Speaker 1: Get a Peter Helly here.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet?
Speaker 3: The movie podcast, where our chat to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. In today's guests, AFL footballer Collingwood Premiership captain Darcymore.
Speaker 1: All below, I want to stay here with you. Get the jobber?
Speaker 4: Why hate?
Speaker 1: Snake shocked? Why fail?
Speaker 2: They couldn't haven't a right?
Speaker 4: No, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 3: Back in twenty four I got to say I was pretty excited when Collywood used their draft pick on father and son recruit Darcy Moore. His father, Peter played with distinction, was a Brandlow Medalist, which is the highest honor in the game for Collywood, and there were rumors that Darcy was a very good footballer and was sure to follow in his father's footsteps.
Speaker 2: And how has he done that?
Speaker 3: Well, he's bloody killed it, That's what he's done in the best possible way. Darcy Moore is not only a fantastic footballer, he's a key defender. He's played one hundred and fifty games for the Black and White. This year he became the captain of the Collingwood Football club, and this year he also brought us flag sixteenth. The sixteenth Premiership Cup arrived at Collingwood and Darcy Moore was the man who received the cup from his father alongside coach Craig McCrae, the ted Lasso of AFL football.
Speaker 2: He'm always more than just a footballer.
Speaker 3: He is the perfect modern man leading and now progressive modern club.
Speaker 2: Darcy is articulate.
Speaker 3: There are times when he has made a speech on Anzac Day or the Big Freeze where he has spoken and not just spurted out cliches, but he has put thought into his speech.
Speaker 2: Particularly on ANTC Day.
Speaker 3: I reckon there were probably seventeen other club captains in the AFL going wow, we may need to lift our game here. He is, like I said that, the perfect man to be leading a club. He is kind, he is progressive, he's articulate, he's smart. He's studying business, international business in his spare time. He's a very impressive footballer and more so an impressive young man.
Speaker 2: And I'm bloody stoked.
Speaker 3: You can obviously tell I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with my premiership skipper today.
Speaker 1: My name is Darcy Moore and my three favorite films are Kill Bill Volume one.
Speaker 5: Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with samurai swords. You may not be able to fight like a samurai, but you can at least die like a samurai.
Speaker 1: Kill Bill Volume two, Just twin as girls.
Speaker 5: What did you say to Bayama to make him snatch out your eye? I called him a miserable old fool.
Speaker 1: Bad idea. And Priscilla, Queen of the desert.
Speaker 2: What have we got here? Ay, a couple of show girls? We Where did you ladies come in from your rhinus? Could I please have a stomach?
Speaker 6: No, you can't have you can't have nothing.
Speaker 2: We've got nothing here for people like you.
Speaker 6: Nothing.
Speaker 3: Now listen here, you mullet, Why don't you just light your tampon, blow your box apart, because it's the only bang you're ever gonna get, sweetheart.
Speaker 1: And up until this week, I had never seen the eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've seen you, man book slave there for like.
Speaker 6: Five years now.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus, I thought I would have Remember, it might be the hair, what.
Speaker 6: Might it changes a lot of the color.
Speaker 7: That's why you might not recognize me.
Speaker 4: It's called blue Ruin right.
Speaker 6: Snap your name, huh?
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 7: This company makes a whole line of colors with equally snap names. Red Menace, Scale of Fever, Green Revolution.
Speaker 6: Gotta be a job coming up with those names.
Speaker 4: You think there could possibly be a job like that?
Speaker 2: I mean, how many hair colors could there be?
Speaker 6: Maybe someone's got that job, Agent Orange.
Speaker 4: I came up with that one.
Speaker 7: I apply my personality at a paste.
Speaker 2: Boy, I doubt that very much.
Speaker 3: Well, you don't know me, so.
Speaker 2: You don't know, do you.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, knows this one.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to be nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 3: Jim carries tightly Where Joel has woken up in a funk on Valentine's Day, He's car has been sod swatted. He, against all instincts, impulsively heads to a beach in Montauk. On a train, he mates Clementine Kate Winslet, providing Billie Eilish with an aesthetic blueprint. Clementine is a front forward kind of gal, and despite her invasion of Joel's personal space, she gets into his heart. But as we know, not all relationships are destined for smooth waters, and after a heartbreaking breakup, Clementine and Joel have a procedure to erase each other from their memories. What Follows is a science fiction romance movie about loss, love, heartache, memory and truth written by the great Charlie Kauffman, the man behind being John Malkovich adaptation who took out the Best Original Screenplay Oscar Quick from Fact, the only Best Original Screenplay Oscar winner for a movie not nominated for Best Film. It was directed by Michelle Gondre, containing two acting superstars in arguably their best career performances, as well as a superb support cast with Tom Wilkinson, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood and Curtsin Dunst Darcy Moore.
Speaker 2: Have you had anyone erase from your memory?
Speaker 1: Would I have anyone who RaSE my memory? Or I have you? No? I haven't you have haven't had? I haven't had the procedure so far, and having watched the film, that is the central question, isn't it? Would you? Would you do it? If you could? I think that was my main reflection.
Speaker 3: It really is, and we were there were There are big themes in this movie, and that is the central theme. There's no doubt about that. Would you have this procedure. We will certainly get to that. Why, well, what did you know about this film? Had you heard about it?
Speaker 1: I had, Yeah, I definitely heard of it as like you said, one of sort of Jim Carrey and Kate Wins that's sort of top critically acclaimed films. And I knew vaguely there was a science fiction element to it, but never I actually didn't know it was a love story either. I thought it was a sort of a sci fi kind of futuristic film. I didn't know how the part the film centrally is about relationships really and love, which was really surprising to me as I watched it. I was kind of had the lens on of like this the sci fi sort of view, and then it, Yeah, it surprised me how much it was about humanity and human relationships. And that's one of the things I thought was cool was they didn't focus much on the technology or the science sci fi element of what was going on really at all.
Speaker 3: It was it's a really I think it's a brilliant piece of it. Like they nobody questions it in the movie. Yeah, they ain't really explain it that much. In fact, with David Cross when he gives the card over, which is what we would I think is the inciting incident of the movie, which is we speak about a little bit on this podcast when when I can kind of pick it.
Speaker 2: But it's the action that makes all the other action happen. What makes this moment the first domino, if you like.
Speaker 3: And I think it's Stave Across giving him the card because he wasn't supposed to, and you know, Joel was still trying to work.
Speaker 2: Do I trying to make up that Clevin tinner.
Speaker 3: I've got this little trinklet, you know, and I want to get into her, but she's not, you know, she's she's seen this other guy, this young guy. And David Cross actually says, I wrote I wrote it down. He says, it's some place that does a thing, which I think God of sums up their kind of attitude towards the science, which is perfect.
Speaker 2: And even the fact that they go to this place. It's not like this huge kind of medical center. It's just it's dodgy, little you know, you want to get your teeth done there you wouldn't get if your chiropractice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like a low budget dentist something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's brilliantly And.
Speaker 1: Then it wasn't. I thought straight away as soon as they'd sort of got into that part of the film, I thought straight away of comparing it to something like Black Mirror, like a more modern portrayal, and in that they're constantly reinforcing the technology element, how it works, the practicalities, the logistics of these sorts of futuristic technologies. But this film didn't even try to do that. It wasn't the point of the film at all, which I thought was really cool. Was a really cool contrast, and then the idea that it was kind of really the ideas were very ahead of its time. Yeah, when you consider it, what was it made in two thousand and three and four, when you know now we're talking about AI and all these sorts of questions and shows like Black Mirror are being made. Yeah, that struck me is it had this real two thousand and four aesthetic. Even the daggy computer on the desktop in the apartment, I.
