Speaker 1: Flex and Rooms Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Rooms catch up podcast, Sweety Pies.
Speaker 2: It is so great. Thursday Frooms is favorite day. Taking me a year and a half to remember that, but we're here now today we're chatting about the formalities around weddings and getting engaged at someone else's wedding.
Speaker 3: Would you do it? Would you not do it? Would you be mad if.
Speaker 1: Someone did it to you?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like somebody at your birthday dropping that they're like, got a new partner.
Speaker 3: It's not your day.
Speaker 2: Go away, go away anyway, and maybe a single because your eyebrows aren't good. This is what's going around on the internet. Guys, we're just the messenger. Please, We're just the messenger. Missy Deely, enjoy it.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Kaita.
Speaker 1: I was driving to work today and playing in the car. I have my car hooked up to Bluetooth so I can play my music through the speakers, which is such a fantastic experienced after many years of dealing with the plug in radio frequencies situation. Wow, you know a little yeah, it never had to, but it's a hard life. And yet I do it with stuff.
Speaker 2: Why would you sooner do that than just bringing a whole bluetooth speaker into your car that because you've.
Speaker 1: Gotta fiddle with it. It's not good.
Speaker 3: You just put it on shuffle. Yeah, nah, okay, no, it's fine anyway.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to work. I'm listening to the Imperfect podcast on my favorite podcast, but it's giving very much not super pump up vibes like fun fun Chat. Have you listened to it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I haven't, no fun Chat, but you know, sometimes I need a bit of our pick me up just before work. And tell me why I found a song that every time I listened to it. I've spoken about this on Instagram every time I listen to it.
Speaker 3: Not the recycled content always, babe.
Speaker 1: I want to cackle. A little bit of efferveescent bubble rises from my toes, all lay up into my.
Speaker 2: Gart This is one of my favorite things about you. Playful from the core, from the core.
Speaker 1: You've been playful your whole life.
Speaker 3: There may something years be serious, twenty four years.
Speaker 1: This is the song. Tell me if if everyone listening, do you feel this effervescent bubbles running up your legs?
Speaker 2: Soda water of the heart. I've never seen a more genuine smile from Free to reach her eyes in such.
Speaker 1: A severe way. There's like a glaze of joy over them.
Speaker 2: It's reflecting that did nothing for me in the sense that if my eyes were closed, nothing would come to the surface. But watching you be happy has made me happy.
Speaker 1: That's a macarena, ladies and gentlemen, a little known song from now. It's a fantastic song. It's the song with the dance and macarena as we all know. It just made me thinking, Yes, there are different ways to find joy in life, and one of them is listening to these weird fun songs.
Speaker 2: Just something about imagine them getting royalties of that song to this day.
Speaker 3: But imagine being able to make a hit like that.
Speaker 1: Just one hit, one hit. I used to think when I was going, oh, I'd hate to be one hit wonder it looks very.
Speaker 3: Appealing, stunning hut myself out.
Speaker 2: I currently hope for one hit, truly, don't ever shrink yourself out. The people who are still trying to make imagine being a Drake Drake has like ten albums of Rihanna nine ten hours.
Speaker 3: People like where is the new music? There is no new music.
Speaker 1: Just go back in the back cuddle, go to the back catalog.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's a ton you have not heard yet and you have not memorized those looks.
Speaker 1: Go back, unfaithful, Rihanna give it up today. I'm just gonna come out and say it. Oh. If I hear one more person talk about red flags, oh, included, what are you going to do? I'm gonna bare my fists up into balls and girl and then get over it because it's really not that deep. Yeah, you'd emotionally regulate. We need to talk about red flags. So I came across this video of a guy that's compiled all of the red flags that women supposedly have of men, and he's kind of like debunking them, right And I watched it and I'll get it up for you right now, just as the team.
Speaker 2: Outside of the context of us discussing other people's red flags on this show or talking about friendship red flags and stuff, do we have any dating red flags that actually stick?
Speaker 1: We can't get into that now. I'll play the TikTok morning.
Speaker 4: Okay, ladies, you want to know why you're struggling to find the guy, all right?
Speaker 1: Because this is something I just got sent. Someone just sent me said can I send you the X from my girls group chat? So yeah, go for it. This is just one page of five. So on this page it's like where's skinny riped jeans? Doesn't like dogs? Has a bit moji? Uses an iPad? Like they're very arbitrary, kind of like I know that the next generation will look back at this current generation and the ick culture and be like that is this is like millennials first but first coffee? Does that make sense? Yes? Yes, this is a live laugh love of this current generation. But it got me thinking, why do we think things like white genes are an ick? Is it because we all like, who's the arbitra of the rules that say that white genes are not cool? Is it general fashion? Or is it like other Is there something deeper going on.
Speaker 3: Just white genes?
Speaker 1: Well, white genes is the one that stuck out to me because I'm like, it's kind of like a benign thing. But I get the same like skinny gene, white gene Chino situation, Like why is it that some people find it? Why is it like a universal ick?
Speaker 2: I'm less icky about fashion because I just really like when people have a personal sense of style, so I'm not really picky about the clothes that fit in that style. I just assigned positive characteristics people who think about the way that they present to the world. I like when I interact with people who I think have a considered idea of who they are and they want to express that through whatever that looks like to them.
Speaker 1: Cool. Okay, Well that's a really interesting point because I wonder people then that are like turned off by guys or girls that don't fit into this like very specific acceptable fashion code. If it's maybe they don't accept it because they don't accept themselves because they're really like playing into this like quote unquote fashion desire.
Speaker 2: And I think there's merit in that because I like a kookie, quirky type of person and like with a little something peculiar happening.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to take that as like.
Speaker 2: A the the consequence of dating someone peculiar.
Speaker 3: There'sn't a few pieces that you don't really like.
Speaker 1: You do what you can, but it's part of the broader tapestry of that person, definitely, But I reckon that what is an interesting thing to consider if you're someone who gets turned off by IX like that that are kind of something that someone can change about themselves is to think about, Yeah, what parts of yourself do you not ex because I think getting caught up on things that aren't really like value based. Like let's say you really want a relationship, but you keep up against these icks that like keep giving you like full on ick vibes. Go back and think, oh, what do I actually want? And then decide are the genes an ick because I actually think that they're unattractive? Or are they an ick because I don't accept myself and I don't want people to see me with this person who I think is a bad reflection on me. Mmmm. That's my key takeaway when I see this exhaustive list.
Speaker 2: Anytime I see IX and red flags that are used in a context that isn't completely joking, I just assume the person's emostally unavailable and it's trying to put a bow on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally as.
Speaker 3: You should make it look good for yourself. Literally, Oh my god, it is flex and rooms on cat. Why are you single?
Speaker 2: Some unsuspecting stranger asks you, maybe it's a loved one. Actually yes, And then you smile and you nod.
Speaker 3: And you giggle.
Speaker 2: Hoping I'll just move the conversation along, and sometimes they do and oftentimes they don't. And so every now and then you might have to ask yourself, what am I single? And you go through the roller deck. Maybe I'm not attractive, Maybe I'm nobody's tired.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just there's like no good fish in the sea anyware we ate the more.
Speaker 1: A lobster eight.
Speaker 2: But this TikToker, via the name Snooper snub R, talks about the power of persuasion and girl bossing and eyebrows and have all these things have got.
Speaker 3: Plenty more to do with your singleness than you think.
Speaker 4: In college, there's this lady who had a monopoly on the eyebrown industry, and to this day, I think her marketing tactic is one of the best I've ever seen. She got her start by targeting greek life, so she was the exclusive eyebrown lady for every sorority on campus. Because she targeted sorority, she was able to up her prices and getting her eyebrows done with her was like thirty five dollars. And her tagline was essentially, you're not ugly, your eyebrows just suck and that's why you don't have a boyfriend. So anytime she met anyone, she was like, oh, you're single, not for long, not for long. You won't be for long because I'm gonna touch your eyebrows.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if it's manifestation or what. Every time someone got their eyebrows out with her, like less than a week or two after you would have a boyfriend, it was inevitable. Obviously, there's many reasons why this may be the case. But my best friend, for some reason, was really invested, and she's like, she's right, She's the only reason I'm single is because my eyebrows are bad. So she would fork over like forty dollars to get her eyebrows threaded by this person who was essentially.
