Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. There right, Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Farmer Todd from Farmer Wants a Wife, which I believe is the highest rating show across the networks at the moment. So well done to Channel seven and to the fans for making this series a smash in twenty twenty four. Farmer Todd is a charming thirty three year old cattle farmer hailing from the quaint town of Banbar in New South Wales. He is the proud third generation farmer, living and breathing the values of family, hard yaker and the simple pleasures of country life. Despite being surrounded by the charm of his family farm, Todd's on the hunt for a love that is as solid as the bonds that he sees in his folks and his sister's relationships. As we know, Farmer Todd came to the show late, and I don't think that's a bad thing because we've been able to get to know him quite well and I'm delighted to be chatting to him today. We will talk about that full on family and friends date and what he thinks of some of the comments that were made regarding Daisy, comparing her to his ex girlfriend's red flagging that she'd been married and that she may be too confident. We will unpack Farmer Bert's exit and find out why Farmer Todd thinks Farmer Burt left. Was it the girls, or maybe was it the show was too much for him? You will get some interesting insights into how he came onto the show late. Was he a last minute replacement for Farmer Dean or was his time on the show planned all along. I'm also going to ask about his thoughts on the choices of women that are picked for the farmers and if the producers do a good job picking the ladies for this show. There's actually so much to unpack with Farmer Todd, So sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of Farmer Wants a Wife. Hey Todd, how are you? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing well? Do you know what's really strange is like when I start doing these podcasts? Well, actually, when I'm about to have a guest on, I'd not only been watching this show, but I go back and rewatch episodes over and over again, So admittedly I become a little bit like obsessed with the guests that come on the podcast. Just kind of an embarrassing way to start a podcast, Ryan, that's all right, how are you going anyway? What a whirl win season this must have been for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty for long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, the whole thing even Yeah, without coming in.
Speaker 2: Later, it would still be a bit of a well wind full on sort of a gig.
Speaker 1: You arrived late, But at this point I think we are seeing more of you than any of the others you've You've come in later, and then you're taking up the lion's share of the screen time. It feels to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I noticed that sort of Yeah, last night was there.
Speaker 4: The Todd Show, A big fortunately of the time was donated to a little well, we.
Speaker 1: Want to get into the aftermath of some of that. But look, I wanted to ask you, are you getting quite a bit of attention at the moment. What is the talk of the town from where you're from.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I don't sort of go into town too much when I mate the day through this morning, and it there's five six people in there, and it was more fun, more into life talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll never go down to get a sausage roll ever again in the same way people talk. Because this is the weird thing. When you're on reality show like this, people want to talk to you like they know you, which is odd. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well luckily I haven't you know, people been trying to talk me on Facebook and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But I just, you know, like all that stuff and I don't even know. I'm not so many of it. Yeah, definitely, there's been a few people out on the streets they're just sort of being.
Speaker 3: Oh, and I was like, yeah, so I've got to keep going.
Speaker 2: I'm busy. I know.
Speaker 4: I was saying on the internet that sort of thing before it was actually before I was.
Speaker 2: Actually on the TV. People had just seen the you.
Speaker 1: Know, were all profile came up there. You came into the show as Farmer Dean decided to leave. How much time did you have.
Speaker 2: To prepare a little bit of time prepared. It wasn't sort of a drop of a hat like. It wasn't like one day I.
Speaker 3: Was on the Farmer, next I was down in eight ladies, had a bit.
Speaker 4: Of a time to work out a few things, make sure I could get people to look after the basel away and.
Speaker 2: That sort of thing.
Speaker 1: They must have had some idea that he was going to go, because I'm trying to look at that turnaround with a farmer leaving and they need another one in there. Was it like a week? What was the the turnaround?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I think they might have already had a bit of an idea to bring someone in later as a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a surprise.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I don't I don't think it was just because being left and I was sort of made it pretty convenient.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm kind of getting at this. I mean, you'd been announced last year for women to apply, so your profile turned up and we got to see you know, six or seven farmers. You know, there was a few farmers that you know, the ladies could choose if they wanted to, and your profile had been up for a little bit. What happened after your profile had been up? Did you get a call from the producers and say there wasn't enough shelers after you when we picked some others. What kind of conversation happened at that point? No?
Speaker 3: No, so they was sort of just silence there for a while after I actually got the phone call to day I was on, and they said, look, photos.
Speaker 2: Are going to go up, and we'll let you know when they go up, and then the.
Speaker 3: Ladies will reply and then we'll stuck it out and yeah, talk to you again. I was a little bit of radio silence there for a minute while that was gone on, and.
Speaker 2: Then they called me up and we're like, radio, we want you on the show, like you're in sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Had you worked out that they'd picked other farmers and they were going ahead with them before circling back with you, What did you know about the other farmers, you know, getting onto the show before you.
Speaker 2: I didn't really know much about the other farmers getting onto the show.
Speaker 3: They just said I'll be starting at this time, which will be later.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's starting to make sense. Okay, this is what I was thinking, you know, And I'm sure while I'm asking you this stuff, this is what the people at home watching the show wanted to know as well, because what happens to these farmers that have their profiles up for a while that don't get picked to be on this show? Are they just are they sitting at home crying into the wools off the sheep, how think to them? Are they okay?
Speaker 3: I don't know what the other other bloke draps sort of what happens with them?
Speaker 2: They're fighting it. I'd have been fired. I'd have been like, oh, well, I'm sort of imming an errand to be on it anyway. It was sort of a bit of a thing, but.
Speaker 4: I'm yea happy I made the choice now attacks to go on and like a once in last time think right.
Speaker 3: At the start, I was going to do I want to go, I want to and I was like, well, a lot of good.
Speaker 2: Stuff has come out of farm want to wife.
Speaker 4: I knew one of the girls on it from last year who ended up with from Rats Are Clear and Brad.
Speaker 1: This is interesting, though, is that once somebody gets on this show, the word gets around and other people might feel more comfortable to apply. Is it because you knew people that have done it before? Is why you applied?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Actually my mom applied for me, but it was yeah, because I knew someone that.
Speaker 3: Was on it and she ended up with a partner out of it, and now they've got a kid in that.
Speaker 2: It was like, well, I guess it does work, so yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Might as well give it a crack and see what happens, which I'm yeah, I'm glad I did well.
Speaker 1: I'm loving this for your mom because your mum's at home going. I want grandchildren, and you know, Todd's being really slacked with this. We're going to get a move.
Speaker 2: On, so you're not far off it. Really.
Speaker 1: I love the guts that it takes for her to be like, she's got the faith in you. She wants to put you on national television, find a woman and get the grandchildren.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She was a big part of going on there, that's for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's harder to try and compact your experience into a smaller time frame because you are on the show a few weeks later, but you're still meeting the same amount of women, so it's obviously a much faster process, you know. Is that harder or do you think that was easier?
Speaker 2: In a way, it shall be harder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously not getting to know or the ladies as much, have as much time with them.
Speaker 4: But I still feel that I enough time to I guess get to know the lady a fair bit to make a decision.
Speaker 1: Were your first impressions of the ladies good, were You're like, Okay, the people casting this show do a good job of finding suitable matches, or well, that's what I would think. I'd be worried because I'd assume, you know, you sit down with the producers, you tell them the sort of women that you're interested in, and then they go and find them. But you know, I'd be sitting at home worrying about turning up on that first day of set because like what happens if they've found the Witches of Eastwick or something, or they've got they've muddled it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a bit their wrapping.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm very happy with the choices that they they said.
Speaker 2: I came back, but I was.
Speaker 3: I was surprised that, yeah, such lovely ladies actually wanted to become and meet may I never thought i'd be on the show and then.
Speaker 2: No one on a block me anyway. I had just a little cattle farmer from out in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 3: No one.
Speaker 2: It's not really a feeling to people.
Speaker 1: That's not how I say. I think this is going to sound like it lands really badly, but I think you're a grower, not a shower. Where when I first saw your promo. I was like, oh, yeah, he's all right, And then like the more we've gotten to get to know you as this show has gone on, people are connecting to you more. This is definitely the wrong analogy. I can already can feel people writing to me and complaining.
Speaker 2: It's I get up stand where what you're saying? Okay, and at the start.
Speaker 3: Properly completely nervous, like meeting eight ladies and then getting thrown into this like cameras and that everywhere. People everywhere, even my friends that have seen it ore like, you were so nervous.
Speaker 2: That's not you. You're a lot more relaxed at more. And then even the ladies said it. And then when we got back to home, they're like, wow, this is actually todd. This comfort level was up when I was home on the farm in my element.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been able to show that fart being on the farm, on the horse riding.
Speaker 1: Around, Well, that's the real you, that's who you are. Like yeah, I mean the magic of this show in a way is that we want these farmers to be it sounds ridiculous, but real. And then to try and get you guys who haven't found a partner in your own means to be in front of the cameras.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely a foreign situation, like it's yeah, you're you're definitely made throwing into the deep end sort of thing, and you just go, yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Tod the things that can happen, you know, having too many women, Yeah, there's worse the shows if you go on, at least you don't have to sing or dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely true.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you have four ladies left this week, and we saw your friends and family help you with this next step, which caused a bit of drama. How did you how did you go about picking which friends and family would come along to meet these four ladies that you've got left.
Speaker 3: It was hard because I actually originally had probably five other friends that I sort of wanted to.
Speaker 1: Come along as well, but what happened to them.
Speaker 2: Well, we were supposed to go do a little.
Speaker 3: Event before we went and just sort of sat down and met everyone, but it's sort of.
Speaker 2: The weather didn't agree with it.
Speaker 3: So it's like those other friends that were going to help me out, they just sort of, yeah, just too much for the one for the little area we sort of had.
Speaker 1: Okay, so then they go and producers go and interview the people that you can put forward, because this is what I'm thinking, Like if you asked me, but you know who I wanted? And I said, well, look here are my five friends. You know you should go and talk to them. And then the producers speak to those five and they realized that, you know, maybe two of them are a bit more savage and you're going to ask a little bit more outrageous questions. Then the producers go, well, let's go with those cousins because we know those cousins are going to ask harder questions. Or do you reckon that there's is there an audition process for who gets to come along?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 3: They asked who I wanted and I was like, well, these are the people who are really wanted to be there, the five and then.
Speaker 2: Have a bit of a chat film and they asked me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well, who do you think because they've obviously, yeah, I've got to ask questions, and who do you think will be out spoken?
Speaker 2: And I'm a bit more forward?
Speaker 1: They did want that that's what you're trying to tell me, okay?
Speaker 2: And I told my friends, I was like, you got to ask these.
Speaker 3: Girls the questions that you want to ask it's going to be a bit forward with which they were fine with it because it wasn't a short time frame here to try and fine. Yeah, it's a bit of very much a pressure cooker situation and that we've all been traying into andy like the Yeah, I asked my friends to sort of put a bit of crash from the ladies just to what happened.
Speaker 1: I mean, there were some savage comments about your ex partners, you know that they were comparing Daisy to your previous relationships. Did you find that uncomfortable to watch back?
Speaker 2: So what sort of didn't show in there? Like obviously there's time frame to the shew and whatnot, But I sort of also, I've.
Speaker 3: Already noticed some similarities that it's not necessarily the overly bad similarities. Daisy is just more confidence about going forward sort of a person.
Speaker 1: It seemed to me like they were trying to be like, oh, no, these confident women aren't the right people for you, which I don't understand because, like to me, if you yourself have been going out and looking for ladies and finding confident women that haven't worked out for whatever reason, that doesn't mean that all confident women are shit. Maybe you're the type of bloke who wants a chick that's a little bit more confident, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the way it came across wasn't sort of the way it was meant.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was hard.
Speaker 2: It was like a pretty full on day, but.
Speaker 3: I won't say that sort a confidence and that was bad. They were more worried, you know that I have gone down that path.
Speaker 2: Is that the right.
Speaker 3: One of the right way to go again? If I was looking at that sort of thing because it didn't work the last time, and my friends are sort of more trying to look after me, didn't want to see.
Speaker 2: Me hurts again.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a couple of questions on this one because I wonder, you know your ex girlfriend that they're comparing it to, you know, comparing Daisy too. She watching the show? Do we know if she's watching the show and did is she upset?
Speaker 3: I'm unsure whether if she's watching the show or not.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get her on the podcast. I'm on the kidding, I'm joking. It's not Sally Jesse, Raphael Oprah Winfrey specials or No. I was curious. I mean, she's got to be watching the show, and she would be pretty upset. I think that your friends and family are trying to do whatever they cannot to find anyone like her again.
Speaker 3: Like it's coming across that way. But that's not exactly the way I guess I saw it. I'm all of it from previous time that hasn't worked and then not wanting maybe it hurt again.
Speaker 1: Look, I can see that I'm leading to the point that there was a comment about Daisy being masculine. What was the aftermath of that comment? I mean, did you feel uncomfortable when they were saying that, I.
Speaker 3: Mean the whole day, Yeah, it was pretty hard to sort of hear.
Speaker 2: And that I was fit for us.
Speaker 1: And then they went on to say, you know, their impression was that Daisy was there for social media. We're only seeing snippets of this stuff. But to me, it didn't look like Daisy was there for likes and follows. She looked she looked genuinely like she was into you, you know, and I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think any of the ladies there for social media followers and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: When they were pushing the quieter girls onto you, and saying, oh, maybe you should be with them, Like there's a good chance that they might be saying you quite go a bit good for you, and she'll be back on the farm and she'll iron your underpants and do all the rest of the stuff did you want to to do? But then that might not be the type of girl that you're interested in.
Speaker 3: I've never really realized I had a type until yeah, my friends that sort of yeah, and then I look back and I'll go, oh, well, yeah, I guess I do have a bit of a type.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, they never said it was a bad thing. I mean it was necessarily sort of. I think they're more sable. You know, I've had work. Why not try something different.
Speaker 1: When you're editing a show like this together, you're going to pick up on the small points and if you're producing it, yeah listen looking for a bit of drama. Then you're going to leave your friends talking about Daisy being a divorced person and you know, do you think that woman is the right person for you? She's previously been married, like she's been tainted, and that's a polarizing thing to say to the Australian audience. It makes great television, but it becomes a little bit uncomfortable for everybody, you know, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, and I hadn't had a chat about that on our one on one time together, Like we sort of dove into it pretty deep, and then it sort of shows me.
Speaker 2: Much of it there. I asked a fair bit about about it all.
Speaker 1: What do you think about farmer Bert leaving the show? Do you think that he was overwhelmed by the ladies or do you think that he was a bit overwhelmed by how hard it is and the pressure that comes about by taking part in a TV show.
Speaker 2: I think it might have been.
Speaker 3: I guess the whole I don't really have yet, sort of too much to do with, never really talk too much to the ladies and that, so I can't really comment too much about what they are like they that they seem nice, and I talked to him and that, So the whole thing is like pretty full on, pressure wise. And I think Bert had a big going on on his farm too at the time.
Speaker 2: Like he was busy.
Speaker 3: He has busy periods where he's like, yeah, flat out. I think during filming was one of those times. It ld just got a bit much and yeah, sort of probably with the farm, and that it probably wasn't giving himself all to the experience as much, and probably wasn't fair on the ladies and on him and on everyone if he wasn't sort of one hundred cent in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true. I mean, do you think I reckon your girls? Your batch of girls were picked really well. I could see you with any of them, and I think the way in which I've watched it with farmer Bird a little bit, I'm just wondering whether or not he's been matched with those women correctly, like they might. I don't know, kind of rude of me to say that, but I just feel like maybe the matches on that farm weren't as good as the matches on the other farm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe that is the case, but it's probably a bit more difficult.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it is more difficult trying to come on to each other and trying to be naturally yourself and everything like that, Like, yeah, I haven't found with some stuff with me, like not everything you're doing just naturally and flowing with it all that just makes that bit harder.
Speaker 1: I as I said at the start, like you know, it's an unnatural experience. I think too. I mean, dating in general is without the cameras. Let's be honest, Like, it's tough. You know, when you're first meeting people, it's awkward. You know you want it to work here, you don't know how you feel about people. The whole thing in general of dating is an awkward part of our lives. And then to put it on television add that level on top of it, I think is difficult, especially if you're a shy person, a shy farmer, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is this and then yeah, the added pressure of being in front of people and you're having a timeframe moment and you've got to do certain things at certain times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all a big, big deal. Really.
Speaker 1: I guess the best thing to ask you at this point is do you think Farmer Joe could go on to be a TV star after being on this? You know, what are your thoughts on Farmer Joe? Is he Is he coming across the way that you saw him as you were filming?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean any of the boys could could go on to do commercials, TV movies that there can be the stars or something like that.
Speaker 2: This would be pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Definitely, Yeah, A bit more of a confidence sort of color there in front of.
Speaker 2: The within the whole experience.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, got that bit more of an out there sort of personality, And I.
Speaker 1: Think that's one of the reasons why the season has been so enjoyable to Why is that? Yeah, it's very engaging people, very genuine people, which is good television. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think all the all the boys coming across, yeah, pretty genuine pre there for the reasons like when I talk to them sort of behind the.
Speaker 2: Scenes and that and then watching them on on camera the same exactly the same sort of deal.
Speaker 1: Well, I was going to also ask you about your friendships with the farmers because I was talking to Farmer Burton. He was saying that he and Farmer Tom have become really close. Have you been able to make a strong connection with some of these other farmers. Do you think you've made a lifelong friendship out of some of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, it was sort of a little group chat and chat, and so I think you.
Speaker 2: Haven't had a chance to sort of catch up with any of them. Yeah, so yeah, I mean I thought it didn't have as much I yes, as much time to get to know the other boys.
Speaker 3: But I think, yeah, we're all I guess we're all nte coming out of the experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a bit of seeing that all. Yeah, I guess fond us together a bit.
Speaker 1: Would you say what's your favorite This is the last one I'm going to ask you about. Was before an episode, but what was the best thing about doing this show? Like, was there a moment where You're like, Wow, this is so fun, I'm so glad I've signed up and done this.
Speaker 2: The best thing about it?
Speaker 3: I mean, I yes, the whole experience is pretty pretty surreal, pretty full on, and yeah, it's nothing that I would have ever thought I would would have ever done before. I think I'm just getting out of my bubble and getting out there and doing something. Probably the best thing about it meeting now the boys and all the ladies and yeah, actually actually doing something instead of just my regular go to work, come home.
Speaker 1: Well. Also, good to your mum. It's good for your mum to get you involved with this in the first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the last thing I ask everyone who joins the podcast is what is something from behind the scenes, you know, something that maybe the viewers won't understand about what it's like to be a farmer on this show. Did anything fun happen behind the scenes that we won't get a chance to see that you thought you can share.
Speaker 3: Actually just hanging out with the ladies on the farm, and then actually getting to just hang out and kick about with the other farmer when we get to go somewhere, we get a bit of a chance to sort of.
Speaker 1: Just do that. And now we've allowed to talk amongst each other. You know, when the cameras are not rolling. I know that I remember interviewing someone on The Bachelor and they were saying, on the Bachelor, you know that the bachelors weren't even allowed to talk to the girls when the cameras weren't rolling. Are you allowed to have a lot of conversation that's not on camera?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean when the camera is so lady today on the farm of a night climb and that, So when the cameras.
Speaker 5: Aren't there, you've got a bit of time they get they not have too many big conversations that, like, you know, would be good camera off camera, So you get to sort of smart of just hanging out, like you get to actually know someone a bit more, and you just sort of, you know, cook a dinner.
Speaker 2: And you just have a chat like that's not so much here in your face.
Speaker 3: You don't feel so pressured to get ask questions, and I think it just becomes a lot more.
Speaker 1: Naturally well on that, which makes it a little bit easier. I just want to say I thoroughly enjoyed talking to you today. I'm so sorry if I hammered the point on some of those things, because I'm just a suit fan who obviously is just asking all the questions that you know, we all do at home. I think we all goggle box these shows and think I want to know this. What I would like to say is I think that you've been a fantastic addition to this series. I've really enjoyed watching you, and I can't wait to see what happens. I really can't wait to see who you pick. I'm unsure who it will be, and that's what makes good television.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for that. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, only you have to keep watching them and see how guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it is a big decision.
Speaker 1: It is a big decision. Well, good luck with that. I'll be watching. I'll be in your audience and enjoy the ride.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.