Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Order Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impactful tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money darries where we get to talk with one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their journey. Let's jump straight into it, because this week we got a message and it sounded exactly like this. Hi, She's on the Money. I'm a money failure, but I'm working on it. I grew up in a wealthy family, but subsequently I learned no money skills. But now I'm getting out of debt, slowly working on a budget, and moving from working less than seven hours a week to thirty hours. I've got a baby on the way, so now it's more important than ever for me to change my ways. I'm so excited about this money drest. One, welcome to the show, Thank you. And two, I'm obsessed with the idea that you're giving us a money story. But like, you're not there yet. We're on the journey, like we're changing our mindset, but we're in the middle of the mindset shift. Like I'm just so excited to have a chat with you.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited. I love every money story in binge them, so I do love hearing all the inspo.
Speaker 2: Is it weird hearing me do the intro? If you binge our money diaries and it's like for you and live, I was like.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is me that we're talking about. This is very weird.
Speaker 2: How good? All right, Well, let's do a money diary. I always ask the same first question at the start money Diarist, what would you grade your money habits if I forced you to give them a grade from A through to F.
Speaker 4: I used to think it was an F. I'd like to be a bit kinder to myself and say I was an e because we're working on it.
Speaker 2: But yes, all right, well let's get a little bit further into it. We got a very brief summary of where you've come from, but let's dive deeper. Money diarist, can you tell me a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I grew up with wealthy parents. They both grew up with no money. My mum lived in a small town with everybody in the one room in Italy, and dad was pretty much the same but over in Melbourne. So they built what I would say is an empire. They provided everything for us. We all went to private school, so I'm one of six kids.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you know someone's wealthy when in twenty twenty four people say I'm one of six.
Speaker 4: Like, okay, They yeah, provided everything for us. We went on you know, an international holiday every year.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. We six kids, not even talking about money, like the logistics.
Speaker 4: So the youngest three always went, and then others added on depending on where they were with work. So there's a lot of us to try and coordinate things with. But yeah, so everything was easily given to us, not in the sense that like anything we asked for was given to us. But we were very rarely told no. If we needed.
Speaker 2: Something, yeah, you didn't go without.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was very good. But we actually never spoke about money at all. I've grown up with the same sort of sense that you know, I can go on travel every year, and I can do this and do that. And I have been working since I was sixteen. I really enjoy working. Some people would say I'm obsessed with working, and we'll work a whole week, because since I was about eighteen, I had studied full time and worked full time, if not seven days a week. So I do really like work as well. But as soon as I get money, I spend it. And I have a little bit of impulse control that I'm working on. But I would save money and then I would go on a holiday and I'd spend every single bit that I had and then repeat the cycle again. So last year my appendix best and I know the job that I was in at that time, they'd lost a lot of clients, so I cann't actually work many hours at all if I was in a beauty role, and they'd only probably get about seven hours of work a week and had to then kind of adjust the fact that I wasn't earning money and that I had my appending. So the one time that I was going to be able to earn a bit more money if my joke was picking up my appendix disulted worst. And what I was studying last year it requires me to fly into state to do.
Speaker 2: My Oh how annoying. And you're injured so you weren't able to do a lot of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it made it a bit harder. And it's definitely the most expensive degree I've ever done. Having to fly into State every semester. That's crazy, Yeah, but it's something that I love doing.
Speaker 2: Tell me about this degree, though, like what degree has you traveling into state? And can I guess first? Is it like something to do with marine biology or something that you need to travel to Tasmania for.
Speaker 4: No, that's pretty cool though. I would love to do that because I also love studying as much as I love working. I love studying as well. But I study clinical aesthetics and it's actually not something anyway. So there's only two universities in the country that offer it, and they're both based either in Sydney or in Melbourne. So they held their practice into state.
Speaker 2: What do you do as a job. When you study clinical aesthetics.
Speaker 4: You are kind of less than an aesthetic nurse, but more than a general therapist. So you can do treatments, you can do research, you can do so much with it, so depends on where you want to land. I like being face to face with people, so I'm doing treatments, but it is one of those things that who knows where it takes me.
Speaker 2: Now that I'm pregnant, that's literally so exciting. I'm so interested in that space. So it's like not a beauty therapist, but it's also like not at the other end where you're able to do like injections and like filler and botox and stuff, but you're allowed to do the middle stuff that a beauty therapist wouldn't be licensed.
Speaker 4: To do exactly. And where I want to specialize, which I've still got about a year ago, is wound healing. So working with plastic surgeons and working with people who have got big wounds.
Speaker 2: Oh how fun. And you mentioned in your story and also right now that you're going to have a baby. Yes, tell me about that.
Speaker 4: My partner and I've been together about a year and a half and we'd started talking about potentially having a baby at the beginning of next year, and then she surprised us.
Speaker 2: Oh, we love this. She's like, guys, it's my time to shine.
Speaker 4: So I am due at the end of this year. I'm due in December. But yes, it was a lovely surprise. We are not taking any part of this for granted, so we thought we would be in a better position. But that's fine. We will take what we can get when it comes to babies.
Speaker 2: How beautiful. That's so exciting. I know this isn't money to the US questions, but how did you find out you were pregnant if it was a surprise, Because I think everybody knows that I was trying to get pregnant, so I was like testing before. I wasn't even meant to be testing. Everyone's like, you need to wait longer than a week there, and I'd be like, I'm a just test in case, Like logically we know that the line isn't going to come up, But like, how did you find out you were pregnant if it wasn't something that you'd planned.
Speaker 4: Yes, So I was probably four or five days away from getting my period, and I had a dream that I was pregnant.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad, I asked, So I thought.
Speaker 4: I'll just pianistic. What's the worst it's going to happen. It's just going to give me peace of mind in case, you know, I'm a little bit wrong, and that is what it is. But I was right. My dreams told me that I was pregnant, so so sweet.
Speaker 2: Did you know you were pregnant with a girl?
Speaker 4: Up until week eight, I actually thought I was having a boy. So the entire time I thought I was having a boy. And then we did our little nicked test and no, she's a girl.
Speaker 2: It's wild. When I had Harvey, we didn't find out the gender until birth and we were in the theater and the obstetrician held Harvey up and said, what if you guys had and my husband was like, it's a boy. And I was just shocked because I thought he was joking, because I thought I had the best mother's intuition in the entire world, like I had convinced myself I was having a girl. I didn't care about the gender, but I just thought I was, like, you know, full of intuition. Turns out I was incredibly wrong. He was most definitely a boy. And yeah, so that's just a humbling experience for me. But ah, how exciting a little lady.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm very very excited. My sister I gave birth to a boy earlier this year, and my sister in law is about four weeks before me, so she's also having a boy. So we're gonna have three grand babies in a year, which is exciting.
Speaker 2: Tell your parents they're welcome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, they can't stop crying if anyone else gets pregnant, I think they might just pass out.
Speaker 2: Let's give them a little bit of a break. Money arrest. I want to know, now, what are you currently doing for work and how much money do you earn?
Speaker 4: So I work in retail. I have two jobs, so I'm working six days a week at the moment, and I work in a casual role for both of them. And one is the big beauty retailer we all knowing love bougie, and one is like I sell jewelry, engagement ringings and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool, I feel like that's a nice mix.
Speaker 4: With Mecca, I can absolutely spend all with my pay in the blink of an eye, But with the other one, I'm not buying myself an engagement ring.
Speaker 2: So also I feel like if I work at Mecca, I would be on a slippery slope, like you, of all people are going to know guys, I'm a level four, So like that tells you that if I worked at Mecca, I'd have literally no money because I'd walk into work, spend all my money, and then leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it happens. Everybody goes through it. You get through to a point like I've been there for over five years, so it's been a bit of time, but you still spend your money every time. I don't think anyone walks into my friend doesn't buy something.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. And was it always like a dream to work at Mecca, because I feel like if you're in this industry, like you're someone who's studying clinical aesthetics and like putting your all into it, Like I can't think of a better job to work out while you're studying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is fantastic because a lot of my degree is like skin conditions and skin health, so I get a lot of practice I guess without actually being able to diagnose.
Speaker 2: And they would absolutely love you because then you're giving good product recommendations.
Speaker 4: How good Yeah, it's very pervy. I love doing it.
Speaker 2: Now, don't tell me what you earn per hour, But between the two of your jobs, how much money are you bringing home?
Speaker 4: It's roughly two two hundred to fortnite. The last financial year, because I didn't get to work for about six months, it was actually about just over forty two thousand. It's a bit hit and miss because, like I said, both of them are casuals. Who really does depend.
Speaker 2: On hours and time of the year and all of that. Yeah, but like those are good jobs to have while you're studying. Next question, I want to note, you've got a baby on the way, you're slowly getting out of debt, you're working on a budget, but what are your big money goals at the moment?
Speaker 4: First big money goal would be having an emergency fund. Not working much last year, I don't have any savings left. And then I would also be saving for some extra time off Matt leave because I'll be using my centerling pay. But if I want to have a little bit more time with the baby, I don't want my partner to be I mean, he's happy to be financially responsible for all of us, but I would like to still contribute in some way, so I'd like to have a little bit of savings behind me as well.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like having an emergency fund at the moment is a really good goal. Have you sat down and thought about what an emergency fund for a young couple expecting their first baby is going to look like? Like, what's the goal?
Speaker 4: I haven't thought that much about it, if I'm being completely honest.
Speaker 2: Girl, we need to sit down.
Speaker 4: I know. It's one of those things that like, I'm really getting into it in the last month, and we've never been people to like combine our finances. We didn't even really talk about money until I started stressing about like what next you will look like.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it is so stressful too, And like when you start googling how much baby stuff is, it's wild. Just to put your heart at ease and your mind is right now. They use next to none of it. You need ones is. The best ones are at Target, the Target brand ones too. Nine to ninety five money in burp cloths and a boob you are fine. If they don't want to take the boob formula, really simple formula.
Speaker 4: That's the plan. I'm hoping all of that we're just going to buy as we need. So we've obviously got the things we know we need, Carsiat, Pram, all of that, but everything else if she needs it, we're five minutes away from baby bunting.
Speaker 2: Yes see, that's the mindset that I wish I had. I kept worrying that I didn't have something, and I'd be like, oh my gosh, like what if I don't have it, Oh, maybe I'll just buy it in case forgetting completely that. I literally live ten minutes from the memo and like everybody knows, the memo has absolutely everything. I should have used my brain a bit more, but at the same time, like it's really exciting. I don't know, you see something cute and you're like, I need this. I think the thing that saved me money Diarist was that I didn't know what gender I was having, and that actually saved me a lot of money because I couldn't be impulsive on oh it's a little cute pink onesie or it's a blue onesie. Like I didn't buy a lot of gender and stuff. I kind of made sure I had the basics for like the hospital and like the few weeks after then, I went ham online shopping. While I was recovering in hospital. I was high on end don because at the end of the day I had had a cesarean and my baby is quiet at some point, and I was like, cool, if we are up at three am feeding, I'm also shopping.
Speaker 4: I understand completely. Me and my partner have been very slow with buying her gifts just yet. But every now and then there's a very key thing and I'm like, oh, I can't whistle.
Speaker 2: We need to have it. No, I adore it. All right, let's stop the baby chat. I have a lot of questions. Let's go to a quick break and on the flip side, I want to know more about this debt. I want to know more about how you're working on a budget. I want to know your best and worse money habits. So guys, don't go anywhere money diarist do. We are back, and I am loving having this chat with you. I feel like we've very quickly become besties. You've said that you're a money failure and you're working on it. You're currently studying clinical aesthetics. Last year you made forty two thousand dollars and in December you're having a baby. I just think there's a lot to unpack here. But I want to know first money, Darist, do you invest if so in what if not? Have you ever thought about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I have my super because I've been working for so long. I think my sweeper is currently sitting at about forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, it's a nice.
Speaker 4: Little nest egg that's building for me, which is lovely. And then I do also own some shares. I did it all myself when we were like right in the middle of COVID and we were getting job keeper and I thought, this is more than my casual wage. I'll just put it all towards chares.
Speaker 2: Oh, how good.
Speaker 4: I think I invested five hundred dollars in different actual companies because I was trying to find things that are aligned with what I wanted to invest in. They've all grown to be sort of a one hundred seventy five percent of what I invest in, so they're returning. Well.
Speaker 2: I thought, you're about to tell me it was like one hundred and seventy five thousand dollars and I was about to be like, Babe, this money, Darry is going in a very different direction that I had anticipated. Unrelatable content. But okay, tell me how much have you got in shares now?
Speaker 4: So I originally invested one thousand dollars, it's sitting close to eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh, very nice over that period of time.
Speaker 4: I think I bought them in twenty twenty one. I also have Sharesyes, I've only been using it for probably two months now, but I've essentially just put ten dollars a week.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's a convert. I love it.
Speaker 4: I just want to make sure that there's something else going towards something and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work for me. But at least I'm trying to get into the habit of putting away that ten dollars a week.
Speaker 2: So tell me a little bit more. Because diving into the share market for a lot of people can be overwhelming and honestly uninspiring. I've been trying really hard for my entire career to make investing sexy. But when you start getting into the nitty gritty of it, and you have to look at a fact sheet for an ETF, or you look up a direct share ticker code on the ASEX to read the website to make sure it's a ligned to your values, like the sexiness starts to wear off. Tell me a little bit about how you picked those initial investments and what platform did you pick, Like, how did you go they I'm an investor because you're young, Like, this is something that so many of us just keep putting off and putting off.
Speaker 4: I used self wealth, So I got into investing. QUI because my little sister has always been fantastic with money, and we are competitive.
Speaker 2: So oh, I love a competitive streak for getting ahead.
Speaker 4: She's got into investing, so I got into investing. We have different values in what we want to invest in, so I just did a bit of research and I found one's I was happy to invest in. So I invest in like education focused shares and things like that.
Speaker 2: Oh how cool.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I just found a couple of shares. I read as much information as I could, and then I got too scared and I thought, you know what, I'm just going to trust my gut and pick a couple and go from there.
Speaker 2: Once you trusted your gut, were you like, oh, this is definitely not as scary as I thought it would be, because I feel like you get analysis paralysis just picking. And then once you've picked, You're like, ah, that's it, that's easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just thought, you know what, what's the worst is going to happen. It's not the end of the world. I'll just pick. I'll see how it goes. And they all lost money for a long time, and here we are, we're back right up, better than we started.
Speaker 2: I love this for us all right. Now, earlier you mentioned that you have debt and you're slowly getting out of it. Can you tell me a little bit more about this dbate? What's it for? How much is it? What's the plan?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So when I was younger, I got a car loan, which the only way I was going to get a new car and a bigger car and a safer car was me getting a car loan at that point. And so I got my car loan, and probably from the first payment onwards, I regretted it.
Speaker 2: No how frustrating. It's the debt and the sting every month that it's coming out that you're like, look, it was really sexy when I signed up for this. I don't really like having to give the money back every single month. That's no fun.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. So rather than my minimum, I almost tripled what I was supposed to pay and paid it off a lot faster than I could while I was earning money. And then I think I've still got maybe five hundred dollars. It's not a lot left on it, and about one payment away from finishing that, which is good.
Speaker 2: That's so exciting. How much was the car loan in its entirety?
Speaker 4: I was approved for twenty one, but then I got my mom to come and negotiate.
Speaker 2: Thanksmart playing the car, and they.
Speaker 4: Went all the way down to seventeen because I had so much I wanted to put into it myself. And yeah, I think the loan total was seventeen thousand and yeah, and now I'm down to five hundred.
Speaker 2: I love that. How much more debt have you got? Have you got any other debts sitting around?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I do use after pay, which I know is not necessarily the best, but I actually use almost like a to control how much goes out every fortnite.
Speaker 2: It's a cash flow tool, yes, and.
Speaker 4: So I do have it. I have worked with them to keep it as low as possible with the amount I'm allowed to spend, and I just use it for like those little things that come up and I'm like, oh, I forgot about that and purchase that way.
Speaker 2: So tell me about how you have negotiated with them to have it be a lower amount, because that's not easy. You can't just log online and drop it. Have you like called up after pay and been like, give me less?
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much. I sent them a message because I had gotten to a point where I think it was close to two thousand dollars or even a bit more than that that they had approved me, and I was like, I want to be honest, I'm the most reckless and impulsal with money sometimes I don't want to be responsible for that, and I don't want to owe you guys fees, So I'd rather keep it under a thousand dollars or as you know, whatever the lowest it could be at that point in time. And I think it sits at about like a thousand dollars, but I wouldn't let myself get anything close to that because I get a bit anxious. In case you know that Fortnite is the fortnighte that I don't work as much or anything like that.
Speaker 2: It's stress inducing. I love that you're controlling it and using it as a cash flow tool. I obviously can be quite cynical on after pay, and I mean I am with all buy now, pay later platforms, right, it's not because they're not good tools. Like after pay in your situation, you're working casually, we can do fers and payments for things that you ultimately needed. But it's the slippery slope that they provide to people who don't see it as a form of debt. They go, well, I've after paid it, and it's like, well, yes, that's basically the same as using your credit card, even though you're not paying interest. Like, those are things that you might not have spent money on, and it's putting you in a negative situation. So I picked up on the tone of what you were sayingually, oh it's not great, but like then you explained a really great way that you had used it, and you've brought down how much you're able to even spend on that, and you're responsible with it, Like I would say, you're far more in control than you've made out to be.
Speaker 4: My friend, I wasn't when I first had it. I got it whenever it first launched.
Speaker 2: You know, I had to learn the hard way.
Speaker 4: I had to learn the hard way. I didn't want to be responsible for that kind of debt. I like having the option. I don't always use it, though, so that.
Speaker 2: Is so fair. Are there any other debts that we haven't discussed technically?
Speaker 4: Yes, I do owe a little bit of money on my tax return this year. I haven't lodged it because I'm just going to put that off for a little bit. It's not a lot. I've been able to claim enough to bring that down to about I think it's three hundred dollars that I'm going to owe the government. You know that can wait a little second. I know it's there, and I'm working towards it.
Speaker 2: You've got time. I like that, and I like that you know in advance, like most people don't know in advance what they're going to all on tax? Who is this?
Speaker 4: Both of my parents work in tax, so it's helpful to be prepared and to have somebody in my corner helping me out.
Speaker 2: That feels like me right, Like if anybody remembers, I basically repeat the same stories over and over. But I grew up in a family we definitely were not wealthy. But I grew up in a family where my dad was an accountant and tried to teach me money over and over and over again. And do you think I would listen? Absolutely not. And I'm sure you're in the same situation where they're trying to teach you know. I mean, you probably didn't talk about money per se in relation to their money or what you could spend, but they would probably be trying to educate you. And it's not until you're in a pickle that you're like, maybe I should have listened to dad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's often the case. It's actually very cute. They actually met at the Ato's.
Speaker 2: So cute an Ado dream.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So they're very much yeah, finance focused and tax focused. So it's good to have in my corner now that I'm have my head screwed on a little bit and I will actually listen and learnt.
Speaker 2: I like that, Now, tell me about what you think your best money havebit is.
Speaker 4: I'm always looking for a way to earn more. So I like to mystery shop so that like if I want to go out for grilled for instance, like my mystery shop covers my pain and then I just you know, I get paid to.
Speaker 2: Eat what's a grilled order? Because I feel like this is very telling of somebody's personality. What are you ordering at the moment?
Speaker 4: I am not eating a lot with baby, but I really like the what's it called Wild wild West, the pineapple one.
Speaker 2: Or I always get pineapple on my burger, so good, it is good. I'm obsessed with They have the impossible burgers, so I get the impossible guard and goodness with grilled pineapple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fantastic. I don't know why anyone wouldn't eat pineapple on their pizza or on this burger, but.
Speaker 2: I think it's funny that you mention it because you're like, I mystery shoped to go to grilled. Last time I went to Grilled, which, hilariously enough, was last night. My burger was like more than twenty dollars, and I was like, this is a lot, Like the cost of living is insane, Like how did I just spend more than twenty dollars on a single burger from arguably a takeaway location. This is to me crazy. So it's like a special treat. I'm glad that you are funding it smartly, and I'm not.
Speaker 4: It's so easy to do, like in my spare time, so I pick up whatever job I want, So that works well, and I do always try to work as much as I can, although again, being pregnant is becoming more apparent that I can't work as much as i'd like.
Speaker 2: How's that impacting you, like the pregnancy, Like are you not well? Like what does that look like? Until December?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the first three months I spent every day vomiting, and when I wasn't vomiting, I was nauseous, so wasn't a fan. Then I got good for about a month and now I'm back to being six. So, No, I can't work all the time, and especially standing up in retail, I can't. But my other retail job, I am by appointment only, so I'm sitting down for everything, which makes life a lot easier. Yeah, but I'm just trying to work as much as I can when when I can. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was something that I planned every part of my pregnancies and didn't foresee coming. Like thankfully I knew once I got pregnant pretty quickly that I wasn't very good at being pregnant. And I know that lots of people say pregnancy is beautiful, like it's the most beautiful time of your life. Like, yes, maybe it was for you, but not for me, like pregnancy in general is not for me, and that's okay. Will I do it again? Yeah, I'll try, but I won't enjoy it. And I love that other people enjoy it, and it doesn't make me less grateful that I can get pregnant and had a baby and all of that, but like, my gosh, it is a ride, but it looks like a ride that's now going to financially impact you. Are you planning around that? Like what conversations are you having with your partner?
Speaker 4: He is so kind and very concerned for my health, which is lovely. So he's actually encouraging me to step back from work a little bit. He's like, don't worry if there's anything that comes up that's on me. Like I'm the one that asking me to work less and do all of that. So that's very lovely, But it's also such a hard mindset for me to shift. It didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be working next year, Like it didn't make sense to me because I have worked so much my entire life that oh wait, no, I actually have to stop because I'm now someone's mum and they need me. It was such a mindset shift that I can't do everything all of the time.
Speaker 2: No, and that is literally a full time job. Like it's so insane how exhausted you become and how on you are all the time. Don't get me wrong, it is the best job in the entire world. But it is a lot. Like you might not be going to work anymore. But I'm sorry if you're tired now.
Speaker 4: Ha huh. I'm fully prepared for the fact that this is just prepping me for what it might be.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, do you know what? And this is complete side note. A lot of people they always say, just wait until you have the baby. It's going to get harder. No, sit down, stop telling me just wait. Pregnancy tired is like no other Like I feel better postpartum at three am when I have a screaming baby than I ever did pregnant, Like, if you go through that nauseous period like I had, HG, it sounds like you're pretty much on the same path. It sucks being pregnant. Being not pregnant a blessing, Like you can deal with anything when you're not nauseous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am grateful to be pregnant, but I am so happy when she's out of me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, all right, So any other really good money habits.
Speaker 4: I'd say that's pretty much everything. I do have a pretty good mindset in the sense that I don't have a scarcity mindset. So I just always believe that if something bad was to happen, I would just earn more money. I would find a different job, I would do this, And I think that's what makes me slightly less stressed about certain situations, Like I think had last year happened to me and I didn't have that mindset, I would have been very down in the dumps for a while and kind of spiraled into a debt spiral, Whereas now like I'm just like, no, I'll just build it back up. I'll earn more money when I'm healthy again. And here we are.
Speaker 2: That is so good, all right? Tell me, though, what's your worst money have it?
Speaker 4: I'm extremely impulsive and I do really love to shop, and like emotionally shop as well. So like when I'm feeling not my best self, especially in my pregnancy, I'm like, but I deserve like some clothes that feel good in pregnancy, or I will deserve to buy the baby this, or you know, I like to treat myself a little bit, but I'm getting on top of that. And I think the other thing is like I don't really have much of a budget. My income's always variable. I kind of see what I get paid that fortnight and then kind of work it out from there. It's never hard and fast, so I often get surprised by my bills. But that's something I'm working on. Me and my partner have started to sit down. We've actually got a money date booked in which he thinks is really dalky, but I think it's really cool.
Speaker 2: All right, sit down, sir, this is the sexiest thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so we're gonna like have a proper look at what we spend, where we spend. And like I said to him, I was like, it's not about judging where our money goes. It's just knowing where our money goes and if that's something that we're happy with or if we want to change it, like, we don't know until we know.
Speaker 2: And I feel like there's something incredibly powerful about setting up a money date, whether you are single and you are just setting time aside for yourself to do that, or you're in a couple for a really long time. And you're finally deciding to do it. I feel like setting a time and setting a date and carving out that space to have that conversation means you both enter the conversation with the right mindset. So many times, you know, I might have come home and said to Steve, we really need to be talking about our budget, and like, I've just had an hour in the car to myself. I've thought about all the things we need to do, all the things we need to change, But he wasn't ready for me to walk into the house and start talking money. Like you sometimes need to be in the right mind frame, and like setting a time, setting a date and putting it aside means that you're both entering the chat on the same page and we can actually create a sustainable and good budget and we know who's bringing what to the table. And I just think that is so incredibly powerful when you say you're working on a budget, like have you done any pre work for this or is this something that you're like, look, the money date hasn't come up yet, it's coming, but we're going to do it, or like have you started tracking expenses or writing down what's going on? Like where are we.
Speaker 4: At with that, I've started looking back on all my past bills, so like looking at all my car insurance was this year at the beginning, so that next year I have a rough idea of what's coming up or whatever it is. I'm still in the habit of liking the surprise of where my money goes, but I'm trying to be better. And so yeah, it's mainly like the big bills. And he owns his home, so he pays mortgage, but I pray rent.
Speaker 2: Good choice for baby Daddy. I like this because so.
Speaker 4: It's just about like tracking what's the house expense, and so I've asked him to kind of look into that as well, but we haven't actually got something fully written out. My star has a pretty basic budget or hers is fantastic, but she sent me something that's sort of a very basic version of hers to just get me started. But I'm not really sure what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: So now I'm going to fix it for you before your money date. I'm going to give you access to our money masterclass so that you can do that. This spreadsheet in there like I made it, so I'm biased, so take my advice however you want. But it is next level, like you don't even have to do a lot of the calculations because I've auto formulated them, and you just put in all of your expenses and then it'll spit out where you're spending it, what bank accounts it needs to go in, what this looks like, how it might work for you, and you can even put in like money goals and what that looks like. You go, here is my income, these are my expenses, and then you go to the next sheet and it'll be like, okay, money, darist, you have this much leftover from your budget to spend on your goals. What's your emergency fund going to be looking like? And then the next page, once you put all that in, it's like, all right, here's the cash flow system. Every single week, you need to transfer to this account X to this account and don't forget red Joe, that's going to come up in six months. But we're saving for it over here, and I'm obsessed with it, probably because I made it, but I'm going to give you that, and then you could fill all of that in before your money date and your partner's going to be like, Okay, Wizard, no worries, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I was trying to write my own one, and that's when I resorted to ask in my sister because I was like, I don't understand excel. I don't know how to use this.
Speaker 2: It's hard and overwhelming if you don't get it. But don't worry. You can't muck this up because I've actually locked every single cell in it, so you can only put numbers in and change like the names for things. You can't break it because I've locked it.
Speaker 4: Fantastic, that's what I need in my line.
Speaker 2: I was like when I made it, I literally laughed and was like, I'm going to lock this down so that no one can mess with my formulas, because I don't need someone accidentally messing with a formula and then getting like the wrong output, and then I'd be mortified. So no, we've like doubled down and I've even highlighted these are the only boxes you can fill in. You can change the names here. That's it.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, It sounds like it's yeah for me.
Speaker 2: So far, so good. People tell me it's full proof. We love that money doest. I have a bit of a bone to pick with you, though, so I'll be nice to you. I'll give you the money masterclass, but now you've got to sit down because I need to have a hard word with you. You said, I used to be in f and I was like, great, good reflection, but I'm now an E and I was like, okay, this is good, Like, let's have this conversation. You then went on to explain that you know you've got the goal of creating an emergency fund. You've already planned, you know what scent Link is going to look like for Matt Leeve. You've clearly got a very supportive partner who's you know, making sure that you're putting yourself in the best possible position while you're going through this pregnancy. You knew off the top of your head what you're super was you have shares like you're an actually investor. Not only are you an investor, you invested in twenty twenty one one thousand dollars and now it's up to eighteen hundred bucks, you're also on shares. E's I fully anticipated someone who said that they were an E to say, no, I actually don't invest yet. They no idea even what it is, and that's not an issue. That was just my expectation. You then went on to say I had a car loan of seventeen thousand dollars, brought my mum in to negotiate it down because I'm a genius and that's what I should have done. Didn't like the payments, so they guess what I did, tripled them, So I only have five hundred dollars left on that debt. I know exactly what I'm earning in my retail jobs. Not only do I have a retail job, I have two of them, and I work six days a week. I'm also pregnant. What the heck? You also explained how you're using after pay as a cash flow tool, but knew yourself so well that you didn't want two thousand dollars on it, so negotiated them down. Actually got in contact with them and said, can you please bring down my limit? No one does that in advance. You know what your tax return is going to be, and you're literally cash planning in your head to look, I know that I've got time and I don't have to submit my tax return yet, so I'm not going to because I'm probably gonna have to pay them three hundred dollars. Let's put that off a little bit. Like you are smarter than the average bear. If you had heard this money story about anybody else, would you have been like, yeah, the an E is fair.
Speaker 4: No, I think I'm a bit harder on myself than I would like to be. You think, well, I think it comes from like all the past me and now that we kind of talk about it, I can see that I've made a lot more growth.
Speaker 2: You absolutely have. And then on top of that, I can tell you're letting your money story define who you are, Like, yes, you've come from a wealthy family and subsequently you learnt, according to you, no money skills. But I would say that you do have good money skills and are being super harsh on yourself, but you cannot let yourself be defined by your money story. Like you're the one that's currently in control of your money story and where you're going and what that's going to look like, and how you and your partner deal with cash, and then how you and your partner have the baby, and how you communicate money conversations around her. Like an E, hypothetically, if you were to become an a what kind of work do you think that would take.
Speaker 4: I think I would like to be out of debt and I'd like to have my emergency fund sort of sorted so that I could start saving for like other bits and pieces, because like I said, I'm still impulsive, so I think i'd want to get on top of that a little bit before I could say for certain that I'm an A. But I think if I'm being kinder on myself, maybe I'm a C right now, but working my way up.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like sometimes we get money dirests on and it's this beautiful reflection that maybe they're not doing as bad as they thought they would. And I think the thing that I love about this is you said, look, I really want to get on top of my debt. I really want to create an emergency fund. I really want to shift my mindset a bit. But you're so of that. Like people who aren't changing and are genuinely an E or an EF at money, they're not talking about shifting their mindset. They're not, you know, talking about getting on top of debt and having an emergency fund, both of which are very bright lights in the tunnel at the moment, because we know you're about to get on top of your debt. We know that you're planning to organize an emergency fund. Like I like that you're a C. I can see that becoming an A is definitely in your future. But I have loved this money dory. I feel like it is such a good reminder that we are all so harsh on ourselves until we like zoom out. We have thousands of people that write in to share their money stories with us, and I'm so grateful for that. But even if you don't end up on the show, maybe sitting down and writing out your money story and answering all of the money story questions like you know, what is your attitude towards money? What would you grade yourself? You know, what are your goals? How much are you spending? Like are you investing? Are you in debt? And actually sitting down and going, well, what does this actually look like? I think so many of us would regrade ourselves and go, actually, I'm doing pretty well and I'm pretty proud of myself. So I hope that people, after listening to your money story go if she thought she was an E and got upgraded to a seat, I could probably do the same.
Speaker 4: I hope. So I think that's why I wanted to come on because as much as I love hearing everybody who is fantastic, I also wanted to come on and be an inspiration for somebody who's in the same situation as me.
Speaker 2: I did think it was going to go into unrelatable territory when you did say I've got about one hundred and eighty and I was like, sorry, what like thousand in shares? Like this just became not the diary i'd anticipated, but money, Darrist. Sadly we've run out of time, but I have adored having this conversation with you. I'm so excited for everything that's in your future. I'm so excited that you get to go on the parenting journey and that you're getting all your money together. I get extra excited when people are only a couple of hundred dollars off paying off their debt, like it's a good time to be talking about money. So money, Doris, thank you so much. I've adored this, and I know our community will as well.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I've really loved chatting to units change my opinion of myself a little bit, which is lovely good.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, thank you so much. The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheper pty ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine.
Speaker 1: Thinking back to da