Speaker 1: Do you take a greens powder each day, or maybe you combine collagen creating and protein into a smoothie, or maybe you have a special hot chocolate that you enjoy before bed. For full transparency, Leanne and I do sell formulated nutritional supplements via our brand designed by dietitians, but even we are shopped as some of the prices women are paying for dietary additions like collagen and magnesium. And today we share with you how you can tell if you're investing in your health or getting ripped off.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Susy Burrow.
Speaker 1: And I'm Liam Water, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything you need to know in the world of nutrition, as well as supplements spend. We have some brand new research that looks at the best foods you can eat for PMS. We have a cheap suit from audio that is pretty good nutritionally, and our listener question is all about high protein chocolate milk.
Speaker 3: So Leanne.
Speaker 1: Recently, I was milling the aisles of none other than Chemist Warehouse, which is kind of a mecca, isn't it Like when I go overseas? I love nothing more and going to those twenty for hour drug stores. They've got so much stuff. But you know, we're busy in life. I don't have that much time to go around shops. But I was waiting for a script and I was having a look at some of the products. Now, you know, we launched design Bi Dietitians about fifteen months ago because we had been recommending certain supplements for women and we thought, well, we should just formulate our own because we are qualified to do so. But I think what we've really observed in the last five to ten years is a growing number of wellness influencers who are really using their genetics, good looks and high profile that may inevitably come from reality television, and basically selling dietary supplements. You know, it's I guess tricky because everyone's got a right to go into business. You know, that's not I guess the concern we're raising. The concern I have is when I see products like a very simple hot chocolate with three to five grams of collagen added, or a greens powder which is basically just dehydrated vegetables and a few vitamins thrown in, or magnesium which is really an electrolyte, which yes we can need and yes we can supplement, but it's not overly expensive, you know when you formulate it.
Speaker 2: When I see them.
Speaker 1: Being sold for sixty ninety dollars, you know, and I'm like, really, because it's just basically ripping people off, because there's nothing in those drinks in general that is so super special that justifies paying double what the average brand is paying. So I want it just for people to be aware. And I think deep down we all know this to be true there and just because it costs more doesn't always mean it's better. So if you go into a luxury car market and there is evidence that the Porsche or the Lexus performs better, drives better, resells better, and you can justify paying double for a car, no drama.
Speaker 2: But I want our listeners.
Speaker 1: To be aware that when you read a nutritional label and you see three or five grams of collagen, and basically that's the main ingredient in a supplement, there is no justification to be paying double for that same active ingredient just because someone beautiful selling it. Generally speaking, they are not qualified to be selling nutritional supplements. I think that's actually a fundamental issue. In most cases, they will have someone formulating it, but when they're up there on podcasts talking about it, they have no credentials to be talking about applied nutrition. And when they're charging women, hard working women double for at five grams of collagen or one hundred and fifty grams of magnesium, I'm just appalled because basically you are taking advantage of people, and I just want people to be aware that when it is double, really check those active ingredients, because when I have a look at them, often they're quite simple products with very simple things out it, like herbals, maybe magnesium zinc, and they're charging double because they're famous as supermodel, reality TV star or naturally very beautiful, and I just think, come on, like, it really takes advantage a little bit. So that's the main thing. I would be always looking at what is in that product and does it justify that spend? So and I guess it's not dissimilar to skin care in a different way because skin care, you can see a moisturizer, and a moisturizer might be two or three times the amount of a normal moisturizer, and in the case of more boutique kind of brands. Yes, you'd say they've got higher level ingredients, or they might have studies to show that it reduces aging.
Speaker 2: You know, they try and justify that.
Speaker 1: The issue with nutritional supplements is that there's often no justification. Some of the supplements are obscure. So when you're basically buying, you know, if we're looking at what is generally in a hot chocolate powder, it's probably magnesium, maybe some amino acids. What's in a skin supplement, it's usually cold religion, what's in a creatin you know how much is in there, and if it's basically the same stuff, you've got to make sure you're not basically getting hugely ripped off just because someone will know you is selling it.
Speaker 2: So I think it's buyer beware.