Speaker 2: Think it was an Amstrad, which is was famously like it was kind of synonymous with not having a good memory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even the amount of cards. It was very much the men of extension cards and cards that were there. It was like it was messy. Yeah, I thought it was a really beautiful part of the whole movie. So let's all bet your three favorite films.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Some people know their three favorite films straight away.
Speaker 3: Some people have to really think that. Some people want to have four or five in there. You came with two, and you had to scratch around for a third. Yeah, and I've just thought of a fourth as well. Then okay, so kill Bill voting one and two. I think it's the first time I've had somebody put in sequels into their like we've had people say Godfather Part two. Because I always say Godfather one and two a lot of my favorite film I have a hard time separating them. Yeah, Godfather Part two, Yeah, at a squeeze.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I'm normally the same. I say, kill Bill, treating both of them as one film.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But because I couldn't think of any others, it was a bit of a hack. Gave me two of the three, and then I quickly perused your list of classic films that you haven't spoken about yet on the cod and that was where I read Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, And remember that fondly. Yeah, so that's definitely up there. And then just as we're talking about sort of technology and special effects, I thought of everything everywhere all at once.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well it's funny because when I was watching this, I was trying to think of films where a really big idea has been executed in such a great fashion. That's a messing movie, I thought of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same. I thought there was a parallel between Eternal Sunshine and Everything Everywhere in the way it was made, the process like really complex, sort of scientific futuristic things that with not great digital special effects or anything like that. It was both of them have a real analogue feel to them, like as Joel's in memories that are getting deleted, it's really it's not digitally done. Behind him on the scene, you can tell it's all physical, and I love that part of it. It made it feel really authentic and really real or something. And that made me think of everything everywhere all at once, because I remember reading about the way they made that film and it was literally pushing, you know, wheeling people on office chairs like this and pushing people over rather than digitally making it sort of going into other universes.
Speaker 3: In this film like there's scenes where like Jim Carrey is in the dream state, let's call it, and he's seeing himself in the in the doctor's seat, and he was actually physically like they didn't there was no tricks, like he had to likely put on a beanie or take it off, sit down, and then when the cameras up and run around get back to where he was looking at, you know, he's supposed to be looking at like it was all in camera, you know. And even that scene where he's baby Joel. Yeah, he's got his table, Yes, Kate wins. That's big in the in the in the foreground, he's like, you know, it looks like a kid, but it's all it's all done real, like it's just all you know, perspectives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally. I think that gives the film just a certain aesthetic that is different to those more modern ones that have special effects. And I don't know, even those scenes where he's walking and following her and then he follows her and then he ends up back where he started. Yeah, he goes back the other way, and it's the set. You can tell that the set is just changing and it's just camera work. It's not it doesn't feel digital, which is really cool.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. So Michelle Gundrey was his first film.
Speaker 3: It's a French guy and he was a music video director, so he don't like food fighters ever long did a lot of White Stripes videos, a lot of from the Elephant album, and did Chemical Brothers. One of his famous ones is Fat Boys Slam, his weapon of choice with Christopher Walken just dancing through a hotel like a hotel lobby, and he's.
Speaker 2: Just dances through the whole song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's what where he's Fatially you can tell this couldn't have been made by any It couldn't have been written by anybody else but Charlie Kaufman, and it's made I don't think by anybody else. Michelle Gondree, So kill Bill that this surprised me. I wouldn't have gone does he loves his violence.
Speaker 1: Hong Kong action because obviously Kill.
Speaker 2: Bill going Wan and to you know, lots of violent Tarantino great films. But what do you love about them?
Speaker 1: I think what I love about them beyond just enjoying the films and the way they're made and the genius of them, it's about I think that were the first films I watched, I reckon. I was about sixteen or seventeen, and they were the first films I watched that sort of showed me what films could be, what cinema could be, like something so different and so unique, scenes that go for absurdly long time, shifting between sort of a Hollywood action film to a Hong Kong violent super gory film, to a cartoon to a you know, with Asian stylistic elements, and then back to American mixing it all together. I just thought I'd never seen a film do that before and jump around, I suppose with convention, the way that kill Bill does and the way that Tarantino does. And I think when I think about that film, I remember the experience of watching it for the first time and being like, WHOA, almost like I've got some watching to do, like to see what films could be. And it was just and beyond that. I just thought it was so clever the way the whole thing was constructed, and just so entertained and loved, absolutely loved, loved it from beginning to end. And I reckon I turned it off and then watched it again from the start because it's.
Speaker 3: So interesting you say what movies can be, because we do get used to a certain template and what movies are, whether it be romantic comedies or dramas. And when a film comes along like you, Kill Bill's or Everything Everywhere and Internal Sunshine, the way they pop and the way they can pop in your brain is special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. And some and I totally get some people are like, I just want to sit there and I want there to be a beginning, a middle, and an end. I want it to be not non offensive, just easy to watch. I want it to be resolved and that's it, and that's fine. And then there are those people who you know, want to watch a film and be challenged and be taken on a journey. And I think Kill Bill probably showed me at that age how exciting it can be when you have one of those experiences watching your movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Priscilla, you and I have seen when it came out.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say no, no, I was when it came out. I was born in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would.
Speaker 3: It would have come out because it came out the same year as a steady year for shame films.
Speaker 2: Because Meal's wedding was okay.
Speaker 3: At the same time, it might have been ninety early nineties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, so I definitely mum, let us watch this movie. Me and my sister far too young now looking back on it, we were like, we just loved really when me and my sister were kids, we just loved the music and sort of the lights and the costumes. We just thought it was fun. Yeah, sort of that was our make because me and my sister loved dancing and music and always had music on in the house. So it was more like that. It was more that angle of it. We didn't actually really probably know what it was about. But then it was funny. When I was at UNI, probably five or six years ago. Now, at Melbourne UNI, you have to do sort of I did a business degree, but you have to do a certain amount of units outside of your major. It's like part of the sort of the course. So I had to pick a random unit. So I picked Australian film and TV. So I was in this class with all these art students talking about and every week it was a different Australian film and one of them was Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and I was like oh, I love this movie. I used to love it as a kid, and I watched it again and then we talked about it at union, got the full art student analysis of it, not unlike what you and I are doing now, probably a bit more complex. And it was really because there was some students that had never seen it, some students from overseas who watched it, and getting everyone's different take on it, and then learning about as well, the significance of it when it was made that what was at ten minute standing ovation? It can film people made on a shoestring budget, all those sorts of things, and the impact that it had in Australia and globally, and I don't know, that made me see it in a different way, like a movie that i'd watched from a young age, not really understanding it, just thinking the music was cool and fun, and then understanding it was cool. And then from there definitely like became a fan of Hugo Weaving and Guy Piers and those sort of Australian actors because.
Speaker 3: Because watching it at my agent when it came out, like there was there was fun to be had of seeing Guy Pierce in this because like we're seeing me Neighbors he was.
Speaker 2: You know my Yeah, it was like, oh wow, we didn't this is so we won't.
Speaker 1: Expect it was also, was he already big from Neighbors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think he had left Neighbors by this stage he had left, and I mean my memory kind of suggested that it was like the first movie that he had done at post Neighbors. There might have been one or two maybe weren't as big, but it really was like, oh wow, like you know, heswearing and he's you know, yeah, he's a drag queen and what bloody well you know, and mine's exploded. It was, it was, It was so much fun and many there was that like confidentially becomes he becomes Guy Pierce. Yeah, I remember that year finally because Mirror was wedding. I think he's also sits alongside that, and they deserve the sit alongside each other.
Speaker 2: I think brilliant. Yeah, brilliant totally.
Speaker 1: And I think there's something cool about Australian Yeah, Australian films, you know, blowing up and it's just it makes you go, it's so important to watch Australian films because yeah, I think both those things like Mirria was wedding. They're just so iconic, you.
Speaker 3: Know exactly, and they lean into their australianness, whereas I think sometimes and I'll put my hand up, I think I you know, in a way, I did it as well. I made a film in twenty ten cause I love you too, and we made it very shiny, you know, and it's a very straight It's still a very a strange film as straining characters.
Speaker 2: But I think if I was.
Speaker 3: To go again and do another one, I would lean in a bit more through the Australia, the same way the Kiwi's lean.
Speaker 2: Into their Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think sometimes we.
Speaker 3: Try to kind of like play to an international audience by making it an international film. Yeah, I think leaning into your own backyard a bit more. Yeah, it becomes more appealing totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was definitely one of the things I remember speaking about in that UNI class was about looking at it from a overseas It's like, what does Australia project to the overseas market, like films like Crocodile Dundee. Yeah, it's a very exaggerated sort of vision of Australia, like almost a caricature stereotype of Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was.
Speaker 1: Something I'd never thought about before, just like, how would how are we? How would you be perceived watching Australian films? What would you think about us?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think sometimes we worry about too much.
Speaker 3: I think those films prove that, you know, like it was winning does It's not necessarily a flattering.
Speaker 2: Australia at all. But yeah, I think you have to kind of I don't watch films like that.
Speaker 3: If I watch an American film or a French film and like, go all French people are like what I'm seeing yeah on screen at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's talk about the film here to talk about today two thousand and four. Michelle Gondred directed at Charlie Kaufman is the writer, starring, of course, Jim Carrey. Kate Winslet in one of a very few roles playing a modern woman. Often she's in period pieces Titanic s and Sensibility, Heavenly Creatures, Elijah Wood fresh off the set of Lord of the Rings, Early, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Wilkinson is always great, and Curson Dunce Darcymore Premiership captain The Coming Football Club. Did you enjoy Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind?
Speaker 1: I did enjoy it. Yes, it was very surreal and engaging and kept me guessing. I loved it.
Speaker 2: And this is a big film.
Speaker 3: And I like to point this out to everyone listening and to my guest, that this podcast is basically talking to somebody who is still processing a film. I saw this when it came out. I've watched it probably now half a dozen times. I watched it twice this week. In preparation, I've done some deep diving, you know, so there are things that I was picking up that.
Speaker 2: I had neither thought about or noticed.
Speaker 3: This is a big film to kind of process in a reasonably short amount of time, So feel free to allow your your opinions and thoughts to develop as we Okay, I think that loud on this. Let's get stuck into the central theme, which, like you said at that, would you erase somebody from your memory?
Speaker 2: Would you have this procedure?
Speaker 1: I think watching the film initially, my first take is no. And I think the film was about, to my mind, it was about even though sometimes relationships and being a person in the world hurts a lot and doesn't go the way that you thought, or it's there's pain associated that doesn't make it right to forget about it, or that doesn't make it wrong. And I think the ark of the characters, like that scene at the end where she just says to him, I'm going to get sick. You'll get sick of me, and I'm going to be too much and you're not going to open up and we're going to resent each other and it's not worth it, and sort of goes to walk away and he just says okay. He's says okay, and then they lean back in and it's like saying it's going to be a mess, but let's do it again anyway. Yeah, And that was I thought. A really central part of it for me was like things are complicated, things are messy, and that doesn't mean that deleting them is the answer.
Speaker 2: You know, you've made it on the head. I think.
Speaker 3: I think this film and I think it's lovely because it's got this amazing tight e turne or sush on the spotless mind. It's from like a famous poement, and but the key moments are just so simple, Like like you said, when he says okay, that's almost the word of the movie.
Speaker 2: And then when he also says, we'll play some grabs as soon.
Speaker 3: But when he says, when we go back to when they first met, which we only just learning that, oh, this is not where they met at the start. That's not then meeting for the first time. That's a meeting for the second time. Yeah, you know, or they think it is the first time, but it's actually the second time because they've both had the procedure.
Speaker 1: When she's got the blue yeah, so you can sort of tell. I liked that element of it as well. The color of her hair told you where you were and the chronology of the story because it was told that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've done some film studies. There's no doubt about this.
Speaker 3: And he says, so the green hair is is that the start of the relationship. So when they're sitting up the steps, let's actually play a little bit of the this is actually the first meeting.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is the day we met.
Speaker 4: You were down by the surf.
Speaker 1: I could just make you out in the distance.
Speaker 4: I remember being drawn.
Speaker 8: I like, wow, I'm drawing so much back. You were in that orange sweatshirt, and I would come to know so well. Even heat eventually at the time, I thought, how cool orange switch.
Speaker 1: Hi there, Hi.
Speaker 7: I saw you sitting over here by yourself, and I thought, thank god, someone normal who doesn't know how to interact with these things either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't ever know what to say.
Speaker 7: I'm Clementine.
Speaker 1: Can we Oh, this's your chicken?
Speaker 6: And then you just took it without waiting for an answer. It was a win to me, like, I've already loved us.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gona pay a little bit more because there's a bit that I want to get to. But so when you saw this bit, were you think the kind of like was it like a penny drop in? Did you go, oh, so this is actually them first meeting, so this is did it kind of make the other bit makes sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I knew. I felt like this scene. I knew straight away, Oh this is really this is really actually the first time, and thinking about it now, it's it's crazy. It shows how well the film's made that you can follow it and that it made sense that you didn't understand where you were in time until probably this moment or maybe or maybe when they were in the house when they sort of their first night U this the night of that meeting when they were in the house and they were she was stealing the booze and running around the abandoned house. Yeah, the fact that you could make that out and understand, oh, this is actually the first time they're meeting. It's not the opening scene of the film.
Speaker 3: Because every film you want to be ahead of your audience. You don't want your audience like being ahead of movie, if you know what I mean. You're trying to raise questions and this, but you can get too far ahead of the audience where they almost give up. Yes, so this stayed, I think because they've got this ticking clock device of so he's in he's in this dream state and he realizes he's in the dreams and what's because he can hear the voices and he's trying to then save her Clementine and take it to a place where they can't get to, like a memory that they're not looking for. So they've got this and they're running through and everything's falling apart, and this is a great thing of like there's three different Clementines in a way, it's like the Clementine that we get to see. There's Joel's interpretation of Clementine and then there's like this this almost fantasy Clementine where where he's having conversations in a memory, like the way you can sometimes you kind of you know, you think of things and you kind of go, imagine if I did things differently, imagine if I had a state, if I if I had said this, and you're having conversations with the memory. So there's three different Clementines going on.
Speaker 1: Sort of most most of the film takes place with him not even speaking to her, but speaking to his memory of her. In those moments. It's it's really strange. But then the other thing that probably helps is like the jumper in this scene, I remember he said something like, oh that I was my eye was caught by your orange jumper or something and the one that I'd grow to hate. Yeah, you know, and that made you realize, oh, this was before, yes, because you're previously seeing them argue about the jumper for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then they continue this conversation goes on and yeah to the original point of this. Another great line, which is such a simple thing. There's no flowery language involved. It's just is a beautiful final line.
Speaker 6: This is a job, it's going to be constant.
Speaker 3: I know, what do we do?
Speaker 2: And that's that's what again.
Speaker 3: It's one of the you know, the messages I think of the film is like you can't control these things, you know, and you just have to enjoy the moment while you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, and like the idea of memory and like what we were saying before, it's like it's going to be gone soon because they've spent they've spent probably an hour before this scene running away from them, their relationship getting deleted, and then ultimately like, yeah, this is the moment when he's like I'm not gonna you know, it's gone, but just enjoy it while we can. It's like, like you said, it's so simple, but it's the one it's like one of the few that you remember after watching the film.
Speaker 3: And let's go back to the hair because it's a good point and you're a man who likes to play with the hair.
Speaker 1: Clementine in this film. The next season, the next season rounds one to six.
Speaker 3: It's green, so it's green is a spring, simbolizes a spring, which is the start of their relationship. Is okay into red, which is like the summer of love. It's passion, things about their best when they're getting along, probably the best with Okay, and then things that the decline. It's orange as she goes it agent orange, which obviously has its own connotations, but it's it's autumn. It's the things are in decline, they're in decay. And then the Blue Ruin of Winter, which is the Blue tom Waite Song, which is a CD that's kind of in one of the memories, and in the Blue Ruin of the Gin when she pulls the gin, that's the breakdown of.
Speaker 1: The Okay, the colors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does a great job of, like you said, it just time codes it a bit for you.
Speaker 1: You can kind of it's really the only thing that you well, watching it for the first time, it was the only thing that I whenever if I got confused about where we were, that was the first thing that I'd sort of, yeah, look to about what colors her hair? Oh this was before they had that fight or after they.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, And even if you weren't able to kind of pinpoint that like you have I reckon, if you're watching it, you kind of go, well, at least it means this is a different time period, so that it tells you they're playing with time because it keeps on going back and forth.
Speaker 2: Kate wins.
Speaker 3: They had to wear wigs because often, you know, the way films are shot not in chronological order. They have you know, half the day should be green hair and then the next to be read, Yeah, you diet, So she was wearing wigs for it. So you know, like pain is a big thing about this movie, Like how important is pain? So to put it in your perspective, like, so you've just won the AFIL Grand Final.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, thank you, thank you. I was wondering how you get that in there.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised it's taking this long to be ho In twenty eight and you lose the Grand Final. You don't play because you don't you're injured, which comes with its own pain.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: Would you erase the memory of that? Wow, to not go through that, or does it make winning it this year? Yeah, by the times it goes last season or the more sweeter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I don't know. It sounds really corny, but you look back on in this case my career, and it's those experiences are so formative, Like definitely the hardest experience I've ever had in my whole life.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 1: The worst day was probably training before the Grand Final, So the Thurs Day there was probably like ten thousand fans, and I knew that my body just felt terrible and had all these hamstring injuries and that I wasn't going to be fit to play.
Speaker 2: You're kind of close. It wasn't like you were like, you know, had an injury year out for ages exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was sort of like, oh, you know, I'm training okay, I'm sort of getting sore here and there in my hamstrings, and the issue sort of for me that season wasn't training. I could sort of get through all my rehab training, and then it was just when I played at match intensity, it was just like hamstring strains, which meant there was so much unknown. It was like, you know, I've done this training, but you know, we know I've four times this season I've run out there to play and not been right. So it was all that it wasn't clear, you know, And there was definitely a period where I was like, you know, I wish I'd just broken my leg and it was easy, you know, it was obvious. It was like, so I sort of kept training and yeah, and then just running around training and knowing that, you know, this thing I dreamt about my whole life wasn't gonna happen for me. It was so hard to process that. You know, every year there's that hard those hard locked stories, the people that miss out, and I just couldn't believe that it was me. I just had real trouble accepting that. And so yeah, but then you look back now for five years later and we do what we've just done, and it's it all seems to make sense. And that's sort of without getting to to philosophical, I suppose that's life. It's just like every experience is just the next step in the journey. And like as hard as it is at the time to accept it, and as tempting as it would be to say it was just delete that, I don't know, you just you learn. Well. For me, I just learned so much from that experience, and I draw on it all the time personally with stuff that comes up, or even helping younger other guys that are going through That's part of being in a team, right, is everyone's going through different things. So being able to draw on that experience and share it with others is also a value.
Speaker 3: That you know, because there was a player for those who don't know, a man, John Noble played eighty seven odd games consecutive games, gets dropped for the first final and it comes as a shock that's certainly the supporters and doesn't play in either or none of the finals, and so you draw on that experience to get around him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. But I think it's also one of those things that unless you've been through it, you can tell if it's like everything in life, you can if people can't really understand what it's like. And I think just having been through that experience and sharing it just in some ways just yeah, shows that you know as much as you can. I understand how it feels and how hard it is. And that's you can't tell someone how to process it or what to do. It's more just about being there and understanding. And I think that's yeah, at the end of the day, to answer the question, it's like that stuff makes it so much more exciting and more rewarding, you know. And I was even talking talking about it with someone. It must have been one of the older guys about how you know, these guys like Scott Penby and Steel Cyde Onttom who wait thirteen years between premierships to get the success. You know, someone like Jamie Elliott who's been through you know, got metal in his shoulder and his back and his foot in his hip, been through everything he's been through over twelve years to win a premiership. Just how rewarding that is. And then you see younger players in their second third seasons, you know in the team, guys like Nick Deakos and Jack Ginman and stuff, and you're like, they'll never really get how hard it can be, you know. I mean, it's such a different experience. It's so exciting for them, and everyone obviously works so hard at it, but it's funny how for some guys it's so deep how hard they've had to work and what they've had to go through to get that experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, unless it takes another thirty years, he never finds out because Steel, Steel and Scott played in there, you know, appremiership in there, you know, second or third year and yeah, it's probably a bit more than that actually, but they tasted it pretty early.
Speaker 2: If there was a.
Speaker 3: Procedure for you to go back and experience a day again, would you go back to the premiership day or would you go it's it's time to move forward.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I would, because you're.
Speaker 2: Were still memory.
Speaker 1: By the way, it doesn't mess with the universe as a butterfly effect going on, where you know, boll my bouncy the other way, I don't know if I would. As tempting as it is, because your memory is like sort of change over time, the way you look back on things, and it's sort of I'm worried that it'll ruined how special it feels. You know, you do it once and that's what makes it awesome, and then you build it up in your head as being this amazing thing. I feel like going back and experiencing it again would maybe be like maybe ruin it a bit. What do you think? Would you go back and watch it? Watch it again?
Speaker 3: This when we had lunch together, but you know, and just reflected on the day because I went back, I was at the ground for a few hours, had a few beers the family. It was perfect for me because my whole family were there, my kids, my brother, my sister, we go over each week with my dad, my wife, my nephew.
Speaker 2: It was kind of perfect. Had a few beers and then we didn't really know what to do.
Speaker 3: And my feelings after the game were elation on the siren because it was for those who don't know, it was a four point win, which is less than a goal. So we went down to the wire elation and then just for like two minutes, and then emotion for like the next twenty yourself, and then you know, hugs and tears and then exhaustion.
Speaker 2: I was like, ext I played a game. It was just exhausting.
Speaker 3: And then by the time I had maybe my my second beer, I'm like, okay, let's see if we can.
Speaker 2: Let's enjoy this.
Speaker 1: This is yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: We spoke about the game, and then we just went home.
Speaker 3: Eventually and after a few hours and and we thought it would come back in, but we just wanted to replay. And then a few people came and went and then we watched it a game, me and my mate, and my wife gives me a nudge and I've actually fallen asleep, and she points out to my mate, whos we're both asleep with cans in the hands, watching to replay.
Speaker 2: The third time. By then I said it. The next day, I said, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, there are six or seven different ways I would love to have celebrated that win, but you know, like to go into you know, Sistreet Collingwood or something. Yeah, yeah, but you know, and in twenty eighteen, I went to the players you know which the players will have it the can't have a dinner, yeah, you know, and you can get tickets for that.
Speaker 2: And I went and it was great. You know, obviously we didn't win.
Speaker 3: It was it was a you know, it was a little bit solemn, but it's good to be around Collingwood people. And when we started this year, we want to be around the family, the kids and all that. So let's let's we won't do that and but that, yeah, that could be another way to have celebrated.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's funny that even even for us, it's like, yeah, there's like pressure to celebrate the right way or enjoy it absolutely enjoy it, like really soaking in and you're just like, am I soaking enough? I'm trying really hard.
Speaker 2: When you know you're in a moment you're going to go and I know I'm going to be speaking about this for the rest of my life. Am I doing it right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But I love that this.
Speaker 3: Film does the way play like the way reflects memories. I think it's really totally the way it jumps around, like memories are jumpy.
Speaker 1: And what I thought was really interesting was it starts with and I don't know if it's just chronological the way the procedure work. It starts with the most recent memories that are the painful ones, and then eventually to the sort of honeymoon period of their relationship or is that how memory works? Like he starts off ranting about all the things that he hates about her. As a viewer, you don't really want them to be together because you're getting For the first hour, you're just getting all the toxic parts of their relationship, and then it eventually you see the good memories you know earlier, like you were saying, when the hair color changes and it's to those warmer colors, and then you're like, oh, you sort of get it.
Speaker 2: It's a really interesting question, like do are these two people right for each other?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you know, you have basically your Joel's depression kind of up against Clementines, you know, erratic, yeah, kind of a dependency, and you're going to go are they and Joel says some pretty nasty things, Yeah, to her, Yeah, as nice as he.
Speaker 1: Pretty light, pretty nasty because there he says it, Mike calmly. Yeah, they're not he's not yelling.
Speaker 2: And then he does want to talk about and you sort of.
Speaker 1: But that's the other thing that I wanted to mention about the movie that I was thinking about was none of the characters are really very likable. No, which is interesting to think about, isn't it? Like all of them are a bit I found them a bit. Their first interaction a bit annoying. He was kind of quiet and a bit boring and so guarded, and then she's kind of so erratic, like you said, and jumps around and there's got a That's an interesting part of the film. It's not a love story that you're on board with everyone. You sort of see everyone's faults a bit as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and often when you I think one of the clever things about the film is that when you come out of a relationship, particularly if you're on the losing side, if you if you like, if you the won't been broken up with the way you will try to go back over their relationship and try to understand it.
Speaker 2: What happened? Yeah, what was when? When was the change and like it to me.
Speaker 3: You become like a detective trying to work out Yeah, one of the where are the clues that there misclues?
Speaker 2: Yes, I miss his houses happened? How have we gotten to hear?
Speaker 1: Almost trying to be like scientific or objective about it with the emotion taken out of exactly a bit of a bit of hindsight.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, it's impossible to do, which really at the.
Speaker 1: End of the film is what they have. They don't have the memories. All they have is the knowledge that it didn't work and that it ended badly, because all they have is the recordings of the things they said about each other. But they don't they don't have the memories back. No, they just have like they all they know is that it didn't end well, and they decide to try again even though they know so. They probably have a little bit of that.
Speaker 3: I think the one Yeah, the argument you can make is almost it's almost a comment on soul mates in a way, despite all of this, they found each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his subconscious made him get the train, yes to the.
Speaker 3: Beach, against every fiber of his being, against every impulses of its person. And because is this, uh say takes place in the library so beautifully done and the effects are amazing. You've got the books that a kind of the colors of disappearance. Yeah, that's cool, just gradually and uh yeah, I think there's some really interesting stuff in this.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 7: Many guys think put a concept, or I complete them, or I'm going to make them alive. I'm just a fucked up girl who's looking for my own peace of mind.
Speaker 4: Don't assign me yours.
Speaker 9: Remember that speech really well, yeah, the whole human race pegged. Probably, I still thought you were going to save my life.
Speaker 4: Even after that. It would be different. If we could just give it another goal round.
Speaker 6: Try your best, maybe we can.
Speaker 2: It's just it's I don't know. I think it's kind of perfect.
Speaker 3: And you know, she says that you know that whole you know, I'm not a construct because there's a whole I think comment going on also about that kind of that fantasy. A lot of men have about, you know, the manic pixie, the pixie girl, you know, and that comes with hot the manic side.
Speaker 2: Like people.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of movies, you may where all this bloke needs to be happy is to find that girl who you know, brings out that free spirit in him, because she's you know, she's she's a free spirit of herself.
Speaker 2: But that comes with all other stuff as well.
Speaker 3: And I think this film kind of interrogates that we see the great things about Clement time, but we also see, you know, that the tougher things about Clement, and the same with I think the same with Joel as well, But.
Speaker 1: The film doesn't glorify those. Actually, it's like nothing about this film is shiny. It just all feels a bit real, you know, like her free spiritedness doesn't come across as light from the very start, like it's she's pouring alcohol into her coffee or she's the conversation is confusing because she's jumping around and she's getting angry at him, and then and you don't, I know what you're saying. It's it's not It doesn't glorify that part at all. Like he's not this charming, reserved guy. Yeah, he's like a nervous, tentative kind of mess. You know, he's not. It's not like he's guarded in like a sort of charming way. It's like, oh, come on.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, speak about her characters rather necessarily likable. I mean, what I'll say is, you know, and I always think I've chatted to some actors about this before.
Speaker 2: You know, Brendan cald was the first one who's gone to tell me about it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: He said, I don't want to see likable characters on screen. I want to see interesting characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that these characters certainly are that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And Kate wins in a role that we just never saw.
Speaker 3: You know, she was so excited to play this role because you know, she's done all everything was a period piece Titanic, Heavenly Creatures, so she was pretty pumped. And Jim Carrey was basically told, this is a drama, So no comedy. This is a drama, and you're very rarely. There's a couple of tiny moments where you see the Jim Carrey that we know, when he's in the bathtub maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or when he's the kid yeah, yeah, doing the book, when he beats the bird with the hammer. Yes, you got that little physical comedy that he does with his when he's putting to be like a five year old kid.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 3: And Michelle Gonuri told him this is this is a drama, but then we'll tell Kate Winslet like separately, this is a comedy, so you'd be as big as as you want to be. Jim Carrey was kind of coming out of a bad breakup with Rene Zellwagger and he met with the director Michelle Gondree. Michelle Gondre said to him, and this is in the there's a great documentary on Netflix called Jim and Andy about when he made Man in the Moon and became any any Coughan.
Speaker 2: He went full meta when he got possessed by the spirit.
Speaker 3: He went deep, he went deep, and he was saying that Michelle Gondree they met and he said, you are so broken at the moment. It's beautiful. Don't get better? And it was a year It's still a year before they made the film. So Jim Carrey's going, how fuck is this business? Did not get better?
Speaker 2: And then she kind of play with his head.
Speaker 3: There's so there's there's references in this movie to Naomi, which is his previous relationship, Joel's previous relationship. Jim Carrey believes that Michelle Gondrey cast and they shot they shot these scenes that she was in four scenes with Alan Pompeo, who from plays Meredith in The Anatomy, and he believes Michelle Gondry deliberately cast her because of her similarity in both the voice and looks to.
Speaker 1: That's pretty toxic. That's some toxic ship right there.
