Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Mattrolope, a writer for ozopen dot com, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Viv Christine, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 1: And Viv why are we sitting down with Alisha Mullick this week?
Speaker 2: Well, it's twenty years can you believe it? Since Alisha won bronze at the Athens Olympics in two thousand and four and she still describes that as the pinnacle of her career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really cool to chat to her and hear her reflect on that run in such vivid detail. So let's have a listen now. Alisha Mullik, you are joining us on the sit Down today, almost twenty years on from what I imagine must be a huge career highlight, and I just wonder what you remember about those games twenty year is on.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I can't believe it's twenty years ago. Quite amazing, because it's all still really fresh in my mind. And I think that, you know, the memory is so vivid because it was just I think, such a real moment, a turning point, a real achievement within my career. I look back on it now I can't quite believe, you know, that that it happened and that I achieved a bronze medal. I mean, the first thing that I really think of was, you know, how difficult it was to win a medal in Athens, not purely because of the venue, the conditions. I think most days were forty plus, so I really remember that well. But secondly, the field, you know, aside from myself winning bronze and then Emmeline Maresmo silver, Justin Hannan gold was just you know, a phenomenal to be within their company and standing on the podium. That's a moment really etched in my mind that I will never ever forget. And you know, the kids now, you know, leading into the Olympics. Now children start to do projects and things, and they have a keen interest in varied sports. So it's it's nice to occasionally, you know, have some reminders of it too. Mostly every four years.
Speaker 1: Two weeks before the Olympics, you won the Stockholm title, and I just wonder getting that win so soon before the Olympics, Like, did you feel you were coming into Athens with like more momentum and confidence as a result of.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, without question, And I do remember playing in Stockholm. I fortunately had won the singles and the double, so I had a lot of match practice in that particular week, and once again it was warm conditions quite almost quite similar to Athens. So everything was I think tipping in the right way as far as preparation for the Olympics when I competed in when I competed in Sydney, I didn't quite I was in the Olympics, but I didn't really think I was at the level or bleed, I was at the level to win a medal. But most definitely arriving in Athens having won a tournament, you know, it being probably the best six months in all you know, the best six months that I've ever had in my career. I felt that I was a definite shot. So it was a really different feeling going to the Olympics with a medal in sight. I think there's a lot of Olympians, or a lot of competitors who go there to participate, don't really have the full belief, don't have the full understanding of their ability and what it takes to win a medal. So that's what really set happens apart. I felt that I was ready I was really well prepared and the result really showed.
Speaker 2: Alicia, you beat Isugiyama, the number eight seed in the quarterfinals, so they gave you that guaranteed your chance to play off for the bronze medal match. Can you remember what that felt like, securing that chance.
Speaker 3: The opportunity, getting myself into a position where it was just, you know, it was within sight. All of a sudden, it's not about the matches. It's a metal match, and that it reads differently on the schedule. It feels different, all of a sudden, You're in contention for something that very very few people in the whole world have the ability to ever put their hand up for. So it gave me a real you know, it gave me a sense of pride that I'd put my country in that position, myself in that position, my team in that position, you know, and I couldn't wait for it. I was really looking forward to that following round. I yeah, I really narrowed my focus. I still I do remember my preparation and it was almost as if everything really condensed and you sort of block out the outside nose because it was about going that far, but making sure that I had a medal to take home as well.
Speaker 2: Were you aware of what had happened to Anastasia Mesquina in the other semi final before you faced her in the playoff match.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had, I had, And in terms of I think she was I think she had a couple of match points or a match point away. I think from beating Emilie or Justine. I can't rememberho it was, but I feel like she was in a winning position and she'd let it slip. She'd completely let a match go. I think she got anxious, she got nervous, and I remember her being completely devastated walking off the court.
Speaker 2: And can you describe the psychology of playing for the bronze medal, like you're balancing the disappointment of the semi final, yet you're playing for such a great prize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. You know, that's the difference with the Olympics. In every other tournament around the world, you at at some point in time, you get bumped bundled out of the tournament unless you're the victor.
Speaker 2: And you know, for.
Speaker 3: Players such as you know Serena and Novak and you know Venus and you know these stars that continually make finals continue, you're lead at title winners. You know, that's always there. So the majority of tennis players around the world losing every week and that's I guess that was pretty special to have lost but still had a shot for the trophy, for the bronze medal, So it still felt like a win. It still felt you know, and really not since junior days do you lose and then you have another opportunity, you know, in the feet in a van or you have something else to win. So it didn't diminish the didn't you know. I still felt incredibly excited, incredibly proud the fact that I was buying for a bronze medal. Yeah, in no way did it diminish my efforts as well in losing the previous.
Speaker 1: Route Olympics return to Summer, the Summer Games in nineteen eighty eight, and in that time you're the only Aussie that's won an individual medal any any other time and Aussie's done it and it's been in doubles, so so that that, yeah, it's quite unique. And how where does that kind of achievement sit in the whole context your your career considering that significance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's right up there. It's probably the proudest moment of my whole career. I you know, winning brights means that you you walk away, you're exceptionally proud. You you get to take something home, You have a chance to step up on the podium. You you still have a chance to represent your country by you know, being in that third place and being alongside complete champions of the sport, and you've had a second bite at the cherry. You've made the most of. But so it's a winning feeling. You feel like you've won a Grand Slam. I mean, the Grand Slams are the pinnacle of tennis. That my bronze medal was the pinnacle I think of my career, no question about it. You know, you reference how happy bronze medalists are and it's it's completely and true. It's completely euphoric as well. You know, there's a really good good I remember reading an article once saying that bronze medalists live longer than silver medalists because you know, if you win gold, yeah, things a great roasie. You you know that you've reached the pinnacle in your sport, you know, and the silver medalists always lived lived with what could have been what should have been, you know, the disappointment, reliving all the moments of where the gold medal match went wrong, what they could have done better, living in regret. And I think the bronze medalists, they said, you know, are so happy with their performance. They've come away with something and they you know, I think it increases their living capacity by a couple of extra years, the silver medalists. So I'm kind of glad I got the bronze, you know, gold would have been great. But you know, it was the most incredible feeling too too. When I was presented with the medal you know, around my neck and had the wreath from Athens as well, the olive leaves and the wreath that they placed over our heads. It was, Yeah, it was a real pinch me moment that actually didn't feel real at the time. It was something I never thought I would ever experience because you watch it as a kid and feels so far away from reality. You know, you see this thing, the Olympics on a screen every couple of years, you know, the winter in between every two years, and you know, so that the dream became a reality, and I think at that moment it was I've never cried because of joy. But I did cry that match, and it's never happened to me before in my whole career where I have won a match. I felt so proud of myself that I actually was in tears and I'd given everything and it was the only time it ever happened in my career tears of joy.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well that speaks of the significance of where it sits in your career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you alluded.
Speaker 1: To it earlier in the chat that you were on the podium with Justine and Emily. So you lost the semi final to Emily. She went into the gold medal match and lost to Hennan. And there's some great photos of the three of you appearing on the Metal Days and you're all talking to each other, I guess after the anthems or whatever, and you're and there's photos of you and Emily looking at Justine's and you're all sharing a joke and you've all got the reads on your head. I just wonder, Yeah, what that moment was like sharing it with them, because as you said, they were, they were such champions of the game themselves, and what what was that like camaraderie like in the in the metal presentation and when that was all happening.
Speaker 3: So I'd never seen either of them smile that much either, you know, you know to tow athletes that keep their cards pretty close to their chests, or they did in their careers. Between Emilie and Justine and so they were, they were head over heels with their performance, their win, their their medals, and you know, for all of us, it was a moment that we're all comparing you know, weights, colors, we were all just so so interested in and I think, yeah, we're just all of us overcome with joy. And I have to say the same for Emline and Justine as well, that it was just pure joy in that moment. Unfortunately, for Justine being able to experience her national anthem, the Algium national anthem, that was you know, one step further as well. It was you know that that even gave me goosebumps listening to it as an Australian athlete.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the Olympics is unlike any other experience that you have on tour. What was it like being around the Australian team, more broadly the Australian Olympic team and just other great athletes of the world.
Speaker 3: I think the absolute highlight is because throughout the year, in a general sense in tennis, you you aren't just following the summers around, but you are You're amongst tennis players all the time, tennis coaches, trainers, fitness trainers, mind coaches, you know, so you are around the same people so often. It's so many very tennis tournaments around the world, and all of a sudden you are traveling on buses with the swimming team, with the table tennis team, and getting to know other athletes outside of your sport and really forming some great cans, learning about their journeys, how they arrived there, learning more about other coaches in other sports as well. So you have this huge amount of respect for everyone around you, and there will be all the smaller moments that I really enjoyed, was, you know, going to you know, pick up your laundry from the laundromat in the village, but you might be in Athens. I think the line's often for twenty five you know, twenty twenty five minutes. Inevitably there's a couple of Aussies in the line. You know, you let them jump in front of you so they can get their laundry. A bit quicker. You start chatting and you just have a little bit of time to learn so much more about others that you generally wouldn't have had the opportunity to do so in crossing paths. Also, the apartment blocks are set up so a number of sports and athletes are sharing, often on the same level, so inevitably you're having coffee or a meal all together, and that's a that's a real highlight. It sounds so normal, but you know, in a sport like tennis, we often just don't have that opportunity. That's why it's just so extra special.
Speaker 2: Were there any particular athletes that you can recall meeting and sort of connecting with and anything specific you learn from them.
Speaker 3: I think, well, I did remember having a photo with Yeomen and that was I have to track that one down. Actually I'm not sure what it really is, but that was a real moment. You know, someone that you've seen on TV, the basketballer for so many years, probably within the Australian team. I think it was. You know, I've took a real interest in the group that were boxing, learning about their journeys. Even now I can't maybe we shared with now might have been actually the I think there was softball in Athens. I think I'm sharing some of the softballers. To be honest, did you get.
Speaker 2: To watch other sports at all? What other sports did you take in?
Speaker 3: Very you It was just because of the conditions in Athens, lining up with matches, playing doubles was just a lot on the schedule. So I do remember watching some cycling. I do remember heading over to the pool and watching some races, doing as much as I could. However, hockey as well. I'd taken a hockey game that was an evening game, just as a real balance, you know. And that's I think the difficult part for a lot of athletes to manage the excitement of being in the village, managing their training, managing their competition. You know, even getting from it's different to every other event, because even getting from your accommodation to the dining hall sometimes can take twenty minutes by the time you've walked there, you know. So there's there's just so many other factors that you need to consider in your data, training or preparation for your match. So but you know you're at the Olympics, have to take some of it in. I know there's lots of sports choose not to do the ceremony, not to take pardon that, not to go and watch any other sports, so no outside distractions. I think it's a really fine balance. If I yeah, if I had a chance to chat to some younger, younger players who were representing Australia for the first time, I'd say, you know, strike a really fine balance there.
Speaker 2: And the opening ceremony. You did do that, yes, yeah, we all look.
Speaker 3: Very few players didn't take part, and I think, you know, it's always I think as tennis players in general, we're quite flexible. You know, we're used to delays, we're used to waiting around quite a loss, so you know, in various tournaments, bad weather or various other reasons. So the opening ceremony was always something which I opted in for. I mean, it's it's a real highlight. There's a huge buzz amongst the village, and especially when the whole Australian team converge in their outfits and consense excitement and everyone's scrubbing photos with each other when the flag bearers were announced, it's a huge you know, again, it's what you watch on TV and it's genuinely you know, you feel like incredibly proud as an Australia in that as an Australian in that moment when you're about to walk into a stadium, you know, the piercing screens and whistles, it's you know, the roar of the crowd just phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Were you aware of the response to your bronze medal achievement back home in Australia.
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 3: And I say that because after the Olympics, I headed straight to New Haven, so I was, you know, barely had time to blink. I sort of, I think only had a day or two and I was on a flight and you know, off to the States. It was heavy preparation for the US Open so that, you know, I was really immediate in my mind. So it was sort of difficult to really catch yourself enjoy it too much. But I don't think I really realized perhaps the momentum at home. Maybe now I recognize the significance being the only singles medalists now, you know, in history, and I'm really proud of that, you know. To me, it really solidified in my mind that you know, I was up there with the best of them, you know, the handful of the best of them. So when you when you genuinely feel that it gave me a different outlook for the US Open for the remainder of the year leading into the Australian summer, you know it did, and I want to I think I'd won almost the most amount of matches on tour that year in two thousand and four or close to so it really helped almost provide an extra layer of armor for me for the Australian Summer. I remember arriving ready for the leading events and the AO feely in a pretty bulletproof I'd played so many matches of won a heap. The bronze medal sort of, yeah, propelled me forward in a sense that it gave me an I think it gave me a differentpreciation for the level that I was at as well, and a really different level of confidence being a medalist at the Olympics. Yet you know, it helped propel me forward to that feeling of that I could win the Australian app And that's the only Australian Open I really felt. It didn't feel it in any of the other ones ever.
Speaker 1: You kind of alluded to it before, but tennis players get us this all the time about where Olympic success sits compared to Grand Slams, because it is that kind of like, you know, the pinnacle of the sport. Some people might say the Australian Open or whatever like that, but it sounds like for you, the Olympics is right up there, if not the best for you. Like if you could choose a gold medal or a Grand Slam singles title, what did you pick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I wish I won a Grand Slam in single so then I could really tell you where where it's sat. But the bronze for me is I mean, in fairness, lots of you know that there's not many one time Grand Slam winners. Most of the time they're multiple Grand Slam winns. And I'm pretty sure if you asked those players where that rate their gold medal for those that have won a number of them. You know, God sam s get old. I'm bless Europe, you know, Serena or Novak at this point in time, or perhaps our caras down the track. The gold medal, I can imagine is always going to have a really special place, probably front and center in their trophy cabinets at home. But for me, it was bronze was like gold. It felt that it felt that I achieved everything in my life and tennis, and it really, it really really did. Winning the bronze medal it felt like gold. It could have been silver, could have been gold, could have been bronze, but I was absolutely over the moon. But I think, I think it has a really special place for a lot of athletes because of tennis being that individual sport. But there are so many individuals who are so passionate about their country, is about playing for their flag. So I think some that's a little bit lost and diminished because of the fact that tennis players had so many platforms throughout the year, which sadly other sports don't have. So I think publicly and in the press sometimes you know, the worth of a medal to a tennis player isn't always probably acknowledged as much as it should or give them the same attention. So you know, happily that changes changes you know, people's perspective as well on it.
Speaker 1: We'll see, I guess in Paris what the reactions are in the next week.
Speaker 2: I do. Yeah, Alicia, we've heard you say that you weren't quite sure where your actual medal.
Speaker 3: Was yes, yeah, and I still don't know where. I said to Mum, I was going to do this interview and that, oh god, I said, in the case, I still can't find it. So I look. When I returned poked from Athens, from that whole trip in America, I remember showing my medal to a lot of people friends, you know. I've been in biuted to a few schools to you know, chat to various year levels about the Olympics about my metal. Took it into show them, so I don't necessarily think I've left it anywhere. I remember always keeping it in a and two pairs of really bright pink bed sock, and I think I remember going back to it was just a really busy time. But a year or two later going back to base to keep it in my soft draw, and I thought that wasn't a very good place. I think I remember going to Mum and Dad's house and popping it up in their attic. I have had a little search. I've searched, I've moved homes a number of times. I've searched everything from top to toe, and I think I have to give Mum and Dad's house in Adelaide another going over because I just cannot find it. I cannot actually remember where its final resting spot is, and it's a bit embarrassing. And now my kids are at the age i'm sure they'd love to see it, So I probably need to start looking at if I cannot find it, whether I can get a replica produced. But it's so sad, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, it does sound like one of those things that you'll find it one day in it'll be such a great moment.
Speaker 3: It probably feel better than winning the actual medal, to be honest, that's probably going to be the highlight of my life, never mind winning it on the tennis court. Well.
Speaker 2: Alicia always thrived in a team environment, so it's not surprising to hear that she describes the Olympics as the pinnacle of her career and something that she'll remember for life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And it was kind of at that time that bronze medal also the pinnacle of kind of her tennis performance because that was the start of an incredible six month run that extended into January of the next year, and she had her best Grand Slam result by making the quarterfinals with the Australian Open. And yes, it certainly kind of started without Athens run and you can actually look back at that. We've released the full match of Alisha Mullock's fourth round win over Venus Williams and spoke to her about that career best Grand Slam run and yet another great opportunity to hear from Alisha talking about such a great part of her career.
Speaker 2: We'll be back next Monday with another episode of the sit Down, and in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 1: And details for how to contact us as always, they're in the show notes. Please subscribe, rate and review. We'll see you next week, Vive
Speaker 2: See you, Matt,