are you keen to get another fifty grand into the share market, you might go not really, like that's not for me. So you just don't have the same commitment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. And I think another thing that is pulling me towards the property market is when I wanted to go self employed, my dad listed off a bunch of things that I wouldn't be able to do. One of them was, you'll never be able to own a hope.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dad, I don't know where you're getting your information from, but I would like to show you my two investment properties.
Speaker 2: It's so good because I say to him, oh, really, I'm looking for my next one. He's like, yeah, good, keep proving me wrong, keep showing me that you can do.
Speaker 4: That's the dad's strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so like Well, at first too, I was actually told that I couldn't borrow money from a broker. So a few years ago I had seventy grand saved and I went to a broker that my dad recommended, and he said, come back to me in four months at the end of the next financial year. Because my previous financial year I had just done thirty grand and it was coming to the end of the next one. So I had a four months and I saved and I saved and I saved, and I ended up having one hundred grand in savings and my second tax return of seventy grand. And I just thought, like, I'm ready. I'm going to get a place who has this amount of money saved.
Speaker 4: At twenty three twenty four b for real, I know.
Speaker 2: And so I had a chat to him and he just said, look, I am so sorry you haven't earned enough in the last financial year. Just keep saving. Come back to me at the end of the next financial year when your income has gone up.
Speaker 4: No, you find a broker who's going to find a bank or financial institution that will accept twelve months instead of twenty four months of financials. As you probably know this is my space. Like, you find a bank that you know, the interest rate might be slightly different because there's different levels of risk taking on someone who's self employed. But like we've gotten loans for people who have only just started their businesses and are twelve month in Like, it's not about yeah anyway, I've just got a lot to say about that, because so many times we get clients who have been told no, and the reality is the broker didn't want to dive too deep into the reality of other options.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean me starting out, I just thought, like, really, are you serious? I didn't understand that he was using two years of like two tax returns.
Speaker 4: Well, why would you. It's not your space. It's literally not your space. And that's why you're meant to go to a good broker so that you just trust what they're saying, because like, you shouldn't have to question it. You shouldn't have to be doing a heap of your research on your own. What should happen is your broker should put everything on the table and explain why all of these options exist so that you go, oh, sick, like that makes the most sense to me. Otherwise, why aren't you doing it yourself?
Speaker 2: Exactly? So, I was feeling super disheartened, and I dropped a few swear words. I was not happy. I would have too, don't worry, because I thought I was ready to go.
Speaker 4: You had one hundred grand be for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was doing work for this client who actually was a broker at the time, and I sent her a message and I said, I know that this is a bit off topic from your designs, but you know, I just spoke to a broker. He said that I couldn't. Are you able to check my borrowing capacity? I sent her all my details and within a few hours she called me and she was like, oh my goodness, you can borrow up to seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: And You're like, look, I felt that deep in my bones, like I knew that that was meant to be for me, but someone had been saying no.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was so happy because I already had a buyer's agent under my belt. I now had a broker ready to go. I just needed to find the right property. And in November of twenty twenty three, I purchased my first investment property.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's so recent. That's literally eleven months of ooh.
Speaker 2: I know, not even a full year. It's actually crazy. So I purchase a two bed, one bath, one car apartment in Perth, and I purchased it for three hundred and twenty thousand dollars and I had a deposit of seventy five thousand, and it is positively good.
Speaker 4: That is such a money win. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. I want to dive into the properties that you own, your property strategy, and how you knew that property was the right one for you to purchase. Guys, don't go anywhere, all right, money direst We are back and we are starting to talk about your investments. So before you told us about your first house, can you just quickly recap your first property and then let's talk about your second.
Speaker 2: Yes. So my first property is in Perth. It is a two bedroom, one bath, one car apartment and I purchased it in November of twenty twenty three. I paid three hundred and twenty thousand dollars to purchase it. My deposit was seventy five thousand, mortgage repayments about four twenty a week, and my rent is five point forty making it positively gear.
