Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money. The podcast lets you be pervy about other people's money habits for educational purposes, of course. Welcome back to another episode of Money Dies, where we get to talk to one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it because we got a message this week and it sounded exactly like this, Dear, She's on the Money. I went to UNI to study property economics with the big dreams of working in property development and having my own portfolio despite graduating top of my class, life had other plans for me. An operation on my foot, three babies, COVID and reoccurring cancer meant I've never had the chance to use my degree, and the jobs I've held have never felt secure. Now I'm feeling stuck. I want to start a new career, but I know how hard that can be when you can only work part time. But with everything I've been through, the one thing I've learned is that you never know what's around the corner, and sometimes taking life day by day is more than okay. Money Diarist, Welcome to the show. I am genuinely so excited to learn a little bit more about your money story. As always, I kick off the show asking all of our money dirist, it's the exact same question, So let's start there, money tourist, if I asked you to give yourself a money grade from A three to F, what would you give yourself?
Speaker 4: Probably currently I reckon somewhere in the middle for like a C. I reckon I've gone up and down on that at times.
Speaker 2: Though, let's learn a little bit more about that. I'm not going to ask specifically about it yet because we'll go into that can you tell me a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 4: So essentially, I probably gosh, ten or so years ago, studied a Bachelor of Business Property I hope to get into property development. At the time, I did quite well at UNIQ, got highest GPI my course, got a medal for that. Ooh, was you all looking pretty awesome? And I ended up starting to work in a credit union, which definitely wasn't for me.
Speaker 5: It wasn't my vibe.
Speaker 4: So I went back to the retail job I had during UNI, and then I started interviewing through a few property evaluation jobs and found out I needed a bone removed from my foot what which stopped me working for six months essentially, and then even after that I had to ease back.
Speaker 5: I couldn't stand full time on my feet.
Speaker 2: How do you discover? Ah, hey, money, darrist we would like to take a whole bone from your foot. She like, was your foot soul? Like?
Speaker 5: What was it was an extra one?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just had it? Did you have bonus bone?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Pretty much?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I said it was generally feel like a bonus. It would stop me walking properly.
Speaker 5: So I had that out. So I've been I probably should say as well.
Speaker 4: I've been with my husband since we were probably like fourteen, So through all of this time, he also went to UNI and also got a job out of UNI, so he was working through all this stuff for me and I also did come into a bit of inheritance, so we were able to once I had gone back a little bit into my retail job. Actually know I'm saying that I reckon. We bought a house before I had that surgery, so yeah, we use some of that inheritance, mostly his job.
Speaker 5: We always spent.
Speaker 4: About two hundred and eighty two thousand, so in today's market, quite a quite a cheap house just of entered the market. So that was a big win for us. At that point, we were pretty stoked. We were very good savers, very I don't like to this the word stitchy, but yeah, like we yeah, we're pretty stingy. We just lived within our means and we were pretty good savers back then.
Speaker 2: We called that frugal. We call that savvy. We can reframe that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, savvy, that's the right way. Yes, Yeah, yeah, she's savvy.
Speaker 2: She's smart with her money, she's strategic.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And having studied property like I was all over it and knew exactly what to look for, so that helped us for sure. And then I actually found out while I was still kind of recovering from that foot surgery that I was pregnant, which very exciting.
Speaker 2: That is very exciting. Not so good with us are foot because like it's already not a comfortable experience.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean it wasn't too bad.
Speaker 4: I was starting to get back into it, but it did just mean I couldn't work full time, so I wasn't eligible for paper rental eve, I hadn't been able to get back into working, so in the end, yeah, I just had to work my few hours a week and try and save enough money to have a baby without any pay per rental leave. And then obviously going into that knowing I didn't really have a good job or a career set up with now the challenges of parenting and motherhood and the fact that it would make it quite difficult to get into full time work, especially within the property sector.
Speaker 5: I'm in South.
Speaker 4: Australia, not as many options as say the East Coast, for example, so that also limited it, but especially with part time work, so I would either need to kind of be in full time and put my daughter in care full time, which wasn't something I really felt was right for me. So I ended up getting just a sales job when she was about ten months old, and at that point, like I was selling wedding gowns. So it was good, it was fun, it wasn't I kind of liked that there wasn't too much sort of pressure and I could go home and be mum and then bring in a little bit of extra money. But at that point then COVID hit, and I also was pregnant with my second daughter, and she was a much rougher pregnancy, but also the bridal store I ended up closing down just after COVID hit. Oh no, yeah, they were about to sell the business anyway, and then obviously when everything turned they ended up just closing. So luckily it was around the time I was going on maternity leave anyway, but I knew I wasn't going back to a job, but I was able to get paid parentally for that time, so we were in a much better kind of standing that time around good.
Speaker 2: I was like, did you get the parental leave this time? Like, please tell me that you did.
Speaker 5: It makes such a difference because I.
Speaker 2: Know for some people who are like, oh, like it's minimum wage, it doesn't matter, but like, like it's the thing that takes the weight off your shoulders, like you just don't feel like your hamstrongly in higher time, Like it is so powerful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we were able to save half of that so that we could kind of extend it out because we were able to kind of get by on my husband's wage. His wage is pretty decent he as an engineer, but it did just mean we could put a bit aside as well to extend the time I had off. It was sort of after that point that everything kind of as much as it already kind of felt a little bit crazy, it went even more so. So I ended up being diagnosed with cancer.
Speaker 5: When my daughter was probably just over a year old, I think at that point.
Speaker 4: So I think I just actually had a big interview at a job i'd really hoped to get. It was full time, but it was really at that point I resided that's the only way I was going to get into property. And I got pretty closely and I had a fair few interviews and I unfortunately did miss out. But blow and behold, I think the next day I got the call to say that we need to take this out.
Speaker 5: It looks like it probably is cancer.
Speaker 4: And if I had gotten that job, I wouldn't have been able to do it anyway, So I suppose it kind of.
Speaker 2: The universe had a way of just like making it not feel like you missed out and had to say no because of that. But like that is just so trash. So you had two kids, one was one and what one was three? Is that right? Yes, that's right, just like doing some mental maths and going, okay, well she said you baby here and then she did this, and then she.
Speaker 5: Did the Yeah, I know there's a two years between them.
Speaker 2: Yet, but like one in a three year old and you get diagnosed with cancer, that is shit. I am so sorry. Tell me a bit more about that journey.
Speaker 4: So it was a relatively kind of simple, like I just had to have surgery.
Speaker 5: They removed it so it was actually in my neck.
Speaker 4: It's quite a rare form in my salary gland, so there's not in a like a double edged sword. There was no like keybo doesn't work on it. So there was limited treatment options. So in a way that was good, but also it meant really all they could do was surgery, So I just had surgery healed. My next few scams over the following months came back all fine, so they kind of gave me to go ahead when.
Speaker 5: I said, oh, would it be okay?
Speaker 4: Do you think if I had another baby and They're like, yeah, no, everything's looking good.
Speaker 5: You're set. That's fine.
Speaker 4: I mean, I always knew there was a possibility it would come back, but I think we all felt pretty positive.
Speaker 5: It was small. They've got it early, so I did, probably.
Speaker 4: Before I got pregnant. I did get a new job working at a car dealership and again through COVID. That was a fun time when cars were like eighteen month waits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, I'm here to sell cars, but I have no cars to sell. Hello, welcome, Would you like a coffee?
Speaker 4: It was I got the fun job of like updating everyone and telling everyone that they would have to wait another few months, and they were delayed even more so it was quite stressful. But it was also the time we were wearing masks a lot, right, so I started having some symptoms twitching in my mouth. Luckily no one could see me because I would have looked like a complete lunatic. But we then went to kind of investigate what was causing that. They thought it could have just been a side effect from the surgery, but unfortunately, well, they did just scan actually when I was pregnant with my third child, and it looked okay, but I did request they do it again once he was born, because I couldn't do the contrast and die while pregnant. So I had sort of gone on maternity leave at that point, so I was intending to go back to this job. And then we found out when he was probably two months old and I had that scan done again, that it was back, and so this time I had to have surgery again and then also radiation treatment, but it was quite a substantial one of the biggest thing. I went for seven weeks every day to have radiation and she couldn't really eat.
Speaker 5: It affects your energy and things, so.
Speaker 2: That kind of yeah, and you've got three babies, Like, you've got three little kids at home, which is exhausting in itself, Like you're probably stressed out of your brain because you're thinking, what the hell am I going to do? Like that all adds to oh my goodness, Like I just want to scoop you up and be like what can I do? How many Lasagnas. Do you need I know, well, I.
Speaker 5: Mean it goes on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we really got a bit too used to it, like it's so normal to me now and in a terrible way.
Speaker 5: But I suppose also I'm at peace with it in a way.
Speaker 4: But yeah, So my boss called me, I think like just around I'd got started treatment and wanted to work out when I might want to come back.
Speaker 5: And I did say to him, look, we've just found this out. I've got to have treatment.
Speaker 4: He said, no worries, Like course back when you're all sorted and you're ready kind of to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get back to work.
Speaker 4: So I waited a few months, waited to treatment was over and I'd regained a bit of energy and called them and he decided that there was a downturn in trade and that I would be terminated. And because I was casual it, Yeah, it wasn't a lot I could could do about it. And even if I could, I think it wasn't worth the wasn't worth the energy. I didn't have much energy at that point.
Speaker 2: I don't want to work for someone who does that. I'm so sorry, but like, if this ever happened to someone in my team, like and I'm a small business, I would be bending over backwards. Like and the fact that you called and said, hey, I feel like I'm ready to return to work, Like you just know that people in that situation you would have been going above and beyond because like you're just so excited to get back into work. You're like probably so ready, like it's just something that you need. And for him to do that, no trash human. We don't want to associate with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, essentially kind of I was like, Yeah, I really don't want to go back into that kind of vibe anyways, So let.
Speaker 5: That kind of go.
Speaker 4: We at that point, I probably need to go backwards a little bit. So while I was working while I was pregnant, we did also buy a second house, so we moved to a bigger house. So we essentially we are amazing broker, A really good friend of ours was able to manage to get everything to work so that we could keep our previous house. We refinanced and turn that into an investment. Rented that out, which was awesome, didn't turn out to be very awesome. We had terrible tenants and a terrible property manager, and it was just a nightmare.
Speaker 2: That's being kicked while you're down, You're like, I'm going through a lot right now. I do not need this.
Speaker 4: Yes, we do have a bit of a running joke that there's gonna be some kind of curse because it would always just come all at once, like yeah, that's crazy. But yeah, to the point, like even the property managers admitted they'd done such a terrible job. They did refund us ten weeks of our property management fees, so that was kind of great, but also like they didn't do inspections for like the first six months I think, and it was Yeah, we had the tenants were terrible when we got the house back, so we did go on to sell it one year after when I lost my job.
Speaker 5: We did.
Speaker 4: Interest rates had gone up by that point quite significantly. We were just having a third child, and as much as you know, we're pretty grateful from our husband's income, it certainly wasn't enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even with just like the stress, no, thank you, like let's dispose of this and just take a lot of.
Speaker 4: The pressure exactly, and especially with like added medical expenses and things like that, we were just like, no, it's too much. And because we were having such a nightmare with the tenants and them not paying rent and things like that. We decided we just couldn't. Yeah, even if we could make it work financially, we.
Speaker 2: Don't want to. We don't want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So we sold it, which was a journey in its own, but at least eventually we did so.
Speaker 5: And luckily it was after the market had sent to take off, so we got after we refinanced.
Speaker 4: As I said, we bought it for two hundred and a two thousand, and I think we sold in the end for.
Speaker 5: I reckon it was six fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's pretty okay, but.
Speaker 4: We had refinanced for about four eighty, so I think after all the fees and stuff, we ended up with like around two hundred thousand dollars back in our pocket. And I thought, oh my gosh, that's amazing. That takes a load off. That will kind of give us a buffer. I then found out I'd be having well essentially it said it's been anotherst of four or five surgeries since then, so we were like, I won't go back to work.
Speaker 5: We'll just kind of have that as a buffer. And yeah.
Speaker 4: So unfortunately though, and as cost of living obviously hit, I kind of kept turning a bit of a blind high to it, and that money unfortunately got chewed.
Speaker 5: Off a lot quicker than I would get to a bit.
Speaker 4: So I definitely to regret not going back and probably making a few changes earlier on to save us a bit of money, because yeah, we did go out and buying your car without a loan, like that's always been important to us.
Speaker 5: We never wanted a loan for a car. That was just sort of one of our values. We did that.
Speaker 4: We renovated a kitchen, which took a chunk of it out, We had to pay off a heck's dead, a few things like that, So it did get chewed up pretty quickly by a few bigger things as well. Like it's amazing how quickly money can diminish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it feels like it just like falls through fingers. You're like, hold on, hold on, that was two hundred thousand dollars. How on earth did that get lost? And then all of a sudden you're like, hold on, you do the maths and then unfortunately the math checks out and you're like, oh that's how like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yes, unfortunately I only decided to do the maths on sort of how much like obviously I kind of knew cost of living was growing up in that sort of probably about a year there where I kind of just let our finances go, just ignored it, let the bills go up, like without really you know, checking on whether we could be getting cheaper insurance or whether we were having the best price for all our bills. Really we wanted to get sold, but I put it off for a year and I regret that immensely because we finally got it and we were paying. I think our predicted last quarterly bill was eighteen hundred dollars for the three months, and now it's looking like it'll be about three or four hundred dollars for this quarter. Now we've got solar, so it's massive difference. So they're the sort of things like I do kick myself for not doing earlier.
Speaker 2: You can't crucify yourself for not knowing.
Speaker 5: Exactly yes, so.
Speaker 2: It's wasted energy, and like we don't have time for that. So tell me how are you now? Because that's a lot Like you got to the part where you know the cancer was back, your third baby was two months old.
Speaker 4: What happened so so far cancer wise, it's been clear. I'll have my next lot of scancer check ups. So they say I'm the most checked patient at the hospital in their department, And I don't know if that's a compliment.
Speaker 2: Or I don't know how i'd take that either.
Speaker 4: Neither way, It's good that they wanted to be pretty closely. So so far, so good in that regard. Just stealing with side effects still from treatment. I also am a Bracker one carrier, so the breast cancer bearing cancer gene.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the other surgeries I've had were four a bilateral preventative mistiketo me essentially, So there were complications with the first one.
Speaker 2: No, that is not what you deserve, like to make that decision to be like, all right, well, I'm going to be here for my family. I'm going to be here for my kids. I'm going to have this very life changing surgery that is preventative. And then they messed that up. Are you kidding? That is rude?
Speaker 5: Right, So I had to go and do it all over again.
Speaker 4: They had to reput these expanders that were called in and about seven weeks ago I had the actual Finally, almost year later, had the expanders replaced for the implants. So hopefully most of that surgery now out of the way, and then just last week I had the other preventative surgery for the Brakawe gene, which is a radical hysterectomy.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that one was from with me. It was like a week notice, so that one was a lot more to come to terms with.
Speaker 2: Why was it sprung on you? Was it just like the public system or like, by the way, we've got a spot or that. Yeah, okay, sort of.
Speaker 4: So I did sign the paperwork like two years ago to consent to the surgery, but it was all decided hormone wise and everything. It's best to do the other surgeries first, so it was kind of put off. And then it actually changed apartments within the hospital, so it was a bit of a crazy kind of thing and they could get me in sooner. We discussed the end of May, but when they called, they said, no, there's theater closures. Then when it's called in flu season, we put things on hold. So it's either now or probably the end of the year.
Speaker 2: You're all, well, let's go, they say, my first radio Yeah, because.
Speaker 4: In a monthst all that I actually taught the end of last year was like right, like, we really need some more income here with chewing through that savings and I applied for a temporary job for the election doing some admin assistant work.
Speaker 5: And I got that.
Speaker 4: So I started that earlier this year, which was awesome, and then when I found out i'd be having the first surgery, I thought, well, it'll probably be like in line with the election and I'll probably be finished.
Speaker 5: But they were really they were amazing.
Speaker 4: They said, no, just let us know when you're ready to come back, if there's things you can do without heavy lifting, things like that, like, we can get you back when you're ready.
Speaker 5: But then literally the day before I was meant.
Speaker 4: To go back is when I I've got the phone call to say we're going to do this next surgery next week. So I ended up pretty well having to quit because by the time that's the surgery recovery period's over, obviously you've had the election now and there was a little bit of work after it. But yes, it's pretty much lined up with that. So unfortunately, it was an incredible job and I was loving it and I had to, yeah, leave that one. So the one positive though, is now it's all out of the way, I can hopefully finally a little bit of time and the ability now to actually get a job and maybe actually start a career.
Speaker 2: I just feel like that is a lot for one person to carry. How are you, like, because that's a lot to go through, my friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, there's been a lot, to be honest, sometimes I think I probably just ignored this blitter.
Speaker 5: Just ignore it associate. Probably not the best thing to do.
Speaker 4: But no, I'm pretty good considering like I grew up. My mum had cancer my whole childhood and past when I was quite young as well. So as much as that was rrible, it kind of put a lot of things in perspective for me and to seeing her go through it, and she was so incredibly strong and resilient. I think that set me up to be in much the same mindset. Really, as terrible as it is.
Speaker 2: No, but that's also just like so nice to have had like a positive role model in that space. And like I'm not saying that that is good, like it is really not. I'm so sorry your mum went through that, but I can see how that must be really, I guess soothing in a way to be like, okay, cool, Like I really resonate with my mum, like she's not around anymore, but I really feel her presence, and I really feel like I'm guided by how she acted, and that's kind of, in a way, morbidly beautiful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Like, Yeah, a lot of the time people do ask how I do it or how I cope, and it's just you just do. Like it's with any challenge life throws at you, I suppose you kind of you don't have a choice.
Speaker 5: You just have to find a way through it.
Speaker 4: But I think the biggest thing has been that I've been able to find that you're I suppose in you know, having three kids and watching them grow as much as it's also been incredibly difficult, especially all my husband as well, because he's been working full.
Speaker 5: Time, doing a lot of caring for me a.
Speaker 4: Lot of the kids, like carry the kids and you know, cleaning and things. So I mean through that year last year where we had that extra money in the bank account, we had a weekly cleaner, and they're the sort of things that probably did you have that money, which I don't regret because it did make take a lot of file plates and in that time. But yeah, it's when you go back and you kind of scan the bank accounts and you're like, how did all this money disappear and you go, Okay, there's all these little things that just add up and yeah, so we've had to really reassess that now, So.
Speaker 2: What does life look like moving forward? Because I'm assuming having a full by ladder all masterectomy and also a full hysterectomy. Stuff doesn't end there. Like there would be a lot of like hormone replacement therapy and things that you need to go through moving forward. And I'm glad on the like mistectomy side of things, like you've gone through the expanders and now you've got your plans, Like what are the next steps when it comes to your health now, I.
Speaker 4: Mean there's still a few I've got a couple of other underlying conditions. So for me, it'll be I mean, even with my cancer, it's pretty much a lifelong monitoring.
Speaker 5: For that one.
Speaker 4: It is one of the few cancers that's actually more likely to come back over time, so the likelihood of it coming back increases each year. So I'll be monitored for life for that. So we kind of know that I'm always going to have a bit of that medical scans and you know that big portion it's just sort of sitting there.
Speaker 5: Always going to be a part of my life.
Speaker 4: So I think I've kind of confident with the fact that I will probably struggle to ever work full time, both with the amount of medical appointments I have and also with the level of fatigue and other symptoms are now our experience is that it's probably not going to be practical unless I can can find the right job.
Speaker 5: I suppose, you know, nothing's impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, But yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think I've come to tensify, especially well I've got young kids taking that pressure of wanting to find a full time job and career.
Speaker 5: Like, I think the hardest thing is that I'd.
Speaker 4: Really like to start a career, but I just I suppose I don't really know how to do that going into something part time. So I feel like so many jobs are full time and totally understandable as to why, especially when entering them. So I think, especially with anything in my background, I suppose so or anywhere I have transferable skills because I don't necessarily want to go back to sales or anything like that. I'd really like to start something new and kind of Yeah, but if I've learned anything is that you never really know what's around the corner anyway. So I think both with money and me thinking probably a year and a half ago, they oh, yes, we don't have to worry about money anymore.
Speaker 5: We've got this money enough savores account.
Speaker 4: We've got that buffer to now kind of having a terrible wake up call like okay, that buffer can disappear quickly if you're not careful, and now having to go back into a bit more like living to paycheck to paycheck kind of levels of you know, scrutinizing how much money we're spending, being savvy those sorts of things, less impulsi wittnesses, which I'm very good at. But yes, I think there's a lot of things I realized, like, yeah, money comes and goes, things will come out of nowhere. We did make one investment in a business that we still have that money sitting there, so we know we've got.
Speaker 5: That kind of buffer as well.
Speaker 4: So that's yeah, Like I feel like we've done like a few good decisions and then we've made a few poor decisions, but hopefully in the longer term even out and we can just kind of sit somewhere in the middle and at least be comfortable. And yeah, so I don't really know what the future holds is very much a question mark.
Speaker 5: But yeah, just take it each day.
Speaker 2: And I don't like each week really as it comes so totally. So tell me a little bit more about your babies. How old are they? How are they doing? Like there's three of them, you lucky duck.
Speaker 4: Yes, they're pretty good. My eldest is now seven and she so she's in school. My middle daughter is about to tend five in ten days, I think, so she'll start midyear reception.
Speaker 5: That's what we call it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like kinder here. I think like prep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's called different everywhere. And then my son, he is two, and he is.
Speaker 4: Like I reckon, he could put Johnny Knox with a shame like his. There's a reason I've started to go so great since he was born.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's any of the hell stuff. I think it's the fact that he probably always gives me multiple heart attacks a day.
Speaker 2: He was born to do pakol.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll be very good at that, one hundred percent. Always jumping off things he should have been On Easter, he fell down like a couple of steps onto the concrete, gone up and kept running. I was like, I think we should probably like it.
Speaker 5: You checked like not. He was just often going like.
Speaker 2: He's not faved by anything that cute, Like, yeah, I feel like my son Harvey's probably had a call from your son and been like this is how we do it. Because there's a running joke in my family that there's always something going on with Harvey, like he's always got like a bump on his head or a scratch or something, because he just he doesn't stop. Like the second this kid learned to walk, he was like walking, I'm going to run into things, like just ran full pelt at literally everything, and you're just like, why do you have no level of self preservation? Like none?
Speaker 5: Right, I know they don't, like no sense of like fear.
Speaker 2: Really he falls over like your son and I just go, are you all right? And he's like running off in the other direction, and you're like that looks like it could have been a concussion exactly.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have too many of those moments or my daughters will like to eat him on as well. To be honest, he's less scared of climbing play equipment playgrounds than my middle daughter is, Like no fear at all, but his absolute joy, like it makes us laugh constantly, just also levels that out with a little bit of fear and terror at the same time.
Speaker 5: Anxiety.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, So talk to me, what big money goals do you have at the moment? I feel like we've talked a lot about money, but like what are your goals? What are you currently working towards?
Speaker 5: So we like to do a.
Speaker 4: Lot of DIY renovating. That was a big part of the reason. Like I love property, I always have. And while I recovering this time around, I got back into watching a few like Selling Houses Australia and other renovation shows, so I've now got myself back into the mindset.
Speaker 5: I also watched a movie that really inspired me.
Speaker 2: What was it.
Speaker 5: It's called The Life List, I think.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, the Life List.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it inspired me so much to kind of revisit, especially having cancer, like the person I was pre cancer, but also younger me, and like what I really wanted to do and where I've kind of ended up versus that, And I kind of realized my goals were really properly related or I always really wanted to be interior designer. People always said you're so creative why did you end up going into business?
Speaker 5: Like why did you go for that business side? And I like both, to be honest, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: I could see maybe a bit of study to try and get me into maybe something bit more creative or residential drafting, like maybe something sort of similar but different, and hopefully get myself a job would probably go number one. But also, yeah, we've been doing a lot of renovating in both our previous house and this house. And we've always said though that we want to own maybe like a bit of landist and me acreage, and my dream's always been to like own a B and B. So that's the kind of probably next goal at some point, And really I think that would be ideal having some sort of passive income if my health does ever turn around again, having something that we kind of can keep running relatively easily, especially because whenever I do need.
Speaker 5: To be at home a lot, like at least already.
Speaker 4: Be be there, I suppose. So that's probably our other longer term goal. Definitely not in the short term. Still got a lot of probably saving and pivoting to do. We factored in things like a couple of games tax so we because we lived in our last house, we didn't need to pay I think like the seven year rule.
Speaker 5: I think it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you would have got like a seven year exemption. Did you own it for more than seven years? Yeah, yeah, so there would be like a little bit of CGT payable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then we sold it like within a year, I think, So we didn't really have it as.
Speaker 5: A rental for very long at all.
Speaker 4: So but now if we sell this house within seven years, we have to pay capital gains on this house.
Speaker 5: So I always have that in the back of my mind.
Speaker 2: We maybe want to hold it for a little bit longer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. So this is a much bigger house on a much smaller block.
Speaker 4: So my husband lost his shed and a few things like that, which he would really love to have back as a.
Speaker 5: Big shared or something.
Speaker 4: So I suppose and the kids we have enough few but it's not as big as what we had before, so I.
Speaker 5: Think a lot of us.
Speaker 4: We only have three bedrooms for the girls share, so I think there's a few things there we would eventually, you know, the next few years, like to probably get a bit more space.
Speaker 2: But I like that you're thinking about it as well, and you're clearly thinking about it relatively strategically, because I don't think a lot of people think about that CGT rule. They don't go, okay, cool, we got an exemption on the first property, which means we need to wait for seven years for the second property. They're probably listening to this going, oh, I didn't know that was a thing, And that means that I can see your strategy brain working out what's going on and like what your next move might look like.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've always said, at least if I didn't end up in a property job or career, that that degree has already paid itself off in the knowledge I had around purchasing and selling and capital gaze like all that sort of stuff. Like that knowledge in itself has definitely helped, not to say that you have to study a property degree to kind of be able to do well in property, of course, by any means, but it definitely helped.
Speaker 2: No, but you don't know what you don't know. Having the benefit of understanding is very helpful. Money dis let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, I want to talk a little bit more about investing and debt and then like what your best and worst money habits are so don't go anywhere, all right, money Dice. We are back and you I feel like your life has been an absolute roller coaster, like and it's probably felt like that from your perspective, and you are so positive, like you are literally so like oh no, Like I I've just come to terms with it. I asked you how you're doing. She's like, yeah, I'm fine, kind of burying my head in this sad like how you are carrying this, I don't know, And it like reminds me of that quote like just because it's heavy doesn't mean it's easy to carry. And I think a lot of people think that, you know, Oh well, she says, it's fine, like it must be. Like I just I'm in awe of you, Like I'm just like, can we go off coffee or something when I'm in the same state, Like I just want to be friends with you just seem like a hustler, like even to be like, oh cool, Like I went ahead and just had a biladd or a mastectomy, and I also had a full hysterectomy. Like those are giant surgeries, and I know to have made that decision that wasn't a like oh yeah, I would love to do that. It was a oh, I'm going to do that for my kids like you one thousand percent weren't thinking about you in those moments, And I just go, this person is a person I want to know better. Like she's just she's just wholesome. She's the type of people that you want to be surrounded by. Right, But we are getting to talk to you about your journey and about money and it's a privilege. But talk to me about investing, because I feel like you've got a strategy brain do you invest? What does that look like? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: Well, I suppose with my background having studied property, my love of property previously, our investment was really largely based around property.
Speaker 5: My goal for a long long time was to.
Speaker 4: Kind of purchase a house, renovate it, keep it as a mental move on, purchase another one, kind of keep working ourselves up, use the equity.
Speaker 5: But unfortunately life kind of made that tricky.
Speaker 4: And then obviously with COVID and the housing market and interest rates, that all kind of happened as well and made it very hard. I really wanted to kind of get to the goal of having three property so that we'd have one three kind of each old they could either live in it or so I thought whatever they wanted to do. That was kind of in the back of my mind is like that was my goal.
Speaker 5: And then that obviously.
Speaker 4: Became a bit unattainable, and it was a little bit hard to break away from that and realize that that's, at least for this point in our life, it's not achievable.
Speaker 5: But then we kind of pivoted.
Speaker 4: So I feel like I'm still relatively even though I did study a fair bit of business and investment, I still feel like I know very very little about shares in the share market, and you know, really any other form of investing. We were lucky enough to stumble across an acquaintance that was starting a business. We were able to invest in that business for her to kind of set up her like premises, and it actually paid off for us as well as we're getting a ten percent return on that money. And then we also got free swimming lessons out of it for three kids, which if anyone has kids, known swimming lessons are not cheap, so that saved us so much money. And yeah, so it's been pretty cool to have kind of done that. We started to get our returns and stuff back that that period's almost almost finished.
Speaker 5: So we were a bit like, oh my gosh, what do we do, Like is this the right thing to do for us?
Speaker 4: It paid off, and we were pretty key. I don't know if we'll go down much more business investing, but.
Speaker 2: I'm glad because you're right, like in some of those situations, it just goes barey up and people were just like, oh my goodness, like I wish I never and we destroyed our relationship and like it becomes dramatic, but I'm just well, luckily we weren't.
Speaker 4: I suppose, like I don't think I'd ever do it with someone close like family, all close friends, because yeah, I could see that was my fear. But luckily we were far enough apart that we didn't have to worry too much about that. And because it was also going towards property, we also had the added like kind of security that that could be sold off. Like I think most others, I probably wouldn't have gone ahead. I would have been like that would have been too risky for me. But because we knew we had that buffer, it was all in the contract and everything that if for some reason something went wrong, the property be sold off when we get paid back, So.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that worked out as well.
Speaker 4: I've got to like really recently started. I actually downloaded shares Is as per your recommendation, and we've only got not very much money in there, but it's starting to kind of grow each week. I just put a little bit in there, like literally only sixty dollars, like I'm talking like, I've only been very very cautious, trying to learn things, like trying to get my head around it all.
Speaker 2: I feel like you, of all people are going to love Ariits would your real estate investment trusts, like that's where you want to live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's still very new, but I think especially going forward, because I do like that we can just gradually add to it. It's not something like property where you really need to have a big lot of money and really a lot on the line, a lot at stake, and a lot more stress. Really, I suppose in managing even if you're not managing the property, there's still a lot that kind of goes on that you have to worry about, make decisions if maintenance issues come up.
Speaker 5: I think we probably.
Speaker 4: Did have a slightly more difficult experience, probably than many people have. But I think going forward, yeah, property wouldn't be the top of our list personally anymore. I think anything that's easy is kind of my life model at this point, whether it be food preparation or cleaning the house or investing it is, whatever's nice and simple totally.
Speaker 2: So talk to me about debt. Because you currently own the property that you live in. What does that look like?
Speaker 4: So we do have a mortgage still on this house, so we put all of the money originally that we had into we've had it in the homelands so we could offset someone of the interest, but we did redraw that back down and so we're still sitting probably with about a four.
Speaker 5: Hundred thousand dollars loan. I think I've put of my head.
Speaker 4: The property now would be worth around eight to fifty so I know eventually we'll have a bit of equity sitting in it, which I'm pretty keen for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so nice because I know that your plan is to go to a bigger property and get a little bit more space, and like, maybe this is part of your investing strategy, and you might get to keep hold of this property and lease it out and then make your way back to planning on having three properties for your kids, Like I don't see that as too far out of reach one.
Speaker 5: Day, Yes, exactly. That's if I've learned anything.
Speaker 4: It's just that nothing's impossible, even if it just might be finding a different way of there, or even if you decide to change strategies, like, there's nothing wrong with that. So I had to kind of come to terms with the fact that, yeah, property wasn't going to be our main thing at least for a little while, and that was very hard for me to break out of that very set mindset in my head. But I realized, look, it really doesn't matter. Like we felt like a bit of a failure after selling it after and having it as an investment for a year, and we kind of eventually realized, like I think it was our broker that sort of said, look, you've just got to do what you've got to do at that time, Like, just because you make a decision doesn't mean you have to stick with it if it doesn't work out. There's nothing wrong with that, and that goes for you know, most things in life. So I think that was a bit hard to get my head around, but I've definitely accepted that more now, so I think, yeah. Otherwise, debt wise, We've always tried to not really have too much debt. Every now and then I do get myself into a bit of an after pay trap, which I did do again when we were renovating and then over Christmas, so I'm trying to get that gone. So yeah, I think that's really about it. And hex So we paid out my husband's HEXTT. We had to pay it out to get our loan for this current house. We wouldn't get aproved without paying that out, so we paid his out. But I still have mine, which Viz, I find quite frustrating because I've watched it grow and grow and grow like crazy and not.
Speaker 5: Being able to work and really paid off.
Speaker 4: So we literally put like I think it's forout ten dollars a week into it at the moment, just to try and slowly chip out it or to completely keep going up. It's probably really only covering the extra sort of CPI increases.
Speaker 2: But and I mean, elbows just come back in and he promised to give all of us a very nice hex cut, so I'm sure you're looking forward to that.
Speaker 5: I very much am. When I saw that I was like, oh, yes, please.
Speaker 2: Yes, please, that'll take a little bit of pressure off. I mean, I don't know, shout out to albow would be okay if you just get rid of all of our hex stets completely, Like we don't want a discount, we just want you to get rid of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love you, I love you. I would not complain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there are main debts. We don't have any others.
Speaker 4: We've never had a credit card, so I'm probably kind of glad because I don't think I could trust myself with a credit card.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's fair, that's fair. I feel like for everything that you have just shared with us, that you've gone through, like, girl, you are in a good position still, Like it's clear that you are very intelligent, like and I think everyone can hear it, Like the way that you're speaking. I'm like this woman, she's smart, smart, like she knows her shit. Like I know that you said, oh yeah, like I can't believe two hundred grand got away from me, and like that could feel a bit silly, but like I'm sorry, two hundred grand didn't get away from you. You already explained was a kitchen. You know, you bought a new car because you didn't want debt. I don't know if you know this, but you went through a very very very significant health event and to come out still owning your house massive win. Like I think that we really undervalue being financially stable when coming out of these situations, like so many times, like I see families financially ruined. And this is why I am so passionate about insurance, Like I just I want to jump up and down about it consistently and be like, these things happen, Like you're listening to this money darist who has three small babies, Like I can almost guarantee that when you found out, oh I'm pregnant for the first time, that wasn't on your Bingo card, Like that wasn't the plan. That wasn't you were like, all right, well take a bit of time, because you know, we can have a baby and then I can be you know, a career girl in property. And it just that's not the way the cookie crumbled. And I think that it does remind you consistently, Yes, insurances are important, but like, yes, a career would be so nice, but like time with your family, like that is the most important thing. And like the decisions that you're making, especially around your health, Like I can tell that you just care so much about your babies and your husband and putting them first. Because of the decisions you're making are not small, Like that's a massive life changing thing, and like that's a lot, and I'm just I'm so glad they have you, like they're so lucky.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I really don't think that there's moments where I'm probably a little bit too too cranky or too high maintenance.
Speaker 2: Well wait until they're teenagers. They won't say that. They won't say that, but like, live in the moment for now exactly. I want to know. I feel like you know with your DIY renovating, and like you seem pretty savvy. What do you think your best money habit is?
Speaker 5: Well, that is a good question.
Speaker 4: I feel like my best money habit is also sometimes my worst money habit in a way in that I have spent an awful lot of time, probably because I also have had a lot of time perfecting when things go on sale, for example, so like I know exactly per one hundred sheets, what I'm willing to spend on toilet paper, so I won't buy if it's less than you know, whatever it is, one hundred sheets. It's the same with things like Peter Alexander sounds. I've decided we're going to splurge on some pajamas, I know exactly when to wait. So yeah, like I've worked all these little hacks out, and I do not buy like anything full price. I genuinely get this way if I have to buy something full price. But obviously in times in the past, that has led to buying things that I probably didn't need, and therefore, you know, spending money that I didn't need to spend just because I save some money.
Speaker 5: So I am very aware of that. But at the same time, I now have a.
Speaker 4: List on my phone of things that I know we will need coming up, and then I keep a bit of an eye out. So that's been able to curb that a little bit in the sense of overspending. So I think I have, yeah, spent a lot of time perfecting it, to be honest, But I know all different stores, you know when their sales are most likely to happen. When, Yeah, a lot of stores go on sale around like the click frenzy times or like after Payday.
Speaker 5: And even though even if I'm not really using those platforms.
Speaker 4: I still know that there'll be a lot of good sales and a lot of the time I won't buy anything unless it's even like a further percentage off the sale price. But you do obviously run a lot of risks if you might if there's something you really want and you wait that long, it might not be there. It might not be acide you need those sort of things. But I'm pretty okay with that. And yeah, to be honest, I've probably waste a lot of my time doing that, which sometimes drives me nuts. And I'll shot across like supermarket specials each week, for example, which can just waste time. So sometimes if when I have been working and a bit time for I'm more likely to buy things at higher prices.
Speaker 5: But I'm okay with.
Speaker 4: That, because you know, convenience, Yeah, exactly, So I've had to balance that out. But I dare say that the amount of effort and time I put into making sure we don't overpay for anything at all has been yeah, other than maybe at the time there with bills.
Speaker 5: I don't like bills. I'll ignore bills.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like that's fair. So what do you think your worst money happened? Is is it that?
Speaker 4: Probably? I would dare say I've had different worse money home. Its like, for a while there it was I just would eat takeout or coffees for that year we had that money sitting in the bank account without even thinking about it. And I think for a while there I just got way with purchases and that I've rained right in. So let's say, yeah, currently, probably I just always feels like so much if it having to go and change and make phone calls. I hate making phone calls to try and see if we can get things lower or this and that. So I dare say, yeah, that at this point probably is my worst habit because I just really avoid it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I hate making phone calls as well. But when you get on a roll and you get one, yes, You're like, I could get the rest of them. I'm going to keep going on this, So I feel like I need to like push you a little bit to go, why don't you just do like the car insurance and then see what happens?
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, you know.
Speaker 4: I do find like if I make one full phone call on like, yeah, okay, I'm in the right energy and rights metal state now and I'll just make the whole ether frind calls.
Speaker 2: I hate making phone calls. I just don't like it. Like, if there is an option to email someone, I've already emailed you. But that's exactly how we're communicating money diarist. At the start of this episode, I said, what's your money grade? And you said, look, I reckon, I'm like middle ground. I think I'm I don't know. I want to kind of like argue with you on that because I think you're just you're better than a sea. But I'm not gonna argue with you because like that would be bored alone disrespectful. So I want to know as someone who's gone through the journey that you've gone through, and you have three beautiful babies and a loving husband, and you've bought property and sold property, and you've clearly got some good equity in the one that you've got, and like I know that you said, look, we went through that figure really quickly and we lost the buffer that we had. Like I don't think that defines it. I think that you actually used it how you your bloody needed to use it at the time, Like that's exactly what your family needed. Like, yes, you could have done something else with it, But at what cost, Like at the cost of not having the comfort during a really stressful period of time, at the cost of not having somebody that came through and cleaned your house and took away that mental load, and the cost of all of those other things. Right, do you genuinely think after having this conversation you're like, oh, V, I still think I'm as see.
Speaker 4: No, I must say I do, like after you've pointed out a couple of things, I definitely don't feel as bad about it as I probably did.
Speaker 2: Again, Look, I'm glad. I'm very glad, but.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know if I'd put me in an A, but I'd at least helped me out to a bee.
Speaker 2: We can be a bee. But what in your eyes is like an A? Like what would that take to get you there? Is that you owning those three properties for your kids and like, you know, having paid off all of your hecks in doing all of those things, or is it like a mindset? What does that look like?
Speaker 4: I think for me at the moment, I would feel a bit more like the A if we could, like, I feel like I've got a few like another short term goals. At the moment, we are expending still a little bit over my husband's wage, so I'd really like to get that at least to begin with, back to like breaking even that what we're spending is the same as his wage, so we'd not kind of going into that savings. That would be my first kind of I think if we got to there, i'd feel a little bit like we were getting closer to that A. But I think longer term, to do that and be saving, then i'd be happy. Like, I don't think I necessarily need to get to those three properties to feel like I'm at the A. I just think I like to at least know that we are either saving or investing just a little bit to begin with, Like I'd be happy with that. I'd still obviously have the longer term goals. But if we were able to ye just manage us spending enough that we just were at least saving a little, I think I'd be happy and at that paid point for us anyway.
Speaker 2: I can get behind that, and I feel like you're perfectly on truck for that, Like that is not that far off. I feel like with your brain, like I can just see that you've got lots of places to be and lots of places to go. Money dist It has been an absolute privilege to learn more about you, about your journey, and like the idea that you're happy for me to share your journey with our community so that they can learn and they can you know, be better at money because you were so willing to share. I'm obsessed, like, thank you. It is really really valuable, and I'm just I'm very grateful that we got to cross parts.
Speaker 5: No, thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Of course, Oh my gosh, I've adored this.
Speaker 6: The advice sheared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not.
Speaker 2: Consider your individual circumstances.
Speaker 6: She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper Pty LTD ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine