Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast, Happy Tuesday, tenth of October on Today's show, Papers as rocks, paper rock, rock, paper scissors. Either way, eat my aus. We're going to get to the bottom of that. And there's a video of it on social media. Hopefully you find it entertaining.
Speaker 2: MAMMAE can I listen to Flex and Frooms Flex and froms Okata.
Speaker 1: We have heard the jokes okay boomer okay, boomer boomers XYZ boomers x y z. It's time that we redress this inequality miss ag ism and look at the facts, the hard facts, and that is that Gen Z people are being scammed at a higher rate than boomers as now, can you believe it?
Speaker 2: Flex? That is very surprising to be growing up with the Internet, to be so savvy on how the Internet works, learning all these micro languages and different ways of being to interact with people, and you're getting scammed at a higher rate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They've just overtaken older Australians as the nation's most financially impacted age demographic, so Gen Z age between eighteen and twenty five are most likely to fall for these scams, with twenty three percent of zoomers revealing their personal information or money has been swindled when using an online marketplace. Not marketplace, just say marketplace, just say it so. In twenty twenty two, scam has managed to swindle over three billion dollars from Australians, with Gen Z millennials emerging as the primary targets even though they're considered more tech savvy. That's an eighty percent raise on the year prior. Washing scams top the list eighty percent, remote access scams, threats involving life for arrest, identity theft scams, employment related scams, online shopping scams, and classified add scams. They all add up. Obviously. I'm thinking straight away Facebook, Mark club Place with There was a little period about six months ago where a guy would be like, Yeah, I want to buy this thing, and then my cousin's coming in ten minutes, like can you wire me the money or something.
Speaker 2: I understand those text based phishing skills where you think you're getting a text message from oz Post about your new package, you clink the link to follow the follow the tracking. I get that. You know when you get a text message from someone pretending to be the ato pretending to be medicare pretending to whoever like those ones feel like, oh okay, I can understand everything else though, hmmm, so what do we do with this information? For me, be.
Speaker 1: Cautious of deals that seem too good to be true. Bargains are enticing, but if something is advertised as an unbelievably low price, verified its authenticity. This happens in my experience with home wears online. Like you'll see a beautiful lamp on TikTok or like in the side of an article and you'll click it. This has happened to my mum, and it was something that I sent her. So I'm meditated. I have been a victim of the scam, victim by proxy. Exactly was her money. You typically shouldn't have to and you feel stupid when that happens.
Speaker 2: I can't relate, but I imagine you will. I have.
Speaker 1: I had, actually like second embarrassment. You typically shouldn't send money to receive funds. That sounds obvious, but there have been times where I have almost been enticed. Banks generally do not require you a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of trade. If you send me five hundred dollars of you a thousand dollars gift card.
Speaker 1: Just buy this Semmon gift card off me. Okay, exercise caution. We're making electronic payments because PAYID is a legitimate payment method. It's managed by banks. So if something goes all right, you won't receive an email asking like verify your pay ID. You will never get that from a bank. Verify the credibility of the buyer or seller. So if they've got no profile information, you can probably assume that something's not quite right. Scrutinize what you're asked to download A click, oh our download stuff?
Speaker 2: Willy nilly, do you know what the thing is? I think this is a consequence of not having enough distance from the Internet and tech because everything we watch kind of gets filtered with the same eyes entertainment. I don't think that we're trained enough to view to be discerning about information individually, because how we use our phone is mostly allegedly. We trust a lot of things that come from it. It's our source of oneness and entertainment. I think when you get a bit of distance, like, for example, when someone sends me a screenshot and says, hey, is this sus I could immediately be like, oh, wait, yeah, that doesn't look right to me. Getting some distance in this stuff really helps. But also people need to I mean, I'm not gonna say people need I found it helpful talking more. What I say by this is like, for example, talking to a friend the other day who got a text message from TNT Express. We've been talking for weeks about like how we're not shopping as much and being more mindful of purchases. So I was like, why would you get a message from TNT when you hadn't shopped for anything. It was a scam, but you think I might have the goodye that I forgot about. That's why I'm saying, because we talked more, she was able to be like I knew what she was doing in her life. I knew because imagine if you're here, like I'm furnishing a hap, you don't tell me he's getting scam left, right and center. Now a steple, check what you been looking at recently? How's that going?
Speaker 1: What I do is when I order stuff, I'll write it a list in my phone. Just this the final thing, which is actually a call to action of what you guys can do if you are falling victim to a scam. Reported to the A Triple C's scam Watch websites or website called scam Watch.
Speaker 2: I've done this, really, did I not tell you?
Speaker 1: No, babe?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Really quickly. So when I was finishing my Hope Art House, majority of what I bought I either got handmade or I got it from Facebook marketplace. But then I kept getting these ads to one of those really cool like interior design companies where everything is like computer computer rendered and not real, but it come up heaps off and I saw other influencers promoters. I was like, oh, surely it must be real. I bought a big amount of stuff and they'd even set me like progress photos of it being made. But then it just never came. After months, and I would call them, call them, call them. Then they would call me and be like, oh my god, yes, it's it's coming coming. And then one day I was like, you know, I'm just gonna like storm the office. No, storm the office. It was apparently in Surrey Hills. When I went to go check the address, it wasn't in Surrey Hills. Their land light and disconnected the whole thing anyway, So then I reported them to the A Triple C. This whole thing. I remember I was at Hayman Island luxury resort doing this. I feel like a baddy slay. Anyway, fully reported them to a Triple C. The racy either contacted them and then they refounder the money straight away. Yep, okay, so you can get a refund. Well, not from a Triple C. The scammers were like, we wasn't a scam. We were gonna deliver it to you. You just like you blew out loads blah blah blah. But then I was like, give me the money.
Speaker 1: Bob, give me the bloody money. Paper scissors rock. It's as old as time itself in terms of brokering deals in the playground and beyond. I was in New York the other day. It's giving freaking flyer. For some reason, around this big table of like ten people, we decided to do paper sciss as rock. I don't remember what we were rocking off, but we did it.
Speaker 2: Even that term rocking off, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is it sexual? Isn't it? No?
Speaker 2: Please continue?
Speaker 1: I want to know. So I said, paper scissors rock. I put it on my story. Why am I getting blowback in the DM.
Speaker 2: Because I'm already confused with how you're approaching this topic. Very serious, to be honest. Okay, well, it's scissors paper rock. Paper scissors rock was never what it was. It's scissars paper rock. You're crazy scissors paper rock.
Speaker 1: Why would it be scissors paper rock.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't it be Caissar's paper rock.
Speaker 1: It's paper scissors rock.
Speaker 2: It's serious. It's a gradation. It's like slow picking up speed, like climax. That's the vibe siss paper rock. It's climactic, goes up. It's not papers rock. That's very brutish for you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna add a little bit of a cultural context lens to this glancation because it is uncreated. You guys are from New South Wales, corect and that's quite literally New South Wales thing. Every single person who says is paper rock. I got on the profile Sydney moti A give him monibil prima score paper scissars rock. But here's a few other techniques very suggested Scissar's paper rock, like the deep.
Speaker 2: Let's just play a game three two one go paper. This is cross cultural barriers.
Speaker 1: They do crop up from time to time on the show.
Speaker 2: Mickey, Let's play ready three to one. Go cissus, paper rock, get out. That's fluid.
Speaker 1: Okay, come on, so you get girl.
Speaker 3: Paper okayper three okay, ready three to one, goss Rock.
Speaker 2: Get to the bar and there it is, and there it is. It doesn't work. It was always paper rock. It doesn't need more than one.
Speaker 1: Go anyway, Guys, tonight go home to your family and play the game and see the hurt larity ensue you with friends on.
Speaker 4: Cater Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for flexies.
Speaker 2: Big question of the week, I ask you a question. It would be like a moral dilemma or something that has been just tickling at the edges of my brain and I just want to know what you think and why you think that way. So this question in particular is a little secret one from a new edition of my conversation card game Reflex. It's the fourth game, and I really ate with this question, So listening is open comprehension. Hats on. The question is if it was possible to love every single person in the world like you had the capacity to love them romantically, platonically, professionally, how would you then pick your partner if you knew that everybody was really an option? How would you pick me? Well, I'm just posting the question, don't answer, just yeah. I see you thinking though and I like that. What I will say is that we are going to post this question as well on our Instagram story. It's flex and rooms. You can put your thoughts, in your feelings into the question box in particular, and then on Thursday we're gonna reveal all of your answers and see if there's like a common denominator. I have a feeling. Actually no, no, I'm not gonna faint. I'm gonna try. They're gonna pick, well, oh, you're gonna pick with your heart, your mind, and your soul.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you what I think on Thursday?
Speaker 2: Okay, because I don't want people to listen to this and just steal your answer.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what happens.
Speaker 2: It happened. Alagiarism is real, It's very real.
Speaker 1: Forty five Actually good Tinder Bios. There's an article from Cosmo that our dear Mickeyani has brought in to make my life easier. And we wanted to look at these because I think they're actually bad. And here at the show, we'd like to make sure that our listeners are informed and up to date with everything of how to not or how to live a life well lived, I'd say, okay, if you want a funny bio, this article says, the best quality you can have is my girlfriend being able to tell me what moved your show. That one actor is from on board, second one not from a family that runs five k's on holidays. If I love that, Yeah, that's good. This is really I think this is just as important as asking someone if they're a Simpsons person, because it will dictate how much you guys have in common. I'm sorry, but that was my religion growing up free, seeking something casual, like a life altering love affair that forever shifts our understanding the world, in our place in it, and makes us question the very nature of love it self. Again, nothing serious. I don't want anyone talking about love or romance. I want to see Yeah, I want to see you do it in real such exactly four. We could talk to our therapists about one another controversial take.
Speaker 4: I saw you tick that one and you like that. No, you are the same person said not to mention therapy on dating. I'm ticking it off, saying done. I don't have to say that out loud again, we.
Speaker 1: Could talk to out the about each other. I don't want to know. Okay five, if you haven't a side about me about the social dynamics of the party we're at, I'm not interested.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: And that just means that you're not interested in a otherpological things, which is not cool in our show. Here are some edgy bios.
Speaker 2: Are they giving these us these bios as in like repurpose them because they they're good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, But that's the issue with dating apps is that when you scroll through all of these bios of seemingly different peoples, they're all like poor versions of the one you saw just before. And you know, you know, and I don't know if this is like it's a sixth sense, but you can match someone's humor, especially internet humor, to what they look like and the photos that they're showing you. It's all a specific language. And I know when someone's plagiarizing their jokes, yeah, you know, because like people are so good at being charismatic virtually in a way they can't alsen back up in real life. And I see it too many times.
Speaker 1: You're see it right now, you know, it's no, it's not true.
Speaker 2: You're so charming. But you see those people, they know the right memes to use, the right photos to use, the right emojis to use, and then you meet them in real life and you're like, oh, you were putting on a mask and you didn't even know, and it's slipping. It's slipping. Please read out some more.
Speaker 1: I definitely do masking other ways, so don't worry. It happens to the best of us. Sorry, but I actually don't care that much about your dog. No, that is a horrible that's rude. Even that's rude. Even I know that's rude. Really mean, we could ruin each other's lives together.
Speaker 2: I'm not interested.
Speaker 1: That's very twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: And you're telling in yourself with that one. You're really telling yourself.
Speaker 1: Looking for someone who will never ever suggests we go on a hiking date. Just tell me you dried up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you want to trying new things. I personally want to go hiking, but you know, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Gonna write it down. I like a girl that goes to the gym. Okay, I'm not looking for someone to ruin my life for me, So I'm looking for someone to ruin my life me so I don't have to do it for myself.
Speaker 2: Weapon I know, I don't like these self deprecation ones. I don't know if this is what is the what is the theme for these ones? Because they all have the same negatively geared approach and it's not funny.
Speaker 1: It's giving like the opposite of lady in the streets freaking the bed. It's like you're freaking the streets and you're like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Scared speaking the streets and liked in the sheet.
Speaker 4: Off this.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do a couple more than I'm going to end it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a threat.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is a great one.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: This is if you're like, I'm not a very funny person, but you want a combo starter, seeking new songs for my commute, hit me with the best from your playlist. If you're a straight woman and you're looking for.
Speaker 2: An artie boy that I know, is this a new mating call.
Speaker 1: No, not for me, babe.
Speaker 2: This is you know you've you've said last time that like it's really boring to hear about people's dreams if you're not in them. I don't want to hear about I don't want a music recommendation randomly, especially when someone hasn't made an assessment about it, like you haven't already seen my listen to someone just like raw, Hey, listen to these five songs? No, that's twutes? What how are you making that assessment? I don't want to hear. I don't want music recommendations from strangers. All right.
Speaker 1: The last one confident Bios. This is for when you're not afraid to show on what you got, okay, and what they'll be missing if they wipe left a threat.
Speaker 2: They're missing saving money on therapy.
Speaker 1: All right, This is the last one. Don't swipe right unless you've been to therapy, please and thanks. All right. My final word on this whole saga that has taken at least ten minutes off my life, Well, it literally has, because I took about ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Just be yourself, you Frooms. It's really been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.