Speaker 1: Just calling her ugly.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh, you're getting the true Indian American experience because I exclusively go to Indian women so they can do like, you look prettier last time, and then I would pay them for it. Anyway, during lockdown, she would drive two and a half hours just to get her eyebrows done exclusively by this lady. After doing her eyebrows with this lady for two weeks, she also got a boyfriend after twenty plus years of being single in college, there's this lady who I'm an off.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not gonna say that is not the reason.
Speaker 2: But if you're feeling some kind of desperate or you just seeking answers or looking for options. You've tried the apps, you tried going to your local Bunnings looking confused, you've tried meet and greets, you've tried speed dating, you tried blind dating, you tried the friend group and it's not working.
Speaker 3: Just go back to basics and try eyebrows. Just see how you go.
Speaker 1: Honestly, sometimes you just do need a second opinion to get a little bit of a refresh on the hair on the eyebrows. You know, you get stuck in your routines. If you're ready for it, definitely, if if you want to change, you want to shake.
Speaker 2: It up, because you know, I'm very sensitive, so I don't like asking for feedback at all, so beware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't give it unsolicited.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: No, don't ask for it if you're not ready for it. You don't go out to your you're nearest andjuriors.
Speaker 3: What could I change?
Speaker 1: Is that ratting off a few things. Don't do your spring form form? Clearly, I never used it. We got a listener submission. Wanted to know if they are rude?
Speaker 3: Not the right person to ask. My parameter is so off.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I feel like I'm being rude, no polite, or like there have been moments where I've tried to be the bigger person and not said something because I knew I was gonna say something shady, and it's come across.
Speaker 3: Me listening intently to you.
Speaker 5: I see the videos, babe. In my head, I'm like, Sometimes.
Speaker 1: Fruits will stop talking like is everything currently? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: And then I see the playback? Please continue? Ah, Flex and Frooms, I love your podcast. Isn't it considered rude? And they've just gone straight into it? I love this. Isn't it considered rude for your date or friend or person you're hanging out with to not introduce you to whoever they run into. I was just starting to date a guy and whenever we run into people he knew, he would literally ignore me. Even the person he would run into would look me in the eyes. This was a huge turn off for me and in my opinion, a sign of disrespect. He can call me a friend, or just say something like this is insert name here instead nothing, We're no longer dating upset devil face nice. I'm gonna say this is a pet peeve of mine as well, Queen. It is very easy to say, hey, okay, I'm out myself. I never remembert anyone's name. Okay, So when I'm with somebody else in public and I'm going to run into you, let's say I know you well, I'm still the name is going ah ah, I'll say, hey, oh my god, have you met Roger. Like I'll be like, oh, hey, this is Roger. And then I just will like hope that Roger will be like, hey, I'm Roger and they'll be like, oh, my name's Lucy. Right. That's what I do. I could never have someone I don't like the idea of like being with someone there. They're just like sitting there like the may I please please yonder.
Speaker 2: There have been instances where I have not introduced the person i'm speaking to the person i'm with because I don't like the person I'm speaking to, because I don't want to invite them further into my life and spread the network wide open and provide context.
Speaker 1: It's similar to the way that.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, sometimes you receive an email from someone and you're like, just because you've sent it and it's landed, I'm not going to respond because I don't want to respond to what's in this email. I don't want to deal with it. Same with interactions. I really value the friends that I have, but I also have a ton of people that I interact with on a daily basis who I don't think it's necessary to rope them in or like bridge the gap between stranger and close person.
Speaker 3: To me, it's just not necessary.
Speaker 2: Sometimes if that's not the case, if we're at just like a communal house party or whatever, I won't introduce the person I'm with to the person who's saying hello. I don't want to have a bigger conversation than a fleeting high by, because if I can't do a high hi, this is Licinda gotta go.
Speaker 1: I'm a bit of that.
Speaker 3: But it's obvious.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I want to be I obvious in the way that it's sending mixed signals. I want it to be clear what I'm doing without having to say the words.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: So if I've heard a few feelings on the way I do understand, and.
Speaker 1: We unreservedly don't apologize, but there's definitely some empathy there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in this instance, I see why you'd feel some kind of way.
Speaker 1: My wife and I, she's a female twenty six and I'm a male thirty two, got married two weeks ago. Cute at our reception, her cousin Rachel caught the bouquet. Apparently her boyfriend Ross had been carrying a ring around waiting for the right time to propose this is real and decided that when she was catching the bouquet that was a sign. So immediately after Rachel caught the bouquet, Ross ran out the dance floor and got down on money propose to her. She said yes, and obviously shifted the vibe onto them. Then the DJ played their song for a chance and derailed the next few things that we had planned. No, I was already not happy about this because we only had the photographer available for a short amount of time. My wife doesn't often do things for herself. We put a lot of money into the wedding. I decided to ask Ross and Rachel to leave, and at the time my wife agreed with me. So when I had the.
Speaker 3: Time, she said go get him king.
Speaker 1: So when I next had the chance, I pulled Ross aside to tell him I didn't appreciate him upstaging us and that I thought it'd be best if he and Rachel left early. Ross started arguing with me and said that I was acting nuts, which caused more of a scene than I expected. A few of the wedding guests overheard the conversation and jumped in with their opinions. It's a whole group activity. Ross and Rachel did ultimately decide to leave, but people were talking about them getting engaged and also making them out. Everyone was on our side, but even my wife and I weren't happy that people continue to talk about Rachel.
Speaker 3: This is a Barber Streie sound effect.
Speaker 1: My wife has since said that it was wrong to kick them out and we should have pretended to be happy for them in the moment, so it's not to ruin the night because people would have talked less about it that way. Rachel's mother has also complained to my wife's mother their sisters about me kicking them out. What oh, Rachel's the cousin, Because now this is the only thing anyone's going to remember about the wedding. I still do think that Ross and Rachel, mostly Ross, were arseholes in this situation. But was I also and saying, let's take a little break. You're on flexing frooms on catera ninety six point one or dab, not dad, but it's a dab. We'll be back right after the break. See then it's flex and frooms on catera. You have a wedding flex and in the wedding you toss the bouquet. Who catches it? Your cousin. Your cousin's partner decides this is an opportune time to get done on one knee and present her a ring. She says, yes, they are engaged at your wedding, thus derailing the evening. Are you the arsehole for then kicking them out? Yeah? Really, it's all just a bit much, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's all just a bit much, isn't it.
Speaker 2: What I will say is the whole thing to me sounds exactly like the barber stride sound effect, which is when you draw attention to something by trying to conceal it. So in this instance the attention has already been drawn. By removing the people who are causing the attention, you draw more attention with their absence. So in that instance I would have given them a talking to and let them stew in the discomfort.
Speaker 3: I think I would even double down.
Speaker 2: I'll do a talking to or better yet, mum, can you go talk to so and so? Let someone else do it talking to give them a few dirtiest became a classy, Give a classy and let them stew in the discomfort of that, because that's insane behavior.
Speaker 1: Get the logic though, skep moment.
Speaker 2: We also have a love like perfect timing. But also the point about the photographer. We've only got a photographer for a few for a limited time.
Speaker 3: Don't waste the energy. I don't know. Yeah, you are the asshole.
Speaker 1: I think you're not the asshole on your day you can behave I think we need to bring in groom zillas, and this is a very groomzilla type thing to do. I think maybe it would have caused you less grief if you just let them shoe in their own discomfort as you say, yeah, share. However, sometimes you do just got to kick someone out.
Speaker 2: There's something about in that instance, the transference of asshole behavior is something you've got to be really careful about because We have a lot of these dilemmas come through when in trying to point out someone's asshole behavior, you then become the asshole.
Speaker 3: We want to avoid that it's not worth it. On your own wedding day, you are now the bad guy.
Speaker 1: I'm not about that lot.
Speaker 2: How many attendees one hundred, one fifty, let's say, two hundred flat two hundred people have now got it in their mouth that you are a groomzilla on your big day. Your own wife, who who was egging you on to go kick your cousin out, is also thinking you were doing too much.
Speaker 3: It's not worth it.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.