Speaker 2: Next Leve. Wow, mind fuck readers, no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: That's wow. That's borderline workplace bullying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it's come up a couple of times in this. You know, you hear that Stanley Kubrick where he kind of treated some actors And where do you draw the line of going, yeah, what other workspace are you getting? Way not in the AFL in two thousand and twenty four, and you've got these other characters who work with Laguna Incorporated, which was almost going to be as a little Easter Egg was going to be in the same building.
Speaker 2: Have you seen being John Malkovich. No, No, that is as.
Speaker 3: A business in there, which is like it's on the six and a half floor, so there's actually like a floor that's actually like six and a half, so it's between the sixth floor and the seventh floor, so the ceilings are really low and everyone's walking around, And this was going to be in the same building because Charlie Cuffin wrote Easter Egg, but Michau Andrey had different ideas how he wanted that Lacuna to look.
Speaker 2: But you got Elijah Wood playing Patrick.
Speaker 1: Is there anything just before you go into the characters, was there anything in the name Lacuna? I was going to look it up and then I thought, no, ask.
Speaker 3: It means something in another language, and I wish I kind of had written it down. But there is something. I think it means hollow right in a different language. It's Spanish or so you got Elijah Wood playing Patrick.
Speaker 2: What a could be? Guy Mark Ruffalo? I mean, the the ethics are not above board.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've got It's funny because when I didn't watched this film for a while, and you kind of when you think of it, you think of you know, Jim Carrey and Kate Winsley and Joel and Clement on you kind of I'd almost forgotten the twist of I think it's Henry or the doctor. We'll Henry Tom Wilkinson having this previous affair with Mary. Yeah, Mary, she's had a memory raised. There's some ethically, Yeah, they're they're smoking that they've had sex, you know, like well, Joel's asleeping in the bed. Apparently it was a sexy shop, but they took it out, which I think is good because I think that dancing scene is fun and enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I didn't understand this part a little bit. I was. I think I just missed a few details. But the idea of him in his house, I wasn't sure if that was the standard procedure or if that was something went wrong with him that they had to go to his house and do that. I think because because they sort of snuck in, and I was like, are they not? I got it a little bit confused.
Speaker 2: I've never really questioned that.
Speaker 3: But with that said, when they go into the office, you got that woman who's kind of like watching that old film with the record player playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, well that seems to be like a slightly different thing. Yeah, why have they done it?
Speaker 3: I'm sure the answer is probably in the movie somewhere. Yeah, I'm not sure why they had to like sneak in, like.
Speaker 1: But then he said when Elijah Woods character says, oh, when they did Clementine, he fell in love with her and stole an underwear. Yeah, so they were in her house doing it as well. Yes, so then I was like, oh, they must go to everyone's house, yeah, to do it.
Speaker 3: I kind of suspected that it wasn't unusual they'll go to your house because I think they even said so when you wake up in the morning, you'll be not reminded that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you remove all the items, you know, your personal items.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they go in. They drink his whiskey.
Speaker 3: Touch at the end when he paused her a drink and he kind of looked at the bon I thought there was more yeah, and yeah, lovely, these little touches. Even though when he goes to the photos and there's a photo which I assume is a young Clementine in that cowboy outfit that she wears in that memory later on, but I thought that twists of the time and the Mary thing, because in the original screenplay it started fifty years and of the future with an older Mary walking into I think a publisher or a newspaper kind of with an article manuscript. I think it was a publisher. It's a manuscript saying you know the truth behind Lacuna and collecte. She gave it to be published. And then you realize that that's Mary, who you know, gets.
Speaker 1: So she's almost like selling the story of Eternal Sunshine and what was Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think it was actually called The Spotless Mind, the True Story.
Speaker 3: Okay, because when you see she's got the files and she sends her the tapes out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I thought that was a great kind of twist. And when that the wife, Yeah, what what do you.
Speaker 1: Think about Mary's decision to send it out to everyone? Like it's got ethical to me? It didn't go oh like that was a home run, like she really good on her for doing it.
Speaker 3: No, it's like I think, I think it's kind of a breach of trust, and she feels portrayed, but she's angry with Henry, Yeah, the doctor. I don't think it's it was fair for her to put that on those people who had made a content.
Speaker 1: She decided to forget, chosen to forget.
Speaker 2: Chosen to forget, and you reminded them, whether you.
Speaker 1: Think whether you think that was the right decision or not. Who's she to decide the people that have chosen to forget. Who she to decide that that was the wrong choice.
Speaker 2: And I think Mary made a bad call, an unfair call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it didn't It wasn't that wasn't obvious either. That's what I liked was that it wasn't you sort of went, oh, she said all the tapes out.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, And obviously when she listens back to the tape, she can hear that she's almost being coerced a little bit, talking about maybe ahead of their time as far as commenting on power dynamics. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But when she she listens to the tape and you hear.
Speaker 3: The doctor cons and then we have agreed on this because she's like, maybe I don't want to go through this.
Speaker 2: We've agreed. We've agreed.
Speaker 3: So I think that kind of goes Okay, fuck you, I'm going to I'm going to bring this down. And I think, you know, if this was a real thing, I think her writing an article or a book is a fair away of doing it as opposed to sending out these tapes. They get the tapes, which is great for the movie obviously because then it's more friction and conflict. But the tapes are brutal, so you got you know, joel and and Clement Tyne have made up and the things that you know, they've got another chance, and then they're playing the tape and it's Clement Tyne this, you know, he's so boring. I don't like who I've become said not in the in the birth of the relationship when things are good. This is at the tail end when things aren't good, and these are the things that you might think. And then Joel's saying he is embarrassed to be with her in public, and she's not well read, and he's really horrible things.
Speaker 2: Not a good call by Mary.
Speaker 3: You wonder It's almost like she's she has broken up with stan Mark Ruffalo. And then you kind of what I liked about it kind of one day, is he I wonder if he's going to go through the procedure now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, because he was the last scene is like he's like loading the gear into the van or out of the van.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then you think he's holding the computer that they use to delete memories, so you think like, oh, I wonder if if he'll do it now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's there's so much before we wrap up. You got all the special effects. We've mentioned that, you got the table, but you've got the sync in the bathtub, which is amazing. Yea, the whole crumbling of everything falling down and when they're trapped in the street. One of my favorite effects is just when he's in the library, when we first see that she's seeing he's recounting about how he seeing a younger man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I seeing a younger man. And he walks from the library back into the house.
Speaker 1: Yep, with David Cross and yeah, yeah, that's cool. That part I really liked as well. Just if they're on the street or in the market and slowly like signs that had writing on them in the background, we're just not yeah, and then like a real subtle.
Speaker 3: If you think about memories, memories don't have those details, yes, yeah, which is what's really cool.
Speaker 1: The books the books were colored and they were all blank and all those sorts of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a great serendipity moment where they were shooting something and.
Speaker 2: Somebody said, oh, there's elephants walking down.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, circus in New York.
Speaker 3: So the way they get the elephants and they walk them in and they just get the cameras and they just shot stuff they use wasn't even like stuff they were like, they weren't even realize I was shooting like this. Yeah, Michelle Gondrey said that Kate wins that just hired, and you know, I'm going to try to capture, you know, Jim looking for you, and so you're kind of looking around he's actually looking for Kate Winslet, not necessarily clements. Yeah, yeah, and they use that, but it's I love that because it's just just great filmmaking.
Speaker 1: What about the end, because I did I did a little.
Speaker 3: Bit of reading about the loop, Yeah, yeah, yeah, so, which I must say, I've never thought about it really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I noticed it straight away. First time. I was like, oh, and then I thought something and then I looked it.
Speaker 3: Up, right, Okay, So my thought when I kind of like noticed at this time, I didn't really have an answer.