Speaker 1: But yeah, when I see people paying sixty ninety more one hundred dollars plus for special Greens powder, I'm like, come on, you are just basically lining the pockets of the influencer who's flogging it to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And when you sent me that hot chocolate which I'm retailed for like ninety dollars, I was like, is anybody actually paying that? And again like it's they're trading off their good looks in their genetics. So basically say like I'm so beautiful, I take this hot chocolate every night, buy my brand basically, and so I think, like you said, it's consumer beware. We have to do our due diligence. We have to understand what are the products we're buying. What is the clinical ingredient in there? If it is skincare, yes, there is some research to show that collagen can improve skin elasticity skin hydration in the serving size of about three to five gram perserve. But again that research is a daily target. So if you're going to take collagen and you want some improvements in terms of fine lines, skin elasticity, hydration, you need to be taking three to five grams absolutely daily to actually have that impact. If you're going to pay ninety dollars for a hot chocolate and have it a couple of times a week or sporadically when you remember, or only in winter when it's a little bit cooler, or only every Friday and Saturday night, you're not actually going to get the benefits from the collagen. So it is really important to understand what is the active ingredient, What are other people on the market sort of selling it for because that'll give you a broader implication of sort of the worth or the value of that ingredient. And then how often do I actually need to take it and in what dose? And that's the same thing with vitamins and minerals basically.
Speaker 3: Right, if you've got.
Speaker 4: An iron deficiency but you only sporadically take your iron supplement whenever you remember to do that, and you always wash it down with your morning coffee, you're probably never really going to increase your blood iron levels and you're probably always going to be a kneemic.
Speaker 3: So it is really important to.
Speaker 4: Actually have an understanding and if you don't go and see a dietitian and cross check your supplements, cross check your you know, go and see a doctor or a pharmacist and cross check your medications and make sure that you're actually taking the amount in the vitamin in the correct amount to actually have a clinical effect. Basically, so I think it is really important to do some research.
Speaker 3: But also the other one you sent.
Speaker 4: Me was a brand of Creating, and we know you know in designed by dietitians. We sell the highest quality creating in the world. It's German sourced, it's Create Pure, It's ninety nine percent purity. You cannot get better purity in the world. If a brand does not advertise that they are using German source creating or Create Pure, hands down, it is from China. Even if the brand says it's one hundred percent creating monohydrate, it is from China, because we are paying so much more as a brand to source that from Germany to have that nine point nine percent purity basically, and so many brands out there are using Chinese source creating, which is significantly cheaper and actually charging more than we do. It designed by dietitians. You sent me one Susie and we're charging over fifty dollars for the same amount for Chinese source creatine.
Speaker 3: So it's just a bit of a rought.
Speaker 4: And if you're following your favorite influences, by all means, buy the products if you want to, but really make sure that you understand how much is in it, how much you need to take, and where are those ingredients sourced from, because half the time these influencers or these models have absolutely no idea where these ingredients are coming from, what the quality of the ingredients are, how much needs to be in that active ingredient or in that product to actually have a clinical dose or a clinical effect. So it is something that definitely bubs us up the wrong way because we don't Yes we run a business, Yes we are business women, Yes we have mortgages to pay like everybody else, but we're not out here trying to rout people. We don't want to charge four times what we could for our products just because they're great products and formulated by dieticians. We're not going to do that to our customers. But there are some brands out there doing that. So I think you just need to be careful what you're buying and make sure that it truly is worth the value, not just because somebody beautiful sells that, you know, can it get unfortunately the same results because their results are based on genetics, not their you know, overpriced supplement range.
Speaker 1: Basically, there is nothing in a hot chocolate that warrants a month's worth being ninety dollars. Like it's just doesn't pass the pop test, you know. And when, as I said, when I looked at it and then I looked what was in it, I was like, are you joking? Like there is actually not even a couple of active ingredients in there because there is only there's only collagen.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, that is double.
Speaker 1: What baseline collagen should be at a high price level, you know. And in terms of how do you you know, we as you know a brand, you know, we basically look at the raw ingredients and then we look and think what would is a reasonable amount to pay for that as part of a balanced diet. And when I'm looking at it going there is no way, you know, people should be paying three or four dollars to serve for a nightly hot chocolate at home with five grams of collagen. So I think, you know, with those kind of formulated drinks, you know, look at the raw ingredient, what are you actually paying for for? And you know, sure if you're stacking something, so for example, if that hot chocolate had in that creating it had collageen had, you know, then you can start to justify our well, instead of using two or three, you're using one. But often when I'm seeing these influencers doing it's got one or two basic ingredients with a massive markup, and that is just taking advantage of consumers because I think if you step back and think, right, you know, we are dietitians in the sense that our craft is to you know, educate supply in the case of supplements, nutrition, evidence based nutrition, that is our craft, that is our skill, that is our profession. So in the case of an influencer, a supermodel, you know, they've got a limited time span of being well known to get a brand up, so they're there in many cases to get it out quickly, to make their money, get in and out. You know, the money's running low. Supermodel is not paying much anymore. You can kind of see from a business perspective how it works, but it doesn't change the fact you're basically taking advantage of consumers in some cases. And I think as health professionals we deal and talk to women every day. Ethically, we don't feel comfortable doing that. I couldn't be selling something like we could make a lot more money and double the dose, double the price of our hot chocolate. Absolutely we could, but I couldn't be ripping people.
