Speaker 1: How I Work is having a little breakover Easter, so I have hand picked one of my favorite episodes to play for you today and I will be back with new interviews from Thursday May one. When it comes to your work, do you have a sense of purpose and meaning that you can turn back to when things are hard? And how about your team? How connected are they to why their work matters? Doctor Gabriella Rosen Kellerman is an author, a Harvard trained physician, and the chief innovation officer at Better Up, and she thinks about these questions a lot. Her research with Professor Martin Seligman on Thriving in Times of uncertainty provides some really interesting insights into how we can keep thriving at work even when things are tough. In this episode, Gabriella shares why it is so important that you ensure your team has a sense of meaning, the five biggest drivers of resilience and they're probably not what you think they are, and why prospection is one of the most important leadership skills for the future. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, Doctor Amantha imber with her work it better up Ensuring quick, effective ways to come up with the most creative solutions is an essential part of Gabriella's day to day, so I wanted to find out what some of her go to rituals and habits are when she needs to be thinking creatively.
Speaker 2: So one of the strongest findings in creativity research around individual differences is this personality tape. That's openness to experience. So people who sort of wander around feeling wide eyed about the world, and I feel very blessed that I have that personality tape. My father's a great exact sample of that to me. He wanders around the world noticing things and asking questions, and he can have a conversation with anyone and feel genuinely curious and like you really learn something new. And I do feel that way a lot of the time. I don't take it for granted. And as I've learned more about how to help people become more creative, a lot of it is how do you grow more into embracing some of the practices that constitute openness to experience. When I'm trying to be really deliberate about this, if I'm starting on a new topic in a new area I want to learn more about. I try to read broadly about it, so I will try to get, you know, the canonical books and textbooks, but then also try to reach back into my own memory bank of things that might be tangentially related. They may not themselves end up being useful, but they might be a bridge to something else that's useful, or they might just sort of awaken a part of my brain that wasn't paying attention to the topic that now can be engaged and connecting. And when we think about the default mode network, which is this daydreaming network, it's where all these rich ideas about creativity come from, somewhat non consciously and spontaneously. We know that it's putting ideas together, it's associating and creating these sort of moments of what we call in our book integration integrative creativity. And the richer we can fertilize the soil of that default network with thinking broadly, with new experiences, with curiosity leading us around unpredictable corners, the more surprising those associations can be, and therefore the more creative. So that's some of what I think I naturally do and understanding the science has helped me make sense of why that's useful.
Speaker 1: What else do you do, particularly when you've got a really tight timeline, as is often the case with work projects, what you need to think creatively, have the kind of different ways of flipping that creative each on the daring tych lung.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I love to source ideas from lots of different people. So I have people I'll go to in my network who again might be very directly related or maybe tangentially related, or maybe it's just like a very close friend that I know will always take my call and talk to me about something. And as we do that, we're now opening up think about the network and how it's exponentially growing with every person that we talk to in the nodes they're able to access. So now the surface area of those ideas has just grown so much so quickly. Through that, one of the ideas we plant for leaders in the book is can you bring into a brainstorm with your team someone who's a really divergent, out of the box thinker in general, just someone who can push, even in a time limited way, they can really push the ceiling of what's an acceptable level of divergence. For the people in the room, to get them to go a little more out of their comfort zone, get a little bit bolder with their ideas. Those are often the kinds of people I might reach out to and just get them thinking about things. And look, people like puzzles. We like to solve puzzle. So if you can position your creative challenge as a puzzle, people want to get engaged and think about it, and they might email you two weeks later with a new ideas a Gabrielle.