Speaker 2: I had my questions, does this mean that they're on this loop forever?
Speaker 3: Because there was a version in the original screenplay where we found out that they had a race fifteen times?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was what I watched it, and I went, oh, wait, maybe this isn't the first time they've done this whole thing. Yeah, And then I googled it and it said in the original screenplay, they you find out at the end that they've done this fifteen times and they keep going back. Yeah, and I went, oh, that was. You know, when you're sort of your heart in a surreal movie, you're constantly questioning your first thought. Yeah, that's what I was doing. I was like, oh, is it and then I read that it was, and then I don't know. But then that's a whole nother point if that is true, because then you because he's saying humans are idiots, Yeah, yeah, you keep going back.
Speaker 2: For me once you know yeah, and it's and then you're going to you question that relationship even more. You're going to go, well, why why why? Yeah, maybe you guys aren't, so you're not supposed.
Speaker 1: To exactly, so why do why do you keep going back to the world, especially when you think about all the relationships in the movie are terrible relationships. There isn't one good relationship, Like the doctor and his wife is a bad relationship. He has the affair with Mary, his friends who when they're unloading the car and they're having that, you know that they just clearly have this toxic dynamic as well.
Speaker 3: I do love David Cross building a birdhouse next to the fridge, which I think part of that is also having this kind of strange says a strangeness yeah, it's not.
Speaker 2: They're not, you know, shoveling in your face.
Speaker 1: But this is going.
Speaker 3: So then when you know, the science of the whole thing comes up, you're not questioning it because there's kind of built this litt culture around things.
Speaker 2: You know, there's some strange kind of people in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other actually point I really wanted to make was what's really important is that when Patrick basically steals, you know, the identity of Joel and takes all all all the trinkets and all that and starts presenting them as his own to Clementine, it's so good that it doesn't work because and that kind of that kind of suggests that there was something special about Joel and Clementine, even though he's quoting the same lines they're on the Frozen when he gives it a trinket and great performance by Kate Winsley, what she says something like, she says, this is nobody. I'm never going to have somebody who's gonna got my taste or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. But then when they're on the lake, doesn't she say, well, he says something and she says, this is.
Speaker 3: She quotes, she quotes him directly, like I never felt that I'm supposed to be anywhere but here or something like that. Yeah, and then she sits up bolt up right. And then when she's he says, you're so nice. That nice triggers her again when they're in the car.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's starting to figure it out because in the dream state she's kind of she's, you know, alongside Joel now Yeah, yeah, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: It's that that's a bit about isn't it like what you were saying before, maybe about soul mates, Like you can say all the right things, you can buy all the right gifts.
Speaker 2: But if you're a different he's done.
Speaker 1: It's all the same things.
Speaker 2: It's not that connection. Yeah, And it's so pervertly cast is.
Speaker 1: I think he's so good. That's the other thing. Everyone is so good in it. Elijah Wood is so creepy, like.
Speaker 3: When he's got a girlfriend, girlfriend, Yeah, and Matt Ruffle has got Yeah, it's not okay whenever he really wants to let you know he's got a girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Did you do any reading about Edgar Allan Poe and the quote that they use, what is it the blessed other forgetful?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Whatever, it is not not realized as opinions kind of on it. It's a great quite they're kind of in contrast to each other in a way. But I do love espasically say that first one is I guess his ignorance is bliss.
Speaker 1: Ignorance is bliss. Yeah, yes, yeah, But some.
Speaker 2: People walk away from this movie. I didn't understand it. You know, it's weird, you know, if.
Speaker 3: You're in that frame of mind totally, But it's actually quite a simple story. Yeah, Like if you actually break it down, it's about a relationship breakup, and they have a procedure to have their themselves erased from their memory.
Speaker 2: And then when.
Speaker 3: Joel's having that procedure, he for some reason which is not necessarily explained. It doesn't need to be in the same way some people might have an alleged reaction to, you know, anesthesia, that he becomes aware of Clementine being raised and he decides he does not want to go through this operation.
Speaker 2: So he has to then find a way to hide in his own mind. Yeah, yeah, his own memories.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then even that bit about their relationship, she always said to him more you don't open up, you just shut off. And then for their his memory of her. For their relationship to have a chance again, he had to take her into a memory that was deep, like an embarrassing, humiliating memory or really his mum catches him waking. It was like there was a bit in that around, like for the relationship to go again, he had to take her to those places that he wouldn't do it in real life, you know, that sort of part about vulnerability or something. I was like, Oh, and do they.
Speaker 3: Take any of that to their next cracket the real Yeah, So maybe it is with each time they go around, they get a little bit better.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then there was that quote at the end, mate, where he said, you spend all this time getting to know someone only to realize that they're a stranger, yeah, or something that I think that was in the recording maybe, yeah, like the more I know you, the less I know you sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember hearing that and going, oh, there's a bit in that one too. So many moments, like.
Speaker 3: You said, you watched it once, you know, like you know, if you ever watch it again, you'll pick up so much kind of stuff. And one of the first things you said, it's such a human story there's so much humanity I think in this, and I think great movies are often they do have a central point or a central argument, you know, or it raises a question. You know a lot of people talk about movies and they know, what's this movie answering? Yeah, yeah, but I always think it's not about the answers to that question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, And I always say, like with films, I hate it when the message is sort of served up just way too. It's just too simple. I'm one who's just roll my eyes and go like, oh, like, you know, I love that this movie doesn't hand you anything on a platter. You sort of have to work it out yourself or make your own way or take no.
Speaker 2: I love that maybey getting hand fed here. There's a bit going on. It almost didn't happen.
Speaker 3: The movie almost didn't happen at script stage because the amazing Christopher Nolan film Memento came out with favorite Yes have you seen that.
Speaker 1: I actually watched that about six months ago for a second time. Yeah, so that was fresh as well.
Speaker 3: And Michelle Gondre and Charlikaff I'm talking, they go, well, this is basically our movie. Yeah, let's let's not do it, but a producer had convinced them that they're still merit in the idea that you're working on, keep going and keep going, and they, thank god they did. Nick Cage was the original choice to play Joel, but he was so hot right now that he took other projects.
Speaker 2: This is a fascinating one, I think.
Speaker 3: So the composer it's great music all the way through here is John I've always said John Bryan, but I've heard it pronounce John Breon. And somebody who became a big fan of the movie and the music was Kanye back when we could be on board the Kegnya Express, So he got him. He got John Brion because of his work on this to work on Late Registration land Mark album had a gold digger on it and that became so he never worked on a hip hop album at all.
Speaker 2: It was in his background and worked on that with with Kemye.
Speaker 3: And like I said earlier, there is there's a character Alan played by Alan Pompeo from Gray's Anatomy. You can't watch the clips online that she was in four scenes in fact, when Joel goes home and she says, give me a call when you get home. Wish me happy Valentine's Day. He actually calls Miomi first and then calls Okay, and then they think they get back and they have a one that stand, And I think it works better. I think it would have complicated. Do we want Joel to be with Clement Tye, because the idea was Naomi came across almost as like a better fit in a way. She was probably you'd watch it and almost go, I think you should actually end up with Namy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So it is interesting as well, like Joel doesn't in the final version, like he doesn't really have any other relationship. He's got those friends, yeah, but he doesn't. You don't really see him to anyone else.
Speaker 3: There was a neighbor who had a role which is going to be played by Tracy Morgan, a comedian, and they just Michelle Gondry actually said that, to be honest, he thought that Tracy Morgan was basically just paying himself and well didn't love the performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but it doesn't miss it.
