Speaker 1: My name's Noon. I'm a storyteller on Fine and Tell. I'm Australian born Korean and I'm currently living on Gadigle Country. I'd like to recognize the traditional custodians of this continent whose land was stolen nearly two hundred and fifty years ago, in particular the Camaragle and Wornderi people whose land this podcast was recorded on, and we extended our respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Right Islander peoples. The rich storytelling history of the world's oldest living culture is what we pay homage to when we tell stories on Fine and Tell.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome back to Find and Tell the search for the next generation of Australian storytellers. I'm Jamilla Risby and after a nation wide search, we found four budding storytellers. We've taught them the ropes of podcasting and set them loose to find and.
Speaker 3: Tell some stories.
Speaker 2: Each episode, two of our storytellers go head to head and share a story they've created based on a theme, and just like you, I'm hearing them for the first time before I gather my thoughts and decide the episode's winner. No pressure, right, every win puts our storytellers closer to being crowned our Find and Tell champion and winning a whole bunch of goodies from our friends at Rhode. Last episode, it was Ben who took home the points, and now we're about to hear from two new storytellers who will battle it out over today's theme. Unlikely Allies, All right, let's unearth our next storyteller.
Speaker 4: Hi. My name is Mark Mariano. I am a queer Filipino writer, model, and comedian from Blacktown in Western Sydney on dark Land. I love capop, I love thrifting. I love having a good bookie and telling a good story. I'm currently a freelance writer. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades. I've done stuff in TV, social media, spoken word, Melatus gig was a food writing one, but there were more stories outside of the food world that I wanted to tell. So my friend sent me this incredible call out for Find and Tell and it sounded like exactly what I wanted to do. I'm so glad that I did because the stories that we've put together are just so heartwarming, so wholesome, and I can't wait for you to hear them.
Speaker 3: Hi, Mark, welcome to find and tell Hi.
Speaker 4: Hello, how are you?
Speaker 2: It is so lovely to see you, and I'm very excited to hear all about the story that you've created and your very first story of the show.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: So this week's theme is unlikely Allies. Tell me when you first heard that theme, excited, stressed, tense.
Speaker 4: I was like, am I going to have to fight someone? Am I?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who will my allies be? Who will my unlikely allies be?
Speaker 4: My mind went in so many different directions, and then it wasn't until I spoke to one of my producers where it was like, why don't we do something a little bit more personal? Like why don't we do something that's a bit close to home? And so it's a little scary. I'm a little scared to have it out in but at the same time, I'm I think this is a really important story to tell, So I'm excited.
Speaker 3: What kind of stories do you like to hear?
Speaker 2: So put yourself in the shoes of the audience as opposed to the podcaster.
Speaker 3: What do you like to listen to?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm a bit trashy. I is good because I feel like podcasts are such an intimate form, and so when I listen to podcasts, that's where I often go when I want to hear about what a celebrity feels like or what a celebrity is going through. I feel like there's a lot of time and a lot of a lot of room on podcasts to really dig deep and really sort of be vulnerable. I'm very like person driven, and so when I search my podcast I'm like, who is who is someone that I want to know more about? Who is someone with complex traumas who presents a different way but what we want to trauma exactly?
Speaker 5: Mark?
Speaker 2: Without giving too much away, what led you to today's story?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I have a really complicated relationship with spirituality and religion, and you know, as someone who's proudly queer, I think this is something that has been on my mind on a lot, and I thought I was alone in this experience, but you know, after, you know, speaking to others who are in a similar space, you know I'm not alone, and I wanted to sort of dig a little bit deeper. What does it actually mean to be a queer person who has ties to a religion or who was born and raised in a religion like myself. So I'm hoping the episode turned out okay, and then I'm not slandering any you know, religious figures. I'm sorry, so hopefully no blessed with me today, but we'll tell a good story in the meantime.
Speaker 2: Oh, you've definitely piqued my interest, Mark, so let's get started. Let's hear you'll find and tell first story, which is all about unlikely allies.