Speaker 1: It's something that I often do when I'm trying to think creatively is I will just take myself away from my computer screen, which is generally where I'm trying to type my ideas into, and I will just go for a walk and it will be a technology free walk, just to force my brain to just be expansive and you know, not constrained to just the incoming stimulus that might be On the podcast, I'm listening to what science is there behind that approach? And if there is science, I'm curious, is this something you do as well?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and yes. So I'll start with the science and then I'll tell you about how I do it. So now there's three networks involved in in creativity, the department network which I mentioned this daydreaming network, the executive control network, which is the network that's sort of I tell you to remember the name of the street you grew up on. That's the one that helps you do that. And then we have the salience network, which is sort of like when you hear a siren in the background. It's the one that gets you to pay attention that it draws your attention from one thing to another. So we think that the way this works is something like the following. You get a creative challenge at work, you start working on it with the executive control network with your team, put it aside, you go out and you grab your lunch. Now your daydreaming network's working on it. Even when you're not consciously trying to. You might have a surprising association that comes up that's actually quite useful. Your salience network picks it up, says, ah aha, there's an important idea here. Let's pay attention. And it brings it back to the executive control network. When we are too digitally connected and we're checking our email and we're on messengers and we're checking the news, we're staying in the executive control network. We're not letting ourselves get into the default mode network where that daydreaming happens. The richest daydreaming happens when we're on autopilot. As an executive control network, we are active, so we're not just lying and staring at the ceiling, but we're not using our kind of working memory. We're not paying close attention to something, so you can have what you just describe, that beautiful sense of daydreaming and kind of flow my whole life, I have practiced observing a twenty four hour technology sabbath, from sundown on Friday night to sundown on Saturday. We do that in my family. It's I think, been really helpful in creating a less dependency on devices. But for sure, the richness of the thinking and the ideas that happen when you can unplug from devices is really powerful. And you know, it's one of the many ways in which these devices are changing the ways we function as human beings in a way that is not how we evolved, and it's in some ways depriving us of some of these really rich, meaningful, beautiful experiences that just got interrupted by the constant busyness of the divisis.
Speaker 1: Trying a digital sabbath is something I've experimented with, and I don't do it for a twenty four hour period, but on the times where I've done it for several hours, it's quite amazing just how your brain opens up in ways that just don't seem possible when you're connected, particularly to your phone. You know, so much of the day. Something I would love to delve into is around purpose and meaning and mattering. And I found this such an interesting part of tomorrow Mind because I feel like most companies talk a lot about purpose these days. But then I loved the things that you said around meaning and mattering. So to start, can you just share what those three concepts are, and then we might delve deeper into them.
Speaker 2: So meaning is what my coatho Marty Salomon calls a flabby concept.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: There's a lot of different meanings to the word meaning. The psychologist Michael Steger has this definition that there's three different components to meaning. There's purpose, there's coherence, and there's significance. So significance is that my life has meaning. There's some significance to me being here. Coherence is this idea that there's a greater integrity of my actions with something larger that it all somehow fits together. And purpose is that there's something bigger than I'm kind of working toward and pushing for. Mattering is what we think of as like a very bare minimum level of significance, whereby I feel that the labor I'm putting out there in the world is for a purpose. It's seen and it's not fornt and at a clinical psychological level. And people lose a sense of mattering, they can't even get out of bed to start the day, right, So the extreme end of not mattering is depression in the workplace. Some of our professions, some of our labors are meaningful in a colloquial sense of they might be attached to, let's say, as a healthcare provider saving a person's life, and some of us are doing labors that feel much more removed from immediate meaningful impact for other human beings, for sense of integrity, for service to the planet. As managers, whatever we're asking people to do, we need them to be able to feel that their labors have registered to us, that they matter, that we see them doing that thing that is the bare minimum of a person continuing to be motivated, to keep putting in the effort day after day. And in this day and age when we are as managers are very often asking people, Hey, that thing that you work so hard on for six months, remember that, stop doing that thing and start doing this totally different thing because the industry change, the world changed, what the market change, whatever it was. That's a crisis of mattering. That's a crisis where the employee is asked themselves, why did I just do that for six months? And why is it going to matter for me to do this next thing? So that's where we define the sort of bare minimum of what a manager needs to do to help people stay motivated, and really what we owe people if we're asking them to work on something, we owe it to them to witness that work and to have it be seen and to have them feel that that was not all for not How.
Speaker 1: Do you approach that as a later in terms of remembering that, Because there's so much to remember and to do to be a great leader these days, I feel like their responsibilities are greater than ever. It seems very basic, but I can imagine that a lot of ladies don't do it. How do you think about it in your role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, I think about it all the time and every time I share this insight and this idea of as managers, when we ask people to pivot, I think about at that exact moment, where am I asking my team to pivot and where do I need to remind to go back and do this. So I do try to pay attention to it most at these pivot moments. I try to pay attention to it. When we are reading out on metrics and performance. You know that's a moment where your team might miss a metric, but it might be a for a reason that was out of their control or despite the fact that there was a lot of effort that was put in, And so how do you witness the effort? How do you witness the intent even while helping the team grow and evolve to the next chapter. So I try to narrate the utility of the effort as much as I can when I know that we're shifting away from or trying to learn something about where it could be better, because I know that's when it's the threat happens. And then in general, when we have good hygiene and good practices around recognition, which is something I think, you know, all of us can get better at. But recognition is an antidote, and it's almost a vaccine for a crisis of mattering. If people feel your someone who's recognizing them and who's seeing what they're doing, then they'll be more trusting about leaving something behind and going to something.
Speaker 1: Now, we'd love to talk about resilience because when I was reading Tomorrow Mind, I thought, gosh, Gabriella must be the most resilient person with everything she knows about it. And I was really fascinated by the model that is in the book around the five biggest drivers to resilience, because I think that they're a little bit surprising. They're different to I think what pop psychology puts out there, and I'd love to go into some of them. And I think, you know, for listeners that thinking, what are these five things? So there's emotional regulation, which I would love to start on. There's optimism, there's cognitive agility, self compassion, and self efficacy. And I am curious because all of those variables if you like things that we can shift in ourselves as humans, which is why I love it because it suggests that anyone can be significantly more resilient by just practicing the right things, if you like, within a relatively short space of time. So emotional regulation, I feel like, even as an adult, this is something that I struggle is particularly in times of intense stress at work, and I would love to know what do you do, What have you found works for yourself in terms of emotional regulation.
Speaker 2: I think for myself and for all of us, this is an ongoing area of development that very seldom does a human being feel they've mastered emotional regulation. And I would say most of the time they feel that they're not correct. So if you feel you have work to do here, you are not alone. And it is really a lifelong journey, and I think it's one of the things that constitutes wisdom, and you know, something that we gain their experience in learning and seeing ups and downs and knowing that it's going to ultimately be okay. I will tell you one of the more important learnings for me about resilience and emotional regulation in the last five years or so, when a number of very significant things have happened in my life personally, is remembering knowing that the people who are most resilient it's still really hard when those things happen. Initially, that resilience doesn't mean it doesn't feel incredibly painful and challenging, and you may cry, and you may scream, and you may be furious, and all of those emotions. They're big and they're negative, and people who are resilient still have them, especially when things are really hard. Where the growth comes from, and the extreme side of resilience is this idea of post traumatic growth or anti fragility, that we can actually grow stronger through those experiences is how we metabolize it, how we make meaning from it, and how we come back more centered and grounded as a result of that. And it doesn't mean that it doesn't still hurt in the moment. So that's one thing that I use to comfort myself around that and to give myself grace space to have those emotions. I also do a lot for myself around time. So the moment the news happens is incredibly painful, that the hour, two hour, day afterward, But if we can intellectually remind ourselves that even another day later, even another three hours later, it's going to get better, it's a source of reassurance and optimism, and it helps keep me from kind of spinning out. There's the emotion and then there's this spinning out about emotion, and so these strategies are what helped me stay grounded in the emotion itself rather than exacerbating it with my emotions about the emotion.
Speaker 1: Something you write about, I think in the book or possibly on a blog on Better app is the feelings wheel where and I find this so helpful. I find this particularly helpful for my ten year old daughter as well, where just the act of actually naming what feeling I am experiencing actually helps to kind of tull that experience, which is quite helpful when you're experiencing an intense negative emotion. Is that something that you have used yourself? I do.
Speaker 2: I particularly use it with negative emotion, you know, And I'm trying to disentangle hurt from anger from fear. And you know, the reason we think this works so well is that that disentangling it's an intellectual exercise. So it takes us out of the limbic system and kind of into the forebrain. It distances us, as you said, dulls a little bit from the emotion. And I do find it effective. And I also again like this you know, painfully, hopelessly curious person. I just start to get really curious about that, and why did I feel that emotion and not that emotion? And why do I tend to feel that type of emotion and not that emotion when another person might feel differently. So I try to use it as a tool for curiosity and shifting into a slightly more intellectual mindset.
Speaker 1: And what I'll do I'll put a link to the feelings will in the show notes. It's quite an amazing, quite beautiful looking wheel that really at leasts I don't know, it must be like seventy or eighty emotional labels, and it helps when you're feeling a bit confused about exactly what you're feeling to help identify that. So I'll link to that in the show notes. Now, something that did surprise me that, but I guess when I thought about it, of course it makes sense. Is the impact of optimism on feeling resilient. I would love to know how do you foster optimism in yourself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the research on it is so profound. It is something for those who are less familiar that people who are more optimistic live longer, people are more optimistic recover from cancer and cardiac disease more efficiently and effectively in our lower risk for cardiac disease. That it could be such a powerful signal of physical health made it even intellectually of interest to me. So that was how I first got to the conviction that I wanted to work on optimism, and then as I took it forward to bring the practice into my own life, I looked for windows where I had an optimistic thought that I then shut down, and I tried to notice when I was doing that and why. For me, what I discovered is it's not that I don't have the optimism. I'm just overwhelming the optimism with paranoia and negativity that was not serving me well, at least in certain key situations.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Gabriella soon. When we written, we'll be discussing what cognitive agilities and how you can develop it, as well as how to get better at prospection, which Gabriella believes is one of the most important leadership skills for the future. Looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally you can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com. I'd love to know about cognitive agility, which again I read that and I thought, really can you change that? So tell me about cognitive agility and what that means and what are some strategies you've used to improve that in yourself.
Speaker 2: So we talk about cognitive agility as the ability to go back and forth between the forest level view and the trees level of view. The forest level view is where we're scoping out opportunity and we're attuned to signals in the environment that are helping us figure out what to do. And then the trees level of view as we've decided what to do. Now we're executing in that plan and we're very heads down and focused, and we need to be able to do both of those things. But cognitive agility is about switching channels back and forth between the two. That is what we find to be this incredible differentiator in terms of resilience, because when we're in a tight spot, we need to be able to have focused effort to get out of that spot. But we can't get stuck in one approach, especially if it's not working or if the context around us is changing. There's a lot of interesting military research on this because you can imagine in modern warfare you have to be attuned to the signals around you have to change strategy is often, but you also have to be able to just grit and push and push and push in the trees level view of a given effort. So that's what that means and how it's connected to resilience. So I think that I am someone who if there are people who have a tendency to get stuck in the forest view and then their people get to have a tendency get stuck in the tree's view, I think, if anything, I'm someone who has a tendency to get stuck in the trees view. So I come to conviction about here's how we should do something, and then you know, I want to see it through. And one of the skills that I work on and that I help others work on as well, is when do you know you need to check yourself and come back up for air to look around. I do that, you know, with my teams, at least on a quarterly basis. But I think the other thing that really just naturally is a useful force function for me, given that tendency is a lot of the work I do is very cross functional, and it's more common than not that my cross functional peers will have ecosystem signals that they want me to pay attention to that might mean we need to change tack. And so as long as I'm keeping in close conversation with those peers who have their ears out, their sort of scouts in the environment for things I'm not seeing, I find it's a really helpful checkpoint for me to make sure I'm coming up to scan the forest, if nothing else, for the purpose of those conversations where we're kind of realigning our strategy.
Speaker 1: And so you mentioned that you'll meet with your team quarterly, and I guess it's distinct from doing an annual planning process. Does that mean that you're potentially making quite big changes every quarter as opposed to perhaps every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, new pieces come in, and we actually review our metrics monthly in a semi formal way, but they're sort of like a halfway through the court, let's see how we're doing against these top line metrics. And then in addition to that, there's again these signals that come in, whether it's a major change in the market, whether it's a new acquisition coming in that we need to absorb and figure out where to work that into the efforts and the resource allocation. So those things are always it always creates sort of fair game to reevaluate everything, and I say to my team maybe more often than I should. I'm still not sure the right frequency to voice this of like, good job, we got our road map set. Remember this is going to change, you know, because I'm trying to just say, like, we did a great thing, we did the work we're supposed to do, and be ready for this to change again. I'm actually trying to get ahead of that mattering crisis that we talked about and just to prepare that this is all. The change is a huge part of the work and the job to be done.
Speaker 1: I find that so interesting because as a LADA, people are looking to you for a clear direction and then if that changes, that can impact people's trust in you as a LADA. So how do you create that balance?
Speaker 2: Actually have a whole talk on this topic because I feel like prospection, which is why one of the topics in our book, our ability to see and plan for the future is an essential part of what builds people's cognitive trust in leaders today. So the sort of affective emotional side of trust is more about do we think our leaders benevolent? Are they kind? Do they take care of us? But the cognitive side is really we're judging someone's competence, and in this day and age where we feel so much uncertainty, we feel like we can't see what's ahead, we are looking to our leaders to be the person who can. And that doesn't mean we expect them to be fortune tellers, but we expect them to be spending a lot, a lot a lot of time thinking about the future, planning for scenarios, allocating resources today to set us up as best as possible against those future scenarios. We don't expect them to be superhumans, but we do expect them to put a lot of effort into that. And where I think leaders often fall short today in a way that does breach trust is with the statement, well, there's no way to know. We just can't know, So we'll tell you when we know what's going to happen, but we just don't know. What people need to hear is here's what we know, Here's what we don't know. Here's the scenarios that we foresee on the basis of that, here's the actions that we're taking right, detailed, fleshed out plans that reflect a lot of time and planning gives the reassurance even in an environment where everyone accepts that a lot of those plans will go by the wayside, that's still the job to be done. It's part of what we need to feel comfort that our leaders are taking on as the burden of leading us in this sort of foggy uncertainty.
Speaker 1: How can we build out prospection skills? Because there is something that you write about in the book, and there was one exercise that I did particularly like, But maybe I'll ask about that in the moment. I want to know what are you doing that's helping you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So perspection happens in two phases. The first phase is very fast and optimistic. We think really divergently. So if I said to you, think about where you might be in your career and ten years is right, it might be big and all kinds of grand things might come to mind. And then reality sets in. Here's where we sort of shut down. I find I shut down my own optimism. I get too pessimistic, realistic, and then over the course of much longer period of time, we now start planning. So our colleague, the psychologist Roy Baumeister, calls this dream big and get real, and each of us goes through those phases, whether we realize it or not. We need to be good at both of those things. When we study leaders who are really good at prospection, they actually spend a lot of time in the get real phase. In the planning phase, again, it's scenarios. It's what are all the ways this could play out? How are we going to allocate resources? When are we going to come back up to the forest level and reevaluate all of those things. There is such a thing as planning fatigue, just like there's decision fatigue. Getting better at prospection is expanding our capacity for planning. And when it all goes out the wind, we do more planning and then we guess what we wake up and we do still more planning. And so for me, it's really pushing myself to have more and more capacity for that. When it's not always the fun thing, it's not always the thing I want to do, it's not always something that feels gratifying, but I know that it's a huge part of my role, and if I'm not doing it, no one else is going to take the time to do that for my team.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask about the new doors opening exercise which he wrote about in Tomorrow Mind. And in this particular experiment, the researchers gave people some instructions and they were asked to do this once per week for a month, where the instructures read. After difficult experiences, many people feel a sense of loss. It feels that certain opportunities or doors have closed in their life. Sometimes people find that new doors open and new opportunities present themselves, and these new opportunities could be almost anything. The existence of new opportunities does not mean that losses are unimportant and less painful. Important losses can exist alongside some potentially important new opportunities. We would like to know if you've noticed any new doors opening in your own life in the past six months. For the next fifteen minutes, please write down whatever comes to mind about these new opportunities or new doors. So people did that once a week for a month, and it yielded some really impressive results. I'm curious to know your thoughts on that study, and maybe if that's an exercise that you have used yourself or with your teams or customers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a beautiful study illustrating the ways that we tell ourselves stories about what happened and why how it has such a profound influence on our psychological well being, our ability to recover, ability to move forward. That was really a study of post traumatic growth or what I called earlier anti fragility. So how can we go through something that is challenging and difficult, but within days, weeks, months, on the other end, we're actually more centered and more grounded and taking the time to think abou about what were the opportunities that were positive from my life that came in the aftermath of this hard, hard thing, and really reframe the way we think about going through those challenges to begin with. There's also a really lovely book called Redirect by Tim Wilson, a psychologist that talks about the broader project of how we can retell our own life stories in service of these different outcomes. And we're narrative creatures if we understand the mechanics of it. The way is that stories don't naturally form, We create them, whether we're intending to or not. We can then start to be much more intentional about how we tell ourselves the stories we do.
Speaker 1: How do you use that in your own life? When you can hear a story going on in your mind.
Speaker 2: I try not to tell myself a story until I'm ready, So I try to actually just notice, observe, pick up signals, learn, and the story I find does emerge through that process organically as I'm finding the right versus the wrong next step. But I think that one of the mistakes that I made when I was younger, and one of the mistakes I'm still learning not to make, is to come to that story too early, and to feel pushed to come to that story too early before I have discovered the wisdom to be gained from a situation.
Speaker 1: What great advice to end on, Gabriella. I have loved this chat. I find it such a joy when I read a book that I love, and I got to say Tomorrow Mind is one of the best books that I've read this year. I just loved it. And so it's been such a treat to have you on the show and to pick your brain about certain things. So thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for having me. Thank you so much for doing the work that you do and helping so many people, and your very kind words.
Speaker 1: I hope you loved this chat with Gabrielle as much as I did. I know most of us recognize the importance of praising those we lead, but maybe taking the next step of using effective praise to give others a sense of purpose and meaning could be what it takes to get things to the next level for you. If you want to learn more about Gabriella, I highly recommend her book Tomorrow Mind. It was so so good, and we'll put a link for that in our show notes. If you like today's show, make sure you get follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery people, part of the cool And Nation.