Speaker 1: Welcome to Law the Podcast time Lex Lazy, I'm Greg Barnes. Where we go again, Greg and being a retired judge.
Speaker 2: Congratulations Legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks very much. It's very exciting.
Speaker 2: Actually, your whole world opens up.
Speaker 1: Lex. I've had that happen before and I went back to being a judge. But it won't happen again. Don't do it again. You've learned your lesson but three times, and now I'm retired. One thing I did want to touch on was some comments made by Justice Ian Jackman of the Federal Court in a speech he made back in June in relation to delays in the delivery of judgments by judges in the civil jurisdiction of that court.
Speaker 2: I think he is Hugh Jackman's brother.
Speaker 1: He is Hugh Jackman's brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ian Jackman.
Speaker 1: So, just setting the scene, Federal Court does an enormous amount of civil work and a lot of public law and all the rest of it. Much of it requires reasonably lengthy hearings and even longer judgments. And what Justice Jackman noticed was that there are a lot of these judgments a long time to be delivered, periods of two and a half to three and a half years, and so in a speech recently, he identified seven cases where the particular judgment had taken at least two and a half years, And in the case of one judge, Justice Bernard Murphy, he put him in what he called the three and a half year club and made the point, which I think is a valid point to make, there is no federal judicial Commission, So the only way to make judges accountable is to make a public issue about delays in judgment. So what we're talking about is delays in the justice system. And there are parties in these cases who have to wait years to get an outcome. In one famous case, well one famous, one infamous case, perhaps one of the judges waited for two and a half years and then, as he put it, disappeared off into the sunset of retirement. Somebody else had to write it. Well, he was he was going, he was going to He was the one saddled with the job of writing the judgment. So what do you think about, looker. I watched his The extract from the speech, the.
Speaker 3: Egregious delays by some judges in delivering reserve judgments represent a real and growing threat to the rule of law in Australia. Delays of nine months or more are relatively common in some courts, including my own, and a significant number of judgments of the Federal Court are reserved for about two and a half years or more.
Speaker 2: I think it was on the Australian website and they flashed up the photographs of the judges, and I mean two minds about it, you know, I mean, I get the point he's making, and it's a very important point that justice delayed is justice denied for people. And you know, litigation, you know, we know, but I don't think most people know just how stressful it is unless you get involved. And it's expensive. Now you might say, oh, well it's corporations, it doesn't matter. Well it does because they've got contingencies relying on the result, etc. The question is would you go and do what he did, which was essentially a name and shame. I'm in two minds about it. I mean, on the one hand, I think, you know, maybe not. But now on the other hand, Richard Ackland, our friend who is a great journalist and used to run Media Watch for the ABC for a while, Justinian his great legal gossip website, he wouldn't like to gossip, but it is a gossip website. But he keeps track of these judgments. He's been doing it for years.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: In fact, I was just thinking the other day about a case. I did, a migration case. The two and a half years to get a judgment, but when we won it, I was so happy we won it. I'd actually forgotten that it was two and a half years we've been waiting. So look, I mean, there's really no excuse for it.
Speaker 1: When I went to the Supreme Court, I'd been there a year or so, I think, and I had also forgotten this particular case, which was a criminal appeal. I just had completely forgotten it. But the judgment had disappeared into the earth somehow. And then got a notification that the court was delivering judge. But it was quite surreal that here was the Court of Appeal delivering a judgment in which I've been counseled and now I'm a judge. Well, and that was twelve or eighteen months. Might have been a bit longer, yeah, I mean. He argued in his speech that these sort of delays are a breach of the rule of law, and it's hard to it's really hard to argue with that. And the other point is you can't blame the lawyers. I mean, judges are paid handsomely to do their work and everyone knows judgment writing is a challenge. They get writers blocked. There are times when you just can't bring yourself to do it because you just can't make the brain work. But it's got to be dealt with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny about a judgments. I mean, most of our listeners and most people don't read judgments very wisely. But I think one of the issues about judgments some of them are very long legs. Yes, really long.
