Speaker 1: Life on Cut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on gaddigal Land. Hey guys know no, Hi guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life on Cut.
Speaker 3: I'm Brittany, I'm Laura. Why are you saying no and' yelling at me across the room?
Speaker 2: No, we were just having a laugh about what we were going to call our podcast five years ago. So okay, when we very first started a Life on Cut, we had brainstorming sessions.
Speaker 3: We all had ideas.
Speaker 2: My idea gets brought up as being poo pooed all the time because it's the only one I remember.
Speaker 1: I wish I remembered what I put forward more, but the only one. We had all these when we say brainstorming, we had a coffee. We had a piece of paper and pencil. It was a pencil and anything was a pan. Heay, that's a brainstorm session. Why do we have a pencil?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But we wrote it down on a notepad, lined on a lined notepad, and one of my podcasts. Name ideas was Coming Up Roses, which, at the time, coming off the back of The Bachelor, I thought it was brilliant. And five and a half years on we can all agree that it wasn't brilliant.
Speaker 3: But at the time it felt very good, felt good in my bones. It didn't.
Speaker 1: It never felt good, never landed for it. But then I suggested a lot of names that you didn't like as well. I just don't remember them. The only one that stuck with me is Coming Up Roses, because I was like, I think we should steer away from just being like the The Bachelor, and that's.
Speaker 3: All we are. Imagine now the Bachelor's not even around. Yeah, it would be canned. The Brittany Hockley Show didn't really do it for me either. Oh that was like that was did you just turn into my teenage brother? Yes I did.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome friend Laura here on the Brittany Hockey Show on Coming Up Roses anyway, good to be.
Speaker 3: How was your weekend?
Speaker 1: Laura and I both went away this weekend for a long weekend. Incidentally, I booked it first. I just want to say that.
Speaker 2: Actually you didn't I just didn't tell you about it. Our fortieth birth because we went away from Matt's brother's fortieth birthday. It's been booked for like four months. I just don't know the weekend and don't Nothing in my life is like things happen around me and then I just show up wherever I'm told to be.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so Matt had already planned that entire trip.
Speaker 2: But anyway, you did post a photo yesterday from Zulu and Zephyr store and I was like, Brittany, you're four hundred meters away from me.
Speaker 3: I also already knew that too. I walked in there and they're like, Laura came in here yesterday. Oh yeah, like and I was like, of course she did. I was like, I see that bitch enough. I don't need to see her on my holiday. No, So Laura and I both went to Byra and for separate events.
Speaker 1: My event was I'm in Love and that was it, and Laura's event was a birthday party, but we chose not to see.
Speaker 2: To be fair, though, I did say this because I was talking to my mother in law about it and she was like, oh, is Brittany going to come visit? And I was like, Brittany's here on a romantic holiday with her boyfriend who she hasn't seen for five months. Event she doesn't want to see me, and probably more than that, she doesn't want to see my children. She doesn't want to come and hang out at the kids pool at Elements with my entire family. There's no part of me, not one single iodor of my entire body, that's offended by this. I'm okay with it, and I understand genuinely. It wasn't just that.
Speaker 1: If we had more time there, for sure, but we didn't actually stay in Byron. We stayed up the coast and we went to buying just for the day. I'm just trying to show Ben parts of Australia, so.
Speaker 3: Like, with very little amount of time. It is like we're in the army, like I have a regime.
Speaker 1: He wakes up in the morning and I'm like, this is what we're doing today, this is what we're doing, this is where we're going. Because I'm trying to fit all this stuff in. If it was up to me, we're just lay in bed, probably have sex all day, but he wouldn't see any of Australia in that.
Speaker 3: He's like, Australia is amazing. Yeah, it's so warm. I love it here. It's very moist. It's so warm, and she's like a rainforest.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Keisha, Kisha sitting there already disappointed in us. Things have spired out of control and we're only at eight o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: He's funny.
Speaker 1: Now, we've spoken about this on the podcast before many times. The fact that you know, I've been with Ben a bit over a year and a half now, but we're always perpetually in the honeymoon stage because we spend so many months apart. Then we spend a couple months together and it's amazing, but you're not really like in that deep living together, constantly finding out about each other. But every time we spend these chunks of time together, we find out something else.
Speaker 5: And it's not that it's bad, but I have figured out it's not that it's good. It's great, okay, But this one thing is the only thing I've realized now that I can look back over the nearly two years of time. It's the one thing we always fight about and I know we'll never ever be able to do it without fighting. And that is any form of physical activity like any sport, golf, mini golf, tennis, badminton, Crisby.
Speaker 3: It's the competition element.
Speaker 1: So we go to play anything and I just want to go and play for fun, Like it's mainly him.
Speaker 3: I just want to play for fun.
Speaker 1: But immediately we're like ripping each other's jugular out because he's so competitive and he takes everything so seriously that we were playing, we had a full on brawl, not a brawl, but like an argument on the tennis court at this place. I know there were people listening.
Speaker 3: And I was like, we are leaving. It was like a child. I was like, get your racket, we are leaving. What are you fighting about?
Speaker 1: Because he was angry I wasn't good enough on the tennant. He was like, you know, like he's like, Bri, you've played better before.
Speaker 3: I know you can do it. I'm like, well, obviously I can't do it right now. The balls are not going in. The balls are not going in.
Speaker 2: Have you ever questioned, like what, because like, I'm all for competition, and I'm all for, like, especially as a parent, like making sure that your kids have drive and like, you know, having that competitive edge. I've got nothing against that, but you have you ever wondered what kind of parent he will be in terms of like we.
Speaker 3: Like drop and get me triny. That wasn't good enough to me. I actually think I will be that parent. Yeah. Yeah, but that's how I was brought up.