Speaker 4: My last day as a member of the Mormon Church was just like any other Sunday. I wore a tie that strangled my double chin and a hand me down button up shirt that desperately needed an iron. I hugged my friends goodbye and ignored the weird looks from the tough boys in my scripture class that made fun of my high pitched voice. My normally heavy red Bible holder felt lighter as I swayed out of those holy whole ways. I settled in my mom's white Toyota echo Beyonce's halo blasting on the radio, and as we drove home, the church got smaller and smaller in my mother's rear view. But I never looked back once. Mormonism is one of the more illusive Christian religions, and not many people know about it. The Book of Mormon musical really helped bring it into the zeitgeist. But I'm sure I made the faith look a little silly and confusing as well. I was born into the church, and while I left it as a young teenager, I know enough to answer some frequently asked question. Gens, Can Mormons drink coffee? So under the faith's Word of Wisdom doctrine they actually can't. Something about not being able to have hot drinks. Mormons in general tend to avoid caffeine, and yes, that also means a crisp glass of Coca cola. Can Mormons get divorced? Yes, but with a lot of steps and counseling and red tape. As my parents found during theirs. What is Mormon soaking? It's weirdly not what you think. It's probably worse. So it's a bit of a premarital sex loophole, a way of getting it on without actually doing the physical act. It went viral on TikTok in case you want to go down that Internet rabbit hole, but please google at your own risk. Can Mormons be queer? Hmm? This question has been on my mind, my whole life. Can sexuality and spirituality coexist? From an official standpoint? The Human Rights Campaign reported from the church website that the experience of same sex attraction is a complex reality for many people. The attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is. The Church actually considers Mormons who act on feelings of same sex attraction to have disobeyed church teachings on morality and thus are subject to discipline. Brad Harker is the founder of the Peacock Mormons, who are working to challenge the current policies and systems in place.
Speaker 5: Peacock Mormons started in twenty eighteen. We were just a group of eighty of us. Most of us were Mormons. Some of them were friends and were allies that wanted to support us in the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, and we marched in the Mormon missionary attire, which you know is the white shirt and the badge and the tie. The badge said Elder Equality on it. We mass for equality.
Speaker 4: So I actually saw the Peacock Mormons march in the twenty twenty three Sydney Gain Lesbian Martigars parade. They were dressed in glittery gold in homage to the Golden Angel Moroneye statue at the peak of every Mormon church building. Moroneye was a warrior and a catalyst for the Mormon Church, a shining beacon, guiding people, even the founder, Joseph Smith to the faith. If I'm going to be honest, I was a little taken aback. First. I was angry that the church, in a presumably official capacity, was marching, like how dare they? After a few deep breaths, the anger subsided and a larger truth came over that other gay Mormons existed and that I wasn't alone.
Speaker 5: It was like a statement, a beautiful statement. And every time we march, we do reach out to the Mormon prophet and we write a letter and we ask him to change some of the policies.
Speaker 4: The prophet is like the Beyonce of the Mormon Church. He is a conduit to our heavenly Father and often dictates where the church stands on modern social issues.
Speaker 5: So we've made some headway. Once upon a time they had an awful rule that said, you can't baptize people if your parents are in the same sex relationship, you cannot be baptized. Which was really awful and quite an ugly rule, and they changed it two years after we marched in twenty eighteen. We weren't the only ones that asked them to change the policy. There were other people in the world that joined us as well. It was a comradeship effort.
Speaker 4: The stakes were extremely high for Brad. He's a sixth generation Mormon with pioneer lineage, but with a clear sense of self.
Speaker 5: He came out and they were shocked and Mum said, no, please like girls, Brad, please like girls. I unfortunately had to let it down and say, look, I'm dating guys now, and this is different from what you've been used to. They still deeply go to church every week they attend and they receive teachings from the church that gay is not okay. This is very difficult for them. My father has the most problems with it. MO Mum is an advocate, she's embraced she had turned around it and she voted yes for marriage equality. But my dad, my dad voted no. He voted against it.
Speaker 4: When it came to Brad's local congregation, his branch, the reaction was a little different. Homophobia ran rampant in all levels of that church, So this isn't a surprise to me at all. The loving community we build as members from birth all but falls apart when our queerness comes into play.
Speaker 5: The bishop called me up and wanted to excommunicate me, and this was an awful thing to have happened because I was gay. He said, I've heard the rumors from your wife and we want to excommunicate you.
Speaker 4: The wife in question was from Brad's second marriage.
Speaker 5: We fell out of love. My wife didn't want to be with me anymore, and so I was going through divorce. And this made me feel like I should be true to everyone about my sexuality. So as I've got the people that have turned on me and have asked me off communications, and then I've got the other side of people that have continued the communications with me and are still positive and they go to church, but they still engage with me in a positive way.
Speaker 4: While my bishop never tried to excommunicate me, at least that I know of, my experience was somewhat similar to Brad's. When I hit puberty and actualized my gayiness, I consciously uncoupled from the church. People started treating me different. There were those tough boys again, who tease that I walked to girly. There were others who did it behind my back, exchanging sinful theories, hushed conversations. I thought it was impossible for spirituality and sexuality to coexist, and I've carried that confusion and internal conflict since testing one, two three, testing huh speak Hello, Hello, oh Hello. It's like we're sitting next to each other. We are seven years away. How crazy is that? With this question heavy on my mind, I caught up with my friend Lama, a fellow queer Mormon. We met as adults, but as kids we were part of neighboring branches that would have crossed paths at some point. He left two, but he soon found his way back.
Speaker 6: I feel like I'm one of the very lucky cases where whether it's my family or the people within the church who have just like really embraced me for the person that I am to my face at least, like I always chuck it up to. These people have every single thing and they're asking to be like, I hate you, I don't want anything to do with you, but I have been met with nothing but love from my friends. Leaders A bit of a different story, but you know what, people aren't perfect, so can the two actually coexist?
Speaker 4: I was never quite sure, but Brad is.
Speaker 5: This is a misconception, a huge misconception in the gay community and LGBTQIA plus a lot of people believe that you cannot have faith and still be gay that I don't believe those two things can coexist. And this is so wrong. It's so wrong. There are so many gay people out there that have faith in a God, or spirituality or a being, and.
Speaker 4: Brad's words give me comfort. Maybe spirituality and sexuality aren't two completely different things after all. The way I see it at both their cores is a fundamental truth. Love conquers all.
Speaker 7: And has given me home with peer, with kind and.
Speaker 4: Leave me God me, saide.
Speaker 5: Me, he me fine.
Speaker 4: As much as I've drawn the line with the church, I guess there are some things about it that I hope to never shake, parts of the faith that have made me who I am now. And them thinks so too, Ingrat, that's faith in your head.
Speaker 6: That is like, you know what, even though like you've distanced yourself from the church from a very young age, it's still so present in you. Is this so crazy? Is it? It is? You're always like, is the anything I can do? Do you want me to do this? Do you want me to hold Like it's whether that is something that is ingrained in us as being members, or if that's just who you are, but like you know, it's just so present, it's still active in your mind.
Speaker 4: Leaving the church, I had to let go of so many things, the camaraderie, the community, the friendships. But they're not gone, not really, They're still here, just not in the confines of a chalky white hallway.
Speaker 2: Oh Mark, congratulations, Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: What a beautiful pace of work. And also I learned so much.
Speaker 2: You know, what really struck me was the use of music and how you used not just the voices of church choirs, but quite different church choirs to build tension, to sort of calm me back down again, and then to hear you singing at the end there.
Speaker 3: It was really elegantly done. When you went into this process.
Speaker 2: Was music something you were thinking about from the beginning or did that come in at a later stage.
Speaker 4: Music individually is such a big part of who I am. I love singing, not that well as we just heard. Actually some of those hymns are my own recording. I went to the church. I visited sacrament for the first time, I would say in like upwards of ten years more. Even more so, this is the first time I went with my sister and my mum, who are still active in the church. I recorded it and it was just like calming presents. Hymns have always been so calming for me, so I knew I definitely wanted to include that in the episode.
Speaker 2: Tell me about the two interviews with Brad and with Lamart. Why did you choose those two to speak to What did you want them to teach the audience through you?
Speaker 4: Lama, We've had so many conversations about this. It's just it's so funny. And I mentioned this in the episode. We would have seen each other at some point. We went to the same large events, we went to the same big congregations, but it was only until after we had both left the church that we had met and connected. And I think that there's an element of fate there. I think, you know, I needed to encounter someone who like me, grew up in a really similar environment. I guess I wanted to sort of know that I wasn't alone, that someone else struggled with this, that someone else had a really difficult time YEA. In terms of Brad, I think he brought a really logistical, pragmatic approach. He took some direct action, like he addressed the prophet and the presidents, some pretty high up people to make change and enact change and advocate for the queer community within the church, which to me was so shocking to hear because I'd never heard of that before. I never heard that. I knew that there were other queer people within the church, but I didn't know that there was people actively trying to make change and it was healing. It was healing. I was like, Oh my goodness, here's someone else who has figured things out in their own stage of their life and has used that empowerment to then do that for other people within the church, which is something that I'm hoping this episode does. I don't know if I'm ever going to ring up the profit. I don't know if I'm ever going to do that, but to know that there are people like Brad who are is such a healing thing for me, and I'm hoping for other people who listen to this too.