Speaker 1: We have been inundated with paper over the last twenty years or yeah, I mean that's what they said about the court of appeal when Victoria had a Court of Appeal introduced in the nineteen nineties. I think it was all that was going to do was at a level of complexity that was beyond comprehension to the original or the old process of full courts. And I think that's happened. There is a mountain. So for our listeners.
Speaker 2: Most jurisdictions around Australia have a separate well not all of the bigger jurisdictions have a separate court which is called the Court of Appeal, and those judges sit in that division. They just hear appeals. They're not hearing murder trials etc. You know, it's a separate division in the court. I've had it in the UK for years and years. That's where it came from.
Speaker 1: Not always a good idea.
Speaker 2: But look anyway, another Jackman has made himself famous.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, indeed, now the other judge who's caused a bit of a stir or some weeks ago now was just a speech Jones of the High Court that was a cracker of a speech, made a speech to the what was it, the North Queensland Law Association. Somebody said he probably thought speaking at an out of the way function like that. No one read it, everybody's looked at it, and he's been the subject of a fair bit of criticism. The point that he's making is that the Samuel Griffith Society is now effectively advocating for a US style court stacking system.
Speaker 2: So again for listeners to Samuel Griffith Society as an obscure society. Samuel Griffith was a former Premier and Chief Justice of Queensland and on one of the first High Court judges in Australia and it's a conservative group of lawyers, and it's a bit like you know, some people might have heard of the Federalist Society in the US, which is the go to place for Trump and his administration to get their judges from reliably conservative people. So that was the essence of the attack.
Speaker 1: And they stand accused of advancing a sort of conservative agenda within the Samuel Griffith Society and attracting people who might eventually grow into High Court judges who will have a conservative outlook. And the conservative outlook means treating things like the Australian Constitution in the way it would have been treated one. So I hope they go to court in a whole and buggy, Yes, well exactly, and don't use telephones. Handwrite your judgments, yes, English, tea, no coffee. I want everything a field day with handwritten and judgments that will take you.
Speaker 2: This is sounding like ruined hg.
Speaker 1: He he Justice Bench. Jones described Samuel Griffith as Marx adjacent in the cause of making the point that they had completely missed it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you should say that I didn't know much about Jamuel Griffiths but there's I looked up a biography of him and I had to flick through it, and he was pro worker. This is before the Labor Party exists. Pro worker, you know, I mean conservative on some things, and I think I read that when it came to the Kannak workers as they used to be called from the Pacific Islands on sugar plantations, he was actually big on stopping abuse by employers, and you know, in those days, sort of radic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've always thought, though, Leks, that there's a lot of mythology about appointing judges in Australia that we pretend it's not political.
Speaker 1: Of course it's political.
Speaker 2: Course it's political.
Speaker 1: Every appointment is political.
Speaker 2: That's why you get appointed. Yeah, I'm too political. You can be political and then there's political.
Speaker 1: I told you Peter dunn't describe me as a left wing idea Logue. Fantastic appointed by Rob Hols. Judges are appointed Roberts.
Speaker 2: Was the Attorney General in Victoria. It's fantastic bloke and we're going to get him on one day.
Speaker 1: Yes, he may come on and say he regrets my appointment, but I don't think. I don't think so. One of the I think one of the serious things about this, the point that I took out of Justice Bench Jones's address was that he is concerned, I think, and Michael Kirby's written about this, about this sort of underlying criticism of the judgment in Marbo and associated judgments, I mean constantly criticized.
Speaker 2: I know Marbo. You know, the Marbo judgment, which I think every Australian knows, if only because they've watched the Castle where he talks about Marbo and the var and the constant you know, which of course accorded right to Aboriginal land for Aboriginal people with the concept of title like we all have in our suburban houses. It's not particularly radical. It's just an extension of the common law. I mean, it's you know, you read the judgments. There's nothing radical about it. No, I mean, honestly, I mean it's just I was working in politics at the time in the nineteen nineties and Richard Court was the Premier of Wa Conservative Margaret Court Tennis plaz brother and he used to come to these meetings of premiers and prime ministers and they'd all make an opening statement. And every opening statement he made that I heard, which was three or four of them. He'd say, Marbo is going to destroy Western Australia. The whole of Perth will be subject to a native title claim he produced these maps. I mean it was just absurd, you know, And this was sort of this fear campaign whipped up. Now what that he is thirty five years on Marlbo's part of the furniture except for a few obsessive and cranks. Talking about Robert Beach Jones, the judge who I don't know, but his wife is a playwright who's just done a play which has got rave reviews. And I can't remember the name of the play. But maybe while we're talking or look her up. Okay, her name, her name the brilliant Matthew here. We can't go past him. Her his name is Robert Beach Jones, and we just want to know who his wife is. Matthew. Matthew's like the guy you know every footy, every footy commentator has to go to. That's the stacks. How many games he plays, how many games? How many yards? How many yards is he achieved? That's his wife? Oh been to several Yeah, and what's the new play. There's one that's out at the moment or has been out recently, it'said huge. Yeah, Prima Facing Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well there's too there's Prima Facing in Nindauelia. Yeah yeah, so so you know she's outstanding. Yeah, he's an interesting guy. He spent some time because you know, I live part of my time in Hobart, he's spent some time. I think he went to Bernie High School in the northwest coast of Tasmania. And apparently I don't know him at all, but really decent. I don't know either. I love the speech and I have empathy with a speech and with him as a judge he can look forward to a controversial career from him.
Speaker 2: And also these attacks or the judge shouldn't do this. The right wing judges do it all the time, always out there, you.
Speaker 1: Know, giving speeches. It's the whole other topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not go there.
Speaker 1: Let's go to a topic diary or heart Greg the abdul Haiti against the Commonwealth case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how raation judgment of the High Court. So people might have been following a series of cases since twenty twenty three where the High Court said, you know, because the Commonwealth Government had locked up a lot of people who had lost their visas because they'd committed criminal offenses generally not always, I don't think, but breach of visa and they can't go back to the country from which they came because they'll be persecuted and there's no reasonable prospect of that happening in the future. And what the High Court is said back in twenty twenty three, you can't just keep them there. You can't just detain people forever. In a day and then people will remember. The Commonwealth government then scrambled because they had to release people that put them on curfews. I mean, we had this hysteria in the media that somehow there was these hordes of people coming into the community who are going to attack us all. And then what happened was that the government's fix were struck down in a High Court.
Speaker 1: And this was predictable.
Speaker 2: If you falsely imprison someone, if you hold a person as either a government official or a police or even privately, and you don't have any lawful basis for doing so, it's called false imprisonment. Yeah, it's a taught it's a taught COMPENSI consert damages, Yeah, you consert. And so what's going to happen. This case was about a guy who'd been locked up for a long period of time. He and I think the Commonwealth said, it's about two hundred and forty people who are in this category will now be able to sue for false imprisonment. Commonwealth tried to say to the High Court, well, we thought the law was different, so we weren't falsely imprisoning them, and the High Court said, well, it's not the way it works. You're either were or you weren't. So the compensation claims are going to be huge. I mean, hard to quantify, but certainly well under the minions.
Speaker 1: The argument they ran, the Comonwealth ran was effectively, the officials who detained these people had a belief that what they were doing was valid. Yeah, and therefore, so therefore it's okay. Yeah. So if he's like, you're doing one hundred and sixty kilometers an hour in the sixty zone, Yeah, that's the problem. Do you think that's an idea?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay, that's okay. That's the problem with that argument.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It brings up another point is the amount of money that's been spent on immigration cases over the years and compensation claims. I mean people forget there was seventy million paid by the Commonwealth for people detained on man As Island back in two thousand and seventeen, big class action. There's been numerous cases of people who have suffered physical and mental abuse, we been falsely in prisoned, been paid out millions, you know, hundreds of millions.