Speaker 1: My parents were very much like encouraging of us in our sporting Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like they were like, if you're not foost hue, let no drop an elbow.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't like that, but like, I just think, Okay, that's the one thing that I'm gonna have to accept that I love. But I'm either going to have to bite the bullet or we're gonna have a divorce. Like I don't know which way it's gonna go.
Speaker 2: I also think you should be expecting that when you choose to be in a relationship with someone who's a professional.
Speaker 3: Sports player football not tennis.
Speaker 2: You're true, but it kind of like doesn't it just like bleed out into every sport.
Speaker 3: It's the nature of it, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Last year's fight was over table tennis in Hamilton Island.
Speaker 2: That's what we had to think about it. When you say fight, like to what degree.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm proper surarly, I'm like, you've ruined my day.
Speaker 2: You're also grudgy, that's The thing that's the problem is like it would happen and then you would hold onto it for the rest of the day.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. It's actually funny.
Speaker 1: We walk away and I'm pissed off, and I'll turn around and I'm like i'd be like, I'm sorry I said that, and still way and he's like, well, I'm sorry I did it too, and then we walk.
Speaker 3: Away holding hands like that's how we fight.
Speaker 1: It's cute, but we know that we're disappointed in each other's behavior, but we hold hands and like walk off and make up.
Speaker 3: But it's just that's just one of those things I've accepted. So that was what we thought about the weekend tennis.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, speaking of us not seeing each other on the weekend, Matt and I made a stupid real whilst we were in Byron because his podcast so like his co host on Two Doting Dads, Ash Wiggs, rocked up. Now, you might look at that video and think I was in on the joke.
Speaker 3: But I want it known.
Speaker 2: I had no idea that Ash was coming on our family holiday. So it was day one and we were going to see our really good friends Josh and Ash, who have a little baby sage.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen them in ages.
Speaker 2: And I said to Matt, Oh, what time is Ash getting to dinner? And Matt looks at me really confused, and he goes, what do you mean? And I was like, Ash, what time's Ash coming to dinner? I'm speaking about Ash, my our friend, a female Ash who we're going to dinner with that evening.
Speaker 3: And he looks me and he.
Speaker 2: Goes, oh, did you know? And I was like sorry, what do I know what? And he's like, yeah, you know about Ash? And I was like, yeah, are we talking about the same thing because we're going for dinner with Ash tonight and he goes, oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you. So Ash might he might be in town and I was like, he might be in town or he is in town. So there was because like stoneA Wood is one of their sponsors for their podcast, right, and there was a Stonewood Festival happening, and Matt had asked me if I wanted to go and just pop into the Stonewood Festival and I was like, yeah, sure, I'll go and check it out, like no problems. Unbeknownst to me that during him organizing this with me and as getting a babysitters that we could go and do this thing. He also had invited Ash, and Ash was flying up and I was like, oh, okay, cool, so you got You're actually going to the Stonewood Festival with Ash, not with me. That's fine, But I was like where, Like where's Ash staying? And he was like, oh, yeah, he's just staying the night at Elements And I was like, you're.
Speaker 3: Keep it in the second room that we hid in our village. He's on the pull out trundle bed. Anyway, it was very funny.
Speaker 1: I was just kind of like, just don't go into the closet tonight. There's Ashes there wearing my robe and my slippers.
Speaker 3: Why are you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Why didn't you just tell me? It was so I genuinely don't care. It was just weirder that he decided to kind of emit all the details anyway.
Speaker 1: Thinking do you think you would have cared? Not against Ash, but do you think if he gave you enough notice? Because obviously he's made a decision.
Speaker 3: Matt has waited up.
Speaker 1: Madd has been like I can either let her know and she's in on it, or I can pretend I forgot. So obviously his his trainer thought, He's like, this is the best case scenario is I pretend I forgot and then it's too late and he's already there.
Speaker 2: But also when he said that, I was like, do you, like, why would you pretend? Like do you think I'm a psycho? Like how do you think I'm going to react? Are you like trying to minimize and manage? Like a yeah, like why is your reason for keeping this seat? Anyway, I didn't go psycho and actually was fine. I got to the Stonewood Festival and I walked talked about.
Speaker 3: Last week when you're like, fine, cool, I am the cool girl. Yeah, you can hang out with your friends and our family holiday. It's fine. I'll just be over here. So we went to the Stonewood Festival. I walked in.
Speaker 2: It's me a long time since I've been to a festival. Guys like love Stonewood, great beer. Do I love loud outdoor music when it's raining and it's it was fully raining and it was a festival and it's not like, yeah, no it is. There's two different areas. There's an area with laser beams and people had their kids there and shit sharks sharks with laser bees, and then there was another area which was like a big outdoor on like on stage band.
Speaker 3: I'm a loser. I love that discovery, that moment.
Speaker 2: So we were there for a while and then I think I was there for maybe half an hour, and I looked around at this one point and it was so fucking loud. It was so loud, and I have, look, my hearing is not great, and so I find I find loud noises hurt my ears.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys.
Speaker 2: So I was there for about half an hour and then I just looked at me and I was like, you do this, you have this moment with ash. I'm going to go back and put the kids to bed. But you know this was BET's planned. No, he was to be fair, we'd organize a babysitter. We were all supposed to stay out together. And then I was like, do you know what, the babysitter can go home. I would prefer to be with my children putting them to bed. You go to be here, Yeah, I'll go home. I'm too old with this shit. I literally looked around. I was like, I'm too old for this, even for the on stage band, for the on stage loud band. Hurt my ears. Anyway, that was it. Look, we have a great episode for you today. Now, the thing that has been happening in the world that everyone is talking about, but maybe not everyone knows the details around, like the specific details is Donald Trump and everything that's been happening with his criminal court case over the weekend. And I spent the whole weekend googling and reading up on this because I found it absolutely fascinating, and there was part of me.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you know the story.