Speaker 2: You haven't eased yourself into this process in any way, have you. You've started with a combination of topics of sexuality and spirituality. You didn't like pick an easy theme to kick off. Why did you want to tell this story?
Speaker 4: I think there are just there are people who inherently struggle with those two things within them. And it was a journey that, like I said, was something that I'd been through, but so so so many other people have as well, and there are still people on this and he's struggling with that finding this perfect balance between oh my goodness, am I going to go to hell? Oh my goodness, can I love who I love freely? Or am I going to be exiled for this? Am I going to be punished for this? And that's been on my mind, I would say, since I was a little kid, and even up until now. And that is such a sad thing for a young person to go through, don't you think There's so many other things you need to be figuring out in this world, and then to then have to deal with that too must be such an intense burden.
Speaker 2: I suspect that there are a whole bunch of younger versions of yourself listening right now who are also going to benefit enormously from having heard that work.
Speaker 3: Well done. Congratulations Matt, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: That was such a powerful way to kick off Unlikely Allies. In just a moment, you will meet our final storyteller. This is fine and tell where this week our storytellers are exploring the theme Unlikely Allies. We just heard from Mark. Let's meet our next and final storyteller.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Nan. I am from Stratfield in Sydney and I work as a news journalist. I like telling stories with really interesting and strong characters. With normal news reporting, there's certain styles and durations that really restrict the way you can tell a story. And there were so many stories that we were missing out on because a lot of it ends up on the cutting room floor. And I felt this way of storytelling would be a perfect opportunity to dig a little deeper and talk to people and explore topics that Australia might never be able to hear of.
Speaker 3: Naan, welcome to find and tell.
Speaker 1: Hello, thanks for having me.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Your background is in news journalism. What did it feel like moving into a space of telling stories that don't necessarily have that strong current affairs driver.
Speaker 1: It was like learning another language. To be honest, I thought everything I knew about storytelling just went out the window, because with news reporting, it's a lot of reacting to events or things that people have said. But in this case, you're actually proactively looking for a conflict or some sort of new fresh angles. So having to unearth that from nothing was a bit of a challenge in the beginning, but I think I got there in the end, I hope.
Speaker 2: So without giving it all away, what led you to the story we're about to hear?
Speaker 1: Growing up Asian in Australia, I've always been interested in other marginalized communities in society, especially in Australia and the world. And yeah, whenever there's misconceptions about a certain group of people, I tend to into that and see if there's a reason behind that, or some truth behind that, or yeah, why it's become that way. So that is what led me down this rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go down the rabbit hole with you. This is your first contribution to find and tell on the theme of unlikely allies.
Speaker 6: There's a dangerous threat spreading across the country right now, and I'm talking about of course.
Speaker 1: Karen's maybe you know a Karen.
Speaker 8: Does it bring up some weird things for you When I say Karen, Yeah, it's taken on a whole new and somewhat negative life on social media.
Speaker 1: Or maybe you are a Karen. There's no denying the name has come a long way from its Scandinavian origin, Catherine, meaning pure Karen is now synonymous with a demanding, entitled woman with a compulsive tendency to ask for the manager. She's usually middle aged, white and has a bobcut too.
Speaker 2: My definition of Karen would probably be a lady that seems to be overly involved in other people's business.
Speaker 1: A Karen is a miserable, middle aged woman who is intent on making everyone else just as miserable as she.
Speaker 5: Is, looking down their nose at everything, just looking for something, looking for a problem everywhere.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until the pandemic that the K word became a regular fixture here in Australia. Social distancing, lockdowns and mandatory mask wearing set the stage for some very unhappy and very vocal karens. We met Karen from Brighton in July twenty twenty when she complained about the lockdown walks around her beachside suburb.
Speaker 4: Well, you get sick of walking the same streets.
Speaker 3: You know I've done I've done all of Brighton.
Speaker 1: Just a few days later, another Karen emerged, this time from Bunning's.
Speaker 7: I'm just asking if you've got a mask well, and you are not all ask me or questioned me about it.
Speaker 1: While memes come and go, it really does seem this one is here to stay. In twenty twenty two, Karen dropped out of the most popular baby names list in the US for the first time. That same year, in the UK, only one baby Karen was registered. Like family, we don't get to choose our name. We also don't get to choose if it will turn into a meme one day. So what's a Karen to do?
Speaker 4: For me?
