Speaker 1: Do you weigh yourself regularly or maybe only when you're trying to lose weight, or maybe your preference to measure is to actually track your progress using photos or some other form of body composition. On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we dive deep into the specifics of body composition and what we should be aiming for as we move through our twenties, thirties, forties and beyond. Hi, I'm Leanne Ward and I'm Cussie Burrow, and together.
Speaker 2: We bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly.
Speaker 1: Podcast that keeps you up to date on everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition as well as body composition. Today we talk about the controversial issue of ultra process foods and share what exactly the difference is between a process and an ultra process food. We've also found a new dessert in the supermarket potentially linked to some healthy skin benefits, and our listener question is all about one of our favorites, dumplings. But to kick us up today, Susie I wanted to have a quick chat about ultra process foods because we received a quite negative comment on our podcast reviews, where somebody just two stars on the podcast Susie for cooling the Red Drop Daily Chips, which we were discussing a couple of podcasts back, which literally just have potato, salt and oil, and you and I had a bit of a convos slash little debate about whether they were a process or an ultra processed food, and I think we landed on the fact that they are about a process food based on the ingredients were far better than some of the other chips in the supermarket aisle, and somebody basically was not happy with that and left us two stars for that, which I just think is a little bit petty because we've given how many years and years of free episodes away, So that's a whole other issue. On very upset about that. We take our ratings very seriously, don't we, hear, Susie. We give away so much free time and value.
Speaker 2: To our listeners. We're a bit upset about that.
Speaker 1: But also I thought it was important to go through the definition of exactly what an ultra process food is because it's a large difference between what is considered a process food, and we do know that we eat many process foods every day, and processed foods are still very healthy. Essentially anything that's in a packet with a label on it has some level of processing to it. Might be yogurt, it might be milk, it might be rolled oats, it might be there's another example like a beautiful dense whole grain bread like our burg and soiling that we know that we love. So there are all examples of processed foods because they were very tin fish tuna yep tin yep tin tuna a great example. So they're all very different to how they're found in their very natural form, right versus. The difference between a process and an ultra process food is that level of processing takes that next step, and typically the level of ingredients in there are not I guess good or healthy for your your health long term. So I found a little bit of a definition in terms of ultra processed foods. So what they're basically designed for is manufacturers create these ultra processed foods to create highly profitable you know, foods to basically bring in additional money into their businesses because they want to make these foods taste good. Think about things like you know pringles for example, like the slogans what is it something about you?
Speaker 2: Once you podcast stop?
Speaker 1: Something like that so basically who they want you to eat more and more and more of it. So they typically will put a lot of fat, a lot of sugar, a lot of salt, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of these extra additives into.
Speaker 1: These foods, whereas if you were making some potato chips yourself at home, they're not things that you would typically add at home. So ultra processed foods tend to be highly palatable, tend to be very convenient, you know, packaged, and they tend to have quite a long ingredient list as well, compared to just what we would call a processed foods, which we know can still be very healthy, and a lot of what we would call whole foods or you know, relatively whole foods, things like yoga tin tuna can still be termed process but in a good way where we still would want to actively include those things regularly in adult So I just wanted to let our listeners know a really practical way of, I guess, identifying the difference between an ultra process food and a process food. So my big tip for our listeners, Susie, is to really check the list of ingredients you're not going to really know based on the nutrition information panel, whether a food is processed versus ultra process you have to identify the ingredient list. Don't worry what it says on the front package marketing. It doesn't matter if it's gluten free, it doesn't matter, if it's organic, it doesn't matter if it's low sugar.
Speaker 2: Flip it, over.
Speaker 1: Look at the ingredient list and actually go by the ingredients one by one. And a big characteristic of an ultra process food which there's a I guess.
Speaker 2: A definition called NOVA and OVA which.
Speaker 1: Sort of defines an ultra processed food to say that it's a food substance or ingredients which you would either never or very rarely use in your kitchen. So if the ingredient list of this product that you've picked up has an ingredient in there that you've never found in your kitchen or pantry or very very rarely have ever used in a recipe, if that is found on the ingredient label, it is very likely the definition of an ultra processed food. So some ingredients Susie would be high fouct dose corn syrup, hydrogenated types of vegetable oils, hydrogenlyzed types of proteins. You wouldn't actually put that kind of stuff into your food at home. So a lot of these like high protein based I guess products such as protein chips and protein bars and protein you know, musli bars.