Speaker 1: Lauren's at the festival with the on stage band googling Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: So shows the point of life. I found it so fucking fascinating. So I was like, how is this adult star She's single handedly brought down Trump? And to think about the fact that there has been so many cases that have been brought against him, but this is the first one that actually has been prosecuted. And now this all happened over the weekend, and we wanted to get someone on to talk through the intricacies of this. So we have Charles Croucher joining us in the podcast in a little bit. He's a journalist and also a US political expert. But before we get into that conversation, britt there was something I wanted to share with you which.
Speaker 3: Is less high brow.
Speaker 2: Actually it's very low bra It's so low brow that it has to do with uh, the anus.
Speaker 3: That's how far down in the low of the brow is. It's very mid browed. Would you say it's not about feet? Is it? It's about buttons? Okay? So there is a TikToker. Now her name. I thought it was going to be about your buttle. Her name is Baby Charlotte one at Baby Charlotte one. She's a TikToker.
Speaker 2: She is also an only fans star, and she shares a lot of things very openly on her TikTok.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I came across this on the weekend and when I was also googling Donald Trump funnily enough, and I thought this was so funny. First of all, I found this so funny, but it was a PSA. And it's a PSA around bullet vibrators and the orifices that you should and shouldn't use them in.
Speaker 3: Have a listen to this.
Speaker 4: This is a psa. Do not put them little bullet vibes anywhere in the back region. Because I am currently about to head off to A and E because one is stuck in mine and I'm sure you can hear that. Mm hmm. This is going to be very embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So she's sitting in her car, she's doing a like a live PSA is She's about to go into emergency because she has a bullet vibrator stuck in her asshole and it's still vibrating. You can you can audibly hear it in the background of the video.
Speaker 3: She's also she's visibly distressed.
Speaker 2: The poor girl is crying like she of course she is a bullet vibrator in.
Speaker 1: Her but this is what people Okay, And I'm not overly shocked because I spent over a decade imaging like X raying people with things up their butttholes.
Speaker 3: Right, This was a huge part of my job as adio.
Speaker 2: How many times a day do you reckon you'd have or times a week do you think you'd have people with foreign objects up their backsides?
Speaker 1: It changed markedly depending on where I was. When I was working more regional, not as often. Yeah, when I was in the city hospitals all the time, it was standard like query on the sheet, it has a question mark and then it just says fo in anal in anus, so query foreign object anus.
Speaker 3: That was how we would get a referral.
Speaker 1: And you just know that someone else has slipped on something in the shower, because that's what everyone says. But I cannot tell you. It's such a common misconception. People don't understand what the butt hoole is. People don't understand the anus. The anus is a vacuum.
Speaker 2: That's what it works at Like, don't tell me that you don't learn things here at laugh on cars exactly.
Speaker 3: It acts like a vacuum. So like obviously when you do a poop, you're pushing out Wait, do you want that noise? If that's sound effect? Again, that's it.
Speaker 1: So when you put something up, there's a certain I don't know what the terminology is like, but there's a certain level. If you had like a pencil, right, there's a certain point that it's going up and up and up, and your butts doesn't really want to take it, and then it flips and it sucks it up and that's it, and it's a point of no return. And quite often it's too far, it's gone, it's deep, and it can travel all the way up your bow. I have seen a rexona doodor and can up near the diaphragm, which that's what it looks like, a whole can of rexona. Look, if it's not flat, don't put it in there, I think is the lesson for everyone.
Speaker 3: That's not the lesson, Yes it is. If you're gonna stick things in.
Speaker 2: Your ass that are vibrators, make sure the base of it is flared. But I wanted to read this to you because I mean, that was enough of a story. I was like, funny, ha ha ha, but also decent PSA, like, let's not go sticking things in our Assholes aren't supposed to go in there.
Speaker 3: But this article came up on Pedestrian right.
Speaker 2: Pedestrian wrote they did it like a piece on this But I just wanted to read you the very first line of this article. The publisher is Michael di Laio. Sometimes all a girl wants to do is go full feral Kirby mode and absorb.
Speaker 3: Everything and anyone into their hole.
Speaker 2: Imagine typing that out as the first light, being like, I'm a journalist and that's the first line you put together to describe this story.
Speaker 3: Also not true. We don't walk around be like, what can I suck up there today.
Speaker 2: It's also so weird that this dude who's a journalist has put this together and written that.
Speaker 3: I was like, is this you living out your Fantasy's?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm all for a chicks who want to like have anal play, but women are not walking around wanting to.
Speaker 3: Consume the universe in their asshole.
Speaker 1: If we're vacuuming up our house naked with a but hoole, do you know.
Speaker 3: What I've seen on butts before? I would love to know the list. I have seen a toilet brush cleaner.
Speaker 1: A toilet brush, the prickly end, the prickly end, the prickly end, like was a Christmas tree doing all its prickly tickly things on the inside of the bout.
Speaker 3: How did they get it in there?
Speaker 1: The brush itself has the bristles, so I guess when you pushed it up it would crush down. And then I guess they thought it would open up on the inside and the head came off the thing so it got stuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've seen toy cars, lots of little things toy cars. I've seen batteries very dangerous. You can get lithium poisoning. Do not put a battery inside of you in any capacity.
Speaker 3: I know a guy who's stuck a toy car in his backside. Toy cars. You will not believe how common the toy car is. I don't know why. It must be the wheels.
Speaker 1: It's an unusual fetish or is it like a male fetish because they have a car crush, Like you know, our men love cars.
Speaker 3: So they want to consume it with their asshole.
Speaker 1: Because no, what I'll tell you is now that i've I've never thought about it in this much depth.
Speaker 3: Every toy car. I've never seen a woman with a toy car upper butt. It's men. It's always a man at the.
Speaker 2: Time, because obviously you're not working as a ready erefer anymore and you're not allowed to talk about those things when it happens. But now in retrospect you can be like, hey, this once upon a time there was a guy with a car is But no.