Speaker 1: You got that makes it seem like a loaner more and more a loan and more guarded or yeah.
Speaker 3: I think so that's basically Michelle Gorey you know I mentioned the videos, mate, this podcast comes with homework and this is a big film. This is a big film that wrap your head around. And obviously you didn't know what you're getting yourself into. You was something something sciencey, but to do this basically, you're on holiday, you've got to break you know, you've released a pinot, you know, well you be a release in cans of holt. You come up with a peeni. I got my dad a bottle for Father's Day, for sorry, his birthday. Actually it Yeah, what was beyond the pinot? Where that come from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just tried to find a way. Obviously Pendals has done it before, and yeah, for me, it was just sort of a way to commemorate the season and how special and exciting it was. And then you know, I love nothing more than having a bottle of red and reminiscing about memories with friends, and so I thought, what a cool way to make something to so people can you know, crack it open and pour a few glasses and talk about season twenty twenty three so we remember it forever. That was sort of the idea. And then turns out there was a bit of demand and it sold out in a week.
Speaker 2: So bad move.
Speaker 1: But no, and also I don't deserve any praise for doing homework. It was made. I was watching an hour and a half movie on my on my off season, so it's yeah, it's not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes people will watch a film and realize, I, hang on, I didn't look at the running time, and all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: Has anyone ever come in and pretended to see anything?
Speaker 2: No, we had one.
Speaker 3: Dan Connell, who is a great comic, came in and I was doing the intro for Lost in Translation. It's a great movie. I was really excited to talk about it, you know, because it's a bit of prep that you know on my side that I do totally. And I just saw his face kind of drop and the blood blood kind of go out of his face and he gave up.
Speaker 2: Bloody home, mate, I think I watch the wrong movie. He watched Fear and Loading in my space. No, so we fumbled around with that.
Speaker 3: I have one recently and hopefully we'll still get to it. So I want, I won't, I won't my guess under a bus, but let's do it next week. And he wants Lawrence of Arabia, which I hadn't seen before, which is like a three and a half hour movie, and I watched it.
Speaker 2: And he said, actually, I can't do it. Give me this postpart you got to g was long watching and a half. I really feel like watching it, but I'm glad I've seen it now.
Speaker 3: Definitely, if we do it again, I'm gonna have to watch it again because it's kind of I like.
Speaker 1: To you definitely watch it knowing that I had to talk about it on this pod. I definitely watched the film differently like you, Yeah, you know you're gonna have to talk about it, so you part of the reason you're very alert to everything that's People are probably like, how the bloody hell did you take all of this in? But when you know you're going to have to talk about it, you definitely watch it twice as hard.
Speaker 3: So I've always had this kind of romantic notion that you've, well, go see a movie and then you go to a cafe or a restaurant you talk about the movie.
Speaker 2: You know, and you just never get to do it. Like you see a movie and you might cross somebody in the in the in the hall at work and you know I saw this, or you know, you might speak about it for briefly, but I really have found joy in the deep diving and kind of and maxt me understand movies more this. If I knew I wasn't going to talk about it for an hour, I would have missed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like I said, I see this movie half a dozen times, and that there's many things that I've missed it.
Speaker 2: I only picked up because two times.
Speaker 1: Totally, I think, and that was speaking about everything everywhere, all at once. That was I saw that with a mate and we ended up sitting out in the front of the movie theater talking for an hour after it to be like, I thought it was about this a little bit? Did you think it was about that? Oh? I thought it was about this. Yeah, And we'd just gone back and forth. And then after we have that hour conversation, you then google it and read what the director says and what the actors say about it, and that's you get that whole nother element of what they were trying what you got from it, and then what they were trying to communicate as well, and.
Speaker 3: Then you got to balance out, well, what do I want to take even though the director might say it's about this, or an actor might say it's about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my interpretation was this.
Speaker 3: I want to stick with that totally, which I think good filmmakers allow you to do that. Like this, this movie, like we've already mentioned, it doesn't serve it up to you, you know, and you can I love movies Where can Go? You might believe that they were perfect for each other, and yeah, I disagree.
Speaker 1: With I believe that relationships are stupid. That's what the movie is say, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, it's a pointless exercise. Everyone ends up heartbroken.
Speaker 3: That Well, let's we're going to start recording there and we're gonna sit down and watch the twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: And that's the next episode is the motives, the themes, running through running through the twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Let's relive it again. Okay, quarter one, here we are, Thanks.
Speaker 1: Mate, good on your feet.
Speaker 2: How impressive is that man?
Speaker 3: Not only for Collingwood supporters, but fans of any sport and just fans of good men. Obviously I was pretty psyched they have Dancy visit us outside his I wouldn't take comfort.
Speaker 2: I'm outside his usual arena.
Speaker 3: Obviously he's done some film studies, so it was well and truly inside his comfort zone and not the easiest film to tackle internal sunshine of the Spotless Mind has a lot going on, so it was great they have Darcy and here Darcy's thoughts on that. Welcome back to everyone, thanks for coming back to You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. The break was longer than I was intending. I got to December and I thought I just need some more time. There was some other projects I was working on, other things I needed to do. So yes, this will be another twenty episode season of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet, which it includes a live show at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival.
Speaker 2: So if you go on my Instagram page.
Speaker 3: PJ Hellier or go to Comedy dot com dot Au and yeah, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet will be happening at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival live with the one.
Speaker 2: And the Only Nick Cody.
Speaker 3: Melbourne listeners will certainly know Nick for Breakfast Rate Ye with Fife and Fev. He's done our Breakfast Radio and being busy as well. Been treading the boards for many many years, recently regular on the project My Old Stumping Ground. He's doing great work on that. He is an incredible bloke, very funny and I cannot wait to do this movie. We are doing Back to the Future. Yes, Nick Cody has never seen Back to the Future, so get tickets now. There'll be a lot to talk about, and there'll be some other surprise guests as well. I say surprise guests. We'll probably announced them sooner rather than later, so you have an idea of who might be joining us on stage as well.
Speaker 2: It's not Michael J. Fox or Christopher Lloyd.
Speaker 3: Sadly that's happening. And of course we're back. So let your friends know that this podcast exists. And obviously Gil on iTunes rate us five stars. That's the best way to get the algorithm moving and yet leave a review or drop us an email that he has any podcast at gmail dot com. A little bit rusty on my return. Also this week a big show, another big show. Great Ozzie film we're doing next week hopefully at a lot of you have seen it. It's the film that brought Heath Ledger and Rose Byrne to our collective psyche and into the spotlight before they became megastars in the US. It is, of course Gregor Jordan's Two Hands from nineteen ninety nine. Staying Brian Brown and a whole heap of very talent. That Dozzie Susie Porter's in there, the great Susie Porter. I really enjoyed revisiting this powder Finger that was provided one of the best scores.
Speaker 2: Well, they didn't prove up the score.
Speaker 3: They provide some of the couple of songs for the soundtrack and guess they work a treat in this film. If you haven't seen Two Hands that He's have a favor and check it out this week Before next week's episode with bron Lewis, bron Lewis will be watching Two Hands. Bron Lewis is a fantastic breezy comedian and she has been making big waves. I've given you her quite a bit both in Queensland and in Victoria and she's doing massive things. She's got a new show called Obviously She's cheering around they have seen her on have you been paying attention? She's very, very funny, very smart and looking forward to hanging out with Braun next week. Until then, enjoy the movies, buy tickets to the live show and give us a rating.
Speaker 2: Okay, but the now.
Speaker 3: And so we leave old Pete save fan sout and to our friends of the radio audience.
Speaker 2: We've been a pleasant good night