Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell's show. That's the How's your day? Yesterday?
Speaker 3: An interesting day. Daughter's getting older, reaching teenage years, pre teenage years. Anyway, they had house.
Speaker 2: She's getting on to be like thirty or something.
Speaker 3: Feels like attitude. It's like a thirty year old.
Speaker 2: Can I say, how are you finding this transition?
Speaker 3: It's very difficult. The whole house has to It's evolving, isn't it, and we have to move with it. And it's some it is. It's very hard.
Speaker 4: And it's like it because that kid that you've known for years, right, they're not one day, They're just not there anymore.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's exactly Jack. It's like someone Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, it has popped up with some was with some washing that i'd folded and not to the door, and she was like.
Speaker 2: Cunning and I went in there and she went, not.
Speaker 1: Today, you feel like stuff you're delivering clean washing.
Speaker 4: Clean washing, folded, the washed, dried and folded and apparently not today like some sort of elt and John diva grazing hell. And then I went like this okay, took my wife then goes to me get back up.
Speaker 5: Then I'm like caught between.
Speaker 4: Two very strong women and I'm just still week cast man. I was like actually hovering in a center point on the stairs. I don't know where I am on this sliding scale of.
Speaker 6: You were still there at eight when came to bed. It's terrifying.
Speaker 3: Teens are terrifying. She scares me.
Speaker 6: Gordy's never going to be like that. He's too sweet, sweet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this Gordy.
Speaker 2: You wait, you get Gordy three point zero or something.
Speaker 4: They have upgrades and downgrades and emo grades.
Speaker 3: They're like a fluffy little kitten and then all and they're like meducer. But they had house carnivals athletics carnival at school yesterday for the middle school.
Speaker 6: So she went to that.
Speaker 4: Great tell me to do it as well once it gets a bit cold, and that the teachers know what they're doing to get the energy out of them.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so her house house color is burgundy, and as the parents could go and watch them, and I thought that's fun because it's not often you can actually go to school and watch them these days.
Speaker 2: Tell me you're filming it all?
Speaker 6: Of course, what's you're competing in?
Speaker 3: Nothing? So what do you feels her mates, No, that's a bit creepy.
Speaker 2: That your mum's look.
Speaker 3: She she didn't want to compete, but she was like a head of the cheers squad. And we said, you know what, that's fine, you're having a go. She's not fond of you know.
Speaker 2: I get it. I'm the guy.
Speaker 5: Yes, that back to I would not today.
Speaker 3: Whatever you say up some trainers and.
Speaker 2: Cheers. That was the thing.
Speaker 3: Now, anyway, that's not the project. So the house colour's burgundy. And as I'm approaching, I noticed this something on her face. Anyway, I get there and I notice she's wearing makeup.
Speaker 2: We should probably going out in the afternoon.
Speaker 4: Didn't have anything to do because other suckers are doing the actual competing.
Speaker 6: Came up and I said to.
Speaker 3: Her, are you wearing eyeliner? And she's like, Mom, shut up, We're all wearing it. So apparently they had like burgundy eyeliner, and then they had like the house name up their arms.
Speaker 6: That's not like the spirit of the day, Patsy vision.
Speaker 2: This is woken us. They're wearing eyeliner. Now, Chris, this is the beginning of.
Speaker 6: I'll just have to crop you out of all the photos.
Speaker 4: All your friends competing The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell's Show.
Speaker 4: Be honest, if we'd have all known back in the day that you could opt out of doing house sports.
Speaker 2: There was so much misery, there was no doubt, so much misery.
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure if I'm on the radio twenty five years later looking for some peace from those days.
Speaker 2: Some scars never heal.
Speaker 3: That high jump terrified.
Speaker 2: Me, just most of it.
Speaker 6: Pats, what sport did you pick? We had to do.
Speaker 7: You had to at least one sport on f stay, so we did. I did, like a triple jump or something that is hardly anyone competed in.
Speaker 4: Triple jump is also really hard and it makes no sense. It doesn't replicate like running one hundred meters fifteen hundred meters right, even shot put in traveling, I could understand that You're like.
Speaker 2: What what is them?
Speaker 4: A hob skip me and then a jump, not that this is natural? Is this much together a couple of rando events or to create that the one that I used to because in the UK when I grew up in the eighties, there's sort of UK sort of Olympic strategy was like, let's not worry about the swimming events, right, we.
Speaker 2: Haven't got outdoor polls.
Speaker 4: We're going to smash athletics because here rain slight summer but mainly rain and mud. We can make the kids go out running. So all it was was like endless outdoor athletics of like one hundred meters, two hundred meters, four hundred meters, and then the dreaded sort of fun. We have to do a five k cross country run where I remember on the day I accidentally forgot my trainers. So he went, okay, Google lost property and all I could find was football wich was studs actual and not like those plastic molded ones out metallic studs and run five k.
Speaker 2: The first k was going through these housing estates, so it's concrete. So we have.
Speaker 4: As my shins are being broken way, you got some psycho actual pe teacher who was occasionally kicking me physically in the ass.
Speaker 5: PTSD. I actually think he was actually.
Speaker 2: In the war.
Speaker 5: Plus he had a pipe.
Speaker 7: Consider yourself lucky though, that you didn't have the swimming carnival that was at to day was one thing, but that swimming carnival once a year and again they had they said you have to do at least one event. So every year I chose backstroke because it was the least likely that.
Speaker 2: They made you do backstroke.
Speaker 6: You had to pick it.
Speaker 7: Always one swim strokes so hard, well better than butterfly or that breast stroke or something that you've literally never done before.
Speaker 4: And the boys that were very good at that monsters work just like physical freaks. Just like that's like enormous, like Adam's apples and everything.
Speaker 5: They were like like five years older than you.
Speaker 2: That's a man. That's why it's a man.
Speaker 6: That's why I'm so unfair.
Speaker 7: I couldn't swim and I didn't want to be in my board sorts in front of the girls.
Speaker 5: It's so shaming, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Rio, you're actually quieted sports person? But was it also a health you school?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm just saying, like school seeming kindib is so triggering because I remember, like we would have to we didn't get to wear board shots.
Speaker 6: We had to wear like speedos.
Speaker 2: Wo.
Speaker 4: Let's just say right, boys develop at different being trying to get changed in that room and all the comments because that's so boys are l like, wow, Yes, I understand why some men break later on in life. It's because of what happened in there and the things that you said in your part of feel so much shame.
Speaker 2: It's shocking.
Speaker 7: I didn't hit puberty into like an ungodly seventeen very very light, very like serious late.
Speaker 6: Seriously, how did you like your voice?
Speaker 2: When did your voice mentioned the today or tomorrow? Seventeen? Bloody hell?
Speaker 7: Would have it would have been before me. And you know what, in the sex head classes which they had when we were growing up, they did a lot of like if your growing hair under your arms, that's okay. They made they prepared you for if you're going.
Speaker 2: Through puberty early changes are coming.
Speaker 7: It's okay, it's okay. They didn't do anything for the boys who were very late Blue it might take a few more years.
Speaker 6: But everybody else has got hair under their arms. You might not.
Speaker 2: So do you go to annoy all boys school?
Speaker 1: I went to an all boys school, and I remember as well having hair.
Speaker 2: Do you think that was easier or harder?
Speaker 1: It was harder, definitely for me. I was a late bloomer like Jack, and I remember just like standing up on the blocks, this scrawny little like kid clearly hadn't developed.
Speaker 2: That's anxious now, like you've got to go and do it.
Speaker 6: Swimming Carnival still make me shiver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember when the girls, My daughters are very very good swimming, so they used to compete and win and going there like pts, like thinking.
Speaker 5: That I'm gonna have to go and get changed in standing on those that day.
Speaker 6: Daughter Race
Speaker 2: Christian Connell's Show podcast