Speaker 1: You actually can talk about it, but you can't have any defining features, so like you can't say where it was, who it was, when it was.
Speaker 3: But I can easily say things I've seen up people Like.
Speaker 1: There's this whole forums online that people submit the craziest things they've found in people's ashole.
Speaker 3: One hundred cent. There was one on our forum that was a kangaroo's tail. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people are pretty crazy, you know, And we're not here to yuck anyone's yum, but I am.
Speaker 3: If you're putting a kangaroo tail up, I'm yucking you yum.
Speaker 1: It's an animal that you're killed and you've chopped its tail off and you're masturbating up your butt with it, I'm yucking you yum in that sense.
Speaker 3: Any other way you want to masturbate, go crazy.
Speaker 1: But if it's an animal, do you know I do listen back to this in this podcast, and I think sometimes we try so hard to be PC that sometimes things are said and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, actually, I'm not okay with that.
Speaker 2: But I was trying so hard to be okay because I didn't want to offend anyone anything. Guys, guys do whatever you want, and I'm like, fuck that, and then I realized I'm like, actually, no, I'm not okay with it. Actually, funnily about that, when we went out to dinner on the weekend, we met this really lovely girl and she is a lifer listens to the podcast, and she was like, hey, I just wanted to.
Speaker 3: Check something with you.
Speaker 2: You had Stephen ka Ayemoss on the podcast recently and he told actually unfiltered story about how he had a dirty kink and he sat on a guy's face and hadn't washed his backside anyway, go on back and listen to the podcast episode if you want to. She was like, I just want to point out you and Britt seemed oddly fine with the whole story, and I want to let you know how uncomfortable it made me that you guys were okay with it.
Speaker 3: Why wasn't okay with it? I was like, no, you can't ever do that.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we came across to her especially that we were fine with it, and that's kind of what made me realize, actually, maybe we might need to be a little bit more critical of these things from time to time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's start now, no animals in your buta hole. On that note, let's get into the really serious political.
Speaker 3: Er, speaking of ours wholes.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Donald Trump. That's a great segue.
Speaker 2: We were thinking about how we were going to segue this because it's unusual for us, but you are on that segway, Laura. No, it's unusual for us to talk about politics American politics. It's also unusual for us to have an interview on a Tuesday episode, But we wanted to get someone who was very well versed in American politics who could explain the nuance as to why this is such a pivotal case. But also, I think if you were looking at this from the outset, it's very easy to go, oh, it's one hundred and thirty thousand dollars, which I know is a lot of money, but in terms of American politics, I'm sure is absolute piss in the ocean. Why was this so impactful? And what was the role that Stormy Daniels played? And is it the affair itself that's problematic, is it the hush money or is it how that hush money was paid out to Stormy Daniels that was the criminal part of this case.
Speaker 3: I think this is.
Speaker 1: Why we wanted to talk about this case, because there are a lot of people that are more interested in American politics right now than ever have been before. And I mean that's due with the multijd things, But a big part of this is a are we really going to potentially have an American president that could be in jail like he has been convicted. Are we really going to have a leader of the free world that is in prison? And b the fact that this whole case surrounds Stormy Daniels, who was an adult star. It's garnered so much more attention than ever before. It's literally the stuff that reality TV is made out of. We are watching history unfold and that's not me being dramatic. This is going to go down. This is unprecedented. It has never ever happened before, and it's really worrying that there's a part of me that thinks I don't want it to be. It's a part of me thinks that Donald Trump is still going to win this campaign.
Speaker 3: He will become president again.
Speaker 1: But I think the interesting part of this case is, and a lot of people probably don't understand from the outset. You've seen the headlines and you're thinking, what's the big deal about paying somebody hush money? But this criminal charge isn't about Donald Trump paying hush money. That's not illegal at all. It's about him falsifying the documents of that hush money. So I think it's really important we get that clear at the start. The second part of this that is very Bothersome is the way in which Trump's defense attorney tried to undermine and take down Stormy Daniels purely by slut shaming her. He tried to say that she was not a reliable witness because she was a very successful adult film star. Part of me is like to be in twenty twenty four and think that that is an accurate defense to say you like sex publicly, so we can't trust anything you say, And I'm like.
Speaker 3: How are we doing that in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: But then there's another part of me that says, well, it's twenty twenty four and we're probably going to vote in a president that's in prison.
Speaker 3: It's actually insane.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also this has come at a very interesting time because obviously this all pertains to stuff that happened in twenty sixteen, but now people are saying that the timing is actually like very politically timed to try and undermine his new presidential campaign, and that it's a conspiracy theory from Biden. So we wanted to speak to Charles Croutcher, who is an expert on this, to get all of the facts. But before we do interim, I just wanted to share something that I think is beautifully enlightening. You guys would all remember the very famous quote from Donald Trump where he said you can.
Speaker 3: Do anything grab him by the pussy.
Speaker 2: The quote and slogan that's been going around surrounding this campaign is the pussy Grabs back, and we thought that this was a beautiful way to segue into the chat with Charles.
Speaker 3: A song by Kim Bokbinder.
Speaker 7: Bussy Grabs, Bad, Bussy Grabs Bad, Busy Grabs bats, Busy grabspad pussy.
Speaker 1: Grabs that Charles Croucher, journalist and US political expert, is joining us on the podcast Today Live from the US to help us get through all of this Trump drama. Because the world has gone crazy, not a lot of people completely understand what is happening. So Charles, thanks for joining us this morning.
Speaker 2: Any times I think I would love to start with, like, why is it that this is now so heavily in the media. Why is this all happening when what I guess is this circulating around goes back to twenty sixteen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's an old case, right, but this has taken so long for the prosecution to bring this case and it's coming an interesting time with Donald Trump obviously running for president once again. So this is a case that dates back to twenty six stands you said, effectively, the case itself is pretty minor in terms of the matter of fari that stands some of the accusations of business fraud. And while there are thirty four charges, a lot of those charges are based off different check stubs, so there are felony accounts in there. That's what takes us to the new level. And the real reason that there's so much interest in this case, but from being Donald Trump.