Speaker 1: So there's a core principle involved, goes back to the Magna Carta. Yeah, if you're going to lock someone up, it's got to be into a valid law, absolutely right.
Speaker 2: And in fact, I'm aware of some examples of where people have been held for a number of hours beyond the period in which police were entitled to hold them, and they've written to the police saying we're going to take legal action and they get a payout. There's one case in South Australia. I think he was only held for four and a half hours and he got five thousand. So the courts, I think take it pretty seriously because they should, and so they should because as you start, it's core principle. Gabriel Shipton is here with us today. Gabriel Shipton's become a very good friend of mine and we work together on Julian Assange's campaign. Gabriel really led that globally and from Australia, and he is Julian's brother. He's also a very good documentary filmmaker. Put out a great doco that many would have seen called Ithaca, which was about Julian and the quest to free him. Now he's set up an amazing project, I should declare I am involved in this called the Information Rights Project, which is really all about freedom of speech and protection of whistleblowers and journalists and others. So we thought he'd be a good person to come along, Les and yeah, still each wisdom on freedom of speech. Absolutely, I followed it during the time. Followed your reference during the time, Greg as well on behalf of Julian and the whole saga struck me as a horrifying nightmare for the people who are involved in it. Yeah, I mean, Gabriel, you, of course spent a lot of time in the United States. I don't know how many trips. How many trips did.
Speaker 4: You do at the end there I was going once a month, Yeah, yeah, once a month for a week at a time when Congress and Senate were in session. I've sort of lost count of the amount of trips.
Speaker 2: And I mean my memory of it was that, you know, you would have done thirty or forty trips.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something like that. Would have definitely gotten up there. But it did feel like a second home. Always to Washington, Yeah, always to Washington. We did traveled around the US quite a bit, but as we lobbied more and more, we sort of learned that, you know, we had to go where the power was, and that was Washington.
Speaker 1: Gabriel, There'll be people who know they know the name Dulanissange, but probably can't recall much of the detail about it except that it was in the news. Who might be listening to this podcast, So can you give us just a really short, potted summary of, Hey, you got to the stage of being in the position of lobbying in the United States? Basically what stage of the whole case?
Speaker 2: We? Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: So, Julian started WikiLeaks in two thousand and six. It was a leak publishing website. In twenty ten, they published Chelsea Manning's Leaks. Chelsea Manning was a military private who leaked vast tranchers of documents that she had access to, which was Afghanistan war files. Iraq War files, two hundred and fifty thousand diplomatic cables from inside the diplomatic core of the United States then.
Speaker 1: And some famous film. Yes, that's right, and had a collateral murder video that was.
Speaker 4: The most famous piece, which showed a helicopter gunship mowing down a couple of Reuters journalists.
Speaker 1: With commentary, Yeah, with commentary with expressed pleasure having succeeded. No, No, it's extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: Ship, all right, master. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that was, yeah, the most famous piece and very moving and really exposed what was going on in the ground in Iraq, that nobody really really understood these machines of war and the people using them. That would happened in twenty eleven. Fast forward to twenty nineteen. It was the first Trump administration. Mike Pompeo, then CIA director, had basically declared a fatoir against Julian and Wiki League, saying We're coming after you no matter what. And it was in twenty nineteen that Julian was taken from the ecuador In embassy where he had been given refuge for seven or for some years. For seven years or so, he'd been given asylum by Ecuador and then he was taken and put in a Bellmarsh maximum security prison, which was in London. And so this was during that period where the US had launched these extradition proceedings trying to get Julian back to the United States to prosecute him for publishing this information that embarrassed the US government majorly they wanted revenge. And it was during that period that this whole campaign and lobbying was taking place.
Speaker 1: And I think for many.
Speaker 4: Years there was a lot of lobbying and a lot of political work done in Europe, but nobody had really really dared to go into the United States. But I was never involved in wiki leagues, so I sort of had this, I guess, a blank slate that I could go there and I wouldn't be threatened by the authorities there.
Speaker 1: It was an allegation of sexual offending too, made in Sweden. Was it in Sweden?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was an original the original extradition request from Sweden related to it was a preliminary investigation that was going on in Sweden. And there's this, you know, these strange rules that were all sort of I guess at every point the system was sort of turned against Julian. Yes, and that led to him having to take refuge in the Ecuador.
Speaker 1: Because if he'd been extradited from the UK to Sweden had a bad track record turning people over. The next stop would be the United States.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the Sweden was a place where extraordinary rendition happened during the War on Terror, and so that was the fear that he would go to Sweden and then just be moved on straight away to the United States.
Speaker 1: And Greg, you are one of the lawyers.
Speaker 2: I was certainly involved at the Australian end and in the latter part doing more of the political work with Gabriel and the team and his dad and others. Of course, we got that great news that a deal had been struck. What had happened was that the appeal process in the UK. My view of it was that the judges in the UK were saying, we're not that comfortable with this extradition, and I think that they are in some difficulty. I mean, the alban Asi government was helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're pushing them along the whole way.
Speaker 2: We had to push them, We had to push them, but they were helpful. And of course what's it now twenty twenty three, two.
Speaker 4: Years ago so twenty four, twenty four he stepped off that plane.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was doing a case in Newcastle and the judge said to me, I think today's going to be a very busy day for you. Mister Barnes, have already seen you on TV. If you need to take the day off, you know, I can just tell the jury, I said. I looked at my client and thought I better keep going. That was very nice of him, he said, not that I'm saying what side I'm on you because I'm Jones. I shouldn't say, because I shouldn't know. But it was a great result, and you know, but it should never have happened. It was a great injustice, Gabriel you one of the things you did do and a lot of these names are very familiar to Australian's Thomas Massey, Marjorie Taylor, Green, Tucker Carlson. I mean you, you know, you dealt with some really high profile people in the US, and I think what was interesting was that it was across the political spectrum too, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned some who were sort of I guess what they're called American firsts or mugger muga types and we also had people like Ilhan Omer, Alexandriacazio Cortez, like these sorts of figures from the other side, that sort of horseshoe politics I think they call, Yeah, the far left on the far right coming together, and we found that really really powerful. Like these news stories in themselves is when you know, when Alexandria Casio Cortez and madri Taylor Green both signed on a letter for calling for the freedom of Juliana Sange, that would make headlines just because it's those two signing on to a letter for themselves. But you really have to check your politics at the door sometimes when you go into some of these meetings and really drill down focus on the principle. Congress is like a it's like a real circus, you know, you'd walk into these office buildings. It's very different from our system. Like there's been a lot of lobbying around at the moment with this parliamentary past system. David pocox Us for transparency in the States. Anybody can walk into lobby anybody, Yeah, anybody, you know. I sort of learned this on the way. I like, oh, do we need to hire a lobbyist, you know, we waste a little bit of money on a lobbyist, and then I thought, oh, holy shit, I can just walk in and do this myself, and you know, put on my suit and then just started walking around Congress and you just go through security and you just go and knock on. You know, they call a door knocking, and that's literally what it is. You go and knock on. You know, Alexandria her door was always locked, actually, so someone had come to the door and then stick their head out and peer out and say, do you have an appointment? But a lot of the time it was walking the halls of Congress. You know, we'd have a hit list of you know, one hundred or so that we thought we could get to knocking the doors and just asking to go and see them. And sometimes it would work out. Sometimes you'd run into people in the hallway and sometimes yeah, you would people tell you to buger off. But through that method and through multiple multiple trips, we built up this coalition, this constituency in Congress, and we had allies in there who would be like, come and use our office if you ever need water or charge your phone or do some photocopying, come in and see us and then we would have these lobbying to like these congressional letters that we put together. But I was just thinking the other day, like I remember going to somebody's office and I hadn't really done my research on this person. And I walked into the office, and each person's congressional office they decorate them with all you know, where they've come from. Yeah, you know, sometimes you'd see a rugby ball in there and you're like, okay, I've got an inn. We can talk about rugby. All these different things that you know, you sort of learn the signs when you walk into someone's office. And this was a particular congressman from Louisiana, and I walked into his office and he had a huge photo of him jumping out of a helicopter as a Navy seal, and I thought, oh shit, what am I going to say to this guy in this meeting about Julian Assange. Anyway, went into his office and behind his desk he had a chin up bar there and all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: So like a very fit guy.
Speaker 4: And you know, his major issue with Julian's case was the fact that well this was actually a sort of piece of propaganda that was put out by the opposing side that Julian revealed names of the myths. Yeah, it was one of the great myths, and so we always had to find ways around these myths. And I thought, what am I going to do with this guy, and like anyway, we started talking and talking, and eventually I sort of managed to convince him that these leagues had actually saved servicemen, that the leagues, and particularly in Afghanistan, what was published and Iraq, actually stopped the US government from sending troops there. Famously in Iraq was a cable that led to the Obama administration eventually pulling out troops from Iraq. And talking to him about that eventually convinced him that what Julian had done was a good thing, and he ended up coming to our side and said that he would sign on to a letter and actually gave me one of his challenge coins. They have these weird coins over there called challenge coins, and each congress person makes their own printed coin that they hand around to people, and he ended up giving me his challenge coins. So you just got to do the work in that sense, and you go from person to person and just pitch your case and you took.
Speaker 2: A group of Australian MPs over there, including Barnaby Joyce. But again, you know, I mean, I remember walking into a room with Gabriel and Canberra and there's Matt Canavan sitting next to Adam Bantt, and I said, nowhere else would this happen. I need you to tell this story because people need to hear this story about Barnaby and Johnny Depp and the Department of Justice.
Speaker 4: I guess it starts famously Barnaby Joyce. I think he's threatened to kill Bob. Was it doing this Johnny Depp's dogs for quarantine breaches? That's right, quarantine breaches. And I think Barnaby was was he deputy p He was Deputy Prime Minister at the time, And so we were going into these meetings over in the US, and Barnaby would relay this story about how he could have had Johnny Deppenamber Heard imprisoned, but Australia had done the US a favor in this context and let them go. And so he had first hand experience about how political intervention could happen through this case. And so we had all these meetings and we had this big meeting at the Department of Justice where we were taken in into the department and were sat across from a whole It must have been six or seven lawyers from the Department of Justice, and each one of our parliamentary delegation went round and had a you know, by that time, they'd all practiced their pitch really well, and each one had sort of segmented off a bit that they spoke about, and Barnaby's bit was this pistol and Booze story, and I think it was a way to show that Barnaby Joyce, who was at the top level of government, to show to these people that a political intervention is possible and it can happen. There was a lot of sort of sniggering going on and like, oh not the pistol and booze story and Johnny demp again. But you know, I think Barnaby's incredible. He's got this real way of relating things to people and.
Speaker 2: Bringing what they call a good retail apology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly, and bringing in these famous characters that everybody knew, and relating this story that he had direct firsthand experience with. I think it made an impression. It definitely is a memorable story.
Speaker 1: It's one of you.
Speaker 2: You've got many great stories, but just talking about what you do these days. And as I said, I've got some involvement in this Information Rights Project. Tell us about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: So as you outline that campaign that went on for five years that you're very much involved with as well, we sort of found out that there was no organization that could do everything we wanted, and we regognized sort of and a couple of others. I just built the bikers. We were riding it in a sense, and we knew exactly what we needed, and we sort of cobbled together to form this incredibly successful campaign that turned the tide for Julian and An't eventually brought him home. And the Information Rights Project is born of that campaign, and it's all those learnings and experience that we had in fighting for Julian that we've now transferred into the Information Rights Project so that we can use it to help others that have been persecuted for exercising their right to freedom of speech. And it's people like journalists, whistleblowers and technologists like Julian, and we can come to their aid in a very sort of practical sense with funding, Like at the moment, we're funding a safe house for a four Corners whistleblower who's on the run, who's actually has credible threats from ISIS, and so we're funding his safe house, David McBride, who is currently serving a sentence for his revelations about the war in Afghanistan. We've supported his legal fees and supported his family as well, And so like Julian's case, we're very risky to start with, and that a lot of people didn't want to touch. We're sort of at the coal face with a lot of these whistleblower cases and journalists like Mary Costaketis who is facing a lawsuit for tweeting and taking on these cases that a lot of people are afraid to get around. And we've been going for a year only and we're already getting the ABC, the Human Rights Law Center already coming to us with these whistleblowers because there's just no one else to go. There's no one else out there. And we spoke recently at the Friends of Whistleblowers in the Parliament, so there's a new parliamentary bipartisan parliamentary group that's been formed. David Pocock is one of the leaders of that, but also Paul scar from the Liberals, and people like Bridget Mackenzie were at that meeting, and Andrew Wilkie. So we call it getting the band back together for the Friends of Julian group. But it's a lot of these same people that we lobbied very hard for in Parliament, they're now putting their energy into helping other whistleblowers. So that's really encouraging to see that sort of carry over. But also I think it's a little bit humbling that our group is only a year old and we're already speaking at these present groups do.
Speaker 1: A great job with that's elmon.
Speaker 2: You know. I think people don't realize if you're a whistleblower just how hard it is for you. Your life changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does.
Speaker 2: I mean Andrew Wilkie was of course an example. We've seen them in the law over the years, lex and you're just shunned despite all the supposed cultural change in organizations. Oh we want you to come forward when you do, they really don't.
Speaker 1: They don't, They really don't want you to come forward, particularly in government.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the secrecy is just me It just seems to be DNA of government and yeah, that's right, and that's what we're up fighting against. All right, Well, look we can have here here all day, but we'll get you back because the work you're doing is fantastic. I think what's really important is that out of the Assange cases, I know that this is one of the things we used to talk about. Gabriel was basically and I said this to Andrew Bolt once on the sky he had me on and I said, look, you're sitting there at sky and you say something the Americans don't like, reveal something Americans don't like. You could be on the end of our extradition request, you know, the Americans coming to the Australians and saying we want to charge Bolt. And he thought about that and he said, yeah, no, Look I get it. And I think that's what people don't realize is that that was the danger of that case, you know.
Speaker 4: And there's that prosecutorial pathway, and prosecutors know that they can put someone through the ringer even if they don't get a you know, they're not going before a judge or a jury. They know that they can bring these extradition hearings. They can have someone in prison for five years.
Speaker 2: They they can shut you down. Yeah, and that's the whole idea exactly. Okay, well, thank you gabriel a fantastic.
Speaker 1: Really are thank you for going in. Thanks for being part of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Where are we going to be next time? Les, We're going to be here. I might be overseas into state. But what I want to assure people is it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. This is I just thought this is as reliable as the rest is politics.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. It's on the dot every week.
Speaker 1: Question is who's Rory Stuart as it you or me.
Speaker 2: I'd rather be Rory than Alistair Campbell given Alistairs background.
Speaker 1: Well, don't say anymore because we might want to get him on.
Speaker 2: Yeah we might. That's true. All right, Thanks good yeah, Matthew all next time, See you guys.
Speaker 1: This episode was produced by Bravecasting Media, edited by Michael Tankard, original music by Justin Humphries from Phoenix Sound Studios. This podcast is recorded on the lands of the Orangerie people of the Cooler Nation. We pay our respects to their elders, past, present and emerging. Thank you for listening. See you next week.