Speaker 2: Off like that. I couldn't sleep at night.
Speaker 1: I'd be like feeling too guilty because I know I'm basically just ripping people off. So yeah, I think, just be aware of it. Check your active ingredients and if it fails the pub test, if someone is like that is a ridiculous amount to be paying for a powder that you're sticking into a drink each night, you know, because you could say, oh, well, I'm paying three dollars at the coffee shop for a coffee or five dollars. Yeah, but you're paying for the barista to make it, you're paying for the service, you're paying for the In these cases.
Speaker 2: You've just got the raw powder. So just be a little bit aware.
Speaker 1: And I think in this day and age, you know, there's some ethical questions around who's formulating and selling and when. These markups are just beyond so they're the ones I'd be particularly aware of. The hot chocolate formulations, the greens powders, the collagen and magnesium like as a war ingredient.
Speaker 2: These are not overly expensive.
Speaker 1: Probably the most expensive collagen can be expensive depending on the source. And also you know, the German creation is more expensive, so you should see a slight price increase on that. But yeah, just as I said, please don't ever think for a second that paying more in these instances is better. You know, like leanne ninety dollars, I can pay for three or four family meals for ninety bucks. Like that's a serious amount to be spending on a hot chocolate drink. So yeah, I think just be aware and just don't get ripped off and think that they're better just because they're charging a lot more and they've just got bigger profile, and the reason to make bigger margins, you know, in their businesses is coming from a more personal one rather than a professional stance as we are.
Speaker 4: And the other one i'll just add to that less that you mentioned the Greens powders, the hot chocolates is the growing range of hydration supplements on the market. So I saw another you could call it an influencer, like in the fitness space, launch a brand of like hydration supplements basically, and it worked out to be five.
Speaker 3: Dollars something a serve.
Speaker 4: And I was reading a forum about people complaining and saying is this justified? And people were like, it's a bit of sodium and potassium. How is it five dollars a serve? Like absolutely ridiculous. But when you look at it and you go in to say coals or wall words, if you did buy a bottle of parade off the shelf, I mean, yeah, it's four or five dollars, but nobody actually does that daily because you wait for it to become half priced if you really need it, or I buy a range of hydration supplements from the chemists that it's just a powder I mixed into water myself for my really heavy workout days, and that works out to be like a couple of dollars a serve.
Speaker 3: So again, this influence.
Speaker 4: Is charging more than double really for just a bit of salt and potassium and a tiny bit of flavoring. And then she still had artificial flavors and malto dexterro.
Speaker 3: Mixed through it as well. So I just think it is a bit of a rut.
Speaker 4: So just be careful what you're paying for and really do a bit of research in terms of what's comparable, and just don't fall for yeah, big influencers and big models with big supplement brands, because often your money is probably better spent on better quality ingredients and for cheaper prices somewhere else. All right, Well, that leads us nicely into our next section. Well, actually not really doesn't lead us directly at all, but we have a list new section for our listeners for the next few section, which is all about PMS research.
Speaker 3: We'll get off our ranty pants.
Speaker 4: At the moment, Susy and we get on a rant we can really go for hours, but we'll come off that and we'll talk about some nice new research about PMS, because I came across this one online and I really liked it.
Speaker 3: It's a brand new study actually published this.
Speaker 4: Month in May in the Journal of Nutrition, which is a very reputable journal, and the study was titled the Dietary Predictors of pre Menstrual Syndrome or PMS and the Protective role of nuts, seeds, and legumes and the Adverse role of sugar and sweets. So essentially the article was investigating the specific dietary components that actually influence PMS in women. And Susie and I have so many clients that really do suffer with quite debilitating PMS, generally you know, before their cycles and sometimes during. So I think anything that as women, particularly when research is focused around women, because so much much is it, And I think when it comes down to our cycles and our hormones and even different things like fertility and metopause, like all of these things are really really important topics for women. So when we do see some new research, it's very very exciting because we do know that about eighty percent of Australian women eighty percent age between eighteen and forty five have experienced problematic periods in the past five years. That is a massive amount of Australian women eighty percent that have had issues or have had problems with you know, period and period pain in PMS, and this has actually ended up costing the economy and estimated fourteen billion dollars every single year. So if we have some research that can show that dietary and lifestyle modifications could actually help millions of women, not only just in Australia but around the world lessen the risk of PMS, we are certainly going to be talking about it. And this research was really really exciting. So essentially what it found was that women who experience painful PMS symptoms could be making their symptoms up to thirty three percent worse by actually indulging in their sugar craving. So a lot of women, Susie and I included, like, we're not we're not unicorns here, We're not the.