Speaker 9: Is the question is what does it do to the election.
Speaker 8: That's coming out and what does it mean if America is going to vote in a convicted felon, which is a possibility and you know, to believe the book makes it is a likelihood in November.
Speaker 9: So that's the sprite.
Speaker 2: When you say it's relatively minor. Just for anyone who doesn't necessarily understand what it is that he's been convicted for, can you run us through what that looks like.
Speaker 8: The accusation and in fact, what has been found guilty of is paying money through his lawyer to Stormy Daniels, who is a film star, and effectively, as hush money during the twenty sixteen election. She accuses Donald Trump that they had an affair one night stand. Really he denies that's ever happened. But the issue was that the twenty sixteen election, Trump had trouble with him and voters who was runn against Scillaris Clinton. Clearly he thought this case would be damaging to him and through his political prospects, so he paid the money to Stormy Daniels as well as a non disclosure agreement, and that was enough to effectively silence her throughout the campaign with the help of brothers. Now, usually if he did that just out of his own money, that would be considered a campaign contribution, so they have to write it down and like file the check stuff.
Speaker 9: Now any journal.
Speaker 8: Looks through Donald Trump's distilosures and sees that he's paid money to Stormy Daniels, he's going to ask why. So instead to get around this and use his lawyer, Michael Cullen to do it and sort of use through a business transaction. And that's where the falsifying documents charges have come in as.
Speaker 9: Well, So it's convoluted.
Speaker 8: Dodald Trump's facing a couple of charges here. This is probably the weakest of the charges, but he's now sound guilty, So this is the one that will stick for now.
Speaker 1: So speaking about the fact that it was back in twenty sixteen, it is an old case.
Speaker 3: It has been brought up now.
Speaker 1: Obviously it's getting even more media attention because of the heat surrounding Stormy Daniels. Who she is, what she has said, the slander that's gone on within the case. But who has actually brought this case now? Because we've heard Donald Trump blaming Biden, saying, you know this is his doing, He's trying to bring me down. He's corrupt. But we know it's a state level and it's not Biden. So who and why has been brought up now?
Speaker 8: Alvin Bragg is the district attorney and in New York he is a Democrat. I was elected, so this is a place where you elect your.
Speaker 9: Attorneys and your prosecutors in some of the situations. So look, there's certainly a political motive.
Speaker 8: He need gets an out of it, but he says he's just administering the law, and the jury sound with him. He found they had the case. So that's why Donald Trump is blaming Joe Biden. I think in many ways it's just throwing accusation to to a free can, right. But Harry Truman, why the old presidents used to say, if you can't.
Speaker 9: Convince people, who confuse people.
Speaker 8: So that's what this is, right, as much confuduring as you can and accuse everyone Republicans. Donald Trump's side. At the same time, it's using Joe Biden as being old and senile while also masterminding this court case and legal case against him. So there's perhaps some inconsistency, is there, But.
Speaker 1: It's actually so funny when you say that whatever suits on that day.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's hard to have those two charges at the same time. You charge and brighten with that, But don't forget that America is deeply divided, and they're divided on the line of the president. And so if Donald Trump's ten think they can just get everyone to go back to their corners by using this of being a political which, as he says, then they're going to do it because they think that will win them votes. And it's certainly gotten a lot of money over the last few days since the Verticantcent's own.
Speaker 2: In terms of it being hush money and the way in which you said that, it's been transferred to Stormy Daniels through his lawyer. Is there anything illegal about paying hush money if it had come through the right channels? Or is Kim expecting Stormy Daniels to have some sort of NDA around their nefarious affair? Is that something that is actually totally legal if it had been done through the right processes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think if she signs the contract and it is a mutually agreed contract between two consenting adults, and it's fine. It is the falsifying documents, which is why the case is being brought by the state and not by Stormy Daniels herself. She was merely a witness as part of this, and she had a couple of days of pretty tough testimony on the stand as well. So it's the state that brings the case against Donald Trump because it's a crime, rather than the person in the civil trial.
Speaker 2: So then, why, I guess, would she come forward with this? What would be her motivator to come forward and bring this information if she has signed an NDA.
Speaker 3: Technically, regardless of where that money came from, it's.
Speaker 8: Hard to assign motivation. She came forward During his term as president, she did an interview with sixty minutes over here with Anison Cooper in the US and spoke about what had happened.
Speaker 9: She said she was.
Speaker 8: Instead of a shamed by what went on, and she thought it was you know, this is a time when Don Trump was married Milanaiir, had just had the youngest son, Baron.
Speaker 9: She was upset by it all.
Speaker 8: This you know, this alleged affair dates back well before the election. It was just at that twenty sixteen campaign when the money was given and there when he became president, she said she wanted to speak out and have her say. So that's what she's done, and she's certainly done more than that. She's become a household name, particularly here in the United States, and that's brought with it a whole lot of pressure elsewhere that she's dealing with. So that seems the motivation. Look, it may be political. She certainly doesn't like to hold Trump and I think she wants to be president again, so that's beneficial as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think it comes back to the fact that she wants to be believed like, this is her story, this is what happened, and she's tried to tell the story and imagine going up against literally the most powerful person in the world at the time, and his supporters are so ferocious and fierce, and I know that the level of hate she got there, and I have heard the level of hate she's getting now, like the death threats that she's getting from his supporters.
Speaker 3: Well, apparently she wore a bulletproof vest. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his defense is trying to make her an incredible witness, which I think is I was just saying this to Laura before we started. I was like, it's such an unusual tactic to take in twenty twenty four to try to slut shame somebody into being an unreliable witness. Can you just tell us about what the angle they took and what they were saying about Stormy Daniels.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I certainly.