Speaker 4: Tell me more, how did you find that property and how did you go This is for me like, this is the right deal, Like I should absolutely be purchasing this property because you don't live in perse like that could be really scary buying literally on the other side of the country when you live on the East coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of scary. And I spoke to my bias agent and I said, should we go over and check it out? And he was like, no, you do not need to go. It's okay, Like we're getting building and pess inspections and you'll have like a lot of information sent your way regardless. I like that.
Speaker 4: He was like, nah, you're fine, You're fine. Yeah, that would give me anxiety, Like I need to see it.
Speaker 2: I know. I wanted to see it. I wanted to be there, but he had done it so many times, and I thought, just trust the process, Like people come to me who need my help my specialty, and I'm going to him because I need his specialty. So I'm just gonna let him guide the way. But yeah, So we found the six in the complex and I purchased number six, but number five was currently up for sale and I saw it. It didn't have any photos, and I looked it up online and I looked at the exterior of the building. I looked at number one, two, three, four, because I had also all just been sold so I was having a look at all of them. Another's buyer's agent was actually purchasing them all for their clients, and that's kind of what happened. But number six hadn't been put on the market yet, and I didn't know this. I spoke to my buyer's agent and.
Speaker 4: You're like, hello, that sounds really interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He's like, is there any others available? And he said, look, number six is about to go. Somebody's already negotiated the price down, but they don't have a buyer, so if you want it, you can take it. And it was below market value. Market value at the time was about three sixty and I ended up purchasing it for three twenty.
Speaker 4: What the hell?
Speaker 2: That is actually elite, I know, and I made profits straight away.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I am so excited for you. And this is during a time so you were purchasing in twenty twenty three, so when you're purchasing, and I want to just give people a little bit of context, because not everyone's been through that property journey, and I mean, we're all pervy, my love, like we need to know. But if you were purchasing at the end of last year, you weren't getting COVID interest rates, like you were getting high interest rates? So what were your interest rates on these properties? Because so many people over the last twelve to eighteen months like, no, don't want to buy it. Interest rates are way too high, Like that's really scary. I'm going to wait for them to come off. Why weren't you thinking like that?
Speaker 2: I was thinking it's more about time in the market rather timing the market.
Speaker 4: Oh you are as she's on the money dream story.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to drop that. I've been listening for a little bit.
Speaker 4: No, I love that. But what were your interest rates? And did you go, oh, is this a good or a bad idea? Are you fixed or variable? What does that look like?
Speaker 2: So I'm variable and my interest rate when I started was six point four or five and it has gone up to six point six. And I'm not too stressed about the interest rate because the yield is so hi. My property has a yield of about eight point eight percent. Yeah, what I know. I'm so fortunate. And it's because we purchased the property before the market was peaking, and then the rent has obviously skyrocketed. In Perth, I could charge a lot more from rent, but I don't want to do that to the tenants. I would rather have tenants that value the property and look after it rather than charging them everything that they've got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're an icon and that's a really sustainable model. Like a lot of people will be listening to this and they're like that so greedy. I can't believe you'd buy property and you know, hoard it. There's a whole heap of conversation to be had around this, and I just I would actually like to see more ethical landlords because in our current economy, in the Australian economy moving forward, there is not going to be a situation where people are not renting, like people need to rent at the end of the day. And I would much prefer ethical landlords like you, who are like I would prefer to buy the house. I'm getting great rental yield. This property is helping me, but also the people that live there are valued and they aren't getting charged extortion at rent. And I think that that's where we need to sit. And even if you have ten properties, that's ten families that you could be helping by not taking the mickey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I always think because I've had this conversation with friends and family, and I know that the government doesn't have enough housing for everyone, and who houses majority of the renters. It's individual landlords like myself, and we're giving people a place to stay. Plus when something's broken or something isn't right and my tenant says it immediately, I get it fixed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're a good landlord. Not everyone is the same as you, though. Some people are insanely greedy and don't want to do that, And I think that there needs to be a balance, like if this is going to be part of your wealth creation strategy, like how do we do good and be good along the way. There's been a lot of conversation. You've probably seen it in the She's on the many community. It's not evolving me, but I do let them have their time to, you know, share their opinions. But at the end of the day, like we need rental properties on the rental market, and they're only going to go on the rental market if they are bought as investment properties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So I'm really fortunate that I've worked hard enough to be able to assist these people in where they're able to live. I know, like when I was looking for a place in Perth to purchase. I was talking to a few agents and they said that people are living in their cars and these are not just like anyone like doctors and lawyers and people that are having these high paying jobs. They're still struggling to find a place to live. There's not enough housing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. And you buying more investment properties is not going to stop that problem, but it is going to open it up, because if we're all just waiting for first home buyers to purchase their first homes and then move into them, that's actually not helping us wear a housing crisis.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On a lighter note, I was then able to use the equity from that first property to help me purchase the second one in June of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, So tell me about this second one. And you used some equity. How did you use equity and what did that process look like?