Speaker 3: Exception to it.
Speaker 4: We crave sugar before and during our periods, and particularly a lot of that PMS is sooths by some sugar, some sweets, some chocolate, so that could actually be making your symptoms thirty three percent worse. Instead, what this research is found that a handful of nuts and seeds a day, around about thirty to forty grams could actually reduce PMS symptoms by forty one percent.
Speaker 3: That is a huge, huge amount.
Speaker 4: So basically it found that there was a protective factor, so a higher intake of nut seeds and also legume so Q, a more plant based or plant focused diet was associated with a reduced risk of experiencing PMS symptoms. And I think that all the research is sort of pointing towards the fact that these foods, these nutsy seeds, legumes, whole grains as well, are really rich and essential nutrients, things like magnesium, vitamin B six, healthy fats, and that actually may play a role in hormonal regulation and also mood stabilization. And so many of our clients do not eat anywhere near enough nuts, seeds and legumes.
Speaker 3: It's something that both.
Speaker 4: Susie and I are immediately when we start working with a client, we do a full diet sort of overview look at what they're currently eating, and of course we up the vegetables and the fruit and the fresh foods, but often we're adding in good quality nut seeds and legumes because they're just missing from most busy women's diets. And a lot of us want to supplement with B vitamins for energy, we want magnesium to help us sleep, and for our muscles, we want you know, we're taking all of these supplements, but if we can actually get them in through food, of course we always want to have a food first approach. So nuts, seeds and legumes here were really the key protective factor in PMS. And what was really interesting was that people with an increased consumption of sugar and sweets that actually correlated to a higher incidence of PMS symptoms. So those who had more sugar and sweets had worse PMS symptoms and a higher incidence, and those who consume more nut seas and leggames had a lower incidence and experience less painful PMS symptoms.
Speaker 3: And they did find that the.
Speaker 4: Sugar in the sweets, or what they were sort of implying was that diets high and refined carbohydrates and refined sugars chocolates, sweets, you know, sugary drinks like soft drinks that can lead to a lot of blood sugar fluctuations and then potentially exacerbate mood swings and other sort of PMS related discomforts as well.
Speaker 3: So it's really really interesting research.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say that it's something that we didn't kind of know indirectly, right, Like it's basically general healthy eating, but I think it's always nice for our general healthy eating dips as dieticians to be backed up by some solid research.
Speaker 3: So how do you feel about this article?
Speaker 2: Suits?
Speaker 4: It's a really interesting one, but it definitely highlights a significant need in terms of women's health and women's hormones and just continuing to advocate the balanced nutrition and not letting, I guess women get into that mindset of oh, I've got PMS, all, I've got my period. I deserve to eat all of the chocolate, which certainly you can have some, but I think when we're just riding off a couple of days and going through you know, rose and rose or blocks of chocolate, it could actually be potentially having a negative impact on us, which we haven't really seen in the research before.
Speaker 1: Have we well, it just shows more rationale for including those good fats proactively because those symptoms, the bloating, the pain, the emotional dysregulation, whilst the body is craving the sweet foods, the underlying nutrition will be of benefit. And I think busy women, particularly twenties and thirty or old women, like they're rushing around with jobs, dating, partying, or in their thirties probably planning families. In some cases, they're often sacrificing their own nutrition. So certainly superfoods in that space. Walnuts are, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, LSA, and just making that a part of your day and being aware that whilst you might crave extra chocolate, and I think previously on the potty we've spoken about needing about one hundred to two hundred extra calories around the timing period, you know, make sure you're still getting those nuts and seeds regularly and more plant based foods because it will naturally reduce inflammation. So I just thought it was nice data specifically looking at something that does affect most women or you know, like you said eighty percent of women, because I liked the data, like, did you read this out? Thirty three percent worse by include indulging sugar cravings compared to a handful of nuts can reduce PMS by forty one percent. That's significant, Like that is really significant.
Speaker 2: And one of the most.