Speaker 8: I don't think that would have won the motor with any of the women on the jury. It would have been hard to see that. And I guess if you're defending someone in a US court, you know there's twelve jurors and you've only got to convince one that your person is innocent. So that may have been the tactic. You put enough dirt on someone and make them doubt her credibility. Is witness They did the same with Michael Cohen. He's former lawyer who has spent time in prison, so some of the work and the things he's done with Donald Trump. So you know, they were the two main witnesses that the prosecution had, along with some other journalists and people that have been involved. But if you can discredit that witness, again, it's the prosecution that have to prove that he did it. And so I think that was the tactic they took with her, certainly in America in particular, that there may have been one or two people in the jury that could have found that compelling. Clearly they didn't, because they all came back with those thirty four guilty charges and came back pretty quickly as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they basically just said because she was an adult worker and like sex that she was trust that she couldn't trust her, which is.
Speaker 8: Why while sex work is real work, right.
Speaker 2: That's the I mean, it seems crazy, but also nothing surprises me when you're talking about a country where there are a lot of very religious slash traditional views, where where many conflicting views around abortion and everything else. It wouldn't surprise me if there was one person within that jury who had those and upheld those strong sort of traditional values, and that may have worked on them. In terms of how this is going to impact his presidency campaign, is he able to still run for president? Even if he was to say, go to jail? Could he still run for president?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and jail is one of the options. Certainly, the smart people over here you speak to don't think that'll happen. They send to believe that you'll get to find a more suspended jail sentence that will be handed down just before the Republican National Convention, which is a big deal in the electoral calendar. It's about the time he was meant to be choosing his vice president and would likely announce that decision. So it's going to take a lot of the option out of that. Even if he is sent to prison, he can run. There is nothing in the constitution but from things like treason that says you got run from prison. I think Boston might have elected a mayor from prison.
Speaker 9: Once, and so he can't.
Speaker 8: And he would then have the opportunity perhaps to pardon himself on the other charges or parton himself on these charges, which again we're just like the other thing is this has never happened before. But none of this is normal, and so it's difficult when you play out what might happen because we just don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, have a listen to this. This is him immediately after he has left the court. He's literally still campaigning the second he walks out the door.
Speaker 6: This was a rigged trial by a conflicted judge who was corrupted. There's a rigged trial and disgrace. They wouldn't give us a venue change. We were at five percent or six percent in this district, in this area. The real verdict is going to be November fifth by the people, and they know what happened here, and everybody knows what happened here.
Speaker 10: We didn't do a thing wrong. I'm a very innocent man, and it's okay. I'm fighting for our country. I'm fighting for our constitution. Our whole country is being rigged right now. This was done by the Baden administration in order to wound or hurt an opponent or political opponent, and I think it's just a disgrace.
Speaker 1: So you can hear him still here. He's not even defending himself anymore. He's at the point where he knows he might not be able to travel to campaign further. So he's literally standing on the steps of the court campaigning.
Speaker 8: He's used that courtroom as a campaign stop. Yeah, and he's done it time and time again. He knows the world's media there. You know, people are watching on now. Whether it's cut through, everyone's pretty over politics over here, particularly the same people coming in again. Right.
Speaker 9: But look, the.
Speaker 8: People that's supporting, we're still supporting. They're raised money off this, They've used it as that thing, that sort of campaign platform, and now he can go out and actually do the campaigning.
Speaker 9: Whether it works or not.
Speaker 8: Joe Biden's team will be out to call Donald Trump a convicted felon every day at this election, all the way through.
Speaker 9: To piling day.
Speaker 8: And for me, I wonder in the suburbs where the really crucial voters both sides in the last election of womans for that are targeting what they call suburban women. So this is so many times young mums, sort of middle aged mums, people that are just trying to put third on the table to their kids and go about their life. I wonder if hearing Donald Trump is a convicted felon for five months will eventually eat away at some of those voters in those really crucial states up in the Midwest, and that might make it harder to go and pull the lever or punch a box or put a tick or one next to someone who you know, who's been charged with these crimes.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's the question. And you've been so heavily on the ground over there.
Speaker 1: Are the general population in America educated enough to be able to know the difference with what is happening here? And I say that in terms of will people just look at the top line clickbait one that he's a convicted felon, and two on Trump's side just saying this is a smear campaign that Biden has brought on to bring me down, which you know, one of those is untrue, and it's obviously.
Speaker 3: Biden Trump is a convicted felon.
Speaker 1: But do you think people are to surface level that they'll just take a headline and that's how they'll make their political decision?
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: The other thing over here is the media landscape is so divided, and again in many ways along the line of the president. So those people that support him are the former president. Sorry, those people that support him will be watching Newsmax. You know some of the more right wing groups on Fox News and beyond, and they will be defilming and in some case parodying Donald Trump's lines. Now, if there are people that are more democratic based or liberal, they might be watching MSNBC or listening to their podcast and hearing the same thing that they think this guy's convicted felon. So in many ways, people use news over here like a therapy animal right.
Speaker 9: They can use.
Speaker 8: It to prove that you're right and to reinforce what you've said. So that makes it difficult. The big question is, and the American system is so convoluted and ridiculous when it comes to electing a president, but it's going to come down to effectively five states, and you just wonder, I keep going back to the suburbs what they think of this in the suburbs. Chances are they probably aren't paying attention to the call day they've seen him going out of court. When they switch on after the summer break, before we get towards that November election, this will come up and it's up to the campaigns now they will have to sell that message and be convincing and remind voters. The best ad campaigns are the ones that confirm or reaffirm what voters already suspect of someone. I suspect those people that didn't vote for Donald Trump last time to suspect he's a crook. And they've now got a pretty good case, the Biden team to make that argument to the American public. It depends, you know, it's not compulsory voting. It depends who shows up on a Tuesday in November.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: Are those people that voted for Barack Obama then Donald Trump in sixteen then went back to Joe Biden?
Speaker 9: Is this enough to move them back to Donald Trump's side?
Speaker 8: You know, he's the one that has to make up ground on the last election.
Speaker 9: I think this hurts.
Speaker 3: Is he facing any other charges.
Speaker 8: He's facing another couple of charges, more compelling charges. One in relation to January six that's still being spelt out and that won't be heard before the election. There's one in Georgia where he asked the Secretary of State and the governor down there to find votes effectively so he could win that state because it was so crucial in twenty twenty, And he's on tape saying it.
Speaker 9: That one.
Speaker 8: It seems like a stand up and knockout case, if they ever get up to actually saying it, because it's been all kinds of trouble with the prosecution and perceive and perceptions of bias down there.
Speaker 9: So look, I don't think.
Speaker 8: Either of those cases will be heard before the election. And that's where we get that uncharted territory. If he's elected again, he can pardon himself from these cases.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by finding votes?
Speaker 8: But he asked to find votes, they were down by the margin was around twelve thousand. Someone will know in the comments and know what the actual margin was. But he is on tape asking him to find the amount of votes he needs to win the state. That's the whole question, right, is he asking him to falsify those votes?
Speaker 9: Is he asking him like that?
Speaker 8: Sounds like mob talk about a way of getting over the line in Georgia. Now, as it turns out, it wouldn't have mattered in the overall result. But given he is on tape and recorded by a man who is now the governor, it's a hard case to you against. Now he would just say he meant count all the legal votes and you know, purtain and go out and exercise democracy, but I don't know. Some of the language there is pretty difficult.
Speaker 9: So it'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 8: If he loses the election in November, then there is the chance that those cases will come up probably next year, and we might see don't Trump back in court again, and they have more serious charges and more serious punishments.
Speaker 1: So is there any documentation that says anywhere, because it is unprecedented that a president can continue his presidency if he's put in prison.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't think there's anything that says against unless it's for treason. And again, he would have the option because the president can pardon people, so he can pardon himself and effectively eliminate the charge.
Speaker 1: Can he actually pardon himself because I was on an impression he can't. A president can't pardon themselves.
Speaker 8: It depends on which charge and in which area. And again, this is all we played out the cooks. This hasn't happened, like we haven't had a situation.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: Richard Nixon was the closest we got to something like this happening, and he got pardoned by his successor, so that was kind of taken off the table. There's peace that have been vice presidents have got in trouble for I think Aaron.
Speaker 9: Burr one of the early ones.
Speaker 8: For anyone that knows Hamilton, he was charged with once something the treason as well, and got off the charges. So this is unprecedented, This is not normal, and so all of this is legal theory that I don't think anyone ever thought would actually have to play out in a court. But we are steering around the face that that may just happen, and that would be up to the Supreme Court really, which don't forget Donald Trump put three of those people along the court and we'll see how they go.
Speaker 3: What does it mean moving forward now for stmmy Daniels.
Speaker 9: Look, she has been through a lot. We be interesting to see what she chooses to do. I think she has come out of this. I saw it this morning.
Speaker 8: Year she's done an interview and spoke about what that time was like on the case. You know, it's been really difficult and she will no doubt have some difficult times moving forward as well, whether she tries to go down the civil case or civil charges against the president. I don't know what her legal options are without being a lawyer, So she's going to be a household name here and there are in a deeply divided country that we have to go back to. There are people that we will see her that way for auts. I mean, you look at the situation with Monica Lewinsky, who has only sort of found her voice in the last few years, and she speaks about her experience. This is very different and much more public, and I think we'll hear more from Stormy Daniels about that in her own way.
Speaker 9: I hope.
Speaker 1: And lastly, Trump's obviously going to appeal this case. What's the likelihood do you think this will get overturned?
Speaker 9: But difficult to say.
Speaker 8: Look, the jury was very quick in returning their verdict. The Trump team will argue that it's in Manhattan, it's a pretty liberal place and therefore it was hard to find a jury. They went through a lot to get the final people they did. Whether it can be overturned before the election, I don't think there's enough time now. Things move slow. It's a glacial legal system over here. So look, I think he knows now his best chance I think of avoiding this punishment and potentially further down the line, is to win the election, and that would be all of America. Effectively being the jurors when they.
Speaker 9: Have their say.
Speaker 8: He said that, you know, this is the final verdict could be given on November fifth when they vote.
Speaker 1: Over here, crazy America could have a president, you know, ruling the free world that's in prison.
Speaker 8: That remarkable is none of this is normal.
Speaker 9: That's the thing.
Speaker 8: We've become so to sensitized to it, like none of this is normal. What happened in twenty twenty isn't normal the way that all played out. So we are in some really interesting times at a time when the glow's pretty vulnerable and we need the leadership.
Speaker 9: With democracies, it's.
Speaker 8: A minority sport, and there's it seems like they're getting fewer, and this one's looking pretty fragile.
Speaker 3: We don't have a lot of good choices.
Speaker 8: I either do one thing's got to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a scary thing. And it was almost going to be Kanye West, which is worse. It's crazy, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's time for accidentally unfiltered your most embarrassing story.
Speaker 3: We've got a very low key, holesome one.
Speaker 1: I was working at an RSL club and you didn't often get a chance to go to the toilet. This one day, I was absolutely busting, so when I got the chance, I raced down the hall swung into the bathroom.
Speaker 3: I would normally check the toilet first, but things were urgent.
Speaker 1: It was one of those toilets where the door opens outwards, so I raced.
Speaker 3: In, pulled the door shut.
Speaker 1: As I backed into the toilet, ripped my pants down, and as I sat down.
Speaker 3: I felt something that didn't feel like a toilet seat. I jumped up and screamed. I looked around to see a little boy.
Speaker 1: No older than six years old, staring back up at me.
Speaker 3: He just looks shocked.
Speaker 2: You imagine taking your pants off and sitting on a kid that's far His mum was in.
Speaker 1: His toilet next door and was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry. I didn't shut the door, probably because he's only six, thinking that I must have just opened it and noticed it there. She doesn't know I sat on him with his pants on. I ripped my pants up and ran back out without going to the toilet. I should have apologized for scaring her son, but I couldn't.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that is that is extraumatizing.
Speaker 2: I know it was very innocent and not meant to be, but like, I feel for that kid.
Speaker 3: That kid is not going to be okay, what happened. At least she didn't start we actually she sat down side wing.
Speaker 2: I can't, I can't do you know what happened to me on the weekend. So we're at the pub in Barron. I'm on the toilet doing a number two and Lola, which it's not my fault, sometimes you got to take the kids to the toilet with you because she needed to go. I didn't know I needed to do a number two. It hit me as I was doing a week as it always as it always does. And she just opens the door and fucking walks out, just walks out, and the door is too I was like, Lola, don't you don't you touch it?
Speaker 3: Don't you touch it?
Speaker 2: You can't get up missed and she and she just opens it and goes by Mommy going back to Daddy, walks out there. I am this poor woman runs up. She's like, I'll keep the door shut. She doesn't know that I'm doing a poop, dude, not just keep.
Speaker 3: A door shut, going stop the small child. I was like, at this point, let it go, let her rehome myself. No, I'm not at all. I don't mean that I love your disclaimers. I don't mean that she should be re home. You don't need to.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I worry that people think I don't love being a mum, But I really love being a mummy.
Speaker 3: It's the best thing ever. They know that they'm actually putting your kids on Facebook mark place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people don't believe used free to good home, pick up today, pick up straight away, please.
Speaker 3: On curbside, home home, honesty box, leave donation.
Speaker 2: All right, suck and sweet for the week. I mean that could have been my suck, but what was your suck for the week? My suck was coming to like a really hard realization that Ben and I are not always going to be able to share food.
Speaker 1: So like a big part of my existence and what I wanted from a relationship was obviously trust, love, respect, and I also wanted someone to share food with.
Speaker 3: However, because that's how I order my food, I would.
Speaker 1: I would never order my own meal Like that is crazy talk to me. I want to be able to order a few Hey, do you have you up your bit? Will swap halfway like, because I want.
Speaker 3: To taste everything.
Speaker 2: We're so far into that in our relationship that Matt just knows what I would order, so he'll just get a thing that will compliment my order.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Ben will be like, well, if you want that, then order two meals. And I was like, what, but I just want to try some of yours, like I don't want a whole other meal. He's generally pretty good, but there's some things he won't budge on. And I had this realation on the weekend that there's some stuff I'm not gonna be able to share with him. Other stuff he's fine, but he'd be more happy to pay for an extra meal then share some stuff. Not everything. But sometimes he's like, I also feel like the chicken. But I was like, but I'm getting the chicken. He's like, yeah, but I also want it.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, fuck my life. And you're like, we can't order two chickens. But we did. We ordered two chickens. Can you believe it? That is crazy to it that's the same meal we ordered two. I hate that.
Speaker 2: I know, Okay, why would we both eat the same thing when we could eat each other's meet.
Speaker 3: Each other full stop out.
Speaker 1: So my sweet was just the fact that I went away. I had a really wholesome weekend with Ben. We're still falling in love. I made myself sick cut that we had a good weekend. We function on cut that as well.
Speaker 3: Let me find my feet, okay, leave them both in please, all right my weekend? Hang on, I have a real one. Oh I thought that was it? No cool, that's it? Leave it okay, my slack for the week.
Speaker 2: We had a leaking window at the front of our house and we got it repaired recently, and over the weekend whilst we were away was the very first time we've had like proper big storms.
Speaker 3: And the leaking window is not a leak anymore.
Speaker 2: We had an indoor fucking water feature, so the window had been installed in correctly. And now the whole wall has to be taken out of the front of our house and redone, which is like we've already been through that process for two weeks and now we got another two weeks of doing it.
Speaker 3: So that is Helen her. That's crazy. Actually it's not really, it's but it's inconvenient.
Speaker 2: And it's more inconvenient because my sweet is Matt's mum's back from her French trip that she went over to France. She did two and a half months of French lessons and French speaking and how.
Speaker 3: Many French rendezvous No joking, she didn't shoot us.
Speaker 2: Never tell you, no, I reckon, she'd tell me if she got boned by a Frenchman.
Speaker 3: She got a bit of baguette. But did she even salami? What did she get some like a stick of salami? No, that's not sliced.
Speaker 2: I no, she did it, and but she would tell me, but no, that's like she thinks that those days are long gone for her.
Speaker 3: But she's but she's back.
Speaker 2: And so the reason why it's even more of a suck is because that is her bedroom. So the front room in our house that had the leaking window is her bedroom, and so we wanted to get everything repaired before she came home. And now she's home, and she's not gonna have a bedroom to be in for a couple of weeks. So it's it's just very inconveniently timed. But I'm really happy that she's home, and I really adore that I have such a awesome relationship with my mother in law because I think most of the time you always hear horror show stories around people's mother in law's, but mine's just the best.
Speaker 3: I want the mother in law Jackpot. Yeah, she said. We love Ellie. I love Ellie.
Speaker 2: She's almost like my You'll have her if you could take her mother in law anyway, guys, that's it from us.
Speaker 3: We hope you enjoyed the episode before we let you go, don't forget.
Speaker 1: We have a YouTube channel now so you can go and watch all of our episodes. Hit subscribe, follow along. It's literally just life on cut. You can search it, but we also put the links in the show notes and if you love the episode, you can leave a review wherever you listen.
Speaker 3: And that's it from us.
Speaker 1: Guys, don't forget tea mom, tay, dadte dog tee and share the love because we love them