Speaker 2: It was quite seamless for me because I didn't do any of the money side of it. Yep.
Speaker 4: Your broker was a legend.
Speaker 2: Yes, she was a legend, and she pulled money out of my first property to then put it into the next. So we pulled out thirty four thousand dollars worth of equity because the property had gone up and we didn't want my first property to go into Elmi territory.
Speaker 4: Yeap, No, that makes sense. And so did you have to cough up any cash at all for that purchase?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I had twenty grand already to go, So I paid twenty grand of my own plus thirty four thousand dollars of equity.
Speaker 4: That's really cool though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in Elmi for that. I think I had eighteen percent or just under the twenty percent deposit. But with the higher interest rate, it still became beneficial for me because my yield was so high.
Speaker 4: I love that. Tell me about how much debt you have now?
Speaker 2: So I have two hundred and eighty four thousand dollars my first property in debt. My second property is two hundred and fifty four thousand dollars, and I have a hex's debt. It was originally sixty thousand, six hundred, but I've windled it down to thirty seven eight hundred.
Speaker 4: Wow, that is so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not stressed about the debt because it's still you know, my hex will go like slowly. It hasn't stopped me from borrowing, and my two properties they're paying themselves off. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you said the property you purchased in November twenty twenty three, you are paying on your mortgage about four hundred and fifty dollars a week, but you're getting five hundred dollars a week in rent. Is that the same for the second property.
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I'm paying four hundred and twenty for the second property and I'm getting five hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: Well, that's an even better deal. What's the rental yield on that?
Speaker 2: That's also eight point eight percent?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. I am, honest to God, so proud of you. You were a little hustler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And to be honest, I wasn't even looking for a second property. Well, I was looking for a second property, but I didn't want to get it in Perth. Yeah, I was being in Brisbane or Gold Coast.
Speaker 4: You want some diversity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted to change it up. I know that, like, if I just stuck with the one market, it could crash. And that's all my assets there. I wanted to spread them out. But my buyer's agent contacted me because somebody had just pulled out of this property. The second one I got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I'll snap it up at eight point eight percent yield, Like I would have said yes before he'd even finished the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a no brain. I was like, get me in, I will take it. Yes, please, I will sign now.
Speaker 4: I love that, but I love that a long this journey, A lot of it has to do with your good savings ability, because you couldn't have seized that opportunity if you didn't have that additional twenty thousand dollars in cash sitting to the side. So it's not as though you can just be super passive about property along the way, like and just go, oh, well, I got into my first and I'm going to wait until there's equity for the second, like you could, but it'll take a lot longer. But you've been saving along the side, which meant that when he said, oh, on's just been put to the side, You're like, yeah, noorries, I'll take that, thank you. Like what a way to seize an opportunity, I know.