Speaker 3: Bread, the pizza bases that we've spoken.
Speaker 1: About exactly ultra process types food. Can these be by definition, I guess healthy and food into your macros be lower calorie, be higher fiber. Absolutely, but food companies are specifically manufacturing them that way in order to you know.
Speaker 2: Appear healthier.
Speaker 1: So it's a bit of a trade of between the calories and macros look great. But also what is this ingredient list that we don't realize or know of some of these ingredients on that list, So there also tends to be a lot of additives in there and additional things. It might be emulsifies, it might be flavor enhancers. It might be thickeners. It might be sweeteners. It might be bulking agents, foaming jelling, extra multifying salt, extra colors, extra flavors, glazing agents. All of these additives again are not something that you would add to say a banana bread if you're baking it at home, if you're baking some cookies with your toddler, you wouldn't be adding things in such as flavor andhandsers and emosifies and sweetness and thickeners and foaming agents and gels. So the addition of those things as well tend to make it more of an ultra process food. Now, when not saying that you can't ever have an ultra processed food, you absolutely can. But it is about the amount and how regularly you have those things, and the less of those things in our diet, the better it is going.
Speaker 2: To be overall for our health.
Speaker 1: So a lot of these food companies will use a lot of these extra additives, the emulsifies, the bulking agents, the glazing gels, the thickeners, the sweetness for the palatability of that food, but also sometimes to extend the shelf life and just make sure that food can you know, last on the shelf for two, four, six, twelve months time, because if it was a fresh something like an apple, for example, it's only going to last, you know, a couple of weeks and that it will be rotten if that. So it is used to extend the sh life for some of the products, but also a lot of it is used also to extend the palatability of the product and make it so that you want more and more and more. So you know, food companies are very smart. They want you to buy more because when you buy, the more profit that they make. So that for me, sus is really the definition of an ultra processed food versus the processed food.
Speaker 2: And again, if we go back to.
Speaker 1: That definition of our Red Rock Deli sea salt, only only the sea salt one where it's got potato, it's got oil, and it's got salt. That to me, I'm going to stand my ground and I still believe that is a process food.
Speaker 2: Does that mean that it is healthy? Not necessarily.
Speaker 1: Does that mean that it's something that we should be regularly consuming in our diet. No, I'm not going to recommend people consume potato chips every day, even though it's a healthier variety of some of the other types of potato chips on the market. So there's a lot of nuances that go into what makes up a food, what makes it healthy? Is it something that we recommend every single day? So this was purely just a discussion on the differences between process and old to process foods. But it doesn't actually mean that our processed food is, you know, should be consumed more often because we know that there are more whole food based types of processed foods and more sometimes or soul foody types of ultra process foods that we probably don't want too much of in our diet. Particularly, weight control is an issue because something like a potato chip is quite high calorie and not that filling compared to something like a tub of Greek yogurt, which is quite filling and is quite high in protein. You might get some added calcium benefits as well. So when we're looking at whether a food is healthy and when we want to have it regularly, we also want to look at what are the nutrients it's providing our body and the overall energy density of that food as well in terms of how often we really should be consuming it. What are your thoughts on ultra processed foods? Do you believe that our two star rating was a it's valid on that once.
Speaker 4: I just want to say to our listeners that Leanne takes our ratings very seriously, very she really is very upset about this. I, on the other hand, after years of being in the media, choose not to look at my comments ratings, because I think if you don't like it, bad luck, don't listen. But what I will say about ulture process, you're a lot younger than me, so the novelty are aware of and you'll get to the point where you.
Speaker 3: Don't look at it anymore.
Speaker 4: But going back to that, for me, it's the length of the ingredient list alone. If I look at an ingredient list and it's a mile long, and we've certainly covered it, most recently in some of the higher protein pizzas and wraps, you know, you look and it's like twenty thirty ingredients, and certainly ingredients you don't recognize. This is a conversation I have on a daily basis with my clients because they all love to eat snack bars. Now I do use some snack bars. There's some protein bars I might use, particularly to keep as a backup in your handbag or your workcase. And certainly there's some brands that like a nutbar, brands that can be better, but for me, they're still pretty processed. And in the case of many of the protein bars, they're absolutely ultra processed foods.
Speaker 3: They don't look like food.
Speaker 4: The ingredients are heavily manipulated to make it into a palatable substance, because protein in nice doesn't taste amazing, So to get a higher protein snack bar, you have to heavily formulate. Now I'm not saying they don't have a role, and it's certainly better than picking up a fast food meal. But my argument is to the clients, don't des grab the bar because you like it it's sweet, It's still much more process It's not going to be as filling as if you make yourself some yogurt with granola and berries, or some beautiful grain crackers with cheese and tomato. That's real food. It's completing it. It's got a fresh component. It's going to be much more satisfying. It's going to take time to eat. You know, if you eat a protein bar, they can have one fifty one eighty two hundred calories and they're gone in three bytes and you don't even notice. And all my clients love to eat the bars, it's their preference, and they forget all the fresh food that goes with it. So for me, those foods are the backups. They're things you might have on special occasions. In many cases as dieticians. Let's be honestly, and we don't think of them as food. They're heavily formulated products. So yeah, without spending hours in the supermarket, if you scan an ingredient list and you have to recognize half the stuff, it's probably not that healthy, which is an argument that comes up often with pre made marinades and sauces, because yeah, if I'm thinking about sources i'd use at home, it's extraversion olive oil, bit of sour cream, bitter yogurt, bit of evaforated meal. Like, I don't have a lot of pre made marinads and sauces because when you look at them, they're so heavily formulated, in processed. They're absolutely ultra processed to make things taste good. And my argument is you better to stick to more natural flavors without incorporating those into your diet. So I think this is an ongoing conversation that nutrition professionals are up in arms in arguing that labeling foods ultra process versus process is taking away from the key message. For me, it's semantics. It's very easy to see if for foods overly processed, and I think it's safe to say the less of those foods you have in your diet, the better, all right, Well, moving on land, there was something that crossed my path last week talking to some of my clients. And I was talking to one of my ladies in her late forties, and she's here because her goal is to lose some body fat. You know, she wants to lose sort of eight ten fifteen kilos, and she's kind of coming out of that period with her kids. She's got more time to focus on herself. And you know, we were just talking about weight in general, and I said to her, look, the scales are important, absolutely, we do want to make sure you're in fat loss and losing size. But even for me at the age bracket you're in, it's actually much more important to me that your waist is coming down because that's a direct measure of fat loss. And her waist is in its mid nineties, which is suggestive she's got at least ten kilos of body fat to lose. And I definitely want my ladies waste in their low eighties, if not slightly below. If I can get a waste to seventy five seventy am, I'm very happy because that's certainly a marker of disease risk, but I thought it warranted a conversation about that. Leanne and you had a good example about one of your clients as well, because when I'm working with my women in their forties and fifties, I want them to build a body that is strong and functional into their senior years, because it's not better to be thin, even though aesthetically we might feel into certain clothes. Certainly, observing people I know who are overly thin, I also know that they've got very little muscle mass because they've either lost a lot of weight even using drugs like oz and peak, and lost a lot of muscle mass, and I can see that their frame is small and they're almost getting a hunched overlook. So I can see as they get older that lack of muscle mass is not going to protect their skeleton. They're going to be more prone to falls and fractures, and it's a frail type physique. Whereas I see my women and even myself as sure we could all be five kilos lighter, but is it not better to be strong and functional and maintain that level of muscle mass with a lean wist, because that is going to lean your body in good shape. To keep very active, to lift and play with your grandchildren, to be off to hype for long periods of time, and as long as that WISTE measurement is low. In many cases, I don't really care what the weight is as long as you are functionally fit and feeling good in your body. So that might be eighty kilos, but if you've got a waste of eighty two, I'm actually not worried about it. So I just think it's good to talk about the importance of body composition. And the example we wanted to give was when you do lose weight, and in particular for our listeners who perhaps are planning tour of lost large amounts of weight, it is impossible to just lose body fat without losing muscle mass. They go together. The body doesn't say, oh, well, I'm only going to lose body fat. It's a cycle and you will lose both. So certainly, when we're starting out with our clients, we are prepared to accept somebody fat and muscle mass loss. And the question came up because my client had noticed a drop on the body composition scales in her muscle mass, and I said, as long as it's relatively small compared to the fat mass. I'm happy, but ultimately we do need to pull the muscle mass down. So say, if you're losing ten kilos, probably one or two of that will be muscle mass. And then over time, once I've got your weight down to where you want to be or your waist, let's do a body composition scan and see where your body fat is sitting, but also your muscle mass, and in some cases that will then direct the style of training you do. Because if you've never trained in your life, if you didn't from athletic background, if you didn't do a lot of sports as kids, if you've never lifted weights, your muscle mass is probably relatively low for your age and your size, and as you get older, we probably do want to build some of that tissue through your torso, through your legs, through your buttocks, so that you're creating a strong frame that is fit and agile as you get older, so to me as part of that journey. Sure, and this is particularly relevant for anyone using a weight loss medication like ozen Peak, where you will lose large amounts of weight, it's okay to bring it down slightly get to where you want to be focused on a waste measurement as a measure of body fat loss, and then over time will scan you and rebuild your body composition so you're strong and fit and agile to move through those senior years. So it's like a project to set you up for a strong and fit and healthy middle late period through your life.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I'm super super passionate about that as well, particularly with my ladies, because we do know that the research shows that once you hit the age of forty, your muscles drops off by about two to three percent every year.
Speaker 2: So it is.
Speaker 1: Literally that age old saying, what is it that if you don't use it, you'll lose it? Basically, So if you're not utilizing and building your muscle mass, it will slowly decrease over time.
Speaker 2: And that is just you in a normal state.
Speaker 1: If you put yourself into a calorie deficit to drop some body weight, as Susie said, naturally a small amount of that will be hopefully a lot of that will be fat loss, and naturally some of that will be a little bit of muscle mass as well. There are some things that you can do, and certainly this is where I work a lot with my clients to say, all right, we want to minimize as much muscle loss as possible and really try to hold onto that muscle mass and really try to just drop body fat. And you can do that by making sure the calorie deficit is only slight. You know, if you're going to drop ten kilo super quickly, you do some awful crash diet and you get ten kilos off in eight weeks or something, the large majority of that may potentially be muscle mass. But if you do it in the right way, where you've dropped ten kilos slowly and sustainably over six to twelve months, you're very likely going to hold onto that precious muscle mass. So there's slower you lose it. The better it is from a muscle and a metabolic perspective. Also, the higher your protein intake is, the more likely you are to hold onto that muscle mass. Also, if your protein intake is more evenly distributed throughout the day, the more likely you are to hold onto that muscle mass.
Speaker 2: And that comes into reason.
Speaker 1: If you're eating three and a half grams of protein per kilo of body weight, it's just far too much, so more is not better. But you absolutely need to have enough protein and as much as possible evenly spread that throughout the day. And the third thing we want to do to try and retain as much muscle mass as possible is do some form of weight or resistance training. The guidelines say at a minimum of twice a week. Ideally, I like my ladies if we can aiming for three to four sessions a week. And this is where I take a lot of my ladies who might come to me with the goal of, say ten kilos of weight loss, and they're in those you know, peri or metopause or years, and I might say, all right, we've got to drop ten kilos of body fat, but we want to maintain as much muscle mass as possible.
Speaker 2: Typically, those ladies in that.
Speaker 1: Sort of fifty forty five fifty year age group are walking or doing some form of like coladoes or hot yoga. And that's where I will flip that and say, okay, cool, I don't mind you doing that, but let's do that on two to three days of the week, and I want you to start with. It might be a PT, it might be some home based workouts. It might be going to train with their you know, teenage son who who knows a lot about weightlifting, all that sort of thing, and just training in their home gym. So we'll get them started on some form of resistance or weight based training program to start with two days a week, and then what we find is that they actually start to enjoy it. They love how functionally fit they're becoming. They can carry all the shopping in with you know, from the car with you know, in one trip, instead of having to do two or three trips. They can play with the grand kids, they can toss them up in the air. They love that feeling and feeling fit and strong, and they naturally will build off two days a week and increase to three and increase to four. So over time they're choosing to get stronger as their body gets, you know, functionally more fit. So they're a couple of things that we can do to really ensure that we minimize as much muscle loss as possible. Is keeping our protein intake higher and evenly distribute it throughout the day, not putting ourselves in too large of a calorie deficit. Anything over about twenty percent, you're very likely going to be eating into that muscle mass a little bit more. And also making sure that the slower you lose it kind of the better it is. And doing some form of resistance training at a minimum of two but ideally sort of three to four days a week if you can. If you can't fit that in no worries. You just do what you can. But you've got to do something. Gone to the days where it's like, oh, you'll be fine, just pick up some weight training in your seventies, Absolutely not. By then you're probably already osteoporotic. You've probably got some form of sycopenia or muscle wasting already going on, and it's probably a little bit too late. And the final thing I'll say here, su is is the gold standard when it comes to body composition is a dexa scan. So if you have never had a dexic scan in your life and you are over the age of women I say maybe fifty, I would highly recommend that you do that A to check your bone mineral density risk and your risk of something like osteoporosis, and B it can also show you your fat mass and muscle mass distribution as well. You want to make sure that if you are using it from a body composition perspective, you're going in getting that scan first thing in the morning, before you really eat or drink anything. If you're just doing it from a bone mineral density perspective, you can go at any time of the day, but like most body composition forms of measurement, you really want a measurement that can be repeated more accurately over time. So if you get that first thing in the morning, before you exercise, before you eaten, before you drink, it's more repeatable and.
Speaker 2: Accurate to measure over time.
Speaker 1: You might get a dexa once a year, and if you're doing it at the same time each day, it's far more accurate to repeat that measurement over time. So you don't want to go into a dexiclinic and get a scan at three pm after you've exercise, after you've had a couple of meals that day, because it might not be as accurate if you're going to repeat that later on. So they are highly influenced by your exercise for the day, what you've eaten, and what you've drunk. So if the goal is to use it for your bone mineral density analysis, plus also a body composition analysis to check your muscle and fat mass, you do want to get that first thing in the morning. And that's the reason why a good dexiciclinic will actually open it probably like six am, to actually allow people to get those scans quite early on before they actually commence the day.
Speaker 2: So that's the last thing I'll say.
Speaker 1: And if you've got a little bit of private health industry, you may be able to claim that dexis scan, particularly if you're getting a dietitian to interpret the results for you as well.
Speaker 3: And just one last comment.
Speaker 4: Whenever you see a diet like lose ten kilos in ten weeks, I would estimate that at least half of that is muscle mass loss. And the reason that Leanne and I can tell that is that we know how long it takes to metabolize fat. So for someone who has a lot of weight to lose, they on average can lose about a kilo a week of body fat, maybe a little bit more if they exercise a lot, but let's be honest, people who have a lot of weight to lose don't tend to be massive exercises, so it's usually about a kilo a week, whereas my Lena ladies. Initially they might lose a bit more, but it's usually fluid, and I know they're losing about half a kilo a week body fat, or about a centimeter around their waste measurement. So I guarantee you if people are losing ten kilos in ten weeks, which I don't think is feasible anyway. For most most of it is a mix of fluid and muscle, with maybe three four kilos of fat max. So don't be misled by those fad diets. And they're always pushed by people who aren't dietitians because they can say whatever they like and get those results. You'll never hear a dietitian say you can lose ten kilos in ten weeks, because you literally can't. You're losing muscle mass and stuffing at me metabolism over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you can, but scale weight is not body fat, So that ten kilos might be, as Susie said, four or five kilos of fat mass, but four or five kilos of muscle mass. And the chances are you're going to put it back on anyway, because it was unsustainable to begin with, and when you put it back on, you're actually at a worse place than when you started because metabolically, you've down and regulated because you've been in such a huge calorie deficit. You haven't been doing the proper weight training, and you haven't been eating enough protein to get that ten kilos off, So metabolically you're far worse off, which means that not only do you put the ten kilos back on often, you put back on even more. You might put back on eleven or twelve over time, so you actually end up heavier than where you initially started, which is why we never ever recommend crash darting or fad diets or anything super restrictive to get the weight off initially. If you can't maintain what you're doing to lose the weight longer term, just on more calories, it's probably not the right diet for you, which is why we always advocate not only just working with the registered health professionals such as a dietitian or a registered nutritionist, We actually recommend that you work with somebody who understands fat loss, because not all dietitians are trained and sustainable fat loss. Not all dietitians understand how body composition works. You know, dietitians are trained fundamentally in medical nutrition therapy, but that doesn't actually cover fat loss. It's sort of an extra area of upskilling. So if the goal is body fat loss or a little bit of body composition, I would actually seek out a dietitian who's properly trained in that area, not just a normal dietitian or a normal nutritionist or a normal health coach, because chances are they don't actually know what they're doing and you could end up doing more damage metabolically to yourself long term.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: All right, well on to our next segmency.
Speaker 1: We found some collagen moves in the supermarket, So talking about process and ultra processed foods, this will be an interesting one because I had a client send this to me and she was like.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: And I saw it in wool West and I just sort of said to her, look, it looks good on paper.
Speaker 2: I don't know how it tastes. It's not relatively cheap.
Speaker 1: At the same time, but also I'm sort of like, is that a whole food ingredient? Probably not, Like, I don't know how they're going to get some sort of protein. Moose is quite interesting, So I thought, let's reveal on the potty and give it a go, so it is the no way, so no way, it's pretty clever.
Speaker 2: No way.
Speaker 1: Collagen moose in chocolate flavor, twenty four gram sachet, so it looks like a single serve sashet retails for three ninety five at wool West. And it was in the you know, like the health foody type section, the protein section where you get all the protein bars. It was in that section. So the packet says no artificial colors or flavors, rich chocolate flavor, seventeen grams of protein, three grams of carbs in dairy and gluten free, and that's all I can see.
Speaker 2: Seits you.
Speaker 1: I'll get you to run through the ingredient list because I don't have that in front of me. It's sort available online.
Speaker 4: Yes, I found this is an interesting product. I hadn't seen it before. But there's huge interest in collagen as a skin booster, particularly to get a little bit older. And so it doesn't list ingredients in a similar way as the statin products would in terms of amounts and references. But it's got hydrolyzed bobine collagen peptides, so it's certainly not a vegetarian product. Bobine gelatin, natural flavors, cocoa powder at six percent, which is quite a high percentage, sodium alginate which is probably some sort of binder, a kasia which I think is a binder, gum, and stevia, so it's actually reasonably clean ingredient wise, and certainly when I take a look at the nutritional panels, so a sachet gives you less than one hundred calories just eighty three a massively and seventeen crams of broteine. Very low fat, it's like less than one grams of fat perserve and low fat product less than two grams of carbohydrate perserve, so insignificant, no sugars because they're using stevia to sweeten a little bit of dietary fiber, which is random like where's that gum? Is tiny and then very little sodium in it. So you know, for me, and if you liked this product and needed more protein in your diet, I wouldn't have an issue with my clients having it, because I haven't tried it and I don't myself like mussy type things. But if you liked it and wanted to have it as you're after dinner dessert, that's high in protein for less than one hundred calories. I give it a thumbs up. I don't know what do you think.
Speaker 1: I don't mind it, but I will say that if you need more protein in your diet from a muscle building perspective, do not use collagen. This is a huge misconception in the industry that all protein is the same. Collagen protein lacks the essential amino a said lucine, So lucine really stimulates or turns on that muscle protein synthesis. So if your goal is body recomposition, you want to drop body fat, gain a little bit of muscle mass, do not use collagen as your protein source.
Speaker 2: Sousia.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you the amount of clients who come to me and they're like, hey, I need some help. I think I'm doing pretty good, Like I'm taking collagen powder with my smoothie, so I'm getting enough protein at breakfast, and after their gym session, I'm like, ah, we need to change the collagen protein powder into a WPI to really help you build some lean muscle mass because it doesn't have enough lucine. You need to ensure that your protein powder, if it's a WPI or away based protein, it would automatically have that this is just more important for a vegan based protein or something like collagen, where it needs to have at least two to three grams of lucine per serving to actually initiate that switch, which we know that fires up that muscle protein growth essentially. So I don't like it from the fact that if you're using it as like a post workout gym kind of treat, but I don't mind it if you're just using it from a collagen perspective. So I think leave collagen as collagen. We know that there is some research around helping with skin elasticity, We know it helps with hydration in the skin. We do know that there's some good research for collagen, but that's sort of where it stops. There's nothing really that it supports anything to do with gut health or intestinal barrier. And we also do know that collagen shouldn't be used for muscle building. So to me, I kind of separate those two things, like leave collagen as collagen and leave protein as more WPI or a good blend of a vegan proten powdered with at least two to three grams of loosine in it. So that's my little side tangent to this, But I don't mind it overall as just I guess like a bit of a what is it like a sweet kind of dessert, like it's a moose, So yeah, I think it gives you a good hint of collagen.
Speaker 2: Does it list how much collagen?
Speaker 1: Because again, we know from the research that we'd ideally want at least three to five grams of collagen per serving if you're using that for the benefits of skin house.
Speaker 4: It has to be heaped, though, doesn't it because there's nothing else in it like you would think, so, well, there's only collagen peptides and bovine gelatin. That's not going to have protein direct with seventeen grams, you'd have to assume.
Speaker 1: But it makes me worry that they don't list how much collagen is in it.
Speaker 3: But if collagen peptides are the first ingredient.
Speaker 1: We've established, it in't by law that they need to need to put it in their labeling someone.
Speaker 4: But well, it's not in a strange product, but gelatin doesn't. It could be wrong here, but I don't think gelatin's coming in with protein, is it. But if the first ingredients are collagen peptides, it would have to have a reasonable amount of seventeen grams, so you would think so, yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's one for our listeners to investigate themselves. If you are taking collagen, the research is three to five grams, isn't it. I'm just pulling that number off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But also, what I think with people who like something sweet after dinner, I think freezing these kind of products and using it like an ice cream can work quite well.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so it's not a huge, huge, huge thumbs up, but I don't see anything really wrong with it. It is probably what I would define would you define that as.
Speaker 2: A process food? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Process?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe halfway between a process and ultra process food. It's really discussion for another day. But yeah, I don't see anything too wrong with it. I think for four bucks a pop, it's not like you're going to be having it every single night.
Speaker 2: That would really hit you wallet if you were.
Speaker 1: But I think, you know, occasionally is a bit of a sweet after dinner option. I don't really see too much wrong with it. I think it's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, all right, Well onto more exciting topics. We am because we're going to talk dumplings, which is a subject very close to your in my heart.
Speaker 2: To love some dumplings.
Speaker 4: I was a late adopter of the dumplings. I didn't eat dumplings probably until about two or three years ago, which is just like, don't even ask me why. But I've now become a massive convert. And this is a listener question that came in from our Instagram to ask about are they actually healthy? Because of course you might go to a restaurant and they're deep fried and you think, god, it can that actually be healthy? So we're going to talk about supermarket dumplings today because I think there's quite a lot to talk about now. The first thing I am looking for in a dumpling is has it got added flavor enhances? Because to me, as soon as they've got added MSG, I'm not a fan. I don't think that's good to be adding that in. You're already it's already a product you consume with soy sauce. So I'm pleased to say that most of the mainstream bands and supermarkets no longer contain added MSG. And we have spoken about the Audi dumplings, which are extremely cost effective, and they too have a very clean list in terms of no added MSG.
Speaker 3: I've just done a bit of.
Speaker 4: A wreki in the main supermarket brands, and it's generally only the cheaper brands that sort of retail for that it's a cheaper price point per packet at four or five dollars. Those brands do tend to still contain it, whereas the main ones, which is Diana Chair and Mister Chens, those brands don't have it in which is great. Now, the indicator of dumpling quality is the percentage of protein or pork in it. Now, obviously that's different if you're having vegetarian dumplings, but if you're having traditional whether it's pork or chicken, whichever, And basically the higher the percentage of meat in there, the better and the shorter the ingredient list is leanne and I've discussed today when it comes to the processing of food. So the highest amounts of protein you'll find ranges from about twenty five up to even thirty nine percent in one of them. Now, they're tricky with their labels because what they do. They say the filling is sixty percent, and then you've got to work backwards how much percentage of the pork or chicken it is. Some at the bottom will say overall amount, but I'm looking for at least twenty five and as I said that one of the diner chains got to thirty nine percent chicken, which is huge. So the other thing I want to say about dumplings is that whether you prefer chicken or pork, can you find one that's twenty five thirty thirty five percent pro tem which are certainly available. I would say that you have to remember that dumplings in isolation are not a meal. So if you just have twelve fifteen dumplings, it's too much. A serve of dumplings I would say is about six maybe eight, And then you have to complete the meal with the vegetable component. So for example, if you use cauliflower rice as the base, that you can do as a fried rice, or you might do it with greens, your bockchoy or your Asian greens. You've got to complete the meal. And when you complete the meal, you only will get through six or eight or so dumplings, because what happens is if you just put all of that product with the soy in your bowl, you'll eat one hundred of them because they've got a really moorish taste because of the yamami flavor coming from the soy sauce. So that's probably my main message. The main supermarket brands are pretty good. Short of the ingredient lists, the better look for the ones with at least twenty five up to thirty thirty five percent protein pork, whichever your filling is. And then you've got to complete it as a meal. A dumpling meal is not twenty dumplings. It's six eight, maybe ten you're a big guy. But yeah, you've got to bulk the meal out and put the rest of it in the plate, otherwise you'll just keep eating them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also the way you cook it, obviously, because I think a lot of you know, restaurants and young trap places offer like steamed options but also the deep fried options. But even the steamed options are not completely steamed. Often what they do is they fry the bottom of them off to make them nice and crispy on one side, and then they put water in the pan and then they steam them after that, so there is still you know, a bit of extra oil if you are getting them from like dimsem places as well. How I like to do it at home, Sousie is use you know my pants, spray a little bit of oil in there, fry the bottom off, but not nothing too crazy. I'm not adding a quarter of a cup of olive oil or anything into my pan. And then I'll pour about half a cup of water in there, put the lid on, and steam them until the water runs dry, essentially, take the lid off, and then just move them around the pan to chrismen them for the last couple of minutes. And I find that that makes them like really nice in crispy. And then in my separate pan, I'm making my veggies essentially, and I like to serve my dodumplings with broccolini, zucchini, mushrooms.
Speaker 2: I'll put a little bit of ginger and.
Speaker 1: Garlic in my as well, and then sometimes I'll throw in a little bit of Asian greens, like some buck tooy, some punck tooy as well, because I do like to serve at least sort of a third or half a plate of vegetables with my dumplings, and like you, I would tend to do. I probably do between six to ten depending on the size. You know, sometimes you can get quite long ones, whether they're dumplings, whether they're goosas, whether they're you know, sometimes those little soup dumplings are quite small. Sometimes other goyosas are quite big as well. So it really does depend on the size of it. But overall, ideally you'd like to get in about twenty grams of protein overall, but to get in twenty proteins, if that means that you're eating twenty dumplings, you probably want to find that protein in another source.
Speaker 4: Put it that way, true, true, true, true, But yeah, we're big fans. But it's just getting the balance right in the portion control is key.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Oh Sousy brings us to the end of another episode of the Nutrition Couch. Again, we thank you for you listening and for your support. We couldn't do this without you, guys, and we're so proud to have our little family of nutrition catch listeners every week. So if you know that your diet needs a little bit more protein and you weren't where, we have designed a particular formulated high protein range of supplements at designed by Dietitians dot Com. We have our Nourish Women's Hormone Blend and we have our Nourish pre and Probotic Guthouse blend as well, so you'll find both of them at designed bydietitians dot com. Thank you for listening and we will catch you guys on next week's episode.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.