Speaker 1: Common questions we have is what type of nut? And I always say a mix is good. You know, like often we're reaching for almonds, but if you can get things like the more obscure nuts, like the walnuts, the pumpkin seeds, you know, you get different fats from those rather than just the almonds. So I think mixing up which is why we love the munch snacks, because you get portion control of that different range of nuts and seeds. And if you look at nut bars, they're often having a heavily peanut base, which is where there's not as many benefits to that. So you're really wanting to look for those more variety cashew, walnut, alm and a range if you can, or even I like, rather than just there's a lot of good peanut butter, which are a hundred percent nuts, but I prefer the seeded mixes which you get a whole range, so they're a good addition, or you know, flax seed LSA in a smoothie each day but yeah, I thought it was just some nice starter to talk about and a reminder because I would argue that often busy people.
Speaker 2: Are not getting those fats on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: I'll just have a lot of quick tip for our listeners.
Speaker 4: And because we are certainly as women, we are not saying don't eat chocolate if you're on your period or you have some PMS, but really be particular with the type of chocolate. Really go for that darker you know, seventy percent or higher, so it's higher and antioxidants. You're getting more benefit from that. It's also not so much of an ultra processed food either. A lot of milk type chocolates have a lot of added you know, different vegetable oils and stuff in them. So if you can grab a handful of nuts or seed, some pistachios, some walnuts, some pecan, some almonds, lay them onto a bit of baking paper, even put some fresh berries in there for some extra fiber and antioxidants, and drizzle that with some good quality dark chocolate. You can basically make like a nut and seed bark and that's a much better I guess. Addition, you're getting the you're hitting the cravings from the chocolate perspective, but you're also getting the protective benefits of the nuts and seeds with the researchers shown, and again legumes. So many of our ladies eat a salad for lunch, which is amazing, but when was the last time you put some black beans or some brown lentils or some chickpeas into that salad as well, So really focusing on your beans and legumes. And again, if you need that little bit of a chocolate fixed, totally fine. There is actually a growing range of things like roasted chickpeas, and there's a brand out there. I think it's Happy Snack Company, isn't it Susi that does the dark chocolate coated chickpeas as well. So again you're getting the benefits of the sweetness from the chocolate, but also the additional benefits of legumes too, So it's not all or nothing. You don't have to give up chocolate and replace it with nuts and seas. You can do a combination of both. And that's the message that Susi and I for the last four or five years i've had the podcast, we've always tried to say to our listeners it's about balance. It's not black or white, it's not about all or nothing. You don't have to give anything up, but really focus on what you can add into your diet, which particularly from a PMS perspective, is going to be really really.
Speaker 3: Beneficial for women.
Speaker 4: So NATSI dark chocolate, bark, bitter berries for antioxidants, absolutely wonderful to hit those sweet cravings but also give you some additional benefits to hopefully reduce some of those PMS type symptoms.
Speaker 1: True, and I had just recently reviewed the dark chocolate brands for an article I inkerret for nine honey, and I would say seventy to eighty percent of dark chocolate in the supermarket has the first ingredient sugar as opposed to cocoa beans, which means that it's less equality. So just if you are a dark chocolate eater, So for example, that Audi which we do love their portion control chocolate, the General brand definitely even their dark chocolate is still sugar base, whereas when you go to that mond one, the thin one that's more blocked like a lint with.
Speaker 2: The five serves. Their pure dark is first ingredient cocoa butter.
Speaker 1: So your best to seek out dark chocolate has that higher proportion of antioxidants if you're doing a kind of bark or if you are having it because it is a better quality product. And there's only a small handful that do have that base as opposed to sugar. All rightly and well, I have been to Audi, as you might have inferred, I don't go. I love Audi because I get a few key things there, but I don't go that often. It's not in my sort of normal grocery rum. Keep in mind if I go to most both supermarkets in most days. But I did have to go for something else recently, and I did a little bit of a look over pantry staples there, and I remember that when I had a colonoscopy, I used the chicken soup and I really quite liked it, And when I had to look at nutritionally, it's actually pretty good. And it's only retails for three dollars the pouch, So I thought that was quite a good one coming into winter, and you know, we're back into soup season now. No one is saying that it's not better to make your own. My issue or not feedback on making your own? Is that a good soup? That's got in it, say chicken legumes, a good quality stock, a base of celery, onion, galic leak can cost twenty at least, not thirty dollars of base ingredients. Now, sure you'll get four or five six serves out of that, but it's still quite a big spin for a bowl of soup. Whereas if you can buy them at reasonably cheap prices and nutritionally they're pretty good, you'd argue for busy people like you don't have to feel guilty about different soups. Now, I'm not saying that this soup is the best in a supermarket. There are chicken soups that are so pristine nutritionally that, as I said, you'd be pushed to make your own Potango Chicken and vegetable is an example of that. It is so strong nutritionally, I can't really fault it. But I thought I would just talk about an Aldi product because I know some of our listeners enjoy shopping Aldi, and I think this one's not too bad, particularly keeping the cupboard as a bit of a backup. So this is an old fashioned chicken soup, and it retails for two dollars ninety nine, which is incredibly inexpensive for a product. Also, Leanne Audio remo good books at the moment because for a long time I couldn't get any.
Speaker 2: Of the nutritionals of the products online.
Speaker 1: They just didn't put them there, And now they've added them all in, which really makes me happy.
Speaker 2: So they're in my good books.
Speaker 1: So it recommends two serves a pack now, to be honest, I ate it in one, so I think it Stretching it to two serves is a bit of extreme, but you know you could as a side dish, so perseve if you're basing it on tuo per packets one hundred and eight calories. It's got five point eight grams of protein, three point seven grams are fat, only one point five saturated as you would expect in a soup. Three point seven sugars per serve, which is actually pretty low for a soup because you do get some natural sugars from a vegetable based soup. And the sodium is three forty four, which is actually quite low. Even if you double that, you're coming in less than seven hundred. That is low for a soup. So that's one of the reasons I quite like it. The ingredients are water, and someone asked me if I should be concerned water is the first ingredient in a soup. Absolutely not, It probably should be in most cases. Dice chicken thigh. Now we'd prefer chicken breast, but chicken thig is not too bad. Five percent not overly high, but not loverly low. Five percent potatoes skim milk powder, so they're using that to cream it up, celery, carrot, sweet corn, so you're getting another sort of five percent vegetables there, which adds it to about ten, including the potato, natural flavored corn starch for thickening, cream powder, onion, potato starches, extract, canola oil, thickener, spices, and herbs. Now, yes, it's not as clean as some of them, but it's pretty clean. It doesn't have any added sugars really, and it's not a bad percentage of vegetables for a soup that retails at.
Speaker 2: Two ninety nine.
Speaker 1: So I would give it a seven eight out of ten, and I think at the price point it's just quite a good product that because some of the soups, if it's a cup of soup, for example, or a more broth baited soup, they're not overly tasty, so you're not going to have it. The reason I like this is it is quite creamy without being too high in calories. So I think it just is a nice middle ground option to keep in the cupboard and just say you make yourself a toasted sandwich, you make yourself a wrap for lunch, or some crackers, and you're wants some extra box to go with it. The three bucks. I think it's a pretty good option. So yeah, I quite liked it. What do you think I like it?
Speaker 4: I like this as no artificial colors, flavors, there's no preservative. So, like you said, like it's a good ingredient list I would use this more as a snack, I guess, like particularly one hundred cows of serve, six grams of protein, it's more a snack.
Speaker 3: It's not a meal, let's be honest.
Speaker 4: But as you said, you use it as a bit of a side dish or even for really active listeners, like that's a good stack. Even the whole pouch, like two hundred calories, twelve grams of protein, it's good. Particular if you're active. Six hundred milligrams are sodium. I wouldn't really be concerned about him someone who's active, Like, I'm not that concerned unless you've really got issues with blood pressure or you know, heart or something like that.
Speaker 3: So I think it's good.
Speaker 4: I think Aldi is definitely competing with the bigger supermarkets. They're bringing out more and more products which are very very similar to some of our favorite brands in more the big giant supermarkets as well. But I do think we're definitely heading into soup season and a lot of I had a favorite range of fresh soups and coals, but they.
Speaker 3: Just seem to have been gone in the last year or so.
Speaker 4: And I'm just not so much a fan of the fresh ones in Wulworest that I am in Coals, So I think a lot of the fresh soups have kind of gone off the market.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's due to the expiry dates or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't find the Potango, which was the best chicken and vegetable soup.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 4: My favorite ones were the Coals Perform range. At Coals, they had really strong nutritionally, is like between three to four hundred calories like of course to thirty grams of protein, really great fiber, and they're just they've mostly gone.
Speaker 3: I can't find them at my local, so it's very upsetting.
Speaker 4: But a lot of the better quality soups have been replaced the fresh ones with these more pouches, so you find them on the shelf in the canned soups out of sort of section and their pouches. So just making sure of course you're decanning it out of the plastic pouch and you're putting it into like a saucement or something and warming it up on the on the stove top. But yeah, I think it's I think it's pretty strong nutritionally. It's just it's to me, it's a lot. It's a snack or it's a very very very light addition to a meal, like you said, a bit of a toasted sandwich or a nice you know, a bit of leftovers we might not quite have enough and you can have a bit of sort of soup on the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I love sandwich and a soup when you go to the States. I think it's such a good combo. It's even a piece of leftover chicken or Yeah, I think it's a nice one just to keep one hand for three dollars, really nice price point.
Speaker 4: Alrighty, and that brings us to our final segment of the show, Susie our listener question. So today the listener question is there are a growing range of high protein flavored milk drinks on the market. Yes, there are? Are they a good choice? So this is an interesting question because my first question back to you, listener, would be a good choice for what as a meal or as a snack? Because some of these higher protein flavored milk drinks can be upwards of three hundred calories and for somebody who's actively trying to lose weight, who's not really that tall and who's not really living in a larger body, say for example, someone's you know, five foot four, they're about you know, sixty eight kilos. They just want to drop a couple of kilos that you don't really need a huge amount of calories, you know, per meal. So I think for some of these, I think a lot of us are using them as snacks, whereas I think some of them are pretty high calorie you just need to be careful.
Speaker 3: A lot of them are also very ultra process.
Speaker 4: Particularly if you look at the ones that are more I guess like the mere replacement formulated ones. But if you're thinking what I'm thinking, Susie more the ones in the cold iced coffee kind of section.
Speaker 3: The Rookby Farms Pools has a new one as well.
Speaker 4: I think they have a time and place like I certainly don't write them into my client meal plans. But if they're busy, they might have left their lunch at home. They just, you know, want to quick and easy kind of lunch. They're going in and they're going to grab something like that soup and one of the high protein milk drinks to go with them. I don't really have a problem with that, but I certainly don't use them on a regular basis or really write them into my client's meal plans. I really think they're more of a convenient a kid's sports. I'm just going to duck into the local supermarket and grab one of these protein drinks to kind of get me through, so I'm not snacking on the sausages or the pies or the hot chips at you know, the kids sports or you know, during the work afternoon tea when all the pastries are out, I'm going to have one of these instead. And I went to a business conference a couple of weeks ago, and the girls sitting in front of me had one of them high protein milk drinks on her desk. Where was When I looked around me, me being a dietitian, I had my coffee.
Speaker 3: I went out to the local coffee shop, got a coffee.
Speaker 4: I had my apple, I had my veggie sticks, and I had my nuts and seas and a little kind of container.
Speaker 3: But that's me being a shot off dietitian.
Speaker 4: But I was looking around me and there was just bags of lollies and you know, big bags of chips everywhere on blocks of chocolate, and I just kind of thought, she's done really well. Like she's got a higher protein flavored milk drink, it's got some calcium, it's got some protein. It's really going to help stabilize her blood sugar levels.
Speaker 3: Like I was, like, it's a great choice.
Speaker 4: It was about three pm in the afternoon, so I'm guessing that she, you know, ducked out and went to one of the little, you know, metro supermarkets or something in the city to grab that, because I had come from home and I hadn't gone to the supermarkets by the coffee shop all day, and that wouldn't have lasted because I left home about seven am that morning. So I think it's a really great option. I think there's a time and a place for them. But I think in terms of convenience when you're out here on the run, I think they can be.
Speaker 3: Really, really great.
Speaker 4: But I wouldn't be using them as a regular option basically just for the price point and the fact that there are some different types of emulsifiers and additives in there that we would deem them generally ultra process foods.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: Think that they have a time and a place for convenience occasionally.
Speaker 3: That's probably my two cents on them. What do you think?
Speaker 1: A little bit upset about them, to be honest, because they're doing a lot of roundstututionally as a thirty grand of protein products and supermarket. But they've got artificial sweetener in them, They've got a spar tame, and I just think in this day.
Speaker 2: And age, we're beyond that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: You know, Coca Cola is pulling dit coke off the shelves for a reason. A spar tame has been banned in Europe. Why are we now still proactively adding it to these drinks?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: The target market usually for flavored milk is a tradey teenage market, so they're the biggest consumers of flavored milk in convenience which is petrol stations, convenient quickie stores, and then even in supermarkets. So tradesmen who are eating three four meals a day and going through a lot of calories, and also teenage boys. So for them, like you said, there are a breakfast meal. In a way, they've increased the protein. They're really high in calcium. Some of them have got eight hundred milligrams of calcium, which is incredibly high. So nutritionally they kind of tick the macro nutrient boxes. But my issue is the artificial sweetener.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 1: You know, we had quite a discussion when we were formulating our hot chocolate because Jara sort of was the hot chocolate I had always consumed and enjoyed because it had a really nice, creamy flavor. But ultimately it's got a spartan in it nine to five to one, which is the same as the diet chocolate moose. So as a dietician, I've had to say, right, I actually have to stop recommending these products because we are telling clients to have a product that we know has got a product that's an ingredient that's band overseas, Like there's a reason for this that it just banned things because of a whim. There's got to be strong evidence that they should be. So when we have Australian foods that are newly formulated to contain it, I'm like, come on, there are so many sweetener alternatives that are natural now. There is stevia, there is natvia, there are the alcohol sugars. There are so many options now, highly likely the more expensive they're in the spar tame. But I just think in this day and age, we are beyond it, and I feel like we have to be honest to say, look, those products will not be in our newly updated to top two hundred supermarket products coming out in a month or two, because we cannot be recommending products that still contain the spar tame, particularly as a new product entering the supermarket shelves. So I'm seeing all these dieticians posting them because they've done a massive mail out of them, and I'm like, really, like, look at your ingredient lists.
Speaker 3: Refused them as a side to say, no.
Speaker 1: I think we should. They're strong, but I can't. And I said this to the brand manager of one of them, what's the go with your spar tame? Like we are beyond we have to be saying these things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Leanne and I've had some heightened discussions recently about calling products out in supermarket and I said to her like, if we don't, who is if we don't say.
Speaker 2: The food industry this is not good. You shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 1: You know, everyone thinks it's okay and because they've got mas market support or they're in Colls and Woolies. But I think as leading dieticians in Australia, we need to say they're not good. And so if you see nine to five one, my recommendation is we shouldn't be having it. And I believe it will be eventually banned in the austra and food supply as well, and I think we're at that stage now. These are not a one off product. This isn't a piece of chewing gum you consume occasionally. This is a product that people think is healthy and when they've got attitudes in it that shouldn't be in there, I think we need to pull that out and be quite blunts.
Speaker 2: So even for children.
Speaker 1: If it's got nine to five to one, I can't be proactively recommending it. So yeah, that's where I sit on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I agree with you in terms of the artificial sweeteners and the other brand that i'd say that doesn't have the artificial sweetener that I use occasionally for my clients, or I did up until sort of the end of last year when I read some of this newer research coming out about emulsifies with different types of bower diseases like IBD in plummatory bow disease sensitive tummy's IBS, there has been some new research that a few of the different types of emulsifiers can actually worsen gut health and that leakiness in the gut.
Speaker 3: So for any of my clients that have.
Speaker 4: Celiac disease IBD, I don't recommend these. And one of the big brands in the market actually has carriaging and which is a specific type of added emulsifier that can have negative implications from a gut health perspective in it. So it doesn't have the artificial sweetener, but it does have a mulcifier carriaging in it. So I actually don't generally recommend any of the brands because they've either got these added emulsifiers which we know aren't great for our gut health long term, or they've got added artificial sweetness. So I'm like you, I use them occasionally if I was in a pinch, Yes, i'd go buy one myself if I really needed a bit of a protein hit to get me through to my next meal or something. But to be honest, i'd probably pick up one of the higher protein yogurts on the market before i'd reach for something like this. But if a you know, if your husband a trader or whatever, or your teenage son is having one of these massive, you know, sugary type ic coffees or chocolate, you know, cold drinks, and you're gonna swap them over to something with a bit of protein in it, it's probably a good thing, but it's not something that I would actively be adding into the diets of my ladies, just due to the fact that they are ultimately most of them are an ultra processed food due to the added emulsifiers in them as well, which you're not going to get in fresh milk, and you generally don't find in some of the higher protein yogurts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a good point.
Speaker 1: Actually hadn't picked up on that, but absolutely right, good, good point. Thank you for listening to us today on the Nutrition Catch. Thanks keep telling your friends about us. We have hit five million downloads. I think I said this for about six months. Finally we did then I was actually at five point two.
Speaker 3: Were nearly five point three. Actually we're a bit yeah.
Speaker 1: That we did miss it. Yeah, which is a lot of downloads about nutrition. So we are so thrilled to be bringing evidence based nutrition that is hopefully helping you achieve your health goals. Thank you for your support of our brands, particularly are designed by dieticians, and we will see you same time next week for our regular episode drop see
Speaker 3: You then, thank you for your ongoing support.