Speaker 2: And because I had that cash, I was able to get in the market sooner. And my broker has done a valuation on both of my properties and I'm now able to put one hundred and twenty one thousand dollars out of both properties to put towards my next three All.
Speaker 4: Right, tell me about that. What's the strategy, what's the plan, what are we doing moving forward?
Speaker 2: So the plan is to purchase in high growth areas that also have a reasonable yield that cover all, if not majority, of my repayments, so that my overall portfolio is positive. I'd rather overall positive. I can have a few negative properties in.
Speaker 4: There, Yeah, because those ones over time are probably I guess, wealth builders, because they're going to increase in value rather than just have good rental yield.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the ones that can grow faster or grow slower, but larger amounts of equity for me than means I can then go and purchase more properties down the track without using cash that I've had to save.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. And is your broker just on your team to make sure that this is always being checked in on, always having your interest rates reviewed, and like knowing at what point you can purchase again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's fantastic. We even had a big phone call. I said, I want to get ten and I don't want to stop, like I don't want to be unable to service these loans. So we've set up a company and a discretionary trust to purchase my future properties under.
Speaker 4: I Connie, I was about to say, so, how is this structured in the background, Like, have you seen an accountant to make sure that you know that cash flow is going through your property portfolio?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's all been set up, which is fantastic.
Speaker 4: I'm obseested.
Speaker 2: So I now own a company and a trust, which is just crazy because I feel like this stuff just goes over my head a little bit. But I'm so fortunate to have the best team who's able to explain everything and make sure all the eyes are dotted and all the teas across.
Speaker 4: Yeah, adoor adore, I'm so obsessed with this. For you, congratulations. Literally, that is honestly so impressive. Tell me what can we learn from you? What's your best money habit?
Speaker 2: Well? I never buy anything full price, like that is just not something that happens. I look on Facebook, Marketplace, eBay, op shops sales like I go to the gym and I go to one of those major gyms and they always have sales, but I don't want to pay the price. Like, my gym membership is usually thirty two dollars a week, which for me, I think like, yeah, okay, but it's a little on the higher end.
Speaker 4: An investment in your health. But I get it.
Speaker 2: So I called around, because they're all individually owned, I'd call around and say, hey, like, what's the best price you can do? Okay, I'd get that price, go to the next one. Hey, so and so can do this price? What can you do? And I ended up getting my membership down.
Speaker 4: You're a legit hustler. I love it.
Speaker 2: I just love a deal. I love a good deal. But I got my gym membership down to nineteen dollars a week.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, don't ask. Don't get though, Yeah, you're saving cash, like, and if you don't ask, the answer is immediately no. And if you ask, like no, one's going to judge you because usually the people that you're talking to are just like you, and they're like, oh, this girl's savvy.
Speaker 2: But they even go wow, like I appreciate what you're doing, Like you're smart, you're trying to beat the system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see what you're doing. I respect it. Here you go nineteen bucks a week money ween?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So that's probably my best one, you know, always asking, always trying to get the best deal, negotiating.
Speaker 4: I love that. Tell me, though, are you bout at anything? What's your worst money habit? I have two.
Speaker 2: My first one is that I have become a willing victim of lifestyle creep. Yeah. And I'm enjoying getting my nails done and you know, having a personal trainer and going out for more dinners. And I know I could be spending my money better to reach my goals, Like my goals are big goals, and I know I need to put a lot of money aside. And because I've now earned over one hundred thousand dollars, everything's just like I'm not saving as much and I need to pair it back and pretend that I only have seventy thousand and dollars of income to save more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair, that's fair, And I do you know what? I feel like? That's so common in the first few years as a small business owner, when you start to earn more and have a little bit more financial freedom, you really utilize that and then give it another twelve months and you'll be like, nah, I'm going to crack down again. Because like, you know, I'm not achieving the big goals as fast as I want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean, like, do I really need hot pink nails every week? Probably not?
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, wrong answer for me. Whoops, whoops.
Speaker 2: Maybe I could paint them myself, Okay.
Speaker 4: Like I do do that, and I really enjoy it, Like I always do my own nails at home, and it's kind of become like a little bit cathartic, like I have a fun time doing it, but that's over time, Like I used to be the girlie that got ownail's done all the time. In saying that I can't do my own lashes myself, and like that's something I'm not willing to give up. So I think that there needs to be some level of balance of enjoying the now but also creating wealth into the future. And I think that it's I'm just never going to be one of those financial independents rot early girlies, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I think I will also love the luxuries of life a little bit too much too.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's any shame in that. I think it's just like, no, this is how I like allocating my money, and I'm very aware of my values exactly.
Speaker 2: But my second worst habit would be, like I feel like I need to buy things because they are such a good deal. When I see a deal, I can't walk away. I was at an op shop and I saw the ugliest dress. It's so ugly. It was a deer only dress with boning in this weird greeny blue color with pleating, and it looked terrible on me. But it had brand new tags on for seven hundred and fifty dollars and I bought it for fifteen So how could I not?
Speaker 4: Okay? Well, but also if it looks terrible on you, like you could sell that like for fifteen bucks, like you're going to get fifty at least, Like you know what I mean, Like you're a hustler. What are you doing with the dress?
Speaker 2: Low?
Speaker 4: Have you just put it in your wardrobe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just sitting here.
Speaker 4: Are you going to sell it? You're going to wear it? Like if it doesn't look good on you, get rid of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I need to do something, But the thing is, I have so many of those things, like they all just accumulate. I need to go to in set up like a market store.
Speaker 4: No, you don't you need to just become a deepop girlie. Yes, take a photo of it, chuck it online. If it sells, go back to your wardrobe, pull it out, pop it in a post pac send it off so easy. Yes exactly, Jess from She's on the money, She's a deep pop queen. But I feel like it just does the hard work for you, Like in a market stall. I feel like they're fun, but like that's a lot of work, whereas snap a picture of you in the dress, pop it online and when it.
Speaker 2: Sells, it sells so good. I should give that a go.
Speaker 4: I want to hear about it. Money, Dirice, this has been elite, Like I am obsessed with your money story. You said though that you're a solid b. But even your like quote worst money habits are things that you were like, no, no, no, it's like not something that I want to change, like you know, quote worst habit, but also like best outcome for me. I'm enjoying life and really happy with the way I'm spending money. You're self employed, you have two positively geared, and you're going to buy ten. Literally you said earlier that you have one hundred and twenty one thousand dollars worth of equity that you can use literally today to get you into your next three properties. Do you think that sounds like someone who's just to.
Speaker 2: Be I think, knowing my money mindset of me being so money hungry and constantly working, I have a hard time of having a break and giving myself that like a six day or a float, like I will always work because I am self employed. So I don't think I'm at a level yet maybe a B plus. I will upgrade myself too, but there's always room to grow, and I think I won't be at an A until I get further along my goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's fair, that's fair. And I mean, if we look at your goal pragmatically, you're twenty percent of the way there.
Speaker 2: I know, crazy, Yeah, but that's cool.
Speaker 4: That's twenty percent you didn't have before twenty twenty three. Like, that is very cool. I'm so excited about this, and I am hoping that at some stage you're willing to do an updated money diary, because we need to know where you have gone and what this looks like. But till then, money Dorist, we have run out of time. So it has been a pleasure. I have loved this. This is so fun. I felt so motivated to, you know, make sure that we are all finding our own journey. I loved what you said early on in the episode was that you looked into property and picked the right asset class for you. And whether people pick property or shares or fixed interest or cash like, I don't mind, but I love that you deep dove into working out what worked for you and now you're going for it like it's just so cool. I'm so proud of you. Thank you of course, Oh my gosh, well, thank you for being on the show. It has been an absolute pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me, and I love your podcast.
Speaker 4: Thank you now you're on it crazy.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for education purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 4: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money Sherper pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven
Speaker 4: Zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine