Speaker 1: Already and this is this is the daily This is the daily ohs oh, now it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Good morning and welcome to the Daily OS. It's Monday, the twenty seventh of May.
Speaker 1: I'm Zara, I'm Sam.
Speaker 2: Each week we hear more and more about how AI is changing the world, whether that be for better or for worse.
Speaker 3: Artificial intelligence has become so advanced it has now surpassed human performance on several basic tasks.
Speaker 1: Some of the news you read is being written by AI, and you wouldn't know it.
Speaker 2: Now, one of the biggest news companies in the world, News Corp, has signed a new deal with one of the biggest AI companies in the world, Open Ai, and the idea is to better train its AI bots with news corps and news reports. Now, while we don't know the details of the deal, it's understood to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. In today's podcast, we're going to talk talk about that new deal, how the broader industry is dealing with the growth of AI, and what comes next. Before that, ZAM, what's making headlines.
Speaker 1: Over six hundred and seventy people are believed to have died in a landslide in Papua New Guinea. According to estimates released by the UN's International Organization for Migration, the landslide occurred in the remote village of Calcalam on Friday. As a major rescue operation continues, Prime Minister Anthony Albernesi said Australia stands ready to assist. US. President Joe Biden also committed to delivering humanitarian assistance and disaster relief to the region.
Speaker 2: Optus is being taken to court over a twenty twenty two data breach which saw around ten thousand customers personal details published online. The Australian Communications and Media Authority AKMA are taking Optis to court on the grounds that the telecommunications company failed to protect the confidentiality of its customer personal information. The media watchdog said the matter is now before the court.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, the International Court of Justice ordered Israel to quote immediately halt its military offensive in Rufa in southern Gaza. More than eight hundred thousand Palestinians have been forced to flee parts of Raffa in recent weeks as Israel conducts military strikes in the area. The ICJS said the humanitarian situation in Rafa should now be categorized as quote disastrous. In response to the ruling, Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it quote has not and will not conduct military operations in the Raffa area, which may inflict on the Palestinian civilian population in Gaza conditions of life that could bring about its physical destruction.
Speaker 2: And today's good news, the European Space Agency has given the world a first glimpse of the dark universe with new images showing distant clusters and galaxies. The Euclid telescope captured what it called a treasure trial of unprecedented discoveries. It's part of a mission that will work towards mapping billions of galaxies and researching the formation of the universe. And now we're going to take a quick break and then the deep dive. NewsCorp and OpenAI, which is the tech company that created chat GPT, have signed a multi year content deal. NewsCorp, of course, is a multinational media and publishing company founded by none.
Speaker 3: Other than Rupert Murdock. We are familiar, We are familiar.
Speaker 2: It owns several international several feels like an understatement, many many plethora international and domestic titles, including The Wall Street Journal, the Australian News, dot com dot Au. If we keep going, we will be here all day, but many many titles now under a new partnership, News Corpse content will be used to respond to chat GPT's user questions. News Corps CEO Robert Thompson said the deal will set new standards for voracity, for virtue and for value in the digital age.
Speaker 1: So this was really big news last week, not just in media circles but in general news. Before we go any further into the deal, can we just go back and explain exactly what open ai is. It's chatjbt, right it is.
Speaker 2: So. It was launched by Sam Altman, who we have dedicated many a podcast too, and Tesla owner Elon Musk, who we have similarly dedicated many a podcast too. It was launched in twenty fifteen and the company's state admission was to benefit humanity as a whole. As you said, open Ai is most known for launching the conversational chatbot chat GPT, and that can generate things like essays and poems and travel itineries if you're mean and going on your honeymoon.
Speaker 1: It was crazy you told me last week that you asked chat GPT the best route for your honeymoon, and it.
Speaker 2: Gave me I'm lazy and I don't have time, and my chatbut gives me everything.
Speaker 1: And my chatj BT hack of the week has been if you upload a screenshot of a game into chat GPT, it will give you the code to build that game. I mean we're talking here about terrifying. We're talking here about really powerful software. I mean amongst our friends, most people are using it for things like writing speeches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, holidays, every wedding speech we have been to.
Speaker 2: The dad has got enough and made a joke about how chat GPT has written the wedding speech.
Speaker 1: As without fail. As with any new technology, it's working its way into our lives in weird ways. But one thing it hasn't been able to do is give us reliable news content, right Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think that US journalists have been incredibly cocky about this. You know, everyone else is fearing for their jobs and the age of AI, and yet journos haven't quite felt that in the same way. Because you know, when you go on to the current free version of chat GPT, and I went in and typed in, tell me the latest about Julian or Sanche for example, big news story. It came back with, I'm sorry for any confusion, but I can't provide real time updates or information on events occurring beyond my last training data in January twenty twenty two. And so that is going to this idea that AI to inevitably need to be fed the information from somewhere and on a recurring basis, and they need to be made smarter, and that that needs to be a reflection of the kind of ever evolving nature of information. If the last time this bot was taught about Julian Assiunge was in twenty twenty two, it's got a lot of learning to do. And so that's why this deal with news Corp is such a big deal, because basically NewsCorp has agreed to let open Ai use its content to support chat GPT's responses and its learning and to enhance the knowledge of its database and systems.
Speaker 1: So basically, in your Julian Dessinge example, it could scrape News Corps newspapers from all over the world and give you an answer in real time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And so NewsCorp, on their behalf have said that it's sharing its resources to ensure the highest journalism standards exist across open AI's products, which is interesting. On open ai side, the CEO Sam Moltman said the deal was a proud moment and he said it was setting the foundation for a future where AI deep respects.
Speaker 3: And I think that's an interesting word.
Speaker 2: We're personifying AI here enhances and upholds the standards of world class journalism.
Speaker 1: Okay, so right now News Corp is saying open ai you can have access to a significant volume of information in real time. What are they getting in return?
Speaker 3: Money?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: We don't know the specifics of the agreement because that's not been made public by either News Corp or open Ai, but NewsCorp would be getting a lot of money out of this, and we had some NewsCorp publications reporting on the deal that said could have been worth more than two hundred and fifty million US dollars, so around three hundred and eighty million Australian dollars over the next five years.
Speaker 1: So ultimately a whole new revenue stream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we know that in Australia Meta has ended its funding for news organizations, including News Corp, and that that would have left a gaping hole where those millions had been coming in from Meta and so it's interesting that NewsCorp has now kind of pivoted and is now getting that money from another tech giant, which is open Ai.
Speaker 3: The new kid on the scene.
Speaker 1: Is NewsCorp the only news company to assign a deal?
Speaker 3: They're not?
Speaker 2: I mean I can confirm that the Daily Ohs hasn't been approached for a multimillion Maybe touse Spam maybe check it after this, but no.
Speaker 3: There have been other deals met.
Speaker 2: So we know that Politico, which is a political publication and an international one, the Associated Press and French newspaper Lamond have also got agreements with open Ai.
Speaker 1: So there's clearly now a bit of a playbook for media companies that's emerging of go to the AI companies and do a deal. But are there other ways?
Speaker 2: But those are only with open Ai. That's one AI company, just to be clear.
Speaker 1: So are there other ways that news companies and AI are beginning to work each other out?
Speaker 3: I think it's a good question.
Speaker 2: I think that this is the big conversation as media companies strategized, you know, we put our heads together at our newsroom and figure out what we can do with AI. This is happening in every single company around the world. Like you can just imagine the millions being caught into getting management consultants in to come up with, you know, the next AI strategy for help company.
Speaker 1: Or in information technology.
Speaker 2: It's everywhere exactly and so obviously the News Corp deal is one way to work with AI companies and it's a fairly big step because, as I said, they're giving access to their content straight to these AI companies to make their machine learning smarter. But there are other companies taking smaller steps. Sam Here at TDA, we have been looking into, you know, for example, whether AI tools can make some video editing a bit quicker. We film every single podcast that we do. You can go watch this on YouTube if you're that way inclined, and you know, we have two cameras and are there AI tools that can switch between those cameras automatically and that takes out a bit of the manual labor that goes into editing you know, this ten minute podcast for YouTube. I mean, that's a very small step, but it's something that AI can do. When I look to the rest of the industry, I was looking around at how other media companies in Australia are dealing with it, and I saw Channel nine has recently started using a product called nine Express, and that's to reformat their TV scripts.
Speaker 3: Into digital stories.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: So Channel nine houses, of course a number of different companies underneath it, and we have the print journalism, there is a TV journalism, and then there is a digital journalism. And so in a discoimer on their website, nine says nine Express makes things easier and quicker for our producers and journalists across television and digital. They've then made really clear in how it works section how they're actually using the AI. So they say, and I quote here, a television script contains a number of technical terms in jargon so it can be used for a news report. We take this originally created script which has been written by a television reporter and producer, and then fact checked and input it into nine Express. It is then reformatted to be used as a digital tech story. It is checked again by a producer before being published. It ends by saying that nine remains committed to using new technologies in a transparent and responsible way.
Speaker 1: And in that very detailed setting out of exactly how this process is working for nine, I think you can start to identify some of the risks that are involved with AI, and for the majority of this podcast, we've talked about the opportunities that AI can present in newsrooms. But the reality is, as that nine disclaimer mentioned, there are major ethical and moral issues that arise.
Speaker 2: And you have to be responsible exactly, and we've seen some of those issues arise in other settings. So if we look internationally, at the end of last year, the New York Times launched legal action against open ai and against Microsoft, which has invested billions into open ai, for using the New York Times as news content without permission, so basically doing the news corp thing, but without any of the money or the recognition in doing so. The New York Times claimed AI generated content threatens the times as ability to provide journalism. They claimed that open ai is taking materials from The New York Times to train the AI, but they're not crediting or attributing that work to The New York Times. According to The Times, the AI chatbots seek to free ride on the Times as massive investment in its journalism by using it to build substitutive products without permission or payment.
Speaker 1: Now, the doubta in me would say the news Corp. Have gone to the table and done a deal with Open AI, and The New York Times have done things a slightly different way and broad lawsuit that could inevitably end in a deal. Yes, this is kind of true, sure roads to the same destination. But I think the bottom line here is that AI is going to be built into every industry on the planet, and news is no different. And this News Corp deal is a real big signal to the market from the biggest media company in the world that this new technology is here to stay exactly. Thanks for joining us on the Daily Ods this morning. Hope you had a wonder full weekend and you're off to a good start to your Monday. We'll be here every day this week, so we'll see you again tomorrow morning. Until then, have a good day. My name is Lily Madden and I'm a proud Arunda Bungelung Calcuttin woman from Gadigal Country. The Daily oz acknowledges that this podcast is recorded ordered on the lands of the Gadigal people and pays respect to all Aboriginal and Torrestrate island and nations. We pay our respects to the first peoples of these countries both past and present.