Speaker 9: The instinct is to laugh at it is to identify that stereotype.
Speaker 1: Karen James is a TV writer from South Africa. Ever since her name became internet shorthand for a certain type of entitled woman, she's been sent every Karen meme you could think of from her friends. But she doesn't get offended. Instead, she wants to dig a little deeper.
Speaker 9: You know why. It is funny where the truth is in that where the social kind of truth and and nuances lie.
Speaker 1: Karen saw how rampant that stereotype of a privileged white woman was, especially during the pandemic, but she also saw the benefits being confident and desertive. From there, the Karen Book of Rules was born. Written with another writer named Karen Karen Shimco, the book aims to show how we can use our Karenness for good.
Speaker 9: So the current Book of Rules as a bit of a tongue in cheek self help guide very much for how to use your carendness or your Karenness, your white privilege, I guess for good, how to be the best version of a Karen in this world.
Speaker 1: The book covers a range of social situations like zoom calls, dinner parties, and for those times when you actually need to speak to the manager. There's even a Karen checklist to help people's self diagnose. After all, anyone can be a Karen.
Speaker 9: Karen's come in all genders and races and shapes and sizes, and you can be guilty of those behaviors and centering yourself in the world even if you're not a white middle class woman. The underlying thing is, oh, this eurotype exists because the white middle class women move through the world in a certain way and occupy a certain space in society, and let's look at that. Let's critically kind of examine that.
Speaker 1: Karen argues that white women have more power than marginalized women in society, so they should harness they're in a Karen that outspoken confidence to help others when they can.
Speaker 9: If you're in a context where you have some social power, can you help anyone with That? Often happens with friends that they're looking to rent an apartment and people are maybe not taking their calls because they're black or whatever it might be. I've done that for people before they've asked me, please call and find out if this is still available and use your own nice white lady.
Speaker 4: Boys.
Speaker 1: On the other end of the Karen scale is one where you choose to be in the presence of Karen's excuse me, shut up and listen.
Speaker 5: This is Karen Sharon.
Speaker 1: Pritchard here at Karen's Diner. You'll be hard pressed to find a nice word anywhere. It's an Australian restaurant chain paying some sort of tribute to the stereotypically through middle aged Karen. Customers knowingly get roasted while trying to enjoy the meal. They paid for. But if your name is Karen, you get a free drink.
Speaker 8: I mean blowing out the candles on a kid's birthday cake before a chance too, Like who gets to do that and it's accepted and their parents piss themselves laughing.
Speaker 1: Amanda Jane Pritchard is a writer, performer and comedian for Melbourne, but her stint as a Karen at Karen Steiner is by far her favorite. She found it surprisingly easy to get into character, but soon found it difficult to separate from the role she was playing at work.
Speaker 8: It gets in your system being Karen. You come out of working like a four hour, five hour shift and I would walk down lag On Street in Melbourne and I would be like getting so frustrated with people who were slow walkers, and I would just be like, get out of the road. And then one day there was a pigeon in front of me and I yelled at the pigeon. I'm like, get out of the way, pigeon.
Speaker 1: The Karen character didn't just improve a comedy, it also showed Amanda how we're all vulnerable to Karen tendencies, whether we like it or not. But it turns out it's not the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 8: It's part of I think also just culturally and we expect everything immediately now and yeah, and we all feel really entitled. There's that element of being a Karen and people expect you to be nasty, but it's more for me. I took it as being quick and funny and like trying not to do the regular stuff that.
Speaker 4: You can do.
Speaker 1: Inspired by her work at the Diner, Amanda wrote a musical comedy. It's called The Unbearable Righteousness of Being Karen. The show uses all the tropes you'd expect from a modern day Karen, but surprisingly it's the real life Karen's having the last laugh.
Speaker 8: And a lot of Karen's came loads. That's the other thing the Diner and my show, a lot of people coming whose name is Karen, and they're just they're having fun with it. If a Karen person named Karen can have fun about it, then I think that's that's the key.
Speaker 1: It's fair to say Karens haven't been having a lot of lately. In nineteen sixty five, Karen was the most popular girl's name in Australia, but it's now the butt of many jokes. Behind every joke though there's always some truth in the case of Karen's, the meme has compelled us all to think about race, gender and power in our society. Take it from a real life Karen.
Speaker 9: There is an ease that white women have in society. Quite often, they are seen as non threatening by a lot of society. They are seen as having a certain status and ability to move through social hierarchies. And so instead of just using that in a selfish way and making it about yourself and what you want and what you need, use that more broadly for other people. I think that's how we Karen for.
Speaker 3: Good, Naan.
Speaker 2: That was so great to listen to, And that phrase I'm going to Karen for right there at the end is something I think we need to put on a billboard.
Speaker 1: It's a good motto to live by.
Speaker 3: I reckon, why.
Speaker 2: For you did the story of Karen need to be explored? What did you want to tell people about?
Speaker 1: I think because it's a word that's so ingrained in our vocabulary now that we don't even think twice when we use it and noticing it when it's hurt in context, you really think about, oh, what if someone is actually named Karen, or they don't have any agency over their names, so, you know, having lived their whole lives as a normal you know Karen, and then suddenly the whole world's against them. I thought, Yeah, they surely they'd have something they'd want to share and something they want other people to rethink, and yeah, just give them a second, second chance and a second take.
Speaker 2: With this kind of journalism, I think one of the pitfalls that creators can fall into is assuming knowledge because you don't know who your audience is, right, you don't know who's put their headphones on today and listening to your story. So how did you make choices about what information you needed to share upfront and immediately so that the audience had that base level of information to come into this with.
Speaker 1: So this story, I did a lot of research and went down lots of rabbit holes about Karen's and I found out that the general consensus and sentiment around the world towards Karen's is still quite negative.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's all these hate groups against Karen's on Facebook, or all these memes and dedicated YouTube channels like you know, Karen's in the Wild, So there was quite a lot of Still I felt a lot of hatred towards them. So there were lots of ways that I thought I could have went down and to do something serious or something as you know, hard hitting that I think would probably do Karen's a disservers and would project more of their curenners.
Speaker 3: I guess so.
Speaker 1: And I got the idea from talking to Karen James, the author of the Current Book of Rules, that Yeah, humor is the best way to educate people, and I thought taking this in a lighthearted, humoristic approach would get the message across more people, and more people would be inclined to listen to or want to listen to something about Karens.
Speaker 2: So any nervousness about this being heard by an audience, how do you think people will react?
Speaker 1: I am nervous about the Karens around the world hearing this particular story as well. Amanda one of the talents that I interviewed who did a musical comedy about Karens. She had a lot of Karens ride in and try to get her show canceled.
Speaker 3: So, oh wow, we've got to prepare ourselves. Yes, yes, let's the network know.
Speaker 1: Yes, So hopefully it's received well by them. And yeah, I'm more excited because I think I've probably been keeping this a secret from most people around me and finally letting them hear everything in its full glory without all the stress and all that panic that I went through. So I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: Naon, congratulations again on your first Find and Tell story.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait to hear more.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's time for me to pick who answered the theme of Unlikely Allies the best? Is it Naar or is it Mark? You will hear from the winner in just a moment. This is Fine and Tell and the theme this week was Unlikely Allies. From the opening lines of Mark's script, I thought he created real intrigue and interest in what is a really personal story. I loved how he used music to bring a real emotional sense of place, especially his own singing.
Speaker 3: That was very brave, very brave.
Speaker 2: In the future, I'd really love to see a bit more practice from Mark on his narration. I thought it was great scripting, but sounded a little bit like he was reading sometimes. Naon was super prof professional in the way she approached this, And when we're listening to something like that, you feel really comfortable, like the person in the driver's seat has got this under control. I was concerned that the prompt for this week's episode got a little lost In Naan's episode, it felt like a tenuous link to Unlikely Allies, and there was a lot going on in this episode. I think Naan tried to take a lot of content and shove it into a very short period of time, and while it can be really challenging, I'd love to see her edit a little bit more in her future episodes. After hearing both stories, I have decided who our winner is and Hey, Mark, it's going to be you. What.
Speaker 3: Congratulations?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you, thank you for so generously sharing and taking us inside a part of your life and also a big part of who you are.
Speaker 4: Congratulations, Thank you. This isn't a win for me, This is a win for anyone else who struggles with their sexuality and their spirituality.
Speaker 2: So now you've heard from all four of our Find and Tell storytellers.
Speaker 3: Do you have a favorite yep?
Speaker 2: Find out all about them at find and tel dot com dot Au and make sure you don't miss our next episode. Just hit follow in your podcast app. Find and Tell is a co production between iHeart Australia and the black Cast podcast network. Black Cast empowers First Nations people and people of color to reclaim their narratives, strengthen cultural identity, and contribute to a more inclusive Australia by showcasing exciting emerging talent from Australian communities.