Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold one I four point three podcast playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 1: Got anything good? Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Heavy Friday on the show then we call it double thumbs up. It's our Friday recommendations. It might be a new TV show you want to stream over the weekend, or book you want to read and please share yours. What are you really enjoying at the moment? What are you into? Four seventy five three one oh four three book and a TV show?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 2: A book, finish it yesterday evening. It's called a Marriage at Sea. I don't read tons of nonfiction, but this was is a nonfiction book that read like a page turn aut fiction. Once I got into it, I become obsessed with it. I've been going to bed too late this week because of this bloody book. Just hear about this story. This is a true story. It's called Marriage at Sea in the seventies, British couple just a hum drum couple, Morris and Marilyn, that get married, They fall in love. There are just good people that would live next door. You wouldn't know much about them. However, he's into sailing, she's not. She gets into sailing. This is what happens in a relationship. They decide that actually they'd like to set up the house sell from the UK around the world to New Zealand.
Speaker 1: They get a boat. He's a skilled navigator.
Speaker 2: However, midway through the trip, in the middle of the night, and they've got no radio transmitter, a well smashes their boat in half, sinking it. There's no radio transmitter. This is in the seventies. They're now marooned in a very small dinghy together for one hundred and eighteen days. It's you and your partner. So all the things you know we were talking about half an hour ago, how sometimes you're drawn together because of similarities and what you see in each other. You're also those parts of you where you complete other parts that maybe the other person doesn't have. Suddenly, when you're in a boat, I'm guessing for one hundred and eighteen days, you think about how much we love our partners. But one hundred and eighteen days you cannot escape each other. You're going to irritate each other. The things that initially you found quite cute and now going to become problematic, so mal and the woman is very extrovert, and she keeps their spirits up every day. More sadly, you see emotionally deteriorating and fading away as he's losing the will. They've got no gear to catch fish. They have to use safety pins to try and spearfish. There's one bit where she Marilyn drags a shark right, a basking shark into this dinghy, and they butcher it and eat its liver or they die hundred and eighteen days stuck in small dig in the middle of the ocean. Their flares don't work. When they see passing ships, you just think you're going to die in the boat. How do you not lose hope? The book is about that.
Speaker 3: Wow, it is.
Speaker 2: It's a true story. It's incredible. The great thing is is that the middle of the book suddenly they're rescued. The rest of the story thing we're only halfway through the book is then what happened to them afterwards? That bit, and this is where the great writing kicks in, is even just as incredible.
Speaker 1: What happens to that couple.
Speaker 2: They became huge chat show stars around the world, but they were never the same again. It's an amazing story and it's a very short book you've read in a couple of days. It's called a Marriage at Sea. Sophie Elmhurst is the author. I cannot recommend it enough. And a new TV show Steve Carell, one of the best comic actors in the world, isn't a brand new TV show called Rooster. It's brilliant. I saw the first episode this week. It's the guy the head writers, Bill Lawrence, who also did Shrinking and ted Lasso and Scrubs, which is back at the moment. And if you're a Scrubs fan, John c Riley is in this yes, and he's got an.
Speaker 1: Incredible character in it.
Speaker 2: It's so good. Really really can't recommend it enough. That's very good. But the book if you're looking for a great book to read, and you'll read it in a couple of days. It's an insane story and as you're reading it, you will put your own relationship in it. And I'm thinking I would have just jumped over that boot after about the third Hourah, good luck take me sharks, if we'll have your way with me. With Marriage at Sea is what is called Patsy what's your double thumbs up this week?
Speaker 4: Well, I am a true crime fan and Amityville an origin story we are writing to on Prime. It's a full part documentary series about the Amityville murders on Long Island. But it is a really.
Speaker 2: Close I want to just say, as a respectful broadcast of the Way You Went, it is about the.
Speaker 1: Well it's in the you. She's like death bombs.
Speaker 4: I love this. I do love true crime.
Speaker 1: I do love it in this like a real kind of like fetish. Now, I love it. I love it. I just go get it out think about it.
Speaker 4: You know, this is brilliant and it looks at some of the conspiracy theories about the whole situation, and one that a lot of the Cleveloyans believe is that there's this evil spirit on the land where the house was built. Anyway, I loved it. If you're into true crime and historic crime, you might like it. It's on Prime.
Speaker 2: True crime is the biggest john in for TV and podcasts in the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so hot right now, Lady Gaga.
Speaker 1: Can you believe it is the possessed land that is doing it for me? Chris?
Speaker 4: Can you believe it's thirty years since the Birdcage movie came out. It's thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: I saw, I saw, that's right, talk about the other day, yes.
Speaker 4: And so he put something up on Instagram. I saw it yesterday. It was quite funny and how agadore the house boy. Her voice he modeled off his grandmama and mama and you know, sadly now Robin Williams and Gene Hackman aren't with us. But it's one movie.
Speaker 2: Way ahead of its time as well. Beautiful, really beautiful movie there.
Speaker 4: It is the one movie where I have been sitting in the cinema and I start crying. I am laughing so hard, and.
Speaker 1: You almaly doing that only if it's true crime. That's right.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter how what he did to them, It doesn't matter how many times we watch it. It's one of those great family classics that we'll just put on and it always makes you feel better. So thirty years it's on Prime if you want to catch.
Speaker 1: Up with it again. What are you into the moment? Real?
Speaker 3: I am loving Traitors season three. I don't know if you guys have watched Traders. It's been around for.
Speaker 1: A little while.
Speaker 3: Very good, Oh my god, it is Oh it's brilliant. It is I reckon probably the best new reality show in maybe twenty years, maybe since Survivor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Yeah, it's smart, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's brilliant.
Speaker 4: So it's the premis.
Speaker 3: It's set in Scotland, in the Highlands, in this beautiful, lush castle.
Speaker 1: My friend Claudia hosted Curdie Winking with the Big French.
Speaker 2: She is, yes, twenty five years she's great, but she's really good.
Speaker 3: So there's twenty what they call Faithful's twenty people trying to build up a prize pool to win.
Speaker 1: At the end of the game.
Speaker 3: There are two or three secret traitors who have been sort of randomly selected and.
Speaker 1: They have secret meetings.
Speaker 4: Parts isn't a bit like the Mole.
Speaker 3: It is very similar to the Mole, except so everything better. Every night the traders kill one of the Faithful.
Speaker 2: And they have to do something like touch that touch another person's face.
Speaker 3: Yes, death yes, And then all the Faithful, everyone in the group has to banish who they think is the traitor that night. So you see, like people become really close best friends then turn on each other.
Speaker 2: It's it's and also because they all know what the show is they're all paranoid anyway, and so you know what, we just make up stories.
Speaker 1: We're just find evidence to ye theory. They're all going, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's so and so, and there are other people in it who are very good liars or they're over selling somebody who. I think it's them, you know, because you see the other day they didn't pick up that bit of rubbish. So I think they're traitors, you know, going, oh, I think you're sort of thing A trader would say.
Speaker 3: One of them was one of They voted out this poor girl because she didn't cheers when they all said cheers to the faithful, and she didn't cheers because she had like a broken arm or something.
Speaker 1: I didn't cheers because I had a broken arm, and they've voted her out.
Speaker 3: It is the very best And what's it is it on ten?
Speaker 1: It's on ten player.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, you can watch all the US seasons, all the UK seasons. The US season is actually hosted by Alan Cumming.
Speaker 1: Who's incredible, right, I didn't know that pick.
Speaker 3: Any season you want, they're all amazing, but season three US I'm watching at the moment and it is phenomenal as well.